I Spend $1200 a Month on Groceries for Two Kids: Is That Too Much?

2 adults, 2 toddlers, one teen, and 3 dogs= about $1000 a month. I will add that we are all home all day every day (except the teen 90% of the time) bill am my mothers full time help. She has copd & severe stenosis in her back so she had to have help around the house/ with meals/shopping/yard etc.

1 Like

About 400 give or take a month for a family of 6.

$800-1200 family of 5 / some times 6 ( includes diapers and cat food and cat litter )
Lots of fruit and veggie
And we are in Canada

1 Like

About 400 or so me and my boys 9 and 7 aboit 100 a week ā€¦

1 Like

Plan out meals usually cheaper a month. I buy one meal at a time on the fly and end up spending like 100 dollars and have no complete meals lol i might have part ingredients for 2 seperate ones but no complete onesā€¦ hahaha when i go with a list i spend less and have everything ā€¦ hahaha

1 Like

At least 2k for a family of 4. We love food :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

We spend about $800 a month for food for 3 adults 2 children. We cook meals daily and cook mainly everything from scratch. We make lists and thatā€™s what we buy when shopping nothing extra.

I spend 800 a month and we are on special diets. Everyone has a sensitivity to milk. I also work around their religion needs. So mostly vegetarian. On occasion turkey and chicken

I spend around $650 for a family of 7

3 Likes

Muna Sheekh Maxamud kasheekee

1 Like

$800 and that doesnā€™t include eating out
Weā€™re 2 adults and 4 kids.
I cook a lot and we hardly have any leftovers to waste

1 Like

Family of 7. 500$. That even buy paper goods.

Family of 6 and we spend 1300 ruffley 2 adults and 4 kids 7,6,5,4

We do 100 per person for the month so we try to do around 700. Its what I learned for fun free or cheap budget bootcamp

1 Like

I spend 1200+ per month. Myself and 3 kids.

For 3 adults 1 toddler between $260 to $400. I BUDGET hard, plan meals out before I grocery shop, just to see what I have and donā€™t have, and if we have ā€œextraā€ spending money I buy extra snacks or sweets. We shop every 2 weeks (avg $130-200 for 2 weeks)

I spend $1100 a month on groceries. For a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 daughters. But we live in Hawaii so everything is expensivešŸ˜–

I have 3 kids and spend maybe 200 a month

1 Like

About $350 for my husband and I. I make a monthly meal plan chart and go shopping for the ingredients I need. Then of course some extras. Snacks, drinks. At the start of the next month we still have food left so I do inventory.

Somewhere around $700. Family of 4 and my husband takes 2 lunches everyday

When it was just my husband and I with one child we would spend about 300 per monthā€¦ We had maybe 600a month leftover for bills and necessities. Now we have four kids together and we spend maybe 500a month in food and about 1800 in bills and necessitiesā€¦if I can skip a bill to help cover food costs I willā€¦ We only make about 2450 per monthā€¦and thatā€™s if my husband is able to work the whole monthā€¦ Iā€™m a newly stay at home mom (again)ā€¦ Since daycare for my family alone is 1200 minimum per month

Omg :flushed: $300 and I have 3 kids but I coupon

$400-600 a month for a family of 4.

I spend about $800-$1000 a month for a family of 5. I also spend about a good $300-$400 a month on DoorDash and coffee.i work two jobs so sometimes Iā€™m too tired to cook. So total $1100-$1400 a month.

I try not to spend over $150-200 for 3 of us

1 Like

To everyone posting on how much you spend . Where are you from ? Pricing verys on where you live .

Honestly it depends on where you live, the amount of time everyone spends at home, the amount of snacking your family does, how many meals a day everyone eats at home, how many home cooked meals you have
If you can afford it and your family is happy, healthy, and full than keep up the good work
If youā€™re looking to lower your budget Iā€™d start planning meals out for the week prior to shopping as well as take advantage of discount stores and store ads/coupons

I have a family of 7 and we spend 600 a month

About $800 for 5 of us. And my kids are homeschooled so thatā€™s 3 meals a day. They eat leftovers or sandwiches for lunch so weā€™re not wasting.

I spend $100 a week. 3 teen girls. 1 six year old. And me and hub. We slaughter a pig and a cow every year.

Family of 3 with 3dogs and 2cats, we spend about say Ā£400 a month including all animals food, nappies,cleaning products, etc

Seems like alotā€¦
Family of 5. Spend about $600 on groceries. And maybe $100 on fast food

Wow I donā€™t even make that a month :grimacing:

1 Like

Uhhh I dont usually keep track but Iā€™m guessing a lotšŸ˜¬

$250 a month with plenty of groceries and dog & cat food & cat liter

My goodness, where do you live and what in the world are you buying?

2 Likes

800 a month if I make a menu and shop sales, 1000 if I splurge and shop hungry.

About 5-600 a month with 2 kids.
We meal plan each week and go out once every other week or so.

$300-$400 with a family of 3

$235 for one child and two adults

3 Likes

400 for 3 adults and we meal plan and rarely eat out. Buy in bulk and use sales.

About $150 every 2 weeks. Family of 4. We donā€™t buy meat because we butcher our own

2 Likes

I highly suggest Dave Ramsey for all your budgeting questions.

1 Like

Family of 6, kids are all boys. We are lucky if we can spend under 1000 a month on food.

2 Likes

1,600 a month for a family of 5

$240 a month for my husband & I and two kids.

3 Likes

300-400 2 adults & one kid

Family of 6 $200. I use coupons and so at farmers market

3 Likes

$500-$700 for 2 boys and 2 adults

About 2000 2500 a month but we have 6 kids. And 2 adults. And this whole home school thing is making it more food gone lol quicker. They want snacks every 5 seconds

2 Likes

Itā€™s just me by myself so I try to spend under a hundred dollars a month.

1 Like

$400ish give or take a month for 2 adults and 2 kids. Not including eating out/fast food.

700 a month. 3 adults and 4 kids. I meal plan and buy in bulk

1 Like

600-800 depending on the month thats including toiletries and household stuff and milk,diapers, medicines.
We tried not to go over 200 a week.
Follow dave ramsey and the budgetmom they helped me budget counciously and goal is to be debtfree.

1 Like

Two of us in the house and itā€™s $350-$400 per month.

About $500 for a family of four

1 Like

Visit couponmom.com, my better half got $600 in groceries for just under $300. The lady that taught her sometimes gets paid in gift cards to take groceries out of the store.

1 Like

I have our budget set at $400. A family of 4, plus my mother-in-law. T
Meal plan, so you can buy what you need. I almost go to the grocery weekly. I realize that a lot of food was being wasted, so meal planning helped with that. I also only cook enough for what we are going to eat. I try not to have a lot of leftover because that is usuly wasted. We also donā€™t buy a lot of snacks. I do seperated food from things like dish soap, paper towels, toilet paper etc. I have a smaller budget for that.

1 Like

I am lucky to be able to spend 200$ a month on groceries!! For a while we were barely surviving off 75$ a month but thatā€™s all we had to spend. food banks saved us and we are a family of 4 two adults two kids my husband and I have drained ourselves to only eat once a day so that our kids always have what that they need

1 Like

About $300-350. 2 adults 1 kid

$600-700 2 adults 2 kids
We shop weekly and try not to go over $200 a week

600-700
Two adults
One baby (nappies formula and wipes plus some punch food)
Three (soon to be four) large Pig Dogs
One cat

We shop fortnightly and what we buy and spend depends on my partners days off work

I have 2 kids and myself and I spend about 3-4

2 Likes

My family (my pregnant self, my husband, and our 1 year old) spend about $500 a month on just groceries. Donā€™t really have a way of keeping it that low it just kind of happened and stuck.

myself and 2 children, i spend $100/week

It depends,if I meal plan and donā€™t buy extra stuff such as junk food/snacks. I can spend about $125 a week for a family of 8. But this is with a set meal plan and slight bulk buys. I can get at least 5 meals from a 10 lb ground beef and get super creative. But thatā€™s one meat I buy. I rotate different meat each night.
If I get extras then I could probably spend as much as 200 a week. We try to avoid junk in the house now and will do special snack days.

1 Like

I spend about $650-700 a month for groceries, household essentials and personal care items. We are a family of 5. I make a meal plan for dinners for 2 weeks at a time as thatā€™s how often I shop. So I come up with 14 complete meals. I then writ down a list of items needed to make every single meal. So if we are having meatloaf I write down how many pounds of burger, any spices and any mix ins I use. I do that for everything. I then take that list and compare it to what I have on my shelves, refrigerator and freezers. If I need an item I circle it and if I donā€™t I cross it out. Once done with that I can create a shopping list based on only what I need so we donā€™t have much waste if any. It is a process but helps me save money. I also donā€™t buy premade snacks or desserts often. I instead buy ingredients need to make them that can also be used for other things.

2 Likes

I spend about that much on a family of 5 with one in nappies

A better question is how much do you spend on groceries and eating out? Some may not spend a lot on groceries, but the eating out tab is high, and Vice versa.

3 Likes

We spend $200-$300 every 2 weeks for just me my husband and 3 year old

We spend 4-500 a monthā€¦ weā€™re a family of fourā€¦

1 Like

About $150 a week for my family of three adults. Weā€™re big eaters.

300 a month for 3 of us.

for my husband daughter and i we spend about $100 to $125 a week

$150 a week. So $600 a month. Itā€™s me, my fiance, our 5 year old and 3 month old. On weeks we are low on money itā€™s only $100. Really depends on what in getting that week. Been getting deliveries now, and itā€™s closer to $200 a week but the mark up I just noticed is outrageous!

$500 a month. I feed a family of 4 daily and 8 of us every other weekend. We eat veey healthy. I do not buy chips, pop, processed foods etc.

We spend about $600 a month.
I have 2 boys but they are young.

Family of 5 with 3 dogs l(1 baby)
About $500

$300 a month for a family of 4, 2 dogs and a cat. Usually more around 350 if I need cat litter/shaving products or stuff like that.

I mean, I spend about $700-800 a month for 5 of us, but one of mine is only 6 months and formula is expensive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have 6 kids. I would say around $900 a month. Including toiletries, diapers and daycare snacks. I do stock up on items when they go on sale and buy in bulk.

Idk what you are buying but dang thatā€™s expensive. I have a family of 6 and we spend $600-$700 a month. But kids eat lunch at school so add that to the budget so add another $200

1 Like

I have two kids and just me, I am a bargain shopper but nothing insane and I spend around $300 a month and we eat good meals every night.

We spend about 1000 but I can make it on 400 in a pinch 6 kids and 2 adults

About $500-600 a month. Family of 6: 2 teenagers, 6 and 4yr old

1 Like

I spend about $1200 a month fr the husband n I n my 4 yr old.
But thats not just food it includes household n diapers n formula n dog food.

1 Like

We spend 4-500 a month and eat out 2-3 times a month, for a family of 4 that includes; diapers, wipes, bathroom necessities and etc.

1 Like

My husband, my 14 year old daughter, and myself- I spend $500-$600 a month. I make a list so that Iā€™m not grabbing stuff I donā€™t need but leave room for extras like snacks or something we may see and want.

1 Like

$400-500 a month. 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 dogs and a guinea pig.

Meal planning and only buying what I need for those meals really helps. We also have pretty simple meals.

2 Likes

HaHa :joy: u wouldnā€™t be happy with priceā€™s in AK.

2 Likes

I have 6 kids and I spend about 1200 to 1300 depending on how food Iā€™m willing to buy

I spend about $1k a month on a family of 3 but that does include toiletries and pet goods (2 dogs, 2 cats). If I had to guess for just groceries, I think about $600-800 of that is groceries? Weā€™re vegetarian and I buy a lot of fresh veggies and fruit. Itā€™s hard to reduce a food budget and not compromise quality. Especially if you donā€™t have a decent grocery store readily available.

I am very scheduled, every single Sunday I sit down with my kids and make a menu for the week. As we make the menu I make my grocery list and I use my ads to see whatā€™s on sale where and make my lists for what needs to come from what stores. I buy everything I can possibly buy from Aldi besides meat and I get it on sale at Fareway or Hyvee and when I see I good deal on something I buy a bunch and freeze it. Like Thursday I seen Fareway had hotdogs $.60 a pack and thatā€™s a savings of $1.35 a pack! So I bought 20 packs and froze them, my kids eat them for lunches and we do virtual school so they are home every meal. If I find a good deal on chicken, I buy a bunch and throw it in the deep freeze, hams I buy after Easter and freeze, stock up on turkeys around thanksgiving and etc. I do things like say on a Tuesday night I make a roast and do hot beef, I take the rest of the roast and the next night make beef and noodles. My kids love it and it saves me a ton of time! Just get creative and you can save a ton of money!

9 Likes

$600ish for a family of 4 (two toddlers). SAHM so three meals a day plus two snacks a day for the kids. I pretty much only shop sales and use coupons and save about $200+ a month. It was a lot less when the kids were in daycare and I worked bc I only had to worry about dinners and weekend meals for everyone! But then a couple hundred more for diapers/wipes & other necessities. (Plus 2 dogs)

I wanna say like 300 or so a month and thatā€™s including household items/diapers/wipes if needed. We buy more in bulk so it lasts. Itā€™s me, bf and our one year old. And we eat out ALOTTTTT

I think it makes a huge difference in how you eat. My son canā€™t have any processed foods or anything with added sodium. I spend $80/week just on produce, and cook every meal from scratch so my grocery bill is always high.

About $300. Myself and one toddler.

$1200 a month. Omg. U must eat good.

1 Like

For 3 adults and 2 children I spend about 200 a week on groceriesā€¦ Just food tho. Thatā€™s not taking Cleaning supplies and toiletries and dog food into account which I would guess would add another 150 or so to the grocery list for the month

2k a month family of 7 (5 boys 2 of which are teens)

1 Like