How to potty train boys?

We put Cheerios in the toilet and make it fun for him. See how many Cheerios he can hit :joy: Lol

2 Likes

Train them exactly how you train girls. Make them sit. They will figure out the other way when they get older.

Put underwear on him and let him pee outside

l Get paid over $109 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16803 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarProfits1575.pages.dev/

He knows the concept. He will do it on his own when he’s ready.

1 Like

Put Cheerios in the toilet and tell them to aim for it that’s how I got my son to toilet train :gift_heart::gift_heart:

Let him pick out his own big boy underwear

Pee & poop chart, one star for pee, 2 for poop. X number of stars in a week or a day gets a small prize: sticker, crayon, goldfish cracker, stay up an extra 15 minutes, bubble bath vs regular, chose Friday night pizza toppings or movie, or breakfast, lunch or dinner main dish.

What incentivized my son was he couldn’t ride the little school bus to day care until he was potty trained. Even then there were accidents, but they can be stubborn little buggers!

Potty watch. It’s a timer that can be set for 30,60, or 90 minutes. They wear it like a watch and it beeps to remind them to go to the bathroom.

l Get paid over $116 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18751 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://IncomeGreat640.pages.dev/

Only thing worked for my son up in till last 2 months before school was sleeping naked didn’t want to pee or poop on himself. Underwear during the day time out if went on himself reward every single time went to bathroom. Peeing outside on a tree helped he thought it was funny

Not ready. Wait until they want to

1 Like

Twins are hard. My grandbabies were.

Put cheerios in toilet n let him aim. Make a game out of it

1 Like

Had my son pee In a can . That’s how pm trainedy.brother ans it worked

Just give them some more time.

Why is it that three years old is the famous age to potty train boys.

Boys just inherently take longer.

1 Like

yrs ago it was at 2 we trained our kids.

My pediatrician told me start in the winter, cuz their less busy bodies LOL!! Personally I bought a Winnie the Pooh toilet for lots $$$ n it sang or played music n said great job every time u flushed it, but he only got to flush it when he actually went n ofcourse we cheered n were so PROUD​:purple_heart::blue_heart::green_heart:

Get him hero underwear and tell him they do not like it if they get wet or messy

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train boys?

Try putting pamper on backwards it worked for my son and daughter but they didn’t potty train til about 3yrs

1 Like

It’s just like training a girl lol. You take the child to the potty every 45 minutes to a hour and watch the cues. Train him sitting down then gradually teach him how to stand and aim in the toilet. Put cheerios or something in the water and tell him to aim at those. Also give sticker rewards each time he goes. Put the pampers on backwards or put him in pajamas with the zipper but put it backwards and if it’s too hot cut the legs off and make the legs like shorts and sleeves like short sleeve. Consistency is the number 1 rule. Also you can duct tape around the pamper also but not on his skin just the pamper only to where he can’t take it off either.

My boys didn’t train until they were 3.

They show the same cues as a girl. I have both and my son was easier than my girl. My son was fully trained including nights by 2.5, my daughter is 2.5 and hasn’t even started training.

My boy did this I learned to put pants on him until he learned he could take both off

Uh I guess it’s easier that I’m the only girl and my boy has been watching 3 older men/ boys in my home go potty so he kinda just picked it up one day still needs training but he’s getting good at it even doesn’t go poo in his pullup anymore

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train boys?

20 months is very young for reliable potty training. But saying that there is nothing wrong with sitting him on the potty when he is there with you and if pees in the potty give tons of praise. Usually they will start telling you when they need to be changed as a sign of potty training.

1 Like

Mother of 5 boys here. Boys are HARD. Generally, 2 1/2 is the absolute earliest - anything earlier will be frustrating for both of you. Once he’s dry during the night, I’d start. Let him watch daddy or some male mentor.

1 Like

I tried to potty train both my boys when they were about 2 n a half. (That’s when I started with my daughter. She was definitely ready for it and seemed to be easier to train than my boys.) It took a pretty long time with the boys tho. I wanna say they were about 3 when they actually “figured it out”. Another mother had suggested using Froot Loops or Cheerios. (Give them something to “aim” at! Lol. They can still aim for them, whether they are sitting or standing. ) It actually did the trick!!! Especially using the colorful Fruit Loops!!! They thought it was fun n it seemed to take the “stress” out of it; it was something they actually “wanted” to do. I also had a little “treat” for them as well. Small tootsie rolls or similar, dum dum suckers, Starburst, stickers, tattoos, etc. Something small that they can receive when “the job is done”!!! :slight_smile:

My nephew started potty training at 18 mos so it’s definitely a possibility!!

Just watch his cues. Take him every 30-45 minutes and have him sit on or stand in front of the toilet and give him a few minutes. Sometimes it’s a hit and miss until you can figure his cues about needing to pee. If standing in front of toilet give him some cheerios to dunk (hit) and make it fun for him. Stickers small dollar toy etc rewards for him going pee in the toilet. It’s a process but if he has accidents don’t make him feel bad about it cause that can make children regress with potty training also

Let him pee off the porch

1 Like

I had to take the pull ups away

2 Likes

We had a tree out back called the pee pee tree. Only special kids got to go on it. Worked for my sons and grandson.

1 Like

Any cereal that floats
You tell them to sink the boat
Also promotes aiming skills
They also have to associate the bodily feelings of having to go to the bathroom #1 and #2
So explain that also

Maybe he needs to go to Grappy’s for a few weeks?

1 Like

Honestly making my kids sit on the toilet was the only way I could get both my kids to do it just sitting on the toilet to go and big boy undies and encouragement my kids they hated the accidents so I never bought the pull up’s

He will go when hes ready. Have got twins girl out of nappies 12mths @ 3 boy not until 4

Stop forcing him. You’re just going to create more problems in the future. He’s not even 3, just wait until he’s ready because he’s clearly not ready now.

2 Likes

He’s not ready…my guy is 3 and just starting to show real interest.

You could try taking him to the store to pick out his own big boy underwear. Maybe if he gets to pick it will be more incentive. By extras and just keep him in the underwear throughout the day. Pull-ups only at night. It may take time and some pairs of underwear through the day but maybe it will be just uncomfortable enough to make him want to use the toilet. My other suggestion is maybe he just isn’t quite ready? This can be the case sometimes. Give it a break and try again in a month or two. And stay patient always encourage but try not to get upset when or if it doesn’t seem to be working. Or since there is laughter when he does go in his pull up I feel it’s to get a reaction from you. Don’t give him the reaction you normally do. And maybe have grandpa have a talk about using the toilet at home like he does.

2 Likes

Let him pee freely outside.
I know it sounds crazy but find somewhere he can just pee freely…once my son did that he thought it was fun to go potty.

It was hard being a mom and trying to show him.lol If Dad is there have the son go to the bathroom with him so he can see its what big boys do.

Otherwise Im learning that Boys are Boys so he will do it when he’s ready!

Good.luck

1 Like

He will do it when ready , it usually takes boys longer, once they decide they are usually broke in a few days ,

Set a timer every 25 min make him at least try to go. Consistency is important. I let my son pick a toy from Amazon that he really wanted and when he was constant he got it.

3 Likes

It could be a comfort/sensory thing with the cloth underwear. Try using training undies, they are a little thicker than underwear, kinda quilted-like. My son didn’t like the training undies but my daughter preferred them and wore them until I couldn’t get them in her size anymore

2 Likes

It’s gonna take some dedication, some frustration and a lot of Lysol, but take the pull-ups away. He has already proven that he is ready and able to use the potty. He tells you when he goes and he uses the toilet at other peoples houses.

Give him no other option but underwear. Take him out and let him pick out his big boy underwear and his big boy potty. Let him “pay” for them. Then when he messes in them, make him “throw them away”. Obviously wash them because underwear/boxers aren’t cheap, but I learned with mine that when they messed in them and I made them take them off and throw them in the trash, they got upset because they picked them out and “bought” them.

Also, with my son, I let him pee outside. A lot. We had a privacy fence around the back yard and the very first time he announced he had to pee, I was grilling in the back yard. I told him to pee in the bushes. From then on, he stopped peeing in his pants.

When it comes to bed time, give him his last drink about an hour before bed and the last 5-10 minutes before bed he sits on the potty.

Froot loops make.it game if they sink them they get prize

Take him outside and let him pee on a tree. Boys love to pee on trees lol

1 Like

Stop using pull ups during the day. Tell him they are night-night pants now and only use them for bedtime/naps. My son didn’t like how it felt when he had an accident in his undies and started using the potty. Consistency is key take him to the potty every 30 mins and have him try to go. Give a piece of candy as a reward everytime he goes in the potty. My son turns 3 the 30th and has been fully potty trained for a few months now.

1 Like

Be patient and let him decide. We have been working with my little guy (3 in July) at his own pace for a few months now. Over the last 2 days he decided he wants underwear all day and has had 1 accident (he couldn’t make it to the house fast enough). He has been much more stubborn then my other two with training but he’s becoming more ready now. Continue to encourage him and maybe let him pick out some cool big kid undies give him time and he will be ready just keep being patient :blush:

Most boys are closer to 4 before they potty train. Just relax and don’t push him before he is ready.

Credits to you for trying and not giving up! All kids show signs qt different times, there are kids who are ready at 1 years of age and some past 3 or even 4, i felt giving up with both my boys when toilet training, i was fortunate with my 1st to have his uncle of 5 kids constantly praising him and teaching him. With my 2nd who started at age of 2 we had a big struggle for good 2 weeks each day was a red sign of me giving up. If you have support from your family its a bonus for the child and for you to have them around more in teaching him. I am sending you lots of patience as its much needed :pray:

Let him start by peeing outside. It worked with my 3 boys. My grandson is 2.5. He’s not ready yet. Also, I threw a few fruit loops in the toilet and let my boys try to pee on them. I had a little stool for them to stand on. Books are great or tell him a silly story. Anything to distract him so he can relax. Good luck!

I’m just starting this journey with my son as well . A friend gifted him a urinal ( little frog) it’s a game changer . Figured baby steps is good and he finds it fun

Advice I got from super nanny, and it took less than a week to potty train 3 kids (1b, 2g).

Wait until they wake up dry from naps to start potty training.

Boys sometimes take longer. He needs to be ready. Any pressure will just delay the process. My boy only started at 3,5 and was trained just before he turned 4. Took 6 months. My girl trained in 6 weeks, at 2,5 years.

All the best. Sending you hugs

Bribe him. With a toy or something he wants.

1 Like

We put up a sticker chart on the wall by the potty. Every time he went he got to choose a sticker and put on the wall

I potty trained my boys by letting them pee outside on trees :woman_shrugging:t2:. They thought it was great and I just encouraged them to keep their pants dry and it worked like a charm.

13 Likes

I’m giving mine his tablet. He sits and plays. We read books and we get a potty pot just for trying. He can sit and eat the lollipop while I read a book.

Try letting him pee outside, put Cheerios in the toilet for him to aim at. One thing I learned while having an in home daycare was to have them straddle the potty backwards and give them a dry erase marker to draw on the underside of the toilet lid :grin:

2 Likes

Don’t stress!! When they are ready they will do it! Just keep teaching! But don’t get down on yourself when it’s not done in the time others tell you!

My nephew spends alot of time here and it took me letting him pee outside and keeping his undies and pants off as long as possible during the day before he came around. He was just shy of 3 and will go pee all day with no problem now but still has a hard time pooping in the potty. He usually goes and hides somewhere then come to tell me after the fact so we are still working on that but he’s doing great with peeing. Even goes all night with no accidents at all.

Let them sit back wards and put a tablet or phone playing there favorite show on the back of the toilet

Following. I know they say they will do it when they are ready. And let them go until then, but my son will be 3 in July. My girls were potty trained by 2. And I tried almost everything with my son.

He’s probably not quite ready. Patience!

My son and step son didn’t get potty trained until 3 1/2. They turn 4 in the winter and the summer before they got potty trained. At the same time they got potty trained my daughter who is a year younger was potty trained at 2 1/2. Some kids are just different.

Some of these Ideas hysterical!

I told my son to “water the grass”, he potty trained in a few days

2 Likes

You can’t rush potty training. He will do it in his own time.

We had a potty in my sons room. He would use it on his own time. He was potty trained by 2.5. I will be trying to potty train my daughter as soon as she is walking.

Best thing I ever did was ditch pull ups. The second I used real underwear he was good to go with his accidents here and there.

1 Like

My son is 18 months and we got him a potty seat that sits on the toilet. We aren’t actively potty training him but trying to ease him into the idea. Every night just before he goes for his bath we sit him on it for 5 minutes and over the past couple of weeks he has done about 6 pees, super proud of him and lots of praise. Maybe it’s time for dad to start taking him with him when he needs the toilet so he can watch and learn.

I waited until he was ready at 3 years old, didn’t worry about what other people say.

Sink the cheerios! Put a few in the bowl and tell him he can play the sink the cheerios! Boys love that game.

It really helped me to keep some small toys and a couple books by the potty to occupy them. It got them to sit for a few minutes and distract them from the fact that they were sitting on the potty so they could relax a bit. It doesn’t mean he isn’t ready, or that you should put it off for another time. Just stick with it, he will get it.

1 Like

With my two boys we put them in underwear (no diaper), asked them every hour if they had to go potty, after a couple days of accidents (having to change clothes, get cleaned up) they got it. Just have to be patient, good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

Following My son’s almost 5 and still not potty trained :sob: everytime he has to potty I put him on the toilet and he gets into a screaming fit and runs off . I’m lost !

1 Like

My boys watered the trees and indoors I put 2 cheerios in the bowl and bet them they couldn’t hit them peeing.

Give him a potty training book to look at while he’s on potty give him stickers n little prize each time he goes let him go with his dad when he’s at home LOTS OF PRAISE you can buy little things for him to aim at on toilet bowl that are flushable set your clock take him every 30 minutes don’t ask just take him especially after he eats or drinks stop giving drinks several hours before bed get some cool potty training pants n get some others for when he learns to look forward to good luck lots of patience :blue_heart::blue_heart:

Put a few corks from mineral bottles in the toilet get him a step and tell him to hit the corks in the toilet bowl great fun but ull need gloves :rofl:

I threw cheerios in the toilet to get him to tinkle. It was fun to hit them

1 Like

Throw a few Cheerios in the toilet and tell him to pee on them! It’s a game.

i potty trained my son & daughter the same way, i stayed home as much as possible while potty training & let them walk around naked from the waist down, put a training potty in front of the tv and had them sit on it every 15 minutes for a few minutes & rewarded them with a small treat everytime they used to potty. my son took 3 days, my daughter took about a week.

I let all 4 of mine pee on trees

1 Like

I had 2 boys. Have him pee in the water. All boys love it. If his father or another male can show him it will help. Dont make a big deal out of wanting down. Just try later. What helped me with pooping was getting my boys in" big boy " underwear. They loved underoos. Superheros can be a
huge incentive, PLUS peeing or pooping in them is uncomfortable. It gets cold and lumpy.
Also if he poops in them( or for that matter a diaper) have him see you flush the poop down the toilet. It makes the connection thats where its supposed to go. If you put too much pressure it becomes a power struggle. But hes 2 so you already know about those.

Hes not ready. Its so.much more then just going. Its similar to walking. Theres muscles to control, understanding what his body is feeling then learning to hold it. You wouldnt rush walking or talking. I’d look for a different preschool or a daycare or even post at the local middle and high school and or college and see if someone would come to your house to hang with him while getting some work done. Honestly kids potty train themselves when ready seemingly overnight.

3 Likes

He might not be ready. Sometimes they just aren’t and you gotta take the pressure off of him and yourself. My daughter didn’t potty train until 4 and when she did she also kept herself dry at night the same day. My first son potty trained at 2 but did not stop wearing pull ups at night until 3 1/2. My second son potty trained at 2 1/2 but is still wearing pull ups at night. The thing that worked best for my kids was just to take off the diapers put on underwear and let them have accidents. It took longer with my daughter. So we had to take breaks every now and then. But after a week or two I would try again. As for night time you’ll want to do the same thing. Get a waterproof mattress cover, take off the diaper, put on underwear and let them have accidents. They eventually learn and figure out that they want to go to the bathroom. It’s okay though if he’s not ready. Look into finding a babysitter that will come to your home while you work.

Firstly, don’t stress, boys tend to take longer and also, he’s still young. My eldest didn’t until 4 no matter what, he wasn’t ready then one day it just happened. Don’t pressure him because it will just give him issues with using the toilet - read books, take him to pick big boy pants. If you are going to potty train, go all in with pants only and pull ups at night. As I said though, he’s still young. Its usually around 2 they even show interest and that’s still not for certain. Mum of 2 boys, 1 girl and 1 boy on the way, 3 toilet trained.

4 Likes

Give him toy , book, reward if he sits and goes

I used the book Holy Crap Potty Training for my boys. Her methods worked amazingly and trained right at 2 years old.

1 Like

I used to put cherrios in the potty and see of he could shoot them down that’s how I got him to pee in the potty then he started going naturally after that also I let them pee outside like their grampa did

Johanna Marie .might find some helpful info here. Other than peeing on trees! Can’t do that since you live in an apartment!

Cherrios make great targets for sinking. Throw 3 cherrios in the toilet bowl and tell him to aim for the boats.

1 Like

My advise purchase a urinal that sticks to your bathroom wall.
Once you’ve mastered pee, start with toilet and poos.
Best thing I ever did with my 3rd boy and he mastered the toilet and was dry 24/7 once he first went.

2 Likes

Put cherrios in the stool and have him shoot at them…more like a game :blush:

Sticker chart and candies lol candy whenever he actually pees. Stickers for sitting. 2 stickers and 2 candies for poop. Worked like a charm for my stubborn 3 year old

My son was the easiest to potty train out of my 3 (boy and two girls). He was 2 and 5 months. He literally trained himself in 2 days flat and never had a mistake. Mil gave him a £1 coin the first time he did a wee in the potty and that was it :joy::joy: think that day cost her about a tenner :joy::joy:

The girls were 2 and half years. Each took a week to get the basics and had accidents. I chose a week when weather was warm. Let them run around in just a t shirt nothing on their bottoms to begin with. Once they’d mastered knowing when they were going and sit on the potty - then I added underwear. Again once they got the gist of needing to lower underwear and sit on potty I went to the next stage

What’s the rush to send him to preschool? Studies have shown that, especially for boys, too much structure too soon is detrimental to their learning.

He’s obviously not ready and trying to rush him for YOUR convenience is messed up and can also be damaging to him and may even push his likelihood of being potty trained farther and farther into the future

1 Like