How should I handle my child dropping the F bomb?

I grew up in a family where every other word was a curse word. I have cursed all my life. But I know when not to. Teach her. Don’t get mad

31 Likes

My 5 year old did the same. I calmly asked her is that a nice word to say. She said no. I told her don’t say it again please, I don’t like that word. She said ok. That was it and the last time she swore. That was almost a year ago.

10 Likes

My nearly 4 year old grandson uses it all the time. We tell him it’s a grown up word & he says, but I am grown up!!! My daughter & I use it all the time though, so no wonder he picked it up! Just ask her not to say it, but don’t make a big deal of it if she does. They usually stop if it’s not getting a reaction

9 Likes

My sister asked her kids to think of two different ways of saying the same thing and use those in public settings. The kids were allowed to cuss if all windows had first been checked and shut in the house. By the time that was done, the kids usually forgot to curse.

6 Likes

I taught my kids at preschool about swear words. Then explained they were Mum and Dad words only.

Seemed to work.

It happens. Don’t make a big deal with it. Let her know peacefully that you don’t condone/tolerate that type of language and just be careful. Let her know to choose better words. Kids at that age if they hear it often times they don’t know what it means other than it’s fun to repeat (:rofl:). Just be mindful and change the subject away from her repeating it again.

Don’t shame her for using words she hears just explain you don’t find these words nice, alot of people find them offensive, give her new words to replace them, shit is sugar, fuck is fudge for example (sorry for the cussing lol) but yeah just correct her when needed and don’t make to much of a big deal about it :woman_shrugging:t2::v:t2::two_hearts:

4 Likes

If possible, have a rational discussion with her. It’s not an acceptable word for you to use. It’s a grown up word. If you say it again, there will be ____ consequence.

My 4 year old has come out with a few swear words. I just explained to her that these are naughty words and they are not nice words to say. She now knows and will point out when someone uses these naughty words :see_no_evil: they don’t understand that these words are not nice words so it’s just a matter of making them understand that xxx

1 Like

My parents simply told us those certain words that were not okay to say, so even if our friends said them we didn’t say them. End of story don’t make a big deal out of it.

Ask her what it means. If you don’t know don’t say it. Tell her what it means. Chances are she’s not using it appropriately. Let her know that it makes no sense and makes people who do know think she’s silly.

3 Likes

You just say “we don’t use those words in our family” and if she asks why, I’m sure you can explain in a nice way

1 Like

We cuss but our children all know it’s a respect thing. You don’t cuss in front of your elders. Never had a problem even with their friends.

3 Likes

Your kids five and said the first bad word get over it. Most kids say it by 2 so not a huge deal she probably didn’t know what it even means. Just address it’s a bad word and tell her we don’t use that language no need to shout or punish her. If she never heard it how was she supposed to know if it’s a bad word

1 Like

Americans don’t mind murdering each other daily with automatic weapons but don’t say “f**k” whatever you do, they’ll absolutely lose it and scream at 5 year olds :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

You just tell them not to say those words. Lol I cuss all the time and my son has never repeated it. (not that I know of lol) not everything in this world is for kids, that includes curse words. Just establish that boundary (calmly, healthily and clearly) and there shouldn’t be any further issues.

1 Like

You don’t, you can however decide certain house rules and tell them it’s not acceptable at home and if they do it again, you sit down and have a talk with them, they will eventually learn not to at least do it at home. What they do outside is beyond your control.

6 Likes

My older two grew up with me cussing, but never really swore growing up and they are 14 and 18 now and still don’t swear. I think they heard it so much growing up that the novelty of swearing wasn’t that appealing to them. I think If you make a big deal out of the words then it makes them want to say it. It’s inevitable that they are at some point going to say a swear word though, all kids repeat what they’ve heard. Just tell them that it’s a grown up word and if they use it again ur wash thier mouths out with soap :sunglasses:

1 Like

She doesn’t understand what it means, go easy its just a word, to her right now. You simply explain that its a word our family does not say. You right we should discipline our child for something they don’t understand. My teenage daughter went to uncles in Texas and learned to work with horses…she was homeschooled and kept from much profanity, she returns home and while on a walk proceeded to explain how they hold to shovel up horse %%it all dsy…
My mouth dropped open…she looked at me in surprise…questioning me…I explained it was a bad word and she simply said thats what her & aunt called it. Hard to believe a 12 tear old could stay that innocent, but very limited tv, friends ect…its possible! As I think back she never cussed again until she left home…( around me) because the look on my face.

I had six brothers and one sister never in eighty years has any of them used the F word in front of me or our parents as we were brought up to be respectful

2 Likes

When my daughter asked about that word I explained it is a very old English word. It meant to sow seeds. It was then used to plant the seed to make a baby. I told her that now people use it to hurt each other. She said she didn’t like that word so she didn’t use it… She is 39 now and does use it.
The definition I gave her was something I read many years ago.

We tell me step daughter they are not words, and if she hears her mum or (annoyingly) her dad (my OH), she tells them off. It’s helped me get on top of my bad language too because she calls you out on ir

Haha! Reminded me of when my little sister came home from the fist day of kindergarten and dropped it! She was looking in her backpack for something and when she found it, she said “there’s that mystery f-Er”!

It’s just like biting or hitting, teach her it’s not acceptable behavior. There are certain words some people say that are not allowed in your house. But honestly, if you make it a big deal then they will too. I know you don’t swear in your house, but as a society it is very common and more widely accepted, so that means she will be hearing a lot more if it and repeating more words. Make it a point that even though other people use certain words, you find them hurtful. My mom would punish us for swearing, even saying crap, and because it was forbidden I swore like a sailor when I was a teen.

I know that it was a shock, but I’m the future, don’t make it a big deal when it happens or it becomes the enticing forbidden fruit.

And honestly, going to the director was a little over the top, unless your daughter said it was heard from an adult. They cannot control what kids say, and I’m sure they address it when it occurs. But at that point everyone already heard it.

One of my sons has a speech delay and cannot say truck and we see a lot of Fire Fucks! :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

My son hasn’t used anything like that yet and he’s 5. I don’t want him swearing but unfortunately he’s going to hear it unless we put noise canceling headphones on them when they walk out the door! Mind you… he did call someone a moron because they were driving too slow :snail: :roll_eyes: :rofl::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I talk to my kids about there being adult words and that they cannot use them. They all know what they are or will as us if they are allowed to say it as we do curse at home sometimes.

1 Like

Honestly my son heard the F bomb at primary school in reception and no matter what me or the teachers tried he still continued to use it. We’ve spoken to him, we’ve ignored it, we’ve taken things away and nothing has worked. He’s now 9 and he still occasionally does it if he’s playing a game and loses or drops something or hurts himself. I don’t tend to say anything aslong as it’s not in anger towards anyone and not in public. I do cuss like a sailor though so I’m not innocent. It is just a word though and there’s worse things your kids could be doing.

Tell her it is an ugly word and you don’t use ugly words in your home.

3 Likes

Mine at 6 ( he struggled with writing and spelling)showed me a word he had written in chalk on the footpath well I nearly died because he had written the C U Next Tuesday word it was the best spelling and neatest handwriting I sat with him and complemented him on his penmanship and spelling and then pointed out that it was a word that was rude to use and asked who he learnt it of ( one of the other kids at school) fortunately I was friendly with the kid he learnt it from parents they too had a word with their child - this same kid also taught him how to tie his shoe laces not long after this discovered he was dyslexic we always praised anything he did with writing and spelling while gently pointing out the rude words that he shouldn’t be .

For one thing screaming and yelling at your child like that is not the right way to address it you can tell her to ask you about a word that she doesn’t understand then sit down and explain to her

1 Like

The “F” word is only used by people who aren’t able to express themselves properly. In this family we don’t use those word because we know how to use our words.

Just calmly tell her those are not nice words and should not be saying them.

6 Likes

Depending upon her understanding, explain how words are used (as symbols) and that some innocent words can cause people to get upset because they take on a new meaning. (I know I did better in explaining it to my first grader son than I’m doing here.). But I did this kind of explanation the first time he used the F word–about which he had zero understanding, by the way. I must have done ok because that’s the last time he ever brought home so-called bad words.

Just like what you say, we don’t cuss in this house. My son follow the rules and they will tried again during teenage years and you have to stop again.

1 Like

I explain to my dauther calmly, because obviously she was not the problem, that we don’t use that words and why , i use to always be calm at the first explication the second a bit less calm if i add to when your able to explain and give them a good reason that they are able to understand they usualy listen if you do scream at her for think she telling you, you are not going to be the person she turn to when she is going to need help and worst your scariing her​:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_shrugging: first your the mother after like later you what to be her friend and after you became the confident but not the way you do , alway count when something like this happens breathe, and after sit with her that way she see this is serious, screamind don’t take you nowhere exept learning them how to scream

1 Like

You are ok now but if she does it again after you verbally corrected her , you will have no choice but to spank her . A paddle , belt or hickory stick will all work if wielded properly .

1 Like

I just pointed out that mum and dad don’t ever use those words. So he, my son should follow us.

I just merely told my kids just that: people talk that way, but we choose not to in our home. None of my three grown children talk that way, either.

Things happen. I wouldn’t chew their ass out but just explain why it used. Then tell her when she’s an adult she can use it but as long as she’s under your roof and underage she is not allowed to use that type of language. Me on the other will probably allow my child to use those words at home to express his true feelings and know he can only says this around me. I cuss so it would be hypocritical of me to yell at him when I’m the one he learns from. It’s bound to happen and we all have different parenting styles. And that’s okay. I wouldn’t be too much worried about it since she now knows not use that language around you or in your home. But trust me she’s going to say it… it’s in most vocabulary.

With my children I have taught them and continue to teach them that there is a time and a place to vent. To keep your composure in public and let loose outside of that. Don’t direct it towards others.

My late mom would ignore it. Then say to us If I ever hear that new word you just said to your sister? It will be me and you and your father’s belt!
She was tough you don’t ignore that warning!
She said it 1 time! Yes, mom I heard you!

1 Like

“They’re grownup words. Right now, your brain isn’t old enough to handle how to use these words. Once you’re an adult, you can use these words if needed, but only in the correct context.”

Give her a fatal beating,worked on me when i was a child, got one once a week ,made me what i am I​:rofl::rofl::sweat_smile:

I told my son he can’t curse yet because he doesn’t know how and would sounds ridiculous

Explain that it is an “adult word” and explain what it means - and how it can be hurtful to use

That is an an adult word not for children please choose another word

We explain to them they should not use these words. If they do, time out or something. Haha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:?

Bit dramatic lol… kids will day words like that it’s a part of learning right from wrong lol

I tell my son the truth that these words are part of the English language and that because of the society we live in there are not widely accepted. People get so caught up that they forget its part of growing up and really all it is is a bunch of letters put in a way that people find offensive. I mean if you go back into the history of most of these words they became slurs they weren’t originally meant as slurs.

Its a word. You over reacted. Its offensive bc someone decided it was. I get children saying it isnt ok but calm down. Tell her its an adult word that’s innappropriate.

We just tell them those are adult words

4 Likes

With my boys I washed their mouth out with soap.

Omg your daughter never heard the F bomb before she was 5?? What, are you Saints??:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

This word was actually an abbreviation of a legal term a couple of centuries ago in England. Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Rape

It’s a word. No worries. She is little

4 Likes

Don’t freak out on them. Take the mystery and intrigue out of it.

I just tell my kids it’s a grown up word.

3 Likes

What did the five fingers say to the face…SMACK

My Mom grounded me. My kids learned bad words from me during football games!

Talk to her kindly, hold her, let her feel your love. Explain to her that the F💥 word is not a good word, it infact hurts ppls feelings. Kindly with loving hugs to mot use that word again. If that dont work, since youve explained clearly what your trying to teach your child. Pick your childs favorite activities and toys. Put them in front of your child and explain that one will need to be taken away because the house rules are continually being broken by using the F💥. For instance; no bike for a few days, no sleep over, no cartoons for a few days, no mc donalds. Show her what consequences are and get her involved in the decission. It works. My daughter is doing the same with her children. They learn with unconditional love, explaining and a secure relationship with you no matter what they do. As they get older you will get creative. I had my daughter pick all of the cotton wood branches off the ground for 3 day. I gardended, she basically weeded my yard at the same time. Do it kindly, your patients will be tested but be the smarter one, raising a smart strong one also. Its worth it.

Well my mom used to stick a bar of soap into my mouth…she got the point across…:man_shrugging:t2:

I would make up a word and when she says it laugh, get her off the other word

You’d hate me I got a sailors mouth but a big heart

Tell her it’s a mean word and it isn’t a word to be pepeated.

I would tell her not to do it again and let it go

Ignore it a bigger deal you make out of it it will be the only word she says

Teach them context, they’re gonna learn then regardless.

I am such a potty mouth my kids use to tell ME off! It’s really no big deal! (In my merger opinion). Next time just explain it’s a word that you don’t like and be gentle. She’s just experimenting with new things she’s heard …

I would first always ask where they heard that word and did they know what it meant. Once they answered, we’d talk about it. I didn’t make them “forbidden” by calling them bad words. That only makes them more enticing to say. I said they were inappropriate for children, were grownup words and it is okay for grownups to say them, not kids. I added that grownups should really try to think of better, more polite words to use but sometimes those words slip out. My mother made us drink vinegar if we said a curse word, even if we had no idea what it meant! I refused that way of thinking because children will repeat what they hear without understanding. I also told them if they heard a word and didn’t understand what it meant, they could come to me and ask.

As long as you don’t say, “if I hear you say that again”, as it can give an older child the idea, well, Mom isn’t around and won’t hear me. I started saying if the neighbours hear you somewhere, they will tell me…at 5, I’m not too concerned, just say it’s not a word we should repeat and leave it at that.

My kid does it all the time. “Give me my f*cking insert whatever .” Lmaooo. She learned it from us, and we had to change our own language. Idk what to say about learning it at school, but just tell her that word isn’t something we say.

You ask where or who she heard it from. Then you explain it’s not a nice word and she should not use it. When my son was 3 he dropped the remote and said “dammit”. Well that’s me coming out of his mouth and I never realized he heard it! I explained it wasn’t a good word and we should think of a better word - we decided on nuts - so when he dropped something after that he would say oh nuts! Which was WAY cuter coming from the mouth of a 3 year old!!

If ya kids don’t know what naughty words are at 5 you’ve failed as a parent. My kid knows all the colourful words cause I have a potty mouth but he doesn’t dare repeat them. Imfsct he gets up me for swearing. . . .

I just tell them to stop fucking using that language. I didn’t raise’em in no dam barn. :rofl::joy:🤷💁

1 Like

Cut her some slack she’s only 5

1 Like

So you jumped her shit instead of explaining why you don’t like that word and why she shouldn’t use it either. You may not cuss but people do and the way you handle the situations means more

5 Likes

She probably didn’t even know it was a bad word! You should have told her it’s not nice to say that word instead of yelling at her like she robbed a bank. Talking with the director probably did nothing but brand you as a Karen.

3 Likes

Just explain to her that it’s a mean word and not polite to use that kind of language, I mean it’s not difficult shes 5 and they’re sponges at that age.

2 Likes

Best way to handle anything really is addressing the issue an communicating. If its a word explain why certain things shouldn’t be said. Explain why. Give them examples. Their kids, their still developing their brains, they absord more than you think.

3 Likes

It’s not 1924. The word is exactly that, just a word. The more you try to force them not to do so, the more “appealing” it becomes to do. Explain to them the time and places to use and not use it, explain it’s meaning and speak to them how you’d want to be spoken to.

1 Like

My daughter found some choice words around that age, I told her it wasn’t a nice word and moved along. Making too big a deal gives them ideas…

Just tell her that’s an inside word she can only say in her mind lol, my dad also had bitch fits about cussing but it is absolutely delusional to think someone will not learn a word everyone uses.

You cannot hide her from the world. People say the f work so frequently. As long as you explain that it’s a bad word and not to say it.

well i definitely wouldn’t do it by yelling at her, for starters.

1 Like

just tell her not to say that word, no big deal

1 Like

Give them a good old fashion smack on the mouth and they’ll never do it again. Duh. Wtf? :joy::joy::woozy_face::woozy_face::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

Ignore it and it will go away

Let the little cunt harden the fuck up

Tell her to shut the fuck up 🤷

Ignore it and they will forget

ignore it! don’t make a big deal out of it

Pick your battles starts now

1 Like

“We don’t use that word” end of discussion. Clear concise and to the point.

1 Like

Baby it’s not that serious

no i.d no swearing :woman_shrugging::rofl:

Ahahaha just wait till she gets to school. You have no hope in hell of controlling it

1 Like

If u can bet them then fucking join them

7 Likes

Tell her it’s a bad word and we don’t use that word in our house and love on. Don’t make it into a big deal or she will want to do it more

Dont make a big thing of it ,the definition of it is to sew seed, I tell my students that if I hear it, I have made up all sorts of silly words to use instead ,it works , At least it’s not blasphemy. From Cambridge England.

1 Like

Pay it little attention. I asked about the wird at 10 and my mom me look it up in the dictionary and my parents did not cuss. My daughter was 2 abd cane home from daycare with dammit, abd ignoring it worked. It was for shock value. Just explain to your daughter it is not nice language and to please use nice words when speaking to people. But, outside if your initial reaction, relax abd do not make a big deal of it.

If you guys never swear or inform her that there are certain words she cannot say, she won’t know that she cannot say them. So what happens? She accidentally swears.

You cant yell at her, just gently guide her and let her know that that’s a bad and only adult word. She’s going to hear them everywhere. It’s just a word. Its only bad when you use it against someone.

1 Like