How to potty train girls?

What I did was buy a potty at 2 and offered 2 m&ms as a reward for peeing on it. And shed go if I put her on it first thing when she woke up, and here and there at other times, I never pushed it. It took her until 2.75 and one day it was just like a light switch went off. She was just ready. I did have to up the ante for poop to Reese’s, her favorite. Eventually she quit requesting candy every time so I just dropped it. The only accidents she’s had have been my fault for not ensuring she went in a timely manner. You’re within a normal range so just don’t push it and she’ll do it when she’s ready. Maybe try another form of motivation… stickers, potty-only toys to choose as a reward, etc.

I let my daughter go commando. That’s the only thing that helped and got it to click for her. She didn’t have a problem peeing in panties or clothes and it didn’t bother her so the commando part made it more noticeable when pee would get all over the floor. Then I had to battle the whole “you have to wear panties and bottoms outside the house” but that was easier.

As a mom of 5, 3 potty trained (other 2 are 1&2) I did the 3 day potty training. I devoted 3 full days to potty training. Taking them to the toilet every 30-45 minutes, wake them a couple hours after falling asleep to go use the bathroom. But after 3 days I was successful. & my older 3 were all potty trained by the time they were 2 1/2

Don’t ask her if her has to pee. You take her every so often. I ask my daughter and she says no all the time too lol. So I just sit her down and wait until she pees.

Nothing on her bottom half. Just a big shirt or a dress. Also do prizes for when she does go.

A few suggestions: never ask if they have to pee, take her regularly and make it an exciting event and when she goes potty in the toilet go over the top with praise. Put regular underwear on, the thicker underwear acts almost like a diaper. You want her to feel her pee go down her legs because she won’t like the feeling of being wet! Encouragement, consistency and excitement is key! Do not get mad or upset with her because then they just simply won’t do it. Sometimes even bribing them with candy works too lol! I wish you the best of luck!!

Every thirty minutes put her on the pot. She will eventually start to use the pot on her own.

I started potty training before my kid turned 1. By the time she was 2 she only needed pull ups.

What got my girl to finally potty train was I got a big bowl full of toys from dollar tree and she got one every time she went pee or poo on potty

Regular undies.
Set a timer for every 15-20 minutes and have her sit for a few minutes.
I did this with my stubborn daughter and she was potty trained in 2 days.

Also give rewards for successfully using the potty. Dum dum lollipops and m&ms are nice little treats.

When you have a weekend tale those 2 days and sit her on the potty every 10-20 minutes. And make her sit there for 5-10 minutes each time. No toys, no phone. After the time let her go back to her activities. And start it all over again, when she does have accidents make her help clean them. When she successfully goes give her something small but that will be rewarding to her. Also look for cues sometimes kid have different cues for the bathroom.

2 Likes

If its winter - u haave the same problem i have - they dont like the cold seat.
Use a hot bottle or let her sit on your hands till it warms up.
If its summer, sit her down when u suspect its time, and make her stay there. Stop what u are doing and stay with her.
Kids do what parents do.
If you are constantly busy and distracted, they feel potty time is a hindrance to getting things done.

My oldest was the hardest to potty train. She did the same thing. Her sister who’s 18 months younger potty trained first. Best advice I can give is keep her sitting on the potty until she goes. Work on the vocal expressions later.

Potty every 30mins be strict do a reward system potty directly after meals made a big fuss if she goes in the potty

We used a reward system. I just got little presents and wrapped them. See how I said reward and not bribe :rofl: worked a treat for both my boys

At home what ever room your in with her place the potty. When she uses it make a huge deal ab it. Clap sing dance give her a treat doesn’t have to be candy. Then when she’s using it consistently move it to the restroom and don’t ask just remind her to try and go. Do a sticker chart to help with the excitement

My daughter is 3 and having the same issue . She knows when she has to go but won’t stop playing following for advice

I’m pressuring my damn self because diapers are expensive and I’m sick of changing them now lol if you have the time let her go a few days at home with nothing on … keep potty’s everywhere …

My son was so easy I couldn’t believe it! I started really potty training him when he was almost 2 and it took 3 days and he never had an accident or anything it was amazing. And then my daughter refused to use the potty and when she turned 3 I was trying really hard to get her out of diapers, and she would pee in the potty but she would always poop in a pull up I decided to just get rid of the pull ups and never put another one on her and she started pooping in the potty. Every kid is different though she will get it just be persistent. :relaxed:

Same! My daughter is 3! We are waiting for the potty watch to come in the mail.

We waited until they were ready. We tried around 2.5 for our twins, they weren’t having it. We switched over to exclusively pull-ups around 3.5 and worked with them on it every day. After a month or so, we switched to big girl undies during the day (when they started going in the toilet regularly) and a couple months later, we are at no pull-ups, even at night. I personally don’t want to clean up all the accidents so we did pull-ups instead of training undies.

Put her on the potty every 45 minutes for at least 10 minutes. If she doesn’t go dont wait another 45 minutes juay wait another 15 and try again.

It took my daughter two nearly three years to be toilet trained and she still Pooh’s her pants .but we’re also going through a autism assessment.she is 5

I didn’t listen to my kids answers alone, I’d walk them and say well we need to try to make sure there’s no accidents. Kids don’t want to stop what they’re doing and go so I leave no other option. Eventually she’ll just start going because she’ll know you’re taking her anyway lol

Run water while she’s on the potty. Usually works

Put her on the bowl every 15-30 minutes. Asking is better after this because she knows what potty is.

She has to get used to what the feeling of having to pee is. Take her every 30 min to the bathroom and she will learn

We hung surprise eggs in a basket as high as we could where he couldn’t reach with tiny toys from the $1 store and mini m&ms. Worked the first day

I would go first then she would sit after me. We read lots of books about it together. She would sit with her own book waiting to pee.

My kid was almost 4. I feel you. She just wasn’t ready. I tried everything.
Then one day she used the potty on her own and that was it! Good to go from then on. My mom says I was the same way.

I put my daughter on the toilet every hour or 20 mins after she had a drink… It took a week of being persistent no pull ups just regular underwear :blush::blush:

how old do most people potty train girls my daughter will be 2 in august

With one of mine, I made a sticker chart. Each time the bathroom was used, they got to pick a sticker and put on the chart. After so many stickers, they earned a prize.

My youngest was the hardest so his favorite candy was m&ms everytime he went potty he got one

Everyone’s unique. For my first baby I tried it all then quit. Stepped away, didn’t mention.
She noticed, I guess, cuz she started asking. No 2 kids are same :nerd_face:

Call me crazy…I never did potty training.

All my kids stayed in diapers or pull-ups til 4. My youngest now is 4.5 and just starting wearing undies. Less stress on everybody.

Check YouTube. How to potty train in 3 days. It helped my daughter but in more than 3 days

Stop asking and start telling. ‘Time to pee. Go sit on the toilet’. It’s not an option so don’t make it an option. The more pees you catch on the toilet… the more poos you’ll catch and boom one day it clicks and you got a potty trained kid. But never ever ask. Kids don’t have good bladder awareness until age 7yrs old. Before this they need us to remind them and get them into a routine of feeling comfortable on the toilet.

I used this with both my girls … they were both out of nappies by 2 its fantastic I’d recommend this to everyone

I used m&ms and and stickers as bribes also let my daughter walk around pantless and she didn’t like it. Took two days. Did 2 m&ms for pee snd 4 m&ms for poop

What’s her favorite cartoon see if you could find a toddler potty in her favorite cartoon character.

It’s gotta be her choice! See if you can sneak in some potty you tube cartoon videos and songs. That’s what gave my kiddo the “idea” to use the potty.

Take her every 30 minutes to an hour to try and keep doing it until she starts telling you when she has to go

My youngest son didn’t get potty trained until right before it was time for preschool. I told him if he wanted to go to school, he had to use the toilet bc there’s no one there to change him. Seemed to put a spark under his butt and he started using the toilet.

My oldest son was a little younger… about 3. I put on Elmo’s Potty time a few times a day and he watched it while sitting on his potty chair. After a week, I put his potty chair in his room and told him to use it when he’s ready. One day he said he peed in his potty. I didn’t believe him bc he was always a silly kid… but he really did. I gave him 2 mini m&ms as a reward and moved his potty closer to his door. Every time he went, I moved his potty until it made his way into the bathroom.

2 different techniques. Both worked. Just try different things when they seem interested in it. Some kids are scared. Some are nervous. Some need rewards. It’ll happen.

They’ll basically go when they want to… My last is the oldest to be potty trained… She’s 4.5 she k ow the whole process, she’s always poops in the potty. But never pees on her own… She’ll go and try when I tell her but never pees on her own… She’s being checked tho because she says she can’t tell when she has to pee… Iv tried everything with her… Rewards each time… Naked, training panties, pic out her own panties that she can’t ware until she always pees in the potty n her own… Nothing is working… I put her back in pull ups because I noticed peeing all over herself and things was making her feel bad about herself… Doc wants her checked out for over active bladder just in case… But in the end you just incorage them, introduce them do the best you can do but it’s still up to them…

oh crap potty training book. no training underwear. they feel like diapers. commando until she’s ready for regular underwear.

Do you change her when soils herself.

What about buying her a potty chair to put beside the toilet? Maybe the toilet is too big and intimidating?

Use regular underwear let her see exactly how it feels to pee herself instead of something absorbing it that what I had to do with my son you’ll have to clean up quite a few messes but it’ll only take a week

Don’t make it an option. We used the three day potty training method

Let her pee in the yard. Worked for us. Of course, I do have a boy. :rofl: He potty trained at 2 years and 2 months old. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same problem with my 3 year old daughter

My son didn’t potty train till 4. Cause I waited till he was completely comfortable with it. And he still may have the occasional night accident about 3 times a month. He will be 6 in November.

Take the undies off. She will figure it out. :slight_smile:

Use the thin panties instead of the thicker training panties. They feel to much like a diaper

Cheerios tell her to try to pee on them I did my daughter and it strangely worked

I used the chocolate buttons system. Every wee on the potty/toilet 1 button, every poop 2 buttons. Done within the week

I used special nylon underwear with lace ruffles on the butt. My girls caalled them silky panties and knew if they wet them they would have to go to training pants. Didn’t take long at all

Maybe offer them a little treat when they use the toilet correctly. Like an m&m or something

I’m going through the exact se thing with mom 31/2 year ols

If they hit the age during summer time, I’d let my kids run out without bottoms in the house. When they peed, it would go on the floor or down their leg and they’d quickly learn to associate the urge to pee with the bodily reaction that follows. It helped them learn quickly. I found that diapers and pull-ups both offered immediate absorption and prevented them from understanding the process.

My boy die that right before he finally got it. I did promise a sweet for telling me to go. It just worked one day :woman_shrugging:

I used a potty watch

Made it fun

Went pee when she did

Did a potty dance

Had then watch videos

Do it like every hour or two

Sit with them while doing it

She’ll do it when she’s ready.

1 Like

Don’t ask her. Just tell her she has to sit on the toilet every 20 mins

1 Like

Offer her a little prize for using the potty

I waited until 4 and my daughter put on underwear and never had one accident :woman_shrugging:t3:

Start withholding some of her favorite things.

We got our daughter a Potty watch off amazon. It was great!

Don’t stress about it every child is different

When she says no, take her anyway.

Daniel Tiger potty episode over and over!!

It took forever to potty train my son. I tried for like two years and he didn’t want to. Eventually he just did it without me telling him or helping him.

Also he likes privacy. He likes to go pee alone without me there to watch him.

I first showed him what to do on a regular toilet and he did it a few times but then hated it. He would scream and freak out if I took him in there cause he didn’t want to. I had to get a little toilet and put it out where we were so he could use it. That seemed to help a lot. Eventually he started using the normal potty all on his own. He had to do it on his own pace seeing as nothing I did mattered.

1 Like

You just gotta make her go. I started off asking my son if he had to go potty but he would usually say no and then pee his pants. Started just taking him to the potty every couple hours and I actually potty trained him like that in a few weeks. He was 2 1/2.

Honestly if you dont make such a big deal about it and let her do it on her own she will do it when shes ready. I have 7 grown kiddos between me and my hubby both boys and girls and im telling you right now if you keep trying to force her and stress out about HER potty training she will just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Alot of parents dont realize that their stress carries over to their kids and it perpeuates there anxiety around the whole potty training thing. Just let it come natural… Also if the only reason why you are wanting to potty train is so you dont have to change diapers or training pants then you really need to reevaluate your parenting style cause thats just downright lazy and ridiculous

2 Likes

Potty watch worked a wonder on my 3 year old that was just like yours!! Amazon!!

My son is 4 years old and he is potty trained but before that he refused to use the potty it was a hassle trying to get him to use it. One day out of the blue he started telling us he had to use the potty it was out of the blue it was very surprising!

So sorry, I tried really hard at 18 months
And nope. She was not doing it! Eventually she caught on and conformed by 3.5. My grandson is almost 4 and just potty trained due to paw patrol and baby shark underwear. We were like don’t pee on paw patrol and after a few weeks it happened. Special potty seat too that sang.

Naked potty learning

I read potty training books to her for months watched kids programs about it like for 6 solid months everything sorta revolved around it coz she was hard my older daughter was so easy

Use a star chart or similar. Everytime she goes in the toilet she puts a star on when it’s full get her a little treat or toy and start a new one :blush:

I always put mine on the toilet every half hour :woman_shrugging:

They potty train when they’re ready. I suggest potty books and rewards for going in the potty such as small candy treats(we used m&ms), stickers, etc.

My number 5 is just like this. She is 3.5 and just refuses. She knows what to do. She will tell me that she has to pee but won’t sit on the toilet and then she will bring me a diaper afterwards cause she doesn’t want to be wet. Her thing is though that she wants to be the baby. I also have a 15 month old and she won’t do anything she doesn’t do. She is VERY jealous. And I really thought it would get better or she would grow out of it by now but nope. I guess she will potty train when the baby does :woman_shrugging:

Potty watch…3 _days and done

Mine followed my dogs in the yard. :rofl:

2 Likes

When she pee’s her pants make her sit on the potty for about 10-15 minutes. Give her something to do like read a book or do some drawing while shes sitting there. I have 4 daughters and it worked with them all. I just finished training my 4 and 3 year old irish twins and both don’t even wear pull ups to bed they never have and don’t have accidents either nor did my oldest two they’re 22 and 17 now I always done the same thing from day one with all 7 of my kids

Don’t give her the option of not going potty. Don’t give her the option to say she doesn’t need to go. Get a potty watch. Set it for 15-20 minutes. Take her everytime it goes off. No questions, just take her. Obviously do this when you don’t have anywhere to go. She sits on the potty for 5-10 minutes or until she pees/poops. Then reset the timer and repeat the process. Before she goes to bed, potty. Wake her up 2-3 times at night and make her go potty. As soon as she wakes up in the morning, potty. Try to make it fun, clap and cheer when she does go. Have her place a sticker on a sticker chart and after so many stickers, she gets a small toy or candy.

My daughters 1 and I finally got her all the way potty trained :call_me_hand: she got a small potty for her 1st birthday and every time I went I made her sit on her potty while I went to the restroom this inspired her to go with me every time because she saw mommy going so she wanted to go too, after she got the hang of sitting on the potty after she drank something I’d wait about 10 minutes and take her to sit on the potty after she ate I’d wait about 20-25 mins then take her to the potty to go #2 just watch her and try tp figure out how long her body takes to digest the food or liquid also hyped her up when she made it made it fun for her I went cold turkey w the diapers I just took her to the store let her pick out her underwear and put them on her she hates being dirty so feeling her pee run down her leg or she only pooped once in underwear she freaked so when she had to poop she got the hang out telling g me she needed to poop first she just recently learned the feeling of when she had to pee she’ll tell me now does she need to pee or poop shes also all the way off her bottle so that helped her with not having accidents while she went to sleep

Take her to pee with you when you go to pee. You sit on the big toilet, she sits on the potty. Or put a toddler seat directly on your own toilet

Don’t ask just take her

set a timer & just take her every half hour & she will start to get it.

My folks used to bribe me with candy lol

I took my daughter to the store and let her pick out a lot of stickers and a calendar. Every time she used the toilet I let her choose a sticker to put on the day she peed in the toilet.
Try sitting her on it ever hour and tell her she can have a sticker when she pees. I did it with my daughter when she was 18 months. She loved it.

My daughter potty trained while I was trying to potty train my 3 yr old and she was 16 months.she was potty trained before bottle broke lol. She will get it sooner than later. Are u using the potty chair or the big potty? I’d the big one maybe try the potty chair. It’s not so high

My daughter was fully potty trained before she turned 2…I used a potty seat as the actual potty are a waste the seats are good practice for them and they don’t fall through :rofl: but maybe it’s a different issue with your daughter being that old and not trained, maybe something bothers her about it. Possibly consult her pediatrician and see what they suggest, she is almost school age so she’s gotta be ready just don’t use full force she’ll never potty train at that point. Good luck!

I used to read the book, “Once Upon a Potty” with my daughter. She also had her own potty that would sing a little song when she flushed.

Play potty time songs… Buy her a barbie or doll with a potty and some books. Don’t pressure her She will come around

Find a very inexpensive prize for every time she has a successful potty time. Maybe stickers or something like that.

Take away her favorite thing abd tell her she can have it back when she’s potty trained it worked on one day for a child who was ready to be trained