I am thinking of reporting my neighbors: Thoughts?

If it’s super concerning to you I would do a wellness check… No harm in that… but yes there is a big possibility the child has special needs…I have a autistic child and they think my daughter has autism also we are waiting testing but they are already sure… and all of this is true a lot of the stuff you mentioned happens at my home but I have an explanation… oh gooodnessss…You should hear the sceams that’s come from my home sometimes… it’s very very very hard to raise a severely autistic child and well I’m raising 2 who are little…I’m sure my neighbors want to report me also :joy: but it’s because there is suck a lack of understanding children and adults with special needs…Meltdowns every single day my son is on the higher end of the Autism scale… my children love stuff scattered everywhere and I clean my house daily but it always looks liked I haven’t cleaned in a week but yes I clean and sweep and Mop daily but the severe OCD and routines of my children make it hard to keep stuff clean and I’m order. My Tv is on for most part of the day with cartoons but my children do not sit down and watch tv really… my children are very active and never stop…my tv is always going because they like the background noise. My children have therapist and interventions that come daily and they even defend me because they see how hard it is with my children. My children are the hardest cases they have and my son is the strongest toughest and roughest little boy they have ever seen… even his teacher struggles… Especially since I’m always alone and doing everything alone. And my my son is also in diapers and yes we’ve tried quit a few times for potty training it’s just not clicking yes he has school that helps and his interventionist and therapist were all doing our best to help him…Yes I have my husband but he’s never home and doesn’t help really which I’m not complaining about. Either way I would call and ask for a wellness check just to be sure if you feel that is best…
Just please keep in mind not everything is what it seems. We could all use a little bit of understanding and compassion.

4 Likes

This does not sound like a safe situation for the child. I’d report.

Someone definitely needs to go check on them. Asap.
Every time you hear screaming call the police. Call and get a welfare check.
You have no idea what might be going on at that time in their lives so I think calling CPS might be a little too much. Some of the stuff you mentioned is none of your business. The other stuff concerns me and I would honestly go talk to the family and share some of your concerns. See what happens. If it continues and your gut is just telling you theres truly something wrong call CPS.

2 Likes

If what you have witnessed has you concerned go ahead and call someone about it and have them do a wellness check. If nothing is done at that point… then leave it alone and mind your business.

1 Like

First let me tell you a story. We moved into a home and their is a child that is overweight . After talking to them I got to know them. The mother has lupus the child has a thyroid problem and some delays. Still able to talk and get around. I would have never know just by watching through the window about what the watch and do.

3 Likes

But also trust your gut. If you believe with your whole heart that the reason you are really concerned is the kids safety. Then definetly call. Better to be disliked for being cautious. Then to hate your self for standing by and doing nothing when you could have helped save a child.

Mind your own business I’m sure I could find all sorts of things to judge you on mrs perfect put your nose lower…

1 Like

The way the world is today, parents abusing, neglecting, starving and killing there own babies, I would call someone. That’s all you hear on the news and newspapers any more. These poor kids dont have a chance in life if there is nobody to help protect them. I don’t know what state you live in, but in Pennsylvania, CYS don’t do much. Now if your neighbors dog is being neglected, best believe there coming right after that phone call and removing the animal If they see anything wrong. CYS calls or puts a card in your door and give you a two or three day notice to let you know there coming by for an inspection. Follow your heart!

There could be TONS of reasons that the kid is still in diapers there could be developmental delays there could be bladder issues… so many things. You cant jump to bad mom because her kid is still in diapers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Call cps when in doubt they will determine what’s going on from there

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound like a safe situation for any child! I’d report it!

Better call and report me too. My tv is on 24/7 as well. It’s either on cartoons or criminal minds 90% of the time. My 8 year old son is also homeschooled. Oh no! Maybe you dont know the whole story. Maybe you’re judging without knowing what the situation is. Maybe the child has medical issues or disabilities. Maybe you should mind your own business or find out if there is anything to actually be concerned about before putting your nose where it doesn’t belong…

5 Likes

Hmmm mind your own business. Trust your gut. If NOTHING is wrong, no harm no foul. If there is you may have saved a child.

Girl always follow your gut… chances are everything is ok but what if its not. I wouldnt want to take those chances. Not with kids.

2 Likes

Have someone do a well check on the children and check the home…

2 Likes

She’s not even of age for kindergarten. Some kids take longer to learn and she may have problems. Also some parents let them learn on their own and others are just lazy. If she doesn’t look beaten and obviously not malnourished like you mentioned mind your own business. If they choose to let their child watch tv 24/7 who cares, cps doesn’t.

3 Likes

Screams?? Scream is a cry for help for whatever reason. Report.

What would you report for? Dirty house and child not potty trained? You don’t have evidence of abuse, unfortunately.

7 Likes

Okay this group is to give advice not attack. She’s concerned for the child. She’s not just watching from the window she’s met the child. Sometimes it better to be safe than sorry. We all seen the news where a child could’ve been saved but due to minding their own business a child lost their life. No one is perfect, and she didnt claim to be perfect just expressing her concern. NO ONE SHOULD BE PUTTING ANYONE DOWN. This group is suppose to be a safe place

12 Likes

This is one of those letters, of “Oh dear me, they don’t live as I do and it’s horrible”…so make an anonymous call to the department of health and family services…or shut up. You are an adult why do you need others to tell you what to do?

4 Likes

See something, say something. You may lose a neighbor as a friend but the child is more important. If cps finds nothing, good, if they find things, you did the right thing!

3 Likes

I think she has a genuine concern about this childs living situation. I would call and report too

1 Like

Listen to the song “Alyssa Lies” by Jason Michael Carroll

1 Like

Its better to have it checked out, if nothings wrong good & if something is wrong you could be saving a childs life. Better safe than sorry.

4 Likes

If it were me. I’d call for a welfare check!! I trust my gut.

Also some of you are bitches.

If you hear these “blood curdling screams” at night, then why have you not at the least contacted the pice when it is taking place?

1 Like

I would never call CPS on a family without seeing a child being abused. There are many children that are on the Autism Spectrum that potty train at a later age. If the child isn’t malnourished, isn’t left unattended , doesn’t have marks of physical abuse I just wouldn’t call CPS. My daughter has a huge playroom with a mini trampoline, step 2 slide, a tent, and a ton of educational toys. I still let her have educational cartoons on all day everyday. My daughter flutters around playing, while still listening or watching Daniel Tiger all day. She doesn’t even realize she is learning, because she is having fun doing it. My oldest daughter watched Barney all day everyday, and graduated at the top of her class. They learn way more watching educational shows than playing with toys. My daughter’s are 14 years apart. My 6 year old is on the Autism Spectrum, and I homeschool her. People may not agree with computer screen time either, but that is how my daughter with Autism learns. We do reading eggs, and endless reader as well. They might be homeschooling due to a diagnosis. We are a smoke free, drug free, non drinking household, but I do have to say good for them if they are not polluting their children’s lungs indoors. We have a super clean home, but I have friends that are super messy. In no way, shape, or form are their children in harm though. It could be depression, or full time jobs that could have them in a rut. I also wanted to inform you if you don’t know some children with Autism have terrible meltdowns that they cannot help. That could be what you are hearing. I would think hard before ever calling CPS without more evidence. Make friends with your neighbors, and once you have some insight you might feel differently. :heart:

4 Likes

Next time you hear screams call and tell police you heard screams at ‘address’ and could they please check them to make sure they are okay. Then you are doing it out of concern, neighbor can’t be mad about that Police will be able to see the inside of the home and what you saw outside.

2 Likes

I advise making the call for a well child check. It’s better to make the call and all be fine then to be one of those people regretting “minding your own business”.

2 Likes

I would call if nothing’s going on CPS will dismiss it if something is going on then they will follow through and take care of the problem this case there’s no harm no fowl welfare checks just call

1 Like

I dont think just cuz they don’t live as you do gives you the right to report anything. You don’t see bruises or cuts on this child. Mine is almost 4 and not potty trained and refuses to. Just cuz you have a standard of what kids should be like does not mean it applies to all kids. Mine your business unless you see something significant.

6 Likes

Stay out of it!!! You don’t know if she’s having medical issues. Mind your own business.

4 Likes

If she’s not 5 yet then it’s normal for her to not be in school. They don’t start until 5. My son was almost 6 when he started because of when his birthday falls. They wouldn’t let him start until then. And the diapers could be some issue they are working on. It took FOREVER to potty train my son because it was just me and him and he saw me go and noticed I didn’t have the same parts as him and thus became completely terrified that if he used the potty his boy parts would fall off and get flushed. It was a major ordeal. If you don’t think the kids are being abused or starved or something, leave it alone and just keep an eye out or something. Not everyone’s house is going to be as clean as you think it should be. Not everyone is going to be the exact type of parent you are. You could ruin a family’s lives and tear them apart just because you think you’re better than them. Please please please think before you act.

1 Like

Report to be safe but she may have something wrong with her … if the cps go and find nothing then no problem … I would not be offended coz I have nothing to hide … plus they wont know its u

3 Likes

I would call for a wellness check.

3 Likes

Call child services!

2 Likes

Neglect is form of abuse. These parents may be doing there best and need guidance to do better they at very least aren’t doing the best for there child and that is always hard to see. I would report as I grew up in that household and it definitely needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

I think you should call …

2 Likes

I would absolutely report neglect.

2 Likes

This is a catch 22! I see both sides. Maybe call for a welfare check with PD.

2 Likes

My almost five year old has a developmental delay and is still in diapers, so that alone wouldn’t concern me. Everything else does, though. I would definitely make a report.

2 Likes

Better safe than sorry.

Id report it just for the fact that there is beer cans all over. Their house should not smell from the end of their lawn. I know not everyone is a clean freak ( im not either ) but theres messy and then theres a disaster. If it smells, chances are theres nasty stuff in the house.

4 Likes

Leave them alone. It doesn’t sound like the child is in danger

2 Likes

Being a foster/adoptive parent of children on the spectrum I will say we’ve been visited by CPS on several occasions. They were all unfounded, but you know what; every time they came I thanked them. Mandated reporter as a pediatric nurse so I know it needs done. You don’t know what’s going on but better to be safe than sorry when there’s any chance of harm to a child. Also it is anonymous. Our children have self harming behaviors as well as fits of rage, tantrums and stemming. As a matter of fact just this afternoon while our adopted sons therapeutic aide was here after them coming home from school he had a melt down; punching himself in the face, screaming, banging his head on the wall, etc. and he witnessed it. It looks like he’s going to have a shiner in the morning and we’ll probably get a visit from CYS. It’s ok. They’re doing there job. And if there is nothing to hide a parent should not be angry for anyone being concerned enough about their children’s well being. I do have to add that it’s never taken me more than a week to potty train ANY child. I’ve had several that came to us at 9 years not potty trained. They had special needs and one was non-verbal. It takes one week of commitment to to totally devote to that child’s toileting needs. So the potty training is laziness unless it’s a medical/kidney issue and if that’s the case should be easily able to prove. So what I’m saying if you suspect child abuse/neglect report it. I am our children’s strongest advocates and every child deserves one. They are worth it!

5 Likes

Calling cps for what🤔 a child not being potty train? Your something else if so also if the children not being abused leave it alone in mind your own business that’s what people should do💯 but don’t that’s the problem now in days SMH yes call if the children are being hurt not for this…

3 Likes

I’d call for a wellness check.

1 Like

Call in a welfare check at the very least

1 Like

Yeah you need to call

1 Like

I’m sorry but until you have absolute facts, then stay out of it!!! My friend had a child who didn’t potty train till almost 10 and he had Trisomoy 18 but his % Of chromosomal damage was just enough to be T18 baby but otherwise seemed normal. I know nothing other than what you tell me. But you don’t have enough. Who’s to say that yea the yard is a mess but the inside might be clean (probably not big you don’t know) stay out of it. Until you see abuse ~ I really dislike people looking from the outside making assumptions because it is likely wrong. Believe NONE of what you hear and less than HALF of what you see. Even what you see is clouded by our own perception. Sorry. Yay out of it.

2 Likes

I agree a wellness check.

1 Like

Suggesting opinions to call services on a parent or parents who maintain their own children that aren’t up to your standards seems a bit harsh. I’d extend myself as a beacon for the child first, chat with the parent or parents get a feel for the welfare before open cases are brought into someone’s life. If this child’s best interest is your goal than be a “neighbor” not a finger pointer who wants their style of life thrown on someone. At that point if you still feel services needs to be considered than yes, call for support.

3 Likes

Call. You just might save her life

1 Like

If she is 5 and still in diapers that is neglect. For the safety of the child call and report them.

2 Likes

A 5 year old doesn’t need to be in school . Also she could have a disablitly that u don’t see !!

4 Likes

Call the dog police then they can determine weather cps needs to be involved or not…problem solved

Think about it this way. If you call and it’s nothing, then it’s nothing. But if you don’t and something happens to the kid, you’ll never forgive yourself.

6 Likes

If you talked to the dad and he told you “he blames it on her not being potty trained” I’m assuming you have had encounters with these people and if your the only people, they might point you as suspect for calling…I wouldn’t, it’s how they are, how they live and how they were raised calling isn’t going to change anything except them possibly getting their kids took and will only make it worse

1 Like

The diapers alone aren’t enough, could well be a developmental delay. EVERYTHING rolled into one ball, sounds like a welfare check is in order for sure!

It sounds like your conscience will not allow you to let it go… there is probably a reason.

1 Like

Call CPS, ask that they do a wellness check.

1 Like

I’m Glad to know how many people (who commented on this) will call cps on someone they don’t know anything about…I swear just because someone isn’t doing something you don’t agree with you call on them how sad… I guess I can’t say shit or do shit in front of ANYONE

Probably should mind your own business :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

U shouldnt be contemplating u should have done it long before asking FB for advice u have a duty to that poor child call cps asap pls keep us updated

She may have sum problems which are taking a bit longer for the child to cum out of nappies u just never know

1 Like

Is there a way you could get to know this family better? Invite them to go to McDonald’s or a playground play date with you and your child? Can you suss our why the child is in diapers, overweight, screaming and not in preschool?

Ask who they call on for babysitting when they need a break, or if they have any medical insurance and a medical professional to call if they have questions. If they don’t have anyone, offer to provide the name & number of your babysitter or to call your pediatrician if they have a medical question.

Ask if the little girl who her friends are and what her favorite meals are, and if she has a favorite fruit or vegetable. What is her favorite activity? Is she being isolated? Is she fed nothing but junk food? Is she even verbal? Does she get any exercise? If you are outdoors, bring a ball to throw and catch.

If there’s no good reason for any of the problems, THEN call CPS, but see if you can find if there’s a reason first.

5 Likes

If you think the child needs to be checked on then that’s not reporting or sniching.Thats needing the piece of mind that the child is okay. You can also have a Well Check done on her. You seem very brite to me. Trust your instincts. If you think something’s not right then mabe something’s not right. :heart:

1 Like

Of you’re concerned report it, as adults we are the voice for children, if they investigate and things are ok, great that’s the outcome you could hope for.
Otherwise this little girl need ato be cared for properly whether that may be.

Both my kids will be 5 and not in kindergarten due to their birthdays. They both go when they’re 5 1/2. Maybe the child has a medical issue so she wears diapers. My tv is usually just on for background noise so to outsiders, I too, would “have cartoons on 24/7.” I’m just too lazy to change it. My kids aren’t glued in front of it. You have a lot of information for having “recently moved in”. It seems like you’re judging them for shit you know NOTHING of substance about. If you came and said the little girl was bruised, dirty, under weight etc… of course, call CPS or the police. But you’ve said NOTHING of that sort. I’d try and find out a little more information before you go making accusations that could flip someone’s world upside down.

Trust ur gut!!! CALL…

Maybe you should get to know your neighbors. My son is 5 & not potty trained. He’s a little on the heavy side. He plays VERY rough. Our TV usually has cartoons on. He screams bloody murder on a regular basis. He bangs on our doors & windows to the point I’m scared he’s going to bust one & get hurt. Maybe I should be reported… or maybe all of this is because my son is AUTISTIC!!! Maybe this little girl is autistic! MAYBE instead of judging your neighbors, you should find out a little more about them! And YES you are judging them!

19 Likes

Why do people think abuse is only physical? Why does this child need to be physically abused for you guys to do anything?
What disgusting opinions of adults.
Physical abuse isn’t the only form of abuse, if the parents are capable and doing nothing wrong, the welfare check still isn’t a waste of time, we have the be the children’s voice and ensure their safety is paramount even if it doesn’t seem like the right thing to do or even if there is little evidence, it’s better the family be cleared then the child be neglected right?

There is no question CALL THEM.

6 Likes

Why does some of you have to be so nasty? She was just asking a legitimate question just looking out for a little girl! Girl if you feel like you should then do it. It’s not gonna hurt if the parents are being honest and nothing is going on over there!

3 Likes

Why dont you try to set up a play date with the girls mom …maybe get closer to her and make sure that girl is in good hands that’s all sometimes all we nees is to communicate more with our neighbors rather than go out and about

2 Likes

If you see something then say something. If CPS investigates and everything is acceptable under the law then fine however if it is not then you may be saving a child’s life. If the adults in the situation have something wrong that they can’t take care of their children then intervention may be necessary.

7 Likes

Wellness check should be done

4 Likes

Report it !!! Better them come and say everything is fine then not

I would personally call and see if they could do a welfare check. It could be all good BUT it could neglect and abuse going on as well. B

2 Likes

I say Mind your buisness.

3 Likes

I would report them. They should be investigated. Think of the child.

1 Like

call child services…

2 Likes

I can’t believe there are people on here saying mind your own business. We are talking about a child’s welfare. You don’t mind your business when it comes to that. Clearly the child is being neglected at the very least.

16 Likes

I would definitely call that in. Do what you think is right

2 Likes

Child welfare is everyone’s business, whether they are your kids or not. Some kids have nobody to stand up for them because too many “mind their business” then when something bad happens all they do if offer their prayers when they could have offered their voice to uncover a problem. Report it…if nothing is wrong then great…but if something is wrong then GREAT you may have saved a child’s life

6 Likes

Absolutely ask for a wellness check be done. This is seeming to be much more serious than what you are actually seeing. Maybe there isn’t actual ABUSE happening but absolutely there is neglect. No smoking should be done indoors for a child to inhale. Also, If she’s almost 5 and has no learning disabilities or anything, she should certainly be potty trained at this point. A welfare check would not hurt a thing and I think it’s so needed from what you have told us you’ve seen

I dont care for cps they dont do shit properly… if I were you I’d try to get to know them and get csp involved. That way if CPS dont do anything like normal atleast you can sort of be there for that little girl.

Keep us updated with what u chose to do

3 Likes

There might be a reason behind her being in nappys as for there house sorry it’s none of your concern really mayb go over with a cuppa or can and see if mum’s ok instead of being a nosey neighbour

2 Likes

What does the tv on cartoons have to do with anything? It’s not like porn is on my tv has cartoons in all day to cause I have kids!!!

1 Like

I dont think it would hurt to call a welfare check. Your just thinking of the safety of the kids. Maybe the parents need help

3 Likes

Listen to your gut, if it’s obvious the home is being neglected than it’s possible the children are too, and maybe not by the dads fault but if you feel something is wrong call, CPS doesn’t just intervene to take kids, they also point parents to help where they might need it and offer services to help…best case scenario the kids are ok and the parents are working to try and improve things or worst case scenario they need help that a normal citizen wouldn’t be able to give.

1 Like

I’m sorry but this is why the world is the way it is. U said u have a daughter…then shouldn’t your focus be on her? See in today’s society we are always wondering what the next guy is doing…and to be quite honest ma’am…it’s none of your business. So be a good neighbor and mind ur business. Now if they’re visible marks or asking for help that’s different. At this point they just differ from u and u are trying not to judge them? Find some business to mind that’s yours.

8 Likes

My 5 year old has developmental issues, is in diapers, screams hella loud…still in school tho…and has been since 3 provided by the state

1 Like

Probably needs help yes call

1 Like

I’d definitely call and atleast get someone to go to a home study that doesnt seem like a healthy environment for kids. And 5 in diapers? I mean I’ve heard of hard to potty train but come on now she is 5. You can tell they dont try with her.

1 Like

CALL!! & if you still dont feel it’s right call again!!! my 1yr old step niece was being abused & CPS kept saying nothing was wrong. Til she died & they found broken and half healed bones dating back to the estimate of 3 months old!!!

7 Likes

Just call child services. Obviously you have an uneasy feeling about it and that’s enough to call. You could be the reason this poor child gets to have a better life. Call every time something different happens. Even if you haven’t seen anything “major” that sounds major to me. That child seems neglected.

Always trust your gut

No brainer ! Call Child welfare !

1 Like

The original poster is not making any derogatory comments towards the parents or anyone else for that matter. They have a concern which could in fact be a legit one. You never know until you are in the posters shoes. They are entitled to asking for an opinion if its needed and warranted, The child may have a disability or there could be something wrong imagine if it was your neighbors child screaming what would you do? Make sure they’re okay or just assume and make rude and uncalled for assumptions. Poster should call for a welfare check if concerned and if there is proof that the child is well cared for then nothing will happen and the poster gets their peace of mind back it’s that simple. They dont need people online berating them for asking a question about something they seem genuinely concerned about.

2 Likes

Please make a report…

1 Like