I Spend $1200 a Month on Groceries for Two Kids: Is That Too Much?

QUESTION:

"How much do you spend a month on groceries?

I spend about $1200 and only have two kids, so I feel like I am spending too much. What is your budget? How do you stick to it?"

RELATED QUESTION: I Need Help Budgeting for Food for a Family-of-Five: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Family of 4, approximately $500-$600 a month. I buy pet/cleaning/paper supplies with groceries as needed - that includes snack items for the kids and were feeding 2 dogs and 1 cat. I always make a meal plan before I go and usually shop for 2 weeks at a time. I find that if I only get stuff for a few days at a time I end up buying more things impulsively on each trip, costing me more bc I’m there more often. When I shop for 2 weeks at a time I will only go back if we run out of a necessity (milk, laundry soap, dish soap, etc.) Once the snacks I bought are gone, we don’t get more until the next trip. Anything you can buy in bulk saves over time. With our meals, ill buy the family pack of meat, even if I don’t need all of it. Portion it out into Ziploc bags and freeze it. I also try to plan meals around meat sales.”

“I spend no more than 200 a month in food shopping with a family of 7.”

“We have a family of 4 and spend about $600/month between Costco and the grocery store. That’s including cleaning supplies, paper towels, diapers, wipes, etc. I used to spend more but started making a weekly meal plan and sticking to it. I also cut back on buying snack foods, which saves a lot. I let my kids pick out one snack each every week. If they want a snack between meals, they usually have fruit or something now.”

“Family of 4 regularly with my bonus daughter part-time and we spend about 350-500 tops on food. I make meal plans and don’t buy “name brand” stuff for everything. I also go through ads and shop at different stores to save money.”

“Not sure if you have a sharp shopper or Aldi where you live but check into other grocery stores or go to multiple places. We spend about 350$ a month family of 2 adults one toddler. I go to about 4 different grocery stores for different items that are cheaper at different stores to accommodate our food allergies.”

“$1066 per month for 5 kids and 2 adults, I buy in bulk at Walmart and use the rest at Aldis and fresh produce market we always have the pantry stocked but I like to have extra in case of emergencies. I live in upstate NY so groceries cost a lot here.”

“We try to keep it at around $100 a week for my husband, toddler, and I. But we’re also lower-income and would probably spend more if we could. We do go over a little so I would say about $500 a month at most. We also include household and hygiene items in that, like diapers, wipes, cat food, litter, soap, etc.”

“$500/month approximately (family of 9). Sometimes it’s a bit more if I’m stocking up on things to replenish things. I don’t include any paper products, laundry items, etc in my grocery budget. Like others mentioned it can vary greatly based on where you live.”

“I have a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) & I spend about $800-$1000 monthly. I will do one big haul that’s usually around $500 & that includes the paper products (this includes diapers & wipes for my 18 mo old) & cleaning supplies etc needed for that month & then it’s between $50-$100 a week to replenish & things that go bad too fast like fruits, veggies, milk, eggs, etc.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

60 Likes

Oh lord…what do you buy?! I have 2 kids and we’re between 300 & 400 a month.

1 Like

I plan out meals then I make my grocery list for that and I make myself stick to it. I have 5 in my family and we are fat and fed on about $500. That is with me packing 2 school lunches.

I have one teenager and we spend about 800. It varies a bit month to month.

Household of 2 adults and 1 kid - about $600/mo

Holy shit. We are a family of 4 with a large dog and a cat. Including all groceries, pet food, and household essentials, I spend roughly $700-750/mo. And my kids eat freaking constantly lol.

There is a group called “Cheap meal ideas” , maybe this can help you.

A month? Like including diapers and wipes or just groceries?
Including diapers and wipes for a family of 3… approximately $700-800
Without that about $600-700.

I will add we have a family dinner at least twice a month and I have to cook for my family of 9

I spend about $500 a month and I have two teenagers, I budget and go to the store once a week, if we run out before the next week we do without .

2 Likes

Household of 2 adults & 4 kids, an we manage to eat all month on $350-$400

1 Like

About $800 per month for a family of 3, but the cost of groceries in NYS is higher than many other areas.

2 adults 2 kids and 4 animals -500

Wtf do you buy steak and lobster for everyone holy moses

1 Like

:anguished:. I have 4 kids and I spend no more than $700 a month on groceries.

1 Like

We have a house of 10 and I spent maybe 600 a month

1 Like

$1066 per month for 5 kids and 2 adults, I buy in bulk at Walmart and use the rest at aldis and fresh produce market we always have the pantry stocked but I like to have extra incase of emergencies I live in upstate ny so groceries cost a lot here

1 Like

We have 5 people and we are all adults we spend about 200 every month

1 Like

We bulk buy at Costco once every 3-4 months

1 Like

The answers are going to vary wildly because of regional pricing

3 Likes

One adult, one kid, 4 animals… around 450 a month

$1200 a month is what we spend 5 kids.

1200 maybe more family of 5

1 Like

My husband and I have 4 kids and my mom living with us and we spend about $400 a month. We coupon alot and eat fresh veggies too.

1 Like

Our income is 6 figures so we aren’t poor or anything but seeing the amounts some of y’all spend on groceries has me mind-blown. How do you afford it?

Like $400-500 a month for a family of 4 lol and two large dogs, a flock of chickens and turkeys.

$600-$700 for a family of 3

450 to 600 for a Family of 3

In nz I pay around 700 for myself and 1 child and that’s just the basics and splitting dinners over 2 nights as often as I can

1 Like

We have a family of 5 and spend $600 a month and that includes paper and hygiene

$ 800 - $ 1000 a month 2 adults 4 kids

2 Likes

We have a family of 4 and spend about $600/month between Costco and the grocery store. That’s including cleaning supplies, paper towels, diapers, wipes, etc.
I used to spend more but started making a weekly meal plan and sticking to it. I also cut back on buying snack foods, which saves a lot. I let my kids pick out one snack each every week. If they want a snack between meals, they usually have fruit or something now.

4 Likes

$600 just myself and my 2 daughters

300 to 400 a month for a family of 5 and 1 big dog

6-700 including eating out for a family of 5

About 700 for 3 kids 2 adults. Buy bulk, freeze leftovers, eat leftovers lol.

I spend about $500/month. Family of 4

When my 4 year old was like a year old I would do coupons and sales and spend 40 bucks every other week.
Now with 2 kids it’s like 100-150 a month

$400 for a family of three. We do almost all of our shopping at Aldi. Saved us a lot!

We have 4 adults we spend about $250 a month

2 Likes

Food and household supplies are probably around $1,500. Per month. Buying for 6 people. California and we eat pretty good, lol. This typically does not include eating out either.

I spend $400 a month family of 3

No more than like 200 lol.

2 adults and 2.5 kids(one is only every other weekend) and we spend about $600 ish.

800$ for 2kids and 5 adults

We are a family of 5 in NYC and spend around $800/month on groceries.

I coupon and try to only shop sale items. Buying store brands helps, too.

I can’t get my wife to buy groceries… If that happens they just for looks lol… She expects to order out every night then throw me a curve ball once or twice a week asking me to take her out… ummmmm maybe try to spend some time in the kitchen

1 Like

$1,500 for 10 kids and 1 adult :flushed:

1 Like

It really depends on where you live. I used to spend about $400 a week with a family of 6.

2 Likes

About $1100-1200 for a family of 6.

Omg how like wtf we spend like 300 once a month and we have 2 kids (family of 4)

200-259 a week. 2 adults one kid and a cat. That’s with budget and some aldi shopping.

I spend $300/m family of 3

400-500 a month 2 kids, husband & myself! We also have 2 cats & 2 dogs, but for the last month we’ve been feeding 2 more adults

I spent about $250 for a family of 4. Around $150-$200 now that it’s just my kids and I once a month.

2 adults and 3 kids and I spend about $700 a month

$300 a week depending on dietary requirements and location is not that crazy. Someone in San Diego will pay more than someone in Indiana.

I spend about $600-700 for a family of 4.

$600-$800 for two adults and five children

When my guy’s son, his son’s pregnant girlfriend and their baby lived with us (4 adults, and a 1 year old) last year we spent about $800-$900 a month, for the two of us we spend less than $250-$300, the 2 extra adults were pigs and each ate more per meal than both my guy and I eat in a full day. But it also depends on what you are buying, if you are buying fresh high quality food it is more expensive so is living on frozen dinners. There are many ways to save on groceries like coupons, only buying things that are on sale except for staples like milk and eggs. I also do meal planning and do not shop when hungry, or with hungry kids and shop with a list and stick to the list. Watch sale ads as well.

1 Like

Family or 5 and 1200-1600 a month.

Family of 3 and we spend about $600. But there’s also been times where we’ve only done $350 a month.

1 Like

Family of 4 and spend between 3 and 4 hundred a month

3 kids 2 adults about 7-800

900 with 6 kids 3 adults. We also eat mostly organic and lots of fresh veggies and fruit. Plan meals only buy what you need.

1 Like

Also it depends on what your buying. It cost a lot more to eat healthy. Such as vegan, organic etc

I spend no more than 200 a month in food shopping with a family of 7

10 Likes

$300 a month, family of 4. However, my bonus child is with us half the time and my husband works out of town several days a week so its often just my toddler and I. We also have lots of wild game meat.

1 Like

$700 a month for a family of three!

2 adults one teenager I spend about 500-600.

Me and my daughter and its like max 200 a week

200-250/week family of 5 with 3 pets

$350-400 once a month (I hate going food shopping so it’s only 1 day except for perishables) that’s 2 adults and 3 kids with minimal snacks. An extra $100 if I get my husband and kids (mainly my husband) a bunch of snacks. I cook a lot so saves us more

1 Like

We are the same 1200 a month easy :disappointed:

1 Like

3 kids and 3 adults and we spend atleast 200 a week most times its 300 a week!

$700 a month for a family of five including two teenage boys. We eat completely plant based and organic too.

Well are the kids doing online? How old r the kids? Older? For sure make a list before you go.

800-1000 a month 4 kids, two adults

2adults 2 teens and a toddler=1200/month. Average around that total usually. Sometimes a bit higher, at times lower.

$1000. Family of 7. Construction working hubby teenage son and homeschooling

I spend about 400 for me and my daughter.

Uuuhh… I guess it depends on what your getting and where your getting it from. Im on a tight budget there’s 5 of us and we spend 600- 800/m.
Im very precise on sales and have a deep freezer … That helps a lot.

$800-$850 + WIC for 3 adults 4 kids. Large trip to Aldi at beginning of month to restock on perishables and meat we’ve went through over the month. One monthly trip to Save A Lot for a few items. Then weekly or biweekly Walmart pickup order for anything in between. I also go to Giant eagle biweekly for milk and produce (through WIC).

Around $600 a month for a family of 4. We also have hog & cow meat frozen already.

we spend between $800 to $1200 per month.
its 3 kids, 3 adults. and 4 pets.

Roughly $1000 @ month to feed 4

Holy crap… .i have me and a teenager and 2 grown men i feed on $300 a month …i shop sales and in bulk

1 Like

Probably $300/month for a family of 5. What do you guys buy that you spend $1200!?

2 Likes

About 150/1.5 week with my husband, myself, and my son

Depending on my cravings or how much snacks/fruit I get for my son… I think we spend $400 a month MAYBE
It’s mostly just myself and my 2 year old who eat what’s in the house as my husband isn’t home for meals often.
And we have 3 dinner guests every 2 weeks for dinner

2 Likes

800/month 3 kids 9,3,1 and 2 adults

$1500 for a family of seven 2 adults 2 teens 3 primary

I spend about $700-$800 a month for 3 kids & 3 adults.
I buy meals & not so much junk all the time.

With my family of 7… my big guy husband, my 17 year old 6ft tall 240lb son, my 11 year old 105lb competitive soccer playing and BJJ and Krav Maga daughter, my 9 year old BJJ autistic daughter, my 7 year old BJJ doing son, and my hollow legged 4 year old son, and myself that generally only has time for one meal a day… we spend between $3k and $3500 a month. We don’t eat out except pizza may e twice a month and the random fast food for two of us for those out of town soccer games …

Spending about $300-$350/month for a family of 5 that includes 3 preteen children. That’s for weekly meals and snacks.

1 Like

Normally 400-600 a month a little more if there is a holiday in the month. 2 adults, 5 kids here

535 a month in foodstamps plus wic for 2 adults 1 kid

1 Like

I don’t know what I spend. I make my hubby go to the grocery store with me and we buy in bulk. No budget he doesn’t like left overs either.

We spend $400 a month, maybe less for my husband, daughter and myself

$500-600 family of 4

1 Like

Family of 6 and I would guess around 600- 800 max, depends on the sales and such. And time of year. We’ll be starting soups and chillis which I make enough to last for a few meals. If my budget is tight, I can feed us on 100 a week. We buy in bulk, we also buy a half a cow and butcher once a year and then freeze. And that makes my beef really cheap. 3 of my 4 kids eat lunch and breakfast at school though, but I do. Have to buy prepackaged snacks for snack time for 2. Right now, they are taking animal crackers from halloween because I could get a bag of 20 for like 3 bucks and that’s cheap. So I snagged a couple bags before halloween.