How to navigate family drama during engagement?

I wouldn’t spend any money on those I wouldn’t REALLY want to spend the day with! My best advice: ELOPE! SPEND THE MONEY ON YOURSELVES! And celebrate with those you REALLY enjoy spending time with afterwards!

1 Like

This is your wedding day, not a family reunion. Invite those you love and that love you in return.

Best wishes!

I would like to congratulate you both and I hope your special day is just that very special. Congratulations

Elope. That’s what I did, and I had a wonderful marriage.

No! Don’t bring drama mama stress to your special day!

1 Like

You invite whom you feel comfortable with, it’s your wedding.

Have a very private wedding… then you can have a party, ow two if you want to separate tge families.

Do not invite people that you do not want to. It’s your wedding, they are not an active part of your life.

Y’all comfort is what matters and future start out right

Elope and use the wedding money for other things.

Your wedding. You choose who you want to attend.

Absolutely not! You do you, it’s your day! :heart:

Invite them all to an engagement party and test the waters

Your wedding, invite who you want to

Get a civil wedding at the court house. Just a few close friends, that’s all.

1 Like

Go to Las Vegas and get married and have a great time!

God loves you sweetheart because covid will save you oh my goodness You say I know how much you all love me and I love you… it’s really just too much of a sacrifice for you to do this…no one should risk their lives and you’ve decided just to go to Hawaii and tough it out!.. Best engagement timing ever for you because they will s*** on your day believe that people don’t change their stripes… Also you have a precious love to protect now and your intuition is bang on! steer clear of any of those people who would bring you or your marriage down…love them from afar ! Congratulations sweetheart happy healthy long marriage prosperity and joy much love to you both.

Do what your heart really wants to do!! If i had that issue I wouldn’t invite them. No communication…no invite!!

It is your day do it your way

You dint need the drama. It wouldn’t be a fresh start with them. Just another tool to beat you with. It’s your day not theirs. Invite your dad if you have to but surround yourself with people you want not what family decrees.

Invite those people that are the closest to you & your fiancee. Don’t invite the drama!

Please let it go and send an invite.It takes two to make a wrong.Thanks

Your wedding day is about you and your groom. Your first day of married life together behave people that live and support you to celebrate those special day. You don’t owe anyone anything and it sounds like they haven’t been very kind or caring. Do not feel guilty in any way. Why have them there this day when they really haven’t been around for anything else? Sometimes you have to remove yourself from difficult and toxic people and situations with NO GUILT. Plan for your blessed day with those who will celebrate with you. You will have a more peaceful and happy day!

Just inform your dad and his family side its up to them if they’re coming or not
Dont please anyone
The important people in ur life are ur mom siblings dad and some witness for the wedding ok

Absolutely not. Jts about you and your fiance not them. I didnt invite most of my aunt and uncles because u can’t stand them. No cousins either. Arseholes. I wanted to be happy on my day not stressing out. Please make sure you do anything you plan for you and hubby don’t explain to anyone. Its your day noone elses

Nope. It’s your day. Stop the drama in its tracks!!!

It’s YOUR day. Enough said.

Blood relation has zero obligation.
Invite who makes you happy.

Ew. No. Only invite those you actively love and who actively love you.

Fuck no. Invite who u want and is present in ur life. It’s you and your fiance’s day. Not Thiers .

It’s your wedding. If you don’t want,don’t invite them. That’s it

Nope. Do not open that can o worms. Do not invite them.
Someone WILL try to ruin the day.

It’s your wedding. Don’t invite anyone who makes you uncomfortable.

It’s YOUR big day. YOURS. Invite people who you love and who love you to your wedding. Just because people are ‘family’ it does not give them a God given right to be there. Just say you’re having a small wedding and that’s that. Or failing that, elope! Good luck and be happy for yourselves. Xxx

1 Like

Life’s too short.family or not toxic is toxic and you do not need that in your life.Walk away guilt free and have a drama free life x

I’m the queen of family drama. Don’t invite them. Their loss. It’s your day! I thought when I had a son, my father would reach out. We even asked. Nope. Then he died. No regrets. His choice. Luckily I got remarried and I only had one relative. My Aunt. She was so supportive. Had a small wedding (about 30) in a small church. It was amazing and I was at peace :heart:

No honey. Do not invite those @ssholes. It’s pointless and stressful to try and reach out to people who obviously give 0 fucks about you. They showed their true colors and made their choices. Your wedding is about you and your SO. Let them be miserable in their sheltered lives while you live yours out happy with the person you love.

Well, if you haven’t seen or talked to them in that long, why do you expect a congratulations? I couldn’t care any less about what my family does. I moved 7 times in 7 years and not once did they offer to help besides my dad being there for moral support. Otherwise nobody helped me. I told my boyfriend that when we get married, I won’t have anyone to invite because I don’t need stuck up family members there.
So my advice, don’t invite them and ONLY invite those you believe will make great memories to look back on.

I have an immense amount of family drama, especially on my fathers side. I havent spoken to my father going on 4 years, and all of his side of the family are conniving, manipulative dicks, so I’ve distanced myself from damn near the whole side.
Im also about to get married in November and I only reached out to certain people on that side about my engagement/wedding that I think would actually give a shit and who also arent the biggest fan of my father and understand why I want nothing to do with him or the family…

In the end its really up to you. Its up to how you want to live your life and your married life.
Do you want that drama in your life?
But then again will you be okay with a complete cut?
Either way, youre an adult now, if you dont want to take all their bullshit anymore, YOU MOST CERTAINLY DONT FUCKIN HAVE TO FOR ANY REASON.

Leave them out of the planning and don’t invite any drama. Your special day should be drama free.

No, no, no…save the reunion for a day you can walk away. Do not ruin your day and try to cater to anyone but your new husband.

Plan a huge engagement “get to know the fambam” party, invite them to that, but Save yourself stress and headaches and elope before the “engagement party”

And then make the surprise announcement that it’s already a done deal

Nope. If they are toxic to you then cut them all out. My family did that with Dad’s side of the family and there are no regrets. My Dad’s side of the family have always hated me too and I have never met Mum’s side of the family

You don’t have to deal with that kinda stress on your wedding day. I say don’t invite them. It’s not gonna be worth the drama

I would talk to your Dad. It is his family so ask him how he would feel if you didn’t invite them. Yes, it is your day, but if me could not enjoy it if knew I had hurt my father.

Nah, don’t bother. It’s your day, enjoy it with people you love. Arse to them. X

The only people you should aim to please if yourself and your future Spouse.

Period point blank

cut your losses and elope.

Justice of peace just get married. I did 46 years ago

Never let family conflict spoil your day
It’s your day do what makes YOU
happy

There are 3 sides to a story. MY SIDE, THEIR SIDE and the TRUTH…EVERYBODY AGREE TO THAT!

Do what you want. Invite them or not they will complain either way

Don’t invite them…….

Make a list without them and with them. Compare prices with those two lists. If they’re worth the money, invite them. If not, don’t feel any guilt.

Stop the drama, elope your selfish answer now. You young women are awful. Family is all you have in this world. Quit the silly talk. Just go get hitched.

Invite them but just don’t expect miracles.

I wouldn’t bother inviting them.

Invite the in-laws then they can never say they were not invited.

ELOPE!!!:hibiscus: congratulations to you and your soon to be. Stay :blush: happy

1 Like

Forget to mail the invitation!

E L O P E.
Forget the Fanfare . You’ll be more respected.
You’ll be ahead of the game❤
Purchase property with the money you will save.

Only invite who you are comfortable with. It’s your day have fun with it :grin: congratulations btw :confetti_ball::tada:

7 Likes

Girl, fuck them :joy: if you think an invitation to your wedding is going to patch up a lifetime of stank-coochie energy relatives you’re mistaken, my good bitch. Invite whoever actually makes you happy and then your wedding will be happy as well. Believe it.

The fact that they are childish enough to not tell you congratulations about one of the biggest decisions in your life should tell you all you need to know. It’s your day and I would want people there who you know without a shadow of a doubt are on YOUR team.

I was told for mine invite the jack ass (him and his wife pretty much abandoned us when my dad -his BROTHER- died) the most he spoke to me in 16 years was “when is it… I’ll see” I handed him his invite and everything when I went to my other aunt- his sister - for my appointment (they work together as dentists)… he declined so I did what I “had” to do and thank god he didn’t show but his kids did :joy: I’d set rules, no drama NOTHING if one slip up they are kicked out of the wedding- remember you can cut out toxic family, it feels amazing

If you haven’t talked with them in over 3 years I’d say don’t invite them. You should only invite people to your wedding who are actively participating in you/your fiancé’s life.

Invite them so you don’t offend and cause more unwanted drama. But don’t be offended if they don’t show up.

Just remember its your day, they don’t respect that, then no invite
That’s your day so don’t care what others think, and just do you

Why worry about them? Please dont let it ruin your day and life. Those people are your past…leave it behind.

If this is how you are describing them, I would absolutely not invite them.

Why would you invite d r ama to be a part of your life…they are immature and not respe tful…

I, like you, have no relationship with my mums side of the family. They are rude horrid people, and i dont need that in my life. I wouldn’t for a secound invite them to my wedding because it would make me miserable, and your wedding day is ment to be a happy occasion. My advise, if its going to make you unhappy, on edge, anxious or worried and if theres any chance they will upset you or your day, do not invite them. There not in your life for a reason and from my experience people like that dont chanage.

Your wedding is a celebration of your love and commitment. It’s a positive day. Invite people who support that in your life. Being family doesn’t give people a pass. Surround yourself with people that will reinforce the happiness you have .

1 Like

It’s your wedding! Surround yourself with people who love you and only want the best for you. Just because they are related doesn’t mean you have to invite them like in the olden days.

It’s your wedding day, my advice would be to fill it with people who love you and support you. I don’t speak to most of my family and my husband wasn’t speaking to his family when we got married so none of them were invited. We consider our amazing friends more as family than actual blood relatives. I think if you invite them you’d be stressing about what could happen when they’re all together at your wedding. It’s not a day for a family reunion in the nicest possible way.

Do YOU want them there? If so, invite them. If not, don’t. Your wedding day is YOUR celebration. If you think they will cause a problem there, I wouldn’t bother with an invite. Also, please remember…you’re allowed to “unfriend” people if they don’t bring you peace. Even if they’re family.

1 Like

My nephew got married in Sept
2020. I was not invited to the wedding. I cried for three days.
My brother (his dad) died four years ago. Before you leave someone out be sure that there is a real good reason to do so.

Ea

The only people you should invite to YOIR wedding are the people YOU want to be there! My wedding was ruined because my father decided who was coming as he was paying for it and I had I friends of my own there only friends of his - most of whom I’d never met. Don’t feel
Pressured into anything
X

Nope because some friends in life become family more than your actual family … those who are blood related… that’s all they are.

Why give them the chance at a fresh start if they have never shown any interest in a fresh start, why risk them ruining your big day with their selfishness, Invite who you WANT to share the day with don’t risk them ruining your most special day on the off chance AFTERWARDS they might wanna act right.

Send out engagement postcards and see if they respond. If they don’t you have no obligation to invite. And just enjoy your and the rest of your life. I see no reason to ask people to watch you have a great time unless that is why they are there. Love, laugh, and enjoy your day!!! No guilt attached!

Remember that even in the wedding ceremony, it’s specified that they, as witnesses, agree to support your marriage and do what they can to keep you strong together for life.

Anyone not willing to support the marriage and make an effort to help it succeed has no business being there.

It’s your wedding. No obligation to invite anyone, family or otherwise. Invite those who are important, near and dear to you!!!

I didn’t invite anyone who wasn’t actively in my family life. Didn’t miss them then, nor have I ever missed them in my life! I pray for them often and wish them well.
It’s way too expensive to invite people who have no serious meaning in one’s life.

You’re under no obligation to invite them to your wedding However… It does seem like you kind of want to in the hopes of keeping the relationship open for the future. In that case I say go ahead and invite them! The thing is, we all have this idea in our heads of how our wedding is going to be, when it comes down to it it’s a mad rush all day long! You don’t even have time to talk to the people that you really really want to talk to, let alone the people that you don’t. If you’re having a big wedding especially, you would probably only see them for 5 minutes tops before it’s on to the next people that you need or want to talk to. Just keep it short with them and apologize saying that you have to go thank so and so, or that the wait staff has questions, or that they need help with something in the kitchen… Which will probably all really be the case anyway :woman_shrugging:

Would you invite them all out for dinner this weekend and pay for their meals? If not then no, definitely don’t invite them to your wedding because that’s basically what a wedding is, every person you invite costs you money so don’t waste money on people you don’t actually want there.

The view is always better from the high road…invite them. If they are all that you say they are , they won’t come and they proved themselves to be small minded people. If they choose to come it’s an opportunity for a reboot, and we can never have too many people in our lives in this harsh world. Whatever your choice, congratulations to you and your fiancé.

So, I got married in 2011 (finally after having to postpone it twice). The idea was to just go with a couple of witnesses and do it. My ex husbands family had hated me from the word go. They had a lot to say about us doing it quietly and his mother basically bullied me into inviting all their extended family, many of whom I didn’t know. Well various things were said and done in the lead up to the wedding, I discovered I was pregnant with our second child being one of them. It cumulated in my MIL being very rude to my friends and family on my hen night and then coming around and screaming at me at home the next day alleging that I had trapped her son by having our first child (the whole family were convinced I’d gotten pregnant on purpose… the fact that we were already living together escaped them all). Despite all this my then fiance and I wrote a message to his mum expressly stating we still wanted her at the wedding. No reply. The day came around and I even messaged his brothers asking them to come and support him as he was so down about it all. No reply. When I arrived at the register office his parents were nowhere to be seen. They never showed up. We got to the reception and the only person to make a speech was my then husband. Not one other person said a word. One by one our guests from his side of the family left and went down the road to his parents house. His brothers went around the reception saying awful things about me. And I couldn’t have a drink or make the best of a bad situation as I was 7 weeks pregnant.

You do you and what makes you happy. Do not allow anyone to dictate to you about your special day. Believe me the stress isn’t worth it.

Happily divorced and away from that toxic bunch now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good luck xx

Don’t invite them , it’s your wedding, you don’t owe anything to anyone

Don’t invite. It’s your day. You don’t need toxic negative people there.

Good advice from Joan😊

Invite them any way and if some come thank them and go on if not forget them and live your life

Invite your Dad out of respect.

No! Negative people are never an asset, move on

I would invite them but seat them in the worst place at the venue and be sure they are served something that they will not like.

Point blanket and simple
NO