I am terrified to birth a big baby

I’m pregnant with my 4th baby, and I had my 31-week ultrasound today. The baby is already measuring at 4lbs 6oz. I’m supposed to go at 36 weeks to see if he measures bigger. My youngest was 9lbs 2oz. My oldest was 7lbs 9oz and my 2nd 8lbs 2oz. I wanted to do a natural birth, but I’m terrified of delivering a huge baby. Since I’m high risk due to my age, they told me if he is (10-11lbs) big, they’ll recommend a C-section which I don’t want to do unless I absolutely have to. And for the record, not shaming anyone who had one or chose to have one. I’m not sure if the ultrasounds are accurate for weight. Do I talk to my OB about induction early for 37-38 weeks if he’s going to be big? My youngest came at 2 1/2 weeks early on her own. The other two we induced for medical reasons.

49 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I am terrified to birth a big baby - Mamas Uncut

Due to a thyroid disease I had to have alot of ultrasounds coz they said my bub would be small. However I gave birth the day after she was due and she weighed 7pd 12oz. Good luck❤

My bub always measured big, they tried to talk me into a c-section, high risk with age, he was 8pound 12, I delivered normally, my midwife seen him and asked where the rest of him was!

They missed my daughters size and I had a natural birth she came 11lb 1oz so it is possible, my daughter before was 10lb 4oz and I had her at home so don’t panic its amazing what our bodies can do

I’m having my second c section my first baby was almost 10 pounds and had a section cause he was breech, this baby is measuring big too, I don’t recommend vaginal for that size as they are at risk for a more traumatic birth , c section is safer for the baby, you don’t want anything to happen to their head or shoulders or severe tears, c section yes is harder to heal from but I think it’s the safer way to go my doctor also agreed with that, at the end of the day it’s totally upto you but outweigh the pros and cons for both and see what works best for you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Don’t trust ultrasound measurements. At 36 weeks with my first they said she was over eight pounds and wanted to induce me the next week. At 38 weeks I went into labor on my own with a 6.4 pound baby.
Mine were 6.4, 7.2, 8.12 and then 6.12…. Everyone was convinced my fourth would be 9 because my babies kept getting bigger. Trust your gut and your body. Btw my 8.12 was easier than my 6.12 due to position.

1 Like

I had one baby naturally come on her own, and one induction (due to him measuring big). Was induced a few days early and hated the induction process and feel it was harder on baby. Wish I had just rode it out and let him be, but i too was scared about delivering a big baby. He had so many complications after birth and I feel it’s because he wasn’t fully ready, and the induction just seems harder on baby. If you’ve already successfully delivered a 9lb baby I think you’re good! Towards the end of your pregnancy, they don’t grow so rapidly i was told so waiting until full term or even a week after shouldnt make much of a difference. & like you said, measurements can always be off. My baby ended up being 8lbs 14oz and the actual delivery itself was super smooth. Smoother than my smaller first born, go figure :woman_shrugging:

I was told my youngest was going to be big. She was 3 weeks early. She weighed 6.1. My littlest baby.

I’ve had 7 kids — 2 weighing 8 lbs 3 oz, 1 weighing 8 lbs 8 oz, 3 in the 6 lb range & my last was 7 lbs 1 oz but tbh, my last baby was harder to deliver than my 8 lb babies

They’re almost never accurate tbh they told me my LO was going to be 12lb and she was just shy of 9lb

2 Likes

All pregnancies are different. My oldest was almost 10 lbs and I gave birth vaginally. Daughter was 8 lbs exactly and a c-section that was had some hiccups. My youngest was just under 8 lbs and my c-section with him was a breeze. Don’t psyche yourself out!

My daughter was 10lb. Bigger babies are easier to birth

My second baby was 9.9 and I done it completely natural they had no idea she was this big and we’re horrified they let me go unrecognised. Point being is that it’s really hard to get an accurate measurement. It’s easier said then done but trust your instincts and don’t panic over something that hasn’t happened yet! You got this x

Don’t trust it. I was induced because they told me he was close to 9 pounds and was getting to big for my body to go naturally. I was induced at 37 weeks and my boy was a little ol 6 pounds :joy: he was the smallest baby born that week.

1 Like

I’m 34 weeks and measuring at 37 they say he’s big and right now is about 6lbs almost 7 🥲 I go back in 2 weeks to see if I’m going to be induced due to big baby and possibly might need a c section😏 I’m hoping o go into labour soon but doesn’t look like it

Lol I was 12 pounds and 13 ounces and my baby brother was 12 pounds 4 ounces that was back before they give you anything for pain to hear mom tell it

My boys were 9lbs 10oz had c-section at 36 was & 10lbs 8oz c-section @ 38wks. I also had gestational diabetes.

To be honest my oldest who was 6lbs when born was the most difficult, I have had 2 8lb babies and 2 9lb babies after and they were so much easier.

I was told I was going to only have small babies (6 Pound) because of how small I am. I had 8 Pound+ babies.

My friend was told her baby was going to be big at least 8-9 Pounds. Only had a 6 Pound baby.

The weight is only an estimate and most times they are wrong.

2 Likes

They are not always right they told me my little boy was going to 8/9lb and we got clothes for that size he was born full term to his due date and he only weighed 5lb 15oz so don’t all was go by what they say xx

They told me my first was small and I would be ok she was 8lb born at 36wks
They told me my second was measuring 2 weeks ahead and that he was very large and that I should expect a 9/10lb baby due to gestational diabetes every scan he was measuring more and more . He was born at 7lb9oz
My 3rd nothing was mentioned st any monitoring check ups or scans he was born 8lb1oz

Personally I’d take a C-section over a vaginal birth any day of the week :joy:

2 Likes

My 1st daughter was 7lbs 7oz 2nd daughter 10lbs 3.4oz natural with both I’m nearly 28 weeks pregnant with my son and he’s ment to be around 10lbs as well I’m apparently going to be induced again and won’t be going to the end like I did with daughter 2 due to having gestational diabetes with this pregnancy I’ve been freaking out too lol

I don’t know how old you are but I was 45 with my last one and he was 9lbs 4oz and my doctor wasn’t worried. It was an easy quick delivery. I am not a big person either.

1 Like

They measured my son and told me he was 6lbs. I had a C-section and found out later he was 9lbs and 15ozs. I wouldn’t trust the measurements. You never know. I would definitely talk to him and if he says no talk about a C-section.

1 Like

My first baby was measuring 9 lbs at my 38 week ultrasound and was born at 39 weeks weighing 7lbs 14oz
My 2nd baby was measuring right at 10 lbs at my 38 week ultrasound. I refused to be induced until the full 40 weeks and she was born weighing 7lbs 15oz
The ultrasound lady said they measure belly size to determine weight and it’s often incorrect. I was TERRIFIED of having a big baby too and even more terrified of a c-section. My epidural was not effective in fully numbing me and I could feel everything. It was pretty intense but much easier to push when you could feel what you were doing. I say do whatever makes you comfortable and happy. Do not let them pressure you into a birth plan that isn’t what you want. Best of luck to you mama!

You have every right to decline a c-section if you don’t want to it.
There is no way to actually tell baby estimate weight until they are born
All three of mine were estimated to be “big babies” yet they were born average size.

Those ultrasounds aren’t always accurate

They used to try scare me too that I might have a big baby but he was 7lbs and 12.4oz

Lots of times the ultrasound is off on the weight.

1 Like

My gynaecologist decided for my son to be born 3 weeks earlier because of his size…am diabetic but I still have C section. I didn’t think I could do a normal birth. I tried it with my first but

My daughter was 10lb10 and early. She was my EASIEST birth so far, due for baby #6 in 9 weeks

I have 4…9/9…9/6…11/0 and 10/13…all natural only Stitches with the first.
Your body knows what to do.

When I was pregnant, all my scans projected my boy would be big. I had GD so my scans were more frequent. My 30 week scan he was measuring 7lb at my 36 week scan he was at 10lb. I tried to birth him naturally but it never happened that way. 4 days of labour and an emergency c section he was only 7lb 6oz. So I do t think they are all to accurate.

So all your babies were born early like around 38 wks and big babies? If so evidence proves you have big babies. You can birth a 10 lb baby. Woman do daily.

Those measurements are not always accurate. They told me my son was going to be 12 pounds. I delivered natural after 29 hours he came out 8.5 pounds

Don’t ever believe their guesstimated birth weight. I was told mine was 8lbs the day before. He was 6lb 5oz then some how less than 24 hrs went down to 5lb 13 oz.

Hi, my 4th baby weighed 11 lb 2 oz. he was my easiest birth. the bigger babies seem to do a lot of the work… also by 4th time around it happened a lot easier. it was my only birthing with no pain killers either. just had a little oxygen at the very end. my smallest weighed 7 lob 6 0z. she hurt like hell. was the worst. I don’t think size of a baby reflects on how painful labour is. Wish you all the best.

1 Like

Ultrasound is a pretty good rough estimate. I was told both of my daughters were measuring smaller. granted their machines estimated them a whole pound under both times. Both of my babies were IUGR. Born small but completely healthy. :sparkling_heart: All just depends. I should mention a doctor can normally generally measure with their hands and get a more approximate measurement before baby is born.

My brother n his gf have jst had a baby 10days ago her 41wk scan said baby would b close 2 9lb bt whn baby was born a wee girl she was only 7lb 5ozs n 50 cms long so yea def nt always correct

I was told all the way through my baby was tiny and on the lower end of the percentile for height and weight and he was 8lb 10! They can be so off, don’t be forced into something you don’t want to do x

You won’t grow a baby too big for your body. And big babies are often easier to birth because they are helped by gravity :joy: but honestly, a big baby is just a variation of normal and nothing to fear, you got this mama!

Don’t believe it hun they said my baby was already measuring at 9 pounds at 32 weeks. I had her at 36 weeks she was 6 pound 1 lol

5th baby and I was told he was going to be about 10lb he was born 6lb
All my others were 7lbs or under.

The ultrasound they did for me the day they induced me was off by 10 oz. They said he was 10 lbs 8 oz but he came out 9 lbs 14 oz

If your over 40 they don’t want you past 38 weeks (I’m in pa)

Baby is only (on average) expected to gain about 1/2 pound a week in the third trimester/ last two months of pregnancy.
So if you go another 8wks, that would only be approximately 4lbs of weight gain and would put babe in the 8.5 range -not unreasonable. Those early guesstimations are not always entirely accurate anyway and weight gain can fluctuate. Don’t stress yourself out about it too much. Your dr. will probably recommend an early induction if babe is truly oversized when it’s closer to time.
Not all, but many moms who have already had babies will typically go into labor earlier compared to first time mothers, who will often go into labor after their due date.

Stop worrying and just deliver the baby.

2 of my 3 were 9 pounders…you’ll be perfectly fine! Your body was made for this :wink:

Their estimates aren’t accurate at all. Five kiddos and not one estimated weight was anywhere close to their actual weight.

1 Like

Mine weighed close to that around same time and only came out as 7’12

I had a 4 lb 4 oz 31 weeker and an 8 lb 4 oz 36 weeker. Also they don’t induce due to size. They may give you the option to induce at 39 weeks elective induction but anyone can do that. As for induction due to just weight only that won’t happen around 37-38 weeks. There would have to be another diagnosis like gestational diabetes or something.

If it gives you any reassurance my you gest was 6lbs 4oz at 32 week and she was born 37+6 11lbs 2oz. So hopefully your baby won’t be as big.

I have birth to my oldest 52 years ago. He was 10 lbs 13 oz and 22 3/4 inches long. His brother was 8 lbs 14 oz and 23 1/2 inches long. Both were vaginal births. I did fine.

Ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate at guessing weight late in gestation. They can easily be off by more than a pound later in pregnancy so personally there’s no way i would schedule a c-section based purely off the estimated size on an ultrasound. Especially if you don’t have gestational diabetes or something where it’s known to make babies grow larger.

2 Likes

My doctor told me at my 32 week visit when I was pregnant with my son that he was measuring 7 and a half pounds. I was terrified he was going to be a huge baby… But he ended up being 7lbs, 8oz.

My youngest son was born by VBAC after 3 c-sections and weighed in at 10lbs 6oz. I was so terrified when my doctor told me to start pushing. I was like, “Wait! What”? It happened so fast and luckily I didn’t remember the pain at all. You’ll do great. Just stay calm and concentrate on welcoming your sweet baby

They kept threatening C-section with my second. They said because if age, her size & she was breech. Somehow days before she was born all those risk factors didn’t matter any more. They made me go through 3 days of labor. I wish they let me have a C-section. Her birth was an awful expirence. I ended up having an emergency C-section with my youngest. It wasn’t as bad as I was lead to expect. I’d do it again rather than a long labor.

You’re over worrying at this point

My first was 9 pounds 4.5 ounces and I did fine… I was worried my second would be bigger but was almost 2 pounds smaller. :grin:

My baby was a big baby, and I was in labor for 12 hours and due that he was a big baby, I ended up having a n emergency C-section bc he was in distress. Sometimes is not what’s is better for us , but for them, my recovery for the C-section was smooth and painless. 4 years after I don’t have any problems .

1 Like

No one shames mothers who want to deliver naturally if they can. The recovery time for a C-section is maddening.

Doc told me expect a 9/10 pound baby, three kids later they were all 7lbs an 4oz,6oz,8oz

I just had my 5th and she was just over 10 pounds, she wasn’t my biggest either her sister was 11 pound 6 Oz and I’m only small myself. My other babies were 9 pounds and my smallest was 7 pound 10 Oz and honestly the bigger babies were a lot less painful than the smaller one. I was induced at 38 weeks with all of them except my 4th (came on her own, she was 9 pound exactly) and first born (he was late and I was induced at 41 weeks instead) due to me being diabetic, and their size so it’s definitely possible.

All mine but 1 were almost 10 lbs and I had 5 boys .
Ultrasounds lie they told me my babies would be like 8 lbs largest was 10.3

I was told I was having an 8lb baby. A week later I gave birth to a 5lb 9oz girl. They aren’t always correct.

1 Like

Honestly do what u need to do,
If you feel like the baby is gonna be to big see if they’ll induce you sooner as you don’t want a C-section… if you have the right doctor as long as the doctor is included on your decisions everything should be fine

If you can avoid c section I would… they like cutting us for no reason… only let them cut you if you or the baby is in danger (God forbid) I wish I had someone tell not to do it

I had an ultrasound a 41 weeks with my daughter and was told she was over 8lbs. I had her 2 days later she was 7lbs 6oz, i dont believe they are that accurate

I was told I should have a c section cause they said my first was gonna be 11 lbs. She came out 9lbs 6oz and I barely tore. You will be okay your body knows what it can do :heart:

1 Like

My babies were 7.1/2, 8.2, 9.7. and 8.11. With my 9 pounder they kept scaring me the entire last trimester saying he was going to be absolutely massive and impossible to deliver naturally but I did it, and he wasn’t nearly as big as they thought he would be. That being said, 9.7 is big but I didn’t have any issues pushing him out. I pushed less than 10 minutes. Try not to worry too much I feel their growth scans are pretty far off sometimes. I also thought my fourth baby would be huge because they kept getting bigger down the line :rofl: but she was only 8.11 at 41 weeks vs my others all being born at 39

I’ve always been told I’m having a big baby my first baby even recommended C-section.

My middle daughter was 5lb 0 Oz. My biggest was my son at 7lb 8oz and my other daughter was 6lb 7 Oz.

I am giving birth in a few weeks and based on fundal height baby was big but ultrasound confirmed she is “normal” sized.

If you’re already high risk induction is usually a good option so why not ask for early induction37-38?

At my 36 week us they estimated my baby to be almost 9 lbs she was born almost 5 weeks later at 7 lbs 6 oz. The ultrasounds are known to be inaccurate.

Ultrasound for my first said he would max out at 6lbs. He was 7.13. For my second fit said he was going to be well over 8lbs. He was 7 even.

I was told my baby was already 6lbs at 34 weeks, I was TERRIFIED :fearful: :sob: Went into labor at 38 weeks and he was only 7lbs. It’s just a guess

My youngest son, they told me he was approx 7lbs on the morning of his birthday. That afternoon I gave birth to a 10.8 lbs baby measuring 22.75”. I blackout when I was at 7 cm dilated. He was born via emergency C section.

The weight in womb is more guess than anything. My daughter was estimated to be 10lb ish at birth, born weighing 7lb 6oz, my 4th son they said would be about 6 pounds…he was 9lb 12oz.

They told me my son was going to be huge and I would likely need a c section and that was due to an ultrasound at around 38 weeks…he was 7 lbs 15 oz and I delivered naturally.

They told me my 1st was going to be in the 90th percentile and be hugeeee. My water broke before the scheduled section. And went in to labor. They did the section. She weighed 7lbs 10.8 oz…
My second they said ill be lucky if shes 6lbs. And while they were cutting her out asked how big i was told. I said they said 6lbs. They held her like simba and said well they were wrong. And came back saying shes 9 1/2 pounds lol doctors dont know shit.

My kids were: 7lb 8oz, 7lb 8oz, 7lb 8oz, 7lb 6oz, 9lb 12oz, 9lb 2oz, and 9lb 8oz…next one due July 2022. So far all vag births no pain meds. every baby, pregnancy,and labor different. Best of luck!

my last 2 were big babies. i was so against csections with my 2nd but due to health reasons cause some as stuff that happened cpl hrs after i had my first they recommeneded i had one n after some thoughts and opinions from my husband nd his gma i decided to go with it cause i had a ultrasound at 28 weeks and i was measuring 4-5weeks ahead. they said he was gonna be over 9lb. he was 9lb 11oz. my 3rd i wasn measuring big with her but she was 10lb12oz.

if they say baby gonna be big most likly will. csections aren as bad as u think they are. u just need someone to help u the first 2 weeks. with mine i only did what i had to do and that was tend to the baby. and u csnt baby urself with a csection. getting up and walking will help sooo much with recovery!

Do not agree to a c-section because of the weight. Ultrasounds can be off by a pound for weight. Not very accurate. You’ve already had big babies so I’m sure you will do great with this baby!! Don’t let your doctor’s scare you into an unnecessary major surgery

My third baby was 11lb 14.5 oz, although we expected a big baby induction or c-section we’re never mentioned. Natural birth x

1 Like

My last two were suppose to be 9lb babies according to ultrasounds. One was 6lbs 12oz and the other 7lbs 3oz. Don’t believe everything they say when it comes to that.

Mine got bigger from my first to my last. My last was 10 lb even. The ultrasound said he would only weigh around eight pounds. But when he come out he was 10 even. Although my baby before him was 8 lb even but measuring around 9

They are not accurate for weight. My second baby was supposedly between 10 and 11 pounds and came out at 7 lbs 13 oz.

I went for my last ultrasound on 5/22 they said my daughter was at 6lbs 8oz when I gave birth a day after my due date on 6/30 via csection she was 9lbs 9oz

So I’ve got my two boys. My first the week before due date he was reading 11lbs, I was 27hrs in labor as I refused to do a c-section (petrified of needles) after the 27hrs and my water breaking it was decided that I had to go for the c-section. He was born 10lbs 13oz.
My second was reading 9lbs two weeks before due date. With him I had opted for a c-section as I knew the healing process and didn’t want to go through the discomfort of labor again, my c-section was 1 week before due date. He came out 10lbs.

My experience with the c-sections were good, my first took longer to heal but I was told it was from trying naturally before hand ( I was 48hrs before walking around the hospital and it was extremely uncomfortable). My second I was home at the 24hr mark after already doing laps in the hospital. The only thing you have to really watch for is signs of clots after. I was 3 months postpartum and developed DTV , they told me it was from surgery which is normal just went sure why it took so long to appear. My OB thinks it could have something to do with my birthcontrol more then the surgery itself due to the timeline

So have a c section, it’s what I chose to do for my almost 10 pound son and my 6 pound daughter.

I was told my daughter was around 7lbs. Ended up with c section because she was stuck. She was 10lbs 7 oz.

This just happened to me with my third baby. Had a 7.2 pound baby, then 9.4lbs baby. And doctor was wanting me to get a c section with my third. My doctor kept giving me ultrasounds weekly till I ended up delivering her. They kept saying she weighed 6-6.5 lbs everytime. But for some reason her head wasn’t growing. (I think she was out of room) well she actually ended up coming on her own, and she was small enough that I was able to birth her vaginally. She ended up being 7.4lbs!!

You’ve already been having big babies…you’ll be fine.
But I wouldn’t do it naturally though :weary: big ups to you :muscle:t5:

I don’t believe the ultrasounds are correct, with my second I was told if I went to my due date (which I did) she would have been over 8 pounds… she was 6 pounds 12 ounces lol.

I was told my daughter would be 8.5 lbs at birth and she came out 5lbs 14oz.

My oldest son was 6 lbs 14 oz, my daughter was 8 lbs 1 oz and my youngest was 9 lbs 2 oz. I had all of them naturally with epidural

They said my 1st was 7lbs, she was 4.8lbs. My 2nd they said was 8lbs she was 6.2lbs

At 35, I had my last baby induced at 38 weeks she was 10lbs 3oz you will be fine. Get an epidural if your worried

My little is 6days old now at the 34 week ultrasound he measured 37weeks and they had his weight at 6lbs 8ozs. I delivered 3 days before his due date and he weighed in at 8lbs 13ozs, I can not tell you the fear and anxiety I had worrying he was going to be 10lbs, I think maybe the weight can be off with ultrasound at times.

I was told my daughter was between 7 and 8 lbs she was 6lbs