How to deal with rude school staff?

Anyone else absolutely can’t stand their child’s school secretary? My daughter loves her school and her teacher is so sweet, but dealing with the secretary makes me want to switch schools. Anytime I have to call for something or deal with her durning a check out, she’s the rudest!! She was supposed to call me back a couple days ago with my daughter’s school ID number for a food stamp card she received in the mail, well I called today to see if she’d ever found it or if I needed to contact the school board office maybe. In no way was I ugly or anything, I was just wondering so the card isn’t just sitting on my kitchen counter. She had the worst attitude and told me that she printed it out and it’s been waiting on me. She never bothered to even call me back let alone tell me she printed it out that day! It’s to the point I don’t even want to be involved in this school and that’s not fair to my daughter!
73 Likes

Yea we aren’t gonna like everyone in our kids schools. Nor do we have too. And vice versa. She doesn’t HAVE to like you, let alone get along with you considering how many parents she probably deals with that probably don’t care about their kids education. You took how many days to call her back? Why not jsut call her back the next day :woman_shrugging: she’s a secretary…with lots to deal with during the day…sounds like you both assumed the other was gonna call.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to deal with rude school staff? - Mamas Uncut

I’d make a complaint like I get things are stressful but being like that isn’t okay

3 Likes

The secretary was rude at my kids school to, but that many years ago.

Just ask to speak to the principal and tell her your issue or just straight up ask the lady if she has a problem translating information to the parent…I had to do that at Walgreens the other day…the lady acted really rude slammed her keys on the counter because I walked up as she was leaving her register…I said do u not want to do this transaction I can find someone else and she straightened her attitude real quick be respectful and firm

Make a complaint, if that doesn’t work, be petty and rude back.

Mention it to the pricipal.

1 Like

File a complaint with principal and school board

7 Likes

Probably she is a bitch but also it’s your responsibility for that kind of stuff. Is she supposed to make 300 calls to every parent with their kid’s ID number? She probably has other stuff to do. Just looking at it from her side :woman_shrugging:

As hard as it is, bring her a treat or something when you’re there in person

4 Likes

Talk to the principal and anyone above her. When I was in school the secretary was the BEST definitely makes a difference.

1 Like

Awe man that sucks!!! :sleepy: I swear the secretary’s at my kids school make the school what it is! I’d file a complaint forsure

Talk to the head. My kids receptionest is the nicest person possible

Her boss is the principal. I’d send them an email and just explain your distaste for the person. They may be clueless.

3 Likes

I feel this. I cannot stand most of the staff at my daughter’s school. I’m thankful she will start 6th grade elsewhere

I’ve dealt with that we have a rude one in our district be a bitch back who cares :rofl::sweat_smile:

I’ve noticed once I’m rude back to someone, they get shocked and change their attitude. I usually get it from racists but when they realise I’m not scared of them, they change :rofl::rofl:

I hated the secretary when I was a kid and now she’s my daughter’s school secretary and it’s brutal. I make it my point to go above and beyond in kindness, especially when she is rude. It accentuates her attitude. Ive never thought about reporting her. I just know in our small town, she’s a miserable b*tch and it shows… :roll_eyes: everyone knows…

Who is her boss? Have a conversation with them

My son’s elementary school had the worst also. So glad we no longer deal with her.

You should be an example to your daughter. People are rude. We all have to deal with it. You should let the secretary know that you in no way meant to be disrespectful with your actions but you feel her attitude towards you is unwarranted. Don’t let one rude person keep you from being involved at your child’s school. That just shows your child that you let other people control your actions.

Talk to the principal if no help talk to the superintendent if no help there go to the school board and if still no help call the state office! You have to go through all the steps before anyone will help trust me I’ve been there !! It sucks

4 Likes

Say something to school administrators.

1 Like

You either have to put her in her place or go above her so she can be disciplined :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

I have dealt with the same thing for two years and when I wrote an email to the vice principal letting them know what it was like and that it was to the point I avoided the office at all costs. I asked them how I should feel good handing my child over to people that are so awful to me? They set out to make my life hell in every way possible after that, and this year, the rudeness just continues. I would love to have a fly on the wall recording just how ridiculous my daughter and I are treated. Good luck to you I know how it can ruin the experience and wanting to have anything to do with them at all.

3 Likes

Been there, talk to the principal and be prepared to give examples.

1 Like

Sad when people like her think they’re better then you are :disappointed::rage:

4 Likes

I’ve always been told everybody has a boss …take it up with her superiors. Must be something about school secretaries / I’ve met some orettt grouchy ones too. I’m sure many are nice as well

3 Likes

I’m sorry. That’s horrible. My daughter’s school’s secretary is the best! My daughter even saw something that she thought she would like while we were on vacation, so she got it for her :heart:

1 Like

Talk to principle… then go to supernident … then school board …

4 Likes

God is good. So many miracles that day, so much love & courage & compassion.

1 Like

Kill her with kindness. Some people just do not have bedside manners. Will the teacher be more helpful to you? Maybe go through the teacher next time.

1 Like

Either put her in her place and/or go above her! I’m doing that today because EVERY time I call the school to call my son out for appointments she either doesn’t answer at all or I have to call multiple times to get her to answer! It pisses me off! My son is NEVER ready to go when I need him because she never answers the damn phone or is at her desk to open the door. I’m addressing it in email with the Principal today and I expect results! Or I’ll go higher!

Report her to the school administrator

1 Like

I don’t even speak to them lol I text my sons teachers directly

You should take your concerns to the higher ups of the school

My daughters doctor’s office is like that I just switched to a new office I couldn’t t
deal with it.

Go up there when something needs done. Most of the deal with alot. We have two and they are always busy and probably stressed.

Kill her with kindness don’t let one rotten apple spoil the bunch.

I’ve never had bad office staff but a few run ins some some shitty teachers lol

Id tell her shes rude, and cause a scene.
My guess is shes never been put in her place before & your probably not the only one shes does it too!

I would speak to the secretary directly. I would ask if I did something to upset her. When she says “no why?” Tell her how she has been making you feel. If she says yes listen and apologize.

1 Like

Email teacher then call school administrators or lunch department of the school

1 Like

When people are rude to me I say: I’m sorry you’re having such a bad day. How can I make it better? You would be surprised by the number of people who instantly stop being a jerk.

My son’s school secretary is the same way! She always has an instant attitude with me every time I talk to her.

I always say take the bull by the horns. Go in to the office and confront her in person. Just go in and ask to speak to her in a friendly way. And say that apparently the two of you have gotten off on the wrong foot and you would like to clear the air for your daughters sake as well as yours. You really like the school and want to be able to call and have a friend that you can count on to watch out for your daughter’s best intrest. And you just feel there is some sort of friction between the two of you right now. So you would like to get everything out in the open. And wait for her response. If that doesn’t work then go to her supervisor. Good luck.

1 Like

Contact the superintendent. Tell him the issues and see if they do anything to right the situation. If they don’t go to the school board. Like why work in a school if your just going to be unpleasant?

Talk to the principal

Talk to the principal.

My children’s secretary is so rude to everyone she speaks to everyone like they are children does my head in! I don’t understand how she got accepted for the job to be honest!

I use to hate one of our old secretaries, funny thing is one day when I was in the office, I noticed her name was “Mrs moody”. I just thought it was kind of fitting lol

3 Likes

Don’t deal with her deal with the school district directly call the school cafeteria there’s a manager at the cafeteria or the school district lunch dept

It’s sad to say but most schools staff are pretty rude. I usually don’t deal with them. But I have had a sit down numerous times with the principal (she’s been the issue) and I’m not one to hold back… So our conversation usually was me telling her what I thought and how her actions are disrespectful… It usually doesn’t do much though so your best bet is to report to the school admin about the issue but again, that doesn’t do much either. Depending on what the issue is I would say go through the teacher or another staff member.

It’s a frustrating job becauses 1 person is dealing with 400 students, plus their parents. I am not trying to be rude when I say, it’s not her job to call you, it’s your job to follow up and get the information that you need. I am not suggesting that her attitude is justified, but I understand it. I am sorry that’s she’s made you feel like you don’t even want to be involved, but in all honesty the best way to handle someone like her, is to kill her with kindness. Sometimes, something as small as, “I understand you are busy with a thousand other things, but I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to help me with this.” Any time you have to deal with her will one, ease your mental health about the whole interaction because you shouldn’t take it personal and two it may actually smooth the water between the two of you.

Call her on her attitude! Speak with the principal, if need be! I’ve never been disrespectful to my daughters school staff but I’ve ALWAYS let it be known I will NOT be talked down to, disrespected or be ignored! It is her job and if she doesn’t like the job perhaps she should find a new one!! You aren’t asking anything out of her job description!

4 Likes

I’ve always called people out who act like that and usually they don’t know they’re acting that poorly. :woman_shrugging: Then if nothing changes the next time they are acting the same way set up a meeting with their boss.

2 Likes

Ours was a horribly rude woman! I hated her the 4 years we have been there. Always rubbed me wrong. Last month she was arrested and charged with murder of a 4 year old girl… :flushed::flushed:

Call the school board and report her

You need to report her to your school board

Email principle or talk too principal now on I go to my son’s school personally or I personally speak with the principle but I’ve not had that problem yet yet his school. Just one day they didn’t call me till 3:20 and I went off so did my mom it’s about leaving certain instructions with who’s gonna make it happen

Talk to the principal if she is that way with you she is that way with other parents a d doesn’t need a job at the school period

1 Like

I agree with a talk with the principal is needed

2 Likes

Maybe it’s time to have a heart to heart and tell her if she hates her job so much it’d be in everyone’s best interest if she would find a new one.

Some peope are just so miserable with their own lives they make everyone else miserable. Doesn’t make it right by any means, it just is what it is. The best you can do is kill em with kindness

1 Like

Sorry but I’m blunt and have no issues putting someone like this in their place. If that doesn’t work report her.

5 Likes

I have and she even called back and said sorry as she told me my daughter was suspended and I was so confused and turns out it was the wrong Hailee! who mixes up that… of course I was upset and shocked cause she was the bus watch girl and apparently she was suspended for something on the bus and I told her that and she was like well guess she’s not one anymore and started full out laughing!! I’m like I’m sorry what this is not funny at all…

woo not a good example for kids to c the secretary act like that.

We have the same problem at my school!!! I can’t stand it!!

1 Like

If it’s the pet card it’s the child’s birthday.

Report her behavior to the school district. That’s what I did with mine. She was rude af… I noticed a change. They didn’t really do anything other than make my complaints known to the principal who intern showed the receptionist. I think she was embarrassed by it a little and was more conscious about how she acted.

Ask her to her face if she has a problem with you or is it just a problem coming to work without a shitty attitude. I understand when people are busy and aggravated like yes maybe she fell behind and forgot to call u but if she constantly has an attitude with everybody that’s when I’d tell her she’s in the wrong line of work

Give her the same attitude. Or put her in place.

1 Like

Board of Ed… and call three way… or record it and show them

Dish her with a mouthful of what she’s giving you

I won’t take jack shit from anyone at school :woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

My daughters school too it’s like a big inconvenience if she has to pick the phone up and work

1 Like

I would just cut to the chase and tell her I feel she has a very poor bedside manner. A lot of the time if you call them out on their behaviour they usually do an attitude adjustment. If not, speak to the Principal…

5 Likes

I don’t like when they try to rush you off the phone either… :woman_shrugging:t4: But I always call back. :wink:

Time to have a chat with the principal. Having worked in a school the secretary does get all the crap BUT it take a very special person to deal with it all. Sounds like she needs another position.

6 Likes

I’m blunt and to the point when I had an issue with the secretary I went and told the principle as well and that I didn’t want to deal with him anymore. That their lack of communication wasn’t a me issue etc. I was mad since then I haven’t had any issues.

Yesss!!! The woman in the office at my son’s elementary school was a total nightmare. I absolutely despised that woman. She was one of the reasons I pulled him to homeschool. Her and his completely evil 1st grade teacher that should have never been allowed to work with children…

Yes. Just kill her with kindness. I swear. Be nice af even if its fake as hell. Your daughter goes to school there you just have to sick it up and be really nice. She’ll get the picture soon enough.

1 Like

It’s the beginning of the school year and it is a crazy time especially for the school secretary. I should know…I was one for 24 years before I retired. Please be patient with them. They are being pulled in 30 directions all at once! When you go in to get your paperwork, bring them a cup of coffee. They never get a break and, most times, even eat lunch at their desk.

4 Likes

Inform the principal that’s what I did and let him/her know they need to retrain there staff that they are rude and unprofessional… if she doesn’t clean up her attitude after that contact the district…

I’ll be the odd one out . Just kill them with kindness . It could be worse . It could be a teacher making your kid miserable.

7 Likes

I hate my sons school Admin team, like office secretary all the way up to the principal

Call the school board and complain!!!

4 Likes

Talk to the principal.

3 Likes

I’d contact the principal or higher up

7 Likes

Call the school board

2 Likes

This is so strange. I was just thinking today how the chick that is the secretary at my sons high school has got to be the most miserable hateful woman. I don’t know what it is with these women that are secretary for our schools but they really should find a job they aren’t so miserable with.

5 Likes

What a sad statement I taught in many schools. Called involuntarily transfers and I can truthfully say the secretaries were such a help, a guide, a happy face, a source of information and a friend

3 Likes

Have you ever spent even 20 min in the schools office? It’s pure chaos. She’s doing her best. Maybe instead of complaining you can volunteer to help her out.

8 Likes

Don’t take anything personal? I’m thinking they have a stressful, hard job just don’t take anything personal.

1 Like

You can’t be the only one who has issues. Go to the superintendent. She’s a employee by the tax payers. You have the right to demand someone who has a better attitude.

2 Likes

Give a little grace! I’ll bet that secretary is HUMAN!

How many kids are in your daughter’s classroom? Now multiply that by how many classrooms in her grade. Now multiply that by how many grades in the school that the secretary is in charge of managing.

3 Likes

I wish every one of you commenting “call the school board/principal” could be a fly on the wall in an elementary office for an hour. Most of you have no idea what the secretaries do in a day.

5 Likes

People acting like someone can’t have a bad day. School Secretary’s generally have so much on their plate and often tasked with multiple jobs. There are hundreds of students she has to deal with, you honestly expect they can remember every person they need to call? Send an email. Go to the school. :expressionless:

4 Likes

If on the phone, preface your conversation with, “This is being recorded for quality assurance.” If in person, state, “I’m recording this conversation so I don’t forget, or misjudge what’s being said.”

2 Likes

Report her to school admin