I lied to my daughter to protect her and now she hates me

People are going to tell you that you’re a terrible person for lying. You did the best you could with what you knew in that situation. There is no right or wrong in this instance. You did it to protect her. She will grow up and have children of her own. Then she’ll understand. I know that you are hurting due to her reaction/actions. I’m sorry you are going thru this. The only thing you can do is to love her thru this. Hopefully she’ll begin to understand and forgive you. Hugs

6 Likes

Yea, I’d probably hate you too.

Not only for the fact that you lied to her about something so big, but also that you don’t seem to take her seriously.
How do you 100% know that she dosent have panic attacks or wants to commit suicide?

How would you feel if she actually did it and you didn’t believe her?

4 Likes

Get her I to some counseling.

Take her to the hospital and let them evaluate her condition. Being suicidal is an automatic admission to the psychiatric hospital. She definitely needs more help than you can give her.

1 Like

Rebellion is common for a teenager but there is the complication of truth that she Isn’t ready to accept. Time will heal her hurt, especially if she thought highly of the man she thought was her father and hopefully still has a relationship with him as to not feel abandoned. Just a thought, but herapy for the both of you might be a step forward and depending on how she gets along with her natural father, ( does he want to be a parent to her ?) it might be an option for the 3 of you to do together.

Don’t take things away from her, it will only make her resent you more. Sit down, explain to her why you did what you did. She’s probably feeling so lost and looking for attention from these older men. Get her a therapist

Sounds to me like a cry for help…I mean her whole world has been flipped upside down…she is hurt plane and simple and she needs positive help

1 Like

My mother did the same thing. I still despise her to this day. Stop making excuses and own what you did. Stop punishing her…you have done that enough. She needs help, from a professional. Not you.

I found out at the age 12 that my supposed father wasn’t really my biological dad. It took me a little bit to come to terms with it but in the end I’m glad i didnt know. And I’m thankful my mom tried her best. Because we don’t know all the circumstances. Her acting out does need to be addressed and if it’s possible to try and go to a family counselor. The teen years are full of change and all you can really do is be up front from now on and be there for her.
Also I’d report all those grown men talking to your daughter since they are clearly pedophiles

My advise contact her biological father and come together as her parents and sit down with her. Let her talk and say whatever she needs to ask and say. Maybe even consider letting her have some time with her father so that she can get to know him. If the 2 of u can get past ur past and be friendly for her sake u may just save her life.

She has every right to be upset that’s traumatic… went through it I know how it is. It takes a lot of time to rebuild from trust issues that are so deep like that and if you want to fix it you need to be patient understanding and a whole lot of love.

You owe her the truth I’m sure u had good intentions but that shifts a young adults whole view of their life and causes SOOO many more problems…once she was old enough to understand there needs to be honesty because if they can’t trust their own mother who will they ever be able to trust??

You should’ve never lied to her. You should’ve told her plain and simple that you don’t want her involved with her dad and explain why (assuming you have good reason). You betrayed her, you hid something from her that she had every right to know, and now you’re dealing with the consequences. When the rebellion starts at this age there’s pretty much nothing you can do, besides apologize; but you probably won’t do that because the way you worded your question shows that you don’t claim responsibility for your actions or how they effected your daughter.

I have a personality disorder, and I recognize some similarities between your daughter and myself at that age-ish. Definitely get her into a psych if you can, and also explain her behavior to them as well. Good luck :heart: My son is coming up to this age in the next few years and I am scared to death, lmao!

Get her therapy and start family therapy these are signs she need help I wouldn’t dismiss the panic attacks so fast either because after finding out who she thought her father was turn out to be a lie so she could not only be struggling with that but the divorce also that affect most kids ik it’s hard to think kids might have depression but its not uncommon and is easily helped with love and time