I am LIVID that my mom put whiskey on my daughters gums: Advice?

Been happening for generations and won’t harm the baby at all
If it isn’t something you don’t want done then have a mature conversation with your mother. Also remember she did it with you when your young so she didn’t see what was wrong.
But honestly it does work like a charm.

5 Likes

Yes.
Its not like she gave Jr a shot. Its literally a drop or 2.
No harm ever came of it.

1 Like

It just numbs the pain topically…it doesn’t intoxicate the child :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Yes chill out!! That’s the problem with this day and age. We’re all alive we survived the old-school way of doing things people are too goddamn sensitive nowadays

5 Likes

i find it funny how strangers are telling this girl she is wrong for feeling a certain way :joy::woman_facepalming: SHE IS THE PARENT AND THAT SHOULD BE HER DECISION TO MAKE. NOT HER MOTHERS. it doesn’t matter how long people have done it, it doesn’t matter if you all do it. her mother should have asked.

14 Likes

Oh gosh it’s an old school remedy for teething it’s not like they’re letting them have shots of it, it’s literally rubbed on their gums.

2 Likes

It boils down to personal preference! Personally it was recommended to me by the older relatives and it worked! I did this for all 3 of mine! You definitely overreacted. We must remember these things helped our parents and they aren’t up to date with the new stuff. Personally I’d rather that then using teething tablets and gels that have been recalled multiple times.

2 Likes

You have every right to be angry but your mum is old school and didn’t realise. Maybe just have a chat about your views so it doesn’t happen again. X

It’s an old wives’ remedy that was accepted for a long time as a reasonable form of pain relief. doctors strictly advise against it. Yeah sure it seems like such a small amount of alcohol, it is a lot when you consider the size of the baby. When an adult takes a shot of whiskey, you are consuming about an ounce of fluid, which is usually enough to start a buzz. When you give a baby a few drops of alcohol, you are giving him 0.01 of that amount, and when you think of his size in relation to an adult, it’s enough to cause some harm. It’s dangerous and everyone saying it’s okay you are overreacting no it’s not okay and you are not wrong…Also whiskey has no numbing property’s and the same people who said this was okay “back in the day” were the same people that smoked cigarettes in hospitals and thought that was okay to…

3 Likes

Those brilliant minds from generation to generation have lived through this so your proof it won’t harm your child hahaha get over it and don’t leave baby alone with grandma or ask for any help if your making a big deal over this

Seems like she was just trying to help the baby be comfortable. Don’t be mad, educate. Explain the dangers discovered. She would never want to hurt your child.

I’m not sure about y’all but I’d rather rub whiskey on my childrens gums then give pain medicine or teething gel. maybe I’m just the weird mom :joy: ( fyi me & dad doesn’t take medication either unless prescribed :slightly_smiling_face: )

5 Likes

She should have asked you first but maybe she thought nothing of it. If she apologized I would let it go but it’s definitely not something you just do to somebody else’s kid.

1 Like

Well she only rubbed it on if U had another option Ur mum should have been told about it be also thankful you have a mum to babysit

2 Likes

Was she wrong from doing it without asking absolutely but just know she is coming from a loving place and wanted baby to be comfortable just make her aware going forward that you would like to be consulted to make a final decision but our family doctor still recommends this and I have nurses at childrens hospital recommend this just couldn’t come right out and say it and it 1000000% works it’s better then using orajel even gripe water has alcohol in it I would t have snapped out like crazy or anything as it’s not necessary in my opinion but upset without asking yes

2 Likes

She should have got your ok first

1 Like

I’d be going crazy alcohol is alcohol regardless if it’s a dab or not crossing the line

2 Likes

Fucking YIKES to all of the mothers justifying that behavior and invalidating OPs feelings.

Your feelings are more than valid. She wouldn’t be left alone with my child again

I rubbed my kids gums with whiskey :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

You said it your baby was calm which means pain free!!! That poor baby probably got some actual rest without being in pain!

6 Likes

You left her there with nothing for her gums???

1 Like

Yes, just relax! That’s what the older generation did for all of our generation. Doesn’t hurt the baby. Not like your mom filled up the baby bottle with it. Whiskey numbs the gums enough to deal with the hurting of teething.

8 Likes

My mum use to put ouzo lol…was an old wives tale and worked

2 Likes

If you use Bonjela or similar, it’s 33% ethanol (simple alcohol) plus other ingredients. Of all the chemical-laden pain relief out there, I think your mum’s method is preferable. Apparently teething in babies is really painful. Just ask your mum to check with you before doing something she’s not sure you’ve approved of or not.

I think it was more hurtful that she didn’t ask! I dont think you were wrong for being upset nor voicing that you were upset. Maybe now is the time to make boundaries known going forward instead of simply going off tho.

2 Likes

I would have no problem with it however, my problem would be that you weren’t contacted (if you could have been reached) first and discussed it.

My kids great-grandparents did it to my son (oldest) I forgot to bring teething gel to a family event and he had already had Panadol. He was grumpy and obviously upset so I was happy the great grandparents had a solution that eased my sons pain.

My son was fine. It’s what they used to do and not enough is given to actually cause the child problems but, yes, should have been discussed with you before hand.

1 Like

I think you are over re acting. Just tell her to please not do it again. She was only trying to help

7 Likes

I have heard of vanilla extract being used and it also can contain alcohol.

2 Likes

It is your child and if u feel like that is wrong then it’s wrong. However everyone and their mothers n mother’s before them have done whiskey on the gum trick for decades it’s not unheard of. Just a simple plz don’t use that approach again conversation with your mom would fix all that jazz

1 Like

Yes you are wrong. That’s what that generation to to teething babies, clearly it won t shirt your daughter so get over it.

4 Likes

It also works for earaches that happen in the middle of the night and there is no doctor available . Just a drop or two will freeze the eardrum and kill the pain till you can get it taken care .

1 Like

I think she’s upset that she wasn’t asked or informed about it at all. She knows that’s not something she’s okay with and she probably simply would have said no and she has a right to feel that her boundaries and parenting was disrespected because they were. It does NOT matter how many people in the past have used this method and how it “works like a charm” because this is HER baby and she’s NOT okay with this method. There are other ways. So many people suggested this when my son was teething and I was absolutely not interested in trying it. I put frozen fruit in a mesh pacifier and THAT WORKED. There are other ways to do things.

1 Like

the fact that she didn’t ask you, means she knows it was wrong for her to do. she knew you would say no, so she didn’t ask and she just did it anyway.

Imagine what she’s done to you

3 Likes

It was done a lot years ago & didn’t hurt anyone "

8 Likes

Older generation cure, we had it, my kids had it, it’s not going to turn them into alcoholic, she was trying to help

14 Likes

She’s in the wrong! Especially for not asking. But that was a known thing to our mums generation. So she really was only trying to help because it was such a normal thing for them to do it won’t be a massive issue to her. Where we’re like what the hell😩 try to understand she only was trying to help baby and ease her pain. Where we’d give a tether there go to was whiskey😂 it’s absolutely mad isn’t it but she really was only trying to help. Just explain you don’t like it and ask her not to do it again x

1 Like

I did it to my child. She turned out just fine. Your baby isn’t getting drunk. More natural then putting chemicals in your babies mouth.

5 Likes

No, your not. Things were different then. It was an innocent mistake, but there are laws against things like that now due to child abuse issues and people dealing with addiction, and so that’s the defense I would go with because otherwise it might offend ur mom or hurt her feelings. :heart:
I used to get dosed with benadryl when I was little, and that’s a dangerous practice because it can labor breathing and whatnot, but in the 80s it was innocent.

1 Like

I do this too with my baby it really helps but your mom should of asked you first my inlaws frown upon it

3 Likes

You knew your baby was teething and did not take your preferred method. She did something totally normal. Who wants to deal with a fussy baby? She handled the situation the same way she did with you. It wasn’t like she was experimenting. Next time .pack wisely.

19 Likes

She should have asked but this is what they used to do

1 Like

I don’t think it will hurt it just numbs the gums I understand your reaction it’s alcohol and we freak out it’s your baby keep in mind it was very little not enough to go down the throat

Has worked for generations!

2 Likes

Well clear back to my great great grandparents they all did this with kids and doctors even gave it as a prescription for things other than teething to babies and children…and it does have its benefits in small amounts. To each their own but honestly I doubt your mom or any of our moms or grandparents would ever harm kids if anything they know more remedies about stuff than we do.

1 Like

I’m sure the baby was thankful for the relief and your Mom managed the situation. They don’t put whiskey in a bottle and let them drink it. It’s a drop on the finger. It’s a drop like oragel. I wouldn’t be mad if my Mom did this for my babies but that doesn’t make it ok. Her intentions weren’t to harm and also didn’t do harm. It’s cleaner than when she lets him/her take actual drinks from the garden hose. :wink: It’s been the remedy for teething since whiskey began. I understand if you prefer alternative methods but try not to be hard on your Mom on this one.

3 Likes

I would be so angry. I understand it was the done thing back in the day. It’s not now. She’d never babysit my child again

4 Likes

At least grandma was helping…

4 Likes

You have every right to be upset because it was done without your knowledge. But it’s really not the end of the world. There’s no way the amount that was rubbed on would do any harm and plus it’s been a thing for generations!

3 Likes

We did with our boys (9 & 13 now). It 100% worked like a charm for them, too. Personally, I wouldn’t be upset at all. I have to completely trust someone to leave my kids with them, so I’d know they’d never do anything intentional to harm them. Our family has used the whiskey trick with every kid, as far as I know & it worked for every single one. Depending on the type of parent u are, I could see maybe being upset that she didn’t consult with u about doing it first, but again, I absolutely trust the people I leave my kids with & their judgement. If they did happen to do something I didn’t feel comfortable with, I’d simply talk to them & explain why & that I don’t want them to do it again. That would be the end of it. I really don’t see how having a big fit over it will help at all. I would hope, since ur comfortable with them babysitting, that ur relationship with them is good & that y’all could speak like actual adults. I get being super upset in the moment, but still not a reason to blow up on someone u get along with well enough to let them care for ur child. That said…I mean it did work, ur kid wasn’t harmed, it actually gave ur child some much needed relief. Maybe try saying thank u to them & if u seriously have an issue, tell them not to do it again. Although I can’t see leaving my child to be in pain if there’s something that can take that hurt away. Just my opinion :tipping_hand_woman:

4 Likes

I was very mad at first also until I saw how well it worked & all she did was rub my son’s gums with it just the same as anbesol. But my second child, I had a different mother-in-law so it didn’t happen with the second one. I ended up finding these natural little white meltable tabs, forgot the name, and they worked great.

Yea you are it’s what they did back in day.

4 Likes

Yes you were wrong your mom was only trying to help. And we all did this for are kids it helped they weren’t crying they weren’t hurt so I say you show her mamma

3 Likes

It was a thing back in the day but I can see how you were mad.Did you not pack bonjela or soothing powders for her.You need to just go prepared next time and cut her some slack it wasnt done out of malice.

6 Likes

I get where your coming from but that’s what they used in the Olden days before we had teething gels and powders!! My dad says it all the time your name gave us 12 kids a bit on the gums and did us no harm!
How about next time you go over with child take some teething gel and leave it there x

2 Likes

It’s nothing new! Put just a little on you finger and rub on gums! They don’t make teething meds like they use to she just helped your child be free of pain.

3 Likes

Even if it was done to us as babies she is still your child and mom should have asked if it was ok with you. And respected your wishes as her mother.

She should have ask. But this has actually been used for many years and proven effective and harmless. But they make stuff for this now to buy just for babies…

She should’ve asked BUT I wouldn’t ruin a relationship over it… If it bothered me (it wouldn’t b.c I’ve used this method) I’d definitely be annoyed and let her know I would not like that to be done again.

1 Like

Right to be angry sure…but did you give the stuff along that you use to soothe baby?

Now running to FB like a little tattle tale is childish.

3 Likes

You sound like you’re still a child. At least she did give your baby some relief. You should have packed something for the baby you knew was teething. She did what she had to, it worked on YOU, YOUR SIBLINGS AND SO MANY before you. It’s an old school remedy that works. It’s not like she poured a whole bottle of whiskey down the baby’s throat and left it… if you don’t like what grandma does you’ll probably be better off finding a new sitter. Maybe mom should have rubbed whiskey on your gums when you got there so you’d calm down.

24 Likes

She definitely should have asked but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. We use it for our children and it really works. I feel safer doing this than giving baby orajel.

3 Likes

Have a conversation?!

1 Like

I wouldn’t be happy, but next time have options. If your baby is in pain, have something to help. There’s plenty of options.

1 Like

Stop being the “baby.” This is an old remedy that is effective. I’m sure your mom was trying to help. Maybe if your that bothered by her actions, find another babysitter and pay them. I’m sure grandma sits for free.

14 Likes

That was they way years ago. No-one batted an eyelid. Plus more artificial chemicals in baby teething gels

3 Likes

My mum did the same with my babies…it work and no the babies didn’t get drunk it helped numb the gums…so I did it too…don’t be so hard on your mum she only did it to help your baby…:heart::england:

4 Likes

If you use bonjella, you should check the ingredients before going off about anyone who uses alcohol on gums for teething :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I get sooo pissed when people consider this a remedy for teething. It is soo wrong to put liquor in an infant’s mouth. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

So she was your babysitter aswell??
Clearly your not grown up enough

2 Likes

It’s a little whiskey to sooth a baby in pain. She wasn’t serving her shots of alcohol.

4 Likes

It works better than most over the counter teething remedies that are marketed for the problem. Whiskey rubbed on the gum is an old school teething remedy. Yes, she should have asked you first, but I certainly wouldn’t anticipate someone losing their cool over something that can very effectively relieve the child of pain with less side effects and chemicals than the stuff you buy at the chemist and rub on their gums.

8 Likes

Grow up if it helped you should be grateful

6 Likes

You are right to be pissed, but remember it was a different world back when your mum had babies, she wouldn’t of ment any harm, just talk to her

1 Like

Been there done that. It works :woman_shrugging:t2: obviously don’t go crazy with it but yea…old wives trick :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

It’ll be ok. Calm down.

5 Likes

Get over yourself it’s been done for many years. I’m sure she put it on your gums.

7 Likes

I think you owe grandma an apology and a thank you for watching your baby and CARING! and clearly for taking care of you your whole dang life.

6 Likes

:sob::sob::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: is this serious?

It is just a product of her time. They used to do that and the amount given was hardly enough to matter. It numbs the area causing a happy and pain-free baby. No biggie she prolly did the same thing to you when you were teething. You owe her an apology.

8 Likes

They cannot get drunk or effect them it just helps soothes the gums, but if you knew your baby was teething maybe next time dont give then to a sitter or provide the sitter with medication to deal with it but to storm off from your mum is disrespectful adter she was teying to help and tbh she done a fabulous job your little baby wasnt in pain and was calm and settled!!

7 Likes

I wouldn’t and have never done it myself but it’s an old school remedy it works many older people will tell you this.! Too many sensitive people in the world no harm to baby then mind your business.!!!

7 Likes

Omgoodness I got no words for this

3 Likes

The comments :flushed: you are mom and what you say goes. If you don’t want it happening, tell your mother that. If it has never been discussed prior to this occurrence, it’s a good time to discuss you don’t want it happening again now. All of the comments stating “gave your child alcohol” sounds like she gave her an entire shot of whiskey to brink or a bottle full of whiskey​:woman_facepalming:t3: I have heard for years to rub some on the gums and I am sure that is what she did. There is no way dipping your finger in alcohol and rubbing it on the gums is going to harm your baby. Giving your child Benadryl even at the appropriate age and dose could be more dangerous than rubbing a dab of alcohol on her gums. I get the frustration, I do. But again, discuss your reasoning for why you don’t want it done again and let it go. She’s your mother, I’m sure she will respect your wishes.

3 Likes

I get your frustration/worry. A quick Google search suggests that it slows down babies systems and because they are still developing it can have negative effects if done too often. It can also numb their throat which obviously can affect swallowing which is a major issue. I would explain to your mother that harmful side effects of what she has done and find better alternatives. A cold washcloth, a frozen waffle, some Tylenol might all be something your baby responds to. Just because ‘something has been done for many years’ doesn’t make it ok or safe.

2 Likes

I think it’s very common and alot of people do it. It’s not enough to get them drunk in anyway. I used to be a snob about it but I ended up putting a little bit on his gums when he was teething and it works much better than any of the other over the counte4 stuff. However, if this is something you’ve said no to and have set boundaries, she is in the wrong to overstep. If it was a one time thing, it’s ok to be upset but just communicate how uncomfortable you are with it.

1 Like

Guess you would find a new sitter news flash she did it for u

1 Like

My mom did this to me too… I got upset but realized it actually worked…

1 Like

I mean I did it when my daughter was teething and nothing else worked. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Yep. You’re wrong. She relieved your babies pain and you’re over here “going off”. Maybe next time leave her with a remedy of your choosing. You sound very ungrateful.

11 Likes

Advice? Apologize to your mother, and thank her for watching your child for you while you’re at it. If you knew your child was teething and in pain you should have provided her with something you deem suitable to soothe a cranky,teething baby. She didn’t give your baby a bottle with whiskey, she just rubbed a bit on her gums to make her feel better… and apparently it worked.
If I were your mother and you treated me that way, you’d be finding yourself another babysitter to verbally abuse because I wouldn’t tolerate it.

21 Likes

Whiskey or shine work the best I think the ur over reacting

2 Likes

These comments are super shitty. I come from a family with addictions, and keep alcohol far away from my kid as possible, so I would be just as upset if this happened to me. It may “help” to some but giving child lq to calm them down is craziness to me. Quit condoning this because it was done years ago, my mother spanked me and smoked with all the windows up too but yahs probably wouldn’t do that :woman_shrugging:

It has worked for centuries. Your mom didn’t give the baby shots all afternoon. A little dab on your finger is all it takes. Get over yourself.

3 Likes

All the doctors on here!
You are not wrong mama. Proven to be not safe. Ask your Mum not to use it again.

11 Likes

It’ helps when babies are teething it’s just an old remedy when teething jelly wasn’t even thought of stop being such a mambe pambe your mum is just trying to help her grandchild have a little bit of pain-free teething …

1 Like

My grandmother used to use a touch of brandy on babies gums common in UK.

It didn’t hurt anything…it soothed the baby so it could fall asleep didn’t it? Took her pain away…no reason to get mad at your mom for using tricks thats worked for years…not like she gave it a bottle of whiskey

1 Like

It actually works and my sons doctor actually told me to do it when my son was teething (14 years ago).

3 Likes

I wouldn’t get mad at her she was just doing what she did back in the day as it was considered to be ok. If this is not ok with you then just let her know to please not do that next time and what to use, have something for your teething child for her to use. She honestly thought she was helping so don’t make her feel bad for helping just offer what you want done. She wasn’t trying to hurt her or get her drunk. If you get mad at her she may just stop watching her all together and you want to have that grandma/grandchild connection

2 Likes