How to potty train girls?

I used to work in child care with toddlers, this is how I was taught to potty train, both boys and girls the same way. Every 30 minutes, tell them it’s time for a potty break and have them sit on the potty (If you ask if they want to try on the potty, they almost always say no). Give a small reward, like a sticker, after they try. If they go pee, make the reward a little bigger. Maybe a sticker and a couple gummy candies. If they go poop, than an even bigger reward, like a sticker and a bag of fruit snacks. I suggest taking them to the store to pick out new underwear and their rewards for using the potty. Make them part of the planning process. I did this with my son at home and he was fully trained in about 2 weeks. The key is consistency. Once you put them in underwear, don’t go back to pull ups or diapers unless it’s over night or nap time.

I have 2 girls and a boy. Its all a blur. However, I started by letting him pee outside and somehow we managed peeing inside. Always standing up, it never even crossed my mind to make him sit. I remember always saying “watch where you are aiming. Pee in the toilet” because they want to look everywhere. :rofl:

2 Likes

So we did basically the same for both our kiddos. We did get our son a $10 urinal off of Amazon,it worked great! It’s just like potty training a puppy lol just take him after he eats or drinks and/or once an hour otherwise. Just wait till he’s ready is my best advice. If you start too early it puts a bad taste in everybody’s mouth. You’ll know he’s ready when he imitates you, when he doesn’t like a wet diaper or tries to take it off, when he goes and hides to poo, etc. And utilize Elmo too man. He’s like a potty training wizard. Love the movie and the look and see potty book.

Taught my boy to pee standing. Fruitloops in the toilet for him to aim at and each time he went potty he got a new temp tattoo added to his sleeve. Took a week.

1 Like

I have 2 boys and two girls boys are supppper easy. Just simply let them pee outside the pooping will take a bit longer to train since well I highly not recommend letting them poop outside don’t think I have to stress that but you be surprised but them peeing outside although sounds a little country boys take to that a lot easier and enjoy it for some odd reason.

Please do not teach him to sit!! I mean I guess to each their own… but… boys r ment to stand. Teach him to stand…

3 Likes

When he sits to poop also gotta teach him to point his thing thing down or else it will just stream out straight… also get a stool he can stand on… it will give him more accuracy

Have 3 boys, sit first. When older have them stand in front of the toilet show him how to pull out his penis and aim it into the toilet you might have to lean into him a little to get things over the toilet. Be prepared for urination to go awry lol can shoot in many different directions at once lol. Have him shake off the excess, I had mine grab a little wad of toilet paper to dab the end so no wet spots on clothing. Wash hands and do that again over and over until he has learned. Was not a single parent at the time but was the only one who taught the boys any of that. If I could do it 3 times you can do it to. Be brave and just go for it. Consistency is key. Good luck.

I have 3 boys. Teach them to sit first and when they get used to it they can learn to stand.

2 Likes

Sit first. Stand up when he’s taller than the toilet. Otherwise you will be cleaning pee off the walls. I work at a martial arts school and when I clean the bathroom its ALLLLL OVER THE FLOOR AND WALLLLLLLS AND RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE OF THE TOILET.

I am constantly telling the boys to sit. Cause I’m tired of cleaning up their mess all say.

1 Like

I work in childcare and have 2 boys and 2 girls. It is best to teach them to sit first so they understand the concept and then once they have the hang of it you teach them to stand. As long as they go in the potty you are doing a good job. But always check your child for signs. Some will want to stand and not sit so make sure he is comfortable. Getting them used to the potty is the first step. You got this

I taught mine to aim off the front porch til he didn’t hit the porch then moved on to the toilet on a step stool always with one hand up to catch the seat if it should fall (safety from getting hit in the penis with it)

Until he learns and is big enough to use the toilet working is a potty chair and yes he will sit

We skipped the cheerios and in the beginning had him side back to the outside of the potty so he got the concept of aiming in the potty and then swapped him around if a poop was coming

Have him try to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes-1 hour. That’s what the preschools do too. It will help if school and home are on the same potty schedule. They will eventually understand to go to the toilet to do a #1 or # 2.

Pick a tree outside :deciduous_tree: that’s now the pee tree lol that worked for my son as for training girls I need help my daughter knows what to do just has trouble with knowing when she "needs " to go

1 Like

We were 3 girls, 2boys. Girls being the oldest and having not male figure in the home (also to prevent urine mess all around toilet seat) we potty trained them sitting down.
We kept reminding them through out the day to let us know if they had to go pee or use the bathroom. When we had to go, we’d take the boys and had them use the toilet so they’d learn what/how it was.

My son was the same way. He pottied sitting down till he got the hang of it, then when he was tall enough to reach we switched him to standing up and to ‘shoot’ into the hole.

My son sat first, his training seat even had a splash guard. He was only 2 ½ so he was too short to stand.

2 Likes

Get a small step stool and they can start out standing up.

1 Like

Throw some Cheerios in the bowl and tell him to shoot.

5 Likes

Throw some Cheerios and tell them to aim at them haha. My boys got a kick out of it.

2 Likes

I had 3 boys and I had them pee in a can.

Just wait until the child goes on his/her own. The child will by 6 if neurotypical. There’s no need for “training”. Kids who decide to go on their own are less likely to regress or have accidents.

Start with sitting ! … have him pantless when At home makes it easier . Once he older and tall enough can teach him to stand . He won’t need to extra cleaning right now just pee and go lol . Once they are bigger and the skin is able to retract ( do not force the skin back ) then teach them to pull it back and clean it !

1 Like

I taught mine to sit. He’s 4 and only stands at urinals. I’ve saved myself the hassle of years of cleaning up pee/sitting on pee. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Sit first! I have 3 boys

I have 1 boy and 2 girls, once they started walked I kept a kids potty in the bathroom and I let them show interest first, once they did I’d bring them to the bathroom roughly every hour. Once my son understood and was able to control himself thats when I started to show him how to stand. I was a single mom as well .

2 Likes

I started my boy when he started standing by himself.8 months.I took off his diaper after every nap and helped him stand while saying peepee!!!he is a year and 3 months now and pees almost every time I take him

My son has a potty seat with a shield that’s what he uses. He’s almost 3. His dad shows him how to stand and do it

I was a single mom for the first 3 years of my sons life. My mom actually played a big part in him potty training, as he was with her when I was at work. We would have him sit, and cover up his pee pee with some toilet paper so it didn’t get the whole room. He’s now 7 and has been peeing like a big boy standing up for a good 3 or 4 years now. Had to have a little stool in each bathroom so he would be able to aim in.

But, moral of the story is do what works for you both. No need to add on additional stress of “what should and shouldn’t be done”. Frankly, as long as you’re not having him pee in the tub or, out a window or anything ridiculous like that you’re doing the best you can and he will appreciate that when he gets older and it clicks in that his mom had to teach him boy things that aren’t within your wheelhouse but did your best. He will learn to stand to pee regardless if he starts sitting down. Before you walk, you gotta crawl right?

2 Likes

Started by telling my 3 to pee outside lol. They found it more fun. Even stood like a dude acting like I was peeing to show them what to do lol. Put a few cheerios in the toilet tell him shoot, aim and fire. Lol

2 Likes

I had my son sit to start and then taught him how to pee on a tree standing up lol

1 Like

I taught my son to sit at first and he has since adjusted to standing
It really seemed to be the best course of action in my opinion lol

My son is 4 and he still sits.

My son was completely different… but when people told me when he’s ready you’ll know lol… and honestly… we were on him and on him… he finally just did it when he was 3 1/2. … I know later then usual but all of our kids are different.

With my son I taught him to sit first while holding it pointed down (to prevent shootong all over the bathroom) until he was tall enough to go in the big toilet. I also taught him to grab and aim. I also taught him to wipe off with toilet paper.

I put my kids on the toilet backwards. They had a fear of falling in and being flushed. Yes, they flushed alot, but they were all potry trained by two. I saw someone gave their child washable markers and let them draw on the toilet lid while sitting. Don’t fret too much about it, all children are different and they will potty train at their own pace. Good Luck

1 Like

I am currently training my 3 year old. It has its ups and downs. Get him to sit 1st. I catch my son standing to pee because he sees his older brother and Dad do it. Honestly, I’ve heard putting a cheerio or fruit loop in the potty and making a game out of it helps but I’ve not tried it myself. We make a super big commotion when he goes. Lots of high fives, dancing and yelling lol. If he has a favorite character, buy him underwear and tell him not to pee/poop on them. You can also get him a standing potty for boys. It has a little spinny thingy in the middle to help with aim. You can also let him pee outside off the back porch lol. If you live in the country/boonies. Thats what some of my family said to do but we live in a small city with close neighbors so we opted out of that lol. Good luck. Just remember, lots of patience and messes. So be prepared.

Throw some fruit loops and tell him to aim at them… :rofl: Thats what i did with my kid

4 Likes

Sitting!! And just dedicate a few days where he’s just in underwater pull ups they usually treat like diapers. Lots of rewards and sit on the potty every 30 min!

1 Like

Sit first. When he’s tall enough, have him aim for a cheerio in the bowl.

1 Like

Get a potty chair and take him every hour. When he first wakes up from sleeping. They will get the hang of it. Just have patience momma! My son is 6 and has an over active bladder. So don’t get upset if he don’t get it. It just takes consistency and time

I trained mine to sit. Otherwise your bathroom will reek. I also had them use toilet paper. Shaking pee drops all over the bathroom is disgusting.

1 Like

All boys are different honestly. My first two boys sat when they peed but my 3rd boy always wanted to stand. Let him let you know what feels more comfortable to him show him both ways. I always told them to pee and aim for the “hole”… I also had a little boy who was afraid to poop in the toilet and I bribed him a little. Lol toys that he could choose from a basket if he done his business. Small cheap toys from the dollar store. And never used any “pull ups” always underwear. They eventually understand that it is gross to be wet from pee and learn to go before they pee on themselves… potty training is hard momma… just research and do what feels best for you and your son. Good luck momma

I have my oldest sit and he points his peepee down in the toilet

I legit put a potty in front of tv and when they were at an age they’d sit on it a few times a day whilst watching tv it got to a point where they realised what was going on and only needed to sit when they needed to go

1 Like

Let him be naked for 3 days straight and take him potty, sitting, every 20 minutes.

I didn’t use the pull-ups bc he thought that he can still pee or :poop: in those. I went to get him some cute little boxers and start taking him every 30 min. Asking, make him feel brave and smart by getting into this new process for him and i did trained mine to sit first because even with the step stool he was scare of falling. Took me 2 weeks but always remember every child it’s different​:heart:

My son is 2, he pees in a little potty standing up. I have to remind him to hit the hole a good bit though :joy: we’re still working on pooping, for that he sits down. I started with him sitting to pee and he just started standing on his own. You can try sitting them backwards on the toilet and throw something in to get him a target :joy:

2 Likes

I have 2 boys and they both started with sitting

My son did it by himself we got a potty and tried everything he would not use it then one day he woke up and took himself to the potty and bang never in nappies again it was just after he turned 3 and he usually sits unless we go out then he stands at the “big toliet” like daddy does :joy:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train girls? - Mamas Uncut

Long time ago. But I had potties on both floors and allowed him to run around the house naked so lots of early success. Must say drove my poor mother bonkers to see him naked when she dropped by. Did the same with daughter following year. She basically taught herself.

6 Likes

I went through this too. I taught mine too sit first,then as he got taller taught him to aim for the Cheerios. Yes there’s an extra step with uncircumcised boys,you have to teach them to clean every time.

24 Likes

Deep breath, it’s not that hard. Sitting is fine. If he wants to stand, also fine. Provide a small potty or a cover to sit on a regular toilet. Read a kids book from the library about pee&poo. Let him lead, as he knows his body. Uncircumcised is fine, the skin doesn’t detach from the head till they are older (do NOT let a dr pull it back and do not pull on it; let him do whatever, he won’t hurt himself). Teach him to wipe the tip with a square of paper but don’t worry to much if he skips. Rincing in bath or shower regularly is enough, just have him dry or air it out after, human body is pretty self cleaning if we don’t mess with it or over soap it.

2 Likes

I would say sit first .I have two boys now adult but I actually don’t remember what I did they just learn so easily .I was a single mom .

3 Likes

Let’s Boys Sit in the Pot fr. 5 mins. Then Get them off if the Potty Chair. If They Do Something in the Pot ,show them & Love on them & tell them " How Good they Was "!! Wash Their Hands & walk them to Kitchen & give Them A Good Treat. If they Don’t Try & go to Toilette in So many Hrs. But Their Not Wet Walk them Back to Potty Chair Every 4 hrs & sit them There fr. 5 mins. Again Wash Their Hands & Brag in them. Take them to Kitchen fr. Treat. They Will Realize to Associate these Acts together After 2&3 mins. They Should Be Trained. Remember, Until they Are Really Trained they Wear Diapers at Night!!! Use pool ups the Minute You Get them up & put them on the Pot. Most Girls Train themselves !!! They are Faster by 2yrs.

1 Like

I taught my son by letting him go outside worked like a charm for him

24 Likes

In my opinion, the use of pull-ups instead of training pants is part of the problem. My experience, admittedly many years ago, was that when they went and it ran down their legs and into their shoes, they learned rather quickly.

14 Likes

When I taught my son’s to go number 2 I told them when I needed to go and then I made the grunting and pushing face and then I showed them where the number 2 goes. I was very careful and kept my front area covered. It worked perfectly.

Fruit loops in the bowl for a boy. The game is to sink the cereal. Teaches them aim also. Worked with my son.

1 Like

Cherrios did not work. He wanted to know why his cereal was in water not mik and wanted to eat them

2 Likes

Having raised four boys the best thing was to have them not wear any pants or underwear - they would always go potty. Take them into the bathroom with you.
They also never liked a “delegate” potty - always used the big potty with an adaptor seat of needed.
Then lots of positive reinforcement.

The most important thing is to teach him to aim use Cheerios or toilet paper !

5 Likes

When I was a nanny I potty trained a little boy and i just moved the potty out into the living room and had him sit on it every 30 minutes for a couple minutes with a movie and within 2 days he was nearly fully potty trained pee wise ! #2 was definitely I little harder it took probably another two weeks to get him to poop in the toilet but it was more a fear rather so after lots of encouragement he caught on! We used treats the first couple weeks with him to build the confidence! He learned to stand in his own time when he was ready too!!!

3 Likes

Tinkle targets. We cut out power rangers and floated them in the toilet and my nephew tried to pee on them
For a prize. It taught him aim and control.
Worked like a charm and he LOVED going potty

4 Likes

When my children went on the potty we made up songs, clapped and then waved pee and poops good bye so they were not afraid… it was a big deal to flush the urine and bms good bye! :wave:

1 Like

We Sat first then when fully trained we started standing up . I started standing him up to pee outside first so it was no pressure. But yes because my first boy had no male around to go by he sat like mommy and I found out that lots of moms trained sitting down for boys it’s just less messy and way easier

3 Likes

It’s easiest to train them sitting down. That way they can sit and learn how to control their penis. Plus they might have the urge to poop at the same time and may not know exactly how to hold their bowels while trying to pee standing up.

6 Likes

Make sure to let him pick out big boy character undies at the store to trade his diapers for. Then I would face my son towards the potty, ball up toilet paper, throw it in and tell him to pee on the paper to sink it. Worked like a charm!

Yes agree w all above sit first, when he is taller n more control standing n aim for cheerios, go outside is easy for boys, too. My experience boys r closer to 3yrs old to be ready. Just my experience…much easier that age. If u try n he shows no interest in a week. He’s not ready. Peddling on 3 wheels uses the same muscles to hold n release. So if he can do that much easier. I’m against pull ups except at night. Feels too much like a diaper to them. If they r actually wearing underwear n feel it go down their leg they will start to not like that n neither will u lol. Don’t push it. If it’s not going well it’s OK to step back wait some more time.

3 Likes

I had three boys in three years. I put them in briefs early and took them to the toilet every few hours. They soon got the hang of peeing in the toilet bowl. I had a secure potty seat on toilet and would put son on it and read to him whilst sitting on bidet. Made a big thing if they did a bowel action and praised them. I took the child up at night to the toilet before we went to bed and encouraged them to pee. Of course I did have my husband who showed them to pee in the toilet. I don’t remember it as a problem.

3 Likes

there is no right way to potty train a boy, I used to sit by boys on the toilet until they learn to go by themselves then I showed them how to pee standing up. Good Luck???

My son was hard to potty train but we taught him how to sit first then once he was mostly trained his dad showed him standing. Dad has been there from day 1 but since I was with him all day it was easier to teach him to sit first

My son showed little interest at 2. Kept trying without pressure. Used the potty seat and had him follow dad. He knew all his colors and even metallic colors early. I asked if he could make yellow water. He got it overnight. The cherrios idea was great to use when he was tall enough to stand by the toilet

1 Like

When I started potty training my daughters my Mama told me to take them into the bathroom every time I went and sat them on the potty seat .it worked .my oldest daughter started taking my youngest one to the bathroom when she went too .she was alot of help .she was 2 years old then

I trained my boys in the summer so they could just wear little shorts they could pull down and I had them sit backwards on the toilet so they could lean forward. I dropped a couple cherrios in the water as targets

1 Like

When I potty trained my son, I had a potty chair that was separate from the big commode. I tried a whistle on one side and a horn on the other side. If he made urine, he got to blow the whistle and I made a big deal about it. If he had a bowel movement, he got to blow the horn ( same big deal). Give him a small cup of juice every 15 minutes so he would have to urinate.
We called it pee pee and boom boom.

I taught my sons at first to sit backwards on the toilet like he was riding a horse then when he was tall enough a Cheerio in the water to aim at!

1 Like

Sit first, be consistent. My son trained in 1 weekend. Every 1/2 hour put him on potty. He was 2 1/2. After the weekend he was trained. At night for a week he stayed dry, took off diapers completely.

I bought a urinal for my son. He learned almost right away how to pee in it.

I had 3 boys and a girl, the boys were easier. Put a spot in the training potty for them to hit, everytime they use said potty, they got a skittle and utmost praise. Also let them hit a tree now and then

I used the m&m method everytime they sit on the potty they get a couple. Yes they try a lot the first few days and they forget and just potty They alway got new books by the potty so they relax and go. I did all three of mine this way and they were trained in less than two weeks

My son sits on the toilet facing backwards. I figured once we get the potty training down then he can choose to stand if he’d like. If they face backward it helps the pee go down and they stay on the toilet without falling in better.

I would put Cheerios or whatever cereal the kid had available and tell them to sink them and make a game out of it it works great

you got to put them on the potty before they can sit on their own even or you missed the bus. At 6 month you can hold their hand and sit infront of them on the potty telling them to do it making sounds they understand.

I took my son in with me a single mom every time I went from being in an infant carrier to when he was starting to walk at that time he was trying to go on the big toilet pulling his diapers down, he really trained himself, he’s 49 now lol.So he sat first.

I used a coffee can with a quarter of it full of water and a few Cheerios. I told him to aim for the Cheerios and every time he sank one he would get a quarter. He loved it. And it made it so much easier to potty train.

I used to watched triplets (2 girls 1 boy) we put cherrios in the toilet for him to aim for. He thought it was funny so he wanted to try and he learned aim.

1 Like

My two boys learned sitting first the work on standing ! Then when they go give them a treat I used M&M’s and gave them 2or 3 and they didn’t have them unless they went potty!

Depends on age.If he is dry when he wakes up set him on potty,to see if he will go,after that No pullups during day,training pants,you can get a small seat to fit over the toilet seat.Reward with stickers (make him a sticker chart)after he naps (if he naps) put him on potty first thing, he’ll catch on pretty quick,M&M’s can be used for rewards too,set goals for how well he does at potty,then reward for the successes

I never used a child potty. I always sat my boys backwards on the toilet . This way they were able to pee without it going everywhere. For poo we sat the regular way and I ALWAYS cleaned them after until they were some older and could do properly. If that makes since . Good luck.

Daycares teach boys to sit first. Especially since sometimes they push to pee & poo at the same time. You can call your pediatrician about cleaning after pee since he’s not circumcised. Good luck. I taught mine to stand up when he was 3-4. You will know when he’s ready.

We lived out in the country back then so I taught him the firemans drill…

1 Like

Push it. Between his legs while he’s sitting down. When he has that mastered and wants to stand, use Cheerios to help him aim

Yes teach him to sit first, If you don’t he will poop his pants for a very long time. It’s not that hard, be consistent.

Depends on the child wether to sit or stand. Sitting might be easier if you’re toilet is to high and he can’t balance good on a stool. If he’s fine standing put a cheerio in the toilet and have him aim for it. But be sure to tell him to sit and poop. Not kidding you that a boy tried to turn backwards to a toilet and aim his poop in the toilet. :joy::woman_facepalming:

I think every child should start by sitting down on the potty and when something happens we all party :partying_face: then once they have that down we taught my nephew to stand up by peeing outside

Theres a video that shows how to potty train your son. He can ho Commando if hes home

Sit first, i think boys are easier but it also depends on the child and lots of patience