How to get baby to sleep through the night?

Try white noise, soft music, soft lighting.Sometimes babies have to learn to self soothe.As long as the baby is safe in their bed I wouldn’t worry too much.

1 Like

Put one of your shirts in the crib with the baby

3 Likes

I did a lil tylenol for teething, sleep training, and a very soft night light. Sleep training is rough the first week and boom they are sleeping! My lil one is now three and wakes probably once a week, we go in sit with him, a lil tylenol for his molars sometimes. He usually goes right back to sleep

Use a hot water bottle to warm up the soot where he will sleep, remove it, place him on the warm spot. Make a glove weight: a small amount of rice in a garden glove sewn shut. Place the glove weight on his back. When he is asleep, take it off & out of the crib. Perhaps a soft doll to lay beside him?

1 Like

Hey mama, sleep consultant here:) it sounds like you have to go back to putting him down awake. I know it’s tough, especially after illness :heartpulse:

1 Like

It is normal for most babies to sleep through the night at the 2-month mark, and they slowly lose their ability to sleep through the night after that many children won’t even sleep through the night until a year old don’t try to force it and just try to buckle down for the nights ahead! I learned the hard way with mine that he would sleep when he is ready I did every cry out method there was and it just ended in my son hyperventilating needing his mama !!

Ferber method lay him down and walk away best advice my pediatrician gave me. I did it with all 3 of my kids. Yes it is harder when your kids have medical issues, but you have to be at your best to care for them. Put them in their sleeping space at about 8pm and walk away. You cant be at your best if you are completely exhausted.

My son needed something that smelled of me in his crib. Maybe try a well worn sleep shirt of yours, not washed?

Personally I just let mine sleep in bed with me. Mine used to sleep pretty good until at 6 months he cut 4 teeth at once and never went back to normal sleep pattern. He would cry until he puked so I felt the best thing for me and him would be co sleeping and he eventually outgrew it and slept in his own bed. We both got better sleep in the long run and was worth every minute of snuggles. They don’t stay little long so enjoy it while it lasts…cause one day they are out of nowhere adults.

12 Likes

Maybe lay him with a shirt or blanket that smells like you :heart:

1 Like

My daughter slept with me till she was 4 years old… and I would do it all again

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t each is different.

It may not work for all but I used Aveeno Lavender bath and lotion just before bed with a bottle with cereal and a good burp. They slept beautifully. Well, the first two. My third did sleep but with her, she wouldn’t sleep unless I was in the recliner or inclines in the bed holding her. I had to go back to work earlier with her due to financial difficulties.

You mean a baby wants comfort and closeness to his mama? Odd. Kinda like how you want your significant other at night.

4 Likes

Find some music he likes or try some Christmas lites that change colors .

My baby started teething at 6 months and slept with me for a week and I still haven’t gotten her out of my bed and it’s been almost a year :woman_shrugging: so I guess what I’m saying is… I’m no help :rofl:

Sounds weird but… maybe just let him sleep next to you :roll_eyes: he loves you.

5 Likes

If there were magic tricks we’d all be well rested. Its normal for babies to not sleep through the night. They go through stages of not doing so, esp after a big development. Read a dev book. But imagine being a baby. Hes only 8 mo. Cosleeping isnt a bad thing.

3 Likes

Place the crib next to your bed…

3 Likes

Give the baby warm milk…

My first slept through the night since three months old, my second… never did :joy: they’re both different x

Hi! Try to put his crib next to your bed and every day try to move it a little far from you until he gets habituated again. Try also to use white noise, or put a plush toy inside your shirt for a couple of minutes or hours so that your smell will transfer to it. Then put it somewhere close to the crib, not inside because it can be a choking risk.

3 Likes

If you know he’s ok and waking to see if your there id let him cry it’s a bad habit he has now and one of the hardest to break.

3 Likes

My two year old boy never slept in his moses basket alwaya woke to come to the bed he did sleep in a cot but always woke during the night to come in to the bed so now I’ve put the cot up to the level of our bed and took one side off the cot so he sleeps in that all night he does roll over just to feel I’m there but always goes back to his own bed right next to me literally was a great idea but never had a problem with him wanting to be in the bed with me if he was happy then I was :grin:

Crush up honey nut Cheerios and add it to his bedtime bottle.
Lights out 6+ hours

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get baby to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

Let him sleep with you. I wouldn’t fight the battle.

15 Likes

I co slept with all 3 of mine …

3 Likes

Dr Karp on YouTube saved me. 5S’s. If anything have a pack n play near by for those hardcore sleepless nights .

1 Like

You could try the book “No Cry Sleep Solution”

Your his comfort. My oldest slept with me til she was 12 and I loved it.

2 Likes

When this has happened with my kiddos I let them cry it out. Usually they figure out your not going to come in after a bit. I kno it’s hard but if they are fed there diaper us changed and you know they are tired they are fine. Usually once you get them back on that first night the next night they know and it shouldn’t be so bad. Then they should get back on the routine.

7 Likes

Let him cry himself to sleep. I’m a teacher in a child care center and I have found that when you cosleep, it makes it harder on both mother and child.

7 Likes

Yea, never do that lol. I did that one time when my kid was 2, then he slept in my bed until he was 5 :joy: good luck.

2 Likes

Honestly, bring his crib into your room next to your bed, then move it further away from you, then cover him being able to see you, then once hes ok with that, back to his own room.

8 Likes

I personally would just co sleep but that’s not what you were asking and I know that. Have you tried putting his crib next to your bed so he’s in his own bed but can still see you when he wakes up?

2 Likes

I know!! This part is hard…I have 4 kids, and I know your struggle! I ALWAYS said I wouldn’t do the “co-sleeping” BUT…YOU need sleep and rest too!! My 2 youngest (5 & 3) take a MINIMUM of 1 hour to get to sleep, could be in there for 2 hours or more!! It is exhausting!! Once they fall asleep, I get about an hour before they wake up…and sure enough, they BOTH climb in the bed with me. I have to slither out out in the morning, and hope they don’t hear my alarm, just to take a shower before work!! It may NOT be what you want to allow…BUT…you need sleep and rest above all else too!! If it is still happening when he’s 20…then renegotiate…lol…you have to do, what you have to do…in order to sleep!! AND it beats getting up every 10 minutes to calm them, because that is NOT going to get you sleep! It’s hard…and always take it one day at a time! :blush:

2 Likes

We have my sons crib in our room right beside my bed. He wakes up and i try getting him to self soothe but sometimes i let him lay with me and get come snuggles then i put him
Back in his crib. Maybe since he wakes up just to see if you are there put his crib or a pack and play beside your bed see if that helps.

1 Like

Break the habit you started. Keep putting him in the crib to make that habit.

2 Likes

I would definitely put his crib next to your bed because at least he will be able to see you and you will be able to sleep in your own bed and he will be in his and it will be much safer. Good luck mama :heart:

1 Like

He is fine. So are you mom. He needs a set schedule. Keep the baby up when you are up

Yeah I let my babies sleep with me.

Mom of 4. Sweet ones

Well… I don’t know how much help this will be… But at 1 year my daughter started having these intense spells with low O², retractions and this was recurring. Her first spell (attack?) Was super scary. After a two night stay in the hospital… I was exhausted. I had a kind size bed and I wanted to keep her close to me so I could keep an eye on her. Until this she’d always slept in her own bed. That’s all it took. I tried everything to move her back to her own bed. She has these spells on and off for 3 years and ultimately… I gave up trying. She was the best cuddler… So that really worked to her benefit. The next time I remember trying, she was 6 but then her father and I divorced. She needed comfort… And so did I. It even became my excuse to not date for 3 years. I tried again at 10. At 12 she wanted to start wearing make-up. No honey… That’s for big girls who sleep in their own bed. You can wear make-up when you sleep in your own bed for 30 days straight. Wanna know how old she was when she started wearing make-up? 3 months before her 14th birthday.

My best advice… Do the hard part now. You can catch up on your sleep later.

2 Likes

When a person…even a child…cries for a length of time. Your body tenses up…you’re overwhelmed…and the last thing a child needs to learn is when they cry. Their mother isn’t coming to comfort them. There are many solutions to try instead of putting your already confused child through this. Don’t make them cry it out.

8 Likes

Put a bit of cereal in his milk to give him a full belly and a warm bath that will make him sleep.:zzz:

2 Likes

I’m 8 years in and trying to get the youngest out my bed. I have nothing but love to give you.

Cry it out is not “harmful.”

2 Likes

I’d put the crib in your room but not let him sleep with you. Get him used to the crib again and then you can move the crib out

2 Likes

Sleep on the floor beside him for a few nights . Then just lay there til he’s asleep and leave a big pile of blankets so at a glance he still thinks your there and feels safe or whatever

4 Likes

My son sleeps amazingly with utero sounds

Welcome to parenthood

1 Like

Babies crave routine. They need it. The more consistent you are, the more it will stick. Feeding him, changing his diaper and laying him in his crib sleepy but awake is okay, if he cries for a little it is okay, he is 8 months old, he needs to relearn the habit if self soothing himself. Im not talking leaving him along to cry for a long time but there are healthy ways to letting him learn to soothe himself. You can’t rock him to sleep then put him in his crib asleep, he will instantly wake up and cry because the last thing he knew he was with mom and he will need you as a crutch to fall back asleep everytime. There are plenty of helpful books out there. Pick a method and stay consistent, even if it’s draining you, it will click with him eventually. We’ve all been there. Best of luck to you mama.

4 Likes

Sleep regression.When my son went through these (he’s 3 now) I would lay next to his crib until he fell asleep. It takes a few nights but it will pass. Hang in there momma

1 Like

I got separated with my husband when my 2 kids were 3yrs and 4yrs old (18 mos between them)
I had a king size bed, when both of the out grow their cribs they slept with me.
I felt it was easier to have them sleep with me and all get our rest,then me keep checking on the all night.
When the got older they decided it was time for their own bed and some privacy

2 Likes

Another stranger gave me this advice that I’ll give to you that Worked for me and HOPEFULLY it works for you too. Slap a tshirt that you already wore over a pillow and put it besides baby in his crib.
Doesn’t have to be a huge ass pillow I used a weird cylinder shaped one that could easily be rolled off baby if they brought it closer to them when they slept.

You could try sleeping with his crib sheets to help get your smell in them. Worked for us when we had issues. Or if I wasn’t there for naps he used a blanket I keep in my bed.

Following! My 1 yo has done the same. We had the same routine and everything, but one night he just screamed HYSTERICALLY when we put him in his cot. we’ve got him to sleep in his bed maybe 4 times since that night.

1 Like

Others wont agree but I would put his bed in my room . They grow up so fast and leave too soon.

5 Likes

I cut a piece of mattress foam top and put it on top of my sons crib mattress and he started sleeping through the night when he was around that age!!

Try putting a shirt of yours or a pillow you sleep with often so he can smell you.

It will be tough as nails. I breastfed my youngest so he was constantly in the bed with me. When I finally stopped he was just a couple months older than your child. It was very hard transitioning him to his own bed. There were nights I used a warm bath, lavender lotion or laying down in his room holding his hand. Rocking him to sleep was the worst because he wouldn’t let go even being asleep. There were nights I had to get him to sleep and lay him back in his bed a few times through out the night. I even tried letting him cry it out at the time though he was close to 2 yrs old. But for your baby that might be alittle to soon because it sounds like he needs your comfort right now. To this day my youngest just turned 4 and thankfully he sleeps in his bed now but will still crawl his way into my bed quietly. It doesn’t stop but see if those things work for you. I wish you the best and I believe all mothers would agree it’s tough. Eventually it will change just hold on.

2 Likes

I’m no help
My baby is a co sleeper
Always has been close to me in bed

1 Like

Put a shirt in there next to him so he can smell you constantly and change out the shirt daily

Try sleeping in the same room with him in his room. Like on a blow up or pull out.

When my daughter did something like this, we moved a pack in play into the bedroom and id put her to bed in her bed. If she woke during the night id bring her intp our room and put her in the pack and play with her blankie and what not and she would gp right back to sleep. At this age they start to have little night terrors. So them waking up to see or know your close by soothes them. Then when you feel he is ready induce him back to the crib or making him feel more comfortable with it.

There is difference in letting them cry it out and it being harmful. You never let them go long periods screaming and crying. You go in and comfort often but you have to stick to it. 1 minute, then 2 then add on or do less. It’s all on your babies time. It’s exhausting but how many moms are so overwhelmed by crying that they hurt their babies or themselves? It’s ok to cry. We cry and no one comforts us every second we cry.

2 Likes

My 3 year old would always check to see if I was there. He just doesn’t like to sleep alone, so he sleeps through the night in my bed. It’s so much easier this way.

2 Likes

Teething sucks last till they get two yr old molars… have you tried to put your shirt down for your smell… special if breast feeding… and maybe a warm bottle/ cup of milk before bed. And bath with lavender… wishing you the best…

Sleep with his blankets a few nights so they smell like you or even while holding one of his stuffed animals.

Let him sleep with you?

3 Likes

Try putting a clock in the crib. The ticking is like a heart beat. Also put something in there that smells like you. Like a t shirt or something. Its like they think ur still there. 3 of my babies were like that and this all worked for me

2 Likes

I would like to refer everyone in this group to Safe Sleep and Baby Care – Evidence Based Support … it’s a great group with evidence based support . Have a look and I’m certain you will lots of new information.

My daughter who is now 16 months old since she was born we co slept. She’s still in my room as that’s how she sleeps a lot better. But she would not sleep in a crib. She hated the crib so she’s in a toddler bed that was her crib and we put a toddler rail on it to make it into a crib to make it a lot safer for her. I found out she would sleep all night in it this way then her waking up 5 to 6x a night

1 Like

We used the CIO method for both of our babies, my daughter used to self sooth like a dream, after my son was born she started getting up a lot more and putting her to bed was a nightmare…I would put her to bed and I would sit at the top of the steps and when she would come out I would pick her up, give her hugs and kisses and put her back in her bed. Same with my son. When they got older they would come into my room from time to time for a cuddle and I’d pull them into bed with me but then they had to go back to their own beds. It sounds harsh but sleep is important for everyone, including your baby!

2 Likes

It can definitely last more than a few weeks. Just stay consistent with the routine

We took the side of the crib and put it up against our bed. Slowly moved her over into her crib then put the side back up. Kept it up for a while then moved it a few feet from our bed. Once we finish redoing our sons room she’ll be moving in there with him. Best of luck

I’m definitely no help my son co slept with me till he was 3. He still comes to get in my bed every once in awhile now. He will be 6 next month. I just wanted to say you got this!

All 3 of my kids co slept with me. They are all over 30 now. I treasure that time.

1 Like

You need to sleep and he needs to sleep why can’t he sleep with you? He’ll grow out if it after all it’s just been a few weeks since baby was sick.

3 Likes

3 months is only 12 weeks. It has always taken my kids a little longer to sleep through the night. They stillxneed to feed and still too young to let cry it out in my eyes. I’d talk to the dr and see how they feel about this but I recommend giving the baby more time.

Our 4 four month old daughter does the exact same thing since we let her sleep in our bed. Following this post for tips !! :partying_face:

1 Like

If he will sleep in your bed, let him sleep in your bed, I gave up in the end because if it meant we both got sleep, who cares what bed they are in :slight_smile: and my 2 year old sleeps so much better with me, he will go in his bed when he’s ready, they aren’t little for long so chin up and do what makes it easy! I would rather that then make them scared and cry for me by sleep training them :frowning:
Xx

It’s ridiculously expensive at $1,500 new, but just read an article on the Snoo, a smart bassinet that uses AI to rock and make womb noises while also being a digital tracker. Exhausted parents sing it’s praises. You can find used ones or rent one for less. SNOO | Smart Baby Sleeper and Bassinet – Happiest Baby

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get baby to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

My son was 9 before he slept through
My husband would get In bed beside him to get him back off and he’d come in to me and tell me he’d got daddy to sleep lol
He just loved company
He’s ok now but he is 35 and doesn’t live with us now lol :joy:

7 Likes

Im no help.
I kept my kids in the crib in my room for a long time.
It seems odd that we are the only mammals who let their young sleep defensless

23 Likes

A wise old pediatrician told me this and it worked for my 4 children. If they get up and there is nothing wrong tell them it is tome for bed do not take them out of the crib. Sit in the dark room with a book and pretend you are reading and when the fuss tell them it is time to sleep. This way they know you hear them put they will eventually go to sleep. You might have to do this a few mights but they will get the message

19 Likes

Seriously all joking aside. We had to put a toddler bed right beside our bed and moved our bed so there was no room for him to fall out on either side. The only way for him to get out was by the foot of his bed which he never did. We would put him in bed ad he would stay put.

5 Likes

Yea. Do you have a bed in his room that you can lay on while he’s in the crib? Try that. At least you can fall asleep at some point yourself. As a Gma now I see where I missed out on a lot of sleep by not going to bed in my kids room when needed. Pretty soon you will be able to stay until he is asleep and he will continue sleeping after you leave.

5 Likes

Good luck. My son’s 26 and he still doesn’t sleep through the night.

39 Likes

just let him sleep with you until he gets a little older…no harm done…just get some rest😄

9 Likes

There is no right answer and everyone has an opinion. If your getting up early in the morning you need to let him cry it out. It takes about three nights. It’s hard but well worth it. I’m sure your pediatrician would tell you the same thing. Good luck.

18 Likes

First…Breathe. :slight_smile: Teething babies are miserable. They hurt and want to be comforted, that is where you come in. This to will pass. In the meantime, if you have a friend or parent who can give you some respite until he gets through this phase, that might help with your sleep deprivation. I would probably never let him sleep in your bed again, since he seems to have loved that. Always go to him. Maybe have a cold chewie ready for him.

Put him in the crib awake let him learn how to fall asleep will take 3-4 nights if crying then life is better

5 Likes

My daughter & son-in-law did this & thher son slept in her bed until he was ~7yo. Big problems. Find an answer now, good tips here.

2 Likes

There is nothing to be done but go through the “baby crying in their crib” routine that every mother dreads. It takes about three nights. Go to YouTube and enter “Supernanny putting baby to bed”in the search engine.

21 Likes

I had to let my son cry. It was awful. It got better after a couple nights.

3 Likes

I co slept with my first daughter and she was so hard to transition into her own bed. My second daughter slept in a bassinet/crib only for the first couple years of her life (living situation with my hubby in nursing school). When we moved into our home, putting her to bed in her own room was so easy I couldn’t believe it. Maybe try the crib in your room, so he feels your near, and transition back to his room for naps

1 Like

Hey maybe your baby feels he is alone when he sleeps… you see right… i dont know how you will take this but it works… your blouse that you wear during the day, give it to him when he goes to sleep, so he feels he is closer to you and that he isnt alone. Try it! It works! Just tell me what happens.:blush:

9 Likes