How should I manage my UTI?

I want a question posted. So I got my first UTI. My Dr basically said I have an infection, gave me pills, then told me I should already know what to do? So I didn’t get much info. What can I do and not do? Is it contagious? Can I still shower with my kid or no? Can I have sex?

31 Likes

You should take the pills for sure. Drink cranberry juice and you can still have sex but it could be uncomfortable for you. Just google uti and there is a ton of info for things you can do. I assume he gave you antibiotics be sure to finish those or it will come right back.

1 Like

I would wait to have sex. Definitely don’t shower with your kid.
Drink lots and lots of cranberry juice.
Keep it clean down there. Try not to wear underwear. Use baby wipes after going to the bathroom.

They are not contagious

2 Likes

No doctor should say “u know what to do”, its normally no alcohol, shower no baths, no sex, pee before and after sex, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice

2 Likes

No sex for a couple days, drink lots of water, yake upur antibiotics on time. Always pee after sex and wear cotton underwear.

2 Likes

UTIs arent contagious. Shower and sex arent an issue but you may not want to have sex due to irritation/burning. Drink lots of water to flush out your kidneys. Be sure to empty your bladder on time… dont hold in your pee. Change pads pantyliners frequently as they may hold bacteria. Complete all your medications as prescribed. It should resolve just fine

2 Likes

DONT SHOWER WITH YOUR KID. Take Apple Cider Vinegar with your water. Just a spoonful in a glass of water. Finish your medication and get the big OK from the doc before you get busy between the sheets.

2 Likes

Lots of fluids take the meds … and bathing is fine still it’s not gonna spread it’s your own immune system just needs to be cleared up you will be fine it’s common actually I’ve heard alot of people talk about it cranberry juice is very popular treatment method

1 Like

Get Azo pills in cvs. Makes you pee orange but takes the sting away

3 Likes

Cranberry juice all the way. No sex. Both parties stay very clean. Works every time better than anything the stupid doc tries to give.

2 Likes

You need a different doctor.

2 Likes

What kind of dr did you go to???

1 Like

Not contagious at all. Pee right after sex. Heal soon

1 Like

I’m guessing he or she have you antibiotics. So, the bacteria could be passed through sex but highly unlikely. Tons of fluids. Take the antibiotics until they’re completely gone. The most common bacteria is ecoli. Make sure you’re wiping front to back ALWAYS. Cranberry juice that has added sugar is not the best idea. Plain water is best.

I would also suggest that you put your doctor in check. That’s extremely unprofessional and, frankly, pretty dismissive, bordering on negligent. Speak up!!! Remember, you’re paying them, not the other way around!!! Nurse here, by the way :heart:

‘And you didn’t know what to do’ so you asked Facebook when you got home instead of the actual doctor before you left? Ugh

8 Likes

How did your doctor diagnose a UTI? If you’re on antibiotics, don’t drink as alcohol decreases the efficacy of the antibiotic. Cranberry juice is a popular myth but just drink lots of water to flush the infection. Shower for preference over baths but you can still shower with your child but I’d avoid anything strongly scented. UTIs aren’t an STD but they can result from sex particularly for women. A good vigorous seeing to can push bacteria into the bladder causing the infection

Not contagious. Usually from not wiping well (wrong direction) or being dehydrated. Kid can’t catch it in the shower. You really should have covered this with the doc…

Drink a lot of water and cranberry juice, avoid caffeine drinks

And take the whole course of medicine

1 Like

No sex, drink a lot of water, cucumbers and watermelon are good to flush you out. Finish your whole prescription, if not feeling better after 3-4 days you can go back to doctor…sometimes antibiotic given isn’t right for type of bacteria…I assume you did a urinalysis which will detect which bacteria caused infection.

1 Like

Take meds exactly as directed
As your Dr to call in Diflucan as preventive to not rebound in yeast infection
No sex
No showering with your kid
No sharing towels or washcloths
Drink lots of water

You can shower with your lil one. It’s a uti not a yeast infection. If was yeast infection no dont shower with lil one. Drink cranberry juice and water. Make sure partner is washed.(hands n other things) he can cause the uti with germs n bacteria. I really hope some of these women realize the difference between yeast infection and UTI’s…

6 Likes

You can easily google all your questions

3 Likes

From these comments I’d think she had the clap! It’s a uti not contagious, calm down people.

7 Likes

Drink more water, pee after sex, not contagious, AZO for quicker healing and get another Doctor

7 Likes

Cranberry juice is a preventive thing, and if he has you on antibiotics just drinks lots of water and take all of them even if your symptoms feel like they are gone always take them all. AZO pills will never get rid of a UTI that is also preventative. It is not contagious and I wouldn’t recommend sex as it can cause pain you also want to keep in mind to urinate before and after intercourse and shower after and always wipe front to back and no lingerie, cotton underwear is the best (this is all from personal experience as I have been getting them since I was 14, and now 26. They cannot figure out why) but I do hope that did help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As a person who used to suffer from UTI’s. No it’s not contagious. Yes you can still shower with your child. Yes take the antibiotics. Sex with a uti can be uncomfortable, I’d wait. Pee after sex. Drink lots of water. Cranberry juice is a myth. You can get a uti from sex IF your partner gets a little carried away with fingers or mouth and there is cross contamination between the anus and vagina.

8 Likes

Shame on your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids. Yes, shower. Keep yourself clean. No a uti is not contagious. No to sex u til you are healed. Also, word to the wise, after you have sex in the future, go to the bathroom after. Helps remove the bad bacteria. Also if you are prone to yeast infections, which is not connected to a uti, you can eat yogurt or take a probiotic.

3 Likes

No sugar drinks and lots of water and cranberry juice.

1 Like

Yes you can shower! Take your meds. It’s not contagious. ALWAYS pee after sex. Drink lots of water.

2 Likes

I’ve dealt with kidney infections since I was 5, I’m 38 now. Put a slice of lemon in ur water. It’s a diuretic and will help filter out bacteria. If u drink cranberry juice, which is good btw, cut it with water. The high sugars take longer to filter. Avoid any “dark” colored and sugary drinks. Green tea is really good as well. And of course take the meds

Shower with your kid??

1 Like

First of all if it’s your first UTI how would you know how to treat it? The Dr. is an ass! You can Google UTI and get all the information you need. Personally I drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Lay ofc caffeine as much as possible. No soft drinks! I suggest you shower til infection is cleared upl Be sure to take all meds as directed til gone. If the Dr. didn’t prescribe AZO call the nurse and discuss adding this OTC med. I myself am allergic but others swear by it.

Definitely a new Dr and drink lots of water and cranberry juice, avoid sex until then and yes you can shower with kids… if it gets worse like pain in your lower abdominal area, go to an urgent care to seek better treatment

What an ahole.
Sex, I probably would avoid until it feels better. Always pee after sex! No sleepy till you peepee’d. Lots of water, make sure your eating too otherwise the water will go right through and offer no benefits.
Its caused from foreign fluids, bacteria etc etc that slips up there. It happens to a lot of us. Some more than others. My sister gets them often while I never have. I think some women are more prone to them. That’s my theroy, no scientific data.

You should at least talk to your pharmacist about the antibiotic that she dispensed for you.

Depending on the pill he gave you, there is one that you can’t have dairy before and after taking it because it will cut the effect of the medication. Plus there’s another one definitely eat with it to subside side effects. They gave me one at the hospital one night I was :face_vomiting:.

This should be knowledge for all women, I was told at 18 by my doctor and I have had ONE infections since then, I am now 64. STOP wearing underwear all the time…let it breathe!! Pee after sex (every time) and only wear underwear with white pants/shorts and mini skirts and make sure they are cotton. I have followed that rule all my adult life. Certain infections are contagious so another reason to not get one and then have sex. BTW … if you stop having them following what I said above, if you do get one, you know your man is cheating on you! Don’t know how old kid is but no need to shower with them. Depending on infection you can give it to your partner, then both need to take meds.

Cranberry juice, water for 14 days. No alcohol, no pop. If you get a yeast infection, get some antibiotics from the doctor, finish them all. Then you should be golden, just remember, when you consume alcohol, always have a glass of water after ever 1 or 2 drinks. Helps avoid future UT’Is…if yours is from something otherwise…can’t advise

Also, if you like sourkrout, that keeps your natural probiotic stuff normal in your gut, or drink pickle juice, eat anything pickled.

1 Like

I would find me another doctor. How disrespectful .

Drink lots of cranberry juice. Other stuff I’m not sure

A UTI is not contagious. Drink a lot of fluids, cranberry can help as well.

2 Likes

Simple google would have did the trick!

4 Likes

Not contagious, no reason you can’t shower w your kid. I’d avoid sex until you’re done w your antibiotics - other than that just keep yourself clean and dry down there

5 Likes

You can still shower and have sex and all that, pretty much drink cranberry juice and keep good hygiene, if the antibiotics give you diarrhea or a yeast infection take acidophilus (a probiotic) 2 hours before the antibiotic. It’s not contagious.

2 Likes

Call the doctor back ask questions

Buy cranberry pills to help keep the infection at bay

2 Likes

I’ve only had a UTI once and it was super painful, the thought of having sex never once came to mind :flushed:

10 Likes

Drink lots of water stay away from sex til it clears and yes you can bathe with your kid

U just have an infection. It’s not spread thru sex although your partner can cause u to have one. Drink lots of water

Drink plenty of water, drink/eat less sugar. If you’re on birth control, the antibiotics will knock it out so you’ll have a chance to get pregnant while you take them so use precaution

7 Likes

if on BC be careful as antibiotics make the BC not work

3 Likes

You have a urinary tract infection, so take your antibiotics as prescribed. Drink lots of water and dont drink lots of sugar drinks. It’s not an STD or STI so it’s not contagious.
Some not all antibiotics cause birth control failure so wait 14 days after your last dose of antibiotics to have unprotected sex.

3 Likes

Take all of your medication as prescribed, eat yogurt (helps keep good bacteria in your intestines while on meds), stay hydrated, cranberry juice can help, yes you can still shower with your kids, not it’s not contagious, refrain from sex until you completed your course of antibiotics.

3 Likes

Ok also REAL CRANBERRYjuice cuz mostof thr brands are justfull of sugar and thatll make it worse

1 Like

Take meds. You can shower w kid. Stay sex free it’ll help keep germs away and lots and lots kf water

Always make sure you urinate after sex! Not contagious.

3 Likes

THE PILLS THEY GAVE YOU WILL INTERACT WITH BIRTH CONTROL PILLS! Make sure you use a condom if you don’t want to get pregnant. Drink lots of water moving forward and taking d-mannose can help prevent UTIs in the future.

3 Likes

Take the medications, no sex while the UTI is active. Make cranberries a part if your regular diet.
It will go away. Feel better.

I recommend getting some AZO pills.
Over the counter at any store.
They take the sting away.
Other than that, drink lots of water and take your antibiotics.
Nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Wear cotton underwear
And change 2x if u get overheated

Just drink a lot of fluids to pee out infection

It’s just a UTI. Finish your antibiotics and drink plenty of water. It’s not contagious and you can have sex.

1 Like

I’ve had a few UTI’s. I always found that having sex would be uncomfortable so best to wait until you are not gonna be irritated by sex. Cranberry juice (not cranberry cocktail juice) drink lots of water! Not contagious at all but the antibiotics may cause a yeast infection which can be spread to men during sex. I suggest eating yogurt or taking a probiotic when taking any form of Antibiotics. You can shower or bathe with your kid no problem. Try and stay as clean and dry down under as possible.

2 Likes

Drink cranberry juice, potty before sex and after sex, wear cotton undies, don’t use bubble baths and drink lots of water.

1 Like

D-mannose, cranberry juice and lots of water!!

Drink a lot of cranberry juice and water. Take azo cranberry pills.

Drink water and cranberry juice it’s not contagious at all you can still. Shower with your kiddos and you can still have sex it’s a yeast infection that you can get through sex

Real cranberry juice & lots of water, wipe front to back, cotton underwear, NO SEX, and take all of your pills.

No not contagious
AZO over the counter helps also and drink lots of water

Cranberries. The juice helps a lot but if you don’t like the juice then there are cranberry pills. Lots of water.

Hydrate. Water and cranberry juice. Azo pills, take with food.

Lots of water… Less sugar, cranberry juice, no sex. To much pain. It’s a infection. It could cause you to keep the infection. Makesure to take all the medicine as prescribed.

Get cranberry juice,the 100 percent juice. Not cocktail. Lots of water. Stay away from surgery drinks.

1 Like

Always pee after sex

1 Like

I wouldn’t have sex until it clears up. Drink lots of water. Make sure when you do have sex you pee afterwards. Showering with others is fine. Just make sure you clear it up because UTI can cause kidney problems and put you in sepsis.

Shower and keep clean and dry. Take your medicine and drink lots of water. I would say no sex until its cleared up.

Cranberry juice. Take the antibiotics. No it is not contagious. Wait to have sex until the UTI is gone. When you do have sex again, pee after.

What you should do is get a NEW DOCTOR!!! Wow.

10 Likes

First, You cant give a UTI to your children.
Secondly, are you pregnant ?
If you have a UTI during pregnancy its actually dangerous for your unborn baby. I’m currently 35 weeks and I have been warned about the dangers.
Third, Drink Cranberry juice WITHOUT sugar and lots of water.

Since some of you clearly have zero sense. If a UTI is improperly treated it can cause Preterm labor and or low birth weight.
I don’t have time to argue with a soul Google it and ask your Ob.

Drink water or cranberry juice, Make sure you are wiping properly, pee AFTER SEX (they have bacteria and not urinating after sex keeps the bacteria inside to grow) and yes, cotton undies or if you are wearing a thong or intimate undies make sure they have the cotton lining. Also, I used to get them frequently, my doctor ended up asking me which soda I drank and it was Mountain Dew, he said the dyes in the drink could also cause the UTI, I stopped drinking it,maybe once every few months and they are gone. Haven’t had one in YEARS.

Cranberry juice cleanses you, your kidneys and is VERY good for the urinary tract. :ok_hand:

1 Like

sex may have caused it. so, drink lots, don’t get dehydrated, pee before and after sex, keep yourself clean “down there”. don’t take bubble bath or soap bath, use only baby soap on your nether, use cotton panties, don’t use tampons all the time, Stay away from “scented” pads and tampons, change tampons every two hours if you’re going to use them.

2 Likes

Talk to your pharmacist

No sex, it is nor contagious, take all your meds and pee after sex in the future so you minimize reoccurrence.

All of the above, then go get a new doctor!!! :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:
You should have a doctor who you can ask as many what you feel are dumb questions and get them answered!!! Even if you laugh about the dumb questions later. God forbid something more serious comes up. You definitely don’t want FB google doctor’s advice. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Depending on what antibiotics u got, DO NOT drink alcohol!

1 Like

Lots and lots of water, cranberry juice (100% juice, not cocktail), no sex.

Pomegranate juice is also really good for UTIs

2 Likes

It is not contiguous need antibotic to clear it up. They are conmon

Drink lots of water and get AZO from Walgreens.

Avoid baths; abstain from sex until the UTI is gone; take your meds; drink water; try to avoid alcohol, dairy, and sugary drinks until UTI is gone.

1 Like

It’s not contagious. You get UTI’s because bacteria is introduced into you urinate tract. Change you underwear often, drink lots of water, cranberry juice or tablets help a lot. You can have sex. Pee right after to flush the bacteria out that may have been introduced to you urinary tract. Sorry girl. I hate getting UTI’s. :disappointed:

2 Likes

UTI are not contagious. Take your meds and it will go away

Water,cranberry juice, I would lay off sex at least for a few days till the antibiotic start working. Also if you are on birth control just know antibiotics make the birth control not work so I would use extra protection if you dont want to get pregnant. I pee before and after sex I have had 3 the passed year. Everytime I dont pee before I get one. Azo is great for a UTI.

Take the medication till it’s gone get u some cranberry juice it will help flush ur bladder n drink water I’d take showers til it clears n I would wait on the sex part too

That is so funny and weird that your doctor said that lol. Take the medicine and drink LOTS of water and cranberry juice. Probably avoid sex for sure but showers are still ok, they aren’t contagious. I dunno if your doc gave you anything for the pain but over the counter stuff AZO helps with burning and urgency.but it also turns your pee bright orange and it can stain stuff like your underwear but it really helps with the pain and feeling like you have to pee every 5 seconds. Lots and lots and lots of water!

1 Like

Don’t have sex. Take all your pills. Drink tons of water and cranberry juice. Don’t take baths. Wipe front to back. No soaps in that area. No thongs.

1 Like

Omg those things are the worst. I got my first one right after I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and I was scared I was miscarrying because the pain was so bad. I was hit with excruciating cramps every time I peed and had zero control over my bladder. That doctor is an ass. Make sure you take all of the antibiotics. You can take Tylenol or Motrin for pain. Cranberry juice can help flush it out but make sure it’s 100%. Azo will make your pee orange but it helps. Wait until you recover to have sex. Showers are fine.

All these things everyone have posted are great, but must I say SHAME on your Dr. for not giving you the information and support.

5 Likes