I don't want to push my son away but I am having issues with his relationship: Advice?

Hello. I have two boys, 13 and 7. Overall, they are great kids. We’ve hit the awesome, yet dreaded, teenage years. My oldest recently got a girlfriend, which I’m fine with. She just turned 13 herself. My son has a cell phone now and we set up rules, in regards to the cell phone, especially on school nights. The phone must be turned off at a certain time at night to avoid distractions, so he can get a good night’s sleep. Well, he’s been caught sneaking and texting her when the phone is supposed to be off. If he’s not calling her, she’s calling him all hours of the night. The first time, I turned it off myself. The second time, I took the phone away for the night. I told him next time; I’ll take it away for an entire day. His attitude completely changes when he is talking to her. He said she didn’t go to school for a while because she “didn’t feel like it,” and her parents just let her. Now, he doesn’t want to go to school and has been purposely running or being late when it’s school time, as well as asking me why can’t he just stay home. Almost anytime I say anything to him while he is on the phone, I get an answer but with a horrible attitude and or smart remarks. And now, she is talking about very inappropriate things with him… Telling him things about her private parts. Which I find to be uncalled for at their age. I know they are teens and are curious, but still. I’m grateful he is open with me and tells me these things, of course, but the whole situation is stressing me out. She tells him all the time, “if you love you, you’ll do this; if you love me, you won’t get off the phone or do this and that for me,” etc. Etc. He was in the bathroom one night with his shirt off, pouring water on his hair and stomach, on video chat because “she told me I had to do it if I love her.” I’m worried he’s going to be pressured into doing things. He also has chores to do, and he always fails to do them now. I’m just lost and don’t know what to do. His behavior is really bothering me. I try to give him personal space every day and more freedom, but as I said, the behavior just keeps getting worse. He’s even more hostile towards his brother for no reason. Yesterday, he asked me, “what do I gotta do if I get her pregnant?”. I don’t want to push him away, but he just seems like a completely different kid at times… in saying that, I feel like I need to give him more tough love or make the rules a little harsher until he acts better. I need some input. What would y’all do? Thanks in advance.

1 Like