I feel like my daughters teachers failed her...advice?

I feel like my daughters teachers have failed her the last 6 years. She has always struggled in school and after doing some research I feel like she has a learning disability so I reached out to speak with her teachers and they all agreed…even reached out to past teachers and again they agreed…but why didnt anyone say anything to me so I could get her help soooner? Is this not their job? I am not a professional…I feel like all my daughters confidence is gone now…and I am pulling her from school and homeschooling now…

66 Likes

Mom of two boys with IEPs. You have to remember you are your child’s best advocate.

7 Likes

As a parent while doing homework with her for the past 6 years, you had to realize she had a learning disability.You could have also taken steps to assist her.

49 Likes

You can’t blame the teachers. You should have said something. That is absolutely the first step. You are your child’s advocate. You have to advocate for your child, if you feel like they need help.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s fair to completely assume teachers fault. They have a lot of kids to oversee. Not sure the entire history of things they’ve talked about but for me I feel like I don’t just send them off and expect them to learn there, I need to
Help
Them at home. But it’s not easy trust me I get it. Like things aren’t done how they used to be and things that are simple don’t feel that way.

I think you’re doing a great thing keeping her home to work with her. She can gain her confidence back. I feel like I would have done better with one on one learning and that’s what she’ll be getting from you. It doesn’t have to be forever but take it one day at a time. There are a lot of resources out there, tutors !!! Good luck. It’s never too late. 🩷 you’re doing a good job by catching it and doing what you need to!!!

5 Likes

I believe It is the parents responsibility to initiate these things. It’s is the responsibility of the parent to advocate and speak up when they see their child is struggling.

1 Like

Education starts at home and you let it go on. A year yes but 6

I guess maybe it depends on what school. Any issues that my son had or has they will talk to me and they will help to find the solution. I think my son has dyslexia. They think he also may have it. He’s in 5th grade. They are also to look out and see if they have noticed anything off. Like my son will write and do things backwards. He always had that issue. So they brought it up to me as I did them. He still does it. They can do things too at school, it’s not just us parents to find anything wrong.

My daughter started 6th grade this year and we are battling learning issues as well. I know the feeling. It sucks, I feel like I also failed her because why did it take until she was in 6th grade to see that she doesn’t just struggle, that there are deeper issues. Just know that you are doing your best Momma and things will get better now that the issues are seen and people are aware! You’re doing great!

5 Likes

How did you not see it yourself?
We as parents should be the first ones to see it. Don’t blame others when you didn’t see it yourself.

4 Likes

It’s our job to push for what we see in our children.

I knew my son needed to be on a IEP (Independent education plan) in kindergarten. They don’t usually test for one until they’re a grade or two behind.

I wasn’t willing to let my son get behind. When he is struggling already.

Push for what your child needs

2 Likes

Legally, the teachers can’t suggest things like that.
As the parent, YOU are your childs first teacher, therefore YOU should have noticed first that there were struggles.

9 Likes

I just seen this thought it would be helpful :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Thats mainly the parent’s job to speak up first on what they notice at home, questions grades and levels. Teachers are not doctors, however is a parent ask us if we notice we can respond with what we’ve seen.

24 Likes

No because if she’s always struggled then why haven’t you done anything about it sooner? You could’ve been helping more at home since you now think your capable of homeschooling. You could’ve gotten her extra help. As the parent it’s your responsibility to help your child. Good luck homeschooling.

22 Likes

You also missed it…for 6 years. They had 20 kids in a class and you had her.

16 Likes

No, you are the one to initiate those type of things. I had my son tested in 2nd grade and it turns out he has ADHD he passed their tests and then I took him to get evaluated and he has ADHD. after getting him into a great routine things are better.

12 Likes

Unpopular Opinion

It’s YOUR job to catch things like that. They have 20+ kids every single day, and with them while they’re trying to do a million other things they’re responsible for during the school day. You’re one on one. I think the better question is…. Why haven’t YOU noticed and reached out. Teachers aren’t doctors, they can’t diagnose. They didn’t fail your child, you did. Take responsibility and do the best you can now.

4 Likes

It’s not just the teacher’s job to make sure your child learns. If you knew she was not doing well you should have brought it up to them and ask for extra help and possibly gotten her into classes that could specialize in what she was lacking.

1 Like

We had teachers adamantly tell us our son was a “covid kid” and would catch up just fine. He in fact had a learning disability and is now on an iep and thriving.

1 Like

It’s never a teachers responsibility in my opinion. They have a classroom between 15 to 25 students (district depending) and they can only do so much. It literally would be physically impossible to give each student an extra 5 minutes of private instruction. This is the downfall when it comes to public education. Now, I do homeschool but, I always say homeschool, private, public, cyber,etc. it’s THE PARENTS responsibility to advocate and be involved in their child’s education. I know too many parents that don’t even know how their children are doing academically until that report card comes in the mail or don’t even care to look at their child’s homework let alone the school curriculum.

The most successful public school students. “The smart kids” didn’t have rich parents. They had parents who gave a shit.

I’m not saying this to belittle you or offend you. I do not know you, i don’t know your life or what you’ve been through. It’s just simply how I approach education.

Not everyone has the privilege to homeschool. I know I’m very lucky and privileged in my personal situation. However, I would be actively involved in any type of education my children were apart of.

Advocate for your child and do what’s best. You got this!

80 Likes

You are the parent.
It’s up to you to question them and see if teachers have concerns.

19 Likes

So this happened in reverse for me. Teachers don’t diagnose issues. They request that an IEP is done and this is done at a center ran by the school district. When my son was 5, they thought he was on the slower end. Never said those words but implied he wasn’t doing well in class. The school asked the IEP center to test my son. He turned out to have an IQ of 140 at the age of 5. His school work changed and so did his class room issues. He’s now in 6th grade and his gifted and IEP classes have helped so much. I would see about testing her. See where she may be lacking and where she is great. It helped my kid a lot.

1 Like

This is so my situation with our oldest daughter. We struggled with her as well. We tried home schooling and looking into ways to help her. We did find out that she did fall in the cracks and was way behind in her learning skills. Instead of a junior level last year we found out she is at a freshman learning skill level. She does have learning disabilities but the school did not help us. She ended up dropping out. She should have been a senior this year. We are working on her GED options now. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

I knew my grandson had some sort of learning problem. I volunteered a lot at his school. One day I asked the teacher what she thought of my observation. Her exact words were “oh I’m so glad you noticed I was nervous about saying something to the parents”. I think most teachers are hesitant to say anything now days. Parents can be very confrontational. We finally were able to get him tested & got a diagnosis. Good luck.

14 Likes

You have to have her diagnosed in order to be places in special ed or have a iep

1 Like

Teachers have alot to do every day but I my kids take several classes either different teacher per class so I know the original first one or homeroom would have time to. Honestly do what you have to for your kids! My son was bullied by a kid and he came home telling me about it and when I asked teachers they said “we are handling it” but it wasn’t til I told the kids mom abt him doing what he said that it stopped. So no some teachers don’t always do the right thing in my opinion. I wish we could see into the classroom to see our kids too

You definitely have to advocate for your child, it is not the teachers job to do this.

My youngest daughter has an IEP. I had to advocate for her, get her tested, and talk openly & honestly with the teachers and the school about what’s going on with her learning disabilities, how they can help her, medical diagnosis etc. This way the teachers and the school can adequately help her. This is how that works. You honestly can’t blame just the teachers on this.

2 Likes

I had to finally get the school board involved because the school/teachers would tell me during IEP meetings he was struggling and wouldn’t pass. He scored borderline on the IEP testing so, due to scoring borderline he didn’t qualify for extra help. 3 IEP meetings went like this so I called the the board of education and explained what was going on so they sent someone to sit in on his 3rd IEP meeting and seen he needed the extra help and from that day on he got the extra help he needed.

Not trying to be hateful but as a parent it’s our responsibility to catch that too and fight for our kids.
I would talk to the counselor and come up with a plan your child just needs assistance and don’t want her to dislike school to soon. Make the change now
I struggling all Though school until I understood how I learned, didn’t figure that out till college.

16 Likes

It is ultimately the parents responsibility to see to it that their children get the education they need. It always begins at home. Blaming the teachers now will not change anything. Take charge and move forward.

2 Likes

6 years of school and you’re just now thinking she might have a learning problem? It’s our jobs as parents too, to pay attention. I have a 6 year old in 1st grade and noticed a few months later that he was struggling in school. He is still struggling. School is doing an assessment to see if there is a learning problem. Also if a teacher notices or suspect something is wrong it is their job to notify parents, but in this case it’s been 6 years and it’s not all on just the teachers.

2 Likes

Overall it is your responsibility as a parent to notice these things and speak to a doctor if you feel something more is going on, or even just to check for peace of mind.
Teachers aren’t medical professionals. I’m sure they made you aware of your child’s learning struggles over the years and you would have seen her grades and her frustration with it all yourself.
Its not fair to blame the teachers. The most important thing is to get your daughter in to get something figured out for her now and maybe some extra tutoring a few days a week to catch up. I personally wouldn’t pull my child out of public school it’s more than just learning it’s for social skills as well

6 Likes

As a former teacher, I can see both sides. I appreciate your concern, as a mom myself, but I also know from personal experience how difficult it is as a teacher to get any “special” services. Teachers are required to try any and all interventions before an IEP is even considered. And legally, they can’t say to you “hey, I think your child needs special education”. It doesn’t work like that.

10 Likes

They are required by Law to find and evaluate. Get an advocate

I mean as the parent you could have contacted her doctor to set up a psych evaluation? Or spoke to the principle or support person for advice? We have to be our children’s advocates. You cannot blame the teachers. I wouldn’t pull her from school as she would miss out on socialization and important milestones and experiences that come with being in school with peers but to each their own

1 Like

You’re the parent!you should get help! Cant tell you how many times teachers are verbally attacked when they mention the sight hint that there is an issue, threatened to be sued. If you knew you child was struggling, you should have done something . You failed her mom!

1 Like

Most schools will not do anything unless the parents bring it up so maybe they were just waiting for you to bring it up … thats how it is in both school districts iv lived in

2 Likes

Teachers can’t suggest a diagnosis of anything. It’s honestly up to parents to advocate for their kids. Parents have to request the testing themselves, teachers can only hint in that direction

13 Likes

I’ve always thought as a parent it’s your responsibility. Do you not do homework with her or see her grades? If a kid is failing usually the parent should notice and ask questions. I held my son back in first grade because the school was going to send him to second grade not knowing how to read. Like at all. Got him an IEP and now he’s in fifth and thriving. Might be an unpopular opinion but if you didn’t notice in six years that she’s not meeting her milestones/academic expectations YOU failed your daughter.

1 Like

We go to a great school and they will bring up any behavior or learning issues immediately

I did hsve to fight for my youngest this year for more help we do homework every night but numberlines we just fight I brought it up to his teacher she said she’ll work eith him I expressed I feel like he needs itp like his brother I got no answer so I went to the principal

Gkad u found out but actually u should have realized it before her teachers

They can’t. I asked my sons teacher if he needed to be tested she said they can’t recommend it because they aren’t professionals.

But in all honesty, you missed it too. You knew your daughter was struggling and didn’t reach out until this point.

4 Likes

Teachers aren’t doctors and while you wish they said something some parents would lose their minds if a teacher insinuated something was wrong with their child in any capacity. At the end of the day they still have 20-30 other kids to take care of as well.

31 Likes

You know your child (or should) more than anyone. I feel like this doesn’t fall on the teachers at all…but I know it’s easier to blame someone else. 6yrs old is not too late to get help. BUT GET IT NOW. ASAP. bring everything up to her Dr. See what resources are available.

2 Likes

You live with your child. YOU are responsible to teach them, teachers are not replacements. It is your responsibility as a parent to reach out with concerns, or to simply ask questions. Teachers can’t do it all. You owe it to your child.

The school doesn’t usually bring it up that I’ve heard. Specific teachers May communicate to you that your child is struggling and why. But unless there are some pretty severe behavioral issues or your child is in 6th grade reading at a kindergarten level (just an example but that goes for any skill they may be very very far behind in) they generally leave it to the parent.

I know that sounds silly. But schools also have gotten in trouble for “picking on” children for even suggesting delays or disabilities or behavioral issues. It’s definitely a hard situation.

That’s why it’s our jobs as parents to be proactive and advocate for our children. I personally wouldn’t pull her from school yet. I’d get her to her doctor, go over the issues and have her evaluated, and then get with the school and make a plan for her. If the school isn’t able to meet her needs then yes pull her out. Otherwise you may be setting her back further and causing her more issues with all the sudden change

17 Likes

Shame on the teachers, and great for home schooling. GOOD LUCK/

6 Likes

You’re her parents and it’s absolutely dumbfounding to me you think her teachers failed her. They legally are not allowed to diagnose and can only bring so much up. As a parent if you ask more questions they’re allowed to be support for you and your primary care physician and any other support you then choose for your child. It’s up to you to push for evaluations and extra support and to provide what you need to for her outside of school. They’re one person to many many students all of which have different needs and different abilities. I think taking a second to step back and see what you as her parent can do is a better approach then trying to place blame everywhere else. You’ve realized some extra support is needed, now make that happen. You can’t rewind time and placing blame on a teacher or yourself won’t change it. It’s can be an uphill battle getting her where she needs to be academically, but it’ll be a lot easier if you don’t go in blaming others.

2 Likes

I had to bring it up to my child’s school, he got tested, and he got the IEP he needed after I tried to homeschool and just didn’t have the correct tools to teach him the way he needed to be taught (I homeschooled when covid hit) … The school system can identify the problem and fix it pretty quickly, mine went from being in the 3rd grade reading at a kindergarten level to now being in the 5th and being advanced in everything.

3 Likes

I think everyone is afraid of legal issues. Too many people are offended about every little thing. Teachers have their hands bound in everything they do. They work so hard trying to teach our children. They are basically raising them for 7 hours a day. Please don’t blame them. You have also missed it. As a parent you should know your child better than anyone.

4 Likes

You knew your child was struggling why did you allow it to go on for so long. You are your child’s voice, you should have advocated for her. The teacher is only one person and they have up to 30 children in a class you can’t blame them for something you failed at.

2 Likes

My kids teachers brought it up with me with both of them and have said they will continue to keep an eye on my other kids incase they feel they are struggling and anything else arises for them.

She is 6 how soon do you want to believe she has a disability or could it be that her little 6 year old brain just needs time to develop. I feel like you hinder your children when we go straight to learning disabilities instead of learning how they learn and what works best for your child. Open an iep get the extra help many kids need but I’d hold off of labeling your child with a disability so early.

Schools are so inconsiderate these days. Home school is probably best for her.

2 Likes

Teachers are not doctors and they don’t necessarily have what you want them to have.

5 Likes

You need to speak with someone that can diagnose etc. And then go to the school to see what support they can offer

So my husband is a teacher and I can tell you he has been verbally attacked and treated very badly by parents of students who are struggling, for just suggesting that there might be deeper issues or asking if they’ve been assessed for learning disabilities. He learned the hard way early on that some parents would rather ignore issues than accept their child is somehow different or could use more support. It’s sad but the teachers might not be comfortable being the first person to bring up an issue.

8 Likes

The school doesn’t diagnose your child. Any learning disability should be addressed and dealt with by doctors. Then a plan with doctors and school to help child will be addressed. Like an IEP for that child that the parent is also a major contributor. It’s a group effort, mainly started at home. You wouldn’t want your school prescribing meds either would you ?

Me as a parent I wouldn’t have waited 6 yrs .
It is our job as parents to give our children what they need such as getting them professional help if needed .
People need to stop blaming others and take accountability

We love homeschool. My 8 yr old has dyslexia and adhd and when we looked at everything the school wrote positive or negative, the results were disheartening to say the least. With homeschool it’s engaging, safe, encouraging and he can be multi level in structure with 2nd grade writing, while 4th grade science and he now sets up his small pokemon card trading business at local events, life skills! This bucket represents what the school poured into my child. Green positive feedback and red the collective negative feedback from every area of the school he stepped into from morning waits to cafeteria to playground to classes. They changed him but I have him back again.

The teachers are caught up and get hands tied by the school district and their policies. It comes down to funding and it’s hard to get them to “recognize your child’s needs,” because they are legally responsible to do testing, and they don’t like to do that if they don’t absolutely have to. Especially if your child’s need isn’t severe or very obvious. I have heard with my own ears more than once discussions about certain students that needed testing, interventions, or special placement etc. I’ve also heard from principals, and district staffers mouths that a certain student needs these things, but they’d like to save and utilize these resources for a more severe student. So the student(s) that are recognized to have needs don’t get the help or interventions they need incase someone worse comes along!? This is why it’s so important for parents and caregivers to stay involved, stay vigilant, advocate for your children, and don’t be afraid to come off as a pest when necessary! It’s your loved one that will suffer or benefit from your choice to do so or not.
Also, look in to and hire an advocate in your area. It make a world of difference. They have the knowledge and understanding of this on a level that the majority of us parents don’t have. The verbiage and policies and they are aware of rights and responsibilities, resources we may not even understand or know about.
And it gets overwhelming when it’s just you at a table with several “team members” all talking.
Do your research to choose a good one you’re comfortable with.

This is what makes me mad…your the parent you should have notice. Failing grades having trouble with homework and reading things. Some of this is the teachers job, but it’s your too. I had a son like this an help from teachers. I had to take his education in my hands and get him the help he needed. I did not wait for anyone to tell me what I knew about him. So if your mad at anyone be mad at yourself for not helping her. So the school has failed her and as a parent so have you. Thames part in the blame.

3 Likes

You can still do something to help her. My husband struggled through all years of school and wasn’t diagnosed until he was in college with dyslexia. Do what you can to intervene. Get her a tutor.

It’s your job as a parent to advocate for the child not the schools or teachers.

1 Like

The teachers should have brought it up. Thankfully our school did bring it up to me and he has an IEP for reading and math.

Were you attending parent teacher meetings? The meetings are a great opportunity to ask questions or voice concerns.

When my sons grades were going down I contacted the teacher that he had for that class and they were so helpful and we figured out what we can do to help him. Communication is key with teachers. They have so much on their plate with all the kids they have to keep up with.

In my opinion, when you doing home work with your child,do you not notice the struggle, just asking!

4 Likes

Wow, as a parent you didn’t notice in 6 years that you child struggled in school? Did you do homework with your child? My mother in law was a teacher so it must start at home not 6 years later.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the teachers failed her. Many actions were missed. Parents are just as important in a child’s educational success as a teacher. Pointing blame won’t do you any good. But finding resources to help her now, will. I am not a teacher. I have struggled with some teachers even though my son does have a diagnosis, but to say every teacher she’s had failed her would be unfair. Make some positive steps now and teach her to regain her confidence while helping her towards success. I know it’s hard to see our own faults sometimes, but as parents, WE are our child’s biggest advocate. And teachers are freaking gold gems when they’re there for the right reason. I hope you find some great support resources!

2 Likes

Disheartening to see so many rude comments. I myself thought that if there was a learning disability, the school would suggest resources but they don’t. They didn’t even offer or explain such as the 504 plan or an IEP. My child wasn’t even allowed into a math group for help in math. When I asked for help the teacher rudely replied “you mean special ed?” They say they meet every child where they are at, regardless of disability, all children get the same education. But its not true. If it were, then my child would be in the math group getting help. When I began to suspect that something could be wrong, I got them into counseling to further evaluate and seek resources but when I brought up specific diagnosis I was then told that they don’t do any type of evaluation or referral for an actual diagnosis. So we are just now starting an actual assessment for a diagnosis. Even with a diagnosis I’m not sure that there are really services available. The school system motto is “meet them where they are at” but they are not meeting the student where they are at. They get left behind and the parent is blamed. It’s a system designed to make you think you failed. You did not fail. It’s a system that has failed .

Not sure where your from but my sons teachers have always been amazing and picked up on his autism and educated themselves and got the tools to help him be his best self and make school a better environment for him. They’ve always had his back and aided us when we needed it. We are in NZ

The blame for this would have to be shared.

It would fall on both you and the school system.

If both past and present teachers have noticed that your child is struggling in school and they haven’t reached out to set up any meetings to try and get a plan in place to help her - they failed.

If you have allowed her to struggle for SIX years and you haven’t reached out to the school to set up any meetings to try and get a plan in place to help per - you failed.

1 Like

The teachers deffinitly should have brought it up. Most diagnosis come once kids are in school and doing work, socialising and have routine!.

So you know she’s been struggling but never thought to advocate for her? I’m confused.

My daughter in Scotland has a boy with auditory processing problems and it is recognized by teachers and private testing- but never been able to get him tested and they wouldn’t take the private testing - grrrr

Legally schools have to be careful about making “diagnostic assumptions” as it could be misconstrued as labeling. They can mention the child’s behavior but they are not supposed to assume a disability if the pediatrician has not already indicated as such. Im sorry your struggling and I imagine the teachers have also felt at a loss with their limited scope. Definitely take this back to your pediatrician as that is the one most qualified to handle the concerns.

26 Likes

This is pretty widespread imho. I was failed. My parents were failed. My kids, despite my best, vigorous advocacy, were egregiously failed.

They’ve broken the Ed system.

Get a lawyer - if these instructors did not refer her and they all knew it - you have a court case against the school & district. Get her tested asap to find out what her disability are and start researching techniques to assist her in her education. Find out her “ learning style” - auditory, visual or hands on a pursue resources to help her and help you understand how she learns.

I homeschool because they push for these IEP’s for funding but they don’t follow it. It’s just to keep them from looking bad. A parent should not have to beg or write them a letter to be included in your child’s education.

As a parent, YOU are your child’s advocate in the world, not their teachers. Your child’s well-being and upbringing is YOUR responsibility. The teachers are there to help but, ultimately, it’s up to the parent.

If you only just said something it’s a you problem. My son’s needed help since he was a toddler (speech therapy) he has adhd EHCP etc, I spoke up, I contacted the Dr’s, I spoke to the school, I put things in place to help MY CHILD. It is a parent’s responsibility. Why not say something 6yrs ago? Seems like a cop out trying to blame the teachers who are over worked and underpaid now.

1 Like

I think they are supposed to help. Some schools are better than others

How did teachers notice but you didn’t? Don’t blame the teachers.

As a teacher. It’s hard to concentrate on one kid when our classroom has 25+. You the parent are with your kids more then we are and from past experiences the parents don’t wanna hear that their kid has (or is) a problem. Most parents honestly don’t care so we stop reporting it. It’s not our responsibility unless you bring it to our attention. Then an IEP can be created

I actually don’t think they are allowed to pinpoint or “suggest” a diagnosis on those things. Of course they can tell you how they are doing in class but not point out things they think you should do as the parent. Imagine being on the other end of it with that parent who’s offended the teacher suggested something is wrong with their child in that manner… just food for thought.

I would start by asking the teacher how my child is doing and if my child needs extra help like tutors, ask what can you do at home to help at home, look into extra education support, extra classes. I think parents and teachers should be communicating at least once a week and more if there’s a problem. Parents need to pay close attention to their children because teachers have 20 to 30 kids to help. Kids who need help do fall through the cracks especially if the parents don’t advocate for them. Go over the teacher to the administration and counselors they have teams of people outside of the teachers to help children with learning disabilities. Go to your local library, YMCA, church camps, science learning centers, there are so many places that help kids thrive with math, science, reading that are outside of school. It sucks they underpay teachers and overwhelmed and overload them and they begin to care less because no one above them truly cares it’s really money driven in the education system. I hope you can find the help she needs.

I mean if you as her mom didn’t bring it up either, how can you fault the teachers. Maybe they assumed you knew and didn’t want to do anything. Why did you let her struggle for 6 years and why are just the teachers to blame? Do you know how many kids the teachers have, depending what grade? I imagine if you would have went to your kids school a few years ago with concerns, they would have helped. You could have gotten your own assessment and taken it to the school. You could have called the school psychologist with concerns. There has to be some ownership of what you didn’t do also.

2 Likes

Don’t pull her from school yet, but definitely have child formally evaluated for learning disabilities. Child needs to see a pediatric psychologist that specializes in developmental disorders. Start with your daughter’s pediatrician, they will refer you to the appropriate specialist and your insurance may require a referral anyway. The school will probably put child on an individualized learning plan.

No sounds like you failed her. As the parent you are that child’s advocate. You should have noticed she has issues and is struggling and falling behind. The teachers see 14-25 students daily. Your child is yours not theirs. They should have said hey they are struggling but it should have been up to you to address an issue if there is one. Home school isn’t going to help her at this point only make her fall further behind. Stop trying to point fingers at the school not doing their job, you haven’t been doing yours!

1 Like

You failed your daughter, take your responsibility and do not blame someone else

1 Like

Your kid is your responsibility, noones failed her but you especially if you’ve noticed for some time she was struggling for SIX years and you didn’t do anything.

Teachers can initiate child find to determine if an IEP is necessary and the school can 100% reach out to the parents and begin this process. They just don’t want to because they lack resources and they’d rather push kids through and ignore the issue if the parents don’t make a fuss. It is absolutely their job and they’re not doing it but it’s the school administrators that foster this kind of culture because they have to keep everything in budget. The schools are literally failing our kids and it’s become this way because the schools are underfunded.

Why would we underfund schools? It’s done on purpose in an effort to privatize education and make it make a profit (for someone already richer than god). You know, since it’s working out so well for our healthcare in this country. Make sure you’re voting for people who actually want to fund social programs since our schools are part of that.

Talk about zero accountability
You’re literally blaming them for not taking action when YOU should’ve done it years ago yourself
It’s your job not theirs

Yes it is their job to communicate anything that relates to the child’s learning. They are supposed to be educated in detecting learning disabilities, so that the student can get the support they need. Unfortunately the system is broken, and so many children fall into the cracks unnoticed, or teachers are too worn out or don’t have the time to do anything above the bare minimum required of them.

You are making the right choice to homeschool.

My daughter is in the 5th grade and it wasn’t until this year that we were able to find someone that accepts our insurance to test her. She has ADHD and dyslexia. This on top of her being legally blind in her left eye. Her left eye is so bad, that her brain literally shuts that eye down and won’t see through it unless her right eye is covered. There are things that pop up over time or become more significant after a different diagnosis has been assessed and given. We thought everything was due to her being partially blind, but it wasn’t. She was in speech therapy and play therapy when she was in head start and discharged before kindergarten. Her eyes were diagnosed after several years and a corrective surgery. She had tubes in her ears for 2 years which explained why she needed speech therapy because everything she heard before the tubes was muffled.

All of this is to say that us as a group jumping to conclusions and condemning her for “not noticing sooner” isn’t helpful. My daughter is still awaiting test results at 11 years old. We don’t know what, if anything she has done or not done, just what she’s posted. She may have noticed that her daughter was learning slower, but since it was never brought up to her as a concern, never thought that it was as bad as it is. You are your child’s strongest, and often, only advocate. Never stop pushing for answers and asking questions. Best of luck for you and your daughter.

Me don has iron they pull him out of class for extra help but the teacher can’t give that much extra attention on s class full of students extra help at home is important I always ask my boys teachers what are they hdving issues with that week and we work it

You blaming the teachers but you yourself didn’t catch it…

1 Like