I am LIVID that my mom put whiskey on my daughters gums: Advice?

Yes, grow Up.
Did you die?

15 Likes

If you read the comments, literally they are the perfect example of why America has the highest education dropout rates compared to other countries.

Don’t use whiskey on kids period.

16 Likes

You survived. I did this when my wisdom teeth were coming in. Best thing ever. You do not get drunk from a tiny bit rubbed on the gums.

8 Likes

Yes. You don’t need to be upset. Whiskey is very good for numbing the gums during teething. The whiskey is dabbed on a finger and rubbed on the gums. The baby doesn’t swallow any. I had never heard of this. When my son was a baby, I ran out of Ora-gel as his father and I were flying home from Okinawa. An older lady on the plane suggested I ask the flight attendant for one of their little bottles of whiskey and rub the liquid on my son’s gums. The poor kid was miserable, squirming and whimpering… unable to sleep. So I got the whiskey and rubbed it on his gums. Worked like a charm. There wasn’t enough on my finger for him to swallow, and from the way it smelled, I doubt he would have anyway. But he was able to take his bottle and fall asleep then and that was better. Hey, it’s an old remedy. Nothing wrong with it at all.

1 Like

Yes! They did this in the old days all the time.

I feel like she did what she knew to do… she wasn’t trying to show you up or put baby in danger… maybe tell her not to do it but losing it? Yeh yta for that one

I think she should have asked you. But I don’t think she meant harm.
My mom passed and I regret ever going off on her.

6 Likes

It’s a old method that lots of mommas used… i don’t see any harm in a little on the gums. I don’t think she would do anything to harm your babe… however, you’re mom and when she’s watching your child she should respect you and your wishes. Maybe going off on her was a bit excessive though.

4 Likes

Definitely not safe, I’d be livid.

4 Likes

That’s probably what she did with you. But maybe try to be an adult and tell her you’re not comfortable with that, but orajel has also has past issues with causing problems with breather difficulties and apparently there’s a new link between autism and taking Tylenol while pregnant.

I’d be happy to have a grandparent that is present for your child

7 Likes

Nothing wrong with old remedies! It’s way better then all these chemicals now!

8 Likes

I totally understand. My grandma is old fashioned. It annoys me to.

2 Likes

Yes and no. ID be upset if it wasn’t discussed with me first. But its something that all of our family has done every once in a while, you literally just rub it on the gums, its not a lot at all and will numb the area. What do you think everyone used before all of these ‘medications’ that barely work for their gums? Lol. If you get the baby drunk that’s way different but even ask a Dr if its safe.

4 Likes

A dentist told my dad to do that when I was teething and I was born in the early 60’s. I was tested in primary school (middle school for USA) and found to have a high IQ so no the whiskey didn’t do my brain any damage in response to a comment further up that this will cause long term problems.

7 Likes

Well… it’s your child so you have the say. But no a thimble isn’t going to hurt your baby. It will numb it and is safer than baby Orajel that messes with the hemoglobin. Parents have been doing this for centuries

1 Like

People are too sensitive these days. It’s rubbed on, old remedy! It’s not like she gave a bottle with a nipple. Use to put kids in snow when they had a fever too, it works. Good lord relax! You should be more worried about the pronouns your kids are going to learn in kindergarten from teachers about he/she etc.

20 Likes

It’s an old remedy and when I saw my parents’ peers do it to other babies, it was just enough to coat the finger before rubbing it on. It’s not something I’d ever do, and I’d probably be upset to find out someone did it to my baby, too…but it’s probably not as bad as we think it is today.

1 Like

To answer your question - no, I don’t think you’re wrong for being upset. She absolutely should have asked you first.

3 Likes

Bwalya Sashanae’s Ma remedy kuno

So I did this with my son and upon further research it said that it does not numb the guns and since babies are so small it only takes a drop to get into their system. My son was and is fine but yeah not doing that again lol.

3 Likes

It works!! I’m 36 and I put whiskey on my girls gums, it’s not enough to harm them in anyway and nothing else worked. I would apologize to your momma

13 Likes

Old tradition but hey if it works why not. I’d say if you don’t approve keep your cranky teething baby at home with you. Problem solved :upside_down_face:

17 Likes

The method is outdated.

2 Likes

…because Ora gel and Tylenol are so safe… watch your own tben!

9 Likes

Don’t ask this group ask a group that has children NOW not grown children because there is real information out there now, so we don’t HAVE to do these things. People did that because they were desperate.

3 Likes

As a pediatric nurse I have to say this is not a good practice. However, our parents did so this to us as babies and we all survived. It’s not harmful unless she gave her a lot!

8 Likes

I think it’s okay to feel shocked, but angry is probably a bit unnecessary given it was done with good intentions. I’m almost certain that the amount one could rub on the gums would be so minimal, and the pharmaceutical company marketing has done a great job of phasing out the old wives tail remedy.

Personally, I breastfeed after some drinks as I have done some extensive reading of scientific research and determined that the alcohol they get from that is safe. (Different of course to consuming straight whiskey :rofl: breastmilk concentration = roughly the same as mums blood alcohol % under 0.05) - less maybe even than what naturally occurs in an orange, or the alcohol content in baby Panadol.
I imagine a rub on the gums would barely even register in babies blood work at all. She did not put your baby in danger or act negligently or abusively. She just didn’t know your parenting stance on the matter and obviously didn’t think to ask first.

4 Likes

Do you know the ingredients in teething medicine? Can you even pronounce them?
Whiskey on the gums is one of the best teething remedies for kids.

30 Likes

Nothing wrong with it, lots of generations before us done it, seemed to help ur kid an it’s not like she poured her a shot :rofl: it’s litrally a like half a ml, just helps numb her gums

12 Likes

Regardless of if it harms baby or not she has every right to be upset about it. that child is hers and the mother should have asked before doing so…

2 Likes

That worked then. And it still works now. You might be truely surprised if you use some of these old-timey remedies.

22 Likes

Newer is not always better. Calm it mommas. Maybe could have asked 1st but wasn’t playing poker and taking shots🤣

3 Likes

I used it on my kids

Why do people need to be mad at their parents for trying to help grandkids? I mean aren’t they the ones raised you and you turned out completely fine?

8 Likes

It worked so why are you complaining??? Listen to the women that have much more experience or else go back to an unhappy teething baby.

2 Likes

Well it may be safer than ora gel which has lidocaine in it. I had a bad toothache recently so got some oragel. Well i went numb and had trouble breathing almost immediatelu. I.m allergic to lidocaine and would never believed it to be in something for babies.

3 Likes

My dad told us to do this when our kids were babies. We never did but I do know it’s an old way to help with teething.

1 Like

no way would i use old methods when new/better/safer options exist nowadays

9 Likes

I don’t know of a mom that didn’t do this… lol

7 Likes

No I’d be pissed off she could have done tons of other things before using liquor. There’s a reason babies only need a small amount of it to numb pain it’s cause little bodies aren’t made for it.

We wouldn’t use orajel because of the risks and side effects behind it so why are we using alcohol on baby gums?!

1 Like

Of course the big Parma companies don’t want you using any thing other than some of the crap they put out, they might loose a dollar. I have one of the books on natural stuff to use and the ones I have tried have worked.

3 Likes

Yes . You recognized the fact that your mother has successfully raised a healthy child and that’s why you allowed her to babysit so shut up , step back and watch and learn from someone who has already been through it . Dr’s want you to put creams and ointments in your child’s mouth and you have no idea what’s in them but with whiskey you know exactly what it is and it has worked for hundreds of years with millions of babies

I’ve also heard of this if it takes away the child’s pain then it’s fine it won’t do them any harm , there other remedies but if your mum had nothing else it’s helped your child , never harmed any children in the other generations, don’t worry only a 1 off next time buy something else and take it to her when your mum next has her if your not happy with a bit of whiskey , I know I wouldn’t want my child to be in excruciating pain and that’s oviously helped immensely!! Don’t worry

5 Likes

Why ru mad if it worked?
You’re going to give this person who raised you and now provides you with free childcare…crap?
Duh. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

“baby was calm and had been good the entire time”…not grumpy and in pain…there’s 0 permanent damage from this, it’s been happening for decades. It actually works. Why let them be in pain? Also, you can not agree and not do things but maybe not go off if someone does & it helped your baby feel better. :purple_heart: I’m probably biased tho, my mom didn’t live to meet any of her grandkids and I hate it when ppl are rude to their mamas. The good outweighs the bad here mama, trust me.

6 Likes

I used whiskey on mine when they were teething. It’s minimal alcohol, not even enough to change the babies frame of mind. Dip my finger and massage the gums.

2 Likes

Work for our first born on doctors orders.Your mother did nothing wrong but should had a conversation with you.Sometimes old school works.

4 Likes

It’s been a thing that elders have done for years! I’m sure you’re mom would not do anything to harm her grand baby!!! A little bit on the gums didn’t hurt her. To grab your baby and go off was a little too much…do remember that is the woman who had you & raised you…:wink:

6 Likes

I did this to my kids. Not all the time, only when it gets really bad. It helped. Also, do you want your child to be in pain and uncomfortable? They can’t fend for themselves, it’s our jobs to make sure that they are comfortable, and not in pain.

3 Likes

It’s your mom…you turned out fine. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Unless she put it in a bottle and had her drink it, you’re over reacting lol

3 Likes

My Dad did the same to my babies, and me too I imagine. I don’t drink, so I didn’t become an alcoholic. The baby is fine, and happy. Lol

Your mum used it on you. I assume you’re ok?

2 Likes

She rubbed it on her gums, not poured her a drink

Obviously it worked for your kid and she won’t have any kind of damage from it so I’d suggest apologizing for freaking out but maybe still having a talk about her asking before doing things like that with your child.

Also, I still use this method and suggest it to my friends :woman_shrugging:t2: you just dip your pinky in some whiskey and massage the gums

7 Likes

This trick actually works. All it does is numb the gums it won’t harm your child.

1 Like

Get over it. Your mom meant well.

3 Likes

Ummm… I did that while teething. Toughens up the gums to make the tooth coming in hurt less and numbs the area better than oragel. Mom’s for a long time have done it. Lasts longer too. So long as it is from your finger it hurts nothing. All three of my kids got the treatment and teething was less stressful. Old remedies trump synthetic mumbo jumbo. We’ve done it for generations. Listen to what you want but companies with all their chemicals and prices are always going to tell you the simplest way is not the right way. Whiskey and frozen wash cloths was my go to.

6 Likes

It is an old remedy that parents have done for a long time. I’m sure mom meant no real harm and it helped ur child. Ur mom most likely did this with u as well.

It was a pretty common practice. I don’t think that you should’ve went off at your mom.  I think you could explain to her that you don’t wanna do that and show her where the Teething Medication is.

1 Like

WTF is wrong with people this is not ok!

10 Likes

It’s just a thin coating on the gums, it works. Your Mum is a caring Grandmother. Not ignorant in how to care for your baby

1 Like

I think maybe she was just trying to help, things have changed since she was a mother to small children but I think she sincerely thought she was helping & that’s why she didn’t bother to ask!! This remedy has been used for so long that she might not have seen it from any other point of view other than “well this is what my grandparents, my parents & I did when our children were teething” she wasn’t intentionally trying to upset you or hurt your baby, I just think she was doing what she thought was right!! Just let her know you prefer other methods & help her understand your point of view. Best of luck to you mama!!

4 Likes

You are in the wrong, your mum is doing the best she can to look after your baby. It has worked for many babies in the past including you, as it is a known remedy.
If you don’t like it, then find another child care.

5 Likes

Sorry only read the first part but serious a rub on the gums is fine in my opinion. It wasn’t a weekly pint :beer:

2 Likes

An alternative to whiskey though could be lemon juice.

I used this on my baby when he was teething as its for babies and adults that’s has 96% alcohol in it and that’s teething stuff from a chemist…I’m sure baby will be fine x

2 Likes

Im shocked at how many people are okay with this either way i think It should have been discussed with mom and/or dad before it was done. I would have been upset too

9 Likes

Yes you are over reacting. It’s no different than putting orajel on their gums, actually safer since it doesn’t numb the whole mouth and throat.

4 Likes

You’re overreacting, you only put tiny bit on finger or paci and rub the gums not giving her crown n coke in her bottle or cocaine, it’s an old school method that works, just like a few sips of coke helps little ones pass trapped gas :woman_shrugging: neither are great for humans anyways, but that small amount is nothing to freak out over, and obviously you trust your mom and obviously she loves her grandbaby so I don’t think she’d do anything that would hurt the child, get a grip and thank her for helping your child from hurting.

4 Likes

It was a normal thing to do a lot of parents did it and older peop l a still do

2 Likes

You have every right to be angry at your mother for doing that. Even the smallest amount of alcohol is not good for babies

6 Likes

Hey I was about to have a breakdown, that’s how bad my son was with teething. I used whiskey. Worked great. It helped my son and I finally get some sleep.

Yes. !
You act like the amount of whiskey given was going to make her drunk. Kids happy and pain-free, deal with it!

1 Like

Apologize to your Mama. She wasn’t trying to hurt her grandchild. This is an old remedy & doesn’t do any harm. It’s a known remedy.
Not like she poured whiskey down the child’s throat.

7 Likes

You’re a clown bro🤦🏼‍♂️

This is a very old remedy. Baby will be fine. It numbs the baby gums.

3 Likes

Don’t be surprised to learn the same was considered normal for your parents, grandparents, and some generations before them. You’re only upset because you don’t know much about much and its natural for you to get upset with anything you don’t understand.

4 Likes

My grandparents and parents did the same with me. Nothing helped. I’m just fine. And we did the same for my kids. And they are perfectly fine. U do what u have to do. But I’d suggest apologizing to ur mom for freaking out on her like that.

3 Likes

Wtf is wrong with half of you women on here telling her to get over it, your being ridiculous, etc?! She has every right to be upset about someone doing something that she doesnt feel comfortable with being done to her child and ya was screaming and flipping her shit not the best answer probably not but the grandmother should have texted her about the baby having sore gums and what mom would like done about it/where the medicine is. I just want to say do not feel ashamed for reacting the way you did because as a parent we want to protect our children and if that was something you dont want happening than you have every right to be against it but i would just breathe and go talk with her to fix things maybe she will be understanding and she will explain why she did that rather than medicine or lack there of. She was trying her best but she should have asked because while it may be her grandchild it is your child it is up to you what happens she simply could have asked but since she didn’t just communicate, put it in the past, and live on.

Lol! We were literally talking about this at a family reunion yesterday! It’s fine. It just numbs up the gums. People have been doing it for years. If you disagree, just tell her bit to do that again and send her some orajel

3 Likes

Very normal thing to do in past generations.

1 Like

If my mom did that crap with my kids better believe she will never see my kids again she just drugged ur baby thats a crime doesnt matter if she or older people did that way back then thats wrong

30 Likes

Calm down. It’s fine

I’ve heard of that the alcohol numbs the gums for the baby. I’ve used Pure Vanilla Extract. It taste good and it helps the baby. Now we both happy :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t let the baby drive home.

21 Likes

It’s honestly probably safer than most teething gels you can buy at the store :woman_shrugging: They’ve been doing it for literally ever. Should she have talked to you about it first? Yes probably. But does it warrant “going off”? Not in my personal opinion. Just a simple conversation about running things by you as the parent would suffice. I think you’re over reacting.

24 Likes

i think you need to apologise to your mum and just explain that while it was normal when your mum was raising you that you don’t want her doing it. Have a conversation about it, if you don’t tell her she won’t know.

it’s fine ur over reacting bub

O my word… if it wasnt for whiskey or brandy on my kids gums i wouldnt have gotten through the teething stage. Kids happy. U happy. Whats the problem??? Its not like giving ur kid gallons of the stuff to drink instead of milk or water.

3 Likes

for me, it’s not the fact that it’s whisky. it’s the fact that she never asked you if she could do that. she is YOUR child, not hers. you are her mother and she should’ve said “oh hey am i ok to rub a little whisky on her gums” i’d be fuming.

you’re all acting like she has no right to feel the way she is feeling. just because you are ok with that doesn’t mean everyone has to be. your mum should apologise to you, she didn’t ask you. she just did it. that’s not ok.

3 Likes

Frankly, I understand being upset. That’s your baby, you’re the mom, you make the rules and it’s natural instincts to want to protect your child. Alcohol is toxic to babies, people used to do it back in the day for the same reasons women smoked while pregnant or why people thought it was a good idea to drink radium water… they didn’t know any better. Times change, people become educated, and we move on from the past. It’s your baby, you make the rules. Don’t let these people make you feel bad by telling you to calm down, you didn’t do anything wrong. I hope your mom can respect you enough not to do this again.

8 Likes

I put brandy on all 3 of my childrens gums. It just numbs the pain and discomfort.

4 Likes

I’d definitely be upset
Apparently an unpopular opinion. However your children your rules. Definitely not something you do to another person’s child without asking in my opinion

5 Likes

I did not do this with my twins but I know it’s been a common practice going back for generations. We made due with teethers and cold wash cloths and it was fine, we didn’t need more than that. I don’t think there’s much harm in it as long as she’s not actually giving the baby any to drink and she’s just rubbing a dab on the gums. And it wasn’t that long ago there was a recall on some baby teething products for having belladonna in them. Personally I’d choose a dab of whiskey over potentially giving them belladonna.

I do think you have a right to be slightly upset but just because she didn’t ask you first before she did it. At the end of the day it’s still your child and should be your decision when it comes to handling stuff like this and she needs to respect your decisions and your boundaries. I would apologize for freaking out over but have a conversation about how if this situation or something similar comes up again to at least consult you first before just trying some home remedy on your child.

Yep you’re wrong. It’s safe and fine. She didn’t give the baby a shot. She dipped her finger and put on the gums. It’s nothing that could intoxicate an ant for god sake.
My grandma did this to all the kids and grandkids.
It’s an old time remedy and it works.
You’re being dramatic.

3 Likes

People use to do it back in the day even my nan did vegemite is also good for the gums to while teething

Idc what anybody says I would go off too!

2 Likes

Its just old school ways, and it works!

3 Likes

I get why you’d be a little upset because she didn’t ask first, but I think you’re over reacting.

4 Likes