How to talk to another parent about child hygiene?

Maybe have her over for a sleep over and have her take a shower. You never know what’s going on at home. Maybe the parents are dirty too.

7 Likes

I would talk to the parent … I LOVE the suggestion above about a “spa” sleepover , tell each kid to take a bath for 20-25 min even , w new bath bombs too make it fun ! , get each a pair of brand new matching jammies , do face masks , nail painting & do their hair so she’s not singled out !!!. I know myself growing up there was a family I knew that was known as “ dirty “ people made fun of them all the time especially the girls for having dirty / greasy looking hair & one day I went to hang out there and realized it was :100: not the kids fault ,… their parents only would allow them to shower maybe 1-2 times a week to save $$ on water , my heart broke for them … bullied all the time & wanting too make a change but they were simply not allowed . I’d deff reach out too the parent if the spa sleepover doesn’t work out ! … sometimes if they live in the mess/stench they don’t necessarily smell it themselves .

24 Likes

Well you are a parent yourself, so how would you want another parent to handle that situation if the shoe was on the other foot? You definitely wouldn’t want your child being treated differently or Uninvited to a place over something that can be fixed so easily. My advice to you is to treat her like your own! Encourage her in the most positive way to take care of herself. Take time out of your day to wash her clothes with your daughters and eventually the parents will notice the difference and try to do better.

9 Likes

Or you could have her stay over one nite a week and let her take a shower show her the shampoo and soap and wash rag,that you selected.Have your child first shower,let the other child know this is a normal procedure.Her home may not have running water… whatever the case all one can do is try

5 Likes

I had a stinky child, she didn’t care she wore dirty clothes , she had Plenty of clean laundry, she went in the shower every day came out wet , still smelled went to dr , shrink, didn’t help , cps was called she told them she didn’t care , the school had her shower again every day new clothes still smells.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just her personality.

My 8 year old daughter hates bathing. I’ve had multiple conversations about it with her. The school had DSS investigate my household ( I was super embarrassed) bc she had “ unkempt “ hair and dirty sleeves on her jacket. I comb her hair every morning. She has a lot of hair. She’s very messy! I do everything in my power to help her but it’s just her personality.
She eats with her hands and uses her clothes / chair cushions as napkins. Hopefully one day she’ll grow out of it.

2 Likes

My father raised me himself with sever depression and mental issues. I was not potty trained correctly. Never bathed. Had lice and flee eggs in my hair all the time. Boy clothes and was never taught to brush my teeth. I remember the kids picking on me and the people who check your hair at school saying “she’s full of flea eggs!!” I remember him taking me to a park to sit in the car and be quiet for two days with his head in his hands crying saying I needed to poop and him letting me sit there in my poop all day. Trust me if you talk to that mom nothing will change she’ll just get angry and it will harm your daughter and that little girls friendship. I was taught hygiene when I moved with my mom. If you want to help ( it may still ruin the relationship of her mom finds out and is petty) but if she’s spending the night sometimes have the girls bathe at night and buy her her own toothbrush and loofah and cute little hygiene things wipes whatever for your house. If you care that much show her it’s fun to be clean and smell nice. Don’t say that though lol. I had the whole family and friends raising me when I lived with my father and even though I didn’t have a mom I had plenty of step ins

Share with your daughter the importance of hygiene. I take my daughter to the store and she picks out her own deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors, toothbrush, paste, etc. Maybe invite her friend to go shopping with you and buy her some items, etc. Her mom might be very busy or completely unaware.

1 Like

Have her stay over and shower. Show he love. Maybe she is not getting it and never got shown.

1 Like

I hate this for the child but there are so many judgemental rude comments on here about her parents. Maybe there’s a reason she’s lacking in the hygiene or maybe there isn’t - maybe she’s a child that the parents have given her hygiene products and given her instructions on how to use them and the child just doesn’t want to. I have an almost 9 year old I had to battle daily to practice good hygiene until one day it just clicked for her. I would not turn that child away from my house though, I like the “girls night idea” but come on people, don’t be so quick to judge.

Please can you let us know what you decide and the outcome please x

6 Likes

Maybe get your daughter and her some hygienic gift baskets for young ladies that way she doesn’t feel singled out

4 Likes

I read a story years ago, a child being sexually abused and to help stop her attacker she would stop washing, wee & poo herself… anything to stop what was happening…
Now im not saying this is 100% the case but maybe have some heart… speak to the parents, school etc she needs help x

20 Likes

So my close friend had this problem all through into highschool. It turns out everytime she would shower her dad was molesting her. So she would avoid being home and showering was traumatic for her. I know this is not the case everytime a child smells but just my experience. I guess just be very careful about approaching the subject. Just make sure she knows she has a safe private space to shower when she is over but don’t push her. You never know what a kid is dealing with.

8 Likes

Growing up my BFF smelled bad because her mom didn’t know how to wash clothes, nor clean house… this person is my BFF to this day and she is no longer that stinky child. She forgave her mom for her ways.

Change your attitude towards her. I’m sure she knows that you don’t like her being at your house. You don’t know her back story so maybe if you changed your attitude first, then maybe you can help her and truly understand what’s happening in her life. You say you’re not friends with her mom, well get on it. Make friends with her mom. See what they need (if anything) see if there’s something happening in their lives that you may or may not be able to help with. Let them both know you are there for them. Maybe your daughter feels embarrassed by your actions? Start by standing in that girl’s shoes and try to understand what she’s going through and not what you are going through by having her in your house

3 Likes

If I were you, I would pretend as if I want to shower my daughter then I shower her too… she is just a little girl, how come you dnt allow her into your house? I would advice you to look inside your heart to see if your heart is clean, I am sorry to say this but it sounds dirty… you are clean outside but dirty inside…

7 Likes

Years ago my son had a friend that was always dirty and stinky. We gave him alot of nice clothes my son had outgrown. In no time at all these clothes were dirty and stinky. Found out they used an outhouse and only running water in the kitchen. Mother never did laundry dad was an alcoholic. We ended up taking him in for awhile. Turned out to be a nice man.

5 Likes

So i had a roomate in college that no mayter how much she showered she would always smell. She told me she had some kind of chemical imbalance that caused her to smell. On top of that I really think she didnt properly clean herself too. Its an awkward conversation so…

One of my kids friends were like that and I told my daughter to ask her if she wants to dress up but house rules are you have to shower before putting on dress up clothes so they don’t get dirty

You speak up. Period. You never know what someone is going through, you me be the only one who does.

4 Likes

Does her friend have animals at home? Oftentimes, animals can make a dwelling stink. If they’re living in it day in, day out… They’re probably desensitized to the smell. It happens more often than we think. I agree that a spa day/night sounds fantastic! You could even have them flip their heads over in the kitchen sink and wash their hair before they get in the bath so you know it’s washed and rinsed well! Talk about how important it is to show yourself self care, and how important it is to keep yourself clean… especially in private areas, because if they get too dirty- they’ll get itchy and start to stink & can hurt/burn, etc… & can make you really sick if you don’t take care of yourself properly. Even let them get in a bubble bath in bathing suits to play in the tub could be beneficial.
It’s possible that her parents aren’t as educated as they could be as well. Turn it to a fun learning experience. It doesn’t have to be a shame session.

1 Like

Could it be that her clothes are unclean?

This is horrible but I have been there! It sucks but the friend doesn’t come to our house anymore. She smells awful and her clothing she brings. I just can’t! I never mentioned it to the mom, nor child. Just my kid and asked if they discuss things like hygiene in conversation. They don’t understand and it always sounds offensive.

Honey whens. The. Last. Time. You. Took. A. Bath. Maybe her. Parents. Are. Not. Letting. Her. Bath

Buy her a gift basket with a variety of products that can help her smell and feel better about herself.

5 Likes

Maybe ask if she has any medical conditions that you should be aware of? Some children are wearing diapers because of medical conditions. If asked why you ask then bring up the smell

Start by saying hi …. Can I speak to you in private n please try n understand that I don’t mind having ur child at my house however, do you mind if I talk to her about hygiene?

2 Likes

Why don’t you do a pamper night, get them both some cosmetics, bath bombs, face masks do a bath for her first and then obviously your daughter after. It gives you time with her while maybe painting nails she may open up a bit about it. It’s a really tough conversation to have cause heaven forbid if she was being abused you don’t know if the mum knows or not and it could make things for the little girl very difficult xx

5 Likes

Maybe her mom is depressed and doesn’t have the support she needs
Little girls need their mom to help them. I know from experience.

1 Like

A gentle, loving, but direct heart to heart. Something more is going on. FIRST, let her know it’s safe to share with you. She may need real help. I can guarantee she already feels Something is wrong, she can read your reactions, even if they aren’t obvious. Let her know you care and want to help. Qhen she feels safe, she will open up.

1 Like

I’d talk to the teacher so they can safely have a word with her. As you don’t know what the parents are like. And they are mandatory reporters if they feel something is going on

5 Likes

If it were me in your situation, I’d probably let my daughter have her over, do slumber parties and make it fun like, okay let’s do showers and get into pj’s and do some smelly good stuff and explain things to her. But also, how old?

2 Likes

My daughter had a friend whose family had NUMEROUS pets in the home. These pets were allowed to eliminate anywhere and everywhere (including on clothes on the floor and in beds) and it was rarely cleaned up. As a result, this poor young girl stank to high heaven. When she would spend the night, I would just have her change into some of my daughter’s clothes and then I would wash EVERYRHING she brought to my house. I hope it didn’t hurt her feelings but the smell was so bad, it was intolerable in my house!!

Something at home is happening .It’s probably not her fault

4 Likes

The school nurse can also help with this ! I feel so bad for that girl .I’m sure she must get bullied in school.but definitely reach out to the mother also .

4 Likes

Could be her clothes and the home maybe really dirty

My granddaughter has a girl in her class that has this problem. The other kids make fun of her. Won’t sit in a seat after her and things like that. My granddaughter has the kindest heart and takes up for her and just tells me stories every day about her. She is heartbroken the girl is being picked on. I tell her to just be a friend and keep being nice. I don’t know the girl or her parents. The girl told her their water pipes busted and they don’t have water. It’s private school so I’m sure that money is tight. They don’t have the money to fix them. So sad.

1 Like

A pamper party sounds great. Girls love that.

1 Like

Let your daughter brag bout products she uses in the bath ask if she would like try some…

I just think of the Turpin family. The oldest Jennifer was in school. Nobody could handle being around her because she smelled. Not 1 person looked into her home life. The level of abuse those children & young adults suffered wasn’t realized for 2 decades after she left school. If 1 person got to know the family & asked questions those kids wouldn’t have suffered as long.

Talk to the girl. Ask her who washes her clothes, if she knows how to shower. walk her home & talk to the mom. Involve yourself! You can buy hygiene products or have her shower at your house (I think that’s creepy but whatever) etc as comments here suggest. None of those things are going to help solve the problem whether it’s medical, abuse, depression, financial etc.

20 Likes

Speak to her school.

5 Likes

Have her get in a bathing suit with your child and play in the bath and then report it to child services that’s sad

1 Like

I would speak to the child, the parent would probably be offended

2 Likes

I understand the problem, but keep in mind that there are medical conditions that can cause seriously foul odors in people. It starts early in life and is truly hard to manage. It can be somewhat managed by eliminating certain food from their diet and by using special deodorants. If the girl has that problem, no amount of bathing can stop it. Her mom needs to take her to a doctor for treatment.

3 Likes

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to let her in and help her. At this point she needs an fcs call that’s heartbreaking.

8 Likes

Treat her like you would like someone to treat your daughter… Help the girl out!

16 Likes

No wonder kids bully. Look at the parents teaching them! How rude “she stinks and I don’t want her in my house” are you for real?! Such disgusting behavior from a adult. There are medical issues that can cause that, or perhaps there is a issue going on at home and she’s not properly being cared for. Instead of being judge mental. Why don’t you try and help this poor girl? Shame on you.

Don’t understand why the s hool isn’t addressing this with her parents

3 Likes

I’d help the girl out… get her into the shower before bedtime and wash the clothing she brought over and give her something clean my daughter doesn’t wear anymore.

11 Likes

First of all, be proud of your daughter for being good friends with the stinky kid. Second, now it the time to be the village for this girl. Have a pamper day, build a relationship, talk to her. She probably lives in a dirty house and hasn’t been taught how to keep herself clean. How does she present herself? Are her clothes clean? When she eats, is she starving or a normal level of hungry? Does she have siblings at home? Love on her first, then ask about her home life. Kids that are ill cared for are often in need of the most love.

If you need to contact CPS, and it sounds like you might, you’ll need to know these things.

19 Likes

Maybe your daughter could show her some of her own hygiene products and have her smell some things like “I love this deodorant, what kind do you have?” “Smell this body spray I got” “I tried a new body wash and it smells amazing” If your daughter has a hygiene book she could show her and read it with her. My daughter has an American Girl one.

6 Likes

You ppl are acting like this woman would be showering the girl ? She’s old enough to shower herself id certainly say hey , if you want to shower I’ll get you some clothes & stuff you need … you all give me pedophile vibes like you have never showered at a friends house & automatically assume if you did you’d assume the parent is a kid toucher weird as hell … offer her help … hey girlfriend Is there anything you might need here that you don’t have at home ? It’s really the simple things that can be life changing

9 Likes

Do them a pamper night with all nice smelly stuff bath bombs creams face masks & fancy sponges from home bargains 39p and she will love it then want to do it all the time x
Buy her a toilet bag to take home with bits in but do your daughter one too so doesn’t look obvious x

11 Likes

I would use a holiday to my advantage. Oh is it Valentine’s Day? I’d have my child give the other child a basket with soaps, bath bombs, hair and body wash. Maybe include a adorable outfit like a onesie or something and offer it as a spa day gift to the girl! Also could include a child friendly book about hygiene. Sometimes these kids only know what they are taught but given a educational resource and some supplies you could be changing her life.

5 Likes

Buy her a bathroom basket with body wash ,shampoo/ conditioner , deodorant flashable wipes maybe some light scent body spray and have a spa day where she takes a shower than put her hair up in rollers ,paint finger / toe nails ,face mask ,special snacks and when she leaves she takes the basket home

5 Likes

Go to the parent and ask if they smell how bad there kid smells and suggest they instruct there child to go properly clean themselves. If the kid really smells that bad and the parent doesn’t notice it, I’m sure they would want to know or if they dont care, they need to start.

1 Like

Honestly, maybe there is a disconnect with ability to get hygiene products in the home? Or maybe the child has some mental health issues going on and the parents are flat exhausted with trying to get her to care for herself properly? Maybe get “hygiene baskets” for your daughter and for her and surprise them with them and go thru and make a girls day explaining the products and how to use them. Include extra goodies like a few cheap nail polishes, face masks, bath bombs and stuff like that to make it more fun for them. Treat her exactly how you’d want someone to treat your daughter if your daughter had those issues

4 Likes

Take the girls to target on a shopping trip and let them pick out body wash and deodorant and things to have a pamper or makeover type day. Offer to do her hair (after she shampoos and takes shower bath) ask her questions about her home life over time and figure out if DSS needs to be involved, if that is a concern I would reach out to school teacher or school counselor first to help.

2 Likes

Perhaps toilet paper isn’t in the budget at her home. And it’s alright to instruct a child how to wipe their ass

House is probably dirty. Maybe buy her a “spa” basket with soaps and shampoos and a girl book.

All these people screaming call CPS smh, why report something you don’t know anything about?? What if the child is one of those who has a medical condition that causes foul odor?? What if the child is one of those who absolutely refuses to bathe properly?? She is 10 and does it herself I’m assuming, what if the child is living in a home where the mother is severely struggling and needs help financially and is a single mother in need?? Y’all are so quick to call social services and it’s sad! That mother might be all that child has and you calling and reporting would destroy that little girl permanently! If its serious enough for you to bring it to fb for the world to see then maybe you should first try to help her and show love and support, get to know the mother, find out what kind of person she is, she may just need help!! Let the little girl in your home and get to know her instead of judging her, your daughter accepts her why wouldn’t you open your doors to her?? Sad asf!! Smh

16 Likes

Honestly…letting her into your home is the best thing you can do. I encountered 4 girls like this in my life…3 in school and one was my cousin. First was Becky the Bomb…elementary school until 3rd grade. Smelled awful and fat on top of it. I would be nice and play with her,but kids got mean and started saying i stunk by being around her,so after 2 years i had to tell her couldnt be friends anymore bc i was miserable with no one else to play with. She ended up being taken by CS in 3rd grade bc she was being raised by her grandmother, who had to let the water go every other month to make ends meet so they had no way to bath.

Gross Jewel was 3rd through 6th grade. She constantly smelled like rotten animal. Ended up going to her house one day to pick up clothes for her to spend the night at my house and her room smelled 10x worse. She had rabbits that peed and pooped on her carpet in the room and she didnt ever clean,so that was where the smell was coming from. Tried to let her bathe with my favorite stuff…she came out smelling even worse…like a wet dog. Couldnt help her.

Third…Iris the Virus…big girl that stunk to high hell. Like she used the bathroom all over herself from 6th grade to 8th grade. I couldnt even stand being near her and one day she came to school with bugs on her. They were jumping off and she was sent home. She never came back.

My cousin, when she was 10,went through a no bathing or brushing teeth phase. I invited her over and let her use my herbal essences shampoos and tropical body wash plush vanilla bubble bath…as well as my crest 3d white toothpaste and she went home,got her mom to buy her that stuff,and never went stinky again…

Invite this girl to your home and have a talk with her. Find out why she is smelling so can address the problem with her parents in a non judgy way. Let her play in a bubble bath and use some bubble gum toothpaste and find out that smelling good is nice. Most of the times…the parents just dont care to address the problem or cant afford too. May have to take her to dollar tree to pick out her favorite stuff to send home with her. Never know. I wouldnt rush into a CS call until know fully what is going on.

8 Likes

Honestly I had a similar problem with a kid in my neighborhood, (I was a young adult but always gifted to all the kids) on Christmas I made her a gift basket of gentle soaps, bath oils and bombs, body sprays, lotions nail polish, new body and hair towel ect, I made them for a couple of the girls she hung out with too as gifts so she wouldn’t feel targeted and called them ‘Spa day baskets’, maybe u can do something like that for her and ur daughter so they can have a fun spa day

13 Likes

Wiping when going to bathroom? How do you even jump to this conclusion :rofl:

Take her and your daughter to the store and let them pick out some good smelling hygiene stuff together and have a girls spa night help her get better maybe her mom isn’t very good at being a mom n doesn’t encourage her to have proper hygiene

8 Likes

I know this is easier said than done, BUT- Maybe try sitting down with her and your daughter and talk about the importance of personal hygiene, especially with becoming a young lady and the smells that come with it. She might not get that at home or she is afraid/embarrassed to talk about it with her own mother. Personally, it was easier to talk to my friends moms about certain things rather than my own.

1 Like

Thats definitely a situation of child neglect. Id report the mother

Maybe talk to her , about hygiene. Take her a get her some stuff if she doesn’t have it at home .

This may be a good opportunity to instill the Girl Code into your daughter. Teach her how to gently bring it up with her friend, and throw in a “my mom can help if you need help buying deodorant or something”. My daughter has a friend who was kind of stinky too. I asked her one day (away from the other kids) what kind of soap she used, and gave her some and told her to try some of mine to see if she liked it .

2 Likes

Let her stay over, run her a bath, set out all the smelliest, show her what to use and give her fresh pjs

5 Likes

You sound like a mean mean person please do not talk to this girl or let her in your house because she would probably go hang herself by the way you sound!!! Go and wash your dishes before u stink to oh wait you already do.!!! Let your daughter do the talking please. Go away.

10 Likes

maybe things going on at home… I live in a small town had a child that would come over and smelled come to find out his Mother and step father made him live in a small shed with a heater… He could not use bathroom in house. Called many time dcfs but because of his age and no marks on him nothing they could do. So all though high school he would come over and shower and I would wash his clothes and then clean washer before I could do more wash. Yes I and neighbors would buy new clothes (even school system would but they would take away and sell on line or garage sales). Or could be a medical problem too. Talk to neighbors, no one knows what goes on when lights out and doors close at night.

13 Likes

Be a woman talk to the mother it doesn’t matter your not friends with her she deserves to know & if it backfires on you well…

4 Likes

I’m wondering if a Teacher at school as noticed?

Bubble baths in swimsuits!

5 Likes

That’s sad that little girl needs help

2 Likes

Although my nephew went through know he showers twice a die and a germ afoab

There are books for older and younger girls called “The Care and Keeping of You.” Gift them to both girls and read to them or have a reading night for them (maybe with flashlights in a blanket tent) and be around to answer any questions.

Plus do the other great ideas mentioned.

Maybe take both girls to get their hair washed and styled (cut is another matter; you’d want to get permission or know for sure her parent/s or guardian/s wouldn’t care) and for pedicures too, maybe manicures. Or do it at home as a spa day.

Show them both how to do laundry too, with tips and tricks you know adding fabric softener, or how to get out stains or stopping wrinkles from forming) so it’s like you are sharing special secrets with them. Maybe have extra clothes at your house for her so you can wash what she’s wearing when she gets there or wash her stuff while the girls play dress up in other clothes.

Also show them how to do hand wash in the sink or bathtub and how to squeeze the water out and hang them up to dry so if the girl has no access to a washer or dryer at home she can still keep her clothes clean.

Talk to them about sponge baths if they can’t take a bath or shower for some reason. If she lives in subsidized housing their plumbing or shower may be broken. Send her home with toilet paper too in case she has none at home, hence the dirty underwear, and some packs of wet wipes to keep in her purse, pocket or backpack. Ask her if she has clean towels and washcloths too.

Send her home with a pack of new underwear and tell her she can bring her dirty clothes to your house to continue to “practice” learning how to do laundry.

Buy her new clothes, socks and shoes for her birthday and December holidays. Buy the girls matching or similar outfits for minor holidays like red clothes for Valentines Day, or green outfits for St. Patrick’s Day—maybe let them go shopping with you and pick out whatever they want in person or online.

For other times buy her stuff, take off the tags and tell her they’re your daughters’ and find an excuse to give them to her—didn’t fit your daughter right, not her colors, whatever you can think of to make it look less like charity.

You can get a lot at thrift stores too and show her how to be a careful shopper there, like checking for stains & holes, good stitching, brand tags, wash ability, etc. Again, under the guise of sharing secrets of life with them.

Call the school and her religious institution if she has one so they can help and hook her up with services and giveaways.

39 Likes

Maybe the child has some sort of mental disorder and parents do their best. I have a hard time believing the school has said nothing to the parents.also some kids do have a physical disorder where body odor is an issue. I know a girl that no matter how many showers she took and how many times she used deodorant she smelled. Not much can be done for her. So maybe gently approach the parent. Must not bother your child much if she likes to be with her.

You never know what’s going on at home. Have the friend over and show her love. If you feel the need to talk to her or her parents about hygiene. Kindness goes a long way

2 Likes

Since you’re not really friends with her mom I’m unsure any talk about this will go anywhere. It was really nice when I got older I was given permission to take showers at my friends house. I’d see if she could spend the night and have her take a bath at your house. At 10 yes I do believe I shared a bath with my friend. Make it fun.

2 Likes

Some of these comments are so sickening. Calling CS over body odor? BO don’t necessarily mean neglect or abuse is going on. Some of y’all would do ANYTHING to feel superior to someone else. That’s sad

10 Likes

I had a classmate like this. A fellow student asked a teacher in private to talk to said student. He wore the same clothes to school everyday. Come to find out they had their water shut off and had some family issues going on. You never know what’s going on truly. My school offered for him to come in early and use the gym showers and provided him with soap and let him pick out clothes from the lost and found. You could reach out to the school about your concerns

15 Likes

But to answer your question, befriend the mother. Talk to her about life. Ask probing questions to find out what kinda person she is. Tell her you’d like to take turns cooking dinner and see what the house is like.

It could be a number of medical diseases that are causing the smell. All these people asking about the school not noticing :roll_eyes: maybe they are aware of it and have already spoken to parents. Ever hear of HIPAA? They are not obligated to let everyone know what a child is going thru. Maybe start with buying your daughter and the girl a little hygiene kit and give to them together, along with a few nail polishes or something for a ‘girls day’ to break the tension. If after a while it you still notice it, mention it to the girls mother.

4 Likes

There are medical issues that can cause people to smell. Diabetes, encopresis and etc. Also maybe the mom is struggling and can’t afford to wash clothes or something. I would just start out with something like " I know this may be a sensitive issue for you and your child but I can’t help to notice there’s a strong smell coming from your child. Is there anything I can do to help?" If it’s something like, no electricity, no water, no washer, offer to let her use your shower, washer, etc.

2 Likes

If her smell is bad enough that you don’t want her in your home, why hasn’t the school taken action? They obviously must smell it too. There are many reasons as to why she might smell and you don’t have all the information. I would definitely let the teacher handle this. Especially if you’re not familiar with her mother. I can say with all honesty that if my child came home and said so and so’s mother told me to shower at her house, I would lose my mind. Red flags all over that!! You certainly don’t want the authorities called on you or accusations of stepping out of line. My son had issues with odor when he started puberty and nothing we did helped. The dr said it was hormones and would eventually go away. It did. But if he had came home and said he showered at a friends home because a parent that I don’t know asked him to, I would call the cops and it’d be a cold day in hell before my child set foot in your house again. Sorry but just my opinion. Maybe think about what you’d want others to do if this were your child.

5 Likes

My twelve-year-old has really bad BO. I bought her special deodorant for it…in my honest opinion if one of her friends mom’s knew I would appreciate if she came to me and said something to me. I would rather take care of it than have other friends or kids at school making fun of her…. I would definitely reach out to the mom.

4 Likes

Oh and just as a side note, I hate how moms in this group mom shame others…

11 Likes

Is it a fishy odor? Bc there is a legit condition called TMAU that causes you to smell and there is no cure. Maybe she has that or some other condition that you don’t know about. Maybe just have her spend the night and make sure they take baths before bed. If you still notice a bad smell then it might be something to bring up to the mother in case it is medical.

1 Like

Ask if she can have a sleep over.
Offer her your shower if she needs it.
Let her know she’s welcome to use anything.
Sometimes it’s the little things like that.
She might need the offer and help.

11 Likes

Do you have her phone number if so maybe let the kids get really messy and call her mom and just ask if she minds if she took a shower or let her sleep over and get her to shower at least she’ll get one on the weekends

3 Likes

Girl, for Vday she would be getting a bath & body works set!! And they have these cute little gift bags… id stop at Walmart on the way home and get deodorant spray & stick…
that’s how id make a gesture to let her know & also try to help by giving her good scents to use.

2 Likes

Lol my kids friends feet smell so bad I’m pregnant with twins to so the smell is crazy to me :joy: what I’m experiencing is different from yours becuase I joke around about it with them I’m harsh but not mean mean and they know it ha

Horrible that a kid can’t be a kid without judgement from a friends mother Jesus help this world psssshhhh

4 Likes

Chances are the mom doesn’t practice good personal hygiene. Therefore doesnt recognize an issue. Cannot teach her daughter properly because she doesn’t know how. This would be a very sensitive issue to bring up. Best wishes. Much peace and love ☆

6 Likes

It could be from the foods that the family eat. Some cultural foods that are eaten all the time can unknowingly cause body odor. She can also be going through early puberty, that can cause body odor too. There could be a lot of reasons but I would bring up your concern to the school’s nurse. I remember a situation like this in elementary with a classmate and the school nurse resolved it privately with the student and parents.

12 Likes

Just talk to her. Help her.

6 Likes

If this was my child,I would hope another mom would talk to me about it.I would honestly invite the little girl over on the weekend and make it a shopping trip type weekend.Maybe her mom is struggling and doesnt know how to fix things.I would try and help the best I could.

9 Likes