How should I handle my child dropping the F bomb?

My daughter is 5 years old and attending summer day camp this year. She absolutely loves it, and she’s made a lot of friends. She comes home daily to tell me all about the new things they learned (this week, it was medieval times). The problem is that she came home the other day and dropped the F-bomb. I honestly didn’t handle it well, and barked at her, used my mean voice, she cried, and I felt like a horse’s butt. I know it’s a public camp, I know the counselors cannot monitor what 60+ are saying, and I knew it was inevitably going to happen someday. My daughter was honest and said she heard it at camp, and I spoke with the director as well. We don’t cuss in our home… How do you all address the cussing/swearing with your kids?

110 Likes

That’s a fast way to get your kids to start hiding things from you. If you want them to be open/forthcoming/trusting of you when things happen to them, you CAN NOT react that way. You have to be calm and collected. Ask them where they heard it, explain why it’s not ok to speak that way or do that thing, if it’s something hurtful try to tell them to imagine if it was being done to them how they would feel ect but be supportive and encouraging. Thank them for being honest and don’t punish them for telling the truth. If they did something bad or made a mistake that would get them in trouble, ask them to make amends, tech them how they can do differently, don’t let them off the hook but reprimand them in a way they’ll learn but understand.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How should I handle my child dropping the F bomb? - Mamas Uncut

She’s just repeating what she heard. She didn’t know it was a big deal. My son is 5 and he dropped it about a year ago once. I calmly explained its a bad word and we don’t use it in our house. He’s never repeated it. I don’t think getting upset with him and making him feel bad is going to help.

8 Likes

Teach her that it’s inappropriate for a child her age to say that. Apologize for yelling at her but that it’s a word that is not to be said. Maybe she didn’t realize how awful that word can be for a 5 year old to say. I’ve always believed in having one on one conversations with my son and it’s worked out super well. He’s 9 and is open and honest with me about everything

2 Likes

It’s just a word! It’ll only offend you of you let yourself be offended. Nothing to traumatize your kid over.

39 Likes

My oldest said a swear word when he was little, and I told him they were adult/mommy & daddy words. After that he really didn’t push it or try to say them again. My twins on the other hand I haven’t found the best way for them to realize they shouldn’t. But if they say it at home and not in public I feel like it’s a win for me. My oldest was much easier lol. Good luck!!

3 Likes

:joy: my kid loves to yell “oh shit!” I hold back laughing but always correct her and tell her it’s not a good word to use till she’s old lol

I tell my 4 year old dont say that. Hes says y i say adult words and give him an alternative…

My 3 year old went through an F bomb phase. He some how knew how to use it in context too. He told me he was going to wearing a “fuckin suit” to a wedding. He said he was a “fucker” and he stubbed his toe and said “ow fuck”. Not gonna lie, I was a bit impressed. But obviously it’s not ok and I don’t say those things around him. So we talked. And talked. And he kept saying it ans then I calmly told him he would lose certain toys and stuff if he kept saying it. So he stopped. Yelling and over reacting wasn’t necessary. It’s just a word and it’s our job as parents to teach them right from wrong. All apart of the deal.

1 Like

Apologize for yelling first. Then do your best to explain to her in terms she will understand that sometimes nice people say ugly words. Maybe because they dont know what the ugly word means or they heard someone they like say it. Ugly words hurt people’s feelings and are not good to say at anytime.

I’m gonna be real, I swear worse than a sailor and I have 2 kids almost three lol.

My daughter used to repeat the words I say and all I did was explain to her that they were Adult words and not something for little girls to say.

A word is a word. It’s not necessarily bad, it’s just not meant for children. If my child came up to me and cussed me out then we’d be having a different conversation. However I just treat it how you would treat alcohol. It’s not naught it’s just only meant for adults to use.

10 Likes

People yell at kids act like they can not hear you

Horse butt? I would have started laughing …relax let her know you don’t like it and move it along

I would just tell her that is a bad word and we don’t say bad words even if others do.

3 Likes

I have no advice… My 4 year old calls everyone that angers her Asshole🤷🤷🤷

The only reason you’re offended is because you want to be offended…
My kids have been known to say a curse word or two but I remind them those are Mom and Dad (or adult) words and since they are not an adult they can’t use them.
And since I’m not making it a big deal then my kids don’t make it a big deal…
Pick your battles: my kids are not allowed to be a bully, they are both allowed to insult anyone, they can’t talk back to the adult in charge and they are not allowed to be rude… but the occasional curse word is not something I’d get excited over

Did she use it correctly? :grimacing: Apologize for yelling and give an alternative.

5 Likes

My son said oh shit and I said bubby you can’t say them words only adults can say them words he said ok mommy and hasn’t said it since

She’s five. Highly likely she had no idea what she was saying or what it meant. My daughter is five and came home from pre-k one day telling me that a boy in her class called her a c*** s*****. She didn’t know what it meant but she didn’t like it. I of course reached out to the teacher who took the matter to the boy’s parents. It’s shocking to hear a child say things like that, but it’s important to explain to them what it means and why they shouldn’t repeat it.

1 Like

i tell my kids that grown up words are for grownups…now i cant control everything they hear through friends…but they have it instilled on them that they are not to say it…if they let them slip a bit…but i just remind them that its not a word they need to say

1 Like

She’s human she will hear and speak those same words. It’s your job to teach the appropriate times for those words, and yes there are appropriate times for those words lol she will be respectful of them. I have a rule don’t ever direct the words at me, and never let an adult outside of our home hear you speak those words :woman_shrugging: works in my house. My kiddos friends families adore them, their teachers adore them, they are beyond respectful when they are out of our home and at home, unless it’s warranted they hardly ever cuss. I guess what I’m trying to say is it’s only as big of a deal as you make it in all honesty :two_hearts:

9 Likes

Let her know that that’s not appropriate at her age. I’m older now and still have enough respect for some of my elders that I still don’t curse in their presence. Either that or I don’t like to have my head spun around.

1 Like

Put a bar soap in her mouth. Shut my 6 year old up! Lol.

4 Likes

man i come from a family of potty mouths and I drop the fbomb all the time my kid has started to repeat it often. I just tell him it’s a bad word and he isn’t allowed to say it. He’s 2 so he doesn’t quite understand yet but we keep telling him it’s bad.

1 Like

I don’t make swearing a taboo thing. As long as it’s not in a derogatory way or at someone, in public, excessive, or hurtful I don’t want make a big deal of it. Kids are going to swear, test boundaries and explore words, if it’s not made a big deal of it won’t be something he feels compelled to do as often, or as he grows older. :woman_shrugging:t2:my sons 7 1/2 The best way Ive found to handle it is allowing it with boundaries.

6 Likes

How about be calm and explain to her that cussing isnt appropriate behavior in your household? Explain why it is inappropriate. She’s 5… You have to get on their level.
Also, when they arent in your presence a child is going to see and hear things you don’t approve of. But it’s YOUR job to explain why something is or isn’t. You picking up what I’m laying down?

1 Like

My daughter said “Bitches” on accident the other day because right now she just loves to rhyme every word said.
She was saying: itches, ditches, stitches, witches… and well BITCHES came out. I stopped what I was doing and then she stopped & realized what she said and looked at me like “did she hear me?” I just laughed because life is too short to get mad at her about a word she didn’t mean to say.
My daughter knows what cuss words are because it just slips out of my mouth when shit gets real… but she knows not to say them because I tell her they’re adult words.

1 Like

I’m surprised how many people call them “grown up” or " mommy and daddy" words :roll_eyes: explain they are comparable to popping in the yard to pooping in the toilet 🤷:laughing: they are for those less evolved. They are embarrassing.

3 Likes

It’s just a word. If it was derogatory I could understand. But it isn’t. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

My Mom washed my mouth out with soap. Once. That was all I needed.

1 Like

We cuss. My kids know it’s an at home thing only, and to respect other people boundaries. But if it’s just us at home, cuss all you want. What’s not allowed are words used to hurt others. But if you stub a toe and yell fuck, I mean, who cares

Just Wait a few more yrs ! Teenages have real :poop: mouths

3 Likes

My almost 5 year old hears cuss words daily and doesn’t repeat…although when his dad was saying he had some “bad ass cars” he repeated lol we both let him know it wasn’t ok and he only said it at home a couple times after telling him.

Place and time it’s a skill most people learn at home not at school.

Words are words 🤷 I don’t want my kids cussing but ultimately as long as they arnt doing it in inappropriate places (church, school, grandmas) I don’t really care 🤦🤷 I had this battle out with my oldest for awhile till we finally decided that it wasn’t a big deal and talked with him and let him know there is a time and place for words like that and school/church ECT isn’t it. We havent had a issue since

6 Likes

…and this folks is why most young people turn into snowflakes…

4 Likes

I’ll never understand how a certain word became a “bad” word. Who gets to decide it?

In my house, as long as a word is used correctly, it can be used.

8 Likes

I plan on letting my child cuss :woman_shrugging:t2: As long as its not said towards or about someone. We cuss when we, as adults, are frustrated or stub a toe or something because nothing else releases that pain/frustration does like cussing… like saying fiddle sticks is not gonna help but saying f* does. idk why but its science lmao (do some research about it, there’s actual fact behind this). Abusing your child with soap wash in their mouth or spanking/popping them in the mouth might stop them from cussing but whats it really gonna do in the long run…

3 Likes

I just straight up tell my kids those are bad words and they are not allowed!! I tell them they will hear them from all over the place and many people use them but just because we hear them doesn’t mean we can use them. They seem to understand lol I married into a family that likes to use them and I’ve used the words before but it doesn’t seem to phase them anymore. I haven’t heard them repeating any!!

1 Like

Call me what you want, kids swearing will never stop being funny to me :joy:

8 Likes

My mom tried soap with us it didn’t work for me I called her a b*tch before and afterwards. :woman_facepalming: ( I was evil growing up but I was more sweet n loving then evil.) She started putting me in time outs or taking my toys/ “lovey” from me when she took my “lovey” I never said it again. I loved that doll thing went everywhere with me. I stopped cussing after that. But if I did something bad they knew to take my lovey so I wouldn’t do whatever I did again. It worked.

1 Like

Children should not be swearing at all … heck , I’m 37 and I rarely ever swear , every once in a while a swear word slips out , but I most definitely do not swear in front of any children

1 Like

My kids are allowed to swear at home not at school so it’s all good.

3 Likes

I use to tell my kids when they were younger that that’s an adult word and only adults can use them. And I asked then if they were an adult, it worked for them

3 Likes

Don’t react-some kids who seek attention quickly realize that gets them attention they want. I don’t yell at my daughter but talk about whether it is appropriate and don’t dwell on it

2 Likes

Teach them how to use it in the right context and where and when they can. Obviously 5 isn’t a great age to be swearing but you cant help what children hear and learn once the walk out your front door. Also when they know its a “naughty word” there going to want to say it.

3 Likes

I admit I swear all the time… my kids are now 5 just about but didn’t really repeat my swears until 3, I would then yell at them for saying it and explain that it’s a naughty word and they are not aloud to repeat it and how it’s an adult word, they have rarely said a swear word since

1 Like

I explained to our kids there are words people use that can be offensive to others and are really not a nice way to talk. I told them there are more appropriate and respectful ways to express themselves, then shared with them some “swear” words and a couple more appropriate words to use instead. Kids are going to try, that’s what kids do. I never made a big deal about it. Just basically told them we don’t talk that way :blush:

1 Like

Hmm not gonna say any names but it makes you look classless when you’re in the thread acting so perfect, and you don’t cuss blah blah, but you have a pic on your wall of flipping someone off🙄

12 Likes

Just explain to her that you would prefer it if she didn’t use that word. It doesn’t need to turn into a huge thing, just explain calmly to her. Other people use those words but she cannot. Hopefully you’ll also explain that it’s just a difference in preferences and not that she’d be better than anyone else for not using those words. I hate that I’d even have to say that, but some of these comments :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

My son has been told he can’t swear until he’s older unless hes in danger. If he’s in danger he screams for help and cusses all he wants. It really gets people’s attention if kids swear while somethings going down.

2 Likes

The f-bomb is mild compared to some things I hear from youngins…

I told my child that it was a word that offended adults and would think they were not a nice child if they used it and it worked

1 Like

C’ mon folks, everyone raises their kids differently. Fine, you let your kids cuss. You must be proud. My kids, who are adults now, do cuss but not constantly. I’m not proud of it. I’m actually a little embarrassed especially if it gets out of control. Any way, this person prefers raising their kids with no cussing and I say good luck with that. It’s inevitable. If kids don’t learn things/words from home, they will definitely pick everything up at school. Just continue to let your kid know that cussing is not acceptable at home. Good luck!

I just explain that only adults can use those words. It’s unrealistic to think that nobody will ever cuss around them so all you can do is teach them that it’s not okay for them to do just because someone else does.

3 Likes

Its just a word. Time and place

3 Likes

My kids know swear words probably from the womb lol :rofl:…but with my first he started the f bomb at about 2 years old. We laughed and thought oh how cute. Well it became a faze and he’s pretty smart beyond his years so we started giving him 1$ everytime we cussed. Took 1$ away when he did. We acknowledged that we were at fault for swearing and needed too work on it bc it was not cute anymore nor attractive and reflected badly on ourselves as parents . We are a cuss free environment now. He is 4 and knows ppl cuss. He sometimes will ask about certain words or ask if it’s bad and or the meaning. We are honest with him. We explain why they are inappropriate as well as certain phrases. He doesn’t cuss. He still reminds us of that 1$ when we do. I believe educating them is better than punishing in this scenario. And he’s a firecracker and very defiant at times but that method worked.

3 Likes

We cuss (mostly me) all the time so dose literally all of my family and my husband’s family and have honestly never had an issue of either of our 3 cussing. Here at home or any reports of it at school or anywhere. Now my almost 16yr old did have a problem of flipping people off when he was in first grade actually got kicked off of the bus to school for it. :woman_facepalming:t3: We don’t flip people off it’s just something that we’ve never done so it was a bit of a surprise that he was doing it. When I was pregnant with my youngest, the kids & I were stopped at a red light and I had a guy come straight up to my window and tell me that he was flipping him off from the back seat, that he didn’t want him to do that to someone who would take offense to it and do something stupid. I was mortified and it scared my son so bad having this guy he was flipping off get out of his vehicle and come up to ours that all he could do was hid his face and cry & he never flipped anyone off again. I was so up upset & I was a little more harsh than I should’ve been when I was getting onto him afterwards telling him that if he would’ve done that to the wrong person instead of that guy who only wanted to let me know what you were doing that it could’ve went much different that they could’ve killed us, but I just wanted to get it through his head that it was NOT ok to be doing that to people that that’s why his dad and I don’t do it.

3 Likes

First of all, she’s 5, she has absolutely no idea what that word means. It’s a new word to her if she hasn’t heard it from her parents mouth, she has no idea it was even a bad word. So you barking at her… childish. Second of all, grow up, they’re just words. Make sure she doesn’t say it, discipline accordingly.

12 Likes

Don’t make a big deal about. It’s just a word. People make to big a deal about that word. There are worse things a 5 year can be doing then saying fuck.

Different house different rules is what I told my kids and now my G-baby. They may see and hear things out in the world, but in our house WE have boundaries.

2 Likes

Ignore it. Something when we create a fuss over something kids will continue to do it.
Bad language in my house would be ignored. I once dropped the f bomb when i tripped over my 4 year old I shouldn’t “F my cofffee” he latched to that sentence all day but we ignored it and he soon got bored and never said it again. My eldest is almost 12 she knows better so should she say something then she will be told off as she does know better.

1 Like

I tell my kids they can’t use those kinds of “grown up” words. I don’t tell them they are bad words… people who swear aren’t bad. But like other things in life, you have to be older.

3 Likes

Honestly that’s what worked with my siblings lol! However, I don’t understand what’s “so bad” about “curse” words. They aren’t different from any other words we use :woman_shrugging:t3:.

2 Likes

She is asking for attention and that’s exactly what she got but it’s the wrong way!! Don’t make a big deal of it

1 Like

Ask them, “what the fuck” is wrong with them

I tell my kids they can use those words when they are old enough to drive and vote - that’s when we need them the most.
I swear all the time - and if my kids are acting like assholes to each other I will most definitely call them out on it.

My kid is 7 and has been dropping f bombs since 3. It happens.

2 Likes

We call it a pepper word. As in I am going to put pepper in your mouth (we don’t but the threat is enough) .

We also explain it is a grown up word and not nice to say

2 Likes

I just say that it’s a bad word and we don’t say it, that others may say it, because they haven’t been taught its a bad word. This is to say two nearly 3 year old, so if his dad or someone in public says it, he knows it’s a bad word and that no one should say it, and dont make a big deal about it, when hes older, ill explain that swearing is not ok and rude to say.

My kids hear it all between us and family and friends. But they have learned what adult words are and what they are and are not allowed to say. It makes it easier when we are at a function and they don’t even notice vulgar language. They are 6,8&10 and know they’re not allowed to say it. But I mean hey, if it does slip out it’ll probably be in the right context :woman_shrugging::rofl:

6 Likes

Just talk to her about it. Let her know that those words aren’t okay and that she can get kicked out of camp for saying them.

I tell my son it’s a grown up word and he’s not allowed to say it

3 Likes

Since it’s YOUR home you are well within your rights to now allow cuss words. No one on this post pays your bills or are contributing to all the other things you do such as paying for this camp & taking her to and from this camp. so pay no mind to the people criticizing you. To answer your question- You can explain to her that you all don’t allow that word in your house. You know that they will hear a lot of new words that other kids say but the f word is a cuss word and isn’t an acceptable word.

4 Likes

Tell her she misunderstood and it is fudge…not the f word…lol

Lolol I tell them “points for usage” and then correct their grammar if needed. A word only has the power we afford it, here, and there are no “good” or “bad” words, only words that might not be appropriate for certain situations sometimes.

6 Likes

So I was bought up to know a child’s place. So as a adult we allowed. A child can hear the word but can not say the word. Now our 3 yr old said shit the other day. It was a funny conversation with her. I kept quiet and let hubby handle it. (My head was under the blanket laughing uncontrollably). Child daddy I didn’t say shit. Hubby stop saying shit. Child what’s wrong with shit. Hubby you can not say shit it’s a bad word. Child daddy shit is not a bad word. Older child it’s a bad word only mommy and daddy can say the bad word. Younger child okay I’ll stop saying shit. Hubby if you say it one more time you are going in time out.

Just explain some words are for adults only. And then move on.

1 Like

Sit her down and explain to her why it is inappropriate. At that age they don’t always understand why something is wrong. Hence why she got so upset when you shouted at her

1 Like

My little one did that but he heard it from me and my boyfriend. So we made a swear jar and called each other out on it. We did this for two months. Once we got alot better to no swearing we played uno with my 11 year old and who ever one the game got the swear jar money. We don’t swear around the babes (2 year old) any more. It’s learned obv and once you give attention they will use it more. When my son said it I was shocked and yes I smiled which made it worse and then I ignored it and I changed my words and it’s better.

Get over it. It happens. You’re overreacting and it’s not that serious.

6 Likes

… but did she use it properly??

11 Likes

I tell my son… KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

2 Likes

Just tell her it’s a bad word and move on. The longer you dwell on the subject or that word, the more she is going to want to say it

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How should I handle my child dropping the F bomb? - Mamas Uncut

I tell mine thats a grown up word cuz theres no such thing as bad words.

I literally say “thats a grown up word. You cant use it yet.” And we move on lol

2 Likes

won’t be first and last time :roll_eyes: don’t make big deal out of it

8 Likes

I think your best bet is just teaching her those are grown up words and inappropriate for her and even you guys if you don’t swear in your house. She’s going to continue to hear them from camp, school, other adults, etc. So just know her knowing those are naughty words and she isn’t aloud to say them.

6 Likes

damn you make a big deal out of a 5 year old droppin a new word jesus christ help that child
in the future smh pick ur battles and don’t choose stupid ass ones like this

10 Likes

It’s a word :roll_eyes: tell her not to say it again and move on. She’s 5 jeez.

15 Likes

Seriously though, talk to your kid.

If you freak out over an innocent F-bomb at five I can practically guarantee your child will keep serious things from you as they grow.

19 Likes

Just be truth full and honest with her tell her some people use those type of words but that it is not a nice word to use can be rude and hurtfull to people when u use them and its best not to use them.

I just told my son it wasn’t a nice word and it was not to be used. I also asked where he had heard the word. When he told us the person he heard it from (it was a family friend) I simply asked him if he could be careful of his language when the kids were present.

5 Likes

I’m certain we all have those moments where our darling innocent children drop all kids of words! At the age of 3, My sweet innocent little girl saw me getting frustrated with the tv not working. She sighed, looked at me and said “Fu**ing hell” I burst out laughing my hubby instantly blamed me while laughing too for it and we laugh about it today! She didn’t know what she was saying as I’m sure your five year old didn’t either! Explain that it’s a grown up word and that little kids aren’t allowed to use it. I would not have gotten angry. She won’t come to you if that’s the case in the future for fear of getting trouble.

20 Likes

My sons first words were ‘horse shit’ & I couldn’t be prouder.

5 Likes

Me and my sister sometimes curse in front of her son, my nephew. Sometimes we can’t help it. We start complaining about work and some colorful words come out once and a while. And we know he hears them at school, as well.

He’s 7, and knows all the curses. (I think). But whenever he catches us saying them, we apologize. And let him know that those are special words you only say when you’re older. We picked the age 18 for when he can say them. Lol.

He’s so polite and just agrees. He knows they’re bad words and should only be said at a certain age. So far, never heard him say a cuss.

And always, we always just watch what we say around him. Children mimic their parents and loved ones so we just lead by example. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I just told my daughter it was not a word for children to say , it was a grown up word and she accepted it

2 Likes