I really need help with my toddlers behavior: Advice?

First take a deep breath you are doing good mom take it easy your doing the best you can dont worry they will eventually get it baby steps your doing good take a deep breath and say wusa.

I had a “candy box”. 3 pieces after dinner, for bad behavior no candy box. It worked well for my give an inch-take a mile child.

Honestly, it’s just a phase. Just know that you’re going to have to keep repeating yourself. Maybe if you know you have to do that, it won’t make you so upset. Just expect it…

I had an adult T-shirt that I put them both in and sat them on the couch or floor and told them until they got along they couldn’t get out of it

Oh momma, I feel for you. I had to change from no and don’t for bad things to yes and thank you for good things. Make a rewards chart for the fridge, buy stars, leave space for special things they’ve done. When they get to 5 stars… They get a prize (nothing big). But they can also lose stars. Make it a competition, make it fun, they’ll eventually get it. I’ve also made mine choose a toy to give up when they’ve had a really bad week (not one they don’t care about either), if their bad attitudes continued… They had to donate said toy rather than earn it back.

Maybe they have an underlying mental health issue? Try reducing junk foods with dyes. If all else fails I’m a firm believer a spanking goes a long way. And of course for all you that will be appalled I don’t mean beat the kids but spanking works

14 Likes

I raised 2 sons… that was the case most the time. They be “fighting” the younger telling the older to stop it. I’d step in and make the elder stop it and then the younger would say to the elder, do it again. I was an extreme tomboy growing up and a handful according to my Mom but I tell you boys do things I never even thought of. I had to figure out what “feeds” them, what do they like doing, eating, going to where the best. A spanking never once phased my youngest, he could have cared less. One afternoon I unwittingly “backed myself into a corner” with the youngest. He refused to pick up, clean up his room and, or his stuff all over the house so, I told him if he didn’t have to take care of his responsibilities than I didn’t have to take care of mine. I told him I wasn’t going to make him any food until he picked his stuff up. Well after 24 hrs he was still refusing to do as he was told. (Yes, he’s still that hard headed lol) I realized I had to think creatively and end the stand off. So I decided to bake a cake and as it was baking I’d open the oven door to let the smell out. It worked lolol little stinker finally picked all his stuff up.

As a mom of twins…just keep swimming. Boys don’t listen and you have to be overly patient. They are 2 and 3…they’re still babies.

Get an indoor or outdoor trampoline. Boys need lots of physical exercise. When they start acting up it usually means they are hungry again!! So more exercise and more healthy snacks! To some males, hunger is an angry feeling. My father-in-law always said, “A hungry man is an angry man!” As soon as the boys start acting up, it’s time to eat again. Once I became aware of this I would bring out sliced apples, cheeses, crackers, small sandwiches, grapes, cucumbers, carrots, etc. etc. Then while they were squabbling I would announce “who’s hungry? Look, mommy has snacks!” And instantly the fighting would stop! I use this trick on my husband, too! :laughing: it works like magic! Anyway, it’s worth a try. Sending you peaceful days!

it is called get out the wooden spoon like they did for us back in the 60s You tell them and say if you dont listen there will be a punishment and out comes the wooden spoon

I remember those days…sort of. It’s a blur. Just keep being consistent. You will make it through.

It is a lot to hàve that many under 3. Have you tried them earning back their toys. Pick them all up and for every hour they are naughty they get a toy for 10 minutes or something like that also just be consistent. If you say something do it or don’t say it

Are your expectations too high for a 2 and 3 yr old? Maybe take a chill pill and pick your battles

Just keep telling them the rite thing to do you haft to keep on them dont give up they will get better as they age

Focus more on positive. Get them a jar and some marbles or something. Set at timer, if they behave for the amount of time you’ve set, give them each a marble. A set number of marbles gets them a particular treat or activity. Also can use a chart and stickers, but they need to be able to see their achievements. Increase the time slowly. Use educational or what ever short TV show, this allows you time to get other things done as well. If they can sit quietly and watch a 15-30 minute show, they receive a set number of marbles or stickers. Give them an activity, color a complete page, get a set number of marbles or stickers. You customize it to fit your needs. They are younger than my kids when we started it. But in any case, I found that focusing more on the desired behavior than the undesired works so much better.

Every kid is different in how the punishment works. Try to redirect their attention on something else like ask them if they want to help you do a specific chore or if they want to bake cookies with you or do a craft. I don’t know how you feel about spanking maybe a swat on the butt a time or 2 might work. Time out? Takes toys away.?. make them do something they don’t like doing like a chore even if it’s not done to your liking at least it’s something they don’t like doing and maybe they will think twice. Idk it’s hard at that age. Lots of praise when they do good. Idk what their attention span is but maybe disney movies or watch an animal channel. Consistency is key

Be consistent with time out and avoid situations more walks

Try enrolling them in some kind of sport like karate or soccer also if you have the option send your 3 year old to preschool.

Swatt their butts, that gets their attention faster than anything.

Yep & millions of moms have had to deal with the same thing. Life is hard. Get over yourself.

It’s all the same everywhere. Ears are for decoration only :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Cheers to us, I played their favorite kid’s show whenever the got unruly. I hit the button and they sat infront of the tv until they got sleepy. That was 30 years ago.

I used to take away time on their outside time. Or take the phone or electronic game away. They begged me to just hit them and get it overwith

I can also add schedules as to when something ie getting dressed

Take their toys, no tv for the moment n or put them in time out n keep putting them in time-out when they get up once settled in time-out then tell you know why your in time-out, explain… tell them only way you them back if you… Be firm

Its the age. They’re being kids.

How about justice for the murder of #jamiekeene Where you at on that Bardstown police department?

A male figure is needed. With a firm voice . Brother. Friend some male figure in their life is a must now

Take their fav toy or game away

We have a sticker chart for when they do well, ie play nice, clean up toys, brush teeth. I give timeout too my grandchildren sometimes they get a smack

I gave mine a swat on the bottom when they wouldn’t listen after a few times of telling them. Thankfully they outgrew it before they started school. They are 18 and almost 21 now

Don’t be a broken record. Design a punishment and be consistent. Follow up! Make sure they know if they don’t follow the rules they will be punished. Take away their favorite thing in the whole world if you have too. Never give in. I see it all the time. We say if they do it again, we will do this or that. They do it again and we don’t. Don’t make empty threats.

4 Likes

Take things away and don’t give in until
You see a change

What do they do that makes you want to go crazy?

Scott Ratliff did ur kids get powpows and positive reinforcement? Mine didn’t, and I sure enough didn’t. We got our butts busted.

3 Likes

Try checking out the book, How to talk so little kids will listen, and listen so little kids will talk. :heart::heart:

Try to remember that at this age, impulse control is pretty much non existent. It takes time to develop :heart:

4 Likes

Setting up them, you for success is most important. Whatever in the environment csn be modified so thd day has more okays than "no!) Or stop touching that! Also, motor activity! Curious monkey problem solver stage! With more energy pumping to their little muscles than they know what to do with. I remember when I put the piano “away” so I could put a small tykes climbing gymn type thing in mh liv iij ng room. It was a long, cold winter in a heavy snowy area we lived at the time. Trapped in the house with 1, 2 & almost 4 year old. I had a “schedule” alternating busy, free motor activity with fine motor /literacy activities. Here is a sample.
(Mine were all early risers.)
6 am. Wake up/free play.
7 am breakfast.
7 30- intro letters & numbers of the day.
8 am singing /dancing time
8 30: playdough or similar
9 30 Jungle gymn
10 00 movie/nap time
Noon ish - lunch
1 pm. Free play/ brick stack (4 yr old “reads” or colors)
2 pm - structured creative something?
(Or pick a sing dance time!)
3 pm Coloring time or other quiet.
3 30. Quiet time (quiet music or tv)
4 30: free play at table while momma cooks dinner (1 yr old helping in high chair or play pen.)
5 30 dinner
6 30 free play/baths
7 30 mini tramp bounce
8:00 story time/scriptures/fam prayer
8 30 bedtime.
Kids usually went to bed by 9 on this schedule. Sometkmes slept in till 7… or some did…
We wove snacks (fruits n veggies) into the quiet activities…
Once spring/summer came - the active times moved outside.

Redirect when you can, but also try 1, 2, 3 magic. From an early age I taught my kids this. You have to the count of 3. Once momma gets to 3 that means it’s punishment. And you try different things. Time out, no chocolate milk with dinner, and when all else fails a swat to the behind. These are the years when littles will constantly test boundaries because they’re still learning the rules. It’s normal. But every child is different with what they respond to. And when you’re overwhelmed, place them in their play pens and take a mommy break. Step into another room, take a deep breath, and gather yourself… Best of luck, mommy. You’ve got this.

2 Likes

One at a time cold showers they will get it

1 Like

Ah sounds just like my twins at that age have them tested for adhd and dont let people get you down

My twin boys were that way. Constantly pulling each other’s hair and they would cry. So pulling their hair wouldn’t work. So I shaved their heads. I took away what they were fighting over. They cried the whole time but when it grew back they didn’t pull it. I also pulled ALL they’re toys out of the room. So when they got timeout in their rooms, usually when I needed a timeout as well, there was nothing for them to do. I did also what another mom suggested praise the good. And don’t give as much attention to the negative.

1 Like

I felt i was the only 1 going through this mess… Mine are twins boy n grl… Can totally understand wt u would be going through…

By the way. My kids are now. 49,43 and 33. And they turn out great. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes:

I will pray for you sweet momma and it does get better,promise but yes you have to stick to rules,

My boys are 15 months apart and they drove me insane during the toddler years. Of course I loved them through it all, but there were some days that had me wondering if 2 and 3 years were too old to be dropped off at a safe surrender sight lol Boys are definitely more busy and take up a lot of energy. I think positive reinforcement goes a long way because kids love our attention and affection, so whenever the are behaving in a good way verbal and physical praise goes a long way. Tell them what you expect of them for the day and repeat that instead of no and dont. Also, my son’s behavioral therapist (adhd) said when I talk to him put my hand on his shoulder, or foot, (if he’s sitting) hold his hand etc. because the touch gets their attention, eye contact holds it and then say what you want but keep it short and to the point. Reward them with something at the end of the day and do a recap on all of their positive behaviors and that’s why they’re getting ice cream after dinner, an extra story at bedtime, little longer play time in the tub, etc. It will help encourage them more.

Try a sticker chart and reward them for doing good

1 Like

Best book I ever read 1,2,3 Magic Effective discipline for Children 2-12 .

Start taking stuff away. When they have nothing they’ll learn

You don’t want to know whatd I do… I’m very old school!

Remember always follow threw with what u say

Boys need lots of outside time

A good spanking never hurt anyone

Following… I have a 7, 2, and 3 month old. I’m in the exact same boat. I’m losing my sh!t here!

Good old fashioned slap on the hand.

Look into ‘time in’ techniques. More of a discussion method

Spanking will do the trick.

Holy hell don’t seek advice on here .

Sometimes this is the solution

Idk if that helps but try either one of those

Typical and gets worse🤣

It’s just a boy thing.

Would a play therapist help?

A good old slap on the ass does the trick

Swat their little butts. Not heard. Just to get their attention

There toddlers if you cant handle them then you shouldny of had 2 kids so close in age

1 Like

Tear tgeir ass up with a belt one good time and put the fear of god in them and trust me theyll listen lol worked on me, im not out starting riots or attacking ppl in the streets because their different from me. Its what society needs nowadays because most kids are raised with a silver spoon in their mouth and take everything for granted

Sorry…I meant 123 Magic.

Best advice someone gave me once was “ say what you mean and do what you say”. Which pretty much means don’t be wishy washy. If you tell them you are taking the toys because they aren’t sharing or cleaning up, do it right away, put it up out of sight and don’t give it back for a few days. If you tell them to go to bed or time out and they don’t take them where you want them to go and leave them there. Don’t explained why or it will go on forever. If they don’t eat what you put in front of them, put a timer on, when it buzzes goes off the meal is over, throw it away. The buzzer was the bad guy not you. If you don’t follow through they will never trust “what you say” and if you don’t do the action they will never trust you to “say what you mean.” Start them off young because it’s harder to turn bad habits around. I hope this help. I’m a mother of 3 grown boys, I did home day care for 10 years and now I work with special education children. And let’s not forget the 3 grand children.

4 Likes

Also what specifically are they doing so maybe we can help with a specific problem.

Uay you for reaching out!

Pop them on there rear end

Is there a father in the picture?

It’s called a spanking…

It’s their age ! Hopefully it gets better

Paddle they’re bum. But do it when you’re not frustrated, if you do it when you’re frustrated you hit too hard, judge yourself smack your upper leg you will know how hard to hit when it stings a little bit you know that’s what you want. And you only use your hand to spank

2 Likes

Has anyone ever tried to get their kids away from their behavior by saying let’s play a game and make cleaning the house fun for them. Put on music,dance and have a race to see who can pick up things on the floor the fastest or dust the fastest. Or even sweeping can be a fun game. It will distract the kids from bad behavior because sometimes they act out because they are bored.

1 Like

I too, had 3 babies under 3 years old, and survived! They are teenagers now.

Best advice I ever got was not to threaten punishment, unless you are going to follow through with it. Even children as young as yours, can read you like a book & will learn their boundaries with each parent!

Also, routine is crucial. Kids depend on it & you will too!! Same thing every day, same time, if possible!

I was there with mine. They are now 8,9, and 11. I was fortunate enough to be able to tap their bums without backlash at the time. Nipped it right in the bud. I also took things that meant a lot to them until they could explain what they did wrong (with my coaching of course). It’s not easy and it takes time but if you stick to what you say, as far as punishment goes, they will learn to realize you’re serious. Pick one and stick with it hard core!!! Good luck!

Reduce tv iPad and technology time. You will be surprised how much itll help.most of the rest is developmental… I’d maybe start daily with reminders (keep it to 2to 3 words. Like instead of no running… they hear running. U say… walking feet. )also maybe say remember if u can remember what we talked about then u get a sticker or treat. Outside time if possible… they have tons of energy they need to expel

1 Like

Mom’s from the mid 1950’s busted their little asses. Made good people out of them. I know, j was one of those little turds.

Mommys. We tend to lean towards entertainment in social media these days, it could be a negative reflection of disaster forever in the process of information and teaching as well as needs of our Family its hard i know but limit your phone time 30 mins even if they’re napping a hour. These ages are very important for mechanical skills learning to use their little hands with scissors and making things mom. Imaginary wonders and learning to read , I have seen some of my own youthful family let the kids run around play and fight while moms on the phone all day and when crying or lil fighting between the siblings occur the mom is bothered and even worse if spills of drinks food or items broke. So here is my advice i would suggest no social media at all period during the day or just before bed but once your children are asleep. Keep a schedule bedtime set 8pm daily including weekends naps set at 1-2 and be firm keep them busy learning . Art , Music ,planting foods , spelling reading counting and clean up time have them help organize things for tiddy living and lots of love. There’s a lot of stress in these times of the world i kept mine busy in church it helps not to mention you meet good friends . at the right church. In no way am i thinking your a Bad Mom and my advice is with kind words as we all struggle with knowing how to really get these babies to grow Happy and keep ourself from going insane at the same time. Keep them busy Mom and you will see a big difference . I hope this helps and you and your Family grow stronger in understanding and Joy

I’m a firm believer in spanking. Spanking has been my answer. Did not take my boys very long at all to understand that one two three before I got to four a spanking was on their bottom. You don’t have to hit them anywhere but on their bottom. Like some of the comments before mine stated don’t let it be wait till your father gets home. Take care of the problem or the bad behavior at the time of it happening. Always follow through with whatever you say is going to be the consequences of their actions. Children quickly learn that if their parents follow through that they will know the consequence. By doing this the boys knew that if they misbehaved I was going to follow through or their dad was going to follow through who ever seen the conduct not going in the right direction. Children are smart they know how far they can push their parents.

Be thankful that your kids can communicate. That is all

Apparently… Your boys are highly active and intelligent… With that tact: you need activities & toys that will keep them occupied… Try www.careDotcom and www.sittercityDotcom 4 more resources. Or www.firstfiveDotOrg 4 more assistance. Best wishes!

1 Like

Whoop that behind!!!

Spankings work great for mine

1 Like

A real good butt whooping

1 Like

my kids r 5 and 13-SAME SHIT here-HELP-Mine r girls too

Spankings go a long way…

15 Likes

Hello. Iam from syria
We lost our home becuse of war
We live in a camp near turkish border
We need help to get basic needs
Please help us,

Nanny 911 watch some episodes

I have three boys and all I can say is that it is very normal. Just remain consistent. As hard as it is you have to just keep at it. Another very important point is to pick and choose your battles. Otherwise you will find you can’t keep up. There are some battles not worth fighting or that you can fight another day. Each day will have its own new battles. Sometimes just getting them out to use up all that energy at the park or another activity can help. They have SO MUCH energy.

I would do the counting method and if they don’t get it together then old school method of rubberband. Give them a little snap once. They will learn real quick. Then next time when you start counting, they get their shit together. Lolol

Be firm mean what you say, and provide a consequence for when you’re not listened to. I have to with my kids, I expect to be listened to the first time not the second, third ect. It’s all about structure, follow through, and positive reinforcement.

Read james Dobson book on boys and strong willed children.

Get resources in your area too. Behavior therapists or parent parter program.

I understand this is a new generation but I’m really trying to see why you are letting toddlers take you down through there. Two times then it’s switch or belt time.

1 Like

Ok here is my input depending on what they don’t listen to. They don’t want to pick up toys? Ok fine…all toys going in a trashbag and gets hidden for a day… pretending you threw them away. Helped wonders on mine. Don’t wanna eat. Ok…then don’t …but you won’t get anything else either. Works even better if it’s just one of them and the others get snacks. You might have to repeat yourself a million times. " No you didn’t eat your food. You gotta eat food before snacks"
An bad action always get a not so fun consequence.
Fighting. Ok. Remember I said we would play later. Now we won’t because you cant be nice.
And allow them to cry about it or get upset. It won’t hurt them anything. You do something bad… something good gets taken away. Good things are earned. That’s how I did five of them. They got it pretty quick because nobody…including toddlers…want a boring day with nothing to do.

I have a friend who has been a lot of help to me. Try listening to what the kid wants to say, talking to them, and encouraging breathing. I know this seems phony, but it actually works for my 5year old son who is very hyper and has a harder time listening.

2 Likes