I caught my nephew watching me change my daughter: Advice?

If you don’t feel right about suffering then it’s your responsibility to make ABSOLUTELY SURE your daughter is NEVER ALONE WITH HIM. He’s just a kid and I’d bet he’s just curious but as a mother of a sexual assault survivor and 1 myself IF YOU FEEL FUNNY THEN TRUST YOUR GUT! You never, ever blow that shit off cause take it from me, on the off chance something does end up happening… you’ll never forgive yourself! It’s just not possible as a mother and idc what anyone else tells you, it’s been over 6 years for us and I still hate myself for what happened. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT! It’s speaking for a reason and I’d take over protective over sorry any damn day!

Just see what he wants. He might just be curious on what’s going on. Maybe he wants to learn idk

1 Like

Hes a 10 year old boy and should already know private parts and privacy…no reason for him to be learning how to change her or watching her be changed

4 Likes

Children can abuse other children always be vigilant and notice this stuff and protect your children this oh it’s no big deal is why bad stuff happens

12 Likes

Yes Cheryl lee i think he just wants too talk n enage in talking n your so hands on he just wants some attention n he sees u doing this with your girls … watch how much attention his mother gives him then maybe see what happens

How old is his sister maybe he helps his parents change his sisters diapers and thought you might need help with getting out baby wipes or throwing it away

3 Likes

I’ve experienced this. I said “what’s up bud” he said… “if girls don’t have penises do they pee and poop out of their butthole. Because that’s gross” he was 8 and super curious. I said “nope she’s just got a different kind of peepee.” He shrugged laughed at himself for thinking girls only have a butt and then left the room and never just stood around again.

7 Likes

I can’t believe there are women on here calling this mother disgusting. She doesn’t know how to react, she’s acting for advice and above all, she’s being mindful and cautious… two things you NEED to be as a mother! Did you know that most sexual abuse happens within family? It can happen young; I’ve heard of it and experienced it myself. To the anonymous mama, PLEASE disregard those who dismiss these behaviours because that’s simply negligent. Listen to your intuition and be proactive. Close the door or ask him for some privacy because she’s in the midst of changing. See how he responds. He could very well be innocently curious and wondering what you’re up to but it’s still important to take measures and practice what’s appropriate. I wouldn’t want my 10 year old cousin watching me change as a little girl.

18 Likes

Stay close to those Mommy instincts! Never give anyone the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to your children

9 Likes

Why didn’t you tell him to leave? It’s up to you to protect her.

7 Likes

Would it be as big of a deal if he was a girl? He may just feel safe with her or just be curious! I used to do that at that age as well because I was always curious about what the adults were doing, I was insecure and shy so I followed people around, and I really liked kids! I was always the one wanting to watch the little kids and be around them because I was too shy to be around older kids. I would honestly just have a conversation with him in private about why he watches you while you’re changing your daughter! Go from there and if he doesn’t know or tells you something that his parents should know, then go to them! I also had a tendency to follow adults around when they had a small child with them because I was molested as a small child and I didn’t want that to happen to anybody else!

3 Likes

Hes probably curious.

3 Likes

I think it’s strange that grown adults can’t have an open discourse with children, especially family, but run to the internet for advice.

13 Likes

if he dose it again say do u mind just changing nappy can u get me a bag put her dirty nappy

Close the door then later ask him. I was changing diapers at 10. Don’t just assume the worst. Talk to him and ask.

1 Like

Id have slammed the door right then and there. Tell his parents and find a new place to live ASAP and keep your baby FAR AWAY from him

12 Likes

Maybe he is just curious, maybe next time just explain that this is a private time and that if there are any questions that he asks instead of watch.

3 Likes

Just say hey buddy can you give us some privacy. Or shut the door and say I’m changing her.

3 Likes

Ask him. If hes standing there…do u ignore him or talk to him?

1 Like

Yeah that’s weird…10, and it’s been twice, and he just creepily stands there? You should talk to his parents and your hubby.

4 Likes

He’s most likely just curious, but as a mom we also have to stay cautious. Next time he does it, I would just say “hey buddy, what’s up?” and just see what he says/he’s thinking.

3 Likes

So why haven’t you asked him why he does that? Is he curious?

3 Likes

I would’ve shut the door the first time it happened :flushed: and I would’ve definitely said something to the boy…

1 Like

Why not just ask? Or shut the door? Jeeze people act like every guy is a sexual predator. He could just be curious what you’re doing. If you’re that bothered by it shut the door or ask him to go away

11 Likes

Wtf with all these paranoid people? I changed my cousin at age 10. Why does everything have to be about abuse? Holy shit the mom was changing the child so it’s not like the kids was undressing the baby. 🤦

You are right to protect your daughter as far as her privacy goes. just say something to him, I wouldn’t let it go. Hes 10 and does not need to see a female’s genitals no matter what the age. it’s completely inappropriate and if hes curious his parents should be taking care of that.

3 Likes

Ask if he wants to help next time :tipping_hand_woman: how much does he know about the difference between boys and girls, talk with his parents maybe it’s a good time to educate him a little.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be okay with that . I would be furious! . He’s 10 , which puts him in the 5th grade. You have to protect your child so ask him what’s the deal

3 Likes

You can’t even talk to your own nephew. Wow.

3 Likes

This is my post

So, my nephew isnt related to me. He is my husbands step brothers step son so I’ve known him about a year give or take.

I wasnt accusing him of anything. I dont have sons so I dont know if this was a curiosity thing or what. I was asking advice.

My FIL already spoken to him about this before. He has a habit of walking in on people going to the bathroom or using the shower.

I’m not his mom so I’m not going to give him “this is what girls have this is what boys have”. He has an 11 year old sister so I’m sure he knows what girls have.

4 Likes

Have you confronted the kid?

Curious!!! Slow down…

2 Likes

Okay, i have to say he’s probably just curious BUT there are little weirdos as well. So just pay attention and keep an watchful eye. Better to be safe than sorry.

3 Likes

Ask him to leave that you need your privacy. Or confront him? Ask him if he needed any thing, If not ask him to leve cause you are busy. Very simple

1 Like

Would you have been as concerned if he were female and she were male?

5 Likes

Find your own place and tell the parents about his behavior. That is weird, watch your child closely

6 Likes

My daughter has two sets of twins 2 & 4 and a nine year old he’s used to watching the babies being changed. He probably don’t remember diapers and is curious. Just close the door when you go in there

3 Likes

Speak to him about his curiosity.

4 Likes

He’s probably curious. Teach him about boundaries and how we shouldn’t look at others changing. Then just make sure he’s not alone with your little ones. Always supervise.

4 Likes

It doesn’t sound creepy but stay intune with your instincts maybe it’s because you haven’t shared a home with other kids before this and your new to the situation, don’t make a big deal about it and if you do decide to discuss basic anatomy with him make sure you’re talking with one of his parents within earshot that way if there are any questions you are uncomfortable answering they can handle it.

1 Like

I run a creche and I can PROMISE you kids are OBSESSED with watching babies get changed :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:
All of them.
I let them if the baby is only a few months old but after that i believe children should have their privacy respected so i tell all my kids to go off and play as they aren’t allowed to watch.
Your daughter is definitely old enough to need and want privacy while being changed so i would just say to your nephew
“Off you go and play as *name” needs her privacy just like you do when you go to the toilet"
And he will stop coming t9 watch.
Going to say growing up i was OBSESSED with babies so i always followed any mum’s when they went to change their babies because I didn’t realise it was any different to watching them get fed etc :heartpulse::heartpulse:
Hope that makes you feel better.

6 Likes

I’ve got a six year old who watches me change my one month old diaper constantly just out of curiosity, and whenever I was a kid I know I took a shower and my brother came in and I was curious myself he didn’t realize I was actually in the shower at the time it doesn’t stop with age, you don’t know you’re going to be curious

1 Like

I wouldn’t think much about it, unless he’s all about wanting to change her etc… He’s 10 years old! Would you think any differently if it was a 10 year old girl? Maybe he feels comfortable with you! If it makes you feel uncomfortable then tell him, your going to change her to stay where hes at and your be right back.

1 Like

Grow the fuck up. Thats a child

1 Like

COMMUNICATION!!! Sex ed shouldn’t begin at school. Address it and overcome!

2 Likes

I dont think whats going through your mind would have gone through my mind had my nephew watched me change my daughter.

he may be curious about changing nappies as part of looking after babies.

Theres so many reasons…

I would have had a conversation with him rather than just have him stand there. Ask him to pass something or help in some way

I think this is being blown way out hes 10

Would you be like this if it was one of your siblings kids?

4 Likes

COMMUNICATION… just talk to him about it… close the door. Boys are very curious at this age. Have him help you… be good to kbiw how to change diapers.

Its a problem… IF YOU COMMUNICATED to him.

3 Likes

I think there definitely a level of curiosity to it…but ultimately if you are uncomfortable with it tell him to get his ass away.

Shut the door when you change her, and talk to him about his actions in a calm manner. If you express your wish for him to refrain, but he doesn’t, then it becomes a problem.

I think he’s curious what your doing our family’s kids always ask hey what are you doing when I change my son but she’s at the age of where she does need privacy

God bless your in-laws, I wouldn’t take everyone in…

4 Likes

At that age I would tend to think it’s probably nothing more than curiosity.

Honestly I
personally don’t see a big issue, just a curious kid.

1 Like

Talk to him. About anything. Maybe the living arrangements have him upset and he is waiting for u to make the first move. Dont think the worst of him without anything else to go on.

1 Like

Does he display any other weird behaviors or had a troubled life? If not, He’s probably just curious but you can never be too careful… I would shut the door or tell him to go play if it makes you uncomfortable… kids do weird and inappropriate things without even realizing what they are doing…

2 Likes

Meh! I think your reading more into it than necessary! My eldest son watched me change his sister and brother when they were babies! Just my opinion!

3 Likes

Take her in bedroom and shut your door

2 Likes

One day this little boy may become a father. Nurture him and help grow a caring man.

8 Likes

Instead of risking family drama of being said your accusing him of being a weirdo you should just change your daughter in the bathroom and just don’t leave them alone with this little boy. If you have a good relationship with the parents maybe tell them he’s doing it and it makes you uncomfortable so they can correct him themselves as to not cross any lines with them. But he a little boy it might possible be he’s never seen the opposite sexes parts and cant help but stare because he doesn’t understand why hers is different 🤷 you don’t want to jump to conclusions either. Good luck but protect your babies always!

1 Like

Confronting a 10 yr old is kinda silly & will cause problems you don’t need at this time. There is probably some curiosity. Ask him why he is standing ther watching? Is he curious? Open the door with questions & get to the bottom of this to ease your mind & keep the peace in that full house.

1 Like

He’s 10. It’s not often kids that age are malicious or dangerous. I think he’s just curious. Talk to him about it in a calm non accusatory way and see what he says. If he doesn’t feel threatened when you confront him about it, he’ll likely open up.

1 Like

I’d just ask him if he has questions. And if he says yes then direct him to his mother and explain to her what is going on. A 10 yr old should know the difference between a boy and a girl . No need to get creeped out. He may just be curious like you said. And if he is Mom and or Dad need to step up and have the talk with him.

Ummmm… I don’t see anything wrong with him watching you change your daughter. It’s actually normal🤷‍♀️

3 Likes

My step granddaughter wants to see her little sisters poo…

5 Likes

But i disagree with what ppl say here…u dont confront a child thats not yours EVER u talk 2 the parents and its their job 2 talk 2 him but when u speak 2 them dont make them think youre accusing him of anything. Just explain 2 them u like privacy when changing your girl and dont like boys around when doing so.

6 Likes

Ten isn’t 20. My ten year old son is my baby (as in my last) he definitely isn’t sexually mature and I’d flip if anyone tried to make him feel bad for supposedly"watching" you change your toddler. Do it in an uncommon area with the door closed. Of course kids are curious don’t make it weird.

6 Likes

Yeah we dont change my boyfriend’s son who is about to be 3 in the same room as my daughter who is about to be 7 and we are teaching them about privacy since I’m having another baby in a few weeks and both kids are used to being the only child.

1 Like

Completely age-appropriate curiosity.

6 Likes

Maybe this child wants too speak too you.Maybe he needs the love of a mother that he’s missing.

1 Like

Maybe just talk to him. Or his parents. Or both. Instead of consulting total strangers who know zero about you, your past, your family or this kid.

1 Like

This is the same person who makes up weird names for their kids genitalia :woman_facepalming:t3:

It sounds like she’s making something out of nothing! Kids do this! Kids are curious! SMDH🤦‍♀️

1 Like

I dont see the problem here … unless he’s trying to touch her inappropriately? If not ur overreacting… I have 2 girls… 2 years and 3 months and a 10 year old boy… these girls get changed in the living room 9 times out of 10 … and he will even change a diaper here and there if I’m in the middle of doing a bunch of stuff… he’s been shown the proper way to do it and of course will only do pee diapers no poop… ppl don’t give kids enough credit smh🤦‍♀️

1 Like

My niece was obsessed with watching me change my son whenever we would visit. She’s 7 yrs older. It’s curiosity. It isn’t like he’s touching her.

1 Like

I’m going to change her clothes and we need privacy. Close the door, end of story.

7 Likes

I caught my stepson watching on a few occasions too, while I would change my daughter’s diaper, when he was around the same age as your nephew. I understood it was curiosity, but it also made me feel very uneasy. I started to let him know that I was about to change his sisters’s diaper and he would need to leave the room while I did that… That rule went for any room I changed her in. After a few times of me telling him this, he must have gotten the hint because he would automatically just leave the room, the moment he saw I was getting ready to change her. It’s creepy behavior no doubt… but you must set the boundaries in place for him.

13 Likes

Jeez he’s probably just curious. Just say it’s not polite to watch, that these are private parts

1 Like

What the actual f is wrong with you ?

7 Likes

Theres nothing wrong with being overprotective :woman_facepalming:t2: kids abuse other kids. Go with your gut feeling.

12 Likes

Would it bother you if it was a 10 year old niece? Girls can be just as much predators as boy :woman_facepalming:t2: I think this was blown way out of the water. He likely forgot about anything that even happened as soon as it over. Relax, it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

What a load of b.s…he could of been there for many reasons he may have wanted to tell her something and got nervous he may have been watch you not the child …keep your child safe always a priority but don’t put your freak on to him or his parents

2 Likes

A child’s curiosity isn’t creepy… it’s what way you decide to paint it that will set the tone for the way a child reacts to the subject in the future… make it a positive and informative lesson … may not be your kid, but be careful how you address it… a good clinical explanation and an explanation of expected boundaries & that should be all there is to it…

3 Likes

I have two boys ages 7 and 8 and two girls ages 4 and 6. Curiosity is a thing for little boys. Mine have never been inappropriate. It was a matter of teaching them “a little bit of privacy is needed”. Making a big deal will only make it seem like he is being bad and thats not something you will want to do. He is a little boy, talk to his parents and tell him NICELY that its not polite to watch or that privacy is a good thing. You should have consulted his parents before having asked people on FB what to do as that is their child you kinda just made seem like a creep. Not cool

1 Like

I think you have to trust your mommy gut. Could be nothing or could be something. Ear mark it and if other red flags emerge and u see a pattern u can work from there.

Ultimately, trust your instinct. Supervision is key. Loads of it. I’ve had to deal with cousin issues and you can’t let your guard down.

6 Likes

This has GOT to be a joke. :joy: It’s almost like this person WANTS or is pushing for her nephew to be seen as a predator. Like she just really needs some attention… Kids watch babies get diaper changes. Big deal. There’s no harm in it.

4 Likes

Have you told him to leave? This seems like a simple fix

4 Likes

Can everyone stop telling me that I need to be the one to give him the talk :woman_facepalming: I’m not his mom. I dont even know him that well. I’m not even related to him. I never called him a pervert and never accused him of anything. I was asking if I should tell him mom or let it go because I know its curiosity.

Jesus :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

10 is too old to just be curious.

Also, don’t change your daughter in front of people.

Yes 10 year olds are capable of sexually assaulting kids, or adults for that matter, but so is literally everyone else.

Sexual assault offenders are commonly family members and people you trust.

If your spidey senses are tingling… listen.

6 Likes

My boyfriends son is the same way hes very touchy esp with girls its freaky and I’ve caught him on several occasions standing by the door as I’ve changed my daughter ive asked him if he needed something never nothing he has an older sister as well and the mother keeps them in the same room so they see alot of one another hes 10 as well shes 12 my daughter just turned 3 and we are having another I have spoken to my bf about it who does nothing so I have taken matters into my own hands and sorry but hes not allowed around unless I am there

If he was your son and not your nephew would you have the same concern ? I would just say hey nephew you ok? I’ll be right there I’m changing the baby. End of story

3 Likes

I’d say that’s just normal and age appropriate curiosity. People change their kids diapers just about anywhere. Seeing a little one get their diaper changed isn’t something to be creeped out by. Children learn by watching adults. If it bothers you that much, maybe next time just shut the door.

3 Likes

Why don’t you open your mouth and ask. Making those types of accusations can ruin his life. Don’t push your childhood trauma on him.
If it makes you that uncomfortable take her in the bathroom and change her.

7 Likes

Shut the door if it bothers you so much?

3 Likes

Omggggg hes ten!! He could’ve been just wanting to keep you company or ask a question!! Lord people are getting retarded!

10 Likes

If it makes you feel uncomfortable why don’t you just close the door? Don’t create a problem if there isn’t one. An accusation like that can ruin someone’s life.

15 Likes

Okay so if you’re bothered shut the door. But I definitely think you’re overreacting

6 Likes

Y’all are so quick to over react to everything. If you’re that freaked out close the damn door. Be proactive not reactive.

Some of you have led enchanted lives. There are 10 year old perverts. There are 7 year old perverts. I’m not saying that this particular child is but age doesn’t matter. I know from experience. I say, if you get a weird vibe then close the door AND talk to his parents. Definitely don’t continue to let it happen if you are uncomfortable. It may be innocent curiosity but don’t take chances with your kids. They need you to protect them. Also, girls can do the same with less than innocent intentions. It’s less common so we don’t think about it but, yes, girls can be perverts as well. The main thing is to protect your child. From anyone and anything. Even a 10 year old. The best advice I can give is to close the door.

7 Likes

With how you feel uncomfortable with it try and close the door while you change her diaper if the child purposely opens to watch you change the baby then simply say “im changing the baby right now and we need some privacy” then close the door again and address it with your husband if you are not comfortable talking to your in laws! I come from a big family and honestly if my 10yo niece watched me change my son or daughter i would not think anything of it bc she genuinely likes to help with the babies in the family! But everyone is different and feels different ways about things! Good luck mama!

1 Like

If you think a 10yo boy has ulterior motives other than just being curious, it’s time to check if he’s ok.

3 Likes