How should I handle my child dropping the F bomb?

The same way you did. Every parent is different.

Oh no! That means shes def going to hell! Kick them out of the house before the roots poison the tree.

As with most things with kids - bigger reaction s/he gets - the more they’ll tend to do it. Just explain that you don’t use that word.

My six year old says it sometimes. I give him no reaction because he wants one good or negative. Then I say “Say that again, I’ll take your Nintendo Switch”. Total silence… Until he tries again😊

My daughter’s first word was shit. I don’t care. She knows there is a time and place for it. Like not school or a friends house

Probably an unpopular opinion, but, here it is. I am a 40 yr old, Educated, Human Resources Manager, who came from a good family with parents who have been married 45 yrs and love me dearly. I, swear like a TRUCK DRIVER. Like, all the time. It’s honestly like some sort of weird coping mechanism. But, here’s the thing, at work, I am as professional as they come, to this day, I have NEVER ONCE sworn in front of my PARENTS, because, I just think it’s disrespectful. But, in my house, I don’t hold back. And guess what, I have 2 kids, and neither one of them has ever used a “swear word” aside from saying it once or twice when they were toddlers. But if they start after say the age of 15 or so, I probably wouldn’t be that worked up about it… they’re just meaningless words to express heightened emotions. But, we have plenty of words in our home that are absolutely off limits… but in our house, that list of “bad/unacceptable” words , consists of words like, “Stupid” “idiot/dumb” “ugly” “hate/I hate you” “kill” “slut/whore” to me, THOSE ARE THE WORDS THAT HURT, AND CAUSE DAMAGE, not using the “F” word when I’m aggravated/stressed etc… as long as my kids know that, we don’t use swear words, In DEROGATORY ways, such as calling ANY FEMALE, a “B” or calling someone a piece of “sh!t” or telling them to "go to “he-ll” then, by all means, ill let them drop “F” bombs all day to express their aggravation/anger, because in my eyes, that’s a much better way to handle it, than most of the alternatives. Just my 2 cents!

It’s gonna happen…mine did it in kindergarten. I had to explain why it wasn’t nice

My sons’ dad cussed like a sailor because he was one but I told them they could not call people an asshole as they were wont to do when ticked off but they could however call them the “scientific” equivalent, a primitive blastaspore.

I would say ah thats not a good word to say don’t do it again then move on dont make a big deal of it

1 Like

You need to chill out.
Explain to her it’s a bad word and shouldn’t be used, some kids can use it but you don’t want her to.
Apologize to her and explain why it’s a bad word.

I am almost 70 and I still detest filth and vulgarity. Have 3 middle aged children and a gun to their head still would not make them talk that way around me. They just have that much respect around me. My grandchildren do not either. They have been taught better manners. I have no clue what they say away from me, it is not my business.

Tell her Jesus is sad,he don’t want her to say bad words. The world’s out there.teach her at home ,that Jesus don’t like bad words. She needs to know what are the bad words. New words to her.

Better a word that doesn’t actually hurt people instead of a word like fg or rt*rd. :woman_shrugging:t2: Just explain it’s a grown up word and until they are a grown up it’s not appropriate.

1 Like

Just tell her it’s all right she didn’t know but now she knows and it’s a bad word and next time she hears a new word come to you and you can then say if that word is a good word to say or not

You literally just say it’s not nice. Lol. The same way saying “oh my god” or “crap” or anything else for that matter

My mother has always said some words are offensive to some people. We need to understand which words those are. Then we need to use our intelligence to use words that are not offensive to anyone. So when you drop the F-bomb…the mother of all offensive words, you are showing the world how unintelligent you are. Use your brain and find new words to use. (It worked on me, bc I thought I was smarter than her. My brother, however, told her that was f-ing stupid)

Tell her it is a very naughty word and should not use it. Even if others do. .not lady like. Lol. And if you hear that work again out of her mouth. No more camp. But going ballistic is not good either. Kids are gonna hear the F word everywhere they go. Just set rules not in my house.

Making a big deal of it to her is the worse thing you can do , just talk to her in your normal voice not mom voice and explain why she should not use that word.

Sit down with her, apologize for losing your cool & tell her “we” do not use that word.

She must have heard it somewhere. Perhaps you need to look within your own family for the answer.

Seriously…if that is the only bad word your child will say you have nothing to worry about…you reaction is probably worse than the little child using the F word…

Teach him so other colorful words so he has a well rounded volcabulary.

Simply tell her that you and your family don’t use those words, if she needs to blow steam, give her a choice of alternative words you would be ok with her using.

Who cares omg she cried she will survive just tell her she can’t use that word and move on

Explain why we don’t say that word. Give examples, that way she will remember. Like telling a story.

My son learned those words at age 3 in Christoan day camp

Its a surprise. Explain that it isnt a nice word to use and you had a strong reaction because of that. Dont make a further big deal of it. It will be okay.

Your been a bit ott to be honest. If that’s all you have to worry about. It’s only a word, you’ve made a big deal about it, so now itsa big thing to her.

At 5 id ignore . Hsrping on about reinforces the eord opposite effect.,

Simple…just let her know that is not a word we use.

Ignore the word and move on … the more attention you give negative words the more they want to use them for your reaction.

Did you hear it at 5?

I’m probably gonna get some crap for this, but I’ve taught my kids context when it comes to swearing :woman_shrugging:
Like don’t just walk around spewing off swear words for no reason, you’re a kid and that’s not cool. Just use them with proper context (example: if my food tastes like shit, tell me it tastes like shit :woman_shrugging::joy:) and don’t ever swear at school lmao
Works for us :woman_shrugging::joy:
They’re literally just words. My 5 year old saying his toe really Fucking hurts after he stubbed it isn’t going to hurt any one :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I told my kids they were grown up words. Never had a problem again.

All we can do is let them know what is right and wrong…and stick to it

Most of us are idiots and we just laugh at our child!:kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

I’m glad I’m not raising children today.

I honestly don’t know what to tell you, I focus more on the intent behind words… If my kid wacks their arm on something and drops a cuss or two out there’s no issues…if she yells some cuss words because I’ve told her to do something & she doesn’t want to THEN there’s some consequences…

I would rather her learn how to use them appropriately & in correct setting instead of creating a rebellious kid who uses them just because I’m not around & throws them around all the time

🤷 we’ve always sworn around my kids and because of that, they never swore because it wasn’t a shock. What would I do? I would tell my children they know they aren’t supposed to say adult words, but by 5, they already knew 🤷

I honestly think you handled it…

Tell her that is not acceptable in your home and that it makes her look less of a intelligent young lady.

Teach your child not to use words without knowing their meaning. Tell her that the word she used is considered a bad word and why.

Hey sometimes you just gotta vent even when you 5😆

Congrats on yelling at a 5 yr old.

This is not uncommon among children. You may be one she first heard it from.

1 Like

I use profanity way too much. With that said I’ve always taught mine ( who’s 13) not to always repeat what I say. To be honest it’s only come out of his mouth once and that was this year out of frustration. I was stunned and just, well my jaw dropped because we made it 13 years. Lol. He grew up telling ME not to curse. Lol. I did not punish mine and it’s because it was bound to happen at some point because I have the worst potty mouth and because it was his first time. I just reiterated that it’s unacceptable and that I would do my best to tone it down as well. 🤷

Can someone tell me at what time…or what law was written specifically for a word…that FUCK was so terrible…that a 4 letter word could hurt so many people…that we’ve became so sensitive that a simple word gets 1000s out raged…thank god the word police showed up…what would we have ever done

Oh my gosh! You used a mean voice?? I’m calling CPS. Seriously? Wash her mouth out with soap. You won’t heat it again for a long time.

You ask her “what the fk did u say… You fkn better watch ur fkn mouth”
Just kidding… You nicely explain to her that she can’t use that word… And the reasons why… Then walk out of ear shot and laugh…
It’s just a fkn word… And they learned it from SOMEWHERE…
Calm the fk down …

A word that should be banned, where’s the group that does that

Folks get too worked up over WORDS… just look what’s happening in this country, right now, because folks get so worked up over A WORD… look a ridiculous words that folks have invented!!!. Who decides what is suppose to be a BAD WORD??? Tell you kid YOUR opinion of words, that opinion may disagree with others, but currently we are in an almost free speech country…

Well this is fucking lame

Fuck is fifty percent of our language.

Wash that mouth out with dawn dish soap

1 Like

Fuck it. Let it go. Lol

Tell them to cop the fuck on

1 Like

Don’t make it a big deal…

:joy::joy::joy: I love teaching my friends kids the “bad” words

2 Likes

I’ve never considered that word an adult word. Adult? It’s a totally unacceptable word. My children know better than use gutter language around me! Can you just imagine the minister using those words in a sermon? The entire Congregation would faint! The news media? Curse words are totally unnecessary.