How should I handle this situation with my neighbors?

So kinda kid related. I live in a duplex and the downstairs neighbors are young kids. It’s their first apartment and they have a young daughter. Anyways, since they’ve moved in, almost every weekend, they’ve had huge parties. Not a big deal and not my business. What is my business is them blasting a sub late at night and into the early morning. They’ve woken up my kids, my husband and myself several times. Weve tried to be understanding that they’re young and they’re excited to have their own space yatta yatta… we arent old hags. We are however now at the end of our ropes. They say they’ll turn it down but dont. From 11pm-3am my husband went down 4 separate times and asked nicely for them to please turn it down… they didnt do it. We couldnt even enjoy a movie together because it’s so loud and vibrates our whole apartment. I wouldn’t make a big deal about it if it wasnt a big deal and the waking the kids up is just a bit too much. So at 3am I went down and told them that I was notifying the landlord and if it keeps happening I’d call the police. One kid started throwing stuff and getting hostile and the girl that lives downstairs just kept arguing. I’m not arguing with a bunch of drunk, kids at 3am about them being disrespectful, rude and taking advantage of our kindness. Anyways, do you think we are doing the right thing? What would you do? Not to mention this is all during a quarantine order…

45 Likes

Landlord and police. You’ve tried the polite way already

11 Likes

Def talk to your landlord first and then call the police. You deserve a space in your own home to enjoy. After all, you pay to live there too

4 Likes

I’d be super pissed lol I feel for you guys. I’d call your landlord and then the police.

4 Likes

I think you handled yourself well! You guys have asked multiple times. At that point I would talk to the landlord and like you said, if it keeps happening then call the police. If it’s bothering your family it is probably bothering others as well. Sorry you’re going through this!

5 Likes

Call the police, non emergency number though otherwise police will get mad. File noise complaints for all noise after 11pm.

6 Likes

Call the police end of story.

5 Likes

You are right girl! You pay your Bill’s . Your entitled to sleep in peace!

3 Likes

Report them…2 warnings is more than enough

2 Likes

Call your landlord and complain. You tried to be nice, but hey, you pay to live there too! You should be allowed to sleep in your own home

3 Likes

Move on this is probably always going to be the situation

1 Like

Call the police and they will notify the landlord

2 Likes

Yes. You are doing the right thing. Talk to landlord first then if it keeps happening call the police.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have given warning I would’ve called the landlord and police. You tried to be nice and they weren’t.

1 Like

Call the landlord and the police for a noise complaint. You’ve asked them several times. Stop being nice.

1 Like

Landlord and look up noise ordinance in your area let them know they’re violating it and call the police. Where I live it’s 8pm-6am

1 Like

Body corparate! Landlord then police…surely there are rules!

1 Like

I’d have called the police and filed a report already. Then I’d show the landlord said police report.

1 Like

You’ve literally alrdy tried to be nice, now I could start calling the non emergency line everytime they’re in noise violation (whatever ur city’s hrs are. It’s usually like 11p-6/7a.) I’m not a cop caller but you’ve done everything you can possibly do to be nice! You live there too and you pay bills. You deserve respect as well. Oh and at my Apts, my office gets shit done. I wouldn’t even need to call the popo my apt manager is on that shit she’d give them 3 warnings and an eviction all in 1 wk. She’s big on respect lol

Tell the landlord. There is Noise ordinance laws are local laws that prohibit undue noise made by area residents. These laws generally go into effect at specified times during the day and night, such as 10:00 pm – 7:00 am on weekdays and 11:00 pm – 8:00 am on weekends. Your landlord should act on this. Call the cops, if they still aren’t abiding. Technically this can turn into a lawsuit. And they can be evicted. I had the same shitty kind of inconsiderate nxt door people, who lived above me.

Dont even deal with them call the cops noise ordinances

2 Likes

I would be calling the cops and then contacting the landlord

2 Likes

Part of being grown is learning there are still rules and you have respect other people. Try the landlord first, if that doesn’t work, call the cops. Continue to do so every time they play loud past 9 or 20 on a weeknight or 12 on a weekend. They’ll either get the message or get evicted.

3 Likes

Call the POLICE and the landlord

3 Likes

Call the landlord and cops, after 9pm is usually considered “quiet time” I had someone live above me that did that all the time and after I called the cops the 2nd time we had to go to court and she lost and had to pay a bunch of fines

2 Likes

Call the cops. Let them handle it. Sounds like they’re may be more going on if they’re partying that hard.

3 Likes

If they won’t get the hint and you have given plenty of warnings. Call the police. Most places have noise ordinances after a certain until a certain time.if you call the police there will be a record. If it continues they will face fines. Also call your landlord. So he is aware of what is going on.

3 Likes

Take pictures. Do a Facebook live. Then call the police and landlord. People have to be held accountable or they will just keep doing it. Of course I’d try talking with them first while they are sober but if that doesn’t work then document everything

3 Likes

I’d call the police the next time to show them your being serious about what you are saying and I’d also notify the landlord.

2 Likes

Ur not doing anything wrong… keep keepin on. U were nice enough warn them.

2 Likes

Call the police where in quarantine, and the longer people like them do not listen to the rules the longer we stay in lockdown, not to mention it is completely disrespectful

2 Likes

Is it like a complex with an office you can report to?

You have every right to be aggravated… It prob will get worse since they’re so disrespectful as it is…
Definitely have to get land lord involved

2 Likes

id just call the police. no warning. time to learn to be real adults in the real world

6 Likes

Call the super of the building and or police.

3 Likes

So I lived with a roommate who had some anger issues, and there where over 20 complaints made to the landlord, and honestly this landlord would come to me and ask me to keep her from yelling, and she would just get very hostile to me the landlord told me it would take months and months to kick her out. You should talk to the landlord and then call this cops every time. The landlord can not do much…but even less in the winter.

2 Likes

Wtf report them already. They’re not just being loud they’re putting peoples lives in danger. Call the cops immediately tell them they’re violating the quarantine order, and probably the curfew too. Call every single time

2 Likes

i would get the landlord involved and let them a
handle it

1 Like

Call the cops and then your landlord. Especially if they are getting hostile

Call the police & the landlord

1 Like

Call the cops every time it happens during the no noise hours .get video proof for the landlord

5 Likes

The landlord is more likely to act if he knows there are police reports being made on his tenants

3 Likes

Just call the police.

Call the cops they wanna be grown ups then they get handled like grown ups

2 Likes

I had a similar situation years ago but it was all day long screaming yelling and very loud music. I called the cops several times after speaking to them several times also. I ended up moving due to a different situation but it was terrible!

Cops landlords. And if that doesnt help i would blast music all day while they try to sleep

1 Like

Call the police then let your land lord know

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve been nice and collective about it multiple times, and honestly they are lucky you told them you’re going to notify the landlord. Common courtesy isn’t so common anymore. If you have to call the cops because they wont comply then call them, dont feel bad about it. Not fair to you guys or your kids. You did what you could.

1 Like

I woulda called the landlord the first 2 times it happen and any after that would have been a noise complaint with the police past 10pm, and if it started again in the same night within 2-3 hours of the first there would be another. :woman_shrugging:t3: not sorry your waking up my kids. Fuck that.

Call the police now is not the time to party smh

1 Like

I would’ve already called the cops and landlord so you have more patience than I do lol

2 Likes

Do the same, just start at 6 am and go through until 3pm.

3 Likes

Call the cops and notify the land lord every time it happens. Anything they do after 10 or 11 through the week and after midnight on the weekend needs to be reported. No more niceness and understanding.

2 Likes

call the landlord and the cops. fuck that shit.

Call the police and it will effect their behavior.

If you call the landlord it will effect their lease.

Br as loud as u can every morning afterwards

1 Like

How does their kid sleep?

You’re nicer than me. I’d have called the cops

2 Likes

Contract/lease should state hours of respect for others paying rent!! usually 10 PM til 8 AM but any hours in between RESPECT for others!!

Definitely call the cops, our downstairs neighbors party all day and night (they don’t have kids) I am a young mom in my first home with my family also and I even get annoyed lol. But I haven’t complained to them because I use white noise at night and can’t hear it when we’re sleeping, if I complained and they kept it up I’d definitely tell the landlord then if that didn’t work call the police. But like I said, it doesn’t bother me too much but if it did then that’s what I’d do.

1 Like

10 pm is quiet time call the cops they will handle if

By 8 at the morning you guys are probably up, but they are sleeping yet. Turn on the most annoying country music you ever heard, put it on on the loudest level, your kids and your hubby start to jump around, you turn on the vacuum and all you he housekeeping machines. If they start to complain you just look at them with the most innocent eyes, saying you just practicing for the Autumn country fair, but you are able to negotiate if they keeping the sound downer. Repeat this 3 times a week and it makes wonders!

22 Likes

I would keep calling the cops. Most cities have a loud noise curfew which is maybe 10pm. After that they can get ticketed

Invite the landlord over during those hassling hours so he/she can hear it for themselves. Otherwise, it’s going to be a he said/she said dispute. Landlords are never fond of the cops being called to their complex, so give them that opportunity to hear it for themselves and if it’s not taken care of then call the cops :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Given the situation, I don’t know if police will come out as it’s not considered high priority and if they do, all they will ask them to do is turn the music down.
Cops won’t arrest someone for having loud music, citation perhaps but nothing else.
Pardon my language, but if your neighbors are dicks they’ll listen for a little bit and then go right back to blasting their music.

Your best bet would be to go through your landlord and if that doesn’t resolve the issue you might have to find a new place.

Good Luck.

Fuck them kids lol they better grow up first place or not! Paying their dues or not. You don’t be rude about peace and your neighbors. They watch out for you when they can. We live in a house and still are cautious of our neighbors and we’re the young family on the block.

Keep calling the cops and make reports the landlord can then kick them out…

2 Likes

Give them one chance and call the cops. Call the landlord.

You really need to call the police. Do not argue with them . that will not help anything. Tell your landlord. And let the cops handle it.

Ask them first to turn it down the walls are thin, please I have to work in the morning. if that doen’t work the landlord then the cops

Call Police and the landlord

Be careful thou some get more hostile and worse by calling cops and landlord. Could make things worse. Like one said. You know they are sleeping after up all night partying. See how they like it. But again was always told 2 wrongs don’t make it right. Landlord is your best bet. Calling cops will make them Rebel

Yep tell landlord and next time it happens call cops.

I use the 3 strike rule. If I have to talk to you 3 times the next time it won’t be me!

3 Likes

Video, police report, landlord.

1 Like

Are they not supposed to be in quarantine?

1 Like

Here us what my bros did. They got several speakers and put them against the wall. Added a acdc highway to hell and a amplifier and didnt even get to the level 5 of the sound system. They came and asked them to turn it down. I suggest doing it on a Tuesday night.

1 Like

Noise ordinance… call the cops

3 Likes

Call the police get the report number give it to the landlord and keep a copy for yourselves. They can only come out so many times until the landlord will get sick of it. Aren’t they quarantined as well?? That’s another violation.

Make your own noise first like the one person said kids loud cleaning just keep it like to your coverd if that don’t work landlord then cops

I would have called the cops after the first time they ignored me.

No just call the cops. Easy. You’re making this muuuch too difficult.

2 Likes

I would call the cops! You and your husband went down there several times and asked them to turn them to turn it down. They refuse.

Call the police. They have to learn.

Honestly talk to your landlord because it’s disrespectful. They should be understanding. Also, call the cops because they are not following the quarentine rules and every town has a noise ordinance that is to be followed

5 Likes

First approach them with respect. If they contue to do it u know they are not respectfull . Let the landlord know immediately. Also most town have noise restriction after 10 or 11 at night call the police and be anonymous

Call landlord, then police, they are disturbing the peace. You’ve asked nicely, and it hasn’t worked…

4 Likes

Lol my bitchy ass wouldn’t have even given them a warning. I would have just phoned the police.

Try talking to them again when they are sober, and let them know that from now on you won’t waste your time asking nicely because of the way they treated you and your husband, and that you will call the police ( usually there is a noise ordnance) and you’ll call the landlord.

2 Likes

When the music is loud enough to rattle things at 3 am…call and wake up your landlord. Do it everytime and I bet he makes it stop. Call the police as well and call everytime.

4 Likes

Call the cops problem solved . Do it every time past 10 pm

2 Likes

If they’re not quarantined at this time, shouldn’t they be at least social distancing? And regardless, old hag or not, I would definitely be telling my landlord and calling the police on them because there is a noise ordinance and just because they have their own place doesn’t mean they can be rude neighbors and disrespectful to their community.

When I lived in an upstairs/downstairs apartment and had trouble with my neighbors, the leasing office told me to call the police and make reports every single time. Once so many reports and complaints are made and it hasn’t stopped then then apartment place can start the eviction process. Disturbing the peace is a thing and they’ll get in trouble for it.

Call the landlord everytime the music is so loud walk to the music so he can hear it. Also record the music so you have proof. Record your husband when he ask them to please stop the loud music. But no swearing and stay calm. Use that as evidence. We have a neighbour whos kids keep kicking their ball in our yard sometimes up to five times a day, one knight afyer nine we watching Tv and my dog next to me starts to growl…and the neighbour jumped over our wall. My hubby asked him to never do it again and hes started yelling at us…needlea to say this continued untill one Sunday they were in our yard again my husband recorded the whole converstation, and the neighbour and his wife started insulting us, sonwe said this is enough we went to the police who who told us to go to court which we did, needles to say he thought we were joking until the cops brougt him his summons. Sometime being nice is not enough. If the landlord does not sort them out call the cops. Maybe then they will listen.

From the sound of your post you have been reasonable. I can understand having a get together one a month, but every week is excessive and with loud music that they aren’t turning down. We all deserve fun and to blow of steam but when it effect someone else in a direct way it’s not okay, I would not be okay if the music was so loud that my children are being woken from it. My personal opinion, get the landlord involved, if nothing changes I would call police. They are grown adults, with a child, they are old enough to get consequences of their behaviour.

Nonsense! Follow thru with it. Call cops find out noise ordinance. File written complaint with manager.
Be aware that actions have consequences. They are violent people apparently. Get going on it. It needs to stop.
One person’s rights end where the next person’s rights begin.

2 Likes

I would definitely give them a few chance to to turn it down and be a kind neighbor but if they don’t wanna respect that. Document it, video proof and the notify the landlord and when they want to turn the music up call the cops. Shit call the cops multiple times if you have to. If they are being drunk and throwing stuff their young kid could be not taken care of. Call the cops as many times as you need to.

If you wish to get them evicted u need to call the police in addition to the landlord in order to start a paper trail… if they have any brains the 1st time the cops come they should get it together since there is a child there that can be taken from them at any time for being exposed to this… you could also try reverse psychology and blair music at 7/8AM and give them a taste of their own medicine

Teach them how life works and they can either be respectful or have to be responsible adults about their actions welcome to adult hood call the cops first three times the turn the reports into landlord make sure to show you have cause to leave if landlord fails to act you can legally break your lease ! Or just when the reports to landlord

Call the police they will tell em to turn it down n if they keep having to come out they eventually will get in trouble for it they disturbing the peace