How to get baby to sleep in her own bed?

I have a 1 month old baby and she won’t stop crying everytime I put her in her cot, if she’s asleep she will wake up within two minutes. I can’t soothe her unless I pick her up or she just keeps going, i understand she may be going through a leap but I’m going slightly bananas, I’ve had to have my sister come over and hold her just so I can have 2 mins to shower.I’m a single mum so it’s becoming impossible for me to do anything. Anyone had this and can help?
Ftm also, TIA

27 Likes

She could have gas or colic, try gripe water. It’s like magic in a bottle!

3 Likes

My one son was like that and he had reflux which also caused gas to build up on his belly.

2 Likes

Don’t keep holding her she will get use to it let her cry if she is not hungrey or wet then let her cry swallow her like u did at the hospital but holding her all the time will not work

3 Likes

Sounds like gas pain to me

1 Like

The baby swing was my savior!!:):wink: good luck to u mama… just breathe and know this wont last forever…

1 Like

Try swaddling and prop upwards a little bit. Maybe a pacifier.

Swaddling blankets and baby swing

1 Like

Think it’s called the 4th trimester. They miss being in the womb so want to be held lots. I know how hard it is though. I have 4. You still need time to yourself. Maybe a stroller in your home? Or a swing
As long as she’s in view?’my baby loves her swing. But the first three months are the hardest. It will get better but for now hang in there
I know it’s hard! You’re doing your best.

2 Likes

My son was like that too, we had to switch to a gentleease formula, worked great.

Gas drops. I also highly recommend a chiropractor, it helps with sleeping, colic symptoms etc. Swaddling. The rock and play saved my life with my kids lol I hope you find a solution soon!

My son did the same thing the only way it stopped was to let him cry it out . It took a while and it was hard to not pick him up but we survived !

1 Like

Swaddle her or lay her on a shirt you had on . She will smell your scent and think your holding her

Baby swing, swaddled her TIGHT (where she wiggles won’t come loose), add some rice cereal to bottle, make sure she has socks and maybe still a cap for her head (not used to cold air yet!), buy the Gas relief drops and maybe check her formula? My kids needed Gentke ease…

1 Like

Trial and error hun, trial and error. Vaccum while the baby sleeps, play music. Put baby in the car seat in the bathroom with you while you’re in the shower, kitchen wherever, and talk to her/him. And if need be call a family member or friend to give you 5 minutes to yourself. And remember, it is okay to cry when feeling overwhelmed, tired and alone. I used to go to my moms house for a week just so I could have help and sleep when my oldest was a baby.

3 Likes

My son was like this until he was like 4 months old. Buy some sort of ring sling to strap them on and get shit done.
But I dont believe in leaving a baby to cry so that was what we did :blush:

If ur breastfeeding him could b she’s hungry not enough in ur milk

Dont let her cry it out, thats terrible… it wont be like that for long! Prob belly problems ! Shell grow out of it , youll miss it!

6 Likes

My first child was the same . I used a swing the motion soothed her and kept her asleep.

Sound like a touch of colic may want to ask her pediatrician

1 Like

Yup! Just went thru it with my grandson, & my daughter (who lives in my home) had a very hard time with it also. He is just now going on 4 months & starting to come out of it. But we literally traded off holding him to get things done the first 3 months of his life.
Just hold, soothe, swing, & do the best you can. Keep asking for help, & consider hiring an older teen for a few hours after school a couple days a week to help out. They work cheap & are happy for the money!
Best of luck mama, just love your baby thru it.

Its normal. Ur going to have to get used to it

2 Likes

You need to take care of you. If your wee one is fed, clean, warm and comfy she’s fine for a bit. Take your shower…Vacuum, turn on a noisy fan…Sometimes babes cry. It’s okay. I actually felt better if I heard crying. It was when they were silent that I was worried.:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Baby wear. Baby wear. Baby wear.
You’ll have both hands free. When you need to shower bring her cot in the bathroom with you. Take your shower and that way you can peek on her without freaking out because she’s crying. It gets easier mama. Hang in there.

2 Likes

Being born is hard work. They have grown inside you for 9 months and then suddenly they are separated from you. Your heart beat is soothing to her. Try baby wearing. Soft structured carriers and wraps/slings are life savers! I would not have survived my daughter being a baby/toddler without baby wearing. I agree it could be gas. I would also try giving her gripe water!

2 Likes

Have you tried the trick I used. I bought a pair of gloves and filled it with beans, heated it in the microwave for just a few moments to get it warm and laid it on my twin sons and it worked perfectly. They too were colic for almost a year. The heat helps sooth them and the weight of the beans makes them think I’m there touching and soothing them. Hope you find some peace soon.

I have a 7 week old shes the same way but only happens after 3pm and last almost until 2am. I think its colic! We have been using gripe water and the gerber soothe probiotics colic drops they help some days but other days it’s just impossible!

First few months are like that, it will be ok with time.

Baby wearing is a life saver for babies like that. Lol

4 Likes

Check for a lip tie or tounge tie. My baby had collic for 3 months and I’m only 19 with my first baby. I went nuts because my signifact other was working all day car rides work or putting him in a carseat and start the dryer

Try Gripe water. It will soothe her stomach. My daughter was allergic to my breastmilk and I could see the pain in her face. Gripe water really helps!

1 Like

If the baby is full… And belly isn’t hurting… No reflux or anything like that… You can let the baby cry for a minute. It will not hurt the baby to cry while you shower and do things around the house!

3 Likes

Could be acid reflux. My daughter cried all day and night hardly slept just cried for months. I switched formula 9 times thinking it was that. My milk didn’t come in. Finally after 7 visits to the pediatrician. She thought I was lying. So I took a video of her screaming. Her seen and said o your serious. I think it’s acid reflux. Put on zantac and enfamil ar and now shes a whole different baby.

My advice is babywearing I had a colic baby and a clingy baby and it worked for both

5 Likes

This is normal for a newborn. They feel secure and safe when they’re against your chest.

1 Like

If the baby can pick her head up and move it from side to side, you can try laying her on her stomach. Babies with tummy trouble love to lay on their tummy!

Sounds like a colicky baby… swaddle tight, and try putting her in a bouncy seat and sit on top of dryer while the dryer is running. Buy some Mylicon Colic drops, or Little Remedies Colic Relief at Wal Mart. Hope things get easier for you soon. Heat also feels good to a colicky baby, you could lay a heating pad on low and do a couple blankets over it to protect her skin and see if that helps to soothe her when you lay her down.

Wrap yourself in her blankie and wear them around you, underneath her. When you lay her down lay her on something that smells like Mama, I also had a rubber glove filled with rice, that I would set on their back while they lay on their tummy. They feel and smell you and it brings comfort. Remember Mama, your baby’s whole life was surrounded by your warmth, your heartbeat, this is new for baby too. Good luck Mama.

Grit your teeth and let her cry it out!

1 Like

Get yourself a baby wrap! U get to use BOTH hands and baby is still being held…win win!

1 Like

And I agree with the baby swing, it was great with my baby

Swings were what let me get stuff done during the day and I let both my girls cry it out at night. Took about 3 nights to get them used to sleeping alone. And I co-slept with both of them. I know horrible mom! Both my girls also slept with blankets and pillows too!

You could try moving the cot to a different part of the room.

Get a baby wrap or a sling.

Try giving her formula to keep her more fuller put songs out for her so she feels as if some one is singing to her look at the time she stays up to the time she’s asleep sometimes breastfeeding sunhats because they don’t sleep as much

2 Likes

Babies aren’t manipulators. She’s crying for a reason. Pick her up and love on her.

3 Likes

She’s cold. It was 97 degrees in your belly. She wants to be warm again.

My little one started crying like that at one month old. Got this amazing gripe water made in the USA …i live in South Africa…it is called Colic calm…my daughter had colic and also had acid refulx. Besides changing her milk the colic calm worked wonders its homeopathic too. I gave it to her in the am and evening…after 3 days i had a new baby…she is 3 months old now and still doing amazing

1 Like

My son was that way from 2 weeks old until around 5 months old. I was told he had colic and followed every step necessary as told by doctors to help with it, but nothing would help. The only relief came around month 5 when my brother brought us his son’s old swing and that was literally the only way I was able to get anything done. Years later I was reading an article about reflux in babies and my son had every sign/symptom of it, basically the same things you’re describing as well. It could be your baby has it

Try putting her in a bouncer or something and leavimg the shower curtain open so she can see you. Yeah it will gwt water everywhere but my daughter is the same way. My daughter doesnt have the sleeping in her own bed problem anymore though so thats something your child may outgrow. My daughter does sleep with me somethimes still but usually only when she doesnt feel good or just wants her mommy and daddy.

I have a 2 month old thats the same way . I use the moby wrap so I can get stuff done around the house and shes still being held and snug so shes happy.

PLEASE DO NOT LET YOUR BABY JUST CRY IT CAN MESS UP THERE BRAIN DEVELOPMENT AND CAN CAUSE THEM TO HAVE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS. she is crying because she is trying to communicate with you. Its all she can do to express how she feels

4 Likes

Maybe gassy, do you swaddle her because they may make her feel like shes being held tight. Try baby swing

Relax dear, put her down for a nap let her fuss a bit, it’ll not kill her!!

She’s only a month old, mama. You have to remember that she’s spent most of her life on the inside and that it’s scary in this big cold world to her. Babywearing works wonders! And if she only sleeps a few minutes at a time when you put her down then I suggest mastering quick showers (or learn to shower in parts: hair this nap, shave during that nap, wash your body during another). If you have a bouncy seat or swing, you could set them up where you can see her while you shower. It gets easier but right now, she’s needing the comfort of your touch and heartbeat.

1 Like

sleeping on tummy is a no no now. I would try it, or a belly band. crying wont hurt baby

Try swaddling her.

When my son was 3 weeks old he went through a leap with cluster feeding and wanting to be cuddled all the time. I started swaddling him again and it worked. He let me put him down when he fell asleep and stayed asleep for an hour or so.

Yes, I went through the same thing. I pulled my hair at first, but just ended up going with it. My baby needed me so I learned to embrace it. Also, we safely co-slept.

1 Like

You should have thought before you left!

1 Like

Just hold her. Wear her.
She needs you. She’s so new

Honey my baby is 44 yrs old and things have changed a lot since I was taking care of a little one. Now with that being said, put a clean diaper on, make sure her tummy is full with warm milk, and if you want to take a shower put her in a punkin seat or bouncing seat what ever and take her in the bathroom with you. Turn your water on get in and start singing to her. She hears you, she knows you are there she may cry and that’s ok good lung exercise as my doctor used to say. Lol she will wear herself out. As long as you know there is nothing wrong with her, it’s not going to hurt her to cry. Some babies just cry. They just do. If she has tears then shes really crying, no tears she’s just mad and wants to be held. Need to break that habit now. Other wise you will never get anything done. Good luck and dont worry your going to be a Great Mom.

1 Like

Have you expressed this to her doctor? Are you breast feeding or formula feeding?

My boy is doing this at the moment he’s 6weeks today. I have to hold him for him not to be crying. Luckily he will nap tho. And he still sleeps thru the night (other than feedings) but when it’s waking hours he’s crying. I think my boy is teething tho. (Yeah sounds crazy but I’m legitimately serious in my case) he is also going thru a grown spurt

Contrary to popular belief, you won’t spoil your baby by holding her. She’s only a month old she needs to feel safe and secure. Get a sling or a wrap and wear her. Not in the shower obviously, but bring her into the bathroom with you in a bouncer or rocker. No baby ever suffered from being loved too much. As frustrating and exhausting as babies are, her behaviour sounds perfectly normal :wink:

4 Likes

My baby was the same way until about 4 months. At some point you just have to let them cry for a few minutes to get something done. It sucks but as long as they’re fed, have a clean diaper, and no medical issues, she’ll be ok!

Do not let your baby cry it out. She is expressing a need. Babies need more then a dry diaper and a full tummy.
It will pass my daughter was the same. The time is to short when they are little
Lots of skin to skin lots of cuddles. I used to take a bath with my daughter instead of showering.
It will sound crazy because you are in the thick of it. But you will miss it. My daughter is now 14 months and is so active I never get cuddles

3 Likes

If your having trouble getting things done around the house, try using a snuggly. My LO was the same. I would wear a snuggly so I could clean and get things done.

2 Likes

If she likes being held maybe try swaddling her? She may like being wrapped up to feel more secure. But make sure it’s safe swaddling, no loose blankets :blush:

3 Likes

My youngest used to do this. Try white noise! It helped my son

Vibration and white noise on YouTube it’s called colic baby it helps alot

Do you swaddle her snuggly?

1 Like

A month old is so young. You gotta realize shes used to being held non stop inside of you for 9 months. Its not just gonna stop instantly. You gotta ween her off slow i know its hard. Swaddle her good & hold her while she still lets you.

Give her a bit of gripe water, swaddle her, lay her on her belly on your legs and rub her back. The little bit of pressure on her belly will help with the colic. Theres also the football hold , and try pushing her feet up against your belly and massage her tummy to move some of the gas bubbles around to relief some of the gas. Also if depends how much she eats. If your that frustrated then put her in her bed and walk away and let her cry for a few minutes to calm yourself down. Theres nothing wrong with her crying. " a calm mom means calm baby" “frustrated mom frustrated baby” alternate things to help with is going for a drive helps move the bubbles and soothes her. But as a single mom of 2 and my mom being being a single mom of 3. Yes it’s hard to be a single mom but you can figure out the best way for colicky babies.

Could be a normal growth spurt, could also be something else like an ear infection or teething. I would take her to the doctor before trying anything else

Try one of those slings or a carrier that you wear… that way they still get the feeling of being held but it will free up your hands to be able to get some stuff done… good luck Mama!

Get a wearable baby sling keeps your hands free to do stuff and the baby isn’t upset all the time. I didn’t have one with my oldest two…but my youngest was strapped to me several times a day just hanging out while I did everything. It was great

My babes couldn’t sleep on the hard mat that was on the bottom of the crib & in bassinet. I added a two inch memory foam pad and they do much better. I know it’s probably some kind of no-no but we’re all good. Also white noise is KEY haha.

Colic? I had this with my baby and had to change formula.

1 Like

Put a clock that ticks under her pillow or bedding , it will sound like a heartbeat ,

1 Like

All babies have different needs. I have 3 and one due in August. My now 4yr old had such a need for touch. I have always co-slept with my little ones and this lil guy… As soon as he did not feel me next to him, he’d be up. We don’t cosleep much anymore but about a week ago we did and I woke up to both his legs up the back of my shirt (he was laying upside down / back to back with me). Sometimes he still needs to have that close intimacy with mom, and honestly - when he grows out of this it’ll break my heart a bit. My daughter - complete opposite. Please, remember this - they are little people who experience comfort differently just as you and I. I don’t believe in let them cry it out until they’re used to not being comforted by you. Because that will happen IF YOU ALLOW IT. Please, don’t allow it😢

My baby used to do this. She had colic and reflux. She just didn’t have the projectile vomiting commonly associated with the reflux. Once I started her on baby Zantac and some gripe water, she completely changed.

This was my daughter exactly. I just held her. I didn’t really want to put her down either to be honest. I only tried to do the bassinet because everyone told me it was safer. Eventually, I stopped listening and continued bedsharing guilt-free. As long as you are breastfeeding, not drinking or doing drugs, it is safe. And, we all slept much better that way.

1 Like

Yes sweetie… especially being a single mom, I know it’s hard… sometimes you just have to let them cry… while soothing…it might take a couple of days but her crying will wear her out and she will sleep harder…a fan noise is soothing to them too…before she goes to sleep try massaging her…it will relax her… hope it helps

1 Like

There’s also tons of research that shows how newborns use the mom’s heartbeat to regulate their own, and her body temperature to adjust their own. You are biologically supposed to be touching as much as possible. It’s developmentally beneficial for the baby.

1 Like

She could be having formula issues or acid reflux… my son had both & he was miserable until the doctors actually listened to me to get it fixed… try to a warm bath with lavender lotion, a warm bottle, burp her very lightly on her belly then try swaddling her.

1 Like

Biggest thing for Mom is to remain calm… If you need to put baby in their bed for a few minutes to gather your composure. That’s ok. If you are frustrated…your baby will be frustrated. Other than that, just keep trying. There are dozens of ways to help calm a baby. You know who usually has the best advice?? Your mom, and grandma. They raised babies long before these new toys, chairs and products. Old school works really well. So find an older role model, who used all natural, mommy skills to help their babies.

1 Like

Have her ears checked

1 Like

A baby sling is perfect! I have had my granddaughters from birth and the baby loves the closeness

We had same issue with out daughter her deliver was really fast like 30 mins fast and it put a lot of strain on her body and I tried everything and all she did was cry but we live in the bible belt in midwest so we have lots of natural holistic dr places my friend recommended I take her to a chiropractor that specializes with infants so I did and it made her a totally different kid she was so out of alignment she was in pain her head wasnt sitting on her atlas correctly and had some issues with her back but he seen her 3 times and he fixed her up she wasnt in pain anymore and was like a totally different baby I was skeptical at first until it helped her I was so grateful for my friend recommending to try it she just turned 1 and haven’t had any problems since she went at 1 month old

If your baby is fed and changed and not in pain, and you know that you have your baby in a safe spot so you can shower, then let your baby cry and take a quick shower. Your baby will be fine

1 Like

Swaddle, swaddle, swaddle!!!

My daughter did the same thing from day 1. I found that not swaddling her and laying her on her tummy works way better. She sleeps better cause she pulls her knees up and gets in that fetal position. If she squirms after i lay her down I just lightly pat her butt. I also turn on a heartbeat noise box that has the sound of being in the womb that I took out of a bear from when my son was born 12 yrs ago. It helped him and it helps her too. Shes my second but also you’re probably really nervous when you go to lay the baby down hoping they will stay sleeping. They sense that. My best friend would call me in the middle of the night crying and I would go over cause she couldnt get her first to sleep after feedings. All because she was so nervous that when she would try to put her daughter in her crib she was gonna wake up.

1 Like

Swaddle her in one of your shirts then get a glove fill it with rice n lay it across her gently. Thats what we did with my nephew because he wouldn’t let me put him down. They want the comfort of holding

5 Likes

I know this is tough but it will pass. You have to remember that she was NEVER uncomfortable or cold or scared or hungry or anything when she was inside of you. You’re all she knows so she wants you. You aren’t spoiling her, I promise. It won’t be long before you’ll get more and more time to yourself. Can you hold her in the shower with you and shower one handed? That’s what I’ve had to do with several of my kiddos.

2 Likes

Yup… you’re doing great. I barely showered or brushed my teeth for almost 3 months. This part ends. Nothing we tried worked. It just stopped one day and she switched from a screaming tornado to a happy laughing baby. Just survive it and love them through it.

1 Like

My girl was like this until I had urine tested and she had a kidney infection since birth. Doctors told me to stop breastfeeding (I didn’t) because she was allergic to my milk, colic wind and all the rest but turned out to be serious Infection.

Have you tried baby wearing? Life changer

2 Likes

It could be reflux so yes either try to change formula or find a way to be able to have her sleep with her upper half elevated or maybe she just does not like laying flat my god daughter is the same way she does not like lying flat when she sleeps or she will cry

She may have acid reflux.

My twins were the same way. It was terrible! Many positive vibes your way! :pray:t2: It’s super tough, but she is trying to adjust to not being so close to you and being in the outside environment now. Give yourself grace. It’s ok to be frustrated. I sure know the feeling, and unfortunately, nothing we tried helped. But Reba Dilts has a really interesting suggestion in this thread. I wish I had thought of that. My son is still really sensitive to me leaving a room or not being with him, and he LOVES baby wearing. So you could try that too. But even that didn’t work very well when they were that little. Idk why.