I got in a fight with my family and now I don't want them to come thanksgiving: Advice?

So long story short because of my four year old my dog got pregnant, and we had an accidental litter of puppies (the spay appointment was literally two weeks away when she went into heat and got pregnant). My mother in law decided she wanted one of our puppies. Seeing as we only care about them going to a good home, we gave her a pick of the litter, and she couldn’t choose between our two male pups. So once the puppies were weaned enough to be away from their mother for a bit, we drove over (2 hrs away) and let her see them. The puppies were six weeks old at this point. There was a large family get together, everyone enjoyed seeing the puppies, and my MIL picked one out. Well… Here is where the problem starts. My father in law believes that puppies can be separated from their mom at six weeks. All the research I’ve is done, breeders I’ve talked to, and even the state law says puppies need to be with their mom for eight weeks minimum. I insisted that they could have him at eight weeks and that I would not let it leave at 6 (which she knew before we brought the pups down). By the end of the night, my FIL screamed at me, and it ended with “take your stupid f-ing dog and get the F out you reed loud mouth b**.” And he stormed out. Since then he sent a half-ass apology to my husband saying that he is sorry he caused me to yell at him for it, which I didn’t do, and that he can stop helping him with his side business that we have been spending our own money and sacrificed literally every weekend to drive over to help with. When my husband replied that he wasn’t the one he should be apologizing to and that he will not stand for me to be talked to that way, we have heard absolutely nothing from them until today. My MIL, who was there, saw the whole thing happened, and actually agreed with my FIL, is wanting us to come to Thanksgiving. Is it petty or wrong to say no? At this point I’m not even wanting to give them the pup simply because they reacted like that over two weeks. I don’t want to be around them as this isn’t the first problem I’ve had with my FIL, and my husband is done with me being disrespected when he isn’t around.

69 Likes

I prefer keeping the pups with litter mates till 12 weeks

7 Likes

So then tell them you want to do Thanksgiving with Judy your husband. And those pups. You don’t have to get along with your families. Is it toxic to you? If the answer is yes, then dump them.

2 Likes

Wow! You are definitely right about eight weeks. And screw them. It’s not serious enough to start that type of fight and say such ridiculous things.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go to thanksgiving with them or give them a puppy

23 Likes

8wks is still so young. I cant help but compare them to human babies at their corresponding age stages. Also heck no dont go to Thanksgiving over there! The way that psycho spoke to you is horrendous.

4 Likes

You are not being petty! Stay home or do something you enjoy for the day. I’d keep the puppy too :innocent:.

4 Likes

Hell no … I’m confused, how did the dog get preg because if your 4 yr old

5 Likes

Nope don’t go. My husbands father laid into me one day for the stupidest of reason. That was probably 1.5 years ago and I refuse to go to their home for holidays. And since I’ve never received an apology my husband doesn’t either.

7 Likes

Don’t go. Simple as that. You’re an adult, those are your puppies.

7 Likes

Don’t go, everything is still hot. Time will tell if everything will be okay again.

5 Likes

You shouldn’t have taken the pup down there until it was old enough to give away… yes you should go to Thanksgiving. They’re your family and this is petty. Give them the pup at 8 weeks… apologize sincerely and move on… damn. :expressionless:

I wouldn’t go and I wouldn’t even give them the puppy. Disrespect does not get rewarded. In Laws or not, you have to take a stand for yourself and it sounds like your husband is willing to as well. Have your own Thanksgiving :wink:

10 Likes

Personally, i wouldn’t go unless they both admitted they were wrong and apologized appropriately. If you Ali it they will jyst keep doin it.

3 Likes

Yeahhh 8 weeks is definitely better for the puppy AND just bc he disnt get his way he has to act like a child. Bye felicia. No one wants ur half ass pathetic attempt at an apology and not even to the person you owe the apology too.

Not to sound rude, but don’t blame your kid for your dog getting pregnant, that’s on you, you’re the adult who should be watching both of them, as for Thanksgiving, I’d give it a miss, and do your own thing, they sound horrible, would not give them a pup either if they have a tantrum when they dont get what they want. :smirk:

13 Likes

I wouldn’t give an innocent puppy to someone with a short temper like that!!!

8 Likes

I’d say no. No shame.

not petty at all… no puppy no thanksgiving … drama free

9 Likes

I would say get fucked lol I’m petty and I value my worth more

Heck no… don’t go! Enjoy your holiday. No reason to be around them if they are disrespecting you. Especially since they haven’t even really apologized directly to you.

1 Like

Don’t give them the dog and tell them you aren’t going. No one should speak to you like that or treat you that esp over a dog and two weeks. If you need, separate your selves from them for a while and let them figure out how they were wrong and come to y’all with an apology that they actually mean.

3 Likes

Your husband is backing you up and that’s awesome. Don’t go.

11 Likes

I wouldnt go it shows them it really hurt you the way they acted

1 Like

Well thank goodness you have a husband who stands up for you! I see so many posts with women who’s husbands don’t! And I wouldn’t go either after being yelled at over something so ridiculous. What was 2 more weeks to wait versus the pup potentially dying without the mom! Stay home and enjoy your own family until they can act like adults!

1 Like

Throw your family away over puppies? Priorities. The invite is their olive branch. Some people are too immature to apologize properly. Other people are too immature because the apology wasn’t good enough. The truth lies in the middle. Sounds like alcohol was involved but not mentioned possibly. Dogs come and go, family is forever.

7 Likes

I would go at all unless they both gave you a real apology and I wouldn’t give them the dog either.

That behavior is inexcusable & very disrespectful.

1 Like

Don’t go don’t let them have a puppy

7 Likes

No puppy. No Thanksgiving. He has no right to treat you like that. It is your rules. Even if it wasn’t against the law, YOU are the puppy-parent and get to make the rules as to when and who gets a pup.

8 Likes

Is it seriously THAT big of a deal? Over a PUPPY? N just an fyi, puppies CAN be seperated at 6 weeks LOL I got one at 5 weeks years ago

1 Like

Choose your battles. Forgice fir your husbands sake not your own. Obviously if the behavior continues,distant yourself. But give them a chance. Dont let something so petty come in between your man and hia family.

2 Likes

Don’t go and don’t give them the puppy; they obviously don’t have the best interest of the dog in mind. I stopped talking to my in-laws all together really it just isn’t worth the drama

I definitely wouldn’t go or give them a puppy.

No I wouldn’t go, that is a crazy reaction for something so simple. Own up to it and apologize then maybe we’ll talk kind of thing. I wouldn’t want to give them a pup either tbh. If that is how he is going to treat his DIL then how is he going to treat that puppy when it has an accident??

I love that your husband has your back! Stand your ground!

3 Likes

They are your dogs your say so! So if 8 weeks is what you decide that’s your business!!! But no I think I’d respectfully decline thanksgiving and do your own.

1 Like

First of all that psychopath would probably kill the puppy if it pees on the rug.

Second, why is this entire page nothing but posts from women who have zero respect forthemselves. You’re a goddamn grown up. Act like it. Dont associate with violent people.

7 Likes

I personally would go ober before thanksgiving and have a sit down convo. If they are not apologetic then dont go, but in the grand things of life, we all need family.

1 Like

I think the fact that he spoke to you like that, he can kiss your ass. It’s not about the dogs/thanksgiving, it’s about him speaking to you in the tone…

You are in your every right to not wanting them there! Stand ur ground girl!!

I’d honestly show up to TG for the food, but forget about giving them the dog and find a better fit to rehome it.

I’ve cut family out of my life for much less… Screw anybody who makes you feel bad. Period.

1 Like

8 weeks. They learn social cues etc from the mom. I agree with you on that point. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’ve always let our pupoues go at 6 wks first off, but I just go and try to put it behind you. Life is to short to hold a grudge. They are your husbands parents. Everyone makes mistakes

3 Likes

You answered your own question with your last couple of sentences. And i am going to assume you’re questioning your feelings on this because you (like most of us wives), don’t want to cause waves and make things “worse” for hubby and family etc., if you’re feeling uncomfortable and being that your FIL totally disrespected you as he did, don’t go. I’d wait to see how things are by Christmas. If your emotions are still raw then the time isn’t right. Don’t go just to keep peace, save face or appease anyone - family or not. I don’t play that game and neither does my husband. We always say our “core” is first and foremost which is myself, hubby and our daughters. Have a nice little Thanksgiving with your little family. Let time pass and by then you’ll be able to more clearly process your feelings and emotions and proceed in a calm and mature way with your in-laws if that is something you decide you want to do. Lastly, I am surprised your husband didn’t step in when his father was disrespecting you that way. Mine wouldn’t put up with that and i wouldn’t put up with it from any of my family either. Good luck!

They could apologize 10 times ( which I know they didn’t) but I still wouldn’t go. That’s total loss of control and utter disrespect period !! And every time your in there turf your putting yourself in a position to be s Target again… They clearly already don’t like you to begin with to just be able to blatantly talk to you in that manner. So BIG FAT NO… FROM ME!!! Dont Ever Subject yourself to that ever again, they “One day” after apologizing and a chill time… want to come on your house to ( see the grandchildren etc) then that’s your turf and you don’t have to take it Nor will your husband allow it… So keep it on your own grounds…

1 Like

That’s a long story cut short?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t give them a dog or a seat at my table. Easy as that.

4 Likes

Your dog got pregnant because of the adults in the home not because a 4 year old. But anyway, at the end of the day the puppies are yours. When you feel it’s safe for them to leave mom is when they leave mom. Shame on your FIL and MIL. I can see why you feel the way you do and I wouldn’t give them the time of day. I’m sure this really hurt you and I would make it clear.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go and I wouldn’t give them the puppy either…

On a side note… I don’t want to add jest to your stressful situation, but… I’m far more curious about HOW your four year old caused your dog’s pregnancy! :joy:

2 Likes

I mean maybe start with not blaming your 4 year old for your dog getting pregnant?

7 Likes

If it was me, I would let them know that until a proper apology is made, they are not welcome, nor are they getting a puppy.

Stand your ground. It’s not ok for him to treat anyone that way over any situation. He’s out of line. My FIL has treated me in a similar way and I refuse to allow it anymore because my kids will not learn it’s ok to treat others that way and I respect myself to not be treated that way by anyone.

It is NOT ok for him to speak to you that way. Totally unacceptable . I think you
Are owed more than an apology.

I want to know how it was your 4 year olds fault the dog got pregnant

10 Likes

I say get tf away from them and f them on the puppy, be afraid what that asshole would do when he gets mad at it

How did your 4 year old get your dog pregnant?

9 Likes

Wait, did you just blame your 4 year old for your dog getting pregnant??

12 Likes

How the hell did a 4 year old cause a dog to get pregnant lmfao, what kind of black magic shit is that :joy:

We got our dog, pit pull rotti mix at 6 weeks old. It was eating on its own. Best dog we ever had. Had him till he was 15 years old. I have given away kittens at 6 weeks that are eating on there own… acually yes they say that you should keep the babies with there mom till 8 weeks but if there eating on there own and not drinking her milk they can go at 6 weeks, and with dogs expecially bigger breeds it’s better as I found they where better dogs, more socialize and better tempered if I got them at 6 instead of 8. But it’s your choice. However I’m confused on how it’s a 4 year Olds fault why your dog got pregnant. But as for fil I. Wouldn’t go.

1 Like

I feel like both of you need to put your foot down that you shall never be yelled at what so ever like that. Hes a child with a tantrum. Didn’t get his way and threw one.

You need to put ur boundaries now before you have children or it will get worse.

1 Like

It’s not petty at all and I’m glad your husband stood up for you. I wouldn’t go to Thanksgiving and I wouldn’t give them the puppy. FIL said to take your dog, right? MIL backed him up, you owe them nothing. And if they want you to attend any family gatherings he knows what he needs to do. Stand your ground, you deserve respect and an apology. No excuses. THEY need to come to you, not the other way around. Accepting the invite, which I assume is because she’s hoping for the puppy, will only make them think all is well and forgotten.
However, just a side note, blaming your 4 year old is not ok. It’s an adult’s job to prevent unnecessary and unwanted breeding, a 4 year old has no control nor responsiblity over it.

2 Likes

Hell no i wouldn’t go. He had not right to speak to you like that. For any reason. Its 2 weeks, not 2 years. FIL needs to grow the hell up.

1 Like

Puppies should ALWAYS stay with mom til 8 weeks. They learn valuable social lessons in those last few weeks from mom. Its NOT about whether they eat on their own or not.

3 Likes

This is really your issue? Over some damn dogs? Your whole family and you gonna be petty foe thansgiving over some dogs? Be glad you have family.everybody needs to apologize and enjoy the damn turkey.

I wouldn’t give them that dog! You’re not obligated to go

1 Like

Don’t give them a dog, and say we have other plans for Thanksgiving this year. They will get over it. If they don’t… they don’t care. No matter what family should be there, and forgive.

1 Like

You’re fully in the right. No one who treats you with such disrespect should be welcome in your home. Nor should you put yourself in his line of abuse by going to his house.
Hell. Flippin. NO!.
Until you get a sincere face to face apology from him, I would literally cut all ties with the MIL and FIL, if I were in your shoes.

1 Like

Come on people common sense… The dog is four years old… they dont have a child. (not one that was mentioned)

2 Likes

Dont go have your own happy Thanksgiving…you dont want to show you kids that kind of disrespectful the FIL showed you.

Your 4 y/o must have accidentally let the dog out. It happens. Not their fault. But anyways, I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of showing up for Thanksgiving, especially if your FIL speaks to you like that. Also if he speaks to you that way and the MIL allows it how will they treat the puppy if it has an accident and pees on the floor? No show for the Holiday and no puppy. Find the little guy a better and more stable environment.

3 Likes

No thanksgiving with them. No puppy for them. I’d wash my hands until the sincerest apologize has been made.

9 Likes

Agreed, puppies should not be given away till 8 weeks, good job on that. Also hell no would I go! Until they give a decent, honest apology they can go eff themselves. That is ridiculous that they even have the balls to ask :roll_eyes:

No disrespect but REALLY, from start to finish the whole situation sounds inmature in my opinion. If the puppies are good away from the mother what’s the big deal? Not only that but are you going to not have anything to do with you MIL/FIL forever now? Come on sounds like all the adults should really get a hold on the petty drama imo

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be going to the inlaws period. That was uncalled for period.

3 Likes

I’d keep my puppy and stay home :slight_smile:

8 Likes

No you’re not being petty bc even if the pup isn’t dependent upon the mother you SHOULD NOT separate until 8wks that’s just proper procedure with rehoming puppies and he could’ve handled the situation waaaaay better than cursing you out and calling you outside your name so baby girl stand your ground and tell your husband he’s a real MVP for having your back it’s hard to find men like him nowadays

5 Likes

if they will take care of the pup.and provide a good home for it then I would still give them the pup. however I wouldn’t go to Thanksgiving until I got an apology from them. but there are so many horrible people out there that don’t deserve animals so if they will provide a good life a fight shouldn’t stop that. but you really should sit down with them and talk with them. set boundries so it doesn’t happen again. and good husband you have there sticking up for you.

1 Like

Have your own Thanksgiving! Don’t waste the day being unhappy. It’s just a date on the calendar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Long story short? Lol

1 Like

Anyone else smell the narcissism in the air?

5 Likes

Maybe something else was stressing your FIL out & he took it out on you…which IS NOT acceptable in any way. This is your husband’s parents though & right or wrong, he loves them…if your Husband could recommend he apologize to you for Family peace…& mean it…maybe consider being the bigger person? I know it’s hard…but for the sake of family, if he apologizes, I would let it go…& pray it never happens again. Good luck.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t get the pup or thanksgiving if it was me.

5 Likes

I personally would go, take the pup, enjoy thanksgiving, and not say a single word to these people lol. Like make it as awkward as humanly possible by being there. Maybe I’m wrong haha but that’s what I would do

5 Likes

Kudos to your husband for taking up for you. Just sit back, at least until you hear a heart felt apology. I wouldn’t go either, nor would I give them a puppy.

2 Likes

I couldn’t get past the “ my four year old is at fault for my dog getting pregnant” so childish, willing to bet that’s not the case, & just absurd to blame a toddler. 

2 Likes

What worries me is if the pup doesnt behave as pups dont and chews something or pees on the floor FIL will lose his temper with it. No dog for them . No way and no thanksgiving either

1 Like

No Thanksgiving or puppy until he can apologize to you. If he says he wants to do it in person, invite him over. If it’s a passive aggressive still your fault or says hes not going to, turn him away at the door

1 Like

I don’t know that I necessarily agree. I know that I’m in the minority I have famy that I don’t care for for various reasons. I have a mil that used to insult me every time my husband wasn’t around. I get it. I decided to put up with it for the sake of
my child, that loved her grandparents. Eventually the insults stopped & a relationship grew. I’m not saying he doesn’t owe you an apology, he does! Maybe inviting you over, is a way of them trying to smooth things over without saying so. It may be a generational thing. Your in laws may be stubborn & stuck in their ways.

1 Like

It someone apologized and says “I’m sorry, BUT…” That’s not an apology because they’re making am excuse for their actions that they refuse to take responsibility for. Just based on that reason alone, I’d stay home.

2 Likes

Those are your husband’s parents and he should know best and probably not the first time it has happened

They sound like irresponsible assholes and I wouldn’t trust them with my kids or dog at this point. I’d nope right the fuck out of all that mess. Have your own Thanksgiving with YOUR family, friends who respect you and pets at your home. Fuck. THAT.

Don’t give then the puppy and dont go to the dinner. Just have yourselves a dinner at your own home

1 Like

K first off- as someone who use to breed dogs 8 weeks min/ prefer 10 weeks I never let my dogs go before that point. 2 that seems like a crazy family and I wouldn’t want a pup with loonies. 3 good on your hubby for having your back on this. 4. Fuck them sideways with a cactus stay away from them. They seem off balanced and dangerously unstable. Until they apology to you properly and mean it id wouldn’t even step foot on the same property line as them, even after I’d keep my guard up.

First off I would like to say great husband sticking up for you. And second dont go, not worth the stress.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go to Thanksgiving or give them a puppy without an apology :woman_shrugging:t2: I’m also very curious how it’s your 4 year olds fault that your dog got pregnant?? :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Id let them come to see if they apolagize, and depending on how it went they might get the dog or not. You have a great husband that stands up for u like that and i really like that u put that in there :slight_smile: ive been seeing a lot of posts latley where the man doesnt stand up to his family so this is refreshing

Life is too short. Let it go and go to Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Your husband can go and you say home. :woman_shrugging: If my fil acted like that towards me he’d be cut out of my life and my husband would back me.

1 Like

If your husband is in agreement, just send them a message to say you and your family will be busy this thanksgiving…“thanks for the invite, but we won’t be in attendance.” Easy. No, you’re not obligated to give them a pup either, tell her they’ve all found good homes already.

2 Likes