I don't like my childs teacher and want to audio record her at school: Advice?

Have any mamas put an audio recorder in their kids backpack?? I don’t like my child’s teacher. I’m worried about the things he says in class and want to listen in.

30 Likes

I don’t think your allowed to record ppl without them knowing

1 Like

I would ask principal to sit in on class

2 Likes

Switch teachers. Bring it up to the principal and have a meeting about your concerns. There are other avenues to take before doing something illegal.

2 Likes

It’s definitely illegal to record people without their knowledge and permission.

If you have an issue, take it up with the school principal.

1 Like

I would think you’d have to check with your state law. I know in NJ you can record without other persons consent but not sure other states

I would ask principal to sit in on class.

Depending on where you live, that may be illegal. My daughter had a teacher that was saying racist things to her and I went by her word and went to the guidance counselor and the principal

1 Like

I can understand your concern. Do yourself a favor, make sure your state is a one call party law. As long as it is, you are allowed to audio record as you would be the person knowing it’s being recorded. If it’s not, then you’re putting yourself in danger by breaking the law. So do a check before doing anything like that. And if you can’t record then I would schedule a meeting with the teacher and the principal if you are that concerned.

That’s illegal in most states. Talk to the principle and change classes

1 Like

Go ahead if you want to get arrested… ask to sit in the class or let the principal know what your concerns are

They have those watches that you can listen in on but it doesn’t record— through Verizon I think?

1 Like

You should be able to sit in on classes to observe.

That’s illegal asf, and disgusting huge invasion of privacy
Move your childs class and stop being childish talk to the school like any normal parent Express your concerns and work as a team.

10 Likes

Why don’t you just go in and volunteer.

The Gizmo Watch has a feature where you can put it on silent . When you call it will automatically answer after 4 rings I believe and you can listen to what is going on in the surrounding area. Just a thought.

2 Likes

That’s definitely illegal to record someone without their knowledge :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

that’s definitely illegal😂

It’s illegal and won’t be used as evidence in court. It’s a violation of privacy. If you tell the teacher you will be sending your child to school and recording what is being said to her/him then you might be able to use it against the teacher if your state allows it b

Go to the principal and the principal doesn’t handle it tell him or her you’ll go above his head next time. Recording someone without their knowledge is illegal

Not sure how it works with the class being minors and recording all day on whats going on…
Wont it be easier to just change class’s
If your going to be home all day listening why not home school

Is the teacher a he or a she? You’re confused. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Why don’t you just request that she moves classes??

I would suggest being a little more professional and mature. Speak with the teacher and address your concerns. Make sure they’re legitimate concerns. Disliking him for teaching techniques isn’t legitimate. Asking why and listening to his reasoning may help you adjust, even if you don’t agree. If you haven’t sat in on a class or are going solely on a complaint your child might have doesn’t justify looking to set a person up. Ask to move your child. However, you will most likely have a problem too.

7 Likes

Depends on your state if it’s legal to record. As to all the comments about having the mother or principal sit in on the classes… Do y’all REALLY think that teacher is gonna say or do anything inappropriate when he’s being watched? Come on now, let’s get real!

2 Likes

I dont see why you couldn’t. I mean my mom did that when my sister was in school. Come to find out she was being ride to my sister because shes mild mentally handicapped. My sister can move and can function like a regular kid, shes just a little slow. But my mom contacted the school district company people, not sure who. It was someone higher higher up. And the teacher got fired.

This was back in 2004ish.

It’s illegal, but you can sit in class and observe.

1 Like

Unless the teacher is criminal, this is manipulative and obsessive. Talk to the principal or the teacher himself/herself about your concerns

3 Likes

Be very careful with your state law. A friend of the family did that and actually ended up the one in trouble. The state of Illinois requires two party consent.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the situation is, but have you had a meeting with the teacher? The principal? I would take those steps first and then ask for a class change if things continue that way they are.

Have a meeting with the teacher and principal and maybe that’s where you can record your conversation about what’s going on. I know some states it’s legal, but not sure how legal it is to record other minors.

Do other parents have the same concerns? Talk to the principal.

Or, you could be a normal adult and go talk to the principal? And maybe get your kid moved to a different class? Who the hell goes “I dont like you I think I’ll record you”

11 Likes

You just don’t like him? Or has he said inappropriate things in class ? Start with the principal

6 Likes

Carley Anaya Gonzalez. Haha we should

1 Like

Does anyone care to kno what grade this kid is in???

3 Likes

You better check your state laws on recording. Some states require that you have to let the other party know you are recording them

2 Likes

As long as you’re in a single party consent state it’s fine. But even if you’re not, who is going to know unless you play the recording for them? But honestly, if you’re this concerned about the teacher, you need to set up a meeting with the principal.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s illegal and as a teacher I would be livid if a parent recorded me purely because they “don’t like” me. You should maturely bring your concerns to the principal if bringing them to the teacher have not worked.

4 Likes

Uh, recording minors without parental consent could lead to trouble.

4 Likes

This is far too vague for me… I’m gonna need examples of things said or done that would warrant an action that could hurt a teacher’s career…

6 Likes

You " don’t like the teacher" isn’t valid reason to record the teacher and a whole class of minors. I haven’t liked a many teachers but we handle it like adults at meetings. Also more info on these silly posts should be required like age, grade, why you don’t like the teacher ect. This is very limited info and to my knowledge the last 3 parents that pulled this stunt all got in serious trouble.

6 Likes

Actually if you live in a one party state you can definitely record and no you don’t have to be part of the conversation, my daughter records her teachers all the time for note taking purposes and that’s how we caught her teacher making homophobic comments to her and her girlfriend after class as they were leaving, he no longer works there

1 Like

you don’t state why you don’t like the teacher or if the teacher has actually done anything to genuinely cause concern

but no, legally you cannot “bug” someone

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s illegal.
But really what is the issue you have with the teacher?

I’m not sure it’s a great idea to put your child in the middle of this…

1 Like

Depending on the state, it might be illegal to record without informing the other party.

2 Likes

And I have herd of plenty of parents in the news in one party states putting recording devices in children’s bags, hair and on jewelry to record situations at school and catching the teachers doing bad things to students and saying things they shouldn’t say to students

How old is your kid? Can they vouch for themselves if anything was wrong?

Debbie Langley do this

Well for one that’s illegal to do without their consent. Plus recording the minors in the class as well.

Do you not like her as a person? Or as a teacher? There is definitely more info needed here. And as a parent/adult most people wouldn’t go trying to secretly recording they would go have a conversation with the principal or set up a meeting with both the teacher and principal to express your concerns and try to come to an actual resolution

3 Likes

Why don’t you like the teacher? What type of things do they say? I had a teacher say something real mean to my kid once and I pulled her into the principal’s office and told her about it. It never happened again.

I can’t… I try but I can’t… if you’re an adult you know you’re going to encounter people you don’t like and guess what? so will your kids… if it’s super inappropriate or abusive then contact the school… otherwise get over it you can’t record a bunch of kids

2 Likes

What would this accomplish?
I’m assuming you haven’t switched classes because this is the only teacher available right?
So because you “don’t like” them you’re going to try getting them fired so ALL the students go without a qualified instructor?
We really need more details on why you don’t like them because right now you look like an asshole

First of all why are you worried? Talk to the principal first…if you simply don’t like them then move your kid from the class

1 Like

These kids are going to encounter teachers and bosses they don’t like. you and kids need to deal with it.

4 Likes

Why don’t you like the teacher?

1 Like

Btw even IF you live in a one party consent state YOU have to be part of the phone call or conversation

Be an adult and bring your concerns to the principle or even superintendent if you have to, its childish to go behind the teachers back and record, not to mention illegal. If brought to court it won’t be sufficient evidence! Just go to the principle and if nothing is done go to the superintendent!

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s rules against such things so be careful what you do

Plus you might find out your kid is part of the issue… That would be interesting…

10 Likes

You need to talk to the principal and if nothing gets done you need to go to the superintendent. Then if nothing gets done tell them your going to get a lawyer and see what happens!

1 Like

My mom put one in my coat pocket when i was a kid. Actually got the teacher fired.

3 Likes

Since you don’t like the teacher, your personal feelings are probably clouding you’re judgement. What are you worried that they are saying? What would give you the impression that they would be doing something inappropriate?

U must wanna go to jail period just change the child’s class

1 Like

That’s illegal. Why don’t you be an adult and go speak with her if you have issues.

4 Likes

I would ask to sit in on a class or even volunteer for a few hours during class.

2 Likes

I highly recommend not doing that you can get in legal trouble for that that’s a violation of privacy and without consent and I’m pretty sure that it’s against school policy too. Try talking to the office and maybe they can set up a meeting with the teacher and principal. 

3 Likes

Not liking versus actual concerns that should go to administration are two different things to this momma bear :heart::woman_shrugging:t2: … mom of 4, teacher family n friends I say do the grown up thing & address it, don’t teach sneakiness to your child.

4 Likes

Schools are a public place. So it is totally legal to record the classroom. At least in Florida. This happens quiet a bit where parents put recording devices inside their children’s bags.

2 Likes

Your not always going to like all yours children’s teachers, thats apart of life, be an adult an go through the proper channels if you are that worried.

If your child is saying something speak to the principal and also let the principal know you are going the head of your school district.

1 Like

You can sit in on the class, but you can’t record. Tell the principal you don’t trust the teacher and you want your child switched to a different class. If they won’t or “can’t”, tell them you’ll be sitting in on class everyday until they do. And you’ll be contacting the superintendent and speaking in front of the school board at the next meeting. And you’ll blast the school on social media. And generally make everyone’s life miserable. They’ll give you what you want. Now if you have a problem with the new teacher, then the issue is either with you, your kid, or the school district. I suggest you move at that point and find out. Be real honest with yourself before you drag those people through the mud. Don’t be a Karen, Judith.

1 Like

If u feel theres an issue, go to the principal. Or even talk to the teacher. I wouldn’t do that…its illegal to record someone without their knowledge/permission, AND if the other kids are also recorded, that too is illegal.
What is happening that you feel like that’s your only option???

2 Likes

Against the law ! Personality conflict doesn’t constitute moving the child. Try changing your controlling attitude and I’ll bet your child will be just fine. Teachers are the most underappreciated employees in the world.

6 Likes

If your child is truly not thriving switch teachers.

1 Like

You could literally just change teachers.

1 Like

I wouldn’t do that… Is there any other reason why… Is ur child coming home saying things that the teacher said? Is ur child being bullied by a teacher? I think it depends. If i felt that my child was being bullied by a teacher then hell yea i would

Lmao that’s illegal asf. Keep your snitching ass kid at home then

That’s illegal. If u have concerns u should take them up with the school.

2 Likes

I was a teacher. I think you should go in and observe the teacher randomly.

Oh, that definitely does not sound legal. Schools may be a public place, but you will also be recording other children and therefore impeding their privacy.
I’d be having a chat to the principal if you’re that concerned.

1 Like

You can record. I don’t know why all these ppl act like it’s illegal. It’s not. It’s a public building and she’s a public worker. You can record her if you feel your child isn’t being treated right

1 Like

Contact the principal and ask to sit in on classes/for a conference with the teacher and principal. Go about it the proper way first rather than jumping to being sneaky.

1 Like

I’m not sure this is legal because your son I wouldn’t think can consent. I’d just ask to switch classrooms, or bring your concerns to the principal. If that doesn’t work take it higher up.

Just go sit in the class and see how they interact. Set up a conference with the teacher, principle and your child so you can get it all out and see what is really going on. Putting a recorder in your child’s things could be a problem with the fact there are other kids there and you don’t have the right to record them.

That has to be illegal…try being up front and open - often works well!

Well read a news story where a mom did that attached a mini camera to her child’s clothing and they ended up on the news. Why? Her autistic child and other special needs children were being, hit, mocked and tortured daily by 3 classroom professionals. One of the mom’s whose child was also being hit was only made aware of the abuse her son endured because of the news broadcast. Do what is right for child, tell no one and if all is well great. If not you have proof and then you have the means to tske the action.

Unfortunately it is illegal. I wanted to do the same with my daughters first grade teacher because I after so many months i felt the woman was bullying my daughter and come to find out i was actually right. My daughter came home one day telling me she had to move and when I asked her why she responded by saying her teacher told her she should not come back there anymore. This was after she had continously beaten my daughters self esteem down made her feel stupid and called her lalalayla land. In front of her whole class.so go with your gut and get your kid out if you feel there is a problem. I’ll tell you that woman no longer teaches anymore after I went in there!

1 Like

Might want to look up the laws where you are, it can be illegal to record someone with audio or video without consent

That’s a violation of the teacher’s rights! You have a concern address it head on not in a cowardly way! How ridiculous are you!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It is within your right , to sit in class , or in the hallway , I believe. But recording I believe is illegal

You helicopter parents need to get over yourselves! Have you ever asked yourself that maybe YOUR kid is the problem and not the teacher!

Never done it but I can tell ya you can gets very decent recorder for cheap on Amazon. Not gonna lie, I used this several times with my stepmom as she went down the road of dementia, she was very combative and her kids didn’t like me much but they refused to take care of her, so it made me feel better to keep it in my pocket to try to show that I wasn’t abusing her…at least verbally. It was a weird situation. Also used it with my dad in the car as he started losing his memory and he would tell me stories from when he was a kid, it was invaluable to record memories that are now lost in his mind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D75SN1H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Gf2XDb703MF9Y

I can’t speak to the legalities of recording a teacher without their knowledge, however, from a teacher’s point of view I can tell you that 99% of what your child comes home and tells you is valid. I witness teachers bully students, speak inappropriately to them, be downright mean to them. The information may be skewed a little, however, if your child is consistently telling you things about their teachers that you find inappropriate, conversations need to be had with the teacher and school administration. I manage my classroom and students with love, kindness and respect, I expect the same from children’s’ teachers. Educators should NEVER act in ways that if recorded without their knowledge would cause concern.

Have your child tell you how their day was and if anything pops up a red flag you take it to the principal and if something doesn’t get done go higher and higher if need be. There’s a chance you wouldn’t hear what’s really going on with sending a recorder in your child’s backpack. But be the voice of your child and find out from your child and go from there.

Address the problem with the teacher. Set up a meeting with teacher and principal.

2 Likes

Best thing to do is meet with the teacher and principal. Where I live as a parent we are allowed to sit with our child during school.