How to get mattes out of hair?

Also start with a wide tooth comb

1 Like

I had that problem wit my granddaughter. I washed it and used lots is conditioner. Left in for awhile before rinsing out. Took a bit but I got them combed out.

1 Like

I do not mean this in a rude way. So please be nice. Is it because she won’t let you do it? Or is it hard to get out. If she won’t let you do it, people touching her hair could be a trigger for her since she’s a Foster.

1 Like

My kids hair got really bad one time and I just let it soak in conditioner and then I just untied it with my fingers like when you’re doing fishing line

I would ask a hair stylist and maybe even a pediatrician. Also freida baby sells a brush made for tangles for curly hair on Amazon for 10$

Dread detangler and an afro pick

The conditioner they sell with hair dye works wonders!

Wash and condition her hair. Towel dry them generously apply REDKIN FRIZZ DISMISS rebel tame leave in smoothing control cream. Works every time. Comb out from bottom up.

All of the above but make sure you are set up where she can watch a movie or something. It will take a WHILE.

Wet dry brushes are amazing. Changed my life. Conditioner and it’s a 10. Works great. Coconut oil at night helps.

3 Likes

Buy a wet brush. I love my wet brush. Cant use any other. Takes some time but wet hair and them add detangler… After much conditioning in the shower too of course…just do sections until you’re down to the worst parts and just keep going over and over it. (Wet brush can be from walmart, target, or dollargeneral)

My daughter’s hair gets bad when she spends a week at my dads… He lets her “brush it” and it’s just a mess when she comes home. I have her take a shower and brush thru it while she has conditioner in it.

1 Like

After washing your hair. Soak hair in a thick conditioner for 5 mins. Then comb with a wide tooth comb starting & the ends work your way up. On one side then the other & so on then rinse conditioner out thoroughly…

2 Likes

Coconut oil - leave it on for at least two hours and then wash off with shampoo. Apply conditioner and leave for 20 minutes then remove the knots from her hair in the shower. Rinse and repeat if you need.

1 Like

Shampoo and condition then condition again but detangle comb while hair it wet and has conditioner in it

Damp hair, apply conditioner (alot) and warm coconut oil, use a detangling brush start from the bottom up. Use small pieces.

My hair 100%…
“It’s a 10” leave in conditioner, always comb from the bottom up, and I always put it in a side braid for bed (like the hunger games girl😁)

1 Like

Use a leave in conditioner and brush the hair wet. I did it for years with my child; thick, curly, caucasian hair.

1 Like

Start at the ends and work your way up.

My daughters hair gets like that after she comes back from her dads. This is the only thing that works for her. Start from the very bottom and work through it slowly. It will pull a bit but it’s this or we cut it.

White vinegar. I swear it’ll take everything out. Conditioner and stuff just build up and sometimes they can make it worse. Work the vinegar in and it’ll start detangling with way less work❤️

8 Likes

I have a LOT of thick, wavy hair that gets easily tangled. I have a wide tooth comb in the shower and use it when I still have conditioner in it. Best advice is to wash her hair then put conditioner in it and let it sit for a few minutes, start at the bottom and comb it out making sure you place your free hand above the pieces you are combing so it doesn’t pull too much. Good luck😊

17 Likes

Use a detangling comb and wet her hair and a lot of conditioner… mane and tail is good…. Let it sit on her for a little bit and then start coming from the bottom to the top while the conditioner is still in her hair

5 Likes

My granddaughter has very curly hair. We quit using cheap shampoos which often left residue. Her mom bought Innersense products. They are great. Shampoo—but not everyday as it dries out the hair too much. Conditioner applied after hair is wet and left in. It is much easier to comb when wet and conditioned.

Mix conditioner in a spray bottle and mist her hair as you brush.

1 Like

MOST Important thing! Start at the bottom and work your way up. Otherwise you are just pulling the tangles into tangles

5 Likes

Buy a Wet Brush (it’s a brand) and use a thick conditioner, brush in small sections when hair is wet. Then rinse and comb again.

5 Likes

I’m a mom with a daughter that gets horrible tangles. She also has a sensitive head. I take a standard brush and lightly skim over the top layer using the edge of brush. I keep doing this until all tangles are gone. It takes a bit longer but I get no complaints about it hurting and it gets the job done

1 Like

Wet brush … it’s a brand
Extra conditioner and let it sit then take the wet brush too it - both my girls have very thick wavy/curly hair that gets tangled ALOT and this brush has been a miracle worker

8 Likes

I’ve had great success with using a metal dog comb and conditioner for serious tangles (including releasing dreadlocks)

Cowboy Magic at a tack store! It works great for getting matts out of manes & tails

3 Likes

Pomifera radiant Hair Oil Description:
Our remarkably lightweight formula leaves hair feeling softer, smoother, and more manageable. Helps to smooth frizz and tame fly-aways while fortifying hair with strengthening Pomifera Oil. This hair oil adds shine, renews each strand from root to tip and protects hair from environmental factors like humidity as well as heat damage – all without leaving hair feeling heavy. Available in 2oz and 4oz bottles.

For use as a renewing pre-cleanse: apply liberally to ends of brushed hair and rinse before shampooing to remove impurities. For use as a pre-blow dry: apply to towel-dried hair and blow dry as normal for nourishment and heat protection. For use before air-drying: distribute desired amount throughout lengths and ends of towel-dried hair. Style as desired. For use as a finishing agent: work into the ends of hair to control frizz, add gloss, smooth and style. For use as a touch-up: apply a drop to ends throughout the day for a touch of shine as needed

Do an in home spa day. I found when my hair was uncontrollable… I could fix it in the bath with the waters help. You can do herbal baths or bubble bath for the spa. If you are doing the herbal route… Bay helps pain, rosemary provides cleansing energy, chamomile and lavender to calm and mints to breathe easy. Boil 30 mins to an hour. It will smell heavenly. Add it to a bath cooling it to her hottest tolerated temp. Good for the whole body… But not to drink this concentrated lol

Deep conditioner after washing. Leave in hair over hour with bag to cover hair. Products for people of color should help. Might have to try several before getting what works.

Tangle teezers are great. I have thick hair and I swear by them. My hair tends to mat underneath and it gently coaxes them out. Xx

1 Like

Spray haor oil on the matted hair and it will skide the knota out. I have thick and long hair. Im in my 50s and always had long hair.

You are going to think I’m crazy but tractor supply has something called cowboy magic it’s for horses but works miracles for both human and horse hair you’ll have to wash it a couple of times after but it’s worth it it saves more hair from breaking and pulling than anything else I’ve used. A little goes a long way put it on work it with your fingers then with a wide tooth comb start combing from the bottom.

I don’t have any advice but if I was in your shoes, I would cut her hair. I wouldn’t have the patience to sit and comb them out.

10 Likes

Cowboy magic it works wonders on matted hair

I have thick wavy curly hair when mine gets knotted which it does regularly. I doubt it in conditioner and just brush through it starting from the bottom of my hair and by a lot of conditioner I mean probably half a bottle and a fat brush with the plastic or metal type bristles not the soft bristle brushes. Leave the conditioner in as you brush out the matt’s and Knott’s and do small sections. I do this in the shower. Mane n tail like you use for horses has a detangler that also works wonders and their brand conditioner is really good too.

Paul Mitchell detangle spray is amazing. My daughter has thick wavy hair and oh man it gets tangled very easily. I found this spray through a salon we go to. It’s amazing

I tried to comb detangler through my hair before I even get out of the shower and I don’t use a comb or a brush actually I use a pic

I’m not sure if it will work for her hair. But I use something called 7 second detangler for my daughter. It works great. I think the brand is unite. It’s a little spendy, but to me it was so worth it

Brush it while her hair is wet! Also helpful if its wet and full of conditioner like in the shower or bath

6 Likes

I’m a hairdresser and I did hair at a long term care facility and I would run into this with residents who were in bed a lot. The best thing to do is use a good hair oil and conditioner with a rat tail comb and use the end of it and start at the bottom of each mat and work your way up to the scalp. Do not wet it bc it will tighten the mat as it dries.

1 Like

By some the perfect
10 leave in conditioner. Its pricey but worth it…
Walgreens carries

1 Like

Massage leave in conditioner/ detangler with your finger tips, get as much spread out as you can with your fingers, then use a small comb to pick thrift the Knot

How does the young lady say about cutting her hair? I have migraines and I can’t comb my hair at times. I usually cut my hair short so I don’t have to deal with the pain.IMO.

I felt with this as I had long hair…I’d wash hàir add plenty of conditioner let in few minutes took comb carefully combing hair than rinsed hair and proceeded to comb hair one section at a time. Than each night comb as well

They sell detangler. In the shampoo or child isle at most stores.

1 Like

Just for Me detangler. Wet brush. And a good leave-in conditioner. We use Hask.

when she’s in the bath tub after washing her hair out a gob of conditioner. take and pull apart what pieces of hair you can and use the brush while her hairs wet with tons of conditioner. my daughter has curly hair, i go thru this every night almost with her hair getting tangled really bad from the curls.

I legit didn’t read anyone’s comments so I have no idea if someone’s already said it… but fabric softener works wonders!!

1 Like

I use this lightly on the hair, a comb, mostly just my fingers pulling the mattes apart. Time and patience.
One N' Only Travel Size Argan Oil Treatment 3.4oz | Treatments | Sally Beauty

Wash and put a heavy conditioner on your hair. work at combing with a large toothed comb. very slowly and carefully, Then rinse. Some peoplre do this everytime they wash there hair.

I used coconut oil and it worked great. Also conditioner

Condition her hair first! Then wash,then Condition her hair again but leave it in for a good 5 minutes. And get a detangling brush!

After getting it strangled. Only brush with a wet brush when wet. Don’t try to brush out when dry. It will frizz and be like an afro.

Wet brush works wonders the girl at a salon used it on mine.

Get detangler spray, my hair gets badly matted and that has really helped.

Go to Dollar General in the kids hair and get a spray bottle of Tangle Free. Comes right out wet/dry hair

Use a dog grooming brush and start at the bottom and work your way up! I had to do this after my daughter had been gone for a week! It works!

I get matted hair and I have used a blimmin fork as seems not too hurt as much. And try straighten it at the ends as the worst part is back of head in middle that is the hardest also may try coconut oil to help :grinning:

Definitely recommend a Wet brush and also aussie 3 min miracle deep conditioner leave it in for 3 mins rinse it out and then I use the hair oil too and brush bottom to top.

Put a lot of conditioner on it, put a shower cap on let it set over night then use a large tooth comb, it will come out.

Olaplex and Detangling brush. Section the hair off. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

Smother in conditioner or leave in spray conditioner x

Brush conditioner through it when you wash her hair. Use lots of leave in conditioner after and just slowly comb out one section at a time. It will be tedious. But basically you need to brush something oily/slick through it constantly. Start from the bottom and work your way up a section.

You might try looking up videos for combing out locs. It’s going to be the same idea.

Hair oil, a detangling comb & wash her hair with conditioner only 2-3 times before even starting

Wet brush & coconut oil (which is great for hair anyway)

No more tangles spray buy at Walmart first wash her hair use conditioner then spray no more tangles then comb

*Always start from the bottom of hair and go up, with whatever method you do.

A little at a time try unknotting with hand first

I use this on my hair …it takes every tangle out no matter how bad…even motorcycle hair. You may nee d to do multiple, but comes right out

Use no more tangles spray
Detangleing comb
Start from the bottom and work up to top of the head

1 Like

Leave conditioner in over night is easiest for me.

I use coconut oil and Shea butter in mine and it’s the only way I can comb it

Use detangler and get it wet wet then use a soft combed brush slowly and carefully bottom to top

Leave in conditioner spray that you spray in hair and do part by part with it while coming. Best of luck

Go to the local feed store and buy Cowboy Magic

1 Like

Wd 40 is what a lot of salons use if its too bad

1 Like

Pomifera Hair oil - Love it - I use it on my hair daily it is wonderful

https://shop.pomifera.com/#/shop/from/931173?ReferringCustomerDID=932321

Start at the bottom and work up to prevent breakage.
Conditioner with water in a spray bottle.

Wide tooth comb wet hair

Detangler spray it works wonders

Detangler spray and tangle teaser

I saw where someone swears by WD40 :woman_shrugging:t2:

Conditioner, detangling brush and detangling spray. Brush from the ends up

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Use lots of detangler spray or conditioner. Go slowly. Braid the hair that you have finished working through. Or, there is always the option of cutting it short and letting it grow out again. I have thick, wavy hair so I know the pain . . .

2 Likes

Coconut oil I use that on my curly little redhead grandson works amazing

Coconut Oil and a wet brush

WET brand brush and Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal, a little pricey but it goes a long way.

You can also make your own detangler by adding water and hair conditioner in a safe spray bottle. Also!!! This stuff is amazing. And it smells SO good.

1 Like

My hair tangles and is frizzy. I use this regularly to manage the tangles and frizzy. It works great! I also use the deep conditioning mask by the same brand when my hair is extra bad.

In the shower let her put conditioner in her hair and use a Detangler brush…

A wet brush from Sally’s and this

A few bottles of detangler and a lot of patience. Then snip off all her split ends. That’s what causes the matting.

No more tangles hair stuff. It works.

Let conditioner sit in her hair for 40 mins. Rinse and use detangler and a comb… Do not use a brush her hair will break

Bio Silk oil! It’s kind of expensive but a little goes a long way. I’ve found it at TJ Maxx and Amazon has it. It works wonders!