I have to rehome my dog: Advice?

Teach your child how to take care of the dog! It’s not the dogs fault!

2 Likes

I never leave my toddler alone with my dog. Constant redirection. Put up a baby gate to separate them. If you leave the room take the dog/toddler or both with you. It’ll be a pain but this will pass. I teach mine as soon as they can touch animals how to treat them. Good luck xo

5 Likes

Best to rehome the dog for his own safety. Your child is too young to understand that he could hurt the puppy.
Be Safe now, rather than sorry later!

1 Like

Everyone saying teach your toddler not to hurt the dog I totally agree with and understand… to a point. My kids are older now but, sometimes at that age they just don’t get it. They really are still babies. If you really truly feel that the dog could be hurt than I think rehoming is absolutely the way to go. Sometimes things just don’t work put how we thought and putting the best interest of the dog as a priority shouldn’t make you feel the worst because you’re doing it so they have the best life possible. Good luck!

9 Likes

you have your hands full with a toddler that you can’t teach to be nice to animals. Why would you get a puppy? ok you have it now. Teach your child to respect the puppy.

3 Likes

Teach that toddler not to be a turd!

You could try to teach him how to properly handle a pet. But if you can’t or don’t want to then yes finding a good home for your dog is fine. Don’t let people make you feel bad, if you take the time to find a good home and care enough to keep your pet safe you shouldn’t feel bad.

2 Likes

How about keeping the dog outside where it belongs
A baby touching a nasty dog, disgusting

8 Likes

Start with your child

3 Likes

You’re a parent! PARENT YOUR CHILD!!! If you can’t teach your toddler how to not pick up a puppy, then I suggest keeping them separated with a gate until the puppy gets bigger or your kid learns to be nice to animals

3 Likes

Keep it away from your toddler until he understands. Like get some baby gates and or dog crates. Baby can learn and listen. Unless you just want to get rid of it then you will probably get negativity from someone

Alberta Pets for rehoming or Alberta free pets for rehoming :slight_smile: no judgement there

1 Like

Good lord. Teach your child how to treat animals. It’s not hard. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Teach your toddler to NOT throw the puppy. Keep them separated until your kid can learn to be easy.

2 Likes

You are not a terrible person!! Sometimes things just don’t work out the way we think they will. And that’s okay. It’s better to be safe than sorry now and to stop it if it truly is too much.

But just please remember this lesson, and don’t get any more animals until your child is older and can better handle a pet. Maybe get a fish tank and let him pick out a couple cool looking fish. Good luck!

3 Likes

Yes. Please re-home the dog immediately! Call the local vet and ask for a no-kill shelter or pet refuge number.

2 Likes

I never leave my toddler alone with my cat or dog. She’s very mean as well. She’ll pull my cats tail, lay on her, choke her, grab her around the neck and drag her, she’ll hit her and kick her, pull her fur out. I’m not getting rid of my cat at all, what I do is immediately stop it and tell her it’s mean to do it and if she continues then I pop her one good time and tell her it’s mean and why it’s mean. It’s a steady process, we have to teach our kids from right and wrong and getting rid of the object isn’t gonna help for when they go to a friends house with the same object and then abuse said object their or anywhere on the street and then be in jail for abuse or cruelty. Js.

3 Likes

No bad judgments, it is clear that you are trying to do what is best for both the little dog and your toddler.
But it is possible to teach children to be gentle and careful with animals.
If you feel this is not possible and most safe for the dog to rehome, good on you.
I hope you can find a good safe home for your dog.

5 Likes

Re-home the toddler. :rofl: I’m joking. But you can try working with your child on how to properly handle the dog. It takes time and patience. Kids learn faster than you think. But if you really feel like you can’t keep the dog then try to find a rescue to surrender to.

2 Likes

How about how about teaching your child how to treat an animal child’s never too young to learn

7 Likes

Teach ur kid to be gentle and loving towards animals. If u rehome the pup without teaching ur child how to be gentle then the kid will always be mean to animals

9 Likes

U need to separate the puppy and child from eachother. Obviously you can tell him but it will take a while.
A crate and baby gates. A play yard or room divider.

Although u know if that will work or not . That’s ok it just wasn’t time to have a pet. Don’t worry what others will think. It didn’t work out. That’s that.

2 Likes

Start with the child not the dog. What if he does it to some other dog and gets bitten bad. Something like that happened to me yesterday and. And a man and his dog both got hurt it wasn’t the dogs fault

5 Likes

U can certainly rehome and don’t feel bad about that but please teach ur toddler empathy and kindness

4 Likes

Welp, don’t get mad if your puppy attacks your child, because you refuse to teach your child to be kind to animals🤷🏻‍♀️ not wishin anything bad on your kid, but sometimes they need a taste of their own medicine.

4 Likes

Oh my I don’t want to tell you what I would do if I caught my child hurting or throwing the dog. I bet he wouldn’t ever do it again. Start teaching early so the child doesn’t grow up to be a animal abuser. My grandson is 2 and he just pets my dog. Never is mean to it

8 Likes

Teach/discipline the kid to leave dog alone

3 Likes

It’s a teachable moment, that you should have considered before taking on the responsibility
As a parent and a pet owner it’s part of the job

5 Likes

What kind of dog my I ask ? I’m looking for a small breed . I’m in Canada .

Teach your child respect, and consequences. This is where it starts with having empathy and understanding for another life. Just my opinion.

15 Likes

Honestly you sound like a parent that won’t teach your kid anything in life so when you get rid of this animal who YOU chose to bring in your life just to do this to it you or your child does not deserve to ever have another one that’s for sure smh.

9 Likes

Its should be no judgement your doing what is best for the dog an your family. You are doing right ignore the nay sayers

4 Likes

Hmmmm, get a dog and the kid mistreats it? How about teaching the kid that this is wrong and how to really treat the dog instead of getting rid of the dog? If you had another kid and this kid was mean to it - are you gonna get rid of the new kid?

18 Likes

Teach your kid NO . I had a house full of animals including cats with claws and all sizes of dogs. Dogs trained, cats trained and kids taught kindness. I even ran a daycare at my house for toddlers for years with no issues. We taught them animals have feelings too

9 Likes

You definitely could re-home if you feel that it’s best, but you would still probably run into the issue of this with other people’s animals (If your child visits someone who has a pet, they might mistreat that pet as well.) My suggestion would be to interfere each time your child is interacting, and lead by example. When we got our puppy I would step in and remind my daughter “gentle touch” and take her hand and gently pet our dog. Any time she would pick the puppy I would tell her it wasn’t safe and she could accidentally hurt the puppy and that we don’t hurt our loved ones. Extremely young kids do tend to be too rough with animals, we need to constantly remind them of how they can appropriately handle the animals. Eventually they do understand and will be gentle. You just have to be on top of the situation and constantly monitor their interactions until youre confident that your toddler knows how to be gentle.

4 Likes

Holy everyone’s so judgemental maybe she did teach him but he’s jus not listening :woman_shrugging: it’s okay if she changed her mind too about keeping the dog . Jus re home him if that’s what u want

7 Likes

Try disciplining the kid.

6 Likes

If you got it from a rescue, most have clauses you have to bring back to the rescue.

I rather be judge for rehoming the dog than be that horrible person that allows their kid to hurt it. Now that’s a shame!

5 Likes

I would make him leave the dog alone

2 Likes

Parent your child. Teach them appropriate behavior and monitor them at all times.

8 Likes

Teach the kid! My god

9 Likes

teach your child acceptable behaviour

8 Likes

Firstly it’s time to teach your toddler not to throw the puppy. Make they are always supervised. Children need to learn

5 Likes

Teach your child how to be around animals, don’t rehome the dog.

5 Likes

Try being a parent first and teach your child that is unacceptable behavior and you do not treat animals like that! :woman_facepalming:t3:Then again, if you can’t even teach your child right from wrong maybe the poor dog might be better off somewhere else!

14 Likes

Teach your child basic respect and common decency. It’s not ok at all to throw an animal regardless of age, etc.

8 Likes

So you’ll remove the furniture too when your kid starts banging the drawers and pulling curtains and climb on tables etc?

It’s simple, toddlers do understand so teach your kid.

We teach them right from wrong and do’s and donts from an early stage.

Forbid him from picking up the dog and throwing it.

It’s as simple as that.

6 Likes

People are so quick to judge or be sarcastic or whatever. You’re an amazing mom seeking advice on a perfectly reasonable situation. I recommend teaching your child ‘gentle’ behaviors such as ‘this is our new doggie, can you show mommy how you gently pet his head?’ And praise your child for when he/she is gentle with the dog. Children are so intelligent and quick to learn so I feel repetitive teachings are the way to go. And also showing your child how mommy is gentle with the doggie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Tell your little one to leave the pup alone, do you have a play pen to put puppy in let him be in there for his safety while toddler is on the move but when toddler is down for a sleep let the pup have some freedom.also you need to be strict with your little one as dog May nip him if he is course to it… last thing you want is to have a love/hate relationship with the animal…how old is the puppy. And how old is your toddler

1 Like

I can’t believe that this is a question, your small child. Do something about it. It might be as easy as banning him from messing around with the poor animal and separating them. Just like you would with human playmates. Perhaps explain the legality of harming defenceless creatures.

3 Likes

Some children are not naturally gentle with animals or other humans. If you can’t teach now, then when?

3 Likes

If u get rid of the pup how is ur child.going to learn.
Teach him that it’s not ok to do, and also never leave him alone with the puppy.

3 Likes

If your child is not old enough to understand the appropriate behaviour around animals, DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE HORRIBLE COMMENTS! Rehoming the dog is the most considerate thing you can do for it!!!
Wtf is wrong with people to be saying these things!!!
Some children take longer to understand than others. If you want a dog, try again when your child is older and will treat it properly. Don’t feel bad. It’s better than keeping it and having it be afraid of getting hurt!!

14 Likes

Its new to the child so he needs to be taught how to treat animals

1 Like

Get in touch with Mel from Cooper and Kids, this is her area of expertise. Kids and dogs in the same home :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Find the puppy a new safe home and know you did the right thing for your family. Then teach you child how to treat animals and hopefully with age he can have a puppy someday.

9 Likes

Damn , all y’all haters attacking her, while I agree she needs to teach her toddler, she is doing the right thing, lay off her some and her some respect

It’s better to rehome the puppy now before it gets hurt.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ just teach your child boundaries! Pretty fucking simple!

1 Like

Look at the dog like a defenceless new born. Imagine you just had a new baby and your toddler is playing rough…

2 Likes

Maybe discipline your toddler???

3 Likes

What breed of dog is it?

If you have another baby and the toddler is rough with it, will you rehome that as well?
Stop making excuses and start parenting your child. Show him the correct way to behave around the dog

5 Likes

People here care more about the friggin dog than the kid smh. Toddlers do not have impulse control it takes a long time to teach them. Rehoming the dog is the best thing for the dog and the toddler. Yes you can teach gentle touches but not at the expense of the dog and child. The dog could snap and bite the baby or the baby could hurt the dog. Rehoming the dog is your best bet. Toddlers have little control over their motor skills at this point as.well often they don’t realize they are being rough. It’s better to introduce pets when they are closer to five years old.

5 Likes

Nah, honey. You’re being judged. You’re choosing to not do the motherly thing and teach your child right from wrong.
You’re a sorry person and a sorry mother.

7 Likes

jour doing the right thing. wait till jour daughter is older bevor jou gett another dog

honestly no u wouldn’t be Judged especially not from me. I Had to re-home a Cat because she kept attacking my Children. I Tired everything to Get her to stop nothing worked! I even Got Advice from the vets etc. I would Definitely Teach Ur child To not hurt the dog. if that doesn’t work I would Re-home the dog till Ur Child can Learn to be gentle to a pet

1 Like

Teach your child respect and actually how to treat an animal… children learn from what the see and hear…

2 Likes

Personally l would teach your child to be gentle and not pick up the dog. I think it would depend on you, yourself. Are you regretting the decision of getting the dog and perhaps using this as an excuse? Have you got the time, energy and patience to teach both your child and a new dog alongside each other as well as do all the other things a busy mum does? Be honest with yourself and take it from there.

2 Likes

You are absolutely not a bad person and you are doing what you feel is best. I had a friend who had a puppy (dachshund) with a 3 year old. He took the puppy up to the top bunk and threw it down. It suffered massive spinal damage. A living creature isn’t something to practice learning to be gentle on. You are a good mom and making the right choice for the safety of everyone involved.

2 Likes

Dog suffers due to lack of parenting is all i am reading.

11 Likes

Following but wit a cat !

And this is why its better if you get a dog once you’ve finished having kids…

Yes if you don’t want to supervise more carefully and teach kiddo than rehoming is perfect for everyone. I suggest working with a rescue to help you vet new owners or just turning doggo over completely. You still need to work on kiddos behavior or bough.

3 Likes

This seems like one of those baiting posts! Made just to get comments🤦‍♀️
Teach your child to not be mean, plan and simple
Stupid is what stupid does…

2 Likes

Discipline the kid…

Teach your kid wrong from right

What

6 Likes

Give your toddler a ball to pick up and throw your toddler wants you to play with him or her and is probably frustrated you aren’t noticing his or her need for your attention that’s probably why he or she is picking up the puppy and throwing it. There is No Need 2 Rehome a puppy if you give both your toddler and puppy equal attention

2 Likes

I’d suggest a baby gate keeping the dog and toddler separate until little one learns how to treat an animal properly. No child should be left unattended with an animal especially if said child is picking up and throwing the dog. Maybe involve the child in play with the dog - throwing a ball for it etc and show how to stroke nicely. I feel there are other avenues to try first instead of rehoming straight away.

3 Likes

You are doing the right thing by re-homing
Your fur child

I work with animals for a living. I will 100% not judge you if you feel rehoming your dog is not only a safe option for it but your child as well, do it. If you have already tried to resolve this issue and nothing has changed, then you’re making the right call. You can practice gentle touch and kindness with a stuffed toy to ensure safety the toddler won’t get bit then. I know your dog may also seem like your “child” to you as well, that’s fine bc I’m a mom of 3 and I have 5 pets and they are like my children to bc of how much I love them. However, my children’s safety will always trump a pet. Why? Bc pets are not humans and I get tired of seeing people treat them like it. They are ANIMALS and will still act out of their own instincts. So yes, please work with your toddler more and if you rehome your dog, I wish the best. If you don’t rehome and your toddler learns while you keep them separated, great! You figured it out and you’ll just need to make sure they are never alone together. However it goes I hope it all works out💜

3 Likes

I’am making over $127 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 17950 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs293.pages.dev/

How about teach your kid to be nice to animals? Sounds like your child has no discipline so you will be doing that poor dog a favour by rehoming it

11 Likes

You should teach your baby slowly to be gentle. And supervise when they’re together. If you aren’t willing to try that then the pup deserves a safer home. Babies and toddlers are capable of learning to be gentle.

5 Likes

If you’re near Michigan, I’ll take the lil sweetie :grin::heart:

I’d throw the kid!!! Lol :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

teach your baby to respect animals, it’s a learning curve…imagine u have another baby and your child is mean to it…are you gonna rehome your baby?

10 Likes

kids can be taught, But if the dog is older than your child, think how that poor dog feels when he is not with you anymore, And if you do have to rehome him, never, ever get another animal again. And no I don’t think you are a bad person, just never own any animal again

5 Likes

Um…are you serious? The thought never crossed your mind to step up and parent your CHILD for doing something wrong? Why can’t you teach your toddler that this isn’t how we treat animals? You dont rehome the dog. You need to get tough with your child and put consequences in place for any time they are handling the dog in an unsafe manner, and you need to follow through. Show your child the acceptable ways to handle your dog. If you dont, they will never respect any animal. Children need to be taught. Be the parent! Your toddler won’t learn if you dont take the time to explain, set boundaries, set consequences, and follow through. I always told my now 4 year old, when he was 2 ish, if he picked up our cats or held them the wrong way, they would bite him and not like him, and showed him how they like to be petted and loved on. Now, they sleep by him. They are also 12 years old and finicky. Step up and be the parent. Dont just remove the dog because you’re too lazy to set boundaries and parent your kid. Teach him the right way to handle the dog. Show your kid what the dog can do. Peak his interest. Does it do tricks? Fetch? Have your child interact that way with the dog. A dog isn’t a toy, but a companion and there’s a certain way to treat it.

12 Likes

As a mother of 7, one of them being an infant and the other one a toddler when we got our pup… it is possible to teach your child how to be gentle and teach the pup how to interact with the child. It takes alot of work, but it’s worth it. Lyla and Morgan (my youngest) are inseparable.

6 Likes

If you don’t allow your kid around animals they’ll never learn. So don’t bother to teach them right. Oops kid can’t do it might as well just fucking give up right? Jfc

Wow people. You shame her anyways…I hate this place

8 Likes

How about you use it as a learning experience and teach your child? My kids grew up with dogs, my youngest daughter was 5 months whe. We brought home our first puppy. She learned “nice hands” “be gentle” etc.

1 Like

Teach your child how to act you let him get away with this with the dog later he will be doing it to other kids too

2 Likes

I’am making over $127 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 17950 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs322.pages.dev/

I parented my kids but I had that one kid who didn’t listen to anything :flushed: At least this mom is thinking of the pup and saying, we just got it and this child could hurt it. I’d rather she give it up than let it get hurt.

7 Likes

You need to work with your toddler before they attempt it with another, less amenable, dog. Show them how to treat the dog kindly and work with them.

4 Likes

Your doing the right thing , contact a local groomer or shelter they will help best off luck , you should never feel ashamed of wanting the best for an animal you can’t give 100%to x

4 Likes

My kids have never thrown an animal and they have always had pets in the house. Maybe buy a pen for the dog so it can be safe while baby learns the dos and donts

4 Likes

How about you teach your child how to be around animals instead?

9 Likes