How old were you when you got your tubes tied and how did it go?

Periods got way worse! My hair thinned out a lot, I have the worst acne I’ve ever had, my mood swings are terrible, my appetite changed dramatically, I became allergic to many foods I used to be able to eat and I have no sex drive whatsoever except for twice a year… I’ve had mine tied 15 years and it’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. If I had it to do over again I’d have just got a 5 year birth control and kept using it instead of changing my whole body chemistry with the surgery of having my tubes tied.

1 Like
  1. I just had mine done Monday. My dr cut and then cauterized mine. I have been sore all week the first 2 days was really bad. But I was okay by day 3 post-op. And what they don’t warm you about is your calves being sore from being in stirrups. They hurt like I had a constant charlie horse for 2 days. That was just about worse than my stomach being sore. And it was difficult to nurse my little one after I was able to go back to nursing him after 24hrs. I had to keep him off my stomach. I’m still slightly sore today but not has bad, as long as I don’t bend over much.

Had a tubal ligation and ended up pregnant a year later then had another tubal ligation. The Dr onky cute my tubes the first time and they fused back together the second time she cut double tied and burned. Love my daughter to pieces but I was not happy that she didn’t do it the right way the first time. I was 27 on my third child 3rd c-section. Everything has been normal period and hormone wise

I’m 30. I had my tubes tied at 26 and had a hysterectomy in September of this year because I had cervical cancer in 2018 and I’ve had problems ever since. My recovery from my tubal was perfectly fine - no changes that I noticed.

I got mine tied at 35 with my last son. No problems no complications. My periods were just heavy and out of whack

I got my tubes tied at 25. I am now 36. I was having my 3rd boy and had to have a c section. They tied them when i had my c section. My periods are heavy AF but only last 3 days

I got them removed after my twins and I was 36. And my periods have gotten heavier.

33 now and just had a tubal on Nov 2 of this year with my 3rd so I have no idea what to expect with periods or a sex drive but I haven’t been in any pain except for the first week after my c-section, but the pp bleeding has been very light compared to my last 2 pregnancies.

23 after having 3kids. Post op was brutal but much better when I got home a few hours later.

36 with mine went fine I got it done 6wks pp and didn’t get a period till my daughter was 20mths post op was not fun due to having a 6wk breastfed newborn

I’m 30 will be 31 end of December I had my tubes tied after my second child I was age 21. The surgery was super simple and easy. They went through my belly button you can barely see the little scar. My periods were always heavy they stayed the same after having my tubes tied. I do have lower back issues from the needles they used in my spine to knock me out for surgery. Recovery was super easy… wasn’t allowed to lift anything over 5-10lbs I think for a few weeks. Overtime my sex drive did decrease.

1 Like

I was 25! The day after I had my second baby.
I had a 26wk preemie and my second was 5 months of bedrest for preterm labor.
I WAS DONE!
I loved being pregnant, but my body tried to expell them too soon!
Hysterectomy at 39!
Why couldn’t they have done that then? Some 200 periods and cramps I didn’t need to have.:roll_eyes:
53 now 3rd year of hot flashes and menopause symptoms.
It’s still better than periods!

1 Like

Had mine done about that age. About 16ish years after having our kid. (I have fertility issues anyways) but I don’t think the tubal ligation changed much if anything. And the recovery was pretty good.

I’m 59 n still have all my insides.

If u dont want any more kids then ask for a tubes tied cut and burned its a in and out surgery i had it done 6 years ago and i dont have any problems and my period is normal

I was 38. Everyone said no big deal you’re fine in 3 days. I was a mess for a week. Pain and I had reactions to anesthesia so it was not fine. With that said,I did improve after a week and no complications or changes with my flow

I was stabilized when I was 30 (I’m 61 now) and regretted it immediately not that I wanted more children.I went into depression for a good year.If I could have gone back in time I would never have had it done.

I’m 22 had my tubes tied 2 months ago when I had my second csection healing was good everything seems to still be normal and good

I had my tubes removed (entirely ) at age 44. I am now 48 turning 49 12/27

I have Periods every month. I’m no where near menopause. Talk to your OBGYN about options if you have hormonal side effects.

However, unless you were to have A medically induced menopause DUE to full removal of all your female organs, uterus, both left and right ovaries and fallopian tubes. (That’s extremely different) get YOUR tubes removed! Especially, you want hundred permanent birth control.

I had mine done at 27. No regrets :grin:.

2 Likes

How much is this procedure? Or does my medical insurance cover this ?

Im a mother of two 16,13 I got mine tied after I birthed my son 13 years ago after an emergency c section -breached-, everything has been fine but I’m 38 now I never had menstrual cramps until after I done it. And as of lately past couple yeats I’ve had more clumps than usual and I worry about endometriosis often… but I dont think it’s related…women in my family are prone to it and have had partial hysterectomies. But I must say getting my tubes tied was the best decision of my life. :heart:goodluck at your surgery

I’m 37 and i am waiting for my appointment to come through, bit of a back up now cos of covid!!

I got mine tied after my 3rd kid nearly 7 yrs ago (I’m 36 now) I’m not sure of average recovery bc I had it done following my csection. But I will say that I hemorrhaged and had nothing but problems afterward. Always in pain longer and more painful periods and monthly flow was much heavier. About 3 yrs after I ended up with a hysterectomy. Upside to that tho is I definitely cant have anymore babies now which tying the tubes that was my goal anyhow, and no more periods. Down side is the hot flashes and night sweats can be unbearable at times. With my hysterectomy tho I opted to have the uterus tubes and cervix removed all I have is ovaries to avoid early menopause but I have all the symptoms of it so not sure how much I truly avoided lol

1 Like

I was 34 when I had mine done after I miscarried a few months before. No issues after, my period was the same and I had it done on a Friday and back to work on Monday. I didn’t have any mood changes and I had no complications and have not had a hysterectomy.

I had my tubes tied at 35 after the birth of my 2nd daughter. Small scar in the naval, no regrets, periods same as before.

Worst thing I ever did. I was 32 and had mine done in c sec surgery.
The pain I get monthly is horrendous, I have acne, no sex drive my moods are like pms constantly. I wish I’d have chosen something else.

1 Like

I was 21…same day I delivered my son c-section…he’s 16 now…and just the last 2 or 3 years…my periods have a mind of their own…sometimes super heavy heavy and last 4 days or 8 days…sometimes light and last 8-9 days…cramps are worse than ever and lower back pain much more noticeable!! My ankles tend to swell more too while on my period…I don’t regret getting the procedure done…but had I known I’d have a bipolar period much later on…and the procedure might have caused this…then I’d probably have decided on a different option…but it is what it is!

Is it common for women to not have a sex drive after getting their tubes tied ?

All the ladies in my family had a hysterectomy at 40 ish. I think it’s on ur family genetics as well as ur own health. I’m pregnant with my second child as it might be the last chance I have to have anouther. But I think I will be in the same boat as my mum soon enough.

Had mine done last year at 36 during my third c section fourth baby…best decision ever

Im 36 had mine done 6 months ago when i had last bub

I think it depends on your body. I was 36 and had mine tied after my second. Periods were painful and heavier after. I had to have an ablation done 4 years later because I was bleeding all the time. I bled for 6 months straight before I had it done.

1 Like

I did mine 2 years ago when I was 28. Best decision ever.

I was 21, one child. Best decision ever!

I got my tubes tied at28 by the time i was 33 i didnt have a period im 69 now and still no period thak god

I was .20 when I got mine tubes tied Dr. said could not have no more Children because I almost died give brith both time

I was 32, just had my third kid, my circumstances were bad and I didnt think I had any business having more kids. Now 5 years later, left that SO in the dust and regret getting it done bc I want one more with the absolutely amazing soul mate I’m with now (who has none of his own, and now, never will). My period did absolutely get worse as well. Get a long term IUD, I wish I had

I was 30 when I had mine done. No regrets. Never knew I’d had it done after the initial recovery of about 3 days.

I was 28 when I had mine done .If I knew then what I know now I would have done it.I am 50 now and still have the worst back pains and stomach pain they dont tell you all the problems you can have but not everyone is the same.

Honestly my tubes have been tied for what 10 years now or more. Recovery was great I was only down in bed for a couple of days. It does however seem like my periods and the cramps get worse every year but my mom tells me that’s for me getting older nothing to do with my tubes being tied. There were no changing my attitude or sex drive or anything like that. Now however like I told somebody this morning my friend Tierra has five older brothers and her mother decided that the Lord was not going to bless her with a baby girl so she got her tubes cut tied and burned and 15 years later here comes a baby girl also people don’t realize this if you do research on Google about tying your tubes and everything there is a chance your tubes can grow back inside of you. because they are a part of you and everything which explains why my friend’s brother had his tonsils took out three different times because they came back twice. I mean I guess his body was trying to tell him how this is supposed to be here I don’t know. I know it’s a very scary thought to think of your tubes growing back together like they’re supposed to be and you don’t know nothing about it. your friend or whoever to add to have a hysterectomy had other things wrong with them. Like when my mom got a hysterectomy something was wrong with her inside and she was passing blood clots the size or bigger a golf balls and she said she was laying on the floor screaming like she was in labor. My mom’s friend her name is Kim she had a falling down uterus and I know this sounds weird but she can stick her fingers inside of her like she would masturbate or something like that and she could feel her uterus and that’s when she went to the doctor and she had to have surgery. now many women don’t know this either your uterus can fall from having just one baby. Cuz that’s what happened to me and my doctor says when I’m my husband age I may need surgery or my uterus may do like my mom’s friend collapse all the way and then I definitely will need surgery. And I was trying to figure out why every time I jump on the trampoline or sneeze or cough real hard I pee on myself. Well I haven’t fallen down uterus that’s sitting basically on my bladder. So that happened after my first baby not my second my second baby just made it lower. that’s when I decided I didn’t need no more kids because of my body and besides I’m so tiny both my girls were 5 weeks early I could not carry them 40 weeks. they were both preemies and both under 4 lb the second one had to have open heart surgery and only 3 months old in order to stay alive. So honestly having one baby in January of 09 and the other baby in December of 09 with a falling down uterus at the time that’s why I got my tubes tied. now yes it is scary thinking you could get pregnant or the tubes to grow back or anything like that but it’s life you know what I mean you can’t stress about it and you can’t do nothing about it. whatever happens happens and then you’ll have to take care of it from there that’s the way I see my body and myself.

I was 41 when I had my 2 c-section with a tube removal. No changes in mood, period, or side effects. My healing was good and recovery was quick.

Tubes tied a few years ago. Procedure and recovery were not bad at all. Had horrific periods ever since. Dr put me on Norethridrone and haven’t had a period in almost a year😁

I had my csection in 2010 (I was 39) and tubes tied at same time. My recovery was actually easier than a vaginal birth. Also I have not had a cycle since then.

I’m 30 and I just got mine tied in August. I haven’t had a period yet. I did end up with an umbilical hernia the OB said was related to getting my tubes tied (tho I’m not sure how) that has been one of the most painful things I’ve dealt with but overall getting the tubes tied (so far) seems to be no big deal.

I had my tubes cauterized during my c-section and NOBODY warned me the cramping, the duration of bleeding, the amount of blood, the clots, the intensity of everything about menstruating increases to a very horrible level. I got my tubes tied so I didn’t have to use a birth control, but I ended up getting on one to help alleviate the side effects, but its still not what it was before I got my tubes tied…I regret it 100. I was 33 when I had them tied. Don’t do it, girl!

31 and no problem, but it was done right after my C section

Just got my tubal a couple months ago. I’m 30 with 2 kids. I was on the pill until then so my periods have been pretty heavy the last couple months but I can’t tell if it’s cuz I’m finally off the pill after 15 years or because of the surgery. But everybody is different

30 years old and 4 kids. I had mine completely removed right after my 4th child via c section. As far as pain afterwards I couldn’t tell you. But I’m 4 months postpartum and my periods are regular! No cramps, back pain like I had before. My period is shorter! I don’t regret it at all!

I was around 28 and just had swelling. And I regreted it every day since. I have a girl and a boy but should of never got my tubes tied. Later on in years I wanted more but had made a big mistake of getting fixed no way to have anymore kids once you do it . It makes you depressed that you will never have more kids.

1 Like

I had mine done in my 20 regret it recovery was fine the pain i get now suck it feels like my inside are killing me

I was 36… Heavier periods for sure. Been 3yrs and finally slowing down a little it seems.

I’m 22 and they refuse to remove my uterus, I’ll never have kids, mostly infertile and am in agonizing pain everyday.
If this is something you wanna do, do it and never look back.

I was 25 and it was done during a c-section. My periods have been heavier since but a lot more regular also.

was in mid 30s had forth child had tubes tied after delivering my son had to end up having hysterotomy few years later due to very heavy bleeding and transfusions but after hysterctomy all was good

I was 22 and completely and totally regret it. Not because I wanted more babies… I have extremely painful periods… Horrible mood swings… Honestly lots of other problems… They don’t tell you all the bad that can come along with having your tubes tied… I hope and pray you don’t have all the painful problems I’ve had… I wish you all the best…

43… tied with my last c section. Alittle more sore than 1st c section

I was 39 when I had my last child lost a tube from an ectopic pregnancy in 1991 had my son in 1992 had tube tied no problem

Had mine totally removed when I was 38… had it done right after I had my last C-section… didn’t notice to much recovery… I do have a little more cramping but not horrible by any means! Thankful I don’t have to worry about another surprise baby lol…

My mom got her tubes tied after my little brother. So she was 29. She said everything went fine tbh. It was a little rough with the recovery but other than that she said it was smooth sailing. :slight_smile:

I got mine done when I was 24…I am 49 now…no hysterectomy…periods are a little heavier but not bad…

Had mine at 31, no problems afterwards. I’m double that age now. Best thing I ever did for myself.

My periods got progressively worse. 18 months later I had a hysterectomy.

Had my tubes tied when I was thirty. No problems.

Got mine done at 35. Periods are heavier but shorter (only 2 days). No cramps or anything. Best decision I made.

I got mine done at 32 the day after I had my son in 2019, no change in my period, i couldn’t lift very heavy things for about a week. Small incision by my belly button. No other problems,

I was 25 when I got mine done

Had a tubal 20 years ago. A little more cramping

I was 27 and ended up getting a hysterectomy at 29 because I bleed really heavy.

I got mine tied when I was 29 and I had no complications. I only took half of one of the pain meds on the third day because I was uncomfortable and the rest of my healing was manageable with Tylenol.
My periods have been very heavy since having the procedure though.

Got my tubes tied when I was 34 ended up needing a hysterectomy 4 yrs later

1. I had it done with my c section. No negative side effects

Had my tubes tied at 22 and ended up needing a hysterectomy by 25. My periods and cramps were horrendous… periods prior to the tubal were 2-4 days and rarely had cramps. If I could go back, I would have opted out of both procedures!!!

I was 24 when I got mine tied after having my two kids. I’ve noticed my periods and cramps are heavier since then.

37, had mine done in May, easy recovery periods are heavy but no pain, had to take more pain meds after my son was born in March then I did after tubal

I was 32. No issues or changes whatsoever. I’m now in my mid 40s and nothing has changed. It was a great decision for me.

I had mine done right after my c section with my daughter. My periods were horrible lasting 4 weeks at a time. I ended up with a hysterectomy at 35.

I got mine tied at 24 had a hysterectomy at 41

25 and they did it during my c section it was easier than my first c section!

I have had 2 tubals done. One at 24 and one again at 26. The first one didn’t take and I ended up pregnant again. I’m 29 now and haven’t had any complications with the 2nd one

30 after I had a C-Section with my daughter. I was already open. I’m ok my periods are light.

I was cut burned and tied at 21…i had a boy first and then my girl both were c section because im small lady and they were big babies, i was very lucky to have that done at my young age…im 47 yrs old now and have absolutely no complications from that other than periods have been like clockwork since being “fixed”.

I think one also has to bear in mind what your periods were like before you went on any form of hormonal contraception. If you had heavy or painful periods before using the pill or injection, they are likely to return when you stop the hormones… which one usually does after having your tubes tied. Just a thought.

I got mine done 4 years ago. No real issues. My period actually became regular after my tubes were tied.

Got mine when I was 24, had them clamped, year later the clamp came off and was located in my rib, wasn’t taken out because it wasn’t “causing a problem”…periods got so much worse, to the point that I was bleeding for weeks. Recently bled for 2 months str8 and almost died, I have a hysterectomy set for Dec 14th… :unamused:

I was 27. No complications. Periods were normal. Mood was good.

I was 34 and told it does not affect your menstruated cycle. I had no complications. Had to have an ablation 5 years later due to prolonged periods was told this was hormonal. However! I found out when I went in at 45 for laparoscopic laser surgery there was no evidence of a tubal ligation! Luck I had the ablation because we were done having kids!

I was 24 when I got my tubes tied. I had a csection with my 2nd child I had no change then it wasnt till I was in my 30 when I started having problems and when I was 33 had a hysterectomy. I dont think getting your tubes tired has anything to do with I know some who dont have there tied have problem too.

I got mine done with my c section so I cannot say much about the operation but afterwards my cycle is normal just like before. 3 days no real pain but maybe more bloated than before. But I also have 2-2yr old and 4 yr old so it could be all the coffee! Good luck take care of yourself.

1 Like

I was 35 and I had tubes tied and full hysterectomy

Honestly, I think it’s different for every woman. I got my done when I was 23 and I’m 28 now. No issues for me. My mom had hers done fairly young also and when she was about 37 she got a huge cyst on her ovary. Not sure if those are connected.

I had my tubes done at 26, and a hysterectomy at 28.
The recovery was quick for my tubes, I ended up having my period for almost 8 months straight, which caused the hysterectomy.

30 best decision I ever made :blush:

I was 35 with last baby. I am 39 now and wish I never did. My periods are very heavy and painful

Age 30. Literally minutes after having my 3rd baby. I had a tubal cauterization. I regret it every month. Postpartum Recovery took me longer due to trauma inflicted by my RN who felt the need to still press on my tummy (directly above my belly button) to push out any remaining afterbirth. But aside from that, every month my PMS is terrible. Worst cramps, followed by horrible mood swings. Prior to that, I never experienced PMS like that before. So :woman_shrugging:t4:

I had my 5th child in June of this year and had my tubes tied in sept. I am 33… simple outpatient surgery, my dr doesn’t tie them, she removed my Fallopian tubes ( unsure if it’ll be the same for you)… no changes, I recovered fine and have not had a period since. Dr did tell me that my periods could get worse… but she can give me meds for that

1 Like

If you have been on birth control for most of you menstruating life then yes your periods get worse because you dont have the hormones effecting your periods. So the go back to how you body worked before. I had mine removed at 30 with my c section. I have found when I use a cup instead cotton product my periods have gotten lighter and not as long. I went from 7 days to 4 day using a cup

Got mine done at 21. Was sore and crampy for a couple of days. Everything has been normal since and it’s been almost 4 years.

I’m 29 but had my tubes tied at 21. Was ok for a couple of years but started having issues. Periods were every few months and very heavy and painful. Tried several birth controls to help. Ended up with endometriosis and had a hysterectomy at 27.

Read about post tubal ligation syndrome. It scared me out of it.