I am anxious about giving birth early: Advice?

I’m 34 weeks pregnant, and already 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. I’ve been seen by my midwife ect they are keeping an eye on everything, but I’m really anxious about delivering early. Has anyone been through this? Was ur baby ok? How long did they have to stay in the NICU? Did u make it to at least 37 weeks?

33 Likes

I had my daughter at 32 weeks and no time in the nicu

With my third pregnancy my daughter was born at 34 weeks. She was small, 4 pounds 1 oz and 17 inches long. But she was healthy! We were monitored in the NICU for 2 weeks, partly because she got fluid in her lungs. But it’s usually just a few days to a week as long as everything is ok. Sometimes babies don’t even go to the NICU at all. Best of luck mama.

I had my daughter at 37 she was really small and for at least a month I had to help her poo, but no time in NICU

Had a 34 weeker and a 35 weeker. 3 week stay with my first 2 weeks with my second. My best advice is to plan to stay through your original due date then if you get released earlier you’ll be happily surprised.

I had my 2nd baby at 34 weeks no nicu time and we left the hospital the next day, she is now a very healthy and active 8 year old.

My son and daughter were born at 36 weeks. Son was 7 lbs 9 oz, daughter was 6 lbs 6 oz. They were my 3rd and 4th pregnancies, no NICU time, and I was 2 cm for the weeks preceding both

Both of my kids were 6days early with each one.

My son was born at 34 weeks exactly and we only had to stay in NICU for 8 days and he was 4lb 15oz. He was bigger then my daughter who went 4 days before her due date lol

I was 50% effaced and 3 cm dilated from about the 34-35 week mark. He ended up staying in until 39 weeks, 5 days. At 38 weeks they wanted to strip my membrane but I declined. I was miserable but he wasn’t ready.

I was 2 cm for a good 2 weeks before I was induced at 39 weeks

I had my daughter at 33 weeks. She was 4lb 7oz and spent 2 weeks in the Nicu and that was just sorting her feeding out and gaining the weight she lost.

My oldest was born at 29 weeks. She spent 8 weeks in the NICU. She’s a 100% beautiful and very healthy 12 year old now! :heart:

I was 3 weeks early. Only 2 cm dilated at my last appointment. No time in NICU. My water broke and she was coming no matter what lol.

My first daughter was born at 35 1/2 weeks she was 6 pounds health as she is 16 now, my second daughter was born at 34 week she was small about 6 pounds 10 health only had trouble with keeping her sugars up for the start day she is healthy 7 yr old now both girls home in 3 days after birth.

30 n 32 weeks n came home with me (c-section) so 4 and 6 days they where in amd are perfect

1 Like

I’m 33 weeks and was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced at my last appointment almost a week ago. I’m scared too. I could not handle NICU time with this whole pandemic going on! I know he’d be safe and healthy with an extremely low chance of passing away, but being separated from him is my biggest fear

1 Like

At 34wks with my 2nd I was 2cm and also 50% effaced, up until I was induced 1 week past my due date

2 Likes

My baby was born at 35 weeks, small and weak but no NICU needed and we went home after a week. She’s 8 now and still small but totally fine.

I had my last 2 at 36 weeks and 36 weeks and 5 days both were born at 6lbs and the 2nd was 6lbs 1oz. They both failed the car seat test and had to travel home in car seat beds… we called them their Geek seat until they were big enough to hold their head up in the car seat without stopping breathing. Which was when they were about 8 weeks old. Both came home 2 days after giving birth just fine except they had their special car seats. The picture shows the type of car bed they had

I was 3cm dilated at 35 weeks and almost 50% effaced. My son didn’t come until 41 weeks and 2 days. As long as your midwife is monitoring you and isn’t too concerned, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

I had a 35 weeker. He spent an extra night in the regular nursery after I was discharged and he came home with a lights blanket for a couple of days.

Delivered my baby girl @ 35 weeks and 5 days. She was breech and I had a C-Section. She’s healthy as horse, no NICU, nothing went home after two days. Barely. They practically kicked us out lol :laughing:
Try not to stress bad for baby . You’ll be fine.

I had my daughter at 35 weeks 2 days and she didn’t have to be in NICU she is healthy 1 year old now

First set twins was born 34 weeks second set was born 36 weeks there all healthy no extra time in hospital now 4 &2

I was 3 cm dilated for 3 weeks. Had my son at 38 weeks. No issues. Labor was really quick

I had my daughter at 34 weeks in 2019 Jan and she was in nicu till April I had her home a month found out she needed a trachea to help breath but she is almost 2 now still has trach in and growing she was born with difficulties do to problems but she is growing and healthy

You can be dilated 2 cm for a couple weeks. Stressing over it won’t help. Just relax and rest. Kick your feet up. I was told just come in if the baby isn’t moving or if contractions come 5 minutes a part.

My first was born at 33 weeks. She weighed 3 pounds 7 ounces and was in NICU for month. Healthy 10 year old now. My youngest was 30 weeks and she was 2 pounds 9 ounces. In NICU for almost 2 months. Shes a healthy almost 4 year old now.

1 Like

I had my baby at 29 weeks completly healthy the nicu knows what they are doing

I was checked for the first time at 35 weeks with my oldest and was 4cm. At 36 weeks I was 5cm. I still didn’t have him until his due date. With my youngest baby I was 6cm at 35 weeks and had her at 37 weeks and was dilated 8cm for 2 days before labor kicked in.

1 Like

I had my twins at the start of my 35 weeks. They needed no nicu

My daughter was born at 36 weeks. She was never admitted to the NICU

My second was born at 35 weeks and nothing wrong at all she weighed 6lbs 10 oz aswell was home day after :blush:

1 Like

My youngest was born 35 weeks and 5 days and was only in the nicu a week

My son was born at 35 weeks 6lbs and didn’t need a nicu stay healthy as can be I also have a 29 week preemie much diffrent story but I hope everything goes well for you and you dont have the nicu stay :heavy_heart_exclamation:

At this point I was given steroids shots to mature my babies lung cause she was born 2 weeks later health left hospital no NICU stay

I was a 34 week prem baby 34 years ago, no nicu and was 5 pounds something.

Oldest was born at 34 weeks no nicu needed she’s now a healthy 14 year old

I was induced at 35 weeks with all 3 of my kids due to pre-eclampsia. None of them spent any time in the nicu. My first had a little jondice and needed the lights and my first and second both had their feet poked a few times to keep an eye on their blood sugars. But other than that everything was fine with them all. They’re 16, 10, 9 now :slight_smile:

I was 27 weeks pregnant with my oldest and went to the doctor for a checkup because I was cramping…not bad, but bad enough that I felt it needed checked out. He assumed it was basically “growing” pains, but checked for dilation and to his surprise, I was 3cm dialated and 25% effaced. I was given meds to stop contractions and put on bed rest. I went back to the hospital 2 additional times and they had to stop contractions again, then delivered at 36 weeks. She was small, but healthy and she didn’t have to stay in the NICU at all.

1 Like

Delivered at 36 weeks thank God cause i had a big baby. Over 7 lbs only issue was regulating her temp.

1 Like

I had my son at 34 wks and all was ok

1 Like

My youngest was born at 37 weeks and was TINY. 6 lbs. And 19". She was perfectly healthy at birth. No NICU.

Don’t worry and stress over this I stayed at a 2 from 31 weeks up till 42 weeks with my first and never went past that. Just be careful n make sure u see ur mid wife regularly

1 Like

You should be fine. I delivered my son on his due date and I was 3 cm dilated for over a mo th

I walked around for 3 weeks at 3-4cm, so i wouldn’t get worked up on that alone🤷🏻‍♀️

My girl was induced at 37 weeks, she was born 5lbs 1oz, perfectly healthy! Dont worry and hope it goes well!! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

I had gone into preterm labor 12 times with my second. Made it to 37 weeks exactly and no nicu. He was just little. But I was at 5cm for 3 months and 80% effaced. I was on strict bed rest

Got emergency Csection before hitting 35 weeks. Baby stayed in nicu for only 2 days. You and the baby will be alright.

I had a 35 weeker and he ended up only being 3 lbs and had a month stay in NICU and came home with a g tube (has since graduated to oral feedings)

I had a 36 Weeker and he was just over 5lbs and they took him to NICU and checked him out and everything he was in regular nursery within 3 hours. I was on Mag so they wouldn’t let him stay in our room until I was off of it…

My daughter was born at 36 weeks. 6 lbs 15 oz, we were outta the hospital in 24 hrs with q healthy baby :sparkling_heart:

I started going into labour around 31 weeks, I was monitored closely and given steroids for my babies lung development, antibiotics, etc.
My water broke at 33&7, and I had an emergency c-section at 34&1.

My daughter spent two weeks in the NICU. She had to learn how to feed, and needed a feeding tube for about a week and a half. She is 20 months old now and healthy, happy and the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen! :heart:

I had my daughter at 34+4 after my water broke. She had a 4 day NICU stay for monitoring but other than that she had no issues. Weighed 5lbs 8oz.

Did they give you all the necessary meds you need to help if you go I to LA or like shit for the babies lungs etc… If not you should be seen by a doc at an actual hospital etc to be on the safe side

Emergency C-section at 35 weeks and baby spent 8 days in the NICU. The nurses were amazing and answered every crazy question I had as a first time Mom. It definitely wasnt my birth plan but everything turned out just fine

I was dilated at 1 cm with my first at about 30-32 week mark and made it all the way to 39 week. What my ob said is that some people dilate early and still don’t go into labor until later.

Following, I’m in the same situation as you and I’m worried cause I was overdue with my first 2

I had my youngest girl at 25weeks and shes doing great shes almost 9 had my other 2 at 38 and 36weeks

Oldest at 36 weeks. Youngest at 34 weeks. Both had very minor issues that cleared up within a few days. Both came home after 5 days in NICU. Don’t stress momma! Babies sometimes just want to come out!

My daughter was born at 34 weeks, 1 week in NICU ONLY because she was having trouble eating, perfectly healthy otherwise, tiny but healthy 4 pounds 7 oz at birth. She is now a happy and healthy 16 year old and has had no health issues from it :grin:

You will be at that same number for a few weeks. Don’t stress.

I walked around around at 65% effaced and 4 cm dialated for about a month and I still went over my due date and had to be induced.

My daughter I was 100% effaced & 4 cm at 35 weeks. I ended up having preeclampsia & hellp so my daughter was delivered via csection a week later at 36 weeks but I was only 5 cm. My son I wasn’t effaced or dilated at my 35.5 week appointment but he was apparently impatient because my water broke at 36 weeks. He was also a csection. Both of mine came home with me at 2 & 4 days old. No NICU time & the only issue we had is that they both had reflux.

Both grandbabies were born at 35 weeks neither had to stay in NICU both were just over 5lbs and got to come home when my daughter did

First thing. Take a deep breath. Sis, I can literally feel the panic In this post. Calm mama is good for you and baby. 37 weeks is full term. Baby might have to go to nicu fir a little bit. Your body will not fail you. Everything will be fine. Im 36 weeks I have to get induced next week due to complications with my baby. Hes not thriving or progressing and there is an issue with the placenta. But my body has been preparing me for delivery and my Dr has everything set and ready. I understand your stress. But we both gotta be calm

3 Likes

I had twins and was born at 6 months was in hospital for 2 months

I had 4 children all early my daughter was 8 wks early an had no problem with delivery🙂dnt stress luv up b fine gd luck

I had a spontaneous birth with my first baby girl so I was 9.5 cm dilated when I go to the hospital bc didn’t know I was in labor until it was bad… we didn’t have to be in NICU. Prayers everything goes well for you and your family. :two_hearts:

My youngest was born on the day he was 29 weeks he was already 7 lbs and completely healthy

Also unless they changed the rules again by 34 weeks they don’t stop labor anymore bc its basically time. Unless you are on the 40 week bandwagon.

1cm at 30 weeks and made it to 38 weeks walked around 5cm for almost a week before she decided to come

My second pregnancy was like this. I was dilating fast with no contractions at 34 weeks. They gave me the steroid shot at that point. But she had other plans. My water broke and I had her via c-section (she was breach) at 36 weeks 2 days at 5lbs 12 oz. She was born on December 3rd, 2020. She was completely healthy! She didn’t have to stay in the NICU for her weight, but for her jaundice. We stayed in the hospital for 3 days from my surgery and they had her under the lights. Good luck, Mama!

I walked around at 3cm but no active labor over 4 weeks. Wound up getting induced at my due date. You just never know. Relax!

I delivered at 35 weeks baby only stayed in nicu 1 week. He’s 10 now and you’d never know he was a premie

I went to 36 weeks and was induced with my son … at 28 weeks I was 2cm dilated and put on bed rest and I always had preeclampsia … at 36 weeks my son was fine didnt need to be in nicu… he was a healthy baby 7lbs 9oz his lungs were fully developed

I had my son at 25 weeks was in nicu for 2 months and he will be 15 this year.

My first was 4 weeks early.
She was fine. 6lbs 3oz. She did end up with a little bit of jaundice, but never went to the NICU.
With my youngest I started dilating at 34 weeks. My Doctor said she’d be early too, but I literally sat at 4.5cm and 95% effaced for WEEKS. She finally decided to grace us with her presence at 39 weeks and 5 days. At that point I was so uncomfortable I was threatening to stand over a campfire and smoke her out. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Upside… when she came, she came FAST. From water breaking to baby in my arms was an hour and 23 minutes.

8 Likes

My 4th child was born at 34 weeks. They actually induced me due to pre ecclampsia. She was great…weighed 5 14 and needed no time in NICU. But I hear boys born then have a harder time.

2 Likes

My first was two weeks late. My second was two weeks early. My fourth was 3 days early. My third was born a month early. Her due date was in late October and she decided she wanted to come in this world in late September. She stayed in NICU for four days. But there were complications during the delivery as I had an infection and she had a hard time keeping her body temperature up and she refused to eat for anyone else but me from the bottle. She’s 14 now. You’re baby will be fine if they come out early, late, or right on time. Congrats momma. Remember to take a breather. Stressing does you nor the baby any good. Good Luck.

2 Likes

I had my youngest 10 weeks early due to an infection and she was in the NICU for 7 weeks, by 6 months she had caught up to her peers in height/weight and was considered normal. The only repercussions she has from her early birth is asthma but that could be genetic because I have it too. My best advice is try to breathe and remember everything has a purpose even the things that are tough. You can do this, I believe in you mama!

4 Likes

My son was born at 34 weeks 0 days. He stayed in the nicu for 9 days, he had jaundice and premature apnea. He outgrew the apnea at about 3 months and the jaundice was cleared up before they released him. He is 5 now and has some delays but other than that he is healthy and happy.

I was dilated to 3cm for over 4 weeks and my baby was 3 days late. He was perfectly fine.

2 Likes

My first child I was in early labor for close to a month before I delivered. My second child tried to come at 28 weeks. They managed to stop my labor and put me on full bed rest until I was to 35 weeks with medications. I went back into full labor about 3 days after being off the medications to stop my labor. My son was 7lb 6oz, and healthy, no NICU. They determined my early labor was caused by a placental abruption, which apparently I also had during my first pregnancy but was not disclosed to me until my OB saw me in my follow up after delivering my son. First child was 7lb 13 oz. Now my third pregnancy, I was not so fortunate. It was difficult and my child was born at 28 weeks with polycystic kidney disease and under developed lungs. She lived for 45 minutes. She weighed just over 4lb. There are new innovations now that didn’t exist then, and she might have lived. But I have seen children born to others with medical situations that early that went to the NICU recently (children of my children’s friend’s) who are not just surviving but thriving. Every pregnancy is different. My advice is to try to stay calm and not worry too much, but be ready for anything as you are in the home stretch.

1 Like

30 years ago my daughter was born 5 weeks early. Everything turned out good, she was a little jaundiced and stayed in the nicu for 1 week.

You are in a good place. Try to not worry. You can still carry to term or close. My daughter was born 1 day short of 35 weeks and got discharged before me. I had an emergency c section. I had other problems too. You are gonna do well. Try to relax.

This doesn’t necessarily mean the baby will come early. With my middle child, I started dilating about 7 weeks before her due date and was at 3cm when I finally went into labor 4 days after her due date!!! Sounds like you need to talk with your doctor about possible scenarios and what to expect. Every pregnancy, labor, and delivery is unique.

2 Likes

I was 16 weeks & 4cm. Bed rest & meds. Had baby on due date. She was healthy. She’s now 25 years old. Thing had improved meds wise a lot since then. Do what you’re told drink water ect… & try not to worry.

My first was 3 weeks early and weighed 7 lbs 6 ounces! From what I read I gather this is your first child. I know your nervous and anxious but it is truly the most beautiful experience you’ll ever have!! The miracle of watching your beloved baby come into this world is just unreal. There aren’t words to accurately describe the feeling you get…I was awestruck!!! I get teary eyed just thinking about it. Congratulations! You’re in for a beautiful experience.:hugs::sparkling_heart::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

40 years ago I delivered at 30 weeks. Two and a half pound boy. He stayed in NICU for two months, came home on his due date weighing 4.8 pounds. 40 years ago! So much new technology has been discovered…such improvements. I had placenta praevi and pre eclampsia. He graduated with top honors from a top university. Is a high ranking manager of a large corporation. We had superb doctors. We live in a city with one of the top hospitals in the country. Oh, I spent the last two weeks in hospital on complete bed rest, but kept hemorrhaging, so emergency c section.
Wish you luck, listen to your doctors, take it easy and think positive.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I was dilated early with my first and she stayed in beyond my due date. That’s pretty common. You are certainly reached a point where your baby will be fine. Relax and just listen to your baby/body. You may have some mild contractions as well as your body preps itself for giving birth. All totally normal.

My youngest was born at 30 weeks. He spent 19 days in the NICU just because he was 3 pound. No health problems at all. My oldest was born at 35 weeks and went home 24 hours after she was born.

Every one of mine were early. My oldest was the earliest, at 25 weeks, was 1lb 10oz. Spent some time in nicu, but did great. He will be 12 soon. My middle, was born at exactly 35 weeks, she was small, at 4lb 7oz, but got to come home, and never spent time in the nicu. And my youngest was born at 35 and 3 days, at 6lb 7oz. Perfectly healthy.

My first was 6 weeks early. My second 4 weeks and my third 2 weeks. I finally had a full term with my last. My first came out very healthy and screaming. The NICU team was in tears because they couldn’t believe how healthy he was. He was in the NICU for about 2 weeks. He had trouble figuring out how to eat. My second was in for about a week because of a slight lung infection. NICU staff are amazing and supportive. If it happens it will be hard, but you won’t be alone.

Obviously you want 37 weeks but at this point in time our health care has adapted to help early babies. If they are worried they will probably do steroid shots to help develop the lungs faster. I got mine at 34 weeks and had my son at 37 weeks. He had some jaundice but 24hrs in the lights and he was fine. Most babies born early will probably be jaundice so don’t be worried if that’s the case. Try to stay off your feet as much as possible. And as hard as it is try not to stress. My son teased and I thought he was going to break my water at 28 weeks and then come time to induce he was like nope not coming out. Pregnancy and delivery are weird and you just need to stay calm and listen to your body. Good luck!

I delivered at 35 weeks 0 days with 1st after not being dilated at all. Baby boy stayed in the NICU for 8 days with no lasting complications. He is now almost 9 and healthy as can be:) Was 3 cm dilated and 50 percent effaced with baby number two from 35 weeks… she was delivered at 39 weeks 4 days. Sometimes they stay put even though you are dilating and effaced:). Hope your delivery goes well!

Had my first born at 38 weeks. Five pounds eight oz. perfectly healthy. Second born was at 28 weeks. Two pounds, spent three months in NICU. Dr’s could find no reason why he came so early even after trying to stop labor. Today he is 23 years old. He is small but strong and healthy. Was his high schools cross country and track star all four years and still holds the record for cross country. Served as corporal in the USMC. Aside from being short he was and has always been perfectly healthy!!!
You’ve got this!

My grandson was born at 32 weeks he fit in my hand weight was 3lbs 1oz he stayed in NICU for two weeks before coming home he is 12 and to see him you would never know he was premature I know it is had but try to relax and not stress NICU Dr. And nurses are wonderful they will help you through this. Prayers for you and your baby.

You could be dilated and effaced the same amount for several weeks. One of my babies was born 3weeks early and was 5lbs 2oz no NICU just on smaller size but perfectly healthy.