I have to rehome my dog: Advice?

I feel terrible but i think i have to rehome the dog we just got…my toddler has started picking up the dog and trying to throw him and it is a small breed dog so i am so scared for it…does it make me a terrible person? i dont want people to judge me because of it…i also dont want my toddler to hurt the poor thing…how can i go about rehoming without people coming for me? i feel awful as it is

107 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I have to rehome my dog: Advice?

Find a local Rehoming group near you and rehome it, sometimes it doesn’t work out and that’s why Rehoming is a thing. Don’t beat yourself up about it.

3 Likes

Who cares what other people think. Do what is best for you and your child. :raised_hands: sometimes things just don’t work out as we plan.

4 Likes

Teach your daughter how to be friendly and nice. And if she can’t do it after you tell her put the dog away in a room or kennel. If she ask for the dog and you bring him back out tell her she’s gotta be nice to the puppy and so on. I got my 3 year old a bunny and sometimes she can be something else so I’ll put the bunny away if she doesn’t listen. Before I bring him back out I tell her remember he’s little we gotta be nice and respect his boundaries

18 Likes

That’s where you train the baby. And don’t let them be alone together. If you can’t do that then yes rehome the dog

19 Likes

Honestly, who cares what people think….you are doing what is best for the dog and you child. :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:
Imagine if your child hurt or god forbid killed the dog…imagine how people would “come at you” then!

4 Likes

one question, who is the adult and who is the human. Separate your child from your dog. A baby gate will suffice in most cases. If you can’t afford a baby gate, you can’t afford your child. Please arrange to rehome the child as soon as possible

12 Likes

You area a parent teach your child how to treat an animal, if you do not teach them now they will get worse and meaner to animals.

30 Likes

Where do you live
Nothing wrong with rehoming sometimes better for the dog n family

1 Like

What kind of dog and were are u located. Am looking for my dad a small dog.

1 Like

Don’t rehome it… kids are curious. So you should have thought about that when you got the puppy. I would just see how it goes and keep an eye on your toddler.

5 Likes

I may know someone who would be interested! Pls pm me.

Be patient and teach the baby how to play with the dog and love it .They’ll grow up together and be best friends and nobody will be able to be mean to your baby .

7 Likes

Find a rescue locally to you to help you place your pup with another home.

Try teaching your toddler to be gentle with the dog first. Don’t rehome unless you have to absolutely have to because it’s not fair to the dog and children need to be taught to be gentle and respect animals. If you don’t teach your child that then you will never be able to have a dog.

5 Likes

Discipline your kid… the child will learn that’s not okay

10 Likes

Sounds like the kid needs to behave.

5 Likes

It’s your kid and your pet. It is noone’s business. Just go and re-home the dog and if anyone asks say you found a home the was better suited for the dog or a better fit for the dog.

2 Likes

You have 2 options. You can either take the time to teach your child or you can rehome the dog and ignore what people think. There is always a learning process when it come to toddlers and animals.

3 Likes

Teach the child. Puppies are hard, puppies are even harder with kids, period. It’s actually not fun or easy having two at the same time. You’ll get used to it, though. Just teach the kid not to hurt the dog.

7 Likes

Look I have it a little girl who is one we a small breed dog and yes he chases around her to pick him up whatnot but I have put a baby gate up between them and she puts a hand through but he doesn’t come near her he backs off… please before thinking of rehoming your dog please a baby gate solution

1 Like

Pm me. I will help you. It’s a shame that you are being to to parent your child for caring about the dog. I have a dog that’s 5 lbs and 12 years old. I won’t allow anyone, adult or child near him. He’s just too small. You’re doing the right thing.

Teach your child how to treat animals

5 Likes

Teach your kid how to treat the dog

3 Likes

If it’s for the safety of the animal then people can kiss your :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: but either way plz teach your child how to treat animals so in the future they don’t get bit!

1 Like

Reach out to whoever you got the dog from or… TEACH your child how to treat animals right :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

You now have two toddlers.
Teach your human toddler how to properly treat animals.
Put the puppy in a safe place when you can’t keep your eyes on both of them.
Your toddler will learn, with consistency, how to treat the puppy.
It takes time, but it’s usually worth it.

7 Likes

Don’t get rid of the dog, teach your child.

7 Likes

Teach your child to not throw the poor dog! Teach your child how to properly treat animals.

5 Likes

Don’t rehome the poor dog, disapline your darn kid to make him not be a bully from the get go. Soon enough he could begin abusing smaller, weaker children if he does not learn about kindness to any small, weaker or vulnerable.

7 Likes

Teach your child how to properly treat animals and absolutely rehome the dog. These are situations where a dog loses its life for biting a child :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

You keep the dog and you teach your child that doing that to a animal is unacceptable. You don’t just get rid of the dog… just my opinion.

10 Likes

How about teaching your child not to harm animals?

5 Likes

You’re right, you should re home the dog. The dog deserves better :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Teach your child boundaries.
If you got the puppy from a breeder, see if the breeder will take it back.

1 Like

Why not put a baby gate up and give the dog its own space away from your toddler?

5 Likes

You are a fantastic person for recognising that your young one doesn’t have impulse control right now. You are a fabulous parent and pet parent. There is no shame in rehoming that small dog. My best to you and lots of hugs. Skip any post that isn’t nice. You deserve everyone’s respect.

22 Likes

Sounds like you need to teach your child how to treat an animal. But depending where you got the dog from they may take it back.

6 Likes

It doesn’t make you awful for rehoming it but definitely get the kid in check before trying to get another pet.

6 Likes

DO something about the kid throwing the dog, It’s not the Dogs fault. man people like you piss me off. WHY did you get a dog in the first place?

The obvious answer is that when your toddler goes to pick up the dog tell it no that’s mean or smack their butt once to let them know that behavior is not allowed.

How about teaching your child instead of getting rid of the dog so easily. :woman_facepalming:t2: ofc people are going to come at you. Instead of asking how you can teach your child , you automatically jump to disposing the dog like trash . Having a dog and a toddler is a lot of work , it’s not a cute accessory. I wish people put more thought into getting animals before they get them. So unfair to the animal. :woman_shrugging:t2:

This is where you have to actually parent your toddler. If you can’t care for an animal, get rid of the baby :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

8 Likes

Teach your child how to treat animals. Getting a animal when you have a toddler just makes you have 2 toddlers.

3 Likes

You should definitely teach your child that this isn’t acceptable. You could rehome the poor dog but what’s to stop your child continuing to be cruel later on. You definitely need to deal with your child asap.

18 Likes

I’m interested. What breed is it. How big will it get?

1 Like

My kids had pets too, they were young just teach her Google it or take her to classes.

1 Like

If you could I would have let your child be around a friends dog or something- and no you are not wrong for rehiring the dog Good Luck

1 Like

Train the kid not to do that. Simple.

19 Likes

You act like a parent and teach your child what is n isn’t ok, tf?

21 Likes

You need to teach your toddler how to respect animals.

Getting rid of the poor dog isn’t the answer. Shelters and rescues are overwhelmed.

Teach your child how to respect and treat animals. It’s not the poor dogs fault you have a toddler who doesn’t listen.

You knew you had a toddler so maybe a small breed dog wasn’t the proper choice.

I’m sorry but I’m an advocate for animals and this whole situation & others like it are the reason shelters and rescues are overwhelmed.

32 Likes

Use this as a teaching opportunity.

7 Likes

If you think nothing will change your toddler from hurting it I would try to re home it with someone you know. That will take good care of it!

4 Likes

Not all pets are a good fit for all homes. I’m glad you recognize this now before something does happen. Rehome the pet but make sure you find a good home, one where there are no small children.

2 Likes

I’m all for re homing your kid if you cant be a parent and set boundaries. You got a puppy amd know your kids being mean to it the puppy didn’t do anything the kid did. Easy solution get rid of the kid, keep the puppy.

24 Likes

I applaud you for recognizing he’s not safe and you need to give him up. But why not work with & teach your child? Kinda upsetting that you’re just letting him go

8 Likes

No it doesn’t. And while I agree you should work on teaching your child how to interact with animals… that shouldn’t be done at the expense of your current dogs safety.
Plus toddlers aren’t really know for picking up on boundaries and whatnot quickly… They literally don’t have the brain development to trust their impulse control

3 Likes

I did the same thing! I had a 3 month old puppy and my son started kicking her in her ribs hitting her on the head with anything he could find. I tried and tried to make it work but I finally decided that enough was enough. That puppy didn’t deserve that. I rehomed her and I asked for a rehoming fee of $60 just to ensure that she would go to a safe home and not someone who would just abuse her. My son was 3 when I did this

3 Likes

How about your teach your child to behave?

Toddler can understand the words like “No”, “Gentle”, etc.

Train your child.

14 Likes

Maybe parent your child? It’s your responsibility to teach your kid how to handle animals gently and respectfully. You should have known how your child behaves around animals BEFORE getting one. Don’t get a dog when you’re not ready for it. Irresponsible and disrespectful to the dog.

4 Likes

Why not teach your child how to handle the dog appropriately?

6 Likes

TEACH them to respect animals. They understand at toddler age. You need to reinforce it. If you don’t they will do it to animals you don’t kno. Believe me my kids do not want to know what I will to them if they throw one of our pets. It starts at home.

7 Likes

Tell your toddler NO NO NO!. DONT allow the baby to hurt the dog! Ever. Smack his bottom.

8 Likes

If you want to keep the dog, then teach your child appropriate handling of the dog. He’s not going to learn any younger. Keep the dog crated when you are unable to closely supervise them. If you are unable to do that, then please, rehome the dog, it’s totally unacceptable to allow it to be abused.

5 Likes

Don’t rehome it you need to teach your child not to do what’s right and what’s wrong. If you see your child picking up the dog or approaching the dog you firmly say no. If the child throws the dog or hurts the dog you put your child in timeout. You have to teach your child

6 Likes

Or did you just decide you didn’t want it.:thinking: how long have you had it, how old is your kid, if you just don’t want it, or don’t want to teach your kid respect for animals, just say so or say nothing, obviously you haven’t had it long, teach your kid how to behave, if you rehome it, don’t ever get another one if you don’t have the time or patience.

2 Likes

You have to do what’s right for the puppy and family !

3 Likes

Teach your child to not abuse animals

8 Likes

Your child needs to know that No it’s a NO! So who is winning?? Who is the parent here? You or your child? Teach him now before is late

11 Likes

That’s a lot of words for “I can’t handle parenting my child so I’ll get rid of my dog instead of teaching my kid.”

25 Likes

Some off the wall opinions on this one lol

5 Likes

And this is why the shelters are over ran. Animals are not things you can just return. They are actually living creatures. Teach your kid how to treat him. Now is the time when he is young. You are the parent-his actions require consequences and yes he is old enough to understand simple right and wrong.

9 Likes

You are making a hard decision in favor of the dog. No one should shame you for that. Your heart is where it should be. You are doing the best you possibly can so don’t worry about the haters out there. They will always find a reason to hate. Please rehome the dog and don’t worry about what people think.

8 Likes

A rescue group in your area may help.

1 Like

You should just teach your child not to be abusive

14 Likes

Your the parent. PARENT your child. Kids must learn hurting animals is not ok. And please dont get another animal until you can trust your child around it…

11 Likes

Stop making people make you feel bad life gets crazy you cant keep up with everything
Whatever decision you male just make sure it is the best for all
Maybe geting him a cage for sometime while the kiddo learns to behave better

3 Likes

Teach your child to not abuse animals

15 Likes

Send dog to me. I’ll take him or her.

2 Likes

Yes. Teach your freaking child

1 Like

How old is your child? And why are you allowing the child to be near to the dog? Please try parenting your child and teaching right from wrong, its not that hard. You are not right.

6 Likes

A lot of these comments suck! You can’t just teach a toddler and have them grasp it just like that. If you feel rehoming is what is best for everyone, do not let these people talk you into not doing it. Trust your instincts. I highly suggest taking the pup back to the shelter or organization you rescued him from if he is a rescue pet. Otherwise make sure you charge a rehoming fee and do references and background checks. Make sure you send the food he’s been eating and comfort items when he goes. You said you just got him so it won’t be too hard on him. No different than a pet foster. As for your child, just take them around friend’s or family’s pets and keep a close eye and set boundaries and teach them that way. It’s easier to teach and help them experience and adjust to small animals if it’s not all of the time, unavoidable and in your home. You are not a bad or incompetent parent because of this and some of these parents should be ashamed of their comments.

Understandable if you have to rehome. However, if you willing to work on it then never let baby alone with the dog. When they do interact always show your child how to handle the dog and how to pet the dog. Even guide your babies hand with your own. Until the baby can do this on their own never let the baby handle the dog alone. Even if your child becomes good with your dog still never leave them unattended. Children get attacked mainly because they can not read the dogs body language or warning signs. Make sure you understand the dogs body language so you know when to back off the dog. My kids learned really fast. You just need to be consistent.

4 Likes

Sometimes it doesn’t work out with a pet. Depending on the breed and your location, there are several groups that foster and rehome animals so they don’t end up in a shelter. Search on line for a rescue group that is breed specific that may be near you.
Please be careful if you decide to post it on line for rehoming. If you do, ask for vet references and charge a rehoming fee. This helps deter those people who are looking for bait dogs.

1 Like

Teach your child how to correctly respect animals and what they can and can not do, if you can’t keep them supervised then seperate and make sure you are there to teach every time the toddler is around the animal. You need to correct the behaviour not just get rid of the dog and pretend that means problem solved.

10 Likes

I have a small breed puppy and 2 under 2. Sorry, but you just seem like you can’t handle the dog and are blaming it on your toddler. Instead of asking for ways to separate them or to keep your toddler from “throwing” the dog, you immediately ask about rehoming it. Rehoming a dog doesn’t make you a bad person, but not teaching your children to respect any living thing does. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

Teach the kid not to pick the dog up.

8 Likes

Have you tried teaching your toddler not to pick the dog?

10 Likes

Start being strict with your toddler don’t let the dog be alone with your toddler

11 Likes

Rehome the toddler

Wait… this is not
A group where we give TERRIBLE advice

Oops…

11 Likes

Why not teach your kid to not throw animals. That way when he gets older he doesn’t hurt animals then too.

14 Likes

Hire a trainer to help your child understand how to treat animals if you aren’t able to

3 Likes

Damn you guys in here calling her a bad mom and telling her to train her child are rude as hell. At least she’s making sure the dog is safe.

my boy died last nov. I will take you baby

How about you teach your child NOT to hurt animals! :flushed::astonished:

15 Likes

If it’s a new thing time outs ect any time your child hurts the dog make it known to him/her this is not how people treat animals. Give it time don’t panic just try and teach your child this is wrong

3 Likes

Teach your child not to throw animals. Teach him gentle hands. Teach them how to play with each other.

4 Likes

You need to discipline your child when they pick up the dog!!! What are you doing when your child does this? Your child does not know how to treat animals so you have to teach them!!! If you just get rid of the dog how does your child learn anything?? I’ve always had dogs, and when my children were small they were taught early on how to treat animals, and would get disciplined if they did anything they shouldn’t with the animals. It may take a few times but they eventually learn what they can do and what they can’t do!!! My dogs were also like my children, and getting rid of my kids or my dogs were out of the question! It’s not an dog problem but a people problem!! But if you can’t teach the child then you should get rid of the dog!! Give it to someone who can treat it the way it should be treated!!

12 Likes

How about teaching your child to have respect for animals. You can’t start a pattern of your kid abusing animals and then kicking the poor animal out because you don’t discipline your child. Some people here are acting like the poor pup did something wrong… that’s not the case. Your kid is not being taught to respect animals and that’s the parents fault. He/she needs to be taught respect and manners. It’s your fault! You brought the pup home so it’s your responsibility to love and care for it but if you’re not going to try to teach your kid to respect and not hurt animals then put it somewhere safe. Poor pup :dog: :woman_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes