How old should kids be to bathe alone?

4 or 5 obviously wouldn’t full right up

I would say 5 or 6 in the shower. 8 seems way too old to be in there while they bathe.

My 10.5 year old requires verbal reminders from the door but I don’t go in.

3 Likes

My daughter has been bathing herself since she was 5 or 6

My son has been showering by himself since he was 5.

I think at eight privacy is deserved!

9 Likes

My 7 year old has been showering and cleaning himself since he was 4. I stayed in there the first 2-3 months to make sure he cleaned right. And he always did good.

1 Like

I’ve just started at 8 but I’m in ear shot and still help with her hair if needed

2 Likes

With my oldest when he was 6 but with my daughter she is 8 she is autistic and has parental disorders and always has to be reminded so I sit in there with her and remind her what she has to do

Like every three minutes or so go too the door and yell out you ok etc

1 Like
  1. After I saw they knew the whole routine. I still check every now and then with my 8 year old because he loathes bath time and always tries to skip on his hair.

Those of u that say 4/5 do u leave them alone. I’m too much of a worrier

1 Like

My son is 4 and showers Almost by himself I ofcourse do a look over of his body because a good play day has dirt every where :joy: but I let him shower wash his body and face an then I wash his hair at the end

My 8 year old son I don’t have to do anything but turn the water on. My 7 year old daughter still needs help doing her hair but I’m usually just in the kitchen so if she hollers I can hear her.

8? Definitely by himself

Let him bathe alone , just call from the door to check on him. I know when I was that age I wanted some privacy because you know you’re naked and that it doesn’t always feel right to have someone there while your naked

1 Like

My daughter has been showering herself since she was 5 and my son is now 5 and starting to on his own as well.

I let my daughter spend time alone at 4 with me close by in another room, in hearing distance but would help wash hair.

1 Like

My boys are 6&3 and they bath alone . I check on them etc. But they know how to bath themselves. My daughter is a year old and obviously I set with her .

I make sure my three year old is washed. And I sit in there while he plays for a bit. My 6 year old only likes showers. Or will shower then take a bath

5/6 with both of my girls…throwing in “make sure you wash your crack…” :joy:

6 Likes

My 9 yr old does it herself. My 8 yr old son… I have to sit in the bathroom with him and tell him to shower correctly cause he try’s to half ass it. My 5 yr old hates water so I still help her

I have 4 kids and ages 3 1/2-13. Age 8-9 I let them bathe alone… before that I would wash them accept for private areas because I’m sorry to say kids do not wash properly at all and even now the 3 of the older ones bathe alone they still do not wash properly esp their hair, behind their ears and god knows what else.

1 Like

At 8 he should definitely be bathing or showering himself on his own, and he should have privacy to do so.

1 Like

Idk I have an 8 year old that I have to remind him to use soap so…

2 Likes

5 but I would still wash her hair and rinse it

Mine was 4… I would pop in and out while she’s in there and of course bathe her once she’s finishing playing… Now she’s 5 and wants to do everything on her own. :sleepy:

I say 4 but personally my son is 2 almost 3 and I allow him to shower by himself I check on him periodically and I wash his hair cause he cant yet but he knows how to fully wash his body properly so he does that himself as well as shut water off and get out when hes ready and he drys himself off by 5 I shouldn’t have to check on him but maybe once same thing will go for my daughter

My step daughter is 8 and we still have to go in there to help her wash her hair but she will call us into the bathroom when she is ready for us to help her.

My daughter since she was 4, but she needs help with her hair sometimes, I just stay where I can hear her. My son since about the same age. He is 8 now and won’t even let me in the bathroom if he is not dressed.

My kids shower themselves :-/
3, 6 and 9. The 3 year old has been washing her own body for at least a year? She tries to do her hair herself now. She still gets a little help

1 Like

My kids range feom 13,10,9 and 4 they all have bathed themselves since 4

I got tired of getting completely soaked every night from the splashing so I installed a mirror so I can watch my almost 3 year old daughter from the comfort of my couch which is located conveniently right outside the bathroom door. :grin:

2 Likes

4 :woman_shrugging:t2: ive taught my kids to be private an not even mom an dad should be seeing them naked

5 Likes

My son turns 3 in March and he sits in the bath by himself while I clean or sit in the next room. I wash him though after he plays for a little bit!

1 Like

4 yrs old. Hes very independent which i was weird about at first an didnt understand but now im greatful lol hes 6 now and does a good job. He likes his privacy an i respect that. He always smells good an enjoys it. I let him pick out his clothes so he feels like he can express himself. He picks out his own “manly” soaps and scrubbers an lotions an body sprays . its sort of like potty training with allowing them to pick out their big boy underwear for encouragement. The only thing i have to do is remind him which is hot an cold knobs then he does his thing

My kids started showering at 6 years old. I showed them how to wash their hair etc and then let them do it. I think at 8 he should be showering by himself.

1 Like

Lol actually that was my girls age, about 8

My daughter is 6 she bathes herself (she knows privacy is important) sometimes I still need to go in and help with her hair but normally she’s pretty good with being by herself. She’s been bathing herself since she was five

My kids were 6 when they could bathe or shower by themselves

My 5 year old loves baths but we only have a shower stall in our apartment. She hates the shower so I take one with her and we sit down and play so she doesn’t get upset

2 Likes

My kids are 9&7 and started when they were 5.I let them do their thing,and just pop in to check if they ok.I like standing there when they get out because accidents happen so easily…

1 Like

My 2 yr old bathes by himself but then again if I put him in when I’m busy I also put in an sibling so he’s always watched

4 Likes

I have five kids. 8, 6, 4 & 3yr old twins. I never leave them alone in the shower/bath but they can all wash themselves. Body & hair. Occasionally the littles will ask me to rinse their hair out but that’s all.

Mine were on their own from the time they knew how to wash their own hair completely.

1 Like

My daughter who is 7 has been taking herself into the shower since she was 4. She knows her shower routine and her private space.

My 9 year old boy has been showering himself since he was 6. I have two girls, 5 & 8; I still bathe both of them. They both have extremely long hair and need help washing and rinsing. And mostly they wash their body’s, I help with reminding armpits, behind ears, between toes. & help with their private area. My littlest has had awful infections from soap getting there and not being rinsed. We don’t use soap there. They have their own feminine products, and are learning but it’s still a work in progress for them. & I still bathe my 3 year old. I feel that’s way too young to properly clean yourself. First he just loves water and wants to play, and will dump all the shampoos-out if unsupervised. :woman_shrugging:t3: to each their own. This is just works for me and my kiddos. @ least for now.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t remember because i just went with the flow, they have to bathe alone eventually.

1 Like

He should be able to handle it himself, but if you are concerned, leave the door cracked open a few inches and just ask if he needs anything from time to time. I am a mother of 3 and gramma of 2. You might consider showers instead of filling the bath tub, if you’re concerned about drowning. Get the temperature for water ready and let him do his own thing!

2 Likes

My son has been bathing by himself for about 2 years now. Hes 7 he knows he needs to wash everything and is good about it.

1 Like

My kids are 5,6 and 7 they play in the tub by themselves with the door open, I wash their hair and body, then when they are about to get out they rinse with the shower to get cleaned off. I trust them to be in the bath but not to wash. I let them help and learn but make sure it’s done right.

Kind of like asking when did you stop wiping the poop from their butt lol

2 Likes

My son started bathing by himself at about 7, but my husband still goes in there once or twice a week to make sure he thoroughly washes.

My oldest is about to turn 10. I wash her hair but she does the rest. I make sure ask her, did yo wash your arms? Legs? Feet? Etc.

My second oldest is 5 and I still help her, I have to because she likes to shower insead of bathe.

5/6 when they wanted privacy.
I helped with their hair and would check on them still.
By 8 they didn’t need us to help.

1 Like

My Sons 2 and can almost wash himself completely (not a good enough booty n behind his ears😂) in the shower alone, I’m in the bathroom ofcorse but he’s 80% independent in the shower

1 Like

This really depends on the child! My 8 year old needs reminders on everything! He does it himself but I do wash his hair occasionally and I wash all my children’s backs every other night! Just me as a mom! Now I also have a 5 year old that washes every inch of his body on his own without a problem! Like I said depends on the child and the child’s independence or their laziness! I would never allow a child under 6 to be unsupervised during a bath it’s not safe a shower seems fine but to many risk! I also am a worry wart! My oldest the 8 year old covers his penis when I wash his hair and back because that is his private area and I try and teach him that!

3 Likes

I think by 7 or 8 they are old enough. Check his ears, fingernails and hair once in awhile to be sure. :slight_smile:

My daughter is 4 and gets one by herself, washes off, washes her hair. Dries off and gets dressed. Only thing I still help with is her hair (she’s got cuddly hair so tangles) and her teeth.

4 Likes

My 8 yo showers himself…but yes…likes mana in the bathroom with him. It’s okay. One day he will shut the door and a new chapter will begin. So, be there if that is what HE is use to and comfortable with. :kissing_heart:

My grandson is 8yrs old him n his mom my daughter live with me…she sits on the toilet seat untill hes done or i will…u just never no wat can happen in the shower…maybe were over protectd because i lost my lil nephew to drowning in just a lil bit of water n he died😥

1 Like

Isn’t this like the definition of a helicopter parent? Asking for a friend…

6 Likes

My kids were 5. I taught them to wash in the bath, watched for a month to make sure they did it right, then we switched to showers. I would check on them only if they were taking a long time and helped only when asked. I thought it was creepy to hover when they were old enough to want privacy and independence.

2 Likes

Like 5. Other than hair washing

My daughters started showering alone together at ages 4 & 6. Now they are 5 & 7 and they like to shower alone sometimes which I allow.

Mine has been since 5. I just ask him before he gets out if he washed his hair and everything good. He is good about it.
I do check on him if he gets too quiet, normally just ask if he is okay. Then he gets out, dries himself good and gets dressed for bed.
My 3 year old asks me to help with his hair cause he doesnt like water in his face, but i let him wash everything else and just make sure he does good enough.
My 1 year old rinses her hair with water and washes her belly…lol i still wash her then let her play, she will pull the plug and tell me done, when she is ready to get out. Yes i stay in the bathroom with her and my 3 year old

My son is 5 and has been for a while

My 7 yeAr old son will have my bathroom be like waterworks or Niagara Falls. His twin sister will name every body part she washed. Unfortunately it depended on the kid and dispute the coaching they will do what they do they are kids still. As annoying as it is I Can’t he mad. I would rather him be a little shit in the bath than growing up to fast :disappointed_relieved::woman_facepalming:t2:

When ever you feel there ready mine we’re about 6 when they did it without me helping

1 Like

Mine is 4… he fills his own water. Can take his clothes off and get in there. I periodically go in maybe every 2-3 mins.

1 Like

My 5 year old does good. She usually forgets her ears neck and face but gets everything else good. She’s not so good washing her toes yet and can’t wash her hair. At all. My 10 year old still needs to be reminded to wash things and at least once a month I make her let me wash her hair because she doesn’t wash it well enough and I can see the greasy spots she “washed”. Every kid is different. Mine hate showers. My best friends kids love showers.

Of course I bath my 2 year old and stuff but my 7 year old has kinda long hair and she can’t wash it good by herself so I wash her hair then she baths her self and i lay her towel and clothes by the shower and she gets out and dresses herself

I think when they are comfortable you are comfortable and they can do it right

My sons five and I check on him every 5 mins and help him wash but he asks for alone time

1 Like

Lol I have 15 year olds. Who uses so much shampoo that the outside of my house where the drain vent is looks like there is a pile of snow. It

My eight year old has been showering alone for a few years now. I still help her rinse her hair sometimes. I guess it helps, though, that’s it’s just me and her in the house so we habitually leave the bathroom door open while showering.

2 Likes

Depends on the kiddo. All of my older ones, 5, 8 and 9 can wash their bodies, rinse, turn off water etc by themselves BUT they cannot wash and rinse their hair. One has ASD and ADHD and one has ADHD so that puts a bit of a damper.

Depends entirely on the kid in question! At 8 years old mine could bathe and shower semi unsupervised. She liked to play in the tub whether she was taking a bath or a shower so I’d leave the door open and pop in a couple times and just do a visual check. In the years since she’s matured considerably and it doesn’t sound like I have a whale breaching in my tub anymore. So I poke my head in on occasion here and there to make sure miss stinky-phase is washing all the nooks and crannies. I would go with your gut and comfort level on this one. This is less of an age debate as it is a matter of maturity!
Also don’t let anyone talk down to you if you decide you’re most comfortable sitting with your child while they bathe. Use it as a time to bond. My child for example has decided my bath time is her time to come and tell me all the things she wants to tell me in private. It can be trying at times but we have to remember that they’ll never be this small again and we have to treasure every moment.

5 Likes

I started teaching my oldest at about 5… learned 3/4 was a good age for that lol. But now my two older girls are 7 and 5 they just about insist on taking showers because they like doing it by themselves. I help my 5yo with rinsing her hair/ making sure she washed it all. I’ll also ask just to make sure she scrubbed everything. She’s usually really good about it.

Thank you ladies. He washes himself and gets everything ready. I’m just in there to make sure he does everything right. After all these responses I think it is ok to let him do it himself with a lil direction from outside the door.

1 Like

My son will be 7 in 9 days I let him bathe by himself but I leave the door open and check on him and yell to him. I still some times help him with his hair. But other than than he’s on his own. He normally takes a bath than changes it to a shower.

3, I co-wash their hair and they don’t use soap.

Typically around 5, Though my daughters would call me in to wash their hair for them until about 7-8.

My daughter is 4 and I just let her play and she tells me when she ready to get washed up…by the time she tells me she already wrinkley

2 Likes

My SD8 bathes by herself but I usually still wash her hair otherwise she gets out and there’s still shampoo in it

My 8yo can’t be trusted to do anything more than play in the water and use as much soap as he can get his hands on as bubble bath. But he is also autistic, so… shrug Making sure he actually scrubs and washes his hair just needs to happen.

2 Likes

I guess my son was about 6 or 7 when he started showering by himself but we still had to turn the shower on and adjust the water temperature for him

I leave my 4yo in the bath with the bathroom door open and come in every few minutes to check on him. And he’s always within hearing distance. I do the washing but I’m teaching him currently. But I have extremely thick hair so my mom had to help me wash it until I was around 11 because I had trouble rinsing it all out. So I’d say it really depends on the kid. I’d say at 8 if he’s washing with no problems, let him do it on his own.

I have 3 boys 7 5 3 I’m still in there with them to tell them wash properly behind the ears privates I help with the hair but that’s it but it’s an open door

My boys are 9 and 11. My oldest is special needs so I still guide and help him. My 9 year old has been doing it alone for a year but I always help rinse his hair out. He still cant judge if it’s all out or not. But hes getting better.

It honestly depends on the kid. If they aren’t doing it properly by themselves then they still need help. If they do it just fine by themselves than I’d let them do it on their own and give them privacy.

My daughter has been bathing alone since she was like 2 maybe 3 i still help her wash up but she does 95% of it on her own

5 Likes

At 5, my son started to sit in the bath alone and I would either watch him wash or help him wash at the beginning or the end. I would ask him if he wanted to play first or wash up first and we would go from there. At 7, I just remind him of the places to wash and he does a good job himself!

1. But I check on her often and leave the bathroom door open.

My boy has been a water baby since birth ane once he hit three he would always tell me to get out so I leave and constantly check on him until he tells me he is done then we both take turns washing himself up so he also learns what to do. He’s now four and plays in a shower more then a bath lol which doesn’t bug me cuz I to love showers more. When he’s super grouchy a shower is a fix all lol

1 Like

Open door policy for my 9 year old, I help wash his hair but that’s it.
My almost 5 year old plays alone in the bath with the door open and me upstairs/ in and out but I wash him and his hair. My 2 year old is supervised at all times in the water x

Same sex I’d say 7 I bathe my two boys together they’re still young (2,3) my daughter stopped bathing with them when she noticed they had different genitalia

Mines 5 and I just leave him to it. My 3yo too except when he needs his hair washed.

Mine are 4 6 and 8 and I let them bathe alone I wash there hair and check when they are done that they got every spot

My daughter is 7, she has extremely long curly hair, I still help her wash her hair and her armpits. I do let her play unattended in the tub and I return later to do the rest but the door stays open.

I think it all depends on each child. I would be nervous to leave them unsupervised before 5 years old bc of any accidents. I think I started leaving my child to wash himself around 5 years old. Taught him to wash properly and make sure all the soap is out of his hair. He just turned 7, but we still leave the bathroom door opened and make sure he doesn’t have too much water in the tub. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I still help him sometimes if it’s a late bedtime or a quick bath.