How to handle toddler tantrums?

What’s the other moms advice on how to handle a public tantrum?

56 Likes

I take mine to the bathroom to have a talk. Come back then if they do it again we go back to the bathroom for a spanking.

8 Likes

Ignore it. Kids throw tantrums for attention. Don’t give them the attention their looking for

1 Like

I will definitely throw a tantrum too. See if they like :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:the attention

1 Like

We leave. They go in the car and we sit there, don’t move or speak until its done.

1 Like

I’ll leave the store, go home, spankem. Now all I have to do is threaten to leave.

Lol my mama left me in the middle of the floor when I had a tantrum :joy: but me personally (since I’m about to have a baby) I would take them to a fitting room or a bathroom and have a talk. And like Courtney said above, if that don’t work, butt whooping it is

2 Likes

I popped their butt right in the store (didnt hurt them a bit) but it surprised then to where I only had to give them the “look” and they stopped

If in cart I ignore it and let them throw a fit. If on floor pick them up put in cart and go on with my day.

I laid on the floor of Walmart once and screamed, yelled, and kicked like my daughter was doing, she instantly stopped got up and walked away.lol

4 Likes

Get on the floor and throw a tantrum with them :crazy_face:

1 Like

I give mine a warning and if she does it again we leave

2 Likes

I just pretend it’s not happening and keep talking to him like hes not having a screaming fit. He calms down eventually

2 Likes

Depends. Sometimes I leave the situation, usually I try to talk it out or hug it out. But you know… sometimes none of those things work at all

Usually I ignore it. And they calm down. Then we talk about it. Every kid is different ive just found that with my toddler he stops when he realizes I wont respond.

I handle them pretty well by keeping calm. my son likes to fall out so I just let him tbh lol they will eventually get over it

1 Like

I either walk away or whoop that ass in the bathroom or behind a rack :rofl:

My kids have had enough warnings about tantrums so we leave and go home.

Go to the bathroom and have a talk or spankin if it’s to bad

3 Likes

I do three strikes your out. 1st is a warning, 2nd we have a talk, 3rd I’m spanking and we leaving.

3 Likes

So I just learned a trick. It doesn’t work all the time. But holy crap it’s worked more than it hasn’t. During the meltdown, change the subject and ask a random question like, “what color are your shoes?” The other day my daughter was throwing a huge fit and I just paused and said, “hey, have you seen my tweezers anywhere?” She gave me an answer and stopped crying immediately. She’s 7. It worked on my 6 year old too. Asked him about the shark on his shirt. Boom! tantrum over.

4 Likes

Drag to bathroom and whip that booty. If they don’t straighten up after that you drag them to the car an leave or sit in the car with them while spouse finishes the shopping and leave with your kid getting nothing…no candy or anything. Don’t reward bad behavior

3 Likes

If it’s to that point where my kids are screaming at the top of their lungs and misbehaving when I told them to behave, I spank them.

3 Likes

Ignore it or a swift smack on the ass or twist ear Don’t play into the BS

I usually offer the kid to help find his mummy for him. . … kinda ruins it when he screams ‘you are my mum’

10 Likes

I have a look that I give… they then know what’s about to happen. Usually they stop. If they don’t… I leave wherever I am and take them to the car

Just ignore it.

You feed into it theyl play on it.

You are mum they are child.
Ypu set the grounds they act on.

1 Like

I leave my basket and take my child out to my vehicle or restroom and we talk about it. He never throws tantrums but gets an attitude.

Any attention is good attention bad behaviour or good to kids.
Think about that before you change YOUR PLANS around your kid.
YOU ARE MUM THEY ARE CHILD.

I walk out. Put them in the car.

1 Like

Temper Tantrums turn into Boo Boos

I had this happen with my 2 year old. I was trying to get her shoes that fit her so i had to try them on her and ahe trew a fit when i took them off. I mean screaming throwing herself around the cart the works. She was tired so i get it and i tried talking. I tried threatening to leave and i even sat her down and started walking. Then this old lady looks around the corner and starts whispering to the man beside her when i get around and he starts following me. It was so creeping that i loudly told my boyfriend if the old lady and the man dont leave me alone ill call the cops to walmart. That they act like theve never seen a kid throw a tantrum. Needless to say he stopped and she glared at me. So i ask what her problem was and she walked away. Some people are nosey

3 Likes

U do what u feel as a mother needs to be done.

It’s a privilege to be in the store. Daddy says no twice if there’s a third time we leave.

1 Like

My fiancee waited until his daughter was finished. Then they went to the sporting goods section and he asked her to buy him something. She said she didn’t have money. He threw himself down and had a tantrum. Worked like a charm.

6 Likes

A warning, then an ass whooping if its over nothing. If I can tell my kid is hungry or tired i distract them.

De-escalation. Try my best to calm him down, talking to him calmly and distract him if possible. I empathize.

2 Likes

I just don’t acknowledge it :woman_shrugging:t3: it turns into a bigger deal if you make it one or give in so I just do what I gotta do and if people don’t like it they can suckle the sweat from my balls idc I got bigger problems than some nosey old lady pretending she never dealt with tantrums :joy:

Let him or her continue to have the fit. Be very calm and patient the whole time whether you give in or not while in public. People will commend your patience. Your child will learn to behave in public no matter how angry they are because of your example…even if you have to reprimand them once you are home.

1 Like

Honestly my child is 5 and I handle them all different depending on what it’s over. Sometimes I distract her with something to get her mind over whatever it is, sometimes we leave, sometimes I sit down and talk about it with her, sometimes I ignore it. It just depends.

4 Likes

Leave the buggy and take the kid outside

1 Like

not a mom… but an aunt. i just leave her about 20 feet away in an aisle and she realizes she better get that act right or she about to be all alone.:joy: yet im her favorite person. cool aunt that dont put up with NOTHING.:woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

If time out in bathroom doesnt work. I prepare myself to throw a tantrum myself right along with her. Fucking try me.

Idgaf… if I actually saw someone spanking their kid in public, I’d be intervening that nonsense.

1 Like

I pick them up without a word and go home and they sit in the corner chair but if it’s close to bed time they go without a snack or a story or a song. I also ask do you know why this is happening if I hear no then I explain what theu did was not appropriate and for tonight this is me disciplining you. The time out I add an extra 2 min plus the age of the child.

I ask if we need to visit the restroom or do we need to leave the store

3 Likes

I’ve thrown a tantrum with my oldest before and he looked at me like I was crazy and stopped. Other than that I do not give in to anything that
They are wanting. Otherwise they’ll think they can do it every time and get what they want

1 Like

Don’t engage. Start walking away. Get a sitter next time.

I just go sit in the car with my 2 year old until he’s ready to try again, if not then we go home and try shopping another day!

Let them and dont engage, praise them when they stop and comply to directions

Honestly, it depends on the day. Most I just keep moving and ignore it. My daughter is all about the reaction. So if I ignore it, she will just pout and huff more than throw down screaming. But if I am defeated and tired, I give her my phone. There is a much better chance that my phone is the lesser of evils compared to whatever brought on the tantrum.

remove the child (and yourself) to somewhere away from whatever the tantrum is about, and where it’s quieter. let it run its course, without losing your cool. then be calm and explain your expectations about going back.

Restroom break :hugs: and my daughter knows what that means . So she stops before she is ahead .

6 Likes

Take her to the restroom and whoop her bottom. It works on my child.

4 Likes

Never had that problem with my kids but if they did try it I just gave them the look and they knew better. I also told them what I was going to get and nothing extra.

1 Like

If you allow them to act like that at home they will do the same in public.

3 Likes

When they were little I would picked my kids up surfboard style and carry them out of the store screaming, crying and carrying on, took them home, put them to bed, them with dad and then went back to the store by myself. I don’t deal with that nonsense. Now that they are older I will spank their butts and they will get grounded for acting up in the store.

4 Likes

I’ve got 5, with four being special needs, shopping centres are a big deal for our little ones and they just get so overwhelmed and react the only way they know how. I usually pick them up and give them a cuddle, reassure them that it’s hard and that I am there, my older ones I give the mum glare to and ask them what’s going on

1 Like

It depends on the age… very young children have a hard time coping with their emotions and if my daughter throws herself down on the floor inlet her pout for a moment and she will get up and find the words to express her feelings to me. She is 2 and a half and I’m not saying she is the perfect child, she whines and pouts and wants like any other kid but she never kicks screams and has full blown tantrums either

Snatch them up take them home, refuse to take them out with you, but go places(store gas station etc) frequently and tell them they cant go because of the tantrums. Do this repetitively for about 2 weeks or until they say they wont misbehave,

1 Like

My oldest tried it one time and I just walked where she couldn’t see me but I could see her. She stopped and got concern as to my whereabouts. But this was 33 years ago

1 Like

Hug them that works with my son lol. Letting him or walking away would only make it worse!

I try to ignore it or they get a spanking

1 Like

Depends on the child.
I used my moms trick…
Lightly pinch under the arm, by the arm pit. Not hard bc it’s sensitive…
Get on their level, smile and explain that knocking it off is in their best interest. The handful of times they tried me again, we went home.
Only once did I pop one of mine in the store. Oddly enough, never had another issue with him. Lol

1 Like

I think u should pi k them up and love them i mean give me a break what can u do.

I love that spanking comments are not being ridiculed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Ignore it.
Removing them from the store will only show them that they have power over you, if they aren’t wanting to be somewhere, they just start crying long enough til you take them out.
Spanking majority of the time just adds to the chaos (sometimes I do pop my kids tho if they’re just being ridiculous)
I literally just act like I can’t see or hear them when they act like that tho, I may say “when you use your big boy words, we can talk” and I’ll leave it at that. I can count 2 times that my kids (2 & 1- only ever been my 2 yr old) has thrown a tantrum in public. They realize they aren’t getting anywhere by acting a fool so they stop. I get some looks but I honestly don’t care.

1 Like

If nothing else works…Walk away if the situation suits… they soon stop and run after you.

I would look at my daughter’s and tell them do we need to take a trip to the restroom their answer was no Mom because they knew I was going to warm their behind and it stopped immediately

I have an almost three year old… Most situations I am fortunate to not be alone with him…if I am alone I try to stay calm and silent and ride it out. For example if they are crying and screaming on the ground I attempt to pick them up and get out of the area asap…yes sometimes I am dragging them bc they stopped using their legs… If not alone I can simply tell their daddy hey take them out to the car they are losing it… But for the most part it is just staying calm… Looking a little abusive haha by dragging them and removing them from the environment for the respect of others ( either to the car… Or sending them off to run a fake errand like you and daddy go get the toilet paper… Gives them a sense of purpose). I tend to avoid all eye contact with strangers and try my best to remain calm and not feel embarrassed… We have all been there and I try to think that other people are understanding of my situation.

1 Like

My son used to do this! The store knew me so I just walked away and stood on the outside of the aisle watching him. When he was done he realized I wasn’t there and panicked so I came around the corner then. Said ‘are you done?’ I did not buy what he wanted either. Only happened one time.

1 Like

Happybirthday Samantha. I love U.I’ll get back to U as soon as I can

Depends on what the problem is and if anything else is a factor such as over tired and if it’s just a tantrum or if they are trying to hit or whatever

1 Like

As a mom who believed in spankings (3 swats to the behind always got my point across…) with that being said …I would ask my daughters "Do you want to have to go to the ladies room?’ which they KNEW meant they were going to get a spanking. Just the threat of that usually stopped whatever bad behavior was going on.

Thankfully my daughter never did that! I have seen parents leave a store with a cart full and just take their kid and walk out.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to handle toddler tantrums? - Mamas Uncut

Next time u leave to go somewhere u tell her she cannot go and continue to not allow her

8 Likes

Welcome to parenthood

4 Likes

First off don’t cry in front of her. Set her down and tell her that her behavior will not be tolerated and her going is a privilege. Try again and if she starts up just leave.

1 Like

Just wait I’ll straighten her out

Give them a pop on the rear. Explain why.

13 Likes

https://refer.earningcash.co/Lansing1

Children do no know how to explain their feelings. This is the only way they know. It’s not fun for the parents that’s for sure. When they do this the right thing to do is ignore them or take them to the car. Tell them when you are finished and your tears are dry you can go back in the store. Put them in their seat and stand outside the car and let them go. It is so hard to do but it works

4 Likes

First of all momma, wipe your tears, straighten your clothes and your crown and take some breaths. Today was a bad day. Talk to your child, let them know what they did was not right, that you are disappointed and that there are consequences to bad behavior. The worst thing you could do is turn a blind eye and pretend it’s ok and didn’t happen. Kids test boundaries, show her who the boss is and punish her in the way you see fit. Make her understand that outings are a privilege and if this continues, she will be staying home a lot. Stick to your guns momma, you got this!!

13 Likes

Spank her a** seriously and don’t take her out anywhere for awhile until she starts behaving. Put her butt in time out no matter where u are at and if she tries to get out of time out put her little butt back and keep repeating till she stays in time out then when she’s done with her time out you get down to her level and tell her behaviors are not okay. Take her toys away take everything away from her until she starts behaving seriously yes it’s hard and other ppl won’t agree but guess what taking her stuff and losing everything from tv to toys will show her that you mean business and each time she acts like she is you repeat the time out thing and taking stuff away from her. Don’t give in either.

Walk out the store until she stops do it again and again until she learns let her know what you’re coming for and what you are affording that day.

2 Likes

My daughter got pretty bad between 3 and 4. Super emotional. My son is 4 and he gets crazy tantrums sometimes too. His are more physical. They out grow it usually but you definitely have to set down rules. Shop with your partner and be ready to leave wherever you are the instant they get an attitude. We go to the car and I have them sit there until they calm down. If it starts before you leave the house then keep them home and explain why they can’t go out. If they don’t calm down I do time out right infront of me against a wall and they can’t get up until they completely stop crying and screaming. If it takes an hour then so be it.
If that doesn’t work I start taking toys and everything else the worse they get. Then day by day I give stuff back as their attitude gets better.
Every parent who sees what happening has been there. Don’t be hard on yourself. Kids are NUTS. No kid is perfect all the time but there are definitely great moments between the craziness.

7 Likes

Big feelings in a little body and she doesn’t know how to handle them you have to help her understand. We set expectations with them before getting them out of their seats and before we go in the store. And if capable we remove them from the situation when it becomes a situation let them have there meltdown without speaking to them. Once calm we talk about why we had to leave or walk away and why there tantrum was not acceptable and remind them of the expectations we set before coming in.

5 Likes

First off. You did the right thing. You didn’t let her have her way. Let her kick and scream. Don’t let it embarrass you. You had to show her that a fit isn’t going to get her what she wants. So you did the 100% right thing. Second. Stand your ground. When you go to the store again…it’s a new day. It’s a new chance for her. And you. To try again. If she throws a fit. You do the same thing. You take her and leave. Don’t give in to her demands. Eventually she will get it. My child only threw one fit about a toy. Once. And we walked out not buying anything. She never did it again.

You DID THE RIGHT THING MOMMA.

She does not hate you. Let her have her moment. It will go away and she will come back and give you love again. You can sit her down and explain that hate is a strong word. That she may not like you right now and that’s ok. Our children are not suppose to be our friend 100% of the time. They can dislike us in a moment anytime. And that’s fine. You’re doing your job right then.

I promise momma. She still loves you.

7 Likes

Also stop buying her things when you guys are out regardless if she’s good or not because if you keep buying her things she’s going to expect it each time which is prolly why she acted like a brat today at the store when u said no :woman_shrugging:t3: sorry I don’t sugar coat stuff and I’m blunt

11 Likes

Ignore her n walk away

2 Likes

My son started having g a fit in the store one day and I leaned down a d outlook told him that if he didn’t stop it, I was going to pull his pants down and spank his butt right there in front of everyone. I never did that so he was just looking at me and got real quiet and not one peep. Every kid is different.

My son ‘fell out’ on the floor in a fit at the grocery store check out. I ignored him and proceeded to walk out of the store. He quickly straightened up and followed me out. That was 40 years ago. He’s now a great guy and a great Dad. They sure grow up fast.

1 Like

First, understand she’s only 4. No. I’m not making that an excuse as she does need to be told in a calm but stern way that it’s not okay to be like that. My 4 year old is a pretty well behaved child however she has also been throwing fits and being argumentative about a lot lately. The other day we went to the mall and she threw a fit because she couldn’t ride the train. I then looked back at the day and realized we were out all afternoon in the heat, at a party, store, then mall that she walked as we forgot the stroller, and I told her we’d ride the train at the end, but when it was time, the conductor was nowhere in sight. So the meltdown came.

2 Likes

What did your husband do about the situation once you were in the car?

First off, congratulations on the way you handled this situation! Now dry those tears and remember that children have bad days too. They show their anger in different ways but sometimes they seem outta control. Toddlers can’t handle stress just like some adults. Now that being said, she needs to know that that was an unacceptable way to conduct herself in public. If you can, stop taking her to the store! Even at this age, she needs to know that acting out gets no snacks or prizes for a couple of days. I say this because toddlers have a short attention span and a couple days seems like an eternity. If the behavior continues, start over with no snacks or prizes! Good luck momma!

5 Likes

Well as soon as she starts the tantrum, leave the cart and take her out of the store. If she is still going, give her a swat on the ass, not enough to hurt just get attention. Then tell her if you act like you have been, no store for you

Spank her butt right there on the spot show her who is boss a spanking has never killed a child

Tantrum or no tantrum, don’t you ever let her hit, kick, or scratch you again! And stop that crying. I’m 66 and from the old school. You need to start carrying a belt. Wooden hair brushes and spoons work very well also. My daughter threw a tantrum in Montgomery Wards when she was about 6. I whipped out my hair brush and tore her tail up. It never happened again.

27 Likes

Jst ignore… N explain whn she calms down in gentle tone