How to potty train a boy?

I put my 3 yr old boy in training underwear it took a few days b4 he stopped peeing in his underwear. I know you said treats didn’t work but for the #2 we used fiber gummies. He just might be scared mine was at first but after the fiber gummies it softened and helped him not be so scared.

I had little books for my son and a stool for his feet. It helps them feel more balanced and secure so they can relax. I would set a timer about 45 minutes after he would eat and he would sit and “read” his books for about 30 minutes and by then he would have pooped. And as for potty you gotta make him go every 20-30 minutes. The Dr even suggested letting him run around naked so he could feel it and be more aware, but we never did that. You could also buy the little frog urinal that is on Amazon to make it fun

Well with my son we put a little coffee can beside the toilet. He would pee in it and dump it in the toilet. We did this until he was used to the big toilet. He was always afraid of falling in :joy:

Send the boy in to the bathroom with there father,works every time

1 Like

I tried with my 3 year old son for months on and off because he would just pee in his underwear so I’d wait a couple weeks try again wait and try wait and try and eventually he just told me when he wanted to go it was a couple months before he turned 4 until he was actually going by himself or letting me know he had to go.

Have you got the smaller seat that sits on the toilet? The big size of the toilet is intimidating for children, I know my daughter didn’t like it.

1 Like

My son is turning 4 in 2 weeks and when they say make sure they are ready, make sure they are ready. Forcing them makes them scared and they will regress. I potted trained him in October and he did good for a month, he regressed for 2 months, and he’s getting back on the “big boy” train (Huggies pullup commercial) and he still won’t poop in the toilet. So rather than forcing him to poop in the toilet, I tell him he better poop in the pull-up because the characters on the underwear will get sick (also they are his favorite characters so that helps). But I used the 3 day potty training both times.b

He may not be completely ready. Just stay in routine & he will get it eventually. I had 3 boys & they take awhile. Try offering a new toy he wants if he doesn’t have an accident for a month… but don’t sweat it, he won’t be 13 & wearing pull-ups, though it seems like it takes forever lol

1 Like

I got my son a urinal that attached to our toilet he didnt like the potty but used that

i had same issue till i got mine on prek and he was potty trained in 2 weeks. night time he had pullups on till cpl weeks ago and hell be 5 in nov

With my boys it was like a switch finally clicked and they were ready.

1 Like

Wait for him to be ready :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Since you say he’ll go when you put him on it…start a timer…every 30 minutes, try to get him to go. Then you’ll learn his routine and be able to stretch that time out. Honestly he’ll poop when hes ready and trusts the porcelain throne.

Make a game out of it,put Cheerios in commode and when he goes,shoot the Cheerios,worked for mine

3 Likes

Then you consistently put him on the potty every 30 mins to an hour until he consistently tells you he has to go potty

He may not be ready yet, he will go when he is. Just dont force it or make it a negative thing. Just mention or ask everyday if he would like to try the potty. He will go eventually

2 Likes

My son is 3 and just started potty training about maybe a month ago and he stays completely dry all day now. Only wears pull ups for sleeping or long car rides. What we tried was, I put him in boxers/underwear then set a timer for every 30 min and took him to the potty. The first time he didn’t pee, he ended up peeing on himself a little after that. Cleaned him up and restarted the timer, then he actually went pee in the potty. He didn’t always want to go to the potty but I still took him to it. We repeated this for 3 days. He had maybe 2-3 accidents. On the second day, he started telling me he had to pee and he would go. Now he just says “mommy I need to pee” and before I say anything he runs to the potty. Sometimes he doesn’t tell me at all and just goes straight to the potty. We struggle a bit with pooping on the potty but he’s done it.

Try the potty watch. Super inexpensive and worth it

I did a “potty beeper”. Set a timer for every 20 minutes at first and if he didn’t want to sit I made it go off again right after and I’d say the beeper is angry and won’t stop until you try. So he’d try. I also did chocolate for the bribe. And printed pictures off the internet for poop bribes. But he was 2 when I started and he had 4 full regressions before he was 3.

I’m going to paint a bullseye on the grass out front of my porch

I actually toss a few froot loops into the bowl and have them aim. Make a game out of it.

2 Likes

He will when hes ready

2 Likes

It took forever to potty train my boy because his sister who was 4 at the time swore up and down that she used to have a wee-wee too, until she peed in the potty, then it fell off. My 2 year old boy wasn’t having any of that! :smiley:

11 Likes

My son was 2 when he potty trained

1 Like

I put a handful of cheerios in the toilet and told him to aim and hit the cheerios… made it a game with prizes…

1 Like

I started my son at 18 months. Put undies on him. Would have him sit on potty every half hour or if I saw him starting to get fidgety. He was fully potty trained by 2. Popsicles helped and a little treat each time he went. Also I flushed his :poop: down the toilet and would say bye bye and wave. All 3 of my kids were potty trained by age 2 and weirdly my son was the easiest lol.

I can’t get my 3 year old grandson, that lives with me, potty trained either…and I’ve done the same thing… #wishingpottytrainingwaseasy

We had a “pee ball” that floated in the toilet and the game was to be able to hit the ball with the pee. Worked like a charm and the other just followed with lots of praise.

Young one - this is a skill that you as the parent need patience- he will eventually come around - take him in once an hour - if you do it even when he’s involved with activities- always prompting what you are doing - he will eventually tell you he doesn’t have to. Poop will come along to. Sometimes parents will have to get a little potty to make the kids feel less intimidated and/or give them “their personal “ potty.:v:t4::rose:

My son would run pee when he had to but refused to poop on the potty until he was almost four. And needed help wiping his butt until he was 6. Every kid is ready at a different time so don’t beat yourself up if it isn’t going great. Get him some undies with characters he likes and if he soils them tell him they will have to go in the garbage and he will be sad about it. When he does well you can praise him with sweets and stickers. I used m&ms and a sticker potty chart. Good luck!

My son was closer to 4 before he ever had an interest. And the more I pushed the more he’d dig his heels in about it. One day he woke up and went to the potty and went like he’d been doing it all his life. No accidents after that day. It’s something they have to decide to do and until then you’re just butting heads.
Maybe an older guy relative he looks up to can kinda make it sound like a cool thing? Little dudes in my experience just wanna be a big man so it always helped me to have my husband mention things.

2 Likes

He might not be ready yet. Try again in a few months. My son only really started somewhere between 3 and 3.5 years old I think. Went from refusing to go pee or poo to consistently wearing underwear including at night with no accidents. The only accidents he seems to have are if he’s running to the bathroom and doesn’t make it in time or if he’s too busy watching/playing something, but that’s not overly often.

The method we used when he was ready was having him to to the bathroom every half an hour or so until he I guess learned the feeling when he needs to pee. I think it took a long weekend to fully get that down and then just being consistent afterwards.

We committed to it sat him on the potty every half hour the same way the kinder does it, took 2 days and he had the hang of it himself

YOU being ready doesn’t mean HE is

3 Likes

I have 4 boys and I potty trained them all at 2 by using my phone and lollipops. They got to use my phone when on the potty (which gave them motive to tell me they needed to go or atleast sit and wait until they actually did go) and the lollipop for when/if they actually went in it.

I had the same problem. When I brought it up, his Doctor told me to stop making a big deal over it and he will go when he’s ready.
Best. Advice. Ever.
Two months later and my boy was peeing and pooping in the big potty!
Relax mama. He is in control of this. He will go when he’s ready.

1 Like

My son was interested in riding the bus and going to school. I told him “only big boys get to ride the bus.” He potty trained himself in 1 week. :joy: now if anyone knows of ways I can train my daughter- that would be much appreciated. :joy:
Me: wanna go sit on the potty?
Her: no.
Me: why not?
Her: acause’ I not.
:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Just go straight to underwear. Don’t use pull ups except for naps and bedtime

1 Like

Toss some Cheerios in the toilet & have him practice trying to sink them when he pees … Watch closely & you’ll catch him when he needs to poop - put him backwards on the toilet so he doesn’t feel like he’s going to fall in :+1:

I told my son he wasn’t getting a birthday party if he couldn’t be potty trained by his bday and his ass was a week later :joy:

My son is turning 4 in September and we have just started getting him to poop on the toilet, maybe try getting a comfortable seat for the toilet for him. Ask every so often if he has to poop/pee and make sure you are praising/rewarding each time he goes this has helped with potty training my son, keep reminding him that he isn’t going to be in pull-ups for ever and that he needs to eventually learn how to go on the toilet. Have you tried a potty? Some parents will allow their kids to go naked and they eventually pick up the potty is where they need to go

I had to train my 10 year old by drinking water then sitting on the toilet once he went he was fine he was just scared my 3 year old I had to leave him with no diaper and he hated that feeling and he hated showers so he got the hang of it with those two things

Put him on potty every 30 minutes Consistently for at least 15 minutes I put my boys on on the toilet every 30 minutes minutes for at least 15 minutes I had 2 potty chairs 1 for whatever room we were in we’re in and one in the bathroom Within a couple of weeks they where potty trained

You have to commit to a schedule of putting him on the potty every hour for a few minutes. Many start the potty training process at two.

I know every single kid is different but this worked for me with every kid. Long shirt and nothing else. When there is nothing to catch the pee. they feel wet running down the leg their muscles tighten.
It only took a few time for them to recognize it’s stops the pee. Then just learning how and when to use the potty takes no time at all.

2 Likes

Neither of my sons would go through potty training.

Son number one, age 3 was out in the pasture with my husband and had to go to the bathroom - my dh showed him how to go on a tree because it was too far to get to the house. He was potty trained at that point, of course he also wanted to go outside and pee on a tree when he had to go to the bathroom :joy:

Second son age 3, babysitter said he needed more diapers so I said sure I’ll bring them tomorrow. He told us that he was potty trained. That’s all it took - he had two accidents at night after that point.

2 Likes

He may not be ready yet! Dont force it!

I agree… he’s not interested yet and therefore i don’t think he’s ready yet either… my youngest wasnt ready till he was almost 4… i think you need to leave it be for a bit…

1 Like

Some boys aren’t ready until 5 or 7 years old too if they show no interest in the potty they aren’t ready and trying to force them will make them not want to use it more

Easiest way is to do it in the summer …that way they in basketball shorts and can easily take it out …mine did it at 2years…made it easy to feel he has to do the deed

They sell this little Porta-Potty on Amazon they come in different shapes of animals, Frogz, pandas, sharks and in the middle of it has like a little spinny thing so when he pees it’s like a Target I guess. Lol my son loved it and was fully potty-trained by the time he was 3. I mean like fully potty-trained no Pull-Ups for night time no accidents no nothing. But also you have to remember that every child is different so she might just not like to make pottty yet.

For boys…a hand full of Cheerios in the water and have him sink them. Works great if Dad shows him how. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

put a pile of his favorite books next to the potty and hopefully you can coordinate the appropriate timing for #2 and reading.

Froot loop in toilet
Aim & kill. Or option to sit. I hade frozen yogurt as rewsrd

When my son was two, he had chicken pox and a broken collar bone. So, I decided it was a perfect time to work on potty training also…LOL! I actually combined two strategies. First, so I bought him some “big boy” underwear with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (his favorite characters) on them. Second, I made tiny paper boats and floated them in the potty. Between trying to sink the boats and not wanting to hurt the turtles by peeing on them, he was instantly potty trained.

1 Like

Honestly I think the best advice anyone can give you is to just keep trying. Kids will do these things in their own time. You’ve got the right idea! Just keep going with it. One day it will just click.

1 Like

With my nephew was potty training we threw cheerios in the toilet and told him to sink them. He thought it was a game and constantly wanted to play. It worked.

I would take my son to the potty frequently at first to get him use to it, and I would read him a story book or sing to him while he sat on the potty. If he did something in the potty I would clap and praise him for what he had done and would give him M&M’s for using the potty. I got a kids bubble gum machine and filled it with M&M’s. So when he went potty he would get to push the button while holding his hand out for his treat. He was potty trained in 3 days at age 2. He loved our time of reading and singing and of course the M&M’s.

So it literally took me 3 days after last Halloween to potty train my son to go #2. For a week prior I kept telling him no more diaper or pulls. (Only wore them for pooping and bedtime) well he was already learned how to pee on the toilet, sitting down and standing up. Well my son always tells me when he needs to go poop so what i did was hide all diaper and pull ups from him. I kept telling him we dont have any and he needs to poop on the big boy potty. So after him holding it for a couple of hours and after sitting him down multiple times on toilet. He finally went by himself and get everything ready to finally go poop. His toilet seat hangs on the wall and he has a stool he uses to climb up on the big toilet. I just gotta get him used to wiping himself after :poop:ing.

My son asks me to go poop now. he gets so excited each time. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I told my son he couldn’t go to school… (pre-school) or turn 3… lol :grimacing: until he went on the potty ALL the time… cause 3 yr olds don’t wear pull ups… it worked…

I’ve never had boys but I had a friend who put cheerios in the toilet and made a game out of it

It just takes time and patience

Throw a few cheerios in the toilet and tell him to aim for it make it fun like a game.

Don’t force it and just wait until he’s ready. My son is 3 and isn’t fully potty trained either.

A lot of people say “oh he should be potty trained by now” “you’re doing so and so wrong”. I don’t really care about other people’s opinions on my son. Not their kid, none of their business.

Every child develops at a different pace. If he’s not ready, he’s not ready, don’t force it.