I am pregnant and my boyfriend refuses to change the cat litter: Advice?

Don’t get rid of your fur babies over a dude. What’s next? We can’t change the diapers?

1 Like

Mask up glove up u will be fine fine get your boyfriend a new home lol

2 Likes

I had a cat when I first got pregnant and my husband can’t do cat litter because the dust and everything from it triggers his asthma and he can’t breathe. I used gloves and turned my face away as much as possible and washed up after. If it’s an indoor cat it’s less likely to have diseases especially if you keep up with vet care. If it’s an outdoor cat I wouldn’t risk it. I did rehome the cat because my husband is allergic and we weren’t sure what our baby was gonna have. Plus we couldn’t afford it anyway. Do what you feel is right and give your selfish bf a piece of your mind. He won’t change cat box does that mean he won’t change diapers?

Wear a mask. I wouldn’t change it either if they weren’t my pets

1 Like

Wear n95 mask and wear gloves to make sure you don’t get to inhale or touch the litter, and of course, wash your hands and arms too, just to be extra safe.

Get rid of your boyfriend

4 Likes

Id rehome the boyfriend if he wont help with cat litter he probably wont help with diapers either.
Wear a mask and gloves if you have to do it

6 Likes

My husband did it for me when I was further along, before that I just made sure to either hold my breath or turn away during then thoroughly wash my hands after. If someone you’ve created a life with can’t help with something so minimal, I wonder how much worse it’ll get.

6 Likes

I’m sure you have plenty advice but for some facts about cats and pregnancy- your cats should be indoors only during pregnancy, this prevents them from contracting toxoplasmosis or other parasites. Toxoplasmosis is known to only be a problem if you consume feces that has been out for over two days, it isn’t present immediately. The ASPCA has more information, they say as long as you clean the litter every day and wash your hands there is no concern.

3 Likes

Nope you re-home the boyfriend. He’s showing you how much he’s NOT going to do when baby arrives.

14 Likes

Do not rehome your kitties im 39 weeks pregnant and I work at an animal hospital i asked my doctor if I would be fine handling cat litter, she said aslong as I wear gloves and I’ve got a mask on I should be fine! I’ve also got cats at home aswell but my husband handles the litter box at home for me, aslong as you dont let it pile up and you keep ontop of it im sure you’ll be fine if your worried I would talk to your doctor about what he or she thinks! I also recommend using citrus magic pet litter odor eliminator to help with the smell its amazing stuff and smells like oranges!!

1 Like

Wear gloves and mask…you will be fine…and your baby…

I am pregnant and have cats, I read that you should be fine if you use gloves, and a mask and wash your hands well after. Indoor cats that dont hunt or eat raw meat are not likely to carry toxoplasmosis. If you have had cats all of your life it is possible you have had it before and never known, that would create immunity in you and the baby would be protected. Definitely throw the boyfriend away, my boyfriend cleans the cat box and has never had cats ever.

2 Likes

I would rehome the boyfriend. Maybe ask a friend or someone in your family to come and help you until you can get this figured out.

4 Likes

Wow. That’s shitty. Does he realize that his unborn child & you can get very sick? Did he choose to be in a relationship with you, knowing you had cats, before you got pregnant? While you figure that out, wear a mask, put only small amounts of litter in the boxes & dump it all in an outdoor can to clean it. Then take a serious look at his lack of compassion & consideration.

1 Like

Rehome that selfish boyfriend :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Rehome the selfish man And they do make self changing litter boxes

4 Likes

You could wear a mask and gloves

4 Likes

While I think he should help you I just want to say that recently this was discussed on a vet page I follow. What they were saying is that the toxoplasmosis is transmitted to the cat when they eat a rodent. If you have an indoor cat only and you clean the litter right away with gloves and washing your hands right after it shouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

I wore gloves and washed my hands but I also switched over to the wood pellets as well on the plus side my house smelled better because of the wood

1 Like

You can wear gloves and a mask & change the litterbox. I did it through all of my pregnancies with no issues. Or switch to the sifting liners that just pull out the clumps.

1 Like

Don’t get rid of your babies for a man!! Trust me!

1 Like

I did cat litter and took the dogs out and was the pooper scooper…its not difficult to wash your hands and maybe of you can find them in your area disposable cat litter boxes!! What I use paper off dirty box in a bag and out!!

Now the BF so not his cats…but committed relationship…pitch in friend…when baby comes will it not be his baby so he cant do a few 2AM feedings or diaper changes…give you a hand and watch baby for a few mins so you can shower take you time??
Hes got to go…
Manchild he is

Put a mask on……
Your boyfriend sounds selfish but there’s no need for you to be that dramatic as to dump your animals off.

2 Likes

It’s not that serious :joy:

1 Like

Put a mask on, you’ll be fine.

Get a mask and gloves and get rid of the boyfriend Stat

2 Likes

I cleaned the cat box in my first pregnancy and it was no different than my recent. :heart:

Your baby will be fine
I had to change cat litter when i was pregnant all 3 times. It’ll be ok

1 Like

If you have indoor cats, the chances of them having toxoplasmosis are very low. Wear gloves and you should be fine!

2 Likes

You should get rid of the boyfriend. He is showing you now what he truly thinks of you and of your future child. He is selfish and it will only get worse. This is not the man you should plan to spend the rest of your life with. He will not help you now, he will not help you with the baby, he will not help you at all and will only cause your heartache.

6 Likes

He definitely should do it but if not can a friend change it for you?

Change the boyfriend :woozy_face:

1 Like

I clean mine at 18 weeks I just keep my face away and wash my hands when I’m done…… it’s something that could be in their poop that can be harmful. So just wash up after

1 Like

If your worried can you hire someone to come change it for you. I’m sure someone would

I have five kids and always had a kitty litter I changed it while pregnant with all of them

1 Like

Rehome the boyfriend and wear a mask and gloves to change the cat litter.

6 Likes

You don’t need your Boyfriend!!

Rehome the boyfriend, he sounds like a piece of work

2 Likes

Maybe a question should be, is he going to help to change baby when or is that going to be, you had it not me?

7 Likes

I would rehome the boyfriend!

5 Likes

Throw the whole boyfriend away

3 Likes

Mask. Gloves. Wash hands after. I changed cat litter with both of my pregnancies. I have a 4 & 12 year old son. Healthy pregnancies, healthy kids.

4 Likes

Wear gloves and wash your hands. My doctor told me it was fine just to be careful. My kids are all 3 just fine.

2 Likes

Aside from the future father being a whimp and a jerk, you’ll be fine wearing gloves and keeping up good hand hygiene. If you are concerned you can have your kitties checked at the vet. Chances are they are just fine.

Is he not going to change diapers then either ?

4 Likes

No you rehome the boyfriend. He’s super selfish

6 Likes

You can kick his dumbass out. Wtf is wrong with these so called men???

Wear a mask and wash hands when done

1 Like

My vet told me to wear rubber gloves and to make sure to wash after and I would be fine

2 Likes

He sounds like he’s gonna be a great dad. :flushed: They may not be his cats but it IS his baby he is protecting by changing the litter. What an a-hole. Rehome the boyfriend and ask a friend to come change your litter for $10 a couple times a week!

20 Likes

Take necessary precautions when changing the litter box. But while reading this post I think you have MUCH bigger problems than having to change the litter box. Your boyfriend sounds like an ass and not very loving at all. Makes you wonder what kind of father he will be if he treats you this way

Rehome the boyfriend.

7 Likes

It’s not that serious. Just don’t ingest it. Lol.

2 Likes

I wore gloves with my 2 pregnancies. I have 4 cats and 2 litter boxes. No issues here

2 Likes

Keep the cats get rid of the boyfriend.

8 Likes

He sounds like an asshole, but you can do the liter no problem. Just wear gloves and wash your hands after. My doctor said it was fine.

It can be dangerous. But if a mask can keep you safe from covid I’m pretty sure it’s safe to change the kitty box

3 Likes

I used a disposable litter box. Mask, gloves and just wrap the whole thing in a garbage bag. Cat litter grosses some people out. I get it.

Re-home that shitty ass bf for one, and I’m a single mom who relied on her 13 yr old to take care of her kitty potty box but if I had to I wore gloves and a filtered mask to do it and thoroughly washed my hands not hand sanitizer but antibacterial soap afterwards to take care of my baby. And again fuck any boy who refuses to not step up and be a man in form !! Arielle Owens

Litter robot a refurbished is $400 but all you have to do is pull the bagged kitty litter out and to the outside trash and put a new bag.

Maybe wear a mask and wash your hands good?

I would rehome the cats. And the boyfriend

1 Like

Re-home the boyfriend !

4 Likes

Re-home the boyfriend
He will not be loyal
Take as many precautions as necessary. Gloves, garbage bags masks what ever it takes . If three smaller boxes makes it easier to life do so

It’s really not that serious. I did extensive research and was able to safely change my litter boxes for all 3 of my pregnancies. Wear a mask and gloves. Super simple.

3 Likes

It cats you change it you’re pregnant not crippled or you put them out

I wore a mask and gloves last year. When corona came i was prego. And i changed mine.

Where a mask. Still shitty of him tho

Rehome the boyfriend

8 Likes

I bought a self scoop litter box. Lasts around 25 days with one cat. When I need to change out the box. I wear gloves and a mask then wash my hands when all done.

Rehome the boyfriend

6 Likes

I’m not big on pets, so I also wouldn’t be able to clean it…

Can the cats be outside thru your pregnanc?

Rehome the bf. as long as your cats are strictly indoor cats I guess the threat of toxoplasmosis (the reason pregnant women shouldn’t mess with litter) is extremely low. With that said as long as they stay indoors and your quick about it and wash your hands good before doing anything else your risk is slim to none! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

When I hid my pregnancy I held my breath when I cleaned the litter box lmao
Did it work? Idk lmao

I just wore a mask and used litter liners with all 3 of mine just dont wanna breath it in

1 Like

Use gloves :woman_shrugging:t3: You can also get toxoplasmosis from a cat scratch or if they lick anywhere you are scratched. It’s the whole cat not just the poop.

You spelled boyfriend wrong. It should say assclown

13 Likes

I have 2 kids and I always wore a disposable mask and gloves but changed the litter a few times a week and both myself and my kids are very healthy. I would be annoyed bc of your bfs selfishness… it will only get worse. But you will be fine if you do it just be smart about it :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not the litter that’s dangerous it’s that you shouldn’t touch the cat feces, so gloves definitely!

Re-home the boyfriend and pay someone a few bucks that can do it

9 Likes

Rehome the cats for your safety. And the asshole boyfriend for your sanity.

Get rid of the cat and litter box!

7 Likes

Shiiiit… here comes parenthood hahaha

Ummmmm I love cats. I have two. When I got pregnant, my boyfriend HATES touch the litter but he did it for me. Because he knew it wouldn’t be safe if I’m doing it.

2 Likes

You can do it safely. Just wear disposable gloves and a mask. Wash you hands thoroughly. I worked at a vet clinic throughout my first pregnancy and as long as you use precautions it’s ok.

3 Likes

Wear a mask and gloves

And while you’re at it tell your boyfriend to grow the fuck up because he better get use to cleaning up shit and piss that doesn’t belong to him :woman_shrugging:t2:

And if he refuses than rehome him. Solved :white_check_mark:

I just wore a mask, my husband was alway adamant that he didn’t want cats because he hated cat litter.

Use a mask and do it yourself… but id consider rehoming that boyfriend. He seems childish by his response. if he can’t do a small thing now for you I wouldn’t have high hopes for him in the future. I took in rehomed cat cause my ex best friend new dick dint like her cats my husband dint really want them but did not tell me no and when I ask him to help me with liters freeding or whatever. He does it no question

8 Likes

Step 1: rehome boyfriend
Step 2: use rubber gloves and mask and wash your hands and arms throughly after cleaning. If you are still concerned try to clean in a well vented area, maybe have a fan blowing to circulate the air or you can consider purchasing an air purifier for the area the cat box is in. Getting pregnant doesn’t mean you have to give them up, just take extra precautions is all.

9 Likes

Hello, whole man disposal? I need a pickup. Yes, the entire man.

6 Likes

Rehome the boyfriend

6 Likes

Be sure to wear your mask and really think about when you ask him to change the baby

Just wear a mask and gloves

I’m sorry if my boyfriend refused to change my cats litter box he can go and trust me never had this issue when I was pregnant as he did it as he knew the results would be bad

2 Likes

Rehome your boyfriend. Mask up for kitty litter…

3 Likes

Start using drawstring liners that you can just tighten to close and off it goes. No scooping. Then you put on a mask and gloves to do it, and wash well immediately after.

My husband was a long haul driver, had to make do without the help.

1 Like

I would rehome the boyfriend. Sounds selfish to me.

4 Likes

Well you think he is selfish over cat litter box Well im sure after the baby arrives he will throw that in your as well So rehome him asap
Gloves face mask wash hands very well or rehome home them kitty’s

1 Like

As long as they aren’t outdoor cats and up to date with shots you’ll be completely fine. I had three cats through both pregnancies and they’re both healthy active toddlers. Make sure you wash your hands well and do your best not to inhale the dust particles.

1 Like