I am thinking of taking my ex for child support: Advice?

I live in Georgia & my daughter’s father & I are no longer together. She is two years old & I am the custodial parent & he has never lived with us. He has never provided much for her in the matter of child support. I added up how much money he’s sent me through the cash app in the two years my daughter has been born & it came to about $2k, but most of that didn’t go directly to my daughter. I just recently filed for him to be put on CS, but I doubt I will get much of anything because he doesn’t have a job & is living out of his car. He has no stability when it comes to anything & he is an alcoholic & constantly in & out of jail. I’m pretty sure he will contest the CS because he doesn’t want to pay. He’s also mentioned moving out of state (he thinks that will get him out of CS), but because he has no resources or money, I doubt that will happen. He also claimed her as a dependent on his taxes for two years & the 1st year received the credit, but I don’t know how because she loves me permanently. I’m on SSI & have limited income. I was just looking to see if there’s anyone else going through a similar situation with advice for me?

32 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I am thinking of taking my ex for child support: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Sorry you’re going through that, putting him on child support sounds justifiable to me.

2 Likes

My ex owes me 13,000 in child support building up from the first year and half with not paying a penny. Now he pays every other week. If it gets to high you can call the court and have a warrant issued for non payment. If he gets pulled over or im trouble he will auto go to jail and in order to get out he has to pay 10 percent of the amount owed.

1 Like

I don’t think you gain much by doing that if you’re on SSI and he’s got no money to his name.

2 Likes

Why waste your time if he has nothing? If he has nothing you will get nothing.:woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Moving out of state will not get him out of CS. My dad tried that and they eventually caught up with him through jobs, taxes (he didn’t file for years and IRS caught up with him) and SSDI. Also you can get SSI for your child if one parent is on it

2 Likes

Why put him on CS if he doesn’t work and lives out of his car…? What exactly will you be getting then? Even if he went to jail for not paying eventually, you still would be getting next to nothing. If he doesn’t want to be a father, I’d wait 6+ months with him not having contact and then try to get him off the BC since that’s abandonment.

4 Likes

Even though he has no job I’m pretty sure they can still put him on child support it might just go off or whatever minimum wage is depending on the state. Now I could be wrong but I do know that can happen. He’s still responsible for paying you even if it’s a small amount.

2 Likes

If he has no job , is in and out of jail and lives in his car ~ how do you think you’re going to get him to pay child support ? Don’t get me wrong ~ I don’t agree with him not paying CS AT ALL but where do you think he’s going to come up with what he owes at the moment ? If he gets arrested if you do file for it and he doesn’t pay then he’ll just go to jail and you still won’t get any. Unfortunately I don’t think this is a solution but I would look into maybe tax fraud for filing for your child and maybe you might get that … not sure how the law works where you are.

7 Likes

Maybe he should think about getting a job and taking care of his responsibility
People make me sick

4 Likes

I don’t guess I see the point. He is unemployed, an alcoholic and in/out of jail. You admit you still won’t get anything from him, he isn’t involved, so what is your end game?

4 Likes

In Georgia, if he goes to prison for none payment they will make him work while in jail and send you a check and to be honest… if hes living out of his car and an addict, that might be the best place for him

11 Likes

You could report him to IRS for fraud. I had to do this for my daughter’s father who hadn’t seen her since she was 2 and hadn’t paid a dime of support until 2010 and then she was still living with me, he hadn’t seen her ever and he had the BALLS to claim her on his taxes…i reported it and he had to pay them back

Put him on child support and if or when he gets a job you will get something. I took my child’s father to court for child support and they had him provide his job searches monthly till he got a job. My child’s father lives in a different state and child support office finds him every time he gets a new job. As for taxes claim your child. You may get audited but you can prove you have primary custody of your child.

3 Likes

Id file for cs.i have a nephew who owes over 20k in child support for their
3 children. He is about to win a large amount of money in a police brutality against him case.i believe that money will be going to his childens mom who has always supported their children. I say good. It should be that way.

7 Likes

I’m owed $45k in support. Her father turned to drugs when I was 5 mths pregnant. He was extradited once, I’ve only ever received $500. She’s now 17, almost 18. Good luck

2 Likes

Do it because if ever he gets money your child will be entitled to it

2 Likes

You should be claiming her on taxes not him. I would have turned him in for fraud right away both times. How’d he get her SS number?

8 Likes

CS from someone living in his car :thinking:

7 Likes

You’re taking a homeless man in for child support… Wooow…

11 Likes

I get what others are saying w him being unemployed, living out his car, etc. That there is no point in filing for CS. But if and whenever he gets his shyt together, all that wil be retro…and it will red flag him when he files for the child on taxes. File fraud w the IRS and imo I would go forth w the CS, even if it seems it’s pointless. Good luck

5 Likes

Im owed about 500,000 in back child support. My daughter is now 24. I wont ever get any of it because they closed the case without me knowing. Called to check status and they told me they closed it because they couldn’t get ahold of me. But had all my contact info etc. last check i got was for literally 38 cents. Most ive gotten was $2000 because his tax return got intercepted. And works under the table here and there. Hes able to live off of aid etc and they wont touch it to pay anything else he owes me.

1 Like

Yes, get a child support order. Even if he is not working because my ex had a cash job so he didn’t have to pay support. The judge still set a minimum of $50 and it will become arrears, but it is still owed. He can lose his license and more if he does not pay. They can also find him in contempt and make him serve jail time. Maybe that will wake him up! You can also ask that he pay half the stimulus credit back to you. If it was a year he claimed the child he is entitled to it. We recently went through this in court with my husband’s ex. We pay child support and it was our year to file so one judge wouldn’t allow her half the stimulus, but she got a lawyer and went to another judge and got half ours. Even though we didn’t get half of hers. Your child should also be receiving a check if you receive ssi. I know since my hubby pays child support he gets to claim his son every other year. I had sole custody and in my papers I claimed the children every year due to him not paying support.

2 Likes

I live in WV and they are thinking about changing the law here for children to automatically be 50/50 split custody. For future reference, I would still put in for CS and not expect money but in case that law ever were to come to your state you would have proof that he isn’t really involved in his child’s life? It’ll also add up so if he were to get a job in the future he would have the back payment of child support that would come to you from his check or his tax returns.

No one is exempt from financial responsibilities. I’m sorry for the place he’s in but maybe with this will be an eye opener for him to do something good in his life for his daughter. There jobs as in dishwasher , janitor anything really its honest work. He can apply for help for housing if available. This is just my opinion. If he claimed her on taxes and got the stimulus what did he do with that money? Like I said no one is exempt from financial responsibilities if you are a parent.

6 Likes

With or with out a job the non custodial parent is obligated to cs, there is a min and it just goes up based on wages. The state can require a paternity if he trys to question it, because that is the ONLY way he won’t be responsible. On ssi you qualify for state benefits (link/ebt, etc) where ever you file for benefits can give you information but they can file for cs for you as long as you receive/qualify for state benefits.
Once you have a court order for cs, it takes a court order to not receive it…whether he pays or not the debt will remain and each state has penalties up to and including jail. He can move anywhere in the country and it won’t void the cs order🤷‍♀️

2 Likes

Have you filled for survivors benefits? You can get extra from social security for having a child. That will provably help more than anything your can get from her father.

1 Like

My husband at one time owed CS to his ex and South Carolina took our tax refund until he was paid up and the kids were adults when he finished paying. So I say go for CS.

3 Likes

Just realize once you open that door hes able to get 50/50 custody. They wont force just payments and no visitation. Even if hes never even met the kid.

5 Likes

Lindsey Lacoste You & Everyone else on here dont know that mans story. Or how he got to where we is in life today. Just what the posted had to say…Adding more to his problems is pointless.

1 Like

They can suspend his license from lack of paying the court ordered CS and then he won’t be able to get insurance on the car he is living in/driving so that will create a problem for him. Getting caught driving on suspended is like quick sand — more fines and such are hard to get ahead of the more you get caught. He will have to be served the suspension on the first time he is pulled over but that is to make sure he knows it’s suspended and makes the case harder to beat when he violates. He needs to be held accountable and you can make any tax stuff goes to you and he will have to pay something to get released from jail if there is a criminal warrant/civil warrant for the CS issue.

2 Likes

Take him for child support anyways. The second he gets a job or files his taxes again, they will take it all and send it to you until he has paid it in full. And once she turns 18 if he is still paying g you can then turn the payments over to your daughter until they are finished. But, I would reach out to him and try and find him some help first. I know its not your job but it’ll be better over all. It could take years anyways for them to even serve him and make a court date.

2 Likes

Wow. 2k in two years in plenty tbh.
You’re going to get less in child support.
I have 2 kids and their dad only pays $50 a month in child support and he works.
That’s only $600 per year for two children. Good luck.

3 Likes

Job or not he is still obligated to support his child. Doesn’t mean he’ll pay it but still…. I haven’t received shit from my child’s father in years… but it’s there and it’s racking up and he knows it.

What parents do not understand is that if it is NOT written as a court order, letting the other parent claiming the child has told the IRS that they have supported that dependent for more than 6 months of the tax year. Which is a non truth and will get you in deep doo doo with the IRS.

And when someone does get pregnant, both parties need to step up, be adult, and get responsible for all needs of that child.

Paternity in doubt? DNA. It works.

3 Likes

Mom from Georgia here, too! He cannot avoid the responsibility or contest child support. If you have filed through DFACS, they submit everything to the division of child support, and at that point, he is held accountable. A judge will absolutely take into consideration how much he has provided, and the fact that he has no income does not matter - DCS has programs in place to help Fathers get jobs and they will hold him to that standard. Once he is made to get a job, he will not have a choice in paying. Once you have gone to court, and they determine how much back pay is owed, his tax returns will be intercepted until the amount in backpay is less than $500… Been through all of this personally, and I can tell you, Georgia might take their time, but they do not play games.

5 Likes

You won’t get anything. Best to walk away

3 Likes

So you already said the 2k you got didn’t go directly to your daughter…i get your income is limited but thats not his problem. Just like its not your problem that hes homeless and in and out of jail…visitation normally goes hand in hand with CS so don’t be surprised if they don’t do at least supervised visitation. If he dont show thats on him. But its going to be hard to serve him papers if hes homeless living in his car so your gonna have to hope he gets arrested. Even then they may not do anything. They never did with my dad. That shit was through the court and everything and my mom never saw a penny of it

Theres no point. Just let by gones be by gones

3 Likes

My sons dad did nothing for him before I filed for child support. But he always found a way to party with no job. He moved out of state once he found out I filed. In Florida even if he has no job they base his income off min wage. He got behind obviously cause he had no job, so they suspended his license. since then he found a job…and has kept it the longest I’ve ever seen him keep a job. He’s came to visit twice in 6 months. Now when I first filed it was a ugly situation. But now he kinda understands that child support if nothing compared to being the parent that’s there all the time doing everything by themselves. In Florida custody is a separate situation idk about Georgia.

Take him for cs. It will add up and he will eventually lose his license and go to jail and then he HAS to get a job then it will get to you. It’ll be awhile but sweetie you didn’t get yourself pregnant and if he isn’t helping physically he should help financially

2 Likes

My daughters dad is on child support
He owes 90,000.00
Because I’ve received 0.00

2 Likes

If he doesn’t work you won’t get anything. My ex is almost 18,000 behind.

2 Likes

You’ll get like 50 a month lol

Depending on the state he moves to, he would get out of child support, he just wouldn’t be able to go back to the previous state without being taken to jail

I believe you can file a form with the irs about him claiming her to report it for fraud. But to be honest as a mom who doesnt get child support you are lucky you have gotten 2k… and you probably wont get anything from him even if you file cs. Have you looked into adding her to your ssi?

3 Likes

It’s not a bad idea to at least file so he’s on record for it. Then if he eventually does get a job he’s forced to pay out cause they garnish his checks.
But no telling when he will work. I’m in the same boat, I filed on my kids father over 2 years ago. He’s an addict and has been living on the streets and in and out of jail that whole time. He’s in jail now and will be for a while.
I’ve literally never gotten a penny from him. But it’ll get his ass eventually :joy:

Being homeless with so many barriers for himself, im shocked he sent you 2k over the last 2 years. Some dads with solid income weasel out if that much.

4 Likes

Id just take what he gives you. 2k in 2 years isnt horrid. However u probably will get less if he shows NO income currently. Take him for CS sure. But u might end up getting ALOT LESS. he doesnt pay based on what you make or dont make. He pays based on what HE makes. Which is nothing currently. Tell will go off his tax returns and if he shows little to no income. Thats little to nothing to give for CS. Good luck! Hes damned either way it sounds.

Nah how come all of that money didn’t go towards her directly ? All of the money he gives no matter how much should go to her. Not you. It’s for her. If he’s sending money to you and you’re not using it for her you can’t get pissy.

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter if he lives out of state, child support is a federal matter and they will chase him across all state lines to get it. Do NOT let him claim her on taxes, he doesn’t support her. You do. Keep doing what you’re doing and go after that support, whether you get it consistently or not, you need that order if you want anything enforced. Your daughter deserves to have both her parents supporting her.

5 Likes

2k and most didn’t go to your daughter? Literally what you just said. If he sent 2k, and you didn’t use it for your child, you’re a C R A P mother. That’s for your child - clothes, bills, etc. Not your splurge money.

5 Likes

My ex is upwards of 30k behind. We are in Georgia also. The only thing they ever did was take away his license. Nothing else. The state cs office is ridiculous.

How is he claiming her on his taxes??

If he’s never lived with y’all then how does he have her social security number etc???

Also if he has no job then how is he filing taxes period??

I would definitely get the taxes issue and the fact that he has her info figured out ASAP!

5 Likes

Can’t contest child support. Good luck getting anything! My ex is over $10000 behind. I don’t depend on him nor do I ask him for anything! He hasn’t seen or spoken to my son in over a yr!

I hope you got a stimulus check for your daughter and not him.Georgia don’t care if he picks up cans too pay child support.I dare him too contest it! Child support recovery will do a DNA test ect…All you have too do is file the paperwork.He has to have a mailing address too be served papers.His beer buying days will be over.Sounds like he needs pushed in the right direction!

2 Likes

You can ammend your taxes and prove she lives with you and you’ll get your money back and he’ll owe that money back to the government. He can not say anything about cs he will have to pay and if he doesn’t you should at least receive his taxes once he falls a thousand dollars behind. I wouldn’t count on the money but you’ve filed the papers and sometimes you might get something.

If your state does cash for dependent children he will have to reimburse the state all $ they give you… check with your jobs & family services

First off all you have to do is con at the irs and send proof that child has always been with you second dad can’t claim unless he has an income :roll_eyes: third you can get a court order that says he can’t legally claim her as a dependent very easy to get

GA does not enforce cs like other states do. You’ll be lucky to get an order for $50 a month. But keep up with the cs anyway. 18 years later and $10, 000( 4 years only) that I’m owed. And if I would want the 14 years back cs that GA didnt enforce I would have to pay to take him to court.
Also it is illegal for your child’s father to claim the child on taxes if that child didnt live with him for 6 months out of each year and if you allowed it you can go to jail to for it right along side of him.

Is he in your lives at all? Does he see his daughter? Does he love her? If not, why not ask him to relinquish his rights or just file for abandonment? That way you don’t have to deal with him ever again & if you ever get married to someone else he can easily adopt her if you want. Doesn’t seem likely he will get it together or ever have resources to pay you anything anyway. Sadly it sounds like his addiction will cause him to die young. I’m sorry. Focus on yourself and your career and taking care of your daughter yourself.

You’re never going to see a penny, trust me mine’s been going on 12 years lol. However, if you need to ask for assistance from the state most times they make you have an open child support case on the other parent for help such as child care and stuff like that. At least that’s the way it is in Texas.

Even if he moves they will still run his soc number to see if he’s working if so they’ll garnish him. They run my sons dad every 24 hours. And him claiming her is fraud. He has to fully support her for over 6 months of the year and that be her residence which it dont sound like it is.

2 Likes

Wow homeless alcoholic and still sent some money! Why didn’t money go directly to her? Why ask for it, seems like majority of women can not this on their own.

7 Likes

$2000 over a 2 year period Is nothing!!! The not directly to her was probably survival measures like , bills, fuel, food! Is all of which benefit the child!
No she doesn’t need to be thankful or grateful or praise his sorry ass for providing for a child he helped create, that’s the bear minimum of responsibility.
It’s good to file anyway that way it’s on record and they will charge him on the minimum wage in your area, Moving will not change that because child support is All connected through the US. He will also not be able to get any kind of state license if he is in rears of child support, They will also take any state or federal taxes he recieves.

You should get it still and he will just owe back child support. At least here in Oregon

Get him for committing tax fraud. If you didn’t give him permission to claim her, then he committed fraud

2 Likes

Well that’s that. U just put him on and let it all just do it’s work. Sometimes they land in jail, and still have to pay. So he has to get a job in jail. Get a PIN on her social so only you can claim her. And if anything… Not sure if you have state assistance. If you collect cash and food stamps, you’ll get the child support. They just make him pay it back.

1 Like

Contact the IRS and file something that lets them know he committed fraud. He will have to repay that money. He’ll (hopefully) never do it again so that when you file taxes you can claim her. You need to do this so that he doesn’t do it again!!

Probably the easiest thing to do would be file for assistance like ebt and housing assistance (if you can while getting SSI, not sure of the laws with that) and they will automatically go after him for support, but you’ll still be able to get assistance.

1 Like

I’d call and report him to the irs

2 Likes

Why did u let him have her SSN?

7 Likes

Most likely he has nothing so he can’t afford to pay you so he will just end back up in jail so what’s the point. I understand you need money but the man is basically homeless. Now I don’t know about your state but in Pennsylvania they will make him look for employment. Shit 2 thousand in 2 years is more then some mother get.

Report him for claiming her and keep after the child support enforcement to get the money.

2 Likes

My daughter only gets $40 a week when he does pay. Court ordered child support for 8 years now. And he has contested everytime and it has not been raised. She is 15 now and still only $40 a week occasionally… I would have been happy with the 2,000 to be honest

4 Likes

You can amend your tax returns for those years and paper file. You will then get a letter from the IRS asking you to prove the child lives with you full time. Doctors office visits, leases, etc will all prove that she lives with you. They will ask him for the same proof, and when he doesn’t provide it, they will award you a child tax credit for the year as well as any stimulus money for that year. I’m not sure what year you were filing for. If you are on Social Security, file to get Social Security for her as well as she’s your dependent. You definitely want a court order with child support, what if this guy wins the lottery or dies? You will automatically get Social Security for him or get a portion of his winnings for child support. I’m not sure About the laws in your state, but I’m pretty sure that they have a free advocate at the court that will help you to file the claims. Good luck to you

I agree with the comments. Maybe you could check into having his rights taken away, if he hasn’t seen her, hasn’t talk to her and helped support her. I live in Michigan. I did some checking to see about those things in the State of Michigan because my son’s father (sperm donor) hasn’t seen my son since he was three years old just before he turned four years old, my son is now seven years old. He’s supposed to have supervised visits and pay three dollars a month which they consider child support but also consider it to be medical only get money when he pays. My son first met and saw his grandma ( father’s mother - sperm donor) when he was three years old never saw his grandma after that because when my son was five years old his grandma passed away, I wasn’t told that she was in a nursing home and found out from my aunt that she passed away because my aunt saw a post that my son’s grandma’s daughter put on Facebook about my son’s grandma. He doesn’t send or get my son birthday cards, birthday presents or anything for any holidays last time he got my son any Christmas gifts was the very first visit and then when Easter came a basket of stuff for Easter, I think my son was 1 or 2. My mom asked me if I was going to have my son send him a card for Father’s Day and I said no because he don’t care enough to get my son anything for his birthday or any holidays so why should I or would I send him a card. The state of Michigan may consider him to be my son’s father but to me he is a sperm donor because a father would help with the child or children. I’m having my lawyer check into having his rights taken away. He was in the hospital because apparently he was in a bad car accident and my mom commented on the post where one of his friends was asking for prayers for him then he commented back to my mom asking her to bring my son to see him, she told him that she would ask me. I told my mom that I wasn’t taking my son to the hospital.

You got more than some people get. Child support enforcement can order support, but they can’t make him get a job.
Once there’s an order and he falls x-amount behind he can be arrested.
PS… never give SS#s to anyone.
Good luck

2 Likes

I would re-word that as you are not taking him that implies a bad thing or a vindictive act, advocating for your child and obtaining the proper support is not a act of vengeance or " taking" anyone for anything its simply seeing that the child you both created is having thier needs met . Goodluck

2 Likes

You can get him for the tax fraud also kinda messed up that the money he sent didn’t go to what she needs also 2 k is a lot more then most people get in a life time for there child. He still paid being homeless and drinking I think that’s alot better then most people do.

8 Likes

If he has no income and lives out of his car you will probably never see a dime. If he claimed her for the purpose to income tax you should report that. Its worth a try for CS but if he is that unstable then honestly he would probably rather maintain his lifestyle then get a job and have his wages garnished.

3 Likes

When I took my ex for child support. They based it on minimum wage and gave him 30 days to find a job. Since EVERYWHERE is hiring right now, he shouldn’t have a problem finding one… My ex just quit his job every 30-60 days though so he never actually paid.

3 Likes

File C’s they will make him pay the minimum until he fine work .

2 Likes

As far as filing for child credit on tax returns you could turn him in for tax fraud.

3 Likes

File ur taxes as quickly as possible every year! Without a court order he can claim her but without proof she lives with him, it is tax fraud to use her as such. They can atleast flag his acct so if he tries to file again claiming her they can hold it and research it.

Just never depend on it as he may just stop paying (even with consequences)

1 Like

Ugh…… once you get the courts involved it’s out of your hands anymore. Just to mention, he might file for visitation now, or even custody to avoid cs. Best advice, personally, is to drop the cs and just cut him off and out of your guys lives. You’ve been doin alone this long, so :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

If you are on social security and she gets a check under you then they will not let you get child support from him for her. Sounds crazy but its true.

Do you want to share custody, holidays and summer vacations? You might have to do that I’m thinking visitation rights may come into play.

2 Likes

Just fill out the application online. They will send you forms in the mail and him forms in the mail.

1 Like

IF he is truly homeless…forget it. IF not, why haven’t you already gone after him for the support.

So youre telling me youre trying to take a homeless man for child support when hes also an alcoholic. Because he cant pay it theyll take him to jail. Do you want that to come out of the wash one day that you were the reason her dad went jail over that shit?? Why dont you try to get him some HELP. My mom was an alcoholic most of my life and homeless for three years and i wouldnt hate my dad so much if he tried a little harder to get her help so i couldve had her in my life. Thats fucked up yo.

Claim her on your taxes & if he does, he will have to pay it all back. But i am surprised he even has anything since he is living in his car. And you can try to get him to pay child support, but if he has nothing, you are not going to get anything.

2 Likes

Definitely go for child support if he doesn’t play they will put him in jailand get him off the street

1 Like

Child support for 2 kids, I get $17 a fortnight and just over $300 a year.

1 Like

If yu are on disability, the child should get a monthly income from the Government also. check it out. as far as he is concerned, cut your losses after filing for CS just so it;s on the books so if he wins a lottery or inherits any money, the state should step in and take it for cs.

My experience is if he doesn’t want to work, pay, or contribute then your sol. My ex would rather live in jail than work and pay child support. Your a single mom now and can pursue cs but you best plan to survive without it

They’ll base it on minimum wage and they can put him thru programs to find a job and fatherhood classes. It may better him as a person honestly so I’d do it.

Go after for child support Eben if you don’t ever see it. In state of Georgia a child born out of wedlock has to be legitimize for the other parent to have rights. He would have to pay to have legitimize in order to start visitation and so on. Child support based on minimum wage of each parent if not working and each contributes 50/50

Am I the only person wondering what type of person is trying to get money out of a homeless, jobless man? Like seriously what money can he even have to give. Living out of a car means no address and moving around a lot, so how can they even find him to order him to pay? I stay with the he’s homeless comment? Seriously are you going to Rob all the pennies he collects on the streets from him? Like is that the plan? Wtaf

9 Likes