How to help a child with constipation?

So my 5 year old is constipated… she rarely gets caffeine but I stopped and got her a frappe from starbucks… what’s the chances of this making her sick or feel crazy??? We are going to be calling the doctor to get medicine recommended for her but until then, we decided to get things moving.

29 Likes

Just keep her hydrated with water and try to get her foods that will get her to poop such as beans, raisins and prunes.

Eh, she might be a little more hyped then usual. But it’s not going to kill her. And caffeine is known to help you go to the bathroom. Just keep an eye on her if you’re worried about it.

1 Like

It may make her a little jittery, but she’ll be ok.

Why are u giving a 5 year old coffee anyways? Jw

15 Likes

Big glass of apple juice will get things moving.

1 Like

Yall she is bouncing off the walls!! She is bipolar and has turrets lol. She ate pancakes with extra syrup this morning and still no “movement”… we are going to try some chocolate laxative when we get home and see if that helps. We went for a walk to try to get things going too :-/

2 Likes

Small amounts of coffe is actually good for kids and will not harm them in small doses. My son was getting caffeine treatments when he was born in NICU. Quit being judgy

3 Likes

Is she complaining that she has to go but can’t? Or just hasn’t in a while?

Should help poop lol might be a little hyper but thats it

I’m a regular coffee drinker (talking 1-2 pots a day) and a tall frappe from Starbucks is enough to make me hyped for the day, the amount of caffeine and sugar in one of those is ridiculous~ try apple juice, prunes, fruits/veggies, water with insoluble fibre etc… a 5 year old shouldn’t be drinking those

2 Likes

Why are you giving a 5 yo coffee with 50g of sugar in it and then asking us what’s wrong?

7 Likes

Lots of water, have her eat an apple or prunes or the juice. One apple works for my Granddaughter when she is constipated. When I notice her stool is a little hard I have her drink more water.

1 Like

Watermelon will always help.

My granddaughter had the same problem and I gave her a little bit of black coffee and it seemed to help.

1 Like

Water grapes orange juice

Warm prune juice works too!

1 Like

Grape juice should help to get things moving for her

I would just give her like a tablespoon of prune juice before all that sugar and caffeine

1 Like

There’s a lot of food & fluids that you can try (personally, I go natural normal food first if possible) to help because constipation is more than likely, always caused by food, certain fluids and if not, lack of the latter. It does take more time to change the effect of constipation than medication but I would definitely start off by one dose of medicine then change more than one item of baby’s nutrish. Lots of fruit juices naturally get bowels movin, I know I get the shitsss & a half if I drink enough natural pineapple juice(sorry lol) and food wise, cut as much starches for a while, sugar, not sure if this is true but I think some meats like beef or steak or hamburger? I have a hard time not giving my 3 little jerks soda on occasion, but that’s only if they catch me hiding on the porch with my one soda I sneak home every week​:joy::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones: Hope this helps, try it!!

Kayro syrup works wonders

I mean I would have likely tried other routes like juice and Karo syrup before I jumped straight to coffee and if I had to resort to coffee it wouldn’t have been a Starbucks Frappuccino lol
I would have just done a small amount of Folgers with a lot of milk and a little sugar.

I’m sure it won’t make her sick but that much sugar and caffeine is too much for a 5 year old. Always start small and take more action if needed, you pulled out some seriously big guns right out the gate.

3 Likes

A frappe is a tiny bit of coffee and mostly ice and milk and whatever else added in…use prunes, prune juice, high fiber foods

ummm theres alot of other things before a coffee for a 5 yr old… :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Our 6yr old is on a miralax powder. We do 1 cup a day (8oz) and she hasn’t had to much of an issue. But I’d ask the doctor first. She has situs inversous and some other things going on. Plus her medication makes her constipated and caused a blockage in her intestines. So she has to take it

1 Like

The Frappuccino’s don’t even have caffeine in them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

She will be crazy!!! But coffee works wonderful for me. I hope it works for her. Also you can try some warm prune juice.

My kid has Starbucks and coffee plenty she’s just fine and it helps her poop. There is so much crap in all foods, I’m sure it’s not the worst thing she gets it’s fine every once in awhile

first world solutions…

1 Like

Miralax and pedialax were recommended to me by my pediatrician.

Fiber gummies help too

Prune juice will do the trick. You can buy some over the counter Miralax and give her a 1/4 of a cap full in her drink once a day. It pulls the water fibers and breaks up the stools. Add more fiber to her diet and that should help as well. Apple juice will work as well.

Try miralax, there are fiber gummies as well. I used a suppository in a bulb for my granddaughter which helped. You don’t want her to get impacted.

You give your 5 year old a frappe? Wtf. Ever heard of prunes or prune juice?

6 Likes

Yeeeah I’d skip the coffee and go get her some prunes. They have them in the grocery store by the raisins. They have individually wrapped ones that look like little candies.

3 Likes

…your first choice was coffee?

5 Likes

Miralax. I don’t recommend giving children coffee. I remember the first time I had coffee. I felt so jittery.

2 Likes

Sorry but you’re just lazy. Google literally could have told you at least 5 safer remedies for constipation.

3 Likes

A little prune juice every day will keep her regular

What did I just read… frappe… 5 year old… what

1 Like

Uhm you gave your five year old a coffee ,?

1 Like

You know they have frappes without coffee… Good lord

2 Likes

Miralax or chocolate milk?Not coffee way to young.

1 Like

just give her a beer. :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

You guys do know that the caffeine in a frappe is next to none right??

4 Likes

Give her dates or tangerine.

A cigarette to accompany the coffee always made me go :smirk:

8 Likes

Make peanut butter (if she isn’t allergic) balls with dates and oats, it’s a healthy, tasty snack. Easy to make. And will keep her regular. My 3 year old is picky and loves them!!

More fiber, fruit in her diet; Start there then if she still has issues consult a physician

1 Like

My son gets an occasional sip or two or three or half of my coffee :woman_shrugging:
But when he hasn’t pooped in a couple of days, I give him half prune juice/half water and it usually does the trick in a couple of hours. If not I give him a little more prune juice.

3 Likes

Lol a little coffee is not going to hurt her! My boys will literally take my coffee cup and finish it if I leave it in reach, they’re both under 5. She will be okay!

2 Likes

Theres no coffee in their frappes, when ordering frappes for myself i have to have shots of expresso because of that fact.

2 Likes

All theses perfect mommies bashing her …lmmfaooo… Y’all need to have several seats… My daughter is 5 a loves taking sips of my hazelnut coffee… Gtfoh…

12 Likes

Sounds like lactose intolerance

What?!!! No caffeine. Way to young.

1 Like

Y’ALL you can get a frappe with no coffee or espresso, calm tf down.

3 Likes

You don’t treat constipation with a ton of sugar. Water and Pedia-lax chewable laxatives work. My son’s GI doctor has him taking them every day because he has chronic constipation that has caused him to be admitted. The chewables are just magnesium and if they don’t work, you give a liquid glycerin suppository to attack it from both ends.

1 Like

Prune juice is what I was told. And a frappe will do nothing it’s like eating icecream no caffeine like at all

3 Likes

Banana and a cranberry ginger ale (like 4 sips). It’ll make her wanna go potty

🤦 why would you give a 5 year old coffee

4 Likes

A capful of Miralax every day. We’ve been through the same thing.

1 Like

Miralax, apple juice, bananas, prune juice.

Prune juice or mineral oil

Prune juice, apple juice, fruits, more water in her diet fiber maybe? There are so many better ways to deal with constipation. 🤦

Theres a reason for the saying, you gunna crappe your frappe

5 Likes

There’s no caffeine in the Starbucks frapps…all sugar unless you request Expresso shots

1 Like

Pear juice is better than prune juice.

I worked for a pediatric office this is what we would recommend.

It tastes better and it doesn’t give the super uncomfortable cramps that prune juice gives and it works way faster than apple juice. And it doesn’t create dependency like over the counter meds.

Once that’s done make sure you’re keeping her hydrated. Send her with a water bottle to school. Or have her drink a cup of water for break fast and bring her a water bottle after school.

3 Likes

My son loves coffee especially from Starbucks…I didn’t even know coffee was used for a laxative lol. Good to know :+1:

2 Likes

I feel silly but when my mr 5 was constipated I’d get him 3 wicked wings for KFC and he’d poop in under 4 hours

4 Likes

Miralax. It helps my 5 year old when he has trouble going

1 Like

Miralax works. And it’s safe for kids to take.

They do make creme based fraps that dont contain caffeine. My daughter loves the strawberry one, we get her a tall.

1 Like

Try Apple or prune juice

Seriously?? Instead of a frappe for a 5 yr old why wouldn’t you try apple juice or prune juice??

3 Likes

Why would you give your child coffee?

3 Likes

My son used to be very constipated. Turns it it was dairy milk as soon as I removed dairy milk he was able to poop with no problems

1 Like

Good ole prunes or prune juice always works for my daughter just a small amount and a little bit later she’s running to the bathroom lol

What happened to baby prunes or juice?! I can’t totally see that making her tummy hurt if she’s not used to it.

1 Like

More than likely not from the frappe. I would give her prune juice also apple juice helps my daughter go when she can’t

Why tf would u give a 5 year old a frappe !

8 Likes

Why in the world is a 5 year old having caffeine!!! That’s insane!!!

4 Likes

Brown sugar in a tall glass of water
Prune juice
Laxative suppositories

No caffeine girl, poor kiddo will be wired.

prunes, apple juice, high fiber foods, push water as well.

Why are we mom shaming??? If I wanted to get my 5 year old a frappe I’d get my 5 year old a frappe. Coffee is the best to get things moving. Y’all just pansies not being able to handle an extra hyper 5 year old for a couple hours :joy: leave this mom be!

11 Likes

This must be fake post…

Yeah I don’t think coffee will help other than make her hyper. Try prune juice or fresh orange juice. Failing that doctor will give you some meds to help

caffeine will make her more constipated

1 Like

My duaghter has been this way since birth. The dr said to give her pear juice. Dont water it down. Just like it is. You can get from walmart or aldis

You could actually hurt her with that amount of caffeine and sugar.
Blood pressure, heart, mind … not to mention the come down afterwards. Wow.

Ive given my kids coffee before milked down at that age for that reason. It also helps kids with adhd calm down.

1 Like

After 20 mins or so give her food. Shell be fine

Black coffee enima works better. I don’t know why everyone is freaking out. Frappe is basically ice cream anyway. Lol
Might actually constipate her more

Caffeine also further dehydrates you…in turn making the poop harder than it already is. Shouldve done warm prune juice or even Miralax. Increase clear fluids like apple juice and water. Increase fruits. And FFS stay away from the fraps for a 5yr old

1 Like

Always try prune juice, grapes, fruits to get her moving before resorting to coffee

5 Likes

Y’all realize Starbucks frappes don’t actually have that much caffeine in them right? Mostly just sugar. Y’all need to chill and take a step down off that high horse you put yourselves on. None of y’all are better than the other.

7 Likes

Prunes and lots of water will help.

My daughter drinks the vanilla bean frappe from Starbucks as a treat with me and has for a few years ( she is now 6). It has no caffeine in it.

1 Like

I give my 2 year old fiber gummies every day. If we skip a day, it’s noticeable. But her dad has given a little coffee in her cup before. I didn’t notice a difference tho.

1 Like

Dairy is a huge trigger for my little one . Blueberries or fruit with seeds like strawberries are excellent to get things moving . Bananas the the skin is browning are great but if yellow can constipate further .

1 Like

if i seem harsh sorry to all the mommies please forgive me. One thing i would never give my young ones at this age is pop and frappes. some parents love to give their kids pop at a birthday party or just as a treat. if you do so dont give them the dark pops give them the fruity ones or caffeine free it is not good for them at this age. as their still getting new teeth. right now because you’re child is constipated Offer your child high-fiber foods, such as beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.no milk just water 100% pure juice’s no heavy foods. green veggies always seemed to work for my little guy

2 Likes