I Don't Know What to Do About My Family's Relationship with My Mother-in-Law: Advice?

QUESTION:

"A few months ago my mother-in-law got back into our lives 3 years after disowning us. I offended her back then, and she wanted nothing to do with me and didn’t give me a chance to tell her about my pregnancy.

I thought that we could get over the past (which we didn’t discuss) for the sake of our son so that he will get to see her. I was also kind of hoping that we will be invited to the holidays. I invited her several times to come over and see him even though my husband kept telling me that she is the same person (narcissist) and that she hasn’t changed.

She actually came over; we had tea, she played with him. It was fine. She also asked to come over and see him, and I allowed it. I also sent pictures of him without her asking. It’s like she wants to see him but doesn’t consider him family since he is welcome to come over with us.

I’m still friends with her on Facebook, so I see that she calls herself a grandma to a friend’s baby and an aunt to another little girl. She didn’t invite our son to Halloween at her house after she asked what we are doing, and we said nothing. We will be at home.

She posted about her Halloween party with that “granddaughter” and “niece” and the whole family and now I realize that she will never invite my son to anything. She never posts about him. No one on Facebook knows about him.

We think that her husband dislikes us. He is very religious and old and who knows… that might be the reason. My husband wants nothing to do with her, and he doesn’t want our son to get hurt in the future.

My family is in a different country, so we are alone if we don’t consider my mother in law. For any help or holidays, we rely on friends or paid babysitter. Should we talk to her next time and tell her how we feel and not see her anymore or should we just move on?"

RELATED QUESTION: My Mother-in-Law Goes Out of Her Way to Ignore My Son and Me in Favor of Her Other Grandkids: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Sounds like your husband has been dealing with it all of his life so to keep his son from feeling those feelings he had growing up, he’s trying to protect him it seems. I would rather have no family at all than to have someone treat me or my children this way. Sometimes, we have to cut those ties and be at a distance. Listen to your husband, he’s used to it.”

“If she’s not willing to grow up and put differences aside, just move on. Don’t force your child on her. If she makes no effort leave it at that.”

“Respect your husband’s decision and move on. This sounds like more stress than what it is worth. Just let it be known the door is always open, but let her make that decision and you move on.”

“Listen to your husband and move on. He knows her better than anyone, if he wants nothing to do with her, then he has accepted her as a person and realizes nothing with ever change. Protect your family and move on.”

“Your Husband knows this woman. Trust him. Her recent actions are showing you how she feels. Have you researched narcissism? I would if I were you and maybe that can make it easier to understand what your Husband is saying. I’m so sorry, but it seems like the best thing to let this go.”

“I hope you don’t want her to be your babysitter… you can’t make people change or force them to care if they don’t. Listen to your husband. Focus on your kid who is unaware of what is going on. Be decent but do t go above and beyond and break your hearts.”

“Stop trying to fix something that your husband doesn’t want. If he’s not interested in a relationship with his mother then leave it alone. If you keep doing this, you’ll just drive a wedge between you and him. *** My husband has been trying to fix the relationship between my father and me for years… I resent him for it… and my father hasn’t changed any… he’s still very narcissistic, self-absorbed, he never wanted a daughter and now he plays favorites with my children, and my daughter is the one hurt now. He’s gone forever now.”

“Your husband knows his mom. Time to just move on and protect your child’s heart.”

“I don’t understand why you couldn’t respect your husband’s wishes and move on? That’s his mother and it should be up to him if he wants a relationship with her and you should be supportive. I don’t know what you’re trying to get at here. If she really cared she’d show it. Seems like unnecessary drama at this point.”

“Rise above her pettiness. Always be a lady. Tell your son his grandma is not like other grandmas but leave the door open for her to rejoin your life. Send her a picture of your son once a year and other than that, let her go as she chooses.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

14 Likes

I would move on honestly its not worth the effort if shes acting that way

4 Likes

If she’s not willing to grow up and put differences aside, just move on. Don’t force your child on her. If she makes no effort leave it at that.

8 Likes

Respect your husbands decision and move on. This sounds like more stress than what it is worth. Just let it be known the door is always open, but let her make that decision and you move on.

7 Likes

No. Drop her. Let it be. Move on!!

The decision is your husbands… I would stay out of it and let him deal with it.

5 Likes

Sad to say but move on if she is showing no interest and can’t let go of the past.

I have had to let family go which was my sister and dad and I feel so much better. Sometimes it’s better to leave well enough alone. Trust me On that

If she doesn’t want to put in the effort I wouldn’t bother. Doesn’t sound like she will change much.

1 Like

I would move on, you gave her the chance to be a grandma. Listen to your husband, he will know what she is like.

2 Likes

make your own little family find some friends

You have a JUSTNOMIL. Go to reddit and find the sub. These are your people

1 Like

Move on! You extended olive branch after olive branch she doesn’t sound interested. As far as her husband :woman_shrugging: that’s still on his mom for being a flaky person.

Move on sweetie. You can’t expect other people to have the same heart as you, and eventually shes going to hurt your baby with her indifference.

2 Likes

Sounds like your husband has been dealing with it all of his life so to keep his son from feeling those feelings he had growing up, he’s trying to protect him it seems. I would rather have no family at all than to have someone treat me or my children this way. Sometimes, we have to cut those ties and be at a distance. Listen to your husband, he’s used to it.

14 Likes

Listen to her husband and move on. He knows her better than anyone, if he wants nothing to do with her than he has accepted her as a person and realizes nothing with ever change. Protect your family and move on.

6 Likes

It’s your husbands mum, it’s his choicf

2 Likes

Your husband knows his mom. Time to just move on and protect your child’s heart.

4 Likes

You have your own little family now. You have tried more than someone would. It’s time to move on hun.

Tough cchoice if my husband has been hurt trying to fix it might do more harm support your husband be there if he wants to

Listen I never forced my children on anyone!!! I would honestly move on. I would cut communication with her as well. I mean if your husband does not want to have anything to do with his mother then there is problems there. I always felt as long as my children had me they didn’t need anyone else!! Good luck and may God Bless.

2 Likes

Your Husband knows this woman. Trust him. Her recent actions are showing you how she feels. Have you researched narcissism? I would if I were you and maybe that can make it easier to understand what your Husband is saying. I’m so sorry, but it seems like the best thing to let this go. :heart:

4 Likes

I would do what your husband says to do. She’s will regret it one day

Rise above her pettiness. Always be a lady. Tell your son his grandma is not like other grandmas but leave the door open for her to rejoin your life. Send her a picture of your son once a year and other than that, let her go as she chooses.

3 Likes

Move on. If your husband, her own son says so, I’d Respect his wishes and concerns. He knows what she’s capable of and how she could hurt your son.

1 Like

I say atleast voice to her, not argue, about how you’re feeling. Maybe shes standoffish because she doesnt know how to feel either. That way you can atleast say you made the effort because sometimes the only issue is miscommunication. If the problem still persists, walk away & be at peace with it.

1 Like

Build your own tribe of people. If its a drama for someone to be in your life then they’re not your people :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Move on, she is a grown women who took offence and disowned her own son. You will be seen as the bad person by all that know her

I hope you don’t want her to be your babysitter… you can’t make people change or force them to care if they don’t. Listen to your husband. Focus on your kid who is unaware what is going on. Be decent but do t go above and beyond and break your hearts.

4 Likes

I’d move on. She made it very loud and clear she wants nothing to do with y’all. I know it’s heartbreaking, but it’s only going to hurt the child if you keep trying and he sees her rejecting him so often. Just leave it be.

2 Likes

If her own son wants nothing to do with her then just move on. Your baby will get hurt in the future when he starts noticing he isn’t acknowledged by her and not included in anything. Family doesn’t have to be blood. Who knows how close you and future friends can become. It’s better to cut out toxic family ASAP than to drag it out.

3 Likes

I think you should talk to her, tell her how you feel, and let yourself off the hook. Then at least you’ll know you tried and can wash your hands of it if she continues.

Listen to ur husband. No one knows a parent better than their own child. Help ur husband break the cycle and spare ur son the dysfunction and feelings of unwantedness as he gets older. Family doesn’t have to be blood you can have an extended family of friends who will love u ur husband and ur son like their own.

1 Like

Create your own family with great friends. That’s what I did and it’s amazing to have people you consider family that you got to pick

Trust your husband and stop forcing something that isn’t there. The family you two are building is 1st. My son has 1 living grandparent (mil) and she has zero access to our son and it will stay like that. Sometimes keeping our child(ren) away from toxic family members is a way of protecting them too.

2 Likes

Just move on the disappointment for u isn’t worth it if that is how she treats u and ur child. Ur child knows who is there and loves him. Move on so ur child doesnt get hurt later in life. I’m going threw same stuff with my daughters dad side of family.

1 Like

Don’t have anything to do with her. Narcissist never change

How did you offend her?

Maybe talk to her first. Then if nothing changes just call it quits.

I dont understand why you couldn’t respect your husband’s wishes and move on? That’s his mother and it should be up to him if he wants a relationship with her and you should be supportive. I dont know what you’re trying to get at here. If she really cared she’d show it. Seems like unnecessary drama at this point.

3 Likes

It’s your husbands job to deal with his mother. My opinion, it’s her loss if she chooses to not know her grandchild.

1 Like

Do you and your family a favor and listen to your husband! We went No Contact with my MIL almost 10 years ago and IT IS WONDERFUL!!! That woman didn’t like me from day 1. Loved my husband’s ex, thought he should have married her, and TOLD me so. She treated the other grandkids better than ours so shortly after our daughter turned 1, he told his mother that until she could accept that I am his wife and respect me and treat me as such AND until she could treat our daughter like her other grandkids, she had no business being in our life. Crickets since then. We don’t have to deal with her drama and BS. When we had our son, we never mentioned it to her. She has seen his once (he’s almost 7) and that was when we went to a funeral to hubby’s grandmother. She tried to talk to me at my sis in law’s bridal shower and I calmly told her that now was not the time to get in to our issues. Silence again. She still dotes on the other grandkids and blames the estrangement on me. Whines about how much she misses her son, but rarely a word about our kids.
Do not do that to your kids. My kids only recently learned that they have another grandmother but aren’t bothered by not knowing her. My family lives 1800 miles away, so I get it. But I don’t want anyone that toxic around my kids and neither should you.

4 Likes

Stop trying to fix something that your husband doesn’t want. If he’s not interested in a relationship with his mother then leave it alone. If you keep doing this, you’ll just drive a wedge between you and him.
*** My husband has been trying to fix the relationship between my father and I for years… I resent him for it… and my father hasn’t changed any… he’s still very narcissistic, self absorbed, he never wanted a daughter and now he plays favorites with my children, and my daughter is the one hurt now. He’s gone forever now

4 Likes

Your husband doesn’t want a relationship with them so let them go! Can you imagine the hurt and rejection your child will feel trying g to keep them around when they don’t want to be. Follow your husbands lead and let the in-laws go!

1 Like

Sounds like your husband knows what up

I think knowing the type of person she is it probably wouldn’t do any good. But you can’t break something more than shattered, and the relationship is definitely shattered. I personally would say something, for my own peace of mind. I don’t like living with “what-if’s”. So speak your mind, don’t be hateful doing so since that’s not gonna get you anywhere. But maybe telling her how you feel might open up the possibility that your son will have a grandmother relationship with her. This gives you the peace of mind and an answer when he’s older on why. But. If it does no good then close the door. Deadbolt it. Nail it shut. Move on and be happy.

1 Like

You need to out less weight on what she posts on FB. Social media isn’t life. You said you offended her 3 yrs ago. She didn’t even know your son existed until recently. How old is he? She may feel distanced, disconnected from him. It may take time to heal from whatever you did 3 years ago. Personally I’d give her time to rebind with you, her son & grandson.

I grew up with no siblings and very few relatives, but I had lots of people in my life who filled those roles. I have bonus kids in addition to my two bio kids and even some unrelated young children who call me “Grammy Pammy” who I love like my own. Create the family you want and skip the MIL who obviously doesn’t want to be a part of your lives. Her loss. She showed you who she is, believe her. Create your own happy family.

1 Like

Honestly I think his family his choice. He knows them a hell of a lot better than you so if he says no then I would agree with him

2 Likes

Dont beg people to participate in your kids lives. If they want to be there they will. Move on hun.

1 Like

Nope. Burn the bridge

Why don’t you take your son to your nearest nursing home and ask if they have adopt a grandparent.

1 Like

I hope my kids don’t feel this way. I’m grandma to many and know to their kids and great grandma. I don’t push any of my grandkids into my life they know me . Some are grown some are still little, I love them all . Do I have favorites nope they are all special in there on ways. They know when they want to see me. Also know when I’m grouchy and they want to go home. Not all are blood

Cut ties and move on. Make a new family because you made it this far without them. I’ve learned that family can be the best and the worst to each other.

1 Like

Cut ties with her !!!
My mother in law and sister in law are the same way… i told my husband that our son want know them until he gets older if he chooses to…

You nor your child needs that type of person in your life

1 Like

Cut ties and have a good life. Don’t invite toxicity into your home

3 Likes

Does your husband have a sister or female cousin he was always second best to?

Agree with your husband, cut all ties and move on with yer lives,your son doesn’t need toxic around him …her lose…

1 Like

Thats HIS mother. And if HE doesn’t want anything to do with her it’s probaly for very good reason. She raised him. He knows her. He Probaly doesnt want her around to mess up or hurt his babys heart in future. Some people are toxic. I would just stop. Stop trying to involve this woman who clearly has no interest. Your husband probaly has a good reason out of an instinctive protective nature to exclude this woman from his childs life. Just leave it alone. It sounds like its probaly you reaching out hoping for some kind of near by relative connections because your family is far away…

4 Likes

Firstly, I would listen to your husband’s heart. He knows his Mother, and it sounds like he isn’t trying to control you, but he is trying to keep his family from being hurt. It sounds like he knows her pretty well. She doesn’t want a real relationship with her grandson, I wouldn’t want my child (ren) getting hurt. Ultimately it is up to the parents. In the end you need to explain why you did, or didn’t to your kids. Just keep them safe, and loved

5 Likes

Kinda sounds like you want free babysitting. Not to mention soooooo much left out of this story.

2 Likes

In my opinion, you have tried to reach out to her and saw how she reacted. So now your conscious is comfortable that you did your part. So just move on and live your life without her. You don’t need toxic negative people in your life. Good Luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

It does hurt. My mom loves me and my daughter and I’m 8 months along with my second daughter and she’s been helping so much. And my boyfriend has 3 other kids. And she tries with them too. But my step dad has an issue with me and it causes a big fight between them any time she does anything for us. But my mom is trying her hardest to still be here. But my step dad just for whatever reason acts like we don’t exist. Which we never were like this it just stated out of the blue when I moved back home. And I’ve tried reaching out but he refuses to acknowledge us. At first I was upset and cried allot. But now I’ve gotten to where I don’t think about it. I just try and be happy with my little family.

Kids understand. My mother favored one of my children. She did the same with my brother and I. Then my brother had the granddaughter she wanted… Very upset that I have 2 sons. She was not fond of my younger child and when he was 2 she shut her door in his face and left my older son sitting outside in the snow and cold when she had taken him overnight because she was hiding a family member in her home that I didn’t want around my kids. Needless to say I cut her off that day. My life became so much better without her putting me down and belittling me. When her obituary hit the paper I never existed just my bother, my sons and my niece. Then was when my husband finally fully saw what I had been saying for the last 20 yrs. Good luck and trust your husband.

1 Like

MOVE ON…Not your issue and all it does is hurt you!

8 Likes

Stop trying to force it move on

Respect your husbands decision. He knows her and her behaviours more than you do. I respect my husbands decision to stay out of his family’s life. And he respects mine with some members of mine.
When people are toxic, sharing a blood line doesn’t change that, unfortunately.

I would definitely move on. Never beg anyone to be in your life or your children’s lives. If she cared you wouldn’t have to ask. Her actions speak for themselves. If she notices that you’ve stepped back then explain to her why you’re upset. Your husband knows his mother best and he’s probably right about the situation. You will find friends in life that will be more like family than your own. It’s hard sometimes not having help or having people around for holidays but it’s better than having someone half there who doesn’t want to be.