How to get rid of lice?

Cover your heads in mayo it will smother them old trick from my grandmother. Then clean your linens and home

No matter how much you destroy them in your hair if you don’t sanitize your combs, brushes hats etc (boiling water) and your sheets and pillows you will keep transferring them back to you.

Vaseline and grocery bags along with straight tea tree oil!

Sulfur soap and put a shower cap let it sit for about half hour and rinse it. Comb with a lice comb and apple cider vinegar same thing let sit for 30 min and comb it out. They hate those two things and it kills the eggs. My girl has thick hair and they loved it sadly for her. She has not got them since

The only thing that got rid of my head lice when I was young was hair dye.

There’s a head lice shop in Pasadena that treats people with lice.

Start by putting lice treatment on and leave over night with hair in a ponytail and in a shower cap. Then, use a straighter for hair to girls hair. It kills eggs but they still will stay on hair but will be dead. In 3 days repeat the process. In 3 more days repeat. You can put conditioner on hair and use lice comb to comb them out. You can see the eggs in the conditioner. Dry bedding every day on high in dryer. Use a bed bug spray on mattress it kills lice too. You can use the spray on furniture too. Most are water base and won’t hurt furniture. It’s a consistent and constant battle I have dealt with many times.

1 Like

Aside from what everyone else has said, wash all the curtains in the house too

It’s concerning everyone jumps to medicated shampoo… Not once have I ever done this… The easiest way to effectively do it and the safest… Is to use an entire bottle of conditioner… Rub it through the hair and make sure you get all of it. Put one of those shower caps on… Have them wear it for like 30 min to am hour… Then rinse it out… Use a lice comb which will go through the conditioned hair so easily. It’s work but it’s work you’d have to do anyway except your not putting chemicals on your kids head. I mean what part of that sounds smart? Make sure you clean linens and stuffed animals. done…

Lots Peanut butter Suffocates them leave on for like an hour or more and then do a lice treatment after you wash

Get a metal tooth flea comb and vinegar soak the hair for at least an hour in the vinegar if the scalp has been scratched raw this will burn for a second or two but will kill the bugs dead and eggs too dissolve the egg glue and also super moisturize and remove any build up on the hair. Comb the hair with the flea Comb and thourally rinse.
Make sure ALL bedding is washed and dryer on the hottest setting and ANY/ALL common areas of the house where the kids will gather are vacuumed and cleaned well

What’s a good preventative for long girls hair? For school?

cetaphil cleanser, put it in the hair use a hair dryer to dry the hair, it will take a while, then cover head over night with shower cap. Next morning wash then use nit comb to get everything out, repeat process in a few days. It worked when my kids got it from school!

It’s a challenge for sure. The lice shampoo, picking out the eggs with a fine comb. Washing all bedding and run all pillows though the dryer. I had to buy a strong hand heals steamer for my sofa. It was 5 grand children. Took about 3 weeks to finally be lice free. It’s stressful and keep in mind the kids feel so awful and ashamed when they should not be. ( poor babies ) you’ll be ok.

Tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil in spray bottle with water spray hair works every time for us

Spray the car seats …we found that how they kept coming back at the daycare

1 Like

Combing every single day with a good knit comb and hot wash everything

You can get prescription stuff from your doctor but you must wash all bedding blankets n pillows stuffed animals and car seat. Or theyll just keep coming back.

Any kind of oil (olive, coconut, mayonnaise) will smother them, if you leave it on for at least an hour.
Comb. Comb. Comb. Comb. Do VERY small sections at a time, to be sure that every single strand of hair goes through the comb, all the way from scalp to tip.
Vacuum EVERYTHING. Carpets, furniture, bedding, curtains…if your vacuum doesn’t hurt it, give it a going over.
Wash bedding, pillowcases, stuffed animals. Leave the lid of the washer up so the load can soak awhile before you start it.
If you can’t afford the time or money to launder everything, HEAT will kill them. Yeah bags in the sun, blow dryer, or repeated dryer cycles.
Afterwards, change/wash bedding daily for a few weeks, and REPEAT the oil/comb treatment once a week, until you’ve gone twice without seeing anything.
Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo, it will help prevent reinfestation.
There’s no shame in GETTING lice, only in keeping them. Many people don’t want to put in the effort to eradicate them, and just end up with a new infestation.
Lice “killing” shampoos really don’t work well, because they have gained immunity to the poison

Baby oil and a shower cap. Put all bedding in the dryer, vaccuum everything and fine tooth comb the eggs out of the hair

Coconut oil lather it on let sit for a while then comb

1 Like

Mix olive oil and vinegar. Load your heads up. Get a lice comb and it also takes out the nits.

Tea tree conditioner is good as they don’t like it and then comb through with nit comb. Hope that helps

Go to your your child’s doctor tell him you need Indian fire its liquid medicine before on the children’s hair and whole family because I know I had to deal with a bunch of children I was babysitting and no one bothered to tell me about that so I had to treat all of those children plus I had to go home and treat their family so when I went to the children’s doctor and told him I’m spending like $200 over the counter for this medicine and nothing is working so he told me do you get medicine called Indian fire what is liquid medication and you need to let the doctor no how many children and adults they are so he will be able to prescribe the medication to the children’s doctor

Oil soak head for hours. Comb through and wash. Use lice comb in shower with conditioner every tub or shower.

Spray anything you can’t wash that has fabric or fuzz on it and put it in a plastic bag for 2 weeks, with lice spray. Wash and treat the dogs/cats too. Comb all the nits out of the long hair and shave those boys. Use olive or coconut oil in the long hair and just keep it braided for a couple of weeks. The olive oil breaks down the exoskeleton of the bug and helps the nits slide off. Keep them away from others for a few weeks, so they aren’t passing it with friends. Don’t forget to spray the car! Literally anything with fabric needs to be treated. Check daily for signs of bugs or eggs, and repeat before it gets bad.

I used tee tree oil. Put on hair and massage thru. Leave on a quite a few hrs. Wash out. Used a comb to remove. I did this and didn’t even need to be careful of washing everything. They never came back.

Once you get rid of them use tea tree oil in shampoo to keep them away

Use hair spray gels leave in conditioner they hate all these things they can’t thrive when you use these on a daily basis

put Mayonnaise in the hair alot make sure It’s saturated then put a plastic bag or shower cap on and let him sleep in it at night time then wash it out then use not comb it out .I works I did it to my Niece’s hair

Tea tree oil mix in shampoo and apply on hair…leave the foam for atleast 10-15 mins n wash off…kip doing this daily til all washes off.

Tea-tree oil mixed in with conditioner- leave in then use a nit comb and comb out.

Put mayo on your hair n put a shower cap on … rinse it after about 3 hours

Put tea tree oil drops in your shampoo & conditioners, i also make up a day hairspray water conditioner & tea tree oil and spray the kids hats & hair everyday. Wash all the bedding & clothes in hot wash cycles i again use tea tree oil in those cycles too. If the kids are old enough at the end of all the combing & shampooing i run the straighteners through as they kill the eggs which stops hatching. I dunno but those things have helped me. Im sorry your going through this its a huge hassle :blossom:

I’ve been told that simply hair dying your hair will kill lice without overly damaging your hair?

Gosh, I don’t envy you. Nit comb, otc lice preparation, everyone bathes on the same day, all the sheets and towels washed twice in hot water. Repeat as soon as allowed by lice cream.

Conditioner and comb the hair with a headlice comb it’s the only way I get rid of them out my daughter’s hair which is long section it and comb each little bit it does take hours but it works

Coconut oil let it sit in your hair over night pick through it. Get lice spray and spray your car down and couches, beds, chairs

But wash everything clothing, bed linens in hot water for 3 weeks, It works below. I had this only 1 time while teaching. It’s no fun, but after doing all of this. I went to my hairdresser and got a full permanent in my hair which killed the rest of the lice. I never told her that, but I could never trust children sitting in my lap during storytime. I had this 1 child sit in my lap during storytime. The teachers told me later she just recovered from Scarlet Fever! Yeah, I was told that after all of the kids went home with notes in their backpacks. I couldn’t be mad at her the child. No other child wanted to play with her. It was so mean, but during storytime, I thought it would be mean to push her away. She had a rough day at school already.

Honestly - Lice die on contact using coconut oil and tea tree oil OR olive oil and tea tree oil They cannot breathe

If you can treat the home with a bed bug bomb.

Coconut oil in the hair and leave it for as long as possible. It suffocates them, u will have to repeat every few days in case of eggs hatching.

Your home dryer is not good enough. Take your bedding to the laundry mat and use that dryer. It’s worth the trip. Hot hot hot

LiceMD it’s like $26 for 3-4oz bottles on Amazon it has almost all 5 star reviews and YES it WORKS and is also pesticide free!!!

Tea tree oil and the lice myster! Its all in the “pick.” Lice myster is the nit picking comb.

I used coconut oil mixed with tea tree oil soaked in my kids hair and after 20mins washed it out. None since touch wood

Mayo on hair plastic bag over it for at least 30 minutes while doing that wash all bedding put stuffies I’m a garbage bag vaccuum rugs use clorox spray on beds shampoo out hair using dawn dish soap thoroughly comb it

Olive oil with a cap. Lice shampoo. Lice comb. Vacuum everything over and over

Mayonnaise massage it in, keep on hair for about an hour than comb hair out with fine tooth comb & shampoo.

Make sure you wash all beding and clothes that have been worn dry on high heat also for the boys u can shave there heads and use lice shampoo girls nit comb there hair and use lice shampoo keep in for at least 15 min before washing out also you need to treat ur car

U have to keep treating it. I had to do it every 7 days for 4 weeks to get rid of it.

Put all pillows and blankets in thick black trash bags for 48 hours and tie it up and set out side it will suffocate the bugs and wash and dry right away… wash all hair with lices shampoo and the cover all hair in thick coat of mayo and wrap in a plastic grocery bag and tie it up for about 1.5 hours that should suffocate the bugs and eggs just make sure there no holes in the bag

They say put coke on your hair and let it dry then wash it out

Best way buy tetree oil put any shampoo in palm of hand and 5 drops of oil wash hair always works and is cheap

Use Baby oil and lice comb first then use the medication shampoo.

Coconut oil is what I used. I have 4 girls and all have long hair. Took a long time to comb everyone out but it also made their hair super soft. Treat again a week later. Throw everything in the wash using hot water.

The only time I had it my friends mom used a delousing comb and sprayed straight white vinegar in my hair soaked it and used the comb to get it all out

Coke or Blue Listerine mouthwash wet hair as normal . Wrap in clingflim for 20 minutes rinse out then shampoo and conditioner

Mayonnaise wrap in plastic bag and let set over night I know its gross but it really does work

It’s gross but mayo and a plastic shower cap. Wash with dawn to get mayo out

Saturate hair with mayonnaise and wrap in plastic. Wash all clothes and bedding in HOT water and dry in dryer. All stuffed toys, couch and bed pillows stuffed in plastic bags for two weeks. Spray all furniture and rugs ect with live spray.

Full fat mayo on the whole head with a plastic shopping bag or plastic wrap over it over night. Put washed & dried pillows in kitchen trash bags taped down, then put clean pillow cases & clean towels on top to sleep on. Wash everything you can, spray everything you can’t.
The mayo must be full fat as the fat will soak into the eggs shell & also smother the bugs. Make sure to use the treatment combs. The metal ones seems to be best.
Get some comb cleaning solution from your local Sally Beauty. Double the solution amount & mix with a bit of Dawn & super hot water. Remove all the hair from hair implements… Soak all combs, hairbands, & brushes for at least a day. hairballs, in the washing machine anything you can.
Dammit, now I’m itchy!
You may have to do this twice, but it’s the least chemical way, non-toxic way I know how. It works like a charm. I have long hair & 2 girls that have almost always had long hair. We had a lot of lice in our schools from my childhood through theirs.
Vacuum as much as you can, including mattresses & vehicles & furniture. Empty & clean out your vacuum each time.

1 Like

Try a tea tree oil based shampoo and conditioner and a bit comb. Then douse hair in straight tea tree oil and leave on hair.

Sometimes it takes 3 times of each time you put the mixture on someone. For it to work. Hot water all bedding. Then wrap it in black garbage bags.

I soak my head in brown vinegar and wrap it up which kills them, but you have to comb all the eggs out

Put a few small drops of tea tree oil into shampoo.

Mayonnaise covered with plastic bag for 4 hours then rinse use lice comb and wash all bedding and clothes and stuffed animals

It’s not just the heads and the hair it’s clothing stuffed animals betting car seats blankets pillows anything the human body touches actually You have to get the fabric spray that kills lice and throw all the stuffed animals away or put them in a garbage bag for weeks until the lice die and then wash them to get the eggs off

Pack everything you don’t need in plastic bags for a few days (lice will die bc of no food/eggs will hatch and die shortly bc of no food source). Wash and HEAT blankets, rugs, shower curtains, pillows, anything you can wash in a washer. Everything else, soak in a tub or bucket. Vacuum everything and dump contents in a plastic bag and toss immediately! If the boys can cut their hair,do it. Girls, shorter hair, easier to deal with the shampooing.

2 Likes

Wash your hair in dawn once a week. No lice

Prolly get shit for saying to use it on kids but…Over the counter hair dye…it kills the eggs and bugs.

Go to your doctor and have them treat it. There is prescription medication that really works.

Get a battery operated lice comb kills lice and the eggs. And doesn’t involve chemicals on the kids heads. And spray and wash bedding carpets stuffed animals etc in HOT water and HOT dryer.

Regular Listerine mouthwash. Leave in at least two hours. Repeat in two days. Of course, you still need to comb for nits, and wash everything, disinfect furniture.

Use a flat iron on the long hair. You can hear the eggs pop.

Olive oil / counut oil over night in hair wrapped up and wash out with apple cider vinegar the next day kills the eggs … and no chemicals

Use head lice treat ment . Brush it thru …
Flat iron hair the heat will kill the eggs

After several failed attempts at shampoos etc we went to on of the lice clinics. It was almost $500 for 3 of us so it’s pretty pricey but it’s guaranteed to work

Mayonnaise on dry hair then, put a plastic bag on their head, shampoo & then blow dry their hair.

Rubbing alcohol. Just comb through it dries the nuts out, saves lots of time leave on about 15 minutes then shampoo out.

It will take about a month. Get a couple of good metal lice combs (they sell them at any major pharmacy) and every couple days wash hair and use LOTS of conditioner. Lice don’t like slick hair. Comb through thoroughly with lice comb, then blow dry on high heat, then flat iron on the highest heat setting. You want not only to remove and kill the bugs; it’s absolutely imperative to kill the eggs and heat will kill them. You need to interrupt that egg laying and hatching cycle. Every couple days wash pillows, bedding, and anything that will go in the washer on the hottest water temperature possible. Chemically treat anything that can’t fit in the washer. Do this every couple days for four to six weeks. It’s a royal pain in the butt, but it will work.

Get this comb…it’s the ONLY thing that ever worked for my daughter - Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb, Professional Stainless Steel Louse and Nit Comb for Head Lice Treatment, Removes Nits. (Won’t let me just post the picture but, you can get it in stores or on Amazon by that name)

Tea tree shampoo and conditioner not comb through over and over , wash everything if boys shave hair

Liquid paraffin slathered on left for an hour on head wash out condition and comb with a nit comb then straighten all the hair you can…worked for us after spending a fortune on other stuff :slight_smile:

I’ve heard mayonnaise on dry hair will kill them

Smother hair with apple cider vinegar once dry coat with coconut oil. Vinegar eats them from inside and oil pulls them and eggs out. Best way I have found.

Condioner spread through hair everyday for 1mth Comb through with nit comb …

My friends daughter was infested and used simple vegetable oil and it’s just sides out…

The health department can help you with that but we use mayonnaise

They actually don’t like clean hair. Smother hair in conditioner and cover with shower cap. Comb out with metal comb. Use tea tree shampoo.

tree tree oil shampoo but to get eggs out oil or hair with mayo which condition hair later or warm oil and get lice comb and come it all out and u have to wash all bedding an clothes in either hot water or heat from the dryer but all your clothes because kids use your stuff to and treat all head at same time get family help and do ur heads as well cause if u dont do it all it will keep coming back cause kids get in your bed and furinture

There might be local places that specialize in treatment and most FSA/HSA cards will cover cost.

Find hair dye that matches everyone’s hair color and do that. Hair dye will kill everything, lice and eggs. After that use a hair straightner just to make sure… No hair cuts needed.

Buy a monkey to groom your monkey.

Mineral oil and vinegar equal parts, 0ut in hair cover their hair with plastic.

Use coconut shampoo and conditioner it’s an easy way to kill them off.

buy a expensive powered comb from the chemist they definitely work

Shave their heads its the quickest and easiest way and less stress of all the combing

Listerine(the one that has alcohol), mayonnaise, oil, hair dye

There’s 𝓐 spray at Ace hardware in 𝓐 blue bottle called bug be gone when anyone comes in itching at my mamaws (she has bad ocd) even if they just scratch there hand she goes buys it puts it in 𝓐 spray bottle and mixes it with water and sprays down everything and I mean everything from the ceilings to the floor to every small crevice she can get to and the ones she can’t she sprays the floor beds couches love seats even the kitchen table it’s good for 𝓐 lot of bugs just let everything sit for an hour and thirty minutes after you drench it then you can wash it so just in case one of the chemicals in it doesn’t make the kids break out as for them I’d say whatever is 𝓐 strong smell like vinegar or kerosene