How to potty train a boy?

I had the same issue with my daughter. She knew when she had to go but just refused to use the toilet. Until she saw her little cousin use it in front of her. Then it just clicked! She wanted to do it too and was potty trained ever since then

We did the rewards for potty training, after awhile it stopped working, my son is 3 and its still a process, still has accidents here and there, some kids are scared to poop in the toilet, but the few times my son actually pooped in the toilet me or his dad sat in the bathroom with and it takes time, when he dies he tell him what a good job he did ect, no more rewards, peeing has been the easiest but at first potty training was very difficult, it noticed if we had him sit and pee he didnt want to ao now he does pretty good at standing even though some gets on the seat. Sometimes they dont want to stop what they are doing to go to the bathroom, which then you have to actually tell them its potty time and walk them to a bathroom. And when he does poop in his pants if its not super bad, obviously change them and soak them in cold water for a bit and wash them. No stains, until he is fully potty trained throwing out undies ect will be costly cause then u have to keep buying new ones. When he does have accidents explain that if he needs to go he has to use the potty and stuff, i dont scream at my son if he has a accident i talk to him about it. All in all potty training takes a lot of time and patience and a schedule.

Maybe let him pick out some underwear that he really likes and a cool toy that he can only play with when he’s on the pot?

Just keep on teaching him, he will do it when’s he’s ready but at least you are creating that habit and memory for him.

He’s not ready yet. He will in his own time poop in the potty.

All of my eight sons were potty trained by the age of two!

Give him washable markers. Sit him on toilet facing the back of seat & let him draw & color. Then just wipe it off… it worked for a few people I know

We did the bare bum trick at home, until he became comfortable with his functions and eliminating his bowels on the toilet, he had no excuses if he was playing he had to stop and run to the toilet and each time we praised him and showered his chart in stickers and gave him candy. After that he was regularly going the same time everyday and comfortable knowing when he had to go and where to do it and he would just do it all the time with undies on. Super long process and be prepared for set backs and don’t make to big a deal of them.

Dad shows how or ge goes in with mom on his pot and copies

At 2 1/2 I asked my son every day if he was ready to be a big boy and wear big boy underwear. Every day for about 2 weeks he said No. One day he said yes he was ready and that’s all it took, I told him big boys don’t potty in their pants and he never did. I was lucky!!

Use the seat for the bigger potty and tell him that’s for bigger loads than pee.

He’s not ready yet. Also when he is ready you will need to wipe him. That part will take a little longer also.

One of my children believed holding it long enough would result in never having to go again…find out if there is a “plan” on his part

Try giving your child a book to look at and sit your child on the potty. Take a book with you and sit on the toilet at the same time. Empty your bowels while looking at your book and take as much time as you can. Act as though it is a happy time for you. Don’t tell your child anything about him or her about pooping. Just keep acting as though it is a happy time. I believe your child will follow your example.

Might sound gross but have you let him see you do it. All mine were potty trained, with exception of night time, by the time they were 18 months. Make it a game. I used cheerios in the potty for aiming target for peeing

he is almost 3 what are talking about when yousay hes not old enough he old enough at 2 to begin imnot changing a 3 year old unless he has a medical problem

Can a male take him to the toilet ? Copy me son grandson ??

Patience and show how much you love him just give him time, but please don’t punish him

He is not ready. Boys take longer. Stop with the punishments!!!

It really will happen…YOU be patient!

First i tried potty training my son around 20 months. It didn’t work lol, I constantly went back and forth with diapers. On his 2nd birthday i just completely took diapers away and never went back. After few accidents he just kinda potty trained himself. Within 3, 4 days he was fully potty trained. I found that potty training with any kind of diapers still on was confusing for him. I still let him sleep in diapers at night tho, but took him out of those a little before 3. He is 4 now and has maybe 1 or 2 accidents per year at night. I still suggest to every parent to not offer any diapers to them once they are set on potty training. Kids are gonna figure it out on their own, they are smarter than we give them credit for.

Our son was 3 1/2 before he was ready. We tried potty training and he proceeded to pee on the floor right in front of us. So it was a no go

He decided when his sis was an infant that he didn’t want to wear diapers anymore and there was no training. It was just decided by him

Our older daughter decided before she was two that she wasn’t wearing them

Our youngest by far was once of those that just ran around naked downstairs at home. It worked great for her as she hated the feeling of pee on her. She still wore diapers I when necessary but got to the point that she was a big girl in her words

Patience, boys are slower

My friend told her kids everyone got candy when the youngest used the potty. Siblings had him trained in like 4 days

Let him sh*t in your garden. It’s good fertilizer.

Growing up, I was afraid of flushing toilets, used to have nightmares I’d flush a family member down the toilet, potty training for me growing up was terrifying :joy::sweat_smile: I just let my boys start to poop when they wanted, however I have to limit my oldest (7y/o) gaming time, cause he will get so into gaming that he will literally poop himself. He doesn’t get to game often, but when he does…

Go back to square 1, go back to 0 expectations. Stop making it a big deal and stop making a big deal over it. When he does go wees or have a bowel motion be like cool man let’s go flush it away and clean it up leave it at that and carry on.

I would ask if he had to go potty literally every 10 minutes. And then id make it a game id say oh no go go go and run to the toilet. Sometimes id catch him about to go hed hold hisself or stand still and id do the same thing just run him to the bathroom and sit him on the toilet… Dont get mad or frustrated but whenever he does it on hisself tell him that hes a big boy and he needs to go to the toilet. When my son would use the bathroom on hisself i still made him go sit on the toilet for a couple minutes always telling him the same thing. He was potty trained by 2 and like 4 months. By 3 he was telling me when he had to go and was able to hold it if we where out and didnt have any accidents. Hes still 3 and i just got him learning how to pee standing up. For me its how tf do i show him to wipe his own butt lol

We had the Fisher Price potty that had the crown in the book and it made a special sound when he pooped and it really helped cuz he’d run in there 20 times a day and when we got the sound ta da daaaaah when he made a poop it was a big party he had brothers and sisters though which helped and of course we all ran to the bathroom 20 times a day so he got lots of attention for pooping… I’m the mother of three boys to this day they would stay on the toilet half the day if they could it’s their favorite place… It’ll happen it takes tons of energy and it’s a family effort if you’re alone it must be really tough.

Try putting a treat basket next to the toilet. Buy him a big boy toilet seat and when he goes give him a sucker, a tattoo, a small toy from the dollar store. Worked with my great granddaughter. Or make him clean his dirt underware himself. It stopped my friends son in a jiffy. He did not like it and decided it should go on the toilet not his pants.

He wanted to use the toilet like Daddy. He got m&m peanuts when he used the toilet. He was potty trained young. I heard some single Moms use squirt guns to teach boys.

Buy toilet step n take him to toilet every cpl hours like a big boy

No matter how hard it seems how about making him clean up after himself and touch that mess, It might work

Offer him one M&M!!! That’s all it took for both of mine. Bribery does work!

He will poop in the potty when he’s ready, just like the rest of us

Consult a pediatrician. FB is not a free medical clinic!

Kids are weird… They literally learn it when they want to. Multiple children from same parents… Having different timings tells me this… When they want to they will… Little assholes…

Lots of words of encouragement and then patience on your part. For example, with mine I couldn’t tell you how many times I’d be changing a diaper and I’d just constantly remind them that “hey! If you do this on the potty instead of your pants, you won’t have to wear diapers anymore!” “You’d REALLY be a big boy then!” … things along those lines will get them putting a little extra thought into the idea of it. But definitely keep it all positive though, & I would refrain from punishment. Pooping is a big deal for little ones who are learning, ever notice they go through a stage where they will crawl or hide behind furniture or whatever to dirty up their diaper? Consistency, encouragement, & patience!

Kids aren’t ready until they can follow a three part instruction out of sight…and come back. Example: Son, go get Mommies brush off my dresser and bring it to me, please.

We just told them they stunk and it was icky… made them dip their poo poo undies in the toilet to wash. ( Of course wash thoroughly after ) Then praised them with accomplishment. Talked while helping them wash . Never angry. Just positive and keep trying

Please don’t punish him for not pooping in toilet. That’s terrible. I had same issue. I was told mostly likely it was due to hurting and being scared. Ease up. Keep positive reinforcements and let nature take it’s course. In the mean time maybe feed him some more fiber to loosen him up a bit. But please, some kids just train differently and shouldn’t be punished. It could be psychological. :disappointed:

Be patient, obviously, your child is not yet ready for that step.
It will come soon.
Stay positive.

I was very fortunate that my second one potty trained himself in one day!

patience. it will come.

Let him pee on the dog lol

Amanda Wayne Did you write this? I hope it’s moving along for Grayson.

Say, that’s too bad. I am no longer going to clean you up. I’m using the hose ( shower wand works even better). Peel off poopy pants and start spraying. No warm water. I held onto one arm while I rinsed him off. I stayed calm and positive. I said things like “almost done”, “ I don’t like cleaning you up either”. “Here’s a towel, dry yourself off”. Then leave. They get the message. Only did that twice and never had to do it again. No praise for doing it right, except saying “ that feels much better, doesn’t it. “

Stick his nose in like you train dog might work

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train a boy? - Mamas Uncut

I used to put Fruit Loops in the toilet and tell my son to aim at the targets. Worked like a charm! Then follow up with a small reward :blush:

2 Likes

Im having the same issue!!! Any advice is helpful :weary:

1 Like

Fruit loops, pick a color & aim lol

2 Likes

I believe they’ll potty train when they are ready. My pediatrician always said don’t force it.

4 Likes

My son was 4 1/2 when he finally potty trained. He wasn’t easy at all. He had two older sisters so I personally think they scared him :rofl::woman_facepalming:t3: but it got to the point where I asked him if he just wanted to potty outside and he did. He finally got use to peeing outside and once it got cold I told him he needed to try the inside potty. He took it it quickly and the pooping in the potty went with it too thankfully!!

1 Like

Let him pee outside. That’s how I started my twins

2 Likes

I went through this with my son u just have too keep doing it eventually they will just do it themselves bc its routine n they will figure out if they pee n poop in the toilet then no more squishy diapers now mine is fully potty trained during the day just working on night time

My son had no interest in potty training when he was wearing diapers/pull ups, etc. I litterally told him he needed to be a big boy now and use the toilet, let him choose his very own big boy boxers (I bought padded fabric ones so it holds a little pee/poop but still give the uncomfortable feeling of sitting in wet pair of underwear) and took him to try every 30 minutes fo the first couple days, by a week we had no accidents, and he wad going to the toilet all by himself. We skipped the potty he downright refused to try it so we go him his very own special seat to go on the toilet which helped too, every day without accidents we let him choose a treat from the sweet box as reward. It worked for us

Let him run around naked. Worked for all 4 of mine, boys & girls. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Well if u have tried it all try punishment. Going to the potty is not a choice. He has to learn to go to school. You do not want him being 4 or 5 refusing to use the potty. Time out, taking away his favorite thing or even banning tv untill he uses the potty.

9 Likes

I have a 3 year old, almost 4 in October. I had the same issue! I tried everything. Potty treats, his dad tried the fruit loops thing…nothing worked. But last weekend, he just went into the bathroom (on his own) and used it and now he is going each time! He actually cries now if he has an accident. We finally had to stop asking him to go, we can’t even stand in the bathroom with him while he goes…he says he needs his “privacy” lol but he goes each time. I think we were just pushing him too hard. My advice is…don’t push him or rush him, he will decide when he’s had enough of the diapers and he will go when hes ready :blush:

4 Likes

Just keep trying, he will start doing it when he’s ready. Try not to stress over it too much. Just take him to the potty every so often and have him try to go. Reward him and make a big deal out of it when he does go on the potty! :clap:t2::tada: He will catch on and be doing it all by himself before you know it! :grin:

I was having the same issue, and I decided when my son is ready he will let me know he is ready. A few months before he turned four he told me that he didn’t want to wear a diaper at night. Ever since then we have been diaper less, and he has not had a single accident. I think the fact that I also let him pick out his own underwear was a contributing factor.

1 Like

A sugar free candy every time mine would go and two for #2 he was highly motivated by treats. Within a week no more problems, worked great :blush: also let him be naked because when in a diaper it’s too easy for them to sneak and go.

1 Like

Don’t force it. When he’s ready he will tell you. My son acted like he was dying when I put him on the potty so I stopped. A few months later he said mommy I want to use the potty now. And it took two weeks and he was wearing underwear all day and all night. He has had a couple of accidents but all kids do. I say just let him go at his own speed and in the summer let him start peeing outside to get started!

1 Like

I’m also here to say fruit loops! Made it an aim game & it worked great with my 2 boys. Now pooping was another story we basically had to pay them off to do that. We made a little treasure box with little toys & candy like teachers do in some classes & every time they pooped they got to pick something from the box.

Working on potty training myself. I have been told to let him be outside naked… but dad put his foot down on that one. He will sit on the toilet but never go.

1 Like

I used m&m or kisses for my daughter, had to stop because she’d just pretend to get the candy. She didn’t learn pooping until it happened in the backyard from watching the dogs do it too . Too handfuls full of poop she was so proud to show me she did it on her own
smh

I tried everything with mine, then I let him run around outside naked (in the backyard) he started peeing and it got on his feet and his leg and he HATED it. We still have an accident or 2 during the day and wear pull-ups at night but it’s way better. He’s 4 1/2

I got a potty training watch (not the one that looks like a potty) for my daughter and it has done wonders

1 Like

I let my son pee on the trees out side in our private backyeard then when he got that down, I put a leaf in the toilet and told him to “Shoot the leave” and it worked. With poopoo he would fuss and cry, but I put him on the potty and gave him a book and told him to “feed the sharks and alligators” and it worked. (He thought Alligators and sharks lived in the septic tank and survived off of human waste… he was 1.5-2 years old… I wasn’t going to correct him at that moment. Lol he’s now 6 and knows the truths)

2 Likes

My Grammy and mom would put Cheerios in the toilet 🤷 it seemed to work well for my brother and I did this for my son too. :joy:

Have you tried showing him how to pee standing up? Either outside on a tree or with cheerios inside the toilet for him to aim at? I was in the same boat as you so frustrated my son knew when and how but we were struggling til I had him pee outside standing up one day and that was the game changer!

1 Like

I have a grandson turned 3 last October, I set a timer for every 25minutes & he goes potty. He too will only pee, been at this since his birthday. Still will only pee. So I’ll be following too I will say his Dr told us to be consistent with it. Dr said don’t punish them if they don’t go.

I don’t personally have boys. BUT, I worked in the 18 -2.5 ur old room at a daycare for years !! We would use the cheerios or fruit loops and told them to “shoot” the cheerios! They loved doing it cause it was like a game to them.

I used the iPad/tablet. He was only allowed to have it while he sat on potty and tried to poop. It took some time before he got the idea but because he wanted tablet he would at least sit there longer to get the feel.

My son was the same age and the same way. We got him to potty train by letting him pee in the yard. He would get excited and run for the back door when he had to go. But he would still hide and poop in his pants. We eventually told him that he couldn’t pee outside when we weren’t at home, he would have to use the potty. It worked, before we knew it, he was peeing and pooping on the potty. And we celebrated every time.

If you’re not in a place where he can pee off the back porch, make it a game. When you take him to the bathroom, let him throw 2-3 fruit loops in the toilet and then tell him to aim for them. Bet him that he can’t pre on the blue one… or whatever. When he does, celebrate.

For the pooping, like I said, even after we got peeing down, he would run and hide and poop in his pants. I’d keep a close eye on him. If I saw him trying to hide, I’d snatch him up and run for the toilet. I also took him out and let him buy his own big boy undies. Once we figured out that he knew when he had to go, I told him that he had to tell me, because if he went in his big boy undies, we would have to throw them away…. And we did, more than once. He was so upset. That encouraged him to tell me when he had to poo.

When I potty trained my stepson I made him go every 20 minutes

Not sure if it will work with a boy, but with my daughter, we were under isolation so I let her run around naked and we did potty training. Took her every 20 minutes and would sit on the floor and play patty cake until she peed or would poop. If she would poop, we did a high five, cookie and a dance party

I have no experience fully potty training boys but I had this same problem with my daughter. My only advice I can offer is don’t force him. It will make him scared of the toilet. And if he does have an accident POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE reinforcements! “It’s okay! We all have accidents. Let’s just try to make it to the potty next time a little faster!” Try not to raise your voice it can get frustrating momma but gotta keep it a positive thing! And if it does get frustrating try not to show him that you’re upset with him. And always remember you’re doing the best that you possibly can and all kids are different. when you have a bag of popcorn not all the kernels pop at the same time or same pace! Keep it positive and keep strong. You got this momma💙

My son had a special “pee” rock 🪨 outside!! He loved to see the splash when he’d hit it! (We live in the COUNTRY, nobody around) he was 5 yrs old & we’re at the lake & I look over & (he’s in his own little world) he’s on the pier, swim trunks down to his knee’s, just a giggling’ out loud watching his pee splash in the lake ! Now he’s 33 & that special pee rock 🪨 has “special” place at his house!!!

PRICELESS :heart:

1 Like

My fiance would bring the little white potty in the living room and make him sit there watching potty training videos for like 30 mis at a time lol and then when he finally did go in the potty we made a huge deal about it and it eventually worked.
Now he’s 6 and just need to wipe his butt correctly. :woman_facepalming: lmao
Goodluck

I’m a mom of three boys. Honestly my 3rd one was the toughest to potty train but loved playing outside. I would put underwear on him and let him pre outside it was like he was terrified of the toilet. When he is inside I let him pee in the bathtub. Pooping will take a little longer but constantly ask and take him in the bathroom. It took me about two weeks on consistently doing this and he was finally good with being a big boy he is now almost four

Wait til the nice weather and have him run around the yard naked and once he pees, make a HUGE deal about it with a prize but also go straight to underwear… Skip the pull ups

My son was 4 years and 6 months. He was very difficult. I joined a potty training for boys support group on Facebook and a lot of people were suggesting to just take the diapers. So one morning he got up and we took his pull up off and didn’t put another one on. We told him we only had them at night time. So he went naked with just a shirt on. I set an alarm on my phone for every 30 minutes and called it the “potty alarm”. He got to where he would run to the potty as soon as he heard the alarm and on day 2 we started letting him wear underwear. and on day 4 we stopped the alarm and he just kept going on his own. I was worried to death because he was 4 and 1/2 and I was afraid something was wrong. But they really do go when they’re ready.

Put him on toilet every 2 hrs…dont ask just say were going on the toilet now

1 Like

Put fruit loops in the toilet tell him too pee on them

My son had no problem. We put cheerios in his potty chair we bought him Elmo potty time book and video. Since Elmo was his favorite he actually listened. Pooping was kinda easy. Be consistent with him. Always praise him going. Never shame him for accidents

A 4 ye should should be ready I’m with Deb every 2 hr there attention span is not that long and their bladders are not developed completely yet so if you get him on a schedule and then when he poops in his pants say this is nasty it’s icky you help mommy clean you up so he realizes that it is a nasty job make a chart and every time he goes give him a sticker and he gets so many stickers he gets to pick something to do like go get an ice cream have extra time playing or take him to the store to buy something special the dollar store five below pull ups are expensive and let him go to the store and pick out panties that he would like

I’ve had 4 boys and I put a few cheerios in toilet and told them to try shooting them lol

1 Like

My second son was so difficult with potty training. I ended up putting him backwards ( facing the tank ) bc he was bored. So he would use dry erase markers on the lid and wait lol.
My third son is also difficult and he’s 3 too. He withholds his poop bc he refuses to potty train :roll_eyes:
Routine and repetition

Just like a puppy, keep putting him on the toilet.

My son potty trained himself but my daughter was like this and the only thing that worked was a spanking for a wet/dirty pull up or underwear. Can only be so nice for so long when they are blatantly refusing that’s a behavioral issue.

14 Likes

My son is the same. He is 3 and he is fully day trained to pee. He refuses to poo in potty tho. He knows he has to go because he tells me he does and asks for a diaper. He will only poo during day at daycare. Not at home. And he still wears diapers at night. We aren’t ready for that yet !

I let mine pee outside and he was fully trained within 2 weeks

3 Likes

I say don’t push it he’ll let you know when he’s ready cause he’ll just start using the restroomI started training my son when he was three it was a problem so I stopped he’s gonna be five this year and he’s been fully potty train for about a good four months now that’s no bed wetting during the night I just noticed when I used to push my son to use the potty he was not interested in it he didn’t wanna do it he would cry yell all he wanted was his diaper but the moment I stoped stop pushing him to do it about a week later he just started doing it on his own.

I kept a kids potty in the living room (whatever room y’all spend the most time in) and let them go naked, took one or 2 times of having an accident before they learned I also only have girls

I potty trained both my boys at the same time and all I did was let them run naked for w few days and sat them on the potty a few times and they started to get it for peeing but pooping I had to watch for signs and get them to the potty this took time and it took more work then peeing but they got the hang of it after a few times of me putting them on the toilet before the went … it’s took me probably 3 weeks bc I did two weeks of running naked then one week of them wearing underwear to show them they needed to still use the potty even tho they had underwear on a few accidents but they got it I feel it takes more patience with boys my girls it took a week and they had it down but my boys they didn’t wanna at first and it took me 3 times with potty training the first two I tried charts I tried treats and toy prizes and they wouldn’t even try but this third time I just took pull ups and diapers away and stuck to watching and letting them go naked and it just worked.way better for them then charts and stuff

Following bc I have the same dilemma! Except I refuse to get one of those chairs… No way am I cleaning that thing and to many germ!!!

Do they still make something called Peter Potty? Stand up plastic urinal for the home…was the best thing ever

We put a water proof sticker in the bottom of the toilet when my son was little and made it a game to pee on it. It worked for us