I am LIVID that my mom put whiskey on my daughters gums: Advice?

My mother was babysitting my child and she is teething so she has been very grumpy lately…when i went to pick her up, baby was calm and mom said she has been good the entire time i was gone…so i jokingly said omg what did you do to her? and she said she put whisky on her gums and was NOT joking…she saif she used to do it to us all the time when we were babies and it works like a charm…i grabbed my child and WENT OFF…am i wrong to be upset?

713 Likes

You are not wrong to be upset. My family has always used whiskey on the gums, it’s a very old remedy and a tiny bit of whiskey rubbed on isn’t going to harm them/ make them drunk. I honestly wouldn’t be too upset if my parents did this for any of my kids once or twice (teething babies can be exhausting). BUT they would ask me first. This is your child and that technically is alcohol no matter how small the amount. That is a big controversial decision and one that you as the parent should have made yourself. A boundary was overstepped by not asking you.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I am LIVID that my mom put whiskey on my daughters gums: Advice?

It works, just don’t put a lot of it.

10 Likes

Yes ur goin to far . Whiskey on the gums helps and no big deal

10 Likes

Unless you had a conversation with her before hand you can’t be overly mad forever. It was super common back in the day and probably works. I was against it with my son though and explained it to everyone babysitting him so there was no confusion.

14 Likes

Even if it works, it’s YOUR choice. If you wouldn’t do it to your kid, and wouldn’t allow others to do it, No you’re not wrong.

5 Likes

It definitely works. As long as you’re not doing a ton I don’t really see the issue. I used to just dip my finger in it and rub it on my son’s gums and it was the only thing that helped

9 Likes

I mean almost every older parent has done it … I think she should have told u but obviously it works … The baby will be okay just a lil on the tips of her finger

5 Likes

It’s how we were taught. I did it with mine after my mother showed me. It works.

4 Likes

It was a common thing to do back in your mom’s day. I would just ask her not to do it again.

4 Likes

I mean you have a right to be upset, but to go and storm off is overreacting. Yes we shouldn’t give babies alcohol anymore, also though yes it can help without harming the baby. In the end that was one of those choices you should absolutely get parental permission for before doing. That was disrespectful of her, even though she wanted to help her grandchild she still should have asked. It wasn’t a medical emergency, it didn’t require a split second decision.

If she didn’t ask you ahead of time I would be upset. But I wouldn’t be mad forever if she agrees to not do it again.

3 Likes

Omg. Grow up. It’s an old style of soothing teething gums. It isn’t going to hurt her.

20 Likes

This is an old remedy. The amount used would equate to less than a third of a drop and I highly doubt it would harm.
Try to think logically, if it helped then :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

nah youre right to be upset about this. idc if a tiny amount is “harmless”. accidents can happen. its just NOT good advice to give. also she never asked you if that was ok. so that’s disrespecting a boundary.

6 Likes

Calm down, this is your mother , you obviously trust her to watch your baby, then trust her choices. If it bothers you that much kindly ask her to check with you next time.

35 Likes

It’s harmless. What was your solution for her regarding the teething?

8 Likes

It does work and unless you have a religious reason for going off you’ve gone too far!

5 Likes

It’s was pretty common to do this…did u have a talk beforehand with your mom? Did she just do it ? Did you not talk to her and tell her you felt about it? Honestly teeth coming in fucking hurt let aho tooth pain…

“It works”
“It’s all they know”
“They’ve all done it”

These are all excuses to make you feel like you don’t have a right to be upset that your mum did something with 0 communication with you that she is FULLY cognitively able to understand may be an issue. People are capable and do learn and grow with time and she should have asked you before doing something like that.

While I think it’s is 100% something you can talk about and express your feelings about, it’s also something you can use to establish boundaries with mum about so she is more likely to communicate with you better in the future.

8 Likes

I mean the baby was happy amd not hurting a d yes I knkw lots of people that have done this.

6 Likes

Ever try it for a toothache? Do it, it works wonders

4 Likes

No biggie that’s how it was back in the days and yes it does work well but your mum should have asked you first

1 Like

No you are not in the wrong. Everyone has different views on how we parent our children but what we dont do is disrespect another parents choices. The fact your mom went behind your back and did what you wouldn’t do is a valid reason to be upset.
I myself would be upset as i do not believe in doing that bit to each their own for the ones that do. But as my childs mother i ask that people respect what i wouldn’t do and not to do it either while my children are in their care. If they fail to do so i do not leave my children unattended with them again. Yes its a bummer but my child my rules cant follow you do not get alone time. Simple as that.
Sorry you had to deal with that and your mother disrespected you and the way you parent. Most importantly I’m sorry she disrespected your child and their inability to speak for themselves.

1 Like

It’s a thing for a very long time now… generations and generations have been doing this. And I’m almost positive you had this done to you as well.
Chill out not gonna hurry the baby at all

3 Likes

When a baby is hurting you will do anything within reason to help them.
I’d say, I’m happy you found something that worked so good for you, but next time let’s stick to Motrin or whatever.
It WORKS. I can not handle seeing my baby in pain. I can’t handle the unnecessary pain plus my own frustration.

2 Likes

It’s an old Irish thing for teething. I mean it’s your kid so ultimately it’s not on someone else to judge what you think. I don’t see it being a big deal. My parents/grandparents did it for me as well. On the plus side, I have a high tolerance and love a good Irish whiskey :shamrock::rofl:

1 Like

If you trust your mom to watch your child then you should trust her ability to make decisions. It’s valid for you to feel whatever way but did it have a negative impact on your child? Sounds like it was the opposite

3 Likes

Your mad that she resolved your child’s pain? Really? I mean do you think your mom got her drunk or something? I mean I can’t rationalize your anger here. I don’t think you can either, grow up.

22 Likes

Yeh you’re deffo in the wrong, ppl have done that for god knows how long! It’s a tiny rub of whisky and clearly it worked a treat! Wasn’t like she was chugging shots of whisky

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big deal. Harmless. I would just laugh it off😁

2 Likes

Rubbing whiskey ( corn and alcohol) versus using one of these over the counter teething ointments that has ingredients I can’t even pronounce … I’d stick to the lesser.

7 Likes

She was definitely a mom befor you and knows some tricks
You have rights to feel the way you do

Once walking with my grandmother and twin cousins and one dropped a binky my grandmother cleaned it with her liquor and then liked it off

3 Likes

Yes, you’re wrong.
Grow up and get over it.
And buy some baby ora gel.

1 Like

Dont go off…go thank her

3 Likes

As much as i believe its harmless, speak with your mother now about boundaries and set them loud and clear for the future. She needs to be asking before she does things like that. We don’t all want our kids raised how we were raised…

1 Like

She said she’d done it to you when you were younger… You turned out alright didn’t you?

1 Like

You are OVERREACTING, chill out!

9 Likes

I used this method on my daughters and it worked better than anything else we tried.

5 Likes

If it works or not is irrelevant. Your feelings are valid. Your baby, your choice. There are boundaries and just bc she’s your mom and babies grandma doesn’t make it okay. She should have reached out to you BEFORE doing it. I can’t believe all of these comment saying you’re wrong for feeling upset and it’s what they did in their day. Who cares? It doesn’t matter if it’s something small or big, mom has the right to say no. And in this case didn’t even get the option to.

26 Likes

She probably used it on you! I doubt she set out to upset you. It’s a remedy that was handed down. Ask your Doctor if you have concerns . Did you need to take your baby to ER? If so, I would be upset. If not, talk calmly as an adult.

1 Like

No, you’re not wrong.

Ummm this mum has every right to go off… im telling u right now put tht one to children services can tell u ur child would b removed its 2022 not bloody 1920s :rage:

6 Likes

Oh please, choose your battles.
As if your mum would hurt her grandchild, anyway you trust her to take care of the baby.
Stop being woke

7 Likes

Hahaha you’re such an idiot love and respect your mother she probably knows more than anybody on the internet cherish her now before she’s gone selfish bich

9 Likes

I feel it was just a different time. My mom did it with me and I did it with my kids. Each to their own I guess

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt the child and

Breathe. This worked for decades before any modern pharmaceuticals. I was born in 73 and allergic to the crap they were putting out. My mom. Dipped her finger in whiskey and rubbed it on my gums. It works. Your baby will not get drunk with a finger and a dab of whiskey. I promise you your mom is old school and is doing what she knows works. If you disagree talk to her and give her alternative treatments when she has your child. She did what she knew to do. Don’t be upset. Understand it was a different time raising kids

51 Likes

So, she helped your kid be comfortable, she’s safe, and you’re mad. I’d thank her for her help and just ask her to ask you beforehand in the future.

11 Likes

Yes you were wrong. I think you owe grandma a big apology.

12 Likes

I did this with my 2 and told my pediatrician she said it’s probably better than anything you can buy for teething

5 Likes

It is an old school remedy they used for years so I wouldn’t be too concerned

1 Like

My nana did this with my daughter when she was a baby and like you I wasn’t best pleased at first but it is the tiniest amount and worked a treat xx

We all survived, no need to be livid. Baby’s good and she got some relief from the pain

4 Likes

That is old timers ways back in there days of old timers they had to do what they could do doctors were very limited back then and it was passed on down generations I have rubbed very little alcohol on.my children’s gums when they were teething it does help with the pain. As matter of fact alot if the old home remedies our grandmother’s used is alot better then these meds and crap that we use and are use on our children. Now days for sure. Shoving medicine down their throat for gas and constipation and pain. That causes a lot of damage to their little organs and body.

9 Likes

My mom did it to me and my siblings and that was what she learned from her mama and she did it to my son to help his teething. Didn’t bother me because back in the day they didn’t have anything for teething

1 Like

My brother tride it on my son and I cried tears of joy

Well you want her to suffer while teething… how thoughtful of you. Here’s a toddlers skull.

1 Like

That how they did it back in the ood days She most likely put it in your mouth when u where little calm down

Yes your wrong…what do you think they used before teething stuff🤷‍♀️ now also tho your mom was wrong for not asking first since it is your kid…but you are over reacting on the fact that she used whiskey… they had a huge recall on teething stuff a few years ago and I couldn’t find anything for my daughter so I asked the pediatrician what to do and he told me to go old school and use whiskey…it’s harmless, u only put a swig on ur finger and rub into the gums🤷‍♀️

2 Likes

Did this with my son and will do it with my youngest. Works better then any thing else I tried. :100:

1 Like

U need to chill out… that is a very famous method that works… my mom was a doctor and used it on me and nothin happened… u need to be grateful to her and not freak out before even researching it because that method is super well known… apologize to her… she wouldn’t hurt her own grandkid or else u would not have had the child around her…

3 Likes

I’m sure she meant no harm!! Prayers you sse she meant well.You give her leadway as you obviously leave your child in her care.

Wow…grow the fuck up millennials… Do you think your great, great, great grandparents could run to the store to buy shit…stop it!!! Jesus…you are all so quick to judge your mamma… That knows way more than you do…go fuck yourselves…

Not like she’s getting her drunk, if it worked on you and you turned out ok what’s the big deal🤷🏻‍♀️

You over reacted. This method has been used for so long. She even said she did it on you. If you were so concerned about your baby being in pain because if teething then you should’ve given your mom some sort of medicine etc to help her. Your mom obviously doesn’t have any at her home & you trust her with your baby enough to leave her in her care. She obviously felt it was appropriate to do it. If she was doing it behind your back like many state here she wouldn’t have told you what she did :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Omg chill out she didnt pour it down ur babies throat lol…

5 Likes

I don’t agree with the we all survived comments. You’re the momma and I would be just as mad too! There are other ways to soothe babies gums in my opinion. It’s what YOU want for your child.

10 Likes

My mom done it with all her kids and with my babies. Worked better then Orajel ever did.

1 Like

What whisky are people using??

Some of y’all should do some research lol Motrin Tylenol & most cough syrups(yupp even children’s versions) contain alcohol.

I do think you overreacted storming off you should’ve talk to her about it & she should’ve asked permission first before doing it. But she probably didn’t mean no harm she fixed the pain the best way she knew how

1 Like

Your infant wasn’t hurting anymore and was up and coherent. That’s a win in my book. Old remedies like this one are fine. I’m pretty sure your child will not know just like u didn’t when they are older nor will this impact her life at any point later on any more then processed cheese and canned tuna will.

1 Like

My parents did it to me and my brother, cousins and everyone in between when we were babies. That old trick gets the job done and at one time was the go-to remedy. People actually risk it using liquid Benadryl the same way now. I can’t say I would be mad. I wouldn’t have went off on my mom tho. (All jokes aside my mom doesn’t babysit for me - like ever tho so I wouldn’t know that or your relationship).

Some ppl do it, especially the older generations but I have never been okay with it so I never did with mine. It just feels wrong and I made it VERY clear that nobody better EVER or they’d lost permanent access to my kids.

Idk I wouldn’t be livid. I’d ask to not do that again, but it’s such an old thing that so many generations did and it legit worked that I wouldn’t see a problem with it.

2 Likes

The effects of alcohol on children can be severe, including seizures, coma, and even death. Children’s bodies also absorb alcohol much faster than adults. So for the ones saying the baby can’t get drunk, yes. Yes it can

4 Likes

You need to apologise to your mum.

9 Likes

The way I look at it is this: she definitely should have checked to make sure it was something you were comfortable with! However, she was just trying to help. It would be a different story if she had made the child actually consume alcohol. But I think it was a well intentioned mishap that ultimately won’t cause any harm — unless you let it drive a wedge in between your relationship with your mother, which in this case, I would not recommend!

3 Likes

My parents did that to all of us (5) and we all turned out fine. :joy:

4 Likes

Most of our parents did it we are still here

3 Likes

Lol, I used to have a trial size bottle of pucker and I told my daughter it was lip gloss

So you are mad because your baby was calm and not in pain :woman_shrugging: maybe a bit of an over reaction, I get you didn’t agree with it but maybe just calmly tell your mum not to do it again.

16 Likes

I’d be absolutely furious if my mum did this to my son. There are other ways to soothe sore gums other than applying alcohol to the gums. Did your daughter have any teething toys or teething gel/granules that your mum could have given instead?
A combination of Anbesol liquid and liquid ibuprofen plus a teething toy that had been chilled in the fridge worked amazingly for my son when he was teething.

No thank you. That’s how lethal accidents happen. I’d have freaked out too

5 Likes

I mean they did it to us when we were little and we turned out fine (I guess :woman_shrugging:t2:) :rofl: I would have said I’m glad it seemed to calm her but from now on I’d rather you not do that.

1 Like

You can be upset but the way you went off is understandable but you need to sit and explain what is alright for your child and what isn’t. Everyone makes mistakes, forgive but keep your boundaries.

1 Like

Your feelings are valid. That is your child and your mom overstepped by giving alcohol to a MINOR and potentially getting your baby drunk.

9 Likes

Yes you are. You’d probably pump your kid full of OTC junk but natural remedy isn’t acceptable? A tried and true way is wrong? Get over it. You’re not “the perfect” parent.

10 Likes

I’d flat out tell my mother that if she ever put alcohol in my childs mouth again, she won’t be able to see her grandson anymore🤷🏽‍♀️no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

4 Likes

Yikes. People still do this shit? Hell no.

It is pretty normal. I remember I had it with my child teething and no sleep for any of us so I went to a 24/7 cvs and the pharmacist recommended it and I was like is this even right and what if he gets sick and they find alcohol in my child’s system and he assured me that mothers so this and if it’s shows in the blood work just to say it was for teething purposes.

I think livid is a little much. Annoyed maybe, but if she’s just doing the things she did as a mom with you, then why is it so utterly shocking that she would use the same methods to soothe an achey baby?

Your kid safe? Yes.
Your kid comforted and loved while gone? Seems so.
Your kid feel better from teething pain from mom’s old tricks? This also seems like a yes.

I would’ve said thanks mom, how’s next Saturday lol

Also snd this is just my opinion, if this is a first time occurrence, I’m not sure why you’re going off on your mother, have a conversation like an adult and explain your side but no need to disrespect your mother if she did it with honest intentions to help. Me personally I would never go off on my mom. Everyone always so quick to pop off.

24 Likes

It’s the smallest dab and it works. She didn’t put whisky in her bottle. I’d give your mom some grace here.

6 Likes

I think it’s ok she calmed the baby down. Doesn’t sound like your mom would ever do anything to hurt her grandbaby. It’s an old remedy.

6 Likes

Old ways need to die. The world evolves and old ways shouldn’t be used.

11 Likes

My parents have given my (just TURNED) four month old queso cheese, strawberry ice cream, and French onion dip… that I know of. :joy: Dad has had five kids and I’m my mom’s one and only… I was a MICROpremmie and she didn’t kill me, or let ME ďie, giving me rice cereal at four months old. Those with experience are GENERALLY careful about their own flesh and blood. I do understand she should of ASKED first, but it seems like she wasn’t trying to be malicious, in the same vein. At least she wasn’t smoking in front of your child, or giving her Pepsi [any soda]. THAT would set ME off. Whiskey on an infant’s gums is a tried and true method to HELP them with relief. <3

2 Likes

Absolutely not! You have every right to be. It’s your baby. Mother or not,… She should have asked you first. I know I’d be pissed!

2 Likes

It’s an old home remedy. It does help a little bit and has no recordable harm.

8 Likes

I am sure your mother did it to you and you are ok. you over reacted big time. I even had pediatrician say to use it. but you rather use other stuff on your child obviously the stuff you use didn’t work. your mother did a dab not the whole bottle smh.

3 Likes