I can't take it anymore, I need help!

Put a pillow under his head and leave

Protect him from injury as much as you can and have him evaluated for autism spectrum. Once evaluated they maybe able to offer more helpful suggestions. (My son did this til 2 yrs old then stopped…not sure why)

Speech therapy! It will help your child learn how to communicate their needs without screaming and crying because they don’t know how to communicate. And my son is autistic (diagnosed at 22 months old now 4) and doesn’t head bang because he is non verbal but my daughter who isn’t diagnosed autistic and many therapists don’t think she is - she has speech delays but head bangs because she’s mad she can’t communicate.

Doesn’t hurt to go in for an evaluation though! I encourage it, I just don’t want everyone to assume all kids who head bang are autistic because anybody can head bang from frustration.

I will say, I’d steer clear from Behavorial therapy (ABA therapy) that was recommended in the comments, many people including myself find it very abusive (it was created by the same man who helped create gay conversion therapy). Many people will disagree and say it helps their child when in reality it’s to “fix” their child and to fix their behaviors that just need understanding.

Occupational therapists may be able to help as well. Introduce sign language or an AAC device. My private messages are open if you need to talk! My daughter is the exact same way, strong willed. She has bruises often on her head from head banging the floor, poor girl! You might even be able to try a helmet for head banging. I would look for a new doctor if possible that is more understanding of your child, because ignoring a child who likely needs EXTRA help and support isn’t going to help in the long run besides them feeling like they’ve given up. At 1 1/2 they’re still babies and very much need us and have so many emotions when they can’t communicate their needs. :heart:

4 Likes

My 9 year old would do this and his doctor said it’s common and he’d outgrow it, and he has. We were all really concerned he would hurt himself but he never did. He’s fine now. My 16 year old son was diagnosed with autism at 6 and he never did this.

1 Like

My son did this. The turn and walk away method works. Negative attention is still attention. Once he learns this behavior renders no response it may stop. If he’s autistic it may be a form of stimming. My son was diagnosed with autism. I know you can’t just simply walk away when your child is hurting themselves. Put a helmet on him. And then ignore the behavior when he does it. I agree with those suggesting speech therapy. Helped my son so much. Your baby is probably frustrated with communication issue. My son only said a few single words till he was 4.

My soon to be two year old does the same exact thing. I try so hard to do everything like ignore, being stern, block the behavior before it happens, give him extra love when I see it coming,
My son doesn’t scream though, but he does hit his head. It can be overwhelming!

This sounds like my 2 year old who has autism. Ask for a referral to a behavioral therapist and a neurologist. :heart:

2 Likes

Put a helmet on him for now and try and calmly talk to him before any activity. Start teaching him some sign language if he can’t verbally talk. Get some pictures of different emotions and go thru with them so he can point and tell you how he feels. There is always a reason why they headbutt/ scream/ shout/ playup. Just stay Calm

3 Likes

My daughter did this until she broke her nose, she did it 1 time after that

1 Like

My oldest son did this at this age, it’s a sign of autism. He’s 12 now. Talk to your doc about it. If he ignores your concerns, find another one that will listen to you.

2 Likes

Speech and developmental therapy, they will come and evaluate him if he needs it. You’re doing great mama no need to be in any mom guilt ,be proud of yourself and take care of yourself too. ‘You can’t pour from an empty pitcher’ ,it’s hard but try to relax and figure something out instead of stressing yourself… good luck

2 Likes

My son does this to he’s three he get so angry over little stuff to like while he playing with something not doing exactly what he wants he gets bad and throws or hit it and bangs his head to

Get behavioral therapist

Talk to health visitor about every thing there not judge there help x

Walk away!!! It hurts to do it but the more you react the more he will do it! It’s attention! Even Meagan I’ve attention is what he is seeking. Flip the situation start giving him tons of positive attention when he does something right. Let him help you and make positive situations for him. Little things like pick this up or bring this to mommy and give lots and lots of praise. Then when he does the negative stuff ignore ignore ignore. He will get the idea super quick. It really does work. Even the pinching. It may get worse before it gets better but it really does work.

1 Like

Also make sure he is hitting his milestones with developing and speech. Use sign language to help curb frustration. Also use show me as a means to get him to communicate what his wants and needs are if you can’t figure out what he is needing. Show me was huge. If he is hungry show me… he can lead you to food… cold… show me will lead you to a jacket… show me can lead you to a tv if he wants a show to watch. It saved my butt with my son who has a speech disorder. Good luck mama

Honestly, your pediatrician is right. When they’re acting like that you really need to walk away and ignore them. They see what gets them attention (good or bad) and will continue to do whatever gets them attention. When he’s behaving give him lots of good attention.

1 Like

My 16 month old sometimes screams a lot too as her form of “communication”. A few wks ago though, it happen more often than usual along with fussiness to the point it gave me headaches. We then noticed she had her gums very swollen from new back teeth coming out. I started giving her tylenol for pain she might have. She sometimes even had the screaming in the middle of the night. Maybe you can take him to the dentist. Hes about the same age as my daughter where they still having new teeth coming. Blessings to you, I hope your baby’s situation improves. I truly understand your emotional exhaustion.:heart:

3 Likes

He sounds frustrated because he can’t get across what he wants to say mine son was the same he’s 2 and half now and is having some speech therapy which he started around 6 weeks ago but it was his teacher who suggested he have some as he was speaking but couldn’t say words properly and was hard understanding and wen I couldn’t understand he would slap my leg scream or hit things or throw toys and cry or just one or the other or all at the same time and he’s come on leaps and bounds now from having it and his frustration levels are amazing now and it’s so lovly being around him and he’s less stressed because I can understand him honestly it’s made a huge difference to us within 3 weeks I noticed a changed homestly just rem it’s hot his fault and he can’t express his self properly at the moment so it’s helping him find a better way until he can and being more patient and understanding just also make sure he’s got lots of cushions around him so he can’t hurt his self and a drum he can bang and make loads of noise with or even saucepans sometimes the best thing you can do is pick them up and cuddle them and say it’s okey i would highly reccomend speech therapy

My oldest son used to bang his head on the floor, walls, anything and not even when he was angry just out of habit. One day he did it too hard and hurt himself and he never did it again

My 22 month old son talks THE MOST, I’m not kidding you, he learns at least 20 new words a day. Still does this shit, I just walk away from him. It’s really deterred the behavior, now he only does it like once a week tops. Once I stopped reacting, he stopped doing it.

Ignore the people saying to walk away. This behavior is a common early symptom of autism. It is also seen in children with developmental disabilities. This needs to be evaluated asap.

14 Likes

Teach him sign. My son(s) didn’t speak until they were about 3, teaching them sign will help them communicate when they are non verbal. He could just be frustrated from lack of being understood.

1 Like

Going through the same thing ! Some days is wears me so thin ! Good luck momma :purple_heart: I just keep saying its jist a phase it will pass ! Hopefully soon lol

My daughter has a iep she did not start talking until she was 4 she was in school at 2 and half now she almost 6 and she can’t stop talking once the kid starts talking she dont shut up but it’s was hard because she get frustrated because she was not talking I thankful those days are over

My daughter did that too, she was in foster care at that time, the worker told me to keep a play pen or pack n play set up, the second she starts put her in it and walk away can’t hurt herself N don’t get attention from it

My son used to do this he has autism it was sensory overload & he couldn’t communicate very well. I know the feeling I used to be so scared it did stop eventually but I used to chase him round and try put a pillow down so he wouldn’t hurt himself once I stopped so did the head banging. I also noticed sometimes when he would do it he would make sure I was looking so it started as a sensory thing but turned into him doing it for attention to he knew my reaction x

1 Like

My daughter did this and is now a college student with As and Bs

My son use to that also. He still did it at age 6 bang his head when he got angry so now he sees a social worker at school on better ways to express his anger. Hang in there mamma. Maybe learn some sign language on how to communicate better. Like please and more if he wants more to eat. It’s easy to learn

Every time he does this, put him in time out

You definitely need to be careful when he does it to you immediately put him down, say you aren’t allowed to hurt Mommy or I can’t hold you. If the issue is that he is trying to get down when he can’t, turn him around so he can’t hurt you.

1 Like

my daughter did the same thing. from 8 months to about 2 years old. it was awful. we used to stop her in the middle of the head banging and it would make her mad even more. baths would calm her and she used to take 7 or 8 during the day cause that was the only time she was happy. she is now a well adjusted 7 year old that is very articulate and smart for her age. stay the course momma!

My daughter did this too and it is very scary. All you can do is intervene when it seems really bad or ignore it. Hang in there momma!!!

Take your child to A different pediatrician! There is absolutely a problem. You are your Child’s advocate, insist upon the Dr doing test, send him for text, whatever it takes until you have answers. Your child is screaming for help, help him.
Good luck and God bless.

3 Likes

My eldest was the same. Always banging his head throwing a paddy he grew out of it by the time he started school. It may just be a phase. It’s scary and horrible to watch but not much you can do other than try to stop them which I found made him worse. Hope it’s just a phase and you get through it xx

Barbara Katon didn’t Jason do that too ? :thinking:

It’s best to have an evaluation done on your son also teaching him sign language will be helpful for you both so he can say what he wants and once he does start talking knowing sign language is a useful skill

My son would bang his head on the wall n grunt​:flushed: that boy :person_facepalming:he will grow out of it. People thought he was autistic. He’s not. He’s grown up into a patient ,smart,loving husband and father. Just let him work himself through his frustration. And for you, when it gets too overwhelming, step back and take a few breaths it will get better.

You really need to work on yourself that child needs his momma. So when my son did that I would put my hand in between him and said object or floor. All kids seem to do that and sometimes you got to walk away. He can’t see you get upset so put yourself in a timeout calm down so you can handle the situation at hand. They just trying to figure life out

Sounds sensory , your Dr should have addressed this. I think I would find a different pediatrician and have it looked into.

1 Like

My son did this at the exact same age, he grew out of it and I’m hoping yours will too

1 Like

I would get a toddler playpen and either put an inflatable baby pool in there or tons of pillows so when he does it you can put him in there and he will be able to bang his head to his heart’s content while being safe. It acts as a time out and gives you the ability to “ignore” him and take a break while knowing he is safe, he will stop eventually when he’s no longer getting a reaction from you.

4 Likes

You should probably find an early intervention program near you and get him on a family plan asap

My youngest did this! I would try to correct it at first but he would continue to bang his head when he realized he was getting attention so I started to ignore it. He didn’t continue it much longer after

1 Like

It’s a way of him getting his anger out. Kids don’t have a way to process their emotions internally so it usually turns into something physical. He’s angry and doesn’t understand the emotion and does what his body feels it should. He’s still young but you need to talk him through it. You have to show him ways to get his anger out that won’t hurt him, like hitting a pillow. The most important thing though is that you try to remain calm because he can pick up on whatever you’re feeling and it could escalate his feelings

1 Like

Get You a switch off a bush in Your yard or some woods and wear his little butt out. Works Everytime. The Bible says spare the rod spoil the child. You don’t have to beat him but a little ass woopin has changed plenty of kids minds.

Headbutting is a sign of autism, please have him evaluated and figure out how to correct this behavior before it escalates. I have a 10 yr old autistic daughter and we are still struggling with headbutting, she’s been doing it since she was 10 months old, it was one of the first signs something was off. But the lack of speech is another sign of autism. Early intervention makes all the difference, my daughters dr when she was a toddler totally missed that she is severely autistic.

1 Like

You need a different doctor.

My son also did this at that age. I was so concerned I took him to the doctor. They said keep him away from concrete and he will grow out of it. He did! It lasted about 8 months. My daughter never did that

Have you had him checked for autism ?

3 Likes

i would find a new doctor and have him evaluated… head butting and lack of speech are both signs of autism. early intervention makes all the difference. for all you know it could just be a phase but i would still have him evaluated to be sure.

3 Likes

My 2 year old tried those tantrums on me not to long ago. I swear it hurts us more than it does them. However, I let him do it, then when he was done, I said see you aren’t hurting anyone but yourself and made him sit in time out for a few minutes and he didn’t get whatever it was he was wanting. He hasn’t has any of those tantrums lately. Knock on wood. Also he wasn’t talking much yet when he turned to but he has a very long list of words now.

2 Likes

I would make him wear a helmet first off. You definitely don’t want him to bang his head so hard he has to go to ER and then have them see it as abuse and report you for his behavior. CPS Loves cases like this where abuse can’t be disproved. Could be a potential nightmare. As for the screaming… When he starts in get on his level hold him by his shoulders look him in the eye and tell him NO!! use your words. He knows more words than he is letting on. Also he is not to early for time outs and time in the corner. This is gonna be a battle but you will win when he figures out that EVERYTIME he acts out his is gonna be punished. Most important thing though is get him in a helmet, so when he starts banging his head it is not going to hurt him. And when he does something good like listens to you when you tell him NO, praise him… Don’t give treats, but say things to him Like “good boy” and hug him…

Id say get him checked out to be safe…i have 3 kids and never dealt with that at that age…my oldest son has adhd and im recently thinking undiagnosed odd…which got worse as he got older…and resorts to this kind of behavior…Im seeing it as he dont know how to express himself in any another way and resorts to anger and sometimes violence…have him checked just be on the safe side. Its better to catch these things early and get them the help they need…but we also have be careful about prescribed meds, half the time they dont even know what the prob is n go from med to med like they just guessing and hoping it works…which can have a harmful toll a developing mind and body…good luck to ya…I hope you find the help you need…it can be so tough…

I have the unpopular opinion here, I’m sure. But do as the pediatrician suggested. Correct him and walk away. My sister kept a bruise on her head when she was little from banging her head on the floor when she threw tantrums. She’s now 34 and perfectly fine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I appreciate your strength in coming forward. I can see that this has been a difficult process for you. I am here to validate and normalize your feelings and say that you are doing a wonderful job! Parenting can be difficult, especially with children that are non verbal and have violent tendencies. As a Mother myself, and a second year Social Service Worker Student. I have come to be educated on different resources that can be helpful to clients, and for everyday situations such as your personal story. I first would recommend taking your child to a different Doctor, such a Pediatrician. One that works from a strengths based perspective. Your child needs to have a positive environment where they can feel comfortable expressing their emotions and know that it’s okay to feel these things. On the other hand we need to know that hurting people is his way of communicating that he simply does not have any other coping mechanisms in place as of yet, he will! Stay strong Mama! The “faces” game is a great way for your child to connect with their emotions. This is a great game that can be fun but also educational for your toddler. When your child is crying, or feeling angry, or even happy. (I like to use this game when my daughter when she is sad, it changes her mood into something positive) I simply start making a face and connecting it with how I feel! We play back and forth. This helps kids to regulate and normalize emotions. Also your child can have a feeling of playful understanding. Acting the game is out is great, or you can also use a chart and have your child point to how they are feeling. Talk it out, have understanding and compassion for your child. Use positive words of reinforcement but also, know that this phase will pass and to know that hitting is not okay, do not reward bad behaviour but instead focus on their strengths and have an outlet for your child for when they are in a crisis state. I hope this helps. You are a powerful mama and I just want you say you are doing a great job! :heart::pray:t3:

2 Likes

My second child did something similar. Just not head banging. She has a speech delay. Have you done the autism spectrum survey at 18month appointments ? If not I’d ask about that and bring up speech at the 18 month app. My daughter is doing ALOT better after about 6 + months of speech. She still gets frustrated but atleast can communicate better then before.

1 Like

My son did this exact thing. By 18 months I had him in therapy. They explained the frustration they can’t communicate resulting in his behavior. He would look like I beat him all bruised from hanging his head and stuff. So. They taught him and I to communicate. We started at 18 months simple sign language… I was to make him communicate and not reward screaming. Even if it was him pointing. Get some help you both deserve it

Put a helmet on him every day. :slightly_smiling_face: and let him know he has to wear it cause he tries to hurt himself.
Not speaking much at 1&1/2 is not uncommon. And I bet he understands you.

My son used to do this too. One time he knocked himself senseless and never did it again. Maybe get a helmet till he grows out of it

I would have him checked for autism he’s showing signs of it they have autism specialists look them up and good luck :four_leaf_clover::pray:t2:

3 Likes

Honestly these are all quite normal, he is trying to figure out how to communicate. The dr is right, ignore it and he will ed eventually stop. Its not always a sign of something else.

3 Likes

Has he been checked for Autism? Just a suggestion amd maybe get a referral for a speech eval

3 Likes

His behavior sounds identical to my sons behavior at that age and my son is high functioning autistic , get him evaluated by an expert for autism. I am always available to chat if you ever need or want to vent

5 Likes

My daughter is autistic and does this exact same thing sadly. Do not ignore it worse thing you can do as they will not stop. Instead sit on the floor sit there with him put his head into your lap or his whole body hold him and talk to him until he calms down. I’ve been kicked and everything else cause I do this with my daughter and I’m pregnant. And we have a set schedule along with a sit n spin that we do sensory time with as that’s what helps majorly when she has been overstimulated.

My 1 1/2 year old grandson does the same thing. Just because. My little brother did too. Dr’s say to just ignore it. When he starts banging his head put a pillow under head so he don’t hurt himself

I would get a second opinion from a different doctor it sounds like he has possibly some type of autism I have most of the children in my family with one form or another from high functioning to low functioning definitely get him evaluated early so you can help him early sending prayers for you and your child

1 Like

Poor baby… He sounds like he’s very frustrated at not being able to communicate his wants and needs. :worried:

1 Like

Both my boys did the head banging…I yes ignored it but I got them a special object to hand bang…when they were mad or upset which is very normal and react which is normal that they shouldn’t hurt themselves or someone else so I got them a bean bag chair…an told them to go for it and let it out…my oldest had screaming issues so he got a special screaming pillow…when he felt like screaming his frustration out …he got his pillow and would scream his little heart out…they are both find now and great and being older and more understanding of course don’t act like that but iv let them know that emotions are real we all have them and at there age they know what helps release it …so I found ways that helped…my two boys also like hitting thing kicking things and throwing things so I got a small punching bag and they got to beat it up when they needed to…it gave them a chance to be told they weren’t wrong for feelings but that they needed to properly handle it…as they got older they were able to understand more and more on controlling or re directing there emotional break downs into better ways…yes communication is an issue but his aggravated upset self is how he feels and shouldn’t be told he is wrong…feelings are real just because he is small or young doesn’t mean he doesn’t have them he just needs to be re directed on how to take it out…boys often like the physical or verbal release…so find alternative…he likes to head band…get a bean bad chair…a big ball of comfiness and when he needs to tell him to get his chair…and let it out …he likes to scream let him go pick out his screaming pillow and when he wants to scream…to scream into the pillow…and when ( I’m pretty sure he will most boys do) get into kicking or hitting things when he is mad give him something he can take it out on that’s not destructive or going to hurt him or something in the home…that way he can see that you understand his feelings and will work with him…not get mad and make him be in trouble for very normal very common feelings that everyone daily experience…as he grows…you can learn to do the same and teach him how to direct his anger or aggressive or whatever it may be…and some are saying autistic is the issue but neither of my boys are…they do have ADHD but that’s it…but just because he has feelings and is expressing them the way he feels is ok doesn’t make him autistic or wrong…it honestly makes him human…it’s your job to help him direct and handle those emotions and feelings in a better less destructive way …ever personally feel like smacking the hell outta someone for whatever reason but you know not too or going off on someone…or crying or screaming in aggravation of someone or something…well a toddler doesn’t…so let him positively get it out now and as he grows and learns also let him express his emotions in a way he knows but in a way that’s not damaging to him or something else physically…as he grows and you understand your child has feelings and that he isn’t wrong or something is wrong with HIM for having some feelings and help him find a way to let them out he will be more willing to learn more ways as he grows…my kids have and they don’t act like they did at 2 and 3 my oldest stomps his feet some and may huff at me but they know what emotions are and they are learning how to handle and express them to function in adulthood without a murder charge,or mental institution for self harm or jail time for flipping on someone…they know I understand feelings and that they have them and I can’t tell them they are wrong or in trouble for feeling things…they know I will work to find a better way to let it out

:heart::heart::heart::heart:Same! We had every test under the sun run on my son too! Hearing, ultrasounds for his belly, speech therapy, the whole 9 yards. My son is fine it just turns out he is a high maintenance child :joy::joy::joy: and apparently his strong will is a wonderful quality for a developing strong independent young man. I thought for sure he had ADHD or some behavioral issue but that’s not the case for us lol we just have hit the toddler season hard!!! Much love and light to you momma :heart::heart::heart::heart:

He could possibly be on the autism spectrum. I would recommend that you take him to a specialist.

2 Likes

Look for non verbal ways to get him to talk and never get angry back at him. It will only escalate his emotions and make it worse. Try to get on his level and explain in a way he would understand, that banging his head is going to hurt him and do a time out. When his time is up, explain why he went to time out and that’s where he will go every time he bangs his head. Time outs worked wonders for my daughter, she is now 9 and a very well behaved little girl. It’s hard to stay consistent, but it is key for time out. One time she ran from time out for an hour straight but I kept just getting up and putting her back in and she finally got the hint. Once he knows you’re serious, maybe things will change. Best of luck to you momma🥰

Try looking i to baby sign language to help him communicate. You can find simple words on YouTube.

He is showing intense frustration. Sit down and do some serious loving. He needs some TLC and positive attention and when he starts to do that kneel down on his level and take him into your arms and give him love I think that will eventually stop

1 Like

Get him check for autism. My son used to do this (still does at 5½)

2 Likes

Get him checked for autism. My son was doing the same thing at that age and he got diagnosed with autism

1 Like

Call early invention in your county or state. My son did this from the time he could move around good. Later diagnosed severe developmental disability, also Austism spectrum.

1 Like

My oldest daughter would slam her head and honestly after a while i would just ask her how did that feel? And she would cry more and then stop. I think it was for more attention when being told no. She grew out of it …
On then other more cautious hand , I would watch if it doesn’t subside or get better , with the combination of not speaking , hitting and screaming could be signs of autism…

So, I didn’t read all the responses I read several recommendations for having your son checked for Autism. Let me say this as a father if an Autistic child. All information is good information. Even if it’s to rule out the possibility of something. Getting him checked would give you good information. Ask your doctor for a referral to a behavioral specialist (pediatric psychiatrist/psychologist). My biggest piece of advice, you are your son’s greatest advocate. If your Doctor won’t give you a referral, Find a Doctor that will work with you to help advocate for your child. Behavioral Health is just as important as treating bumps/ bruises and sniffles. Best of luck.

6 Likes

Going through that right now shes almost 2

My son did this when he was 2 almost 3…we would always pick him up or hold his head so he wouldn’t hurt himself…I finally went to his pediatrician and she told me to just walk away and not give him a reaction. She said all he wants is the reaction…soon as we did that, he stopped banging his head.

2 Likes

Take a breath.
First and foremost, if your child is neurotypical this is mostly the correct advice. Toddlers will tantrum harder the more attention you pay to it. The less attention you pay they’ll work to find better ways to communicate with you.
It’s not instantaneous. It takes a bit…but it does work.
Even neuro-diverse children can and do respond to this.
I did this with my oldest (he is neuro-diverse). I only did a couple things differently.
I’d talk to myself out loud and say something like “I wish (child’s name) would calm down so we can talk” or “I don’t understand (child’s name) until he stops (behavior)”

My only concern is that from what you’ve described…your child may not be neurotypical. And that tactic may not work depending on him. It doesn’t always work with my youngest.
For my youngest I do ignore the screaming. And if he gets aggressive with me I do walk away. But…I let him crawl on my lap. I just don’t respond respond until he calms down a bit.
During the worst of either of their meltdowns (not just tantrums) deep pressure is the best thing.
I’ve got two weighted blankets around the house and they’re strictly reserved for meltdowns that cannot be calmed either way.

My suggestions here are this:

1. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure that physical needs are not fueling his behavior. If he’s overtired, hungry, thirsty, bored…ECT then his behavior is absolutely going to be worse. That’s typically true for any child.

2. Listen to the doctor as much as you can while allowing your kid to be safe. If he starts banging is head…put a pillow down in the place he’s banging his head and walk away. You’re allowing him to be safe without fueling the behaviors farther.

3. Give him alternatives to communicate. We used pictures (printed) of things he frequently wanted or needed to help my youngest communicate with less frustration.

4. Keep a journal of your child’s behavior. What the behavior is and what triggered it and what you did for it.
    Normally I’d suggest and evaluation for autism, but at not yet 2, doctors are extremely reluctant to evaluate and diagnose things like autism because typical toddler behavior can and does overlap symptoms.
    But recording them can help you as well as the doctor really get an overall perspective.

1 Like

My son uses to do this. My son does not have autism either like some of these comments say. I asked his Dr he said to ignore him & just make sure hes in an area where he can hurt himself. Like away from table edges etc. My son was in that phase for what seems like forever but he doesnt do it anymore. Thank God. Just keep pushing through. I would ignore my son. His Dr said hes just doing it for attention when he doesnt get his way to make me feel bad. I wouldnt baby him after he hurt himself either.

1 Like

Could be “absent” epileptic seizures or autism.

I watched a little boy for a month he was 2 and had turned 3 a week before his dad took him out of my care because his dad couldn’t handle him banging his head on everything, screaming and teaching younger kids bad habits from the sitter he was at before me, he was the only child I watched. He would scream and bang his head into our front door or our picture window. I put really soft items on the spots he would have fits. I was informed he was autistic before I agreed to watch him. I’m not sure if his dad has him at another sitter or had to quit his job.

Find a new doctor and get him evaluated.

1 Like

Get him checked for migraines! Some babies when they get mad, get headaches, and in turn take out their frustration and try to ease their pain by headbutting hard surfaces. Best of luck to you momma. Youve got this

Dont spank him … I would walk away n let him throw his fit . He will outgrow it , kids are kids … I’m not sure there are answers sometimes.

1 Like

My son did this and was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3. It was a godsend he’s worked worth behavioral specialists, occupational therapy, speech therapy, so many resources of help opened up after we found it out.

6 Likes

You should have him evaluated for autism

3 Likes

I’m here to say I’m so sorry. I can only imagine how you’re feeling but please know you’re not alone. I haven’t read other responses but I would say it’s time to find a new doctor, even if its within the same practice. I personally would not ignore, especially if he’s injuring himself. But when you engage, be careful to not reinforce what he’s doing. Be calm, talk to him. Big Little Feelings is an excellent resource. Separately, have you considered some sign language? I have seen it help kids communicate when they don’t have the words or struggle with the emotion. If you need someone to talk to, please message me.

I work with special needs kids. I have noticed with the kids if they can’t communicate what is wrong they tend to bang their head in frustration. One kid I know that is non verbal would bang his head out of frustration until he was taught some sign language. Now grant you his sign language isn’t normal ASL. He is almost 3. Once he was able to communicate the head banging has become minimal. However, being clear what isn’t acceptable needs to be expressed as well.

Say no the first time. The next time walk away but where you can still keep an eye on him. It’s called Respond Not React. Any attention, even negative, is attention. Remove your attention and the behavior stops. Everyone must be consistent in removing their attention even siblings. My son bit and banged his head at that age and this method stopped it pretty quickly.

1 Like

My son did this for a long time, ignoring him didn’t work, correcting him made it worse. What I had to do to get it to stop was move him to a safer place (he had the foam jigsaw alphabet I put down in a corner or a pillow) and let him headbutt that while I sat on the floor next to him until he was finished. I would sing softly or just talk to myself until the end. If I talked to him it would make it worse. In the beginning he would do it for several minutes at a time but it slowed after a few weeks of doing this an eventually stopped. He’s 5 now and still occasionally does when he’s really frustrated. After the incident I had a piece of paper with pictures of the things he wanted most such as certain foods, water, juice, outside, puzzles, and a bathtub. Once he figured out he could communicate with me a little better he didn’t get as frustrated

You didn’t say anything about the environment he lives in , children are their environment. This is most cases but if your doing everything your supposed to for him then just keep correcting him , positive reinforcement example he wants a popsicles late at night instead you can tell him you can have a banana instead and make the other option seem more exciting then what he wanted . It’s hard dealing with kids with behavioral problems but they’re not trying to make your life hard they just don’t know how to handle their own emotions so that’s where we as adults need to guide them

Get his hearing checked

1 Like

My oldest has a speech delay. He would yell and scream especially if I didn’t understand what he was trying to tell me especially around that age. Ignoring the headbanging was what worked best with him. If i was paying him attention then he would do it even harder. It stopped after a month or two. We got him into speech therapy and then into occupational therapy and was diagnosed with sensory process disorder. OT helped A LOT. He’s 5 now and he’s a super well behaved little boy.

My daughter did this and knocked her front tooth out. Then her permanent one came in rotten.

He needs to be evaluated

2 Likes

My son did this for 5 months once you stop giving it attention it will stop