How to stop yelling at your kids?

First just breath. Next take a step back and look at the whole picture. Was the 4 yr olds tantrums the same before you had the 10 month old or have they gotten worse. Little man im sure is feeling all the changes he now has a little sister and there is a baby on the way that is alot for a little one and their emotions get the best of them to. Remember to always pick your battles. Make sure you are involving him as nuch as he would like to be with the babies. I woukd start by giving him small tasks/chores/jobs to keep him busy im talking help mom dry the dishes or help throw clothes in the washer make him feel like a big kid. Maybe try a quiet time 30 minutes or an hour try to sit down with him and get him to ā€˜readā€™ to you. When something upsets you take a deep breath and try to count to 10 before you react, even a short 10 seconds to think about what you are going to do or say can make all the difference in how you respond and how he will respond.

Honestly any attention is attention even uf its negative so he may act out even more to get that attention.

1 Like

Try playing with your 4 year old. Interact with him. Get down on his level and explain why what he did it wrong. It all starts when theyā€™re younger. If you let them keep doing it, itā€™s harder to correct it when they get older.

1 Like

Being pregnant with two little ones is hard. Your oldest may be attention seeking, maybe try giving him some one on one time with you? Extra snuggles, time out with just the two of you, reading and playing extra? Let him know these babies arent changing your relationship with him. He may be scared hes gonna be left out. Alternatively, if you can afford it, maybe preschool? Getting time for education while also meeting children his own age might help. As for the baby, I know its hard to let them cry, but dont let the baby crying interrupt your one on one time with your oldest unless they actually need something.

Girl. I have a four year old daughter, a 10 month old son and Iā€™m 27 weeks pregnant. I used to yell All. The. Time. At my sweet daughter. Sheā€™s such a sweet kid and so smart and independent and Iā€™d get so upset when she would act out. Then one day I took a step back, reflected and discovered that I was the problem. She acts out when sheā€™s feeling neglected by me because bad attention is better than no attention. When I started actively trying to make sure her and I got one on one time after my fiancĆ© gets home, our whole house changed. Donā€™t get me wrong, she does still have sass and sometimes I still yell. But I learned that at the end of the day, my baby needed to be with just me for a while since Iā€™m so focused on her brother. Maybe this is the case for you too.

3 Likes

I feel ya. Iā€™ve gone through that. I would put headphones in and walk away during fits.

Itā€™s time to start school! I mean heā€™s obviously bored and probably very bright! My Stepdaughter has a 13, 11, 3 and 4 month old. The older boys are in school and they have other activities. 3 year old was driving her crazy even with my help taking him out every other week. Preschool has really helped! He gets to interact with others and it fits his curiosity and he loves learning new things! Just a suggestion. Thereā€™s lots of free and pay based programs and also Public Schools that start early.

3 Likes

If you are always carrying the baby he might be a little jealous and trying to get your attentionā€¦ Also a lot of kids act out when mom is pregnant ( my older one certainly did) just take a deep breathā€¦ this too shall passā€¦
In the meantime try to make a big deal and praise him a lot when he does something right (thatā€™s a way to get them to repeat the good behavior), buy little projects for him to do to keep him busy and consider preschool if he is 4 already. I donā€™t know where you are located but over here headstart and public school that have a pre-K program are free so that might be an alternative especially once the new baby arrives. Good luck!

2 Likes

Put the 10 month old down cuddle with the 4 year old long enough to read a book twice a day. Also you need to let the 19 month old get used to not being held so much new baby will need more of your time. 4 year old acts or because he wants attention. You need to learn to set aside special time with him even when new baby comes. That time can include helping you with house work he is old enough to help sort laundry a good activity to teach colors. He can help with dishes and even some cooking. When he is good and helps out give him huge praises and big hugs make sure he knows you are proud that he is a big helpful boy.

5 Likes

4 year olds do not know right from wrong. Thatā€™s why they need adults to teach. Children train their brain to filter out yelling. The problem is your a mom who is overworked and no support. You need time out to yourself. Hire a babysitter and talk a few hours to do what you wantšŸ˜‡

6 Likes

He is probably needing extra attention. Bad attention is better than none. If youā€™re always carrying the 10 month old around then heā€™s feeling left out and soon there will be another baby ā€¦ heā€™s wanting to be noticed and if the only way he can be noticed is by acting up; then he will. Somehow take time for him too and his behavior may change.

1 Like

First I would really start one of the hundreds of on line parenting help classes. I have heard good things about them. Get the books and read them. For God sake it cant hurt! Next find an outlet outside the home asap! Take night classes 2 nights a week after your husband is home? Night classes for anything?: College, higher education, certificate programs, flowers, cake decorating, photography, cooking, computer classes, hobby classes!!! Shit maybe even kickboxing or some type of Karate classes??? Next see about a sitter or daycare 2 days a week? Ask friends and family. Get a small part time job outside the home. We tell more when we are with our kids too much. Some time put of the house will be good for you, and good for the kids too.

I know I will get bashed for thisā€¦ But with all the birth control options out there I do not understand why not just this lady but many women I know and see will have 3,4,5 even a 6pack as a girl I know calls it. I just do not understand I have a 7 and 14 year old and it is hard I do not know how I would have done it and provided for them if I had more especially if they were born close together. Idk just my thoughts. I dont mean to bash I just do not understand and I feel bad seeing so many moms with so many children post how they need help.

1 Like

It never stops the yelling cause kids are demons and donā€™t listen until mom completely loses her mind

5 Likes

Prepare some special items in a tote that are only allowed for when your on your break and dad can supervise. Let the kids put stickers on it and explain what itā€™s for. Start putting that baby down. Crying will last a few days but eventually it will get better. You need to take charge. Let loose and Find some fun moments in each day, like playing music and dancing. A reward system of 6 gummies for afternoon clean up before a fun moment helps promote a positive afternoon. My kids loved music playing while I prepped dinner. But after clean up time was done. Schedule what works for you.

1 Like

How sad. I have a 3 yr old and a 14 month old. I canā€™t imagine constant yelling at them even though my oldest daughter gets into EVERYTHING . A 4 year old doesnā€™t know right from wrong. Some adults donā€™t even know right from wrong. U have ur hands full and maybe getting someone to help you would help. You do need to learn some PATIENCE & find a way to de-stress. This ainā€™t going anywhere especially with a new one on the way. You will just need more patience after the 3rd one comesā€¦

4 Likes

Make a safe room in your house, with a comfy couch. Nothing breakable and no toys that can damage anything. No crayons to write on the walls, nothing he can hurt himself with. Then you can nurse your baby or nap without stress or worry.

1 Like

Try to remember, they will be what you tell them and how you say it. Youā€™re breaking your kids.

I went looking for help when I was at my witā€™s end. Your Dr can send you in a few directions. We all get warn down and exhausted. Youā€™ve got alot going on. My hubby worked long days aswell, which made it so exhaustingā€¦

1 Like

Your 4yo needs much more if your attention than heā€™s getting, apparently. I only have a 4yo and itā€™s a struggle.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure itā€™s your hormones, having that said I would very much advise to not yell at your kids, also look into mindful parenting. Maybe a calming corner for him and I think you can do therapy online now and set the appointment for after heā€™s home. You may want to start explains why itā€™s expected etc before having to correct him. He may be doing a bit of regression too due to the baby plus with one on the way he may be feeling left out. Maybe a Mommy son night out or even just time with you and him without the baby once hubby gets home. Definitely make some special time to focus directly on him. Hope it gets better. You have alot going on and give yourself grace. You may be dealing with a little post partum anger as well as hormones due to having Irish twins. Everything will get better and this too shall pass.:pray:

Sounds like the 4 year old missed just having your attention. When you get home.

Preschool for the 4 year old. Even if itā€™s half day. Heā€™ll feel like a big kid and gain independence plus great social skills with his peers.

3 Likes

Well first of all, stop having kids :roll_eyes: how you gonna add another and manage 3 if you canā€™t even manage 2? Kids are going to throw tantrums, yelling at them isnā€™t going to do a damn thing but create a barrier between you and them where you arenā€™t there ā€œsafe placeā€ anymore. You can punish and be firm/strict without yelling.

After You have this child .Put them in Daycare, of Preschool and get You a Job. This will safe You and Your marriage.

1 Like

Got him a rock/ crystal/ geode kit off amazon!!! I promise. It will save your sanity

Unfortunately thatā€™s just what kids are like

listen to him he is trying to help you, to be so little and smart he is on your side. find what he likes and give him special time. he is growing into his person help him and yourself at the same time. love him always it will work. good mom you have a grand heart and soul

5 Likes

I think first, there needs to be a better understanding of child development here. He may be really smart and know right from wrong, that doesnā€™t mean he has impulse control adequate enough to manage his impulses, which is entirely developmentally appropriate for his age. It really sounds like you need help. He comes to you more because you are home with him all day. It may be time to look into getting a sitter one day a week so you can recoup.

4 Likes

Girlā€¦ itā€™s not you lol kids can be crazy jerks! I could not imagine having more than one. My 3yr old keeps me spinning, he never stops! Itā€™s so overwhelming! Good luck, donā€™t beat yourself up.

1 Like

I would say put them on a schedule. Be consistent and firm about it. Maybe get them checked for ADHD if you can just to rule that out. They obviously have alot of energy. Channel it to something positive. Wear them out to a point theyā€™re too tired to act up. Ie take them to a pool, to the park, something to expend the energy. You can get therapy via some phone/video call methods now a days. Bless you. Whatever you do, get ahead of this while they are young. Its our responsibility to raise kids to make this fkd up world a better place.
As far as coping, I garden and take prozac. Good luck.

1 Like

I have one child. She turned 4 in may, which we also just moved into our own home again after a couple of years. My dad also sold my childhood home and moved in with his girlfriend. So theres been alot of stress, anxiety and tears involvedā€¦since we moved Iā€™ve came back to my roots of reading and itā€™s really helped. We now have a privacy fenced in yard so if I bring the dog in I CAN always send our child to the backyard to play if Iā€™m feeling rough and need a few moments. Iā€™ve felt the EXACT same way as you and been struggling with the yelling. Iā€™m deaf in my left ear and deaf to high pitch noises in my right so when I yell it is MUCH louder than what I think I sound likeā€¦my husband would come home after working a long day to our child and I fighting, me screaming and hed turn around and leave for a bit. Iā€™ve really had to tone it down a few notches, screaming doesnt help anything.

1 Like

Try following Big Little Feelings, they are very helpful. Maybe hubby could give you some time to yourself at unconventional times but at least take the kids off your hands a little more often so you can get a break.

My mom use to beat my ass & I still love my mom. She done the right thing because we was bad kids. My kids arenā€™t very bad or really donā€™t need whippings. But if they do I donā€™t use a belt. & if I did it shouldnā€™t matter m. We all raise our kids different. As long as you ainā€™t beating your kid then I think itā€™s ok. You canā€™t be mad at the next person for doing what they think is right. We was all taught differently. I get where most of yā€™all are coming from. But we are all different with different opinions. :heart:

You gotta learn when to pick your battles. My girls are 4 years apart as well and this has been my struggle as well. Make sure you explain everything. Positive discipline is a thing and it works great! Itā€™s difficult to get started but it works great! Watch Supernanny on YouTube. Shes great

1 Like

Put him to work!!! Best advice I can give u! Get him involved more! Have him stay busy it may seem like it puts more work on u but I can almost guarantee itā€™ll help!!! Structure truly changed my household! And if u know itā€™s wrong do better. Breathe a second before correcting the situation. Even if itā€™s just literally a breath. And maybe make dedicated time just for him. U recently had a baby. And are now pregnant his life has flipped upside down in the past yr. And I totally get the husband part u know what Iā€™ve started doing is saying yes but mommy needs a break go ask ur dad to help u. Felt bad at first but since Iā€™ve been a sahm itā€™s just became routine for my kids to ask me. (I still help but it definitely lightens my load)
Kids can be overwhelming. Sounds silly but truly try to make ur life easier go to bed a little earlier pregame for the next dayā€¦ hopefully itā€™ll all click and become a routine for u aswell :heart:

1 Like

This is me some days too! I sounds like a banshee just yelling and everything the kids do set me off!
Other days Iā€™ll be fine and calm and get on with the day. I spoke to my GP and she said most likely stress related and referred me to speak to someone which Iā€™m still waiting for, but even that talk has helped.
Post natal rage is also a thing!

My 3 year old daughter has very highs and super lows to where her emotions get the best of her every time. We have a calming corner for when she has her episodes we tell her to go to her chair and sit there for a little bit then when she is calm we go and talk to her about why we sent her to her corner and what we can do so she doesnā€™t react the way she did. I have a bad problem for yelling at my kids as well and I apologize to them every time I do it. Just take a second while everything is going on and breathe and then continue to talk to them instead of yelling.

Get a baby wrap and wear the 10 month old. 4 year wants your attention but cant get because babe is getting it all. Donā€™t interact with the tantrum when your mad sounds crazy but works. Stop and take a deep breath. Tell him no and walk away. 4 is a hard age. Hopefully 10 month old will be out of that phase by the time babe gets there

I just have to say, thank you. This is such a real thing and you being brave and asking for help is huge!!! Put on your cape and take a deep breath.

Thatā€™s all I can offer and I hope you feel better soon. Hugs!

The fact that you worry about being a good parent says a lotā€¦ If you didnā€™t care, you wouldnā€™t care! I know with Covid it might be more difficult to find but maybe there is a local Motherā€™s Day out program. My son went twice a week when he was 4 & it was good for both of us to get a little break from each other.

My youngest was my terrorist, therapy helped. Big lesson learned stop telling him all the things heā€™s doing wrong. IGNORE them. Only comment on the good things heā€™s doing, it was super hard but within a few days wow our relationship changed, he became loving, helpful and so sweet. Good luck momma!

Put a childproof doorknob cover/babygate/whatever to keep 4yr old in their room and put the baby in their crib. Give yourself a break for like 5-10 min when you start feeling overwhelmed. When dad is home and gives you a break, go for a walk outside or just sit outside so you will be out of sight out of mind from the kids. As far as the 10m old always requiring to be held, distract them with something or redirect them so they wonā€™t be wanting to be held 24/7. Not having to hold a child all day will make things so much easier on you. They both probably just want a lot of attention right now. Iā€™d say give them more activities. Outside play time, playdough, coloring, painting, etc.

Believe it or not the transition from 1 to 2 was the hardest. It got easier with #3 and even easier with #4. Everything youā€™re going through is normal & your awareness of your yelling is something some moms donā€™t question. They wonā€™t be challenging forever so give yourself a break & hang in there. You got this!

I have a 4yr old son and an almost 2yr old girl and Iā€™m 23 weeks pregnant so I know what your going thru try the ignore method and he is 4 so get him in preschool it will help and give you a little while to breath mine do it out of attention

Best advice I can give pick your battles sometimes if what they are doing or getting into wonā€™t hurt them just let them even if they are not supposed to be doing that. It is for your sanity and occasionally if you ignore what they do to make you mad they stop that particular behavior

Try some mommy and me time with ur oldest. Some of it could be jealousy. My oldest would get in rages at times and it came down to he wanted me like it was before his brother came. So we started with 2 days a week when the baby napped we did a picnic in the livingroom or back yard. Then once a month Iā€™d take just him to Chinese. He loved the one on one time. Now hes 10 and still ask mommy to take him on a day date or just go on a walk with him.

I have a 1.5 yr old almost 3 year old and a 4.5 yr old. You my dear need a yes zone for your kids specially once baby 3 comes. We have a play room and obviously their bedrooms are yes zones what that means is they can make a mess play with all their toys trash the place whatever and you donā€™t yell. The only time mine get in trouble in the yes zone is for being mean. Itā€™s a safe space for them and you will yell a lot less lol to be honest I only clean their rooms 2 or 3 times a week. They will pick up when I tell them to at night then a couple times a week we all do so I can vacuum. It really saved me and I donā€™t yell so much

Had to learn this the hard way with boys, if heā€™s already mid meltdown he is NOT going to stop until heā€™s tired so the best thing you can do for the both of you and your sanity is get some earplugs (you can still hear with them in it just tones down the screeching) place him in a timeout spot that you will check on him every 4 or so minutes and wait it out, if he gets up you put him back even if itā€™s 20 times and ignore the behavior, when heā€™s finally calmed down get on his level get him to look at you in the face so you know heā€™s ready to communicate and ask him if heā€™s ready to talk, if you are met with whining yelling or crying simply tell him ā€œwe will try again in a couple of minutesā€ and repeat they get tired of it really quick usually as long as you are consistent

Loud happy musicā€¦ He is four. All he really knows how to do is get your attentionā€¦ Start having him help with baby. Make everything sound like an adventure and exciting. Biggest mistake parents make us telling or kids what to do instead of including them in this adventure called life.

Itā€™s your problem not the kidsā€™
Stop yelling and use a gentle tone
Your words become their inner voice
Stop before itā€™s too late

Sorry so long. I have 4 myself. One was extremely colicky. Another had severe ear infections. And the girls were almost 18mos apart. This is what worked for me mostly. Sometimes you just need to breathe through it. The baby needs to learn you canā€™t hold them continuously. Youā€™re helping to set a pattern. Play w your older child. Have him help you w the 10mo old. Supervised of course. Once he sees you relax heā€™ll chill out some. Yes youā€™re hormonal. Kids look for any response even to negative behaviour. When dad gets home tell him and them that momma is putting herself in timeout because you know you reacted poorly. Nothing wrong w thatā€¦ Take a bath read a little. Whatever. When you get"out". Ask your little one if he wants to help you prepare something in the kitchen for dinner or a snack. Read a baby book to the baby. Remember youā€™re spouse s/o whatever isnā€™t babysitting theyā€™re watching their kids. Youā€™ll find yourself in a happier mood by reminding yourself youā€™re only human. Kids donā€™t come w handbooks. Youā€™ll be ok.

We moms get burned out too since the pandemic Iā€™ve been a stay at home mom i feel worthless and very unappreciated by everyone all I do is cook, clean, cook, clean make sure everyone is good yet no one gives a damn about me. I like making my own money, but as a mom I have to sacrifice and keep my kids home schooled. Sucks but worth it just need to find a sancho or sancha to make me smile againā€‹:rofl::rofl:

Probably would sound impossible, but 5-10 minutes uninterrupted play with your 4 yr old. Play what he wants to play, 10 minutes of being in the spot light of the person he loves the most. No phones, try to set it up during little ones nap time or when the little is being independent.

Activities with your 4 yo might help. A morning walk, a car ride, a trip to the park, coloring or art, especially outside like with chalk. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed. Whenever my 1 yo starts to get fussy I take her outside, even if itā€™s just for a few minutes and her whole attitude changes once we come back inside. Kids get bored but donā€™t know how to tell you they are bored. As for the 10 mo, a swing doesn wonders, and you might have to let the little one cry a bit until they are used to it. Take time for yourself, ask a friend to come over and help, or when hubby comes home, take 30 minutes for yourself outside of the house (walk drive, read, whatever) so you donā€™t feel so overwhelmed and that way no one can bother you bc youā€™re not home.

I started babysitting at 11, helped raise half of our town, then ran the day care in our church for five years. I have two kids and four grandsons. I can tell you one thing, as soon as you start yelling that child tunes you out and stops listening. They do not respond to finding them doing wrong and telling them all about it. Think about it, most of your interactions are negative. Children respond much better when you catch them doing something right and praise them for it. They remember the positive interactions more than the negative ones. Take a deep breath and let me give you a couple hints.
Keep them on a schedule and keep them busy. They donā€™t have time to get in trouble and you can have more opportunities to praise them. Have a schedule like a daycare. Breakfast, wash up, TV time, craft time, lunch time, nap time, snack time, etcā€¦
It really works! And do yourself a favor, make it fun and easy. Fingerpaint with chocolate pudding, make edible play dough, put heavy cream and a pinch of salt in a baby food jar and let them dance and shake it until itā€™s butter, get an ice cream ball and let them roll it across the floor to each other to make ice cream. Put them to work helping you with dishes or dusting. They will be proud of their work and you can praise themā€¦and go back and do it for them when they wonā€™t know. It will build their self-esteem. Children learn what they live. Do you want them to yell and scream at your grandkids someday?

So whipping your child With a belt is illegal and not the answer. Itā€™s not worth jail time. Try taking away favorite toys, special privileges, time out facing the wall, a snack on the butt( no you arenā€™t going to scar him for life)

Sometimes I find itā€™s not that Iā€™m disciplining wrong but Iā€™m PLAYING WRONG! Distraction, positive reinforcement, staying busy with fun activities can keep them out of trouble. Like 1 cabinet they are allowed to play and explore in, or dress up in moms clothes, sitting in a cardboard box and color. Youā€™re probably disciplining just fine just need positive distractions to stay out of trouble and thatā€™s great alive for all ages!

Aww Mumma, sending hugs! Although I didnā€™t have this problem my oldest who is also 4 (5 in October) she did become a little rebellious. But as soon as I noticed it happening I started taking her out on weekends with Bub at home with Hubby (not sure if youā€™re able to do this with your hubbies long hours) we went and got nails done, sometimes just went to the park, a picnic, or just anything to spend one on one time. At the moment during lockdown thereā€™s not much we can do and she gets super bored. My 8 month old has always been a needy baby and most days very hands on. When she goes for her nap I try my best to do some drawing, play a game that she likes with her on the iPad, go outside so she can run around and out new thing is watching a movie together of a night with popcorn when my 8 Month old goes to bed. Sometimes I donā€™t have the energy, itā€™s quiet hard to keep the energy flowing from one child to another. If u can do little things with your 4 year old while bubby is sleeping, give it a go. Maybe let him pick. I recently put my 8 month old into Family Daycare one day a week so I can dedicate a day with my 4 year old, we call it our ā€œgirly dayā€ and she paints my nails, does my make up and my hair :rofl: I know this might all sound easier said then done but little steps at a time Mumma. Donā€™t put so much pressure on yourself, everyoneā€™s life & children are different. Thereā€™s always light at the end of the tunnel. Hope everything gets better, youā€™re doing amazing :sparkles:

The 4 yr old you can put on a scheduled preschool type plan with scheduled snack time, activity time, nap timeā€¦ it sounds like a lot.of work but children thrive on a schedule. It letā€™s them know what to expect and gives you defined breaks. The 10 mo old should be given activities to do on a blanket during those similar times in order to get her used to not being in your arms. Textures, colors, soundsā€¦ let her experience different stimulation and of she starts crying about wanting to be held you get down with her and play instead. Show her this is what we are doing now.

Itā€™s really hard being pregnant and having small kids. Iā€™m pregnant with twins with a 3 yr old and I definitely have my days where I get severely overwhelmed. Sticking with the structure her school has does wonders. I got a cheap activity book from Walmart for 3 to 5 yr Olds and we work on numbers and letters, we color pictures, we do songsā€¦ it helps that I worked in daycare and had to keep 8 kids between 3 mo and 6 yrs entertained. But start separating both of them from constantly needing you now so you have the needed space when baby 3 comes.

Aw love, youā€™re not failing. Making mistakes is part of life. Give yourself and your kiddos some more grace to be human. Youā€™re burnt out, as anyone would be. Youā€™re still trying though and when you donā€™t know, youā€™re asking for help. Take a breath. You can do this. :heart:

Honestly, the best thing that helps me with my 5 year old is one-on-one time. Sheā€™s struggling with kindergarten and acting out. I put time aside when I pick her up to come home and play on the floor- no chores, no phones, just play. I let her control the conversation, but she knows Iā€™m listening with my eye contact and my follow up questions about her stories. She feels safe to tell me how she is feeling or a time that made her sad before. We talk about the feelings, I apologize if it was my behavior that caused those feelings and then we keep playing.
A play-time block of 15-25 minutes might be good. Start at 15 and work your way up to more playtime if thatā€™s easier for you. It was a battle for me to sit still that long and pretend play with shopkins. :sweat_smile:

We all want to be kinder parents. Kindness starts with connection. He comes to you because he needs to connect with you more. I can imagine youā€™re touched out. Maybe include play time that has you both finger painting or blowing bubbles. The last 5 minutes could be cuddling time.
Good luck, mama. Perfection isnā€™t how children measure love, support is. You got this :heart:

Therapy NEEDS to be an a option, it sounds like. If itā€™s hurting your family then you figure out a way to make it work so you can fix these issues. :woman_shrugging:t3: you just do it.

have you looked into BetterHelp? i have not used it. but iā€™ve heard great things. And you can do therapy at home. Something to consider

Omg i used to yell every day all day! I finally realized it wasnā€™t working for anyone. Now , she gets a warning and off to time out. If she yells or anything on the way or during, a minute gets added each time. If she did things she not supposed to, its writing time. I started that at 5. I write the sentence and she writes it ten times below it and she has to say it every time sheā€™s done with a line. Omg she hates it lol and the warning usually works now. I also have a behavior chart. Every time she esrns 20 stars she gets to pick out of the reward jar. It has papers with rewards written on it like go somewhere special, extra tablet time, go out for icecream, pick the movie on family night, get new paints, etc. For every unacceptable behavior she loses a star.

Make a concious decision , not to screamā€¦ its not healthy for u or your children, all that will happen they will develope thick skin and never have respect for you.

Glad Iā€™m not the only one, 8 month old and 4 year old. Same situation.

You need a time out with life! Spend sometime on yourself. Do something relaxing!

Have you tried getting him into Preschool? That would give you atleast 1/2 a day with just your 10 month old and he would make new friends and use alot of energy. My daughter is 4 and sheā€™s been in school since she was 3 ( 1/2 days) but Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s in a way better mood and she is always talking about her new friends and all the fun she has a school.

Barleans fish oil in key lime pie, for four year old! Helps regulate mood. Itā€™s a lifesaver for my 8 year old son!

So I have a special needs child and a 7 year old daughter.

1st step for me was: If you are seeing everyoneā€™s clean house and prefect kids. On social media thatā€™s not real. That is the part they want you to see. They have days where they can not get the motivation to clean and their kids misbehave. Kids spill things, break things, and get into things. That spilled juice wasnt worth the hurt my daughter would have if I yelled at her. Because when she was five and six I yelled at her because she took forever to do something. But I seen all that did was discourage her. So I dont anymore. I dont stress over the small stuff.

Put the child in his room take out anything you think might will hurt him. And put him in there even if itā€™s for 10 mins he will be okayā€¦ Give things for him to do if you cant. Like throwing all the dirty clothes in the washer like basketball. Or a race to see who could pick up the toys first winner gets to pick the movie for the night. My daughter loves being involved. So on especially rough days we make games out of everything.

When dad is home. Make your son ask him. My daughter was terrible about this. She would wait until I was up or home to ask me for anything. I finally told her ā€œAsk your dad, he is your parent too. And he will help youā€ itā€™s taking her a few months but now she ask her dad and gives me a break lol.
Also your 10 month old same thing. Give the baby to dad when he gets home.

On your husbandā€™s off days get out of the house for a bit. Walk around the block, go shopping, I have even went to the park and swung on the swings before lol.

Therapy is an option mine would let me bring my kids and even had toys for them

Part time daycare! pre-k or something along those lines I donā€™t know when kids can start these things lol

Naptime. Same time, every day. Start a routine for naps, toothbrushing, and bedtime(at least a half hour to put on pjs, brush teeth, use the toilet, and read a book) or youā€™ll have a harder time with 3 kids. Use that extra time to plan out activities for your son. Put your 10 month old down more. You need to teach your baby that they can play solo, or with the brother. Have a music time, learning time, and get your children involved with each other. Take more time to hold your son too. Explain to him you love him the same. Set consequences for bad behaviour.

Make sure your son and your 10 month old learns what cleaning is. My baby loved washing tables with a baby wipe, picking stuff off the floor (she never ate stuff on the floor because I taught her to hand it to me), & she takes pride in putting her toys away (ā€œAll clean!ā€ :open_hands:"Good job!").

Pretty soon your 10 month old will get into everything too. Put things on shelves or the top of the fridge. If thereā€™s something they keep getting into, tell them youā€™ll take it away if they donā€™t stop. Baby proof your cabinets. If your child is restless consider they are tired, hungry, need the bathroom, or need a distraction because they are bored.

Use a folder to keep track of your ā€œbusy activitiesā€. Keep it handy. Keep a bin of ā€œboredom goodiesā€ that you can give to your son when he needs something new to entertain him. Buy a kitchen timer. Give him 5 minutes to go crazy, run around the room or yard, and get out his excess energy. Heā€™ll love it. You can also use the timer for quiet time. You can call it ā€œmommy timeā€ & turn it into a whisper game. When the timer is up give them big hugs and thank them for giving mommy time to clear her head.

Put your baby in a bouncer near the kitchen too and ask your son to help you cook. Heā€™ll enjoy the time you spend together and will love pulling all the ingredients out for you & measuring things. Itā€™ll keep him out of things you donā€™t want him to and youā€™ll be able to keep an eye on both of them while things get done.

When you need to use the bathroom, ask your son to sit outside the door and sing to you. Tell him it helps you go potty faster. If you donā€™t hear him, say loudly in a sing-song tone: ā€œIā€¦ Cantā€¦ Hearā€¦ Youā€¦!ā€ Heā€™ll come running back.

I hope these tips help some. Good luck!

My body naturally zones out. Like when there is so much yelling and noise itā€™s like I can completely block it out. But then itā€™s hard to turn back on! :tired_face: I have 3 kids and my oldest was our hardest. But you have to HAVE TO make sure to make bonding time. With 3 and being a stay at home mom and never having a break you still HAVE to figure out a way to give them each a little special time. Even if the younger 2 are put down for a nap and then you do something one on one with the 4 year old. Bonding is SOOOO IMPORTANT! Mine are getting older where the younger ones donā€™t take naps as much anymore. So I set 2 kids up doing something so I can spend some time with one alone. Or if dad is home or a grandparent even if itā€™s just running to the grocery store (which usually I have all 3!) But some times I wait and go in the evening so I can take one. Get them something little and talk the entire time really getting down to their feelings and whatā€™s going on with them. Or Iā€™ll take a walk outside with one where they have all my attention while the other 2 are inside. This is for when they get past the napping stage. For you while they are little the 4 year old is used to having all your attention and now your 10 month old is getting it all because the 10 month old is more needy. Usually this is a cry for attention. When you have the 3rd itā€™s gonna get worse unless you can find more time for the 4 year old. When I would have another kid instead of everyone being all over the new baby we always made the older one become the ā€œbig boy or girlā€ and such a big helper! We would make such huge deals over how they are such an awesome big brother and such an awesome big helper! Get him involved in everything with the baby but instead of putting the focus on the new baby like ā€œoh she smiled!ā€ Make it to be ā€œoh look! You made her smile!ā€ Ask them to hold the bottle when your feeding, ask him to grab a diaper and then while your feeding or changing diapers the entire time praise him for helping SOOO MUCH! The more you can praise them the better because heā€™s getting attention for being good instead of acting out trying to get any attention from you. Start practicing now with the 10 month old because if things donā€™t change its only gonna get worse with the 3rd.

Set up your phone and record yourself from a ways and then see how you look and maybe thatll change your mind once you see what you look like doing that

I feel you girl, I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old and I have more problems with my oldest. Dad works full timeā€¦ and itā€™s been putting a strain on our relationship because Iā€™m upset all the time and frustrated I canā€™t get a break. I find myself yelling more as well, I would try and squeeze time to get some counseling in, you could benefit from it. hang in there mama it gets better.

I feel this whole post lol I have a 5 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old and infant and my days consist with daily struggles of tantrums and crying lol! I think Iā€™ve just adjusted to the controlled chaos.

Therapy can be an option! They have online therapists and some can even work around you having kids around

I watch all the focus on the family parenting videos on Youtube :cry: :joy:some of it has given me perspective, some of it has changed a lot for me. A daily struggleā€¦ you are not alone

Start whispering. It freaks them out

Mama you need a break. And not just a 2 minute toilet one!! :dizzy::v:t3:

You need a schedule. Yes a schedule. Write it down and look at it frequently. 3 meals and 2 snack times. Sit at the table, eat, and talk to him about whatever he wants to talk about. Naptime after lunch. He can sleep or sit quietly in his room and read a book, not play, read for an hour. Here is your one hour break. He sounds bored. Start teaching him preschool material. You can get workbooks from Walmart or Amazon for $5. Schedule school time between meals. Get him doing active things: kick the ball around outside with him, plant an herb garden, teach him how to bake, etc. Bad behavior= quiet time in his room to think about a better way to communicate. He old enough to understand that. You need to start teaching the baby to be more independent. If she canā€™t be off your hip for 5 minutes at 10 months old, thereā€™s something wrong. Follow the schedule and stick to your guns when it comes to Zero Tolerance on bad behavior. If all else fails, watch a few episodes of Super Nanny on YouTube. :yum::+1:

Therapyā€¦learn better coping skills please!!! I wish I would have done it way sooner and saved my kids a lot of pain

Dude ask your man to watch them for a few minutes each night so you can go outside and breathe. Get used to yelling haha it happens just make sure to apologise after. Also let the 10 month old cry put her down and donā€™t pick her up. She will be fine to cry and she will after a few times understand. Have her toys to play with or one of those bouncer thing so be in with toys.

Pregnant at home with a 10 month old and a 4 year old Iā€™m sure youā€™re overwhelmed. Find something for you and just your 4 year old to do and find time for yourself only you. The 4 year old may be having a hard time having to be inside constantly too if youā€™re anything like us and donā€™t leave much because of the pandemic.

Please try to take time for yourself. Youā€™re doing a great job. Maybe talk to your ob about PPD or burnout

Try the book 1 2 3 magic parenting

Do you have somewhere to play outside? Mine are 3 & 4 and very active. If we are not playing outside they are into stuff

What about preschool half day

Why are you on a 3rd baby if the other 2 bother you so much

Be there and allow them to do the same we need, feel it to heal it.

Heā€™s bored. Give him something to do!

I just made this behavior chart for my 4 year old !

You will get through this ā€¦learn to put that baby down awhile put toys down let her learn to move and do things on her own ā€¦that little boy is controlling you ā€¦put down some rules then make a punishment like sitting in time out so long ā€¦not playing with a special toy ā€¦talk to him so he knows ā€¦and nap time may help too .good luck

10 month old needs to be put down some. Your 4 year old is likely acting out because he wants some of your attention. He bypasses dad because he wants YOU!! In a few months it will be way worse because your 10 months old is still a baby too. Let the 10 month old cry it out a little more each day. Spend nap time for baby cuddling on the couch or reading a book in the recliner. He needs some one on one special ā€œIā€™m importantā€ time too. Right now between the baby, who is always in your arms, never him anymore. Unintentionally he feels neglected and rejected. It gives you a few minutes to rest and regroup too. Best wishes, youā€™ve got a lot on your hands but you can do it!!!

Put 10 month old in a pack n play or her crib. Put your 4 year old in his room tell him hes to stay there till you come get him. Go tobthe bathroom, run the shower and chill out. 1. The baby will be fine crying. Shes not hurt. 2. Your 4 year old should be able to be in his room for 10 to 15 mins no problem. You HAVE to take a breather. Or you will really lose it when the new baby comes along. You need to remember you are NOT a bad parent for taking time for yourself. You are human.

Your human Iā€™m a granny and I yell at mine mostly the 8 and 5 yr old there always doing things they shouldnā€™t like cutting holes in her clothes cutting hair itā€™s better than beating them, and there always gonna :heart: you. Nothing wrong with disalining your kids donā€™t be so hard on yourself

Kids are like some dogs, they need to be given tasks to do, or they get themselves into trouble, they need to be kept busy

Can the four yr old get into a preschool?

Grab his hands look into his eyes and tell him to do what youā€™re doing and do slow breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. After the first few heā€™ll be calmed down immediately. Once heā€™s fully calm then explain what he did.

Samantha Medley for the comments :heart:

1 Like