How to potty train girls?

Sit them on the toilet first and teach them to point it down to keep it in toilet, then once they are about 3 or 4 start teaching standing up, I use orange toilet cleaner, squirt a bit in and make it look like flames and tell them they need to pee on it to put the fire out (my kids knew it wasn’t real fire and knew they wouldn’t get hurt) my boys learned really quickly with this and it made potty training fun. My girls were really easy and quick they didn’t like the potty or nappies and started using the big toilet really early (mum of 7, 2 girls & 5 boys)

There is really no difference in how you approach potty training. Boys will sit just as girls do. Just leave his foreskin alone. You can cause severe pain pulling it back and it can get stuck then he may need an op.

1 Like

As a daycare teacher of potty training age and now having my own, we have taught to sit and “poke it down” and then shut your legs because otherwise they can spray themselves even sitting :roll_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Just toilet trained a 3yr old boy in my care he sits on the toilet to per and poop (hate cleaning poop out of potties lol) I also raised 2 older boys on my own and taught them the same way!

Tell him to go water the tree in the yard. I am a mom of girls but my Father in law who is a Dad of 3 boys said that was how he trained his. :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::rofl: It may work. Currently potty training my 3 year old girl and it has been smooth sailing. Wishing you the best of luck.:heart::pray:

Every time you persons go to bathroom take your daughter with you and have her do the same in her own potty. Make up a pee pee song and praise her if she goes or not :toilet:

Raised my son by himself. I had him sit when potty training. Once he has that down. And knows his body. He can stand. And you can teach him to dab off the tip. Completely up to you. Don’t stress. I know a few men that their moms mad them sit because she had 13 kids. And she got sick of cleaning pee. So she made everyone sit. Lol

From a psychological /physiological standpoint - no kids have the true muscle control required until at least age 2. It takes that long for the myelin sheaths to form over the nerves. All 4 of my kids were trained between age 2 and 3 during the spring and summer, when it is easier because they aren’t also dealing with cold air. 2 girls, 2 boys and the summers they were 2 worked great. My oldest son expressed interest before that age, and we tried, but he didn’t have the muscle control necessary for success. Otherwise all these suggestions are good. I think we used M&Ms as rewards for success, didn’t take long. And all of them started by sitting on a small potty then graduated to the big toilet with or without special seat.

With my two boys I floated one square of toilet paper in the toilet and told them to sink it. It definitely helped with their aim.

It’s no different from a girl…First sippy cup has to go if he is on one. They can’t be drinking out a sippy cup all day their bodies have to be trained. Then a time to stop drinking…mine was at 6pm dinner time…As soon as they get up put him on the potty…let him sit ever 2 hours… Consistently is the key once you start keep on. NO PULL UPS that confused them. Also potties are good

No boys don’t sit. I stood my son on my feet ( he was too little to reach )facing the toilet & taught him how to aim into the toilet.

3 Likes

Boys are definitely slower than girls, especially if he is the only child. My first son was 3 years, but my second son saw brother and he already have that keep up with brother attitude so he was easy. Good luck!

We never used those little on the floor potty chairs. We used the seats that went over the toilet with a built in ladder and hand rails. We taught the boys to pee standing up, unless they needed to poo at the same time. We watched for the signs they needed to “go” and got them to the bathroom.
Waiting until your child is ready and patience to potty train is key!
Try not to stress and not compare him to other kids, he will start using the toilet at some point!
Good Luck!

I trained my sons to pee right into the pot. Stood them on a stool, made a toilet paper air plane, let it fall into the toilet. Then told them to sink it. They loved the challenge. I no longer had wet floors!

Thought my son would never get trained. Didnt have disposal training pants then so had to wash out his pants. Finally one day I told him I wasnt doing it any more and he had to do it himself…after one time he was trained…lol

Exactly the same as a girl, but teach him to tuck it in.
Let him run around with no bottoms on and leave the potty out. Encourage him to sit on it after sleep or drinks. Make it fun, no pressure and he’ll do it himself

We are potty training 4 of my grands 3 boys and 1 girl. We made potty pages with their name on it, and hung it on the wall. each time they go potty they get to pick out a sticker and put it on their paper. After so many stickers they can cash them in for a little toy ( we made a treasure box out of a pencil box) They also get 2 or 3 skittles, m & m’s , smarties, fruit snacks or 1 milk dud their pick. We put them in pull-ups or real undies during the day. plus you have to ask them how many times if they need to go potty. At the end of the first week they had the hang of it. By the second week they wanted to put real undies on for bed ( I told them they had to not go in the night for a week and we would talk about it :slightly_smiling_face: ). You can get potty training urinals for boys for under $10.00. I do like the little seats you can set on the big toilet. I also like the elmo potty chair, because it also can be used as a step up for them in the bathroom. If you have them sit make sure they hold it down or lean forward or you will have a mess lol. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

I have 3 boys number 2 is potty training now and I have found the easiest way is to just put them in underwear and let them see the difference it’s a bit messy but that’s the point they don’t like being messy and will listen to your guidance about being a big boy now. Also I start them off sitting then they can stand to pee once they get the idea of how it all works.

Teach him to sit and stand and met him decide what is most comfortable for him. Put frootloops in the toilet to teach him to aim pretend it is a game. My son loved this and after a couple days of the frootloops he no longer wanted pull ups only underwear and after 2 weeks he was going to the bathroom like a champ. Yes their will be accidents and messes on the toilet this is part of having a boy but the aiming game helps tremendously instead out just telling the to aim in the bowl.

When I potty trained my son I put a ping pong ball in the toilet.
It’s fun to aim at, keeps wee in the loo and won’t flush away.

Put Cheerios in the toilet bowl and tell him to aim at it

We had them make bubbles. Watch the bubbles. No problem. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::blush:

Put Cheerios in the toilet and have him aim for them!

Why is this even funny wtf?

Throw a cheerio in there and tell him to aim for the hole

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train girls? - Mamas Uncut

Sounds like she’s not ready. One day it will just click. My middle girl wouldn’t use the bathroom ever then poof. She decided one day to start using the bathroom. And next thing she’s dry all night too
But her older sister, who was daytime potty trained by 18 months is still having bed wetting issues @ 6 years old.
All kids are different

1 Like

You’re not alone! My daughter is 3 and is as smart as a whip, but will still pee right through her undies and then tell me she peed on the floor. She will pee on the potty sometimes buts it’s like she’s just not grasping it yet. That’s ok tho, like the person said above, it’ll just click one day. I’m not in a rushz

It may sound weird, I had a boy and girl and
I did not put any pants on them.
They would go in their underwear/diaper/pullup, but they wouldn’t wet or poop on themselves.
It worked for both of them.

In daycare and preschool around here, we have them go every 30 minutes. (At last try) if she’s still got going regularly or still having accidents, she may just not be ready.

she will just decide one day that sshe is ready. I fought and fought with my younger child…months of fighting to get him to use the potty and nothing…I gave up! He was 3 days from being 4 and woke up and asked for underwear like. his brother and just started using hte potty with very few accidents.

She may not be ready. Does she poop on a schedule? Like in the morning around the same time, a certain amount of time after eating. You could possibly start having her sit on potty around the time she normally poops. One thing that we did with potty training was every 30-45 minutes I would have then sit on the potty for a couple minutes instead of asking them if they needed to go. Girls are harder to potty train in my experience. My boys were super easy and potty trained sooner.

My 3 year Olds been rough to potty train too, when she’s in her underwear she always poops in them, but she will pee on the potty. Idk if it’s because I don’t take her enough because I’m busy chasing her 1 year old brother or what, but it’s definitely stressful

My daughter is 2.5 and doesn’t talk yet and not potty trained either. Don’t know how to even start when Shen can’t tell me or anything.

Pooping takes a lot longer. It just takes lots of positive reinforcement and patience. It’ll click when she’s ready. We’ve been trying to get our son to potty forever and he’s 4 now. A few days ago, he just figured it out and is now a champ. Still accidents but that’s to be expected

We start potty training at age 2. But ultimately, it is all about the child. My oldest potty trained in a couple months, and my second is going on 2 years, but besides Naptime/bedtime potty accidents, she’s basically potty trained. Children strive on routines. Our routine for our children is that they are required to sit on the potty after waking up in the morning, before and after nap, and before bedtime. She also has to sit there 15 minutes after she eats breakfast, lunch and dinner. And everytime she pees/poops on herself, she has to go immediately sit on the potty.

My 3 year old is potty trained but she was ready to do it on her own. I noticed that she had less accidents when I told her to go to the potty instead of asking if she had to go. If she had the choice between going pee or playing she would always choose to play and then have an accident. She may not be ready yet and there is nothing wrong with that.

Offer up m @ ms everytime she goes

1 Like

Put a portable DVD player in the bathroom and play the DVD Potty Time Elmo. This is the only thing that helped both of mine learn to use the potty.

She is probably not ready. We just barely got our daughter potty trained a little over a month ago and she just turned 4 back in October. Girls are hard headed too. She was a little stinker but she caught on quick. Had a few accidents but smooth sailing since then.

My girl is the same age and same. She pee’s in her potty but will not poop. She’ll try put a pull up on to poop lol she’s pooped in the toilet a few times on her own but we just can’t get it to stick. I think it’ll happen when it happens, when here ready.

My little girl is 22 months. She knows when she has to go potty and for almost a month now has not had a poop in her pullup/panties except once and I could tell by her face she thought it was a fart :rofl: but will still choose to pee in her pullup instead of stop playing to go to the potty .

My oldest was potty trained around that time and then my second was potty trained at 18 months. All kids are different

My daughter turned 4 in October.

At home… Accidents ALL THE TIME if she has panties/pullups on. No panties/pullup on, she rarely has any issues.

Away from home, panties, it’s been a long time since we had anything more than a thick skidmark.

It’s crazy frustrating. It makes zero sense.

My daughter started doing when she became 4 . I did everything even slapped her , which im not proud of. But the judgement in the eyes of people who knew me was hard. Nothing helped. And then 3 days before her birthday my mom came and hid all the diapers. She waited till night and then she understood no one was gonna give her diaper , she just sat on the potty and did her poop.

Give her time.she wont be in diapers all her life.be patient.

Take her with you when you go potty, with her potty chair…most children hide behind a couch when they do #2 … something happens when one day you wake up and she does all her business in the potty chair…just keep on top of it…

1 Like

Ik not all kids are the same but this is what I did with my girls and it worked for them. Maybe it’s worth a shot

What is something that she loves doing or wants to do that would require her to be potty trained to do? (I.e. school, park, etc). Get on her level and ask her if she wants to go to (whatever she really wants to do) then get on her level and explain to her that if she wants to do said thing then she has to go potty on the big girl potty like momma, Daddy and the other big kids do. She needs to tell you when she needs to go pee pee or poop so that she doesn’t have anymore accidents.

Take a break, reassess, and try again. It’s nothing to stress over. Less mothers are judging you than you think. We’ve all been there. Xoxo

4 Likes

My daughter was the same way! We ended up staying hone for a full week with no pants. We got her a potty watch that can be set for 15-90minute intervals and will light up and play a song to remind her to go potty. We took away pull ups completely, because they are too much like a diaper. And if she had an accident, she had to clean it up herself! (I supervised of course and if she needed help I was right there.) She had 2 accidents and hated having to clean it up and that’s literally all it took! In 3 days she was going #1and2 in the big potty with no issues. Rewards didn’t encourage her. She is so stubborn! Lol. Just stay consistent!

4 Likes

Don’t ask, just set her on the potty chair.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad!! Every child is different!! If ur up for it, try letting her go without a diaper/pull-updat. My baby took about 4 days to learn and no more accidents after that. But be prepared to clean up!! Good luck!!

I bribed my baby. She wanted a doll house and I told her she can get it only if she poops on the potty. It worked :joy:

I just managed to get my 4 year old trained a couple months ago. We started when she was 3 and we literally fought her over getting trained for a year. Our local preschool took her in October even though she wasn’t fully trained and she pretty much stopped having pee accidents then but she was still pooping her pants all the time. The beginning of November we told her Santa wasn’t coming if she kept pooping her pants and around thanksgiving break she started pooping in the potty too. Been a couple months of absolutely no accidents now. She’s finally wearing big girl underwear all the time. I still put her in pull-ups overnight thought cause she still occasionally has a pee overnight

We go at our child’s pace, not ours, not our friends kids or family members kids or what the Dr says…just keep doing what you’re doing.

1 Like

Let her go naked from the waist down at home as much as possible (just socks/ slippers if it’s chilly) …

My daughter was 3 smart as a whip wouldn’t poop on the potty , I went to the dollar store picked out things she’d like and gave her poop presents after 3 days she got it and didn’t look for the presents anymore

1 Like

When she’s ready she will let u know!

1 Like

My youngest js 3 and she can go pee on the potty however it’s not consistent

Keep to a daily schedule for same time every day give her a book or something to do on toilet , sticker chart or her favorite candy if she goes . We used gummy worms none unless she went on potty 2 if I had to remind her 4 if she went on her own :sweat_smile:

Set a timer let her help do it every hr sit her on the potty let her pick out her underwear put her in them even if she pee then reward her at the end of the week make a little chart and let her put it to Star up every time she goes but then let her make a :frowning: every time she doesn’t go and she has an accident at the end of the week reward her for the good Stars she will get tired of her legs and her butt being wet she can do it you can do it it just takes time and patience she’s going to have to be a little uncomfortable for a few days but she won’t like it at three and a half unless there’s a medical condition she should be potty trained because at 4:00 she should be starting a preschool or Head start and they will not take them if they’re not potty trained but if you have babies in the home you said she’s your oldest maybe that’s an issue too tell her she’s a big girl she’s a big sister and she has pretty things and she doesn’t want to get them icky good luck but stay away from the pull-ups maybe night only she’s got to get the hang of it and I hope you’re not sitting around a big party or sitting here on a kid’s party

Also let her sit there with a book or if she plays a game it just takes time and consistency you cannot let her give up and you cannot give it

Bribes are absolutely appropriate and effective at potty training. Quid pro quo…this for that. Now to get ours to not need a pull-up at night. That’s our next hurdle.

I had twin girls potty trained by 2 years old. Easiest way is to allow them to copy momma. Also no pull up as they wick the moister away. Try straight undies or no undies, either one will work. You want her to know it’s not comfortable being wet.

Keep her in regular panties and if she goes #2 on herself…you will need to make her clean it up. That broke my daughter after the first time.

1 Like

My 2 oldest (girls) are 16 months apart. The oldest one didn’t really have an interest in using the potty until she saw her little sister doing it. Don’t know why that motivated my oldest but it did. Got them both potty trained at the same time. Hope this helps.

Took me ages to potty train my girl always kept her without pants on all day I the house and carried a travel potty with us everywhere but she was still having accidents then out of nowhere it just clicked with her and no more accidents maybe she just not ready yet

My daughter just turned 3 in February and was same way. We got COVID and during isolation I just let her around naked as I found if she had clothes on, she would pee in them. For pooping it was a little harder but we just had her sit there while we sat on floor and we played patty cake, I also got bathtub crayons and let her draw on the back of the toilet seat. We took her every 15 minutes. After 3 days of that she goes on her own, even goes poop

My mom just bought me my favorite character undies and told me that she would be mad at me if I used the bathroom on her :joy: and it worked
With my niece, we just stuck to a set schedule, taking her at the same time every day and used a reward system.
I believe I was 3 and I believe my niece was 3 1/2 so it’s perfectly normal just a lot of patience is needed!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Tell her it’s time to go and take her. Every 15mins she has to go try. She has to go with you every time and learn. Take a book with you.
Time when she poops in her pants & get her in the bathroom. Let her turn around, straddle the toilet & draw on the toilet lid.
Have her in underwear or nothing when at home. Pull ups at night for accidents.
If you plan on her going to preschool, they won’t let her go if she’s not potty trained. The disclaimer around here is: Pre School/Kindergarten teachers can not be responsible for changing diapers. It’s unsanitary in our classroom setups and takes time from teaching the class. Please do not enroll your child if they are in diapers or unable to say they need to go to the bathroom.

1 Like

In the same boat here!!!

I learned with my daughter to ease back on constantly asking her and putting her on the potty all the time. I think constantly doing that was our hangup and perhaps she developed anxieties over it. I was at my wit’s end with trying and finally just gave up. No sooner did i stop pushing her to do it, she started going in and using the potty on her own.

Something that worked for both my kids was anytime they had an accident they had to take off all their soiled clothes and clean themselves up with as little help from me as appropriate. I never yelled or got upset or made a big deal. I just would calmly guide them while they undressed and got cleaned up. It worked because a lot of time kids don’t want to stop whatever they are doing to go to the bathroom so they quickly learned it would be faster to go potty than to go in their pants and have to get new clothes and get cleaned up.

1 Like

grab a potty watch off amazon!

1 Like

Don’t let me tell u what you needs to do old fashion these new moms is just not working

Try a potty chart with stickers and a candy jar.
Make her try every 5 mins … each time reward her with a sticker and a piece of candy… I also put some potty toys by her potty… helped while waiting…

I had this issue with my daughter. She was 3 by the time I got her completely potty trained. She started showing interest in going to the potty at around 2, but she was so stubborn that NOTHING helped until she just decided to do it on her on. She did worse when I constantly asked if she needed to go so I kind of just let her do her own thing and she did it when she was ready.

1 Like

Don’t stress I’m going through the same at the moment and have been told not to rush it

I know my daughter was 4 when she got the hang of it. She seen all the other kids an kindy use toilets and she wanted to aswell.
Before I used knickers with her - we still had a lot of accidents but once kindy started she was fine. Never used pull ups as she used them like nappies…

3 year old - try to encourage can u please show me a wee or poo in the toilet rather then ask her to go. “I would really like to see”. Make it sound exciting.

1 Like

Tell her she can’t go to school with the other kids if she poops in her pants.

1 Like

Don’t forget it, my son is also 3 and not fully potty trained. I’ve tried everything. I’m giving it a break and just waiting for him to be ready.

It’s not like he’ll be 10 and not potty trained, they do it when they’re ready.

Try every 20 25 minutes every 5 minutes is gonna make you sound like a broken record no bribes either

My two older boys were a year old and almost 4 years old. My third son is currently sitting his behind on the potty lol. He turned 3 the end of January. We’re on day three and he’s doing naked training. Naps and bedtime he gets a diaper but he’s nekkid when he’s awake. My oldest was a people pleaser and trained within a week. By second was a pain to train and always played in poop. My third is stubborn and will sit on the potty, have a little pee and then stand up go across the room, look you in the eye, and pee on the floor :expressionless:
It all depends on the kid and what works for them. My youngest is a girl and she’s 2 in June and she’s been showing some signs so she’ll be next to potty train very shortly.
Take your time, be patient, let the kid choose when they go on the potty and what undies they want to wear etc. Make them go atleast once an hour to the toilet, but ask them every 10-15 mins if they have to go.

Don’t pressure them… allow to do in their own time!! My daughter the day before her 3rd bday said…mommy I’m done with diapers… and we never looked back. We are almost done with overnight diapers…and she’s 4.5. Her dr said it’s a nerve that has to develop… regardless of what time you stop the drinks at night… or the last potty time… don’t be so hard on her nor yourselves… :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I’m currently going through the same thing with my 3.5 yr old. She’s just not interested, some days she will run and go to her potty by herself but then there are a lot more days where she just doesn’t care or attempt to go to the bathroom on her potty. But she isn’t fully potty trained. When she’s not with me she goes more to the bathroom like a big girl. I’ve tried being super excited, rewards, reminders, bribes, etc. I know for a fact you can’t get angry or impatient bcuz it really delays their willingness to go on the potty.
Its embarrassing sometimes at stores I have to change her on the changing table but at that time I remind her that she should let me know when she needs to go poop or pee and I will take her to the stall like a big girl. I know she will do it on her own when she is ready. :blush:

Arielle Mauriello maybe someomes got advice we havent thought of

Constantly asking is putting pressure on her (and you) space out the toilet attempts a bit further. Don’t yell etc because my dad did that to my brother who was bed wetting still at 10, it just made it worse. I second the favourite character on her underwear comment as well, rewards and heaps of praise when she does go.

My only suggestion would be don’t ask- just take

You are so not alone. I’m going through the exact same thing with my 3-year-old daughter.

Girlllll im having the same issue i have 2 3 yr old and a 4 yr old who no matter what i try will not go to the potty! They been at step 1 the whole time. Just pee. Wont go unless i say. Idk its frustrating

I don’t have girls but I have 4 boys. My older 2 I kept trying every 2-3months for a couple weeks on and off but they never wanted to and finally when they both turned 4 they did it out of no where right before preschool started, no overnight accidents, my oldest never has had an accident except when he’s sick, my second has them every so often cause he holds it because he’s scared of water for some reason. My 3rd just turned 3 and he watched his brothers and only wears a pull up for bed or long car rides. My 4th isn’t starting yet cause he’s only going to be 1 next week.

I had 4 boys, they are grown now but when they were little they loved different charters like supperman, so I bought them underwear with them upon they were so proud of the underwear, they broke them self .

Constantly asking is stressing her out, try putting her on the potty 30 minutes after she eats.

Naked, or dress without undies. Mine had accidents in underwear, but never while naked.

Honestly she may not be ready. You are, but she may not be.

She’s just not ready. It will just click one day. as a mum of 5 kids 3 being girls, my youngest girl has just turned 4 and she literally clicked 3 months before her 4th birthday. Stop stressing keep taking her to the toilet every half hour, any more than that you’re just creating stress/ anxiety around the toilet.

Sweetie- yes many many of Mommas have pulled their hair on this problem. Potty training is often way harder on the parent. She just may not be ready - but if you are Try this- every 15- 20 minutes put her on. Eventually through observation (:wink::yum:) after a couple days you’ll find out her schedule-or close to it. Note time she eats and possibly how long her lil’ body takes to processes. First thing in morning too. You’re a good Momma - you got this.

Two word. Potty watch!! You can set the timer on it for 30 mins, 60 or 90. When it goes off it lights up and plays music. Both my kids loved it and it’s ultimately got us all to stay consistent in them sitting and going. make a potty chart and each time she successfully goes potty on the potty, let her put a sticker in one of the squares. Once she reaches however many you see fit give her a prize. For my kiddos I did every 10 successful potty trips you get a candy of your choice. Every 50, we went to the store to pick a small toy. Celebrate big with her every time!

3 Likes

Some kiddos care, some don’t.

Have u thought of a potty watch … they sell them on Amazon… its basically a timer they wear qnd when the watch goes off its time to go potty… my daughter was potty trained withing like 2 weeks