I feel like my MIL tries to take my place: Thoughts?

she means you no disrespect or harm, let her love them , spoil them, but you are the one they call mom and you are the one they go home with, you are the one they count on. So don’t let this hurt you and MIL relationship nor the kids relationship with her. She is lonely and bored most likely . some day you will be in her shoes remember this. Life is to short to let something like this piss you off . we have bigger fish to fry trying to keep them all safe and healthy and happy. Share that need with the family as one unit. Love mom mom b

Yes Im going through this too. My MIL has my daughter çall her mom and if she’s around I have no say in anything my daughter does. It’s very frustrating so I understand.

My mother in law I’m sure considers my kids as her babies because well they are her sons children I have no doubt she loves them and wants to protect them but as parents ultimately we have final say and we have to make that known

My parents refer to my daughters and nieces as their girls. Technically they are, I don’t feel that’s acting like they are their children.

My mil is a bit like this and even tells me things about my own kids which I of course already know as I’m there mother. I use to let it get to me. But my kids know I’m there mum and I recently learnt if its not going to be a big deal in a year let it go.

I sways say my baby’s about not oily my grands but also my great grands . I even look when my daughter or granddaughter put up pics and say I love my babies I say you mean our babies and lol. But they know I’m kidding. Talk to your mil. And let her know where she is over stepping. I’m sure she doesn’t realize it . And it’s just trying to help . A little polite talk usually goes a long way . And lord smooth out the ruffled feathers

It’s a blessing to have a MIL that cares. Many grandchildren do not have extended family so you may consider adjusting your thoughts and appreciate the love and concern.

My grandkids are my boys and my girls to me it just means I love them like my own! But I definitely don’t step on momma’s toes either

Umm no. Sounds like she is a caring lady. Why on earth would you say she is trying to take your place? They ARE her girls. It’s not at all the same relationship you have with them. If I were you I would thank the lady. Jeez.

I call my sister’s girls my babies or my girls all the time… My sister does it with my daughter as well and most likely will with my son… But I also call my sister my girl/baby as well…

its a term most nans use nothing is meant by it so i wouldn’t look for problems that are not there

I think you have issues and see all women as competition.

2 Likes

I mean they are her grandkids so they are her girls too. Get over yourself.

3 Likes

Never… the bond she has with your children is priceless!!!

2 Likes

Ouch… I like to think of my baby grands the same. We know they aren’t our children…

1 Like

I refer to my kids and grandkids “my kids.” I have a wonderful relationship with my in-law-kids. If you have a good relationship with your MIL, don’t let it go.

We’re going to put that she just want you to know that she loves your children very very much

You have to set boundaries!

Yeah thats a hell no.

Lay down the law. Your kids. Your decisions.

Sorry not today boo boo

Just remember that someday all you will have are memories.

I call my granddaughters “my girls” I also call their mom, my bonus daughter, my girl too. She doesn’t seem to have a problem with it but I also make it a point to emphasize that I am Grandma and that they look just like their mama. Now if your MIL is calling herself mama then I’d definitely see a red flag. However, she may not realize what she’s doing is troubling to you, I’d say something to her about it a concerning way not in an accusing way.

Dearly Mom please block this negative non contributor:

I call my nephews my boys…doesnt mean I’m replacing their mom or trying too.
They’re her grandbabies, why is this offensive.
Dont sweat the small stuff…

Ohhhh fucken birth doers… every single female is born with an evolutionary capability of raising young. If not, humanity would not have survived. Goats, pigs, cows, mammals etc can raise a baby. Interracial and interspecies. Sounds bad? Look that shit up. You’re not special, if you can’t do it, you’re not bad either. Probably just more genetically advanced so your body and nature know there’s no point in breeding.

Fuck yes. Anytime she calls she instantly says “ where’s my baby” and doesn’t even ask about her own son. And to make matters worse, he’s half black/half white and she completely ignores that he’s white and just pretends he’s black. She’s an amazing woman but she’s mad annoying