I feel horrible I cannot afford Christmas again: Advice?

People forget the real meaning of Christmas, it is NOT about materialistic things it’s about family time, make a dinner and homemade cookies with them, make it a special day.

Presence not presents.

2 Likes

Anyone who suggests sending money to her obviously doesn’t kno the word scam. If she sets up a go fund me page your money is protected.

7 Likes

I completely understand!! It has been a horrible year for us too.

Your children will forget all about it. It’s not about material things. Cook them a great dinner, rent a movie, and enjoy being with your children. Play games with them.

If you’re reading this I can send you $20 via Zelle. It might not be much but I’m sure you can get a gift with it. Everyone needs help occasionally and I’m in the position to help.

6 Likes

No one said Christmas needs to be on Christmas- do a new year’s christmas or valentine’s christmas or whenever you get your tax return christmas.

1 Like

Go to American Legion.Or churches.They will help.

3 Likes

Pm me your address please

Call Salvation Army look for a toys for tots program . Other than that… maybe bake something with them spend time wthemn

2 Likes

Lots of people fall in hard times. As a social worker I know there are multiple programs in every community who do toy drives for people just in your situation. Call your human services/cys/211 and ask about any programs and how to get your sons name on the list. There is help out there if you just reach out.

3 Likes

Find another mom in a similar situation and trade toys that your kids have barely used or are like new. Kids don’t pay attention to if the tags are still on something. I ordered a “lot” of dvds off eBay for like 13 dollars. I set the scratched ones aside and divided up the rest between my kids. I think there was about 30 dvds and I only took out about 5 that looked to be badly scratched. Also, reach out to your local department of social services, while they may not have anything (their donations mostly go to foster kids) they may be able to point you in the right direction of different organizations that donate gifts. Since you have a baby, just take diapers and some baby toys your older child wouldn’t recognize and wrap those up. Also, your young children won’t have any idea that Christmas is on December 25th. If you need to wait til the next pay check, just do that. They don’t know what day it is

5 Likes

The salvation army does adopt a family for Christmas. You can even give them a list for your son. Go to your local SA and tell them you need help this Christmas. They will find a sponsor for you.

1 Like

Go to your local toys for tots, speak to any churches or St. Vincent De Paul. I’m a social worker and I see so many family struggle this time of year. Reach out to services in your local area. You can have a Christmas you just might need to receive some donations to make it happen.

1 Like

Don’t feel like a horrible mom ! My husband and I both have incomes and we still struggle every year . If it wasn’t for my mother in law my dad the kids wouldn’t get everything they have
This year we had to use credit cards for most and it put us back in bad debt . Just talk to the local churches and schools they might have programs for helping with Christmas. Your son will grow up knowing you did the best you could for him . My mom was in that situation it got so bad that she has to tell us santa was not real and told us we could get only one gift that cost $50 . I to this day still don’t resent her for not being able to do much

I don’t know where you are, but check around for give back places. We have a place not real far that people donate to and they give those items to others in need… no costs… if you need it they may have it. They never question you… they welcome you in to look and see if you see anything you need. You sign a book listing the item(s) you needed and that is it. They have to keep records for tax purposes I am sure. They are wonderful people. They have everything there.
Don’t get so flustered most people have seen this type of situation before. I don’t know the age of your child, but you can also think about doing a DIY project or something simple that comes from the heart. Good luck to you and your gift from God! Prayers ARE answered and struggles are placed upon us for reasons we may never understand. But… keep your head high and confident and do what YOU can… your time will mean more than gifts. Enjoy your holiday and I hope you have a blessed Christmas and New Year!

I know it doesnt help now but consider joining a bargain group (Banking on Bargains is one of the main ones which is awesome) any buy through the year. I’ve been picking up things since march and stashing them away throughout the year. Nearly every gift I have for my kids has come from those groups. Christmas is what you make it though. You dont need a ton of gifts. You could do crafts christmas day and bake cookies etc with the kids to make it fun. Sit and watch christmas movies. Go to the dollar tree and set up a christmas day gift hunt with lots of small gifts instead of big ones.

1 Like

There are some places you can put in to receive Christmas for your child, give them a call I realize it is hard to ask for help don’t let pride spoil your kids Christmas.

start buying for christmas and birthdays as soon as the last one is over. put it in a sealed trash bag in your closet. that way its not money to spend or loose but things

3 Likes

Check with local fire depts. And churches.

I would just do dollar store, and also find some quick easy and cheap things to make, like fudge, oreo balls, chocolate pretzels, cookies, etc. When he wakes up tell him that santa wanted to give him lots of sweets and some fun toys to enjoy with his mom for the holiday. We dont spend a lot of christmas because we have family that usually gives them gifts also, and with 2 kids it’s a lot of stuff in the end. I usually bake or make something for my relatives as a gift, and do cash for the kids in the fam. Christmas is about being together, and gifts are important but not #1. The effort is what counts

I suggest just simply going to the dollar store picking up some arts n crafts things n doing them with him :slight_smile: bake cookies, n maybe grab a few things from the dollar store to wrap. Pinterest is amazing for doing gift ideas for cheap! I hope this helps :slight_smile: Christmas is all about spending time together, n he will remember what you do with him on Christmas not what you spend on presents. I know how you feel tho when I was out of work n my boyfriend was the only one working I felt terrible bit my son had everything he needed n that time I spend with him was more important than any gift you buy from a store

1 Like

Send me your address by inbox Messenger with the age of the child. I will send you something.

8 Likes

Start a $10 month savings for next Christmas.lrss stressful.

5 Likes

Where do you live? I am about to go thru my childs toys to make room for the new ones we have coming in for xmas. I have a girl but shes really into toys and cars and things like that. I can try and see if I can come up with something for you

1 Like

Going thru something very similar. My youngest son is autistic he is 9 (acts younger). Toys for tots and all other programs I have reached out too said it was too late to help. Sorry girly. I know it sucks but try to make memories other ways 🤷.

Theres help out there. Also thrift stores and dollar stores. you use it as a lesson in teach your son it’s not about material items at Christmas and be thankful for what you do have like a roof over your head food in your stomach and health.

Please stop saying Christmas is from the heart and time spent woth family and so on. We as adults know this, but the trees, the lights, Santa (and all of us whom are kids at heart during this magical time) is for the kids and how the hell is her child or any child going to be the only one Santa never came for!?! Not everyone knows about Christmas programs, sometimes they miss the deadline, sometimes we think we’re prepared and something unexpected happens and now we’re not. Christmas is also a time for giving, loving, compassion Jesus was all that and more, so unless you want to help this woman pull ot together so her baby knows santa didn’t forget about hom please… take several seats :santa::christmas_tree::santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::santa::christmas_tree::santa:
Mama where are you located and how old is your son?

11 Likes

Reach out to any church. They will help.

2 Likes

There is help toys for tots, old news boys many churches that help.

Do a make and bake Christmas for your son l do this every year with my children and they know it comes from the heart and they have a mom who loves them and gives them life lessons Christmas is not about how much you can spend Christmas is what comes from the heart you got this good luck momma

1 Like

You are not a bad mom love , trust me it’s not all about gifts & that is not what they will remember when they are older. Even if you can only spare $20 for gifts go to the Dollar Tree they dont always last long but long enough til you can surprise them later when you have the money. Have faith

I know what it feels like to be in hard times for Christmas. This may sound dumb, but put your creativity to work! A card from “Santa” with some kind of trinket, or candy. There are tons of ways to home make a few toys too. Also, keep your eyes on Goodwill, Salvation Army, any consignment store. It doesn’t have to be big to be great! Do the traditions with him, cookies and milk, reindeer food, things that are small. Make the memories, because that’s gonna be what he remembers most. :heart:

4 Likes

Send me a message, my family would love to help send you a Christmas for your kids!

9 Likes

You are not a horrible Mama, you are doing all you can for your sweet babies! Please PM me your address as well as your son and sweet baby’s ages, I would LOVE to send you something for each of them! :heart:

1 Like

Inbox your address and we can try to send you something

1 Like

Honey, life sucks this way ~ this stuff happens at the wrong moment. Truth be told I’ve been in a pickle for a couple weeks too!!! My landlord (who is smelly, weird and just eewww) decides that the stripper he likes who is using him is going to be his new girlfriend despite the fact that she told him hey dude not your girl ~ that he of going to try to get her to move in to the house I rent. He gave me till 1/31/20 just after Turkey day I was told. Then he switched the date to 12/3q/19 then he tried to switch it to yesterday. I don’t care about leaving here I want to live in with my SO and we are getting married however I didn’t expect it to happen now! Then my car, had the Pulley belt snap and it snapped because the compressor blew that’s $745 in repair IF I forgo a filter and that means forgo a warranty if I don’t forgo it will be $943. Well this car was the downpayment for my new car loan I was approved for a week ago today. Well the belt snapped Thursday ~ they offered me $500 and that was great because it was my downpayment for a beautiful new car. (Well new to me a 2017) anyway now I have no down payment my landlord is trying to rush me out and I’ll go ~ I have place but I need first and last, and I need my car to get to my job which is full time and pays my bills. Did you get all that? Have to move, first, last other moving expenses, no car and ubering it everywhere until the 20th when my next check hits. I need $750 for the repair OR I need to pay what amounts about 65-70 a day in Uber’s to and from work, OR I have to rent a car for a week. It blows, and I am sad but… I have a few nice gifts I had bought previous to this, and even if so hadn’t HELLO DOLLAR STORE!!! My LO is 13 months my Bonus kids are 7 years old and 2 years old. My two oldest are 17 and 16. The older ones know what’s happening and they sad after hearing me talking to my Dad (my Mom died on 1/9/18 so this is our second XMas without her and it’s hard) that they quote “didn’t need anything and to please make sure their ‘little brothers and sister’ have Xmas” I won’t do nothing for them but, it will be small. The older kids know XMas is bigger than gifts. My situation SUCKS AND IM SAD ~ But this is the deck I was handed. No sense crying to much. Life will go in, things will get better but by bit. That doesn’t help now I know, but dollar store, five below, and love the kiddos. It will be ok, and also

YOUR NOT A BAD MOTHER KNOCK THAY SHIT OFF!!!

Life handed you a shit like right now, but you are NOT A BAD MOTHER.

It’s not getting knocked down that defines who you are and will be BUT HOW YOU GET BACK UP BRUSH OF THISE KNEES DRY THE TEARS AND SAY THIS TO WILL PASS AND AGAIN ~ ILL SKY WRITE THIS IF NEEDED

YOUR NOT A BAD MOM!!! NOT A BAD MOM NOT A BAD MOM NOT A BAD MOM!!!

Go to dollar tree and toy drives at churches!

2 Likes

If you’re comfortable- please DM me with age of children and address

6 Likes

I too would be thrilled to send a gift and a new outfit or jammies too!! I have 9 grandchildren who are blessed with plenty.

Message me your address right away and gifts will be there for Christmas :christmas_tree:

8 Likes

Dollar Tree is great for when you dont have a lot of money. $10 and you’ve got 10 presents under the tree. Keep your head up mama. You’re doing great.

2 Likes

Leave a card for him from Santa for different experiences over the next year! It will break up the cost for you plus it will be things you guys can experience together rather than toys! Its creating memories rather than things and that goes much further!

1 Like

Do u have any loan places nearby? I know it isn’t the 1st choice but since ur working u might get something and some places give cash right when ur approved it’s worth a shot even if it’s just 50 bucks I’m sure u could find a few small gifts for that… of course u would have to pay it back but it would help with gifts

1 Like

Ask a church. My church already adopted a family or I’d mention you to them

On years when we were broke, we celebrated Christmas after when everything was 75% off. It became tradition to do that and on Christmas day have a nice meal and hang out together in PJs. Get him maybe just a stocking and tell him Santa only fills stockings and that you buy the big gifts.

And reach out to charities in your area to see if they can help

1 Like

Food pantries will put a meal on the table, my grandkids have way more than what they need, so this year I bought glo sticks, stiker books, and alot of other stuff for $1 and filled a tote($1) with stuff from the dollar store short attention spans and creativity sparked ideas, puzzles, etc… the time spent with these small activities is what they will remember!:wink::snowman_with_snow:

Honey there are millions if children who don’t celebrate Christmas and are just fine. They’re still young, try again next year.

2 Likes

Pm me your info and what your son likes. I will send a gift via amazon.

11 Likes

I mean it’s not like Christmas sneaks up on ya… It’s the same time every year… So each month, buy a gift or two from places like the dollar store or Wal-Mart to ensure he has a good Christmas next year…

Also, you could try some pay it forward type pages for help for this year.

3 Likes

I have 3 kids. What I do is buy gifts all year long so it’s not all at once. If I see a good deal on something I buy it and put it aside. This way it stretches paying for it out and it’s not all at once.

3 Likes

Please contact me for help, I am happy to help with some gifts, decorations, gift cards for food etc. Whatever you need to make it special even if it’s small.

Don’t beat yourself up, it’s happened you can’t change it you can only do the best you can with the resources you have right now.
For next year set up a Christmas club bank account and put $10-$20 a week in it that way you’ll have $500-$1000 at the end of the year to provide your little guy with a special Christmas.

4 Likes

I’d like to help as well. If you’d like to send me some info!

3 Likes

When I was a kid all my toys came from a dollar store, as I got older it wasn’t as exciting but I was never heartbroken by it

3 Likes

Please send me the info to help as well.

1 Like

You’ve been there for the kids you love your kids they understand you’re not a bad parent

The dollar store has nice things. You can go get a couple toys a piece. Idk if it’s too late or not but some churches help out, toys for tots. Some people adopt families for Christmas, maybe check into that. Good luck mama

2 Likes

I would like to help. Please pm address and I will send so your son has the Christmas all children deserve.

5 Likes

Your kids have an unconditional love for you. They want you to be happy.

My son is older, 16, but this has been a tough year for us as well. I told my son it wouldn’t be a big gift year but instead we will do a Christmas themed activity each night until xmas. It’s actually been really fun and he’s enjoyed the moments together more than I would have thought considering his age.

2 Likes

I had to do the same thing my last year my boyfriend took my bank card and took all my rent Bill n ect money …my kids understood n I bought them whatever they wanted when I could

We are having the same issue, so any advice would be wonderful!

Just wanted to say how beautiful it is to see you ladies offering to bring joy to this little boys Christmas!

Know your kindness doesn’t go unseen :santa::mrs_claus::evergreen_tree:

What you could do is take a picture or cut a picture out of a flyer of something affordable that you can buy after Christmas and give it to him with a note that says Santas elves have to make it special for him and then when you can afford it you could mail it to yourself, with a return address of the north pole. Then he doesn’t feel like Santa forgot him.

4 Likes

How old is your boy my son has tons of toys he doesn’t play with I would love to send you!!

1 Like

… stole your wallet…

2 Likes

Please send me your address with name and age of child and I’ll send something. :santa:t3::christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Go to churchs. They help with Christmas.

1 Like

Your not horrible your trying. I know this is unanimous but if you msg me I would love to donate to you sis

1 Like

Please pm me your address and ages of your children as well. I would love to send a few gifts. Even though it’s not all about the gifts, for a child who believes in Santa it does make a difference. And I know how you feel. I went through a lot of turmoil with my kids’ dad when they were younger and he didn’t pay child support. My mom helped out a lot. We all need to stick together and help each other out for the children. They can’t help what happens with the adults relationships in their lives. Hang in there mama. Love your kids and always make them your priority and they’ll grow up knowing you are their rock and their safety net. Even though it feels like it, this hard time won’t last forever. Merry Christmas!

3 Likes

You are not a horrible parent if you were this wouldn’t bother you please seek help from churches Salvation Army your neighborhood Community center

Maybe can post locally n see if ppl can help get presents for ur son near you
I’m sure lots ppl wouldn’t mind buying him a gift what state r u in

1 Like

Put them on an angel tree. If you get foodstamps talk to your case worker, they will help.

2 Likes

Apply for Toys for Tots. I’ll post the link for you. Look into other charity programs in your area and don’t be too proud or afraid to ask for and accept help. Marine Toys for Tots

EDIT: it looks like they aren’t taking any more applications but if you click through the site like you’re planning to apply and get to where you can select your state and city, it should give you a list of local charities approved to accept toy requests. You could try contacting any of them to see if they could help you.

2 Likes

Local churches may be able to help.

There are many churches and other organizations that will help you give Christmas to your family. A committee I am in sponsored a family for Christmas we bought the entire dinner and all the gifts for the three kids. We even sponsor a family for thanksgiving too. The school district helped find the families in need. But most churches do a giving tree to get gifts.

Please pm your address will send something please

1 Like

Can you send address? I’ll send a little something

1 Like

My kids have enjoyed stuff from the dollar store. What area are you from? I would like to try and help if I can. Can you please message me?

1 Like

So I know it is late to sign up for county programs in your area but I am a single mom, i was tboned the monday before Thanksgiving by a dude with no license totalling out my car. I am having to figure out how to come up with a 1000 down payment cause the new car I got. But depending on your budget for next year, start buying gift cards and stash them away for when Christmas does come so you can shop with gift cards. Luckily this year I started shopping in October. Maybe local churches will help.

I would look into any programs around you. I know where I live, ABATE a motorcycle group, would get toys together and christmas dinner, and donate them to family’s in need. Growing up my mom benefited from this tremendously, more than once.

You are NOT a horrible parent. Most kids dont care about what’s in the presents as much as parents think. Xmas 2011 my daughters big present was a $10 doll house and my sons was a $20 cars toy. They were 4 and 5 and didnt care. Ask around if anyone has any gently used toys for free and give those. Find a clothing bank and wrap some clothes. Use food stamps (If you have them) and wrap candy, cookies, and other treats. I dont know for sure but I think you can get ginger bread houses with food stamps too…its technically food. Dollar tree and dollar general has cheap crayons and coloring books. Christmas doesnt have to be expensive.

1 Like

Where are you located? How old is your son? I have so much I could give you if you want it! We’ll give your boy a Christmas if it takes the WHOLE village <3

Your son is a year? And you have a new baby? Neither of them will remember. You will be ok.

4 Likes

Can the OP message me? So I can get an address? I will get your kids each something from amazon & send it straight to your place or a place you feel comfortable with me sending it to!

14 Likes

I so get this i have a 14yo daughter and a 5 month old son we work 6 days a week and my son was very sick for 3 months in and out of hospitals i had to be off work to care for him im so sorry worst feeling in the world i wish i could help but im in the same boat took every penny we have to just catch up bills and make sure we have a roof over our heads im back to work now but still playing catch up

Pm me your address I will send you something and ages of kids x

8 Likes

There are a lot of good advice on here, I want to add if you do try any programs apply for them ASAP, Xmas is 2 weeks away. I dont mean for this to be rude or even to the OP just an observation in general, but it drives me crazy the couple of weeks going up to Christmas when I see all these posts like “I don’t know what to do for Christmas”. Sometimes I think it’s just people looking for a handout from kind people and I don’t want those amazing kind people getting taken advantage of. Christmas is always on the same day every year, we all just have to figure it out. Like is said this is not to the OP but to the future incoming posts

3 Likes

look around for places that give away toys like tots for kids or go to dss and they might be able to help

I’m sorry that sounds awful! Maybe you can get stuffies at the Dollar Tree or something?

2 Likes

Try getting a Christmas community basket.

You could have registered him for toys for tots.

How about making some gifts for each other go to the dollar store and get glitter pipe cleaners some paint and brushes go around your neighborhood look for pretty rocks maybe some had cut down a tree also if you can have a log or see if they can cut them and give you thinner ones make it fun bake a cake use imagination that’s way more fun go on a xmas hunt o and glitter always makes thing more fun and if anything go and collect cans and recycle good luck mom I know it’s hard but take care of yourself and the kids and keep your head up

Maybe you can make a handmade gift. Dress up a picture frame and put a picture of you both in it. My mother did this one year when I was younger and I still have it on my night stand to this day. I loved the thought and the time that went into it that showed how much my mother loved me.

Contact toys for tots or stuff a bus or churches to help thats why they collect toys to help parents…

1 Like

Toys for tots runs in most cities. Would look into that

This breaks my heart and for the half of you that are willing to help her God bless you I wish there was something that I could do personally myself but we have just adopted seven children but they will have Christmas so again thanks for those who are helping her

Please reach out to local churches! Every church i know during this time of year does something for families in need… From food to presents. I know from experience it’s hard on our pride to ask for help, but seeing the smile on his face xmas morning will make asking for help all worth it girl. Start calling today!!

Try toy drives. I think toys for tots is still signing up. I know what you’re going through. I am going through this now. I am actually at a toy giveaway right now. Praying for you. Stay strong and god bless you and your family.

What about programs in your area? Here we have Sub 4 Santa and a lot of churches that help. Angel trees? Anything like that? This breaks my heart.

Good to toys for tots and their churches that gives out toys .need to check into it fast. Probably will give them away next week. Go to all the places.if you can’t go get a family member or friend. They also give frer.food certain days a month.theres a way .just to get out there.

1 Like