How to get mattes out of hair?

I have really think wavy hair and I love my Wet brush. It really helps with the knots for me. I also brush my hair before I wash it, which I have found most people dont. But it helps me. Also my fiance takes a leave in conditioner and a Anti Humidity Smoothing Milk mixes the 2 in a spray bottle with warm water. Makes our own detangling spray!!

Edit- he only mixes a little bit of each bottle in the spray bottle. Puts warm water in it and mixes it up. Yes you will have to shake it up each time but it works for our family!! And lasts a lot longer!!

Use a lot of condition and let it sit. After it’s rinsed, add some leave in conditioner and brush through with a wet brush.

Put mayo in her hair and then a grocery bag. Let sit for atleast 30 minutes. It will make the hair softer and also shinier.

1 Like

WD40… sounds weird but it works. It’s also what they use in salons for mats.

Shea moisture kids detangler. My daughter’s hair gets like that fast and that is the only way I can get a brush through it!

Paul Mitchell is a good brand. But honestly I’d take her to a salon where a professional can help her and give her tips on hair care. If that’s not an option. Hask argan oil repairing deep conditioner on and use it while combing out her hair.

Rinse her hair with leave in conditioner and gently run comb through

1 Like

Lots and I mean lots of conditioner do it while it’s wet start from the bottom with a wet brush

My daughter has very long thick curly hair and after a day of playing her hair is a matted mess. We put a ton of conditioner in her hair in the shower and I brush it while she’s in the shower with the conditioner in and than rinse it out and brush again after she’s dressed we use Aussie shampoo and conditioner and it has worked miracles in my girls hair

Add some oil or conditioner while wet…I started to use a blow dryer more after showering an nicely brush from the tip to roots… sometime I just use my finger tips with the blow dryer an it takes all the knots out!! An I have very straight tangled hair when wet it’s normal so annoying to get it all brushed!!

Wash it, put conditioner and keep it braided daily and when going to sleep.

use stuff for curly hair and it will help

Alot of conditioner brush while in hair. Or hair dressers

I have naturally thick curly hair. Best to use a thick comb with conditioner in her hair and I have found a leave in conditioner with Shea butter works best in my hair.

Brush conditioner in …and cut out knots that dont come out sometimes that works it usually doesn’t have to be cut.

Wd40 will help more than any hair product on mats

2 Likes

Brush out as much as you can while the conditioner is on, then spray in detangler to brush after rinsed

Amazon “Cowboy Magic”!! We use it on my daughters crazy curls that quickly turn into baby dread locks. It’s amazing.

Wash her hair and put conditioner in it. Comb from ends first and work your way up. A wet brush would be great for her.

3 Likes

Wide tooth comb, start at the ends. LOTS of conditioner

Coconut oil and a fine tooth comb, start at the tip end and use the point of the comb to inline cross sections. Iv brushed a full head of dreadlocks out, it can be done! Or take her to a hairdresser

2 Likes

I have very curly hair, use products for smoothing hair not so much curly it will take the frizz.

Coconut oil and patience. Conditioner, lots of conditioner, every day. Wide tooth comb, but a detangling brush.

1 Like

Horse main and tail detangler works super well for that

1 Like

The Elvive Dream Lengths super detangler shampoo and conditioner work extremely well. Use that. Saturate the hair with the conditioner and comb her hair, starting at the bottom of the matted hair and work your way up in small sections. Use a good detangler brush. It may take several sessions but i believe it will help.

1 Like

Use a wide tooth comb or even a pick. Start at the bottom of the knotted area. Hold it firmly to minimize pulling it. Once you get through the worst of it, use a brush. But always start at the ends and work your way up the length of her hair.
Actually you should be doing that for yourself, too. Minimizes breakage.

Coconut oil with a wide tooth comb. Also have scissors handy to cut the really bad knots.

And those products will definitely help with tangles once you take care of the matting!

Soak it in conditioner for about 30 minutes or so try to brush as gently as possible starting with the ends first with the conditioner still in. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed. Once you finish clarify and deep condition

1 Like

This. You can get it at Walgreens or target. Maybe cvs. My daughter has the same type of hair. And it was the only thing that would work. I would condition her hair. Try and comb it through. Rinse it. Then shampoo it. Rinse and condition once more. Rinse. Then towel dry her hair. And spray this in her hair all over and comb it. Brush with a wet brush and the matted and knots I would spray that small section and comb out. She still uses it herself and is now a teenager.

1 Like

I use a wet dry brush when mine mattes. I keep it wet. And brush a little at a time. Holding above where i will brush so i dont pull at my scalp

Sally’s sells a detangler brush that works great. Also use a leave in spray conditioner on towel dried hair

I know I’m probably gonna get hate for this but wd-40

This is the best stuff ever ever ever . I got it at Costco but its hit and miss but you can look it up other places do carry it .

1 Like

WD40 !! I actually just saw a tiktok about this and apparently that’s what they use in salons !!

1 Like

Take her to a salon and have them help. Give her a spa day.

2 Likes

Honestly, I had to deal with this exact same issue. It was horrible. I sat her down and it took 2-3 days of patience and one strand at a time to pull out of the mats. I used conditioner, coconut oil, and a comb. It was that or shave it :confused:

Buy a WET BRUSH it’s a life saver along with lots of condition from middle down her hair never put it to close to the scalp/roots . And even a little bit of hair oil rubbed in your hands and thru her wet hair

3 Likes

Shea moisture kids detangler

Brush a little at a time from the bottom up.

I use a mixture of conditioner and warm water on my daughter’s hair and a oval head brush

Lots an lots of cream rinse lots an lots

If you use conditions and comb while it’s coated her hair, the comb will slid through the hair.

2 Likes

God love her! I had a patient once who had lonnnng hair and it was in a big tangled ball, i sprayed it with detangler and used a comb and just started working gently on it a few strands at a time. My daughter also has very think and curly fry hair. When she gets out of the shower we put leave in conditioner in and comb thru it. We use suave professionals. And she recently found a spray of leave in conditioner and it works well too. Before we discovered it it was bloody murder getting thru her hair now it’s 100% better.

Get it wet and put conditioner in it. Brush it out with a wet brush in the shower

1 Like

Coconut oil. Cost 99 cents and works wonders when your hair is already wet

Detangler and a rattail comb. Start from the bottom and work up.

2 Likes

This stuff is the shit!!!

Cowboy magic! I get it from tractor supply! My daughter likes to Waller her head from side to side and scoot it in the seat and just whatever the hell she can do to tangle it, and that’s what I use. I get the shampoo and conditioner, brush it out while conditioner is in it, after it’s sat for a good 10 mins. Rinse, then use the leave in on the end half.

Try olive oil and let it sit for a few

1 Like

When trying to detangle hair, always start at the ends, meaning try to brush out or comb out ends first and gradually work your way up the hair shaft.

2 Likes

Try this brand there fairy locks spray is amazing!! And smells so so good :heart_eyes: or you could put coconut oil through her hair rubbing HEAPS into the Mattes leave it sit. Comb the hair in sections holding the top of the hair and brushing from the bottom

Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner…then use a detangling Wet Brush

I would condition her hair and use super skinny serum by Paul Mitchell… it makes the hair very slippery so it can dry faster and leaves it very silky. Amazing to use in girls hair to detangle and to stop it from tangling again :slightly_smiling_face: my aunt used it on her daughter all the time, super thick right curls!

I use biolage shampoo and conditioner and then Garnier leave in conditioner and miracle 10 spray, I also have very thick matted hair

Detangler. My daughter has thick curly hair, but she never lets me brush it, unless I’m putting it up lol

It makes me so Mad that whoever she was living with before let Her hair get like that to begin with. People are absolutely terrible. Wash her hair and while it’s still wet and warm slather Pure unrefined coconut oil In it. It melts as you work it through the hair and then it makes brushing easier. Little by little hopefully you’ll be able to get enough detangled so you don’t have to cut too much of her poor hair. You’ll probably have to end up cutting some but the coconut oil will help a ton.

My hair can get matted if I don’t brush it everyday.i wet my hair and wring out the extra water, add conditioner, hair oil masks, or something like biosilk and use a wide tooth comb working from the bottom up in small sections. You can do this mama. Run her a nice bath and just do it in the tub. It doesn’t hurt much if you hold her hair firmly as you comb it. Help keep the roots from being tugged on.

2 Likes

horse mane n tail, for horses but works wonders on human hair !!

2 Likes

So cozy kids Detangler

1 Like

Leave in conditioner. You can take her to a salon. But honestly I its bad enough it may have to be cut.

1 Like

I have curly hair that mats easily and have had several foster kids with similar issues. Go get a jar/ bottle of natural hair leave in conditioner for black hair (it is too greasy to use on Caucasian hair regularly but works wonders for your situation. wet the hair and drown it in the conditioner. Leave sit for as long as possible- use a shower cap if possible, will lock in moisture and keep her from getting it on any furniture. Rinse it out and then use regular conditioner- I like the stuff in the big purple bottles. Leave the conditioner in while you brush through. Use different brushes! Start with a wide tooth comb and work your way to normal combs. Do small sections and comb from the bottom. If her hair is severely matted, you may have to do this several times. If that’s the case, keep her hair pulled back or braided in between you working on it so the mats you leave don’t tangle in hair you already got loose. Good luck! And prayers for the kiddo!

Start at the bottom and gradually work your way up. Maybe some kind of conditioner too. Good luck!

1 Like

Coconut oil. Leave it sit for hours the wash it out with loads of conditioner!

Always brush from the ends of the hair to the roots
Like still brushing downwards but start at the bottom and go down and continue with no knots then go a bit higher and continue until complete
But do it with conditioner in her hair
Like a lot of really good conditioner
And have hot or rally warm water to help brush it out
I used to get really matted up hair too just from sleeping
I eventually got to where I just cut it off every time it happened because I hated it so much

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum! How to get mattes out of hair?

I would say mayonnaise leave it sit about an 1hr comb through with it still in hair…

I use the wet brush from wet and wild and a good condition before starting

I would do it in the shower under warm water and a lot of conditioner then wide tooth comb and start on the bottom and work ur way up to the root once u cleared that section braid it and do the next

3 Likes

Try a wet brush with this spray called it’s a ten ! Works miracles on my extremely thick hair

Lots of water and leave in conditioner. Work slowly.

Warm coconut oil soak. Rinse out with water. Comb through

They also have a detangler brush with really small brissles that I use for mine

Saturate with conditioner and brush while it is still there with a wet brush. Then rinse.

2 Likes

Suggest she cut it…
But lotsa conditioner should help…

Towel dry hair, loads of conditioner. Try sectioning as best you can. Hold hair tight in hands and with a comb start at the bottom working your way up.

This spray is amazing! Also, after washing hair, put extra extra conditioner on, use a wet brush to comb thru it, and then while rinsing out keep brushing thru.

While rinsing her hair with conditioner, run your fingers through while rinsing. It will hall get some of the tangles out

A steel tail comb. On dry hair. Our hair is more vulnerable when wet. Start at the bottom and slowly work you way up.

1 Like

Aussie detangler too!!!

Take her to a salon.

Condition I owe and water in a spray bottle and a wet brush

I saw a video from a hair stylist who uses WD-40 says it causes less damage and breakage to the hair when detangling.

Soak in a thick,leave in deep conditioner for a while, an hour or 2. DONT RINSE YET, Use a wide tooth comb at first, work your way from the bottom of the hair to the root in small sections. Leaving the conditioner in will help comb it out. After the wide tooth comb, use a smaller comb and then you can rinse it out and keep combing. It’s definitely a lot of work and it make take more than one sitting but it’s doable.

4 Likes

A wet brush amd aussie 3 minute conditioner. Wash it and condition. Then when shes out mix some of the conditioner with water and spot treat all the tangles.

Braids when she sleeps.

As a hairdresser I recommend using a comb and small sections. Start from the bottom and work your way up to the scalp. I find it easiest on wet hair and feel free to put conditioner in and don’t rinse it out. It may help loosen things as you begin combing.

2 Likes

I know this sounds weird but my hairstylists said wd40

2 Likes

Leave in conditioner and a wet brush or a wide tooth comb

1 Like

Have her wash her hair (or assist her if needed) , and once getting to conditioning her hair. Let that sit in her hair and work on brushing from the bottom and work your way up.

Wd40 and a lot of patience

1 Like

work cornstarch into DRY matted hair. Work it into the mats with your fingers. After all the mats are gone brush well then wash, rinse and condition.

Conditioner, and coconut oil in a spray bottle. Wide tooth comb from ends to scalp

I mix conditioner with water and spray it on heavy. Start combing/brushing from the bottom, then work your way up. Braid her hair before bed and no knots in the morning. My little girl has super fine curly hair and we had many lessons to learn over the years on how to keep it tangle free

Detangler brush, Detangler spray as well as conditioner and wet the knots then comb out in very small sections

I found argen oil works really well on matted hair. Put a little into the palm of your hand and work it into the matted area then brush or comb it out gently :slight_smile: good luck

Try combing it out in the bath, with a LOT of conditioner and a wide-toothed comb. Pry the worst of it apart gently, working from the outside first, before combing from ends then working up.

1 Like

I personally have thick tight curls and it is now getting longer then I have ever let it grow. I have found that even letting my hair stay up over night causes major tangle issues. What I use for product to fix this is the Aussie shampoo and conditioner. But when I condition I will put it back up in a bun and really let that conditioner sit and soak in. Probably a good 10 to 15 mins. Then while the conditioner it’s self is still in I take my brush and slowly work those tangles out. Then rinse. Curly hair is supposed to be dried and scrunched with a tee shirt as using a regular towel will cause more tangles. The Aussie leave in conditioner also works wonders too.

1 Like

My girl is 5 and has tight kinky curls so it’s always an issue with knots. This is what I use. Once she gets out tub I put some in her hair and start on small sections from bottom up

Pour lots of conditioner in a tub of lukewarm water and have her soak her hair in it while you comb through it with a wide tooth comb and/or a detangling brush

1 Like