I don't want my boyfriend's mom being in charge of my baby shower decorations: Advice?

It’s your baby shower not her’s

1 Like

My mother in law took charge of my baby showers and she did an amazing job. Plus they are supposed to be thrown for you. Give yourself the day to have fun and not have to do too much

2 Likes

Tell her “thanks for the offer but I think I have everything under control for now, I’d definitely keep u in the loop though especially if things change”

2 Likes

Just tell her you are making the choices and she can help

2 Likes

Let her do it if you are worried about her ideas sit and talk with her. Let her know what you like and don’t like. The moor you work WITH her now the better it will be in the long run.

1 Like

Honestly let her pick, you say use aren’t that close but letting her do something will bring use closer. She is there and she wants to be active. Maybe it’ll be the thing to bring use closer.

1 Like

She is family now. Just explain the look and ask her to help.

1 Like

Tell her that you have already picked out your theme and want to handle the decorations but that the biggest help she could is to do XYZ … Make it seem like your struggling with whatever task you want her to do. It will make her feel like she is the hero for taking that dreadful task away from you​:thinking::thinking::thinking:🤷

2 Likes

Instead of looking at it like this… maybe see the positive side, she is thrilled about the baby as well as wanting to do something nice for you as you celebrate together…just a thought.

4 Likes

“Oh! I’ve already bought all the decorations and have it all planned out. Instead, would you rather _____ or _____?”

1 Like

Just tell her that you are going to do the decorations because you already know how you want it

2 Likes

Personally I would be very grateful that she offered. Let her be in charge of the decorations for goodness sake. Don’t be one of those control freaks. So many new mothers to be have no one to help with anything. Choose to be the kind of person who allows the help people offer. And if it’s not up to your standards then don’t let her help with any other parties.

5 Likes

If someone is giving you a shower, let them deal her helping. You should be decorating for your own shower. Step back

In the end what is more important? Your control or her hurt feelings?

5 Likes

I didn’t plan mine. It’s supposed to be done for you. Relax and be spoiled.

6 Likes

Tell her she can be in charge of ur wishlist n gifts received along with a summary of gifts still remaining in wish list n invitations list
JOKES APART she can be sole in charge of food and you of decorations

Just send her loads of pics of the stuff you like and say great thanks this is what I want :hugs:

1 Like

Tell her that she can help you with the decorations

Just tell her what you want

Tell her you really want to do it but find another way for her to be involved, so you dont hurt her feelings. Its very nice she wants to be involved. Be gracious .

1 Like

Tell her that you would love for her to do it…as long as you get to pick the theme.
That way you will still have a say in it AND you won’t be burning a bridge with your unborn child’s grandma over…decorations.
Plus…right now is the perfect time for you to learn that sometimes things aren’t going to always go exactly how you want them to go…but it’ll still be all good bc the memories are what really matters.

Tell her what you want

1 Like

Say sorry I already bought everything and maybe give her something else to be in charge of.

1 Like

Idk, maybe I’m just an old person, but other people threw my wedding showers and baby showers, and I was so thankful for whatever I got. Often it was much nicer than I could have ever expected. There is the real possibility of hurt feelings in this kind of situation, and this woman will be in your life for the rest of your life. There are still so many things you will get a full say on, like your baby registry and decorating the nursery. The baby shower is just one day. If you have your heart set on a certain color scheme or decor, maybe tell her what you like, but I can’t see turning down help from someone who is and will be so important in your life.

18 Likes

Your baby, your party. You can be polite and tell her you have your heart set on doing it a certain way, but are really needing help in such and such area and ask her to help there. Can even make it seem like you just wouldn’t know what to do about the other thing without her.

1 Like

She can’t read your mind and wants to help you. Why is it so hard for people to just be honest about the way they feel. Just tell her exactly how u feel about decorating, THATS the only way she will understand :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

2 Likes

Never understood people being in charge of their own shower. More fun to be surprised

10 Likes

Well, who is throwing she shower? They would be the ones to decide. Are you throwing it for yourself?

3 Likes

Either just flat out say no or put her in charge of something else so she feels useful. I’d say something like the sweets table and favors. Tell her your theme and colors and maybe show her some pictures of what vibe you’re wanting and let her go from there. It’s something that’s a little less important, but still matters and it’s less off your plate. :relaxed:

I would just be really nice and send her pictures of ideas of what you are wanting and express that these are the decorations you are wanting to do

Honestly I have had four kid and only one baby shower my mother in law did the only one I had and she did an amazing job I just didn’t have a lot of friends or family so didn’t see the point

I say let people do it if they want! You aren’t suppose to host ur own baby shower let alone decorate it ur way! U can maybe mention to her a colour scheme u want but other then that I would leave it up to her! She is grandma of baby and she is trying to do something very nice for u!

4 Likes

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

2 Likes

Your not supposed to b in charge of ur baby or wedding shower! Give them your theme you would like n let them do it,being pregnant is stressful enough. The more help u have the better your party will b. Your doing this color scheme, with these animals yadda yadda. You would like finger samdwiches or whatever. They will ask u if you like things.

2 Likes

Is she having the baby shower FOR you ?? Or , are you having your own baby shower??

3 Likes

While you have your boyfriends mom luck are you… if my bf mom was alive and she wanted to go my bby shower dec i would plus go with her to get things… it would create a bound with u both… give her a theme u would like… go from there

2 Likes

Gonna be real here. Start learning to compromise and get over things needing to be perfect. Babies grow quickly into children who understand their family dynamic. Make that dynamic as positive, inclusive, and supportive as possible. For everyone involved, including you. Let her support you now and later, too.

Also, babies are imperfect people like the rest of us. This post sounds like you need to have things just so and like you need to control things. That doesn’t work with a baby. Go with the flow and be appreciative.

5 Likes

Yikes, I mean if it was decorating your home or something permanent I would understand. But it’s a baby shower…. That someone is throwing you? I mean if your throwing it and paying for it then do what you want but idk I’d just be grateful.

6 Likes

Let her help you out

1 Like

You both can work together on the decorations

1 Like

The hardest part about becoming a mother is loosening the reins and allowing other people to be involved. Just ask her if you can do it together, if it’s that big of a deal for you. She may surprise you

2 Likes

I would be so grateful if anyone wanted to help me or completely do something for me… but I guess that’s just not who you are as a person. Bless your heart :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Be very nice and polite and tell her you would enjoy her help and you know exactly what you want. Then set up a time to meet and plan it.

2 Likes

Ask her to go by your theme we make big deals out of little things and realize later it’s not that serious

6 Likes

Just be happy she wants to be apart of it.

3 Likes

Let her or compromise

2 Likes

Share your ideas with her & use this to bond with her

7 Likes

Let her do it and add ur own touches, if u have a theme tell her, she’s in ur life let her help, if it were me I would b crushed if I couldn’t help

4 Likes

Just tell her you want to decorate but would love for her to help, then she can be apart of it and you can still do it how you want

1 Like

Tell her get a fuck bitch

3 Likes

Don’t start your relationship like this, it’s just decorations. If she wants to help let her. I can guarantee if she didn’t ask to help you would probably say she doesn’t care. Just tell her what you want

6 Likes

Why are you having a baby shower for yourself? That is so crude.

6 Likes

Well… baby showers are not something you usually throw yourself. I think it’s nice of her to do that for you. Just sit back and enjoy it. Be thankful someone is taking the time to plan something nice. No one will remember the decorations.

6 Likes

Didnt we already see this??

Honestly, I don’t remember any of my baby shower or bridal shower decorations. But if it’s important to you tell her that… just have a conversation. You are not responsible for how she reacts if you talk to her honestly and with respect

Stop being petty lol

4 Likes

Let her help!!! This is her grandchild & she is excited!!! Don’t start off on the wrong foot.
Get to know her a bit better, you may be surprised, and a whole lot of help later, this is a party over on a couple hours. Don’t be snobby, be kind, you have her baby.

4 Likes

How about let her do it for you and be grateful she wants to. I’ve never heard of anyone decorating for their own shower lol

9 Likes

Every shower I have ever been to has been hosted by someone. The guest of honor doesn’t participate in decorating or making preparations for the shower. Be appreciative of the people hosting the shower and putting their time and money into making the shower special for you. You could offer theme ideas/suggestions to your mother in law. Also, don’t most people have two or three showers. Maybe you could offer more input for a shower hosted by your family or friends.

8 Likes

I think if she is giving it she should be involved she is just trying to be nice

3 Likes

Be happy she wants to help. IMO…when I was pregnant with my first my mom and mother in law couldn’t get along or plan nicely together and surprise me. One day close to the end of my pregnancy both of these petty ass women told me I wasn’t having a baby shower because they couldn’t get a long.

Maybe if you did it together it could help you and her get close

4 Likes

Is it really that big of a deal? I’d b happy anyone threw me a shower n not care about the decorating theme. Ur relationship with ur baby’s gram will b more important

5 Likes

Yes your lucky my mom passed away my sister a bitch and don’t care about anyone I threw my own baby shower baked and decorate my own cupcakes a friend helped me a little but at months pregnant I did it all I got no help Judy appreciate sombody wants to help

You don’t have to be rude, tell her she can help but you will make the final decisions.

Decorating is usually the responsibility of the person hosting… Plus it is a baby shower… Enjoy your free stuff… It is not even about the decorations… Why spend money on stuff that is going in the trash… No you are not going to keep the crap, you will put it in a box and forget about it or sale it on FB… Good gosh if a shower decoration is causing you problems you are going to have a miserable life for a long time…

Never heard tell of decorating for your own baby shower lol…

2 Likes

Just say yes and tell her what theme you want!

2 Likes

Maybe she just wants to help & not put her own idea of what it should be she is probably waiting for you to Tell her what theme you had in mind!

2 Likes

You can tell her “sure, but I was thinking of going with the theme of…whatever you want” be glad she wants to throw you a baby shower.

3 Likes

Don’t let small things get in the way of a relationship. It’s not worth it.

4 Likes

I am the same way very particular when it comes to decorating no matter the event I decorate because it’s satisfying. Your baby you can do as you please. Lovely gesture but your MIL shouldn’t have said it that way , she should of asked if you need help with anything first.

Why not? Less work for you.

3 Likes

Here showers aren’t thrown by the parents to be… for my 3 showers I had nothing to do with any of them… my 3rd was a surprise… be thankful someone wants to help.

2 Likes

Isn’t baby shower supposed to be for family and friends to get you started with new baby… support you…you shouldn’t worry about decoration…in long run isn’t it more important she wants to be part of your life

2 Likes

I picked the theme and my boyfriend’s aunt and cousin decorated! They even made decorations, it was beautiful! I didn’t know anything about what they were doing, till we got there!

I let mine help me and she did a great job. Just let her help atleast.

Silly girl you don’t plan your own baby shower.

2 Likes

Its really not that serious…Just sit back & show up. Its a baby shower not a competition.

5 Likes

Omg stop…let her do it…

4 Likes

It’s a couple of hours so be smart and let her decorate.

2 Likes

You sound like the problem here, not her.

1 Like

Like others have said usually others throw the shower and decorate etc. But I see the current trends with the big balloons and photo props etc. And I know that’s exciting for you. Maybe say I would love your help but I kinda have my little pregnant heart set on a particular idea of how it should look, can I send some ideas for you to work with? Keep in mind it won’t be exactly how you imagined as you won’t be doing it yourself. But also remember you will have babys first birthday to decorate and you can have all the fun you want. And trust me baby’s first birthday is right around the corner! Hes a pic of my sons first bday to cheer you up :partying_face:

2 Likes

If ure not that close tell her No…its ure baby ure baby shower so do it URE way x

When I was pregnant, decorations for my baby shower, was the last thing on my mind. I was thinking more of the nursery. Just tell her your theme. It is for one day only. You sound very petty. Just enjoy opening your gifts & be thankful!!!

2 Likes

Tell her you already have that taken care of that

Wow, sounds pretty petty to me. You have more important things to worry about than decorations. You should be thankful for her wanting to help.

1 Like

You don’t throw your own baby shower……

I would give her the theme you are wanting and let her help, also if there are things you want specifically let her know and she can do the rest. Letting someone help me helped with a lot of stress doing it so maybe be more open to her helping she doesn’t have to do it all herself

Showers are thrown for you. Not you planning them for yourself. The whole point is to celebrate the new addition. Why would you want to over work yourself and worry about something as menial decorations. “It’s got to look a certain way for pictures”? I’m assuming :roll_eyes: Let her do the decorations. You just sit back and enjoy the party.

3 Likes

Wow I had 4 babies and not one shower. Would have loved someone to have done that for me no matter how it looked. Sounds like your MIL is trying to reach out and form a bond. Seriously shame on you for not seeing that and being thankful for the blessing it is. Someone wants to do something special for you that’s a gift in itself. You need to thank her and your lucky stars

4 Likes

I’m thinking the mom to be doesn’t typically decorate for her own shower. Let her do it

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but traditionally, someone else is in charge of planning the baby shower in general, right?
I mean, I get where you’re coming from. But it’s a day based about YOU AND YOUR baby.
Sit back, relax. Let someone else take care of it for you, so it’s less stress.:heart:

4 Likes

I’d let her decorate. At least someone wants to do something for you. I personally had to plan decorate and serve for my 3 baby showers. First one only one family member came and the third one no one showed up. Second one people actually showed but I had to do the hosting. Sit back and enjoy the love you have. Good luck!

1 Like

Lose a few Battles to win the WAR. It’s just a baby shower,go and have fun. Remember it’s her grandchild you are having and she is just excited about it. Give her a theme n leave it to her

5 Likes

Oh please…just let her do it …

4 Likes

Just let her do it…dear lord…

3 Likes

Just say your mom’s doing it and that she can just come and have fun.

Say thank you and appreciate this woman who is excited for her grandchild.

6 Likes

The poor woman wants to be useful and included. Let her do it!

5 Likes