I Spend $1200 a Month on Groceries for Two Kids: Is That Too Much?

I have a family of four and spend anywhere from $400-700 a month depending on what’s going on. Hoping to get a deep freezer soon so we can bulk buy. We meal prep when we can! I’m curious how high food is where you live? How much is a gallon of milk?

1 Like

wow. about 500. household of 3 kids and 2 adults. we spend maybe $125 a week on groceries.

$800 for me and 3 kids (1 in nappies and on formula)

family of 3, we usually spend about $400 a month.

Typically for me, my husband, toddler, and not really the baby, we spend about $250 a month on food and other things during grocery runs. We do a big one ($120-180) the first week of the month and then a small $30ish essential stock up at the end of the month typically that one is like an extra box of cereal, maybe some potatoes or chicken nuggets, loaf of bread.

Uhhh i use wic and my job feeds me for free, I dont spend any money on groceries really. Maybe $40 a month?

About $400 for 5 of us with a special Gluten free diet.

Between groceries & eating out our food budget is $600 a month for 5 people. We shop at Aldi primarily which saves a lot of $

1 Like

Around 150-200 each week for a family of 4

I have 4 kids and 2 adults and I spend around 150 a week but at most 700 a month…

I plan my
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
And 2 snack time out on a monthly calendar though and by what we need and a few extra goodies the kids and husband want.

800 or so… 6 of us. And most is gluten free too (i have celiac)

Roughly $400 a month for family of 8 but like many said already look for deals and when you find them buy in bulk plus i live in cow country and get meat for free by relatives and friends so that helps a ton , potatoes and pastas go far and fill up

The same! 1200 I got 5 kids

550 a month family of five

About 400 for a family of 5

1 Like

Family of 3, $400-$500

1 Like

Menu planning with your children/family, will make a huge difference in how much you spend because like one of the ladies said you can do a roast one night and make something for the next day lunch or supper.

1 Like

140 roughly a week that’s with 4 sometimes 5 kids and 2 adults

So far family of 5 (myself and 4 toddlers) roughly $650.

There’s 2 adults, 4 kids, we spend $700-$750. I shop at Amazon pantry, Kroger and Aldi’s, definitely recommend those places especially Aldi and Amazon. On Amazon, I can get 6 pks of the big bottles of Pepsi and Mt. Dew for $2.50, 12 pks for $5, 12 pks of Poptarts for $2.70, 5 lbs bags of cereal for $5, you should check it out.

Over 1k or more less than a month :woman_facepalming: we live in Nunavut family of 8 :flushed::weary:

Family of 4, we spend about $500 a month(I have a very restricted diet).

For myself and my 2 daughters. We spend around $100-$150 a week. So about $500-$600 a month for a family of 3.

2 Likes

Wow… i spend 200 a month for a family of 2.

1 Like

Me alone I spend roughly $175-200 and I shop mostly Dollar General and Kroger.

1 Like

Try switching supermarkets, we do a tesco shop it’s in the hundreds, we can do a better shop at aldi and get more and it cost less and if its frozen go to iceland if you cant get your frozen from aldi I did a shop last week in aldi and iceland, I spent £65 in ice land and £23 in aldi, and come home with every thing we needed, like pack up stuff and normal food, in tesco it would of cost me at least £140

$500/month for a family of 4. Kids are gf, so that adds to our budget. Kids are homeschooled, eat all meals at home, minus Sunday, when we eat out between church and small group.

$480 a month for a family of 5, I don’t buy a whole bunch of snacks.

Family of 4… 2 kids 2 adults plus 2 cats, we spend between £80-£100 a week at Aldi

Family of 5, about 900$ at bjs

About 400 monthly for family of 4, well family of 3 my son is still on breastmilk. I shop at Walmart but thinking about switching to save a lot

1200?? What are you guys eating

5 Likes

You need to make a list of what you need and a budget and stick to it. Look up Dave Ramsey on YouTube

1 Like

It all depends on how you feed your family. I mostly make homemade. Some things are cheaper that way some are more expensive. We also eat grass fed meats and as much organic as I can afford

I spend roughly 150 a week. So 600 a month. We are a family of 4. 1 of the 4 being an infant and needing formula and diapers every week. 3 dogs getting a bag of dog food every week.

I meal plan, write my list out if what I need and stick to it. Also I’m in South Carolina.

I depends where you live to be spending that amount. Im in the UK so I’d spend about 100 a week, no point in shopping monthly when tescos & asda are close by, an theres only me an my daughter

I’m in Connecticut, family of 4 and I spend about 800-1000 a month with it being about 60-75% organic but CT is pretty pricey

I have a family of 5 and we have to spend around $1300 a month. This includes house hold items needed too. We don’t really set a budget but we should lol

Yikes that is a lot! Family of four and about 800

We are a family of 4 and I spend about $100 to $150 a week.

It honestly depends on how big your family is and where you livve

But that seems to be a lot

Meal plan use coupons and shop the sales. That’s how I lowered ours. And we still get the same stuff just cheaper

$500/month approximately (family of 9). Sometimes it’s a bit more if I’m stocking up on things to replenish things. I don’t include any paper products, laundry items, etc in my grocery budget. Like others mentioned it can vary greatly based on where you live.

2 Likes

Family of 4. I spend roughly 600-700 a month. Depends on what I plan on cooking throughout the weeks

I would say a 800 a household of 5 and Sunday dinners every week. Don’t necessarily budget. I do make a list and stuck to it. I also try to go alone if I can. Minimizing other junk getting thrown in.

There’s five of us in my house and I usually spend about $150 a week on groceries. I use coupons and budget for everything, so we spend about $600-$650 a month.

1 Like

$1000-1200 just 2 of us

Family of 4 we spend about $300 a month including household products.

1 Like

Family of 9. I spend anywhere from $1200-$2000 it just depends if I’m replenishing to have a little stockpile or not. Generally it includes all paper products, personal hygiene and cleaners.

800-1200 for 7 of us.

Family of 3 here with 1 dog. We spend roughly $300/month($350 every other month for dog food) Thats from shopping at Walmart and Aldi’s.

1 Like

Just me and 4 kids I spend between £300-£400 a month that’s from Iceland and aldi

Family of 5. Spend between 500-600 a month.

Family of 4 here who are currently eating all meals at home (also 1 dog and 1 cat), we spend about 700$ total for the month. That’s including other household items as well like cleaning products, pet supplies etc.

We purchase a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and make freezer meals and easy crockpot meals. We have also started building up a pantry which is wayyy easier than I thought it would be.

$1200 fir one adult and 2 kids is a bit much. Do you cook?? Or are you buying alot of already made meals? You can save $ cooking, make meals that also cover lunch or second dinner. PM me ill give you a few ideas. I raised 6 kids.

1000$ a month 2 adults 2 kids… but I buy a lot of fresh produce and leaner grass fed meats

About $1400 for our family of 6 but that includes household stuff as well as groceries.

I have 4 and i can soend 200 month and make it last til the next month. Idk how i do it lol but we never had much to splurge on food we dont buy a ton in snacks tho and we do need milk and extras once in awhile

$300-$400 for a family of 4, me being pregnant, 2 dogs, and 2 bearded dragons. The beardies get counted because they have to have lots of fruits and veggies as well as live insects

800 for a family of five

400-600 a month and that includes household cleaning goods as well as hygiene stuff. Family of 3.

We have 4 and spend at least 800 a month or more. Ugh

Coupons/ shop sales- pick a store and download app. Buy generic. Are you buying organic?

Family of 5, $700 per month

We spend around $1,300 per month for a family of 5, however my 5 month old doesn’t cost too much to feed at this point as I make all of his food. This does not include anything for our 3 dogs and 2 cats, because we purchase that on Chewy.

I have a a family of 6 I spend about 700 s month me and husband learned to budget shop we make a list plan out dinners before we go and figured out how to feed an army on a shoestring budget

Family of 3 and I’m expecting and I’d say we spend roughly $450 a month. I typically spend a little over $100 a week. We also usually order take out at least once a week.

Family of 5 about 600

After looking into the costs for a long time, found that the average cost of groceries is $65/person each week. I managed to do it for $35/person each week with price match and coupons.

Family of 4, one on formula only, three of us that eat food. 400-500/ month plus 100/month for formula

Family of 4-$300-$400 just on groceries, that doesn’t include toilet paper, paper towels, diapers etc (I have all that on my Amazon monthly subscription)
The easiest way to stick to budget is when I used Walmart pick up $300…when I go in to shop I always tend to pick up stuff I don’t absolutely need but we’ll still use…$400…

I spend about 600-700 for a family of 4

About 800 family of 4 plus 1 dog. Not including any takeout

Family of 4 and we spend about 400 to 500 a month

150 a week two adults and two kids. Includes hygiene items, dog food, etc.

1 Like

About $500 per week on food

1 Like

We budget $100 per person per month for groceries. So, for our family of 4, that’s about $400 a month. This includes nonfood items like toilet paper and laundry detergent.
We have take out once a week but that comes from our entertainment budget. Meal planning is key to sticking to the budget.

2 Likes

I spend around 150 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids

I spend about 1000 a month for a family of 5 and that’s on the high side. We eat as cheap as possible with 2 kids in diapers and only 1 income the $ just isn’t there for extras

About £600/700 I’m a single mother with 2 kids

I spend around 800 but we are a family of 6

Family of 4- around 400-500 a month

Around $500 a month, that’s two adults, two kids ages 6 & 7 and a newborn on formula (we don’t get WIC)

1 Like

I spend around $800-1000 for a family of 5 with 2 growing boys who eat like crazy

Family of 4, approximately $500-$600 a month. I buy pet/cleaning/paper supplies with groceries as needed - that includes snack items for the kids and were feeding 2 dogs and 1 cat. I always make a meal plan before I go and usually shop for 2 weeks at a time. I find that if I only get stuff for a few days at a time I end up buying more things impulsively on each trip, costing me more bc I’m there more often. When I shop for 2 weeks at a time I will only go back if we run out of a necessity (milk, laundry soap, dish soap etc.) Once the snacks i bought are gone, we don’t get more until the next trip. Anything you can buy in bulk saves over time. With our meals ill buy the family pack of meat, even if I don’t need all of it. Portion it out into ziploc bags and freeze it. I also try to plan meals around meat sales.

7 Likes

Id say 600-700 for a family of 4.

It really depends on where you live. I spend between $400 and $500 a month to feed 5 people. I shop the sales, plan meals around what’s on sale and we dont eat out very often. I also live in the midwest so meat prices seem to be a lot less than other regions of the country

We’re a family of 9 (7 kids and 2 adults). Our budget is $350 every two weeks, so $700 a month.

Family of 5 and we only spend around 7-800. And that’s buying extras like snacks too. We stock up on meat 1 month then pantry items the next. It helps.

I am able to spend $85/week for 6 people, but usually between 150 to 250

Around 700$ for a family of 4-6 we have my step children every other weekend.

Around $800-$900 (family of 5)

What the hell are you buying with $1,200? I have a family of four and spend 500 a month

About 200 a week for a family of 7.

Family of 7 and we make lunches for school. We spend between 1200 to 1600 a month. You are definitely overspending.

We spend about 600-800 a month and we have 6 kids :joy:

We spend about $600 a month a family of 4.

About 1200 a month, 2 kiddos that eat food and an infant plus 2 adults

$200/month Winco
$150/month Baby formula
$350/every other month Costco
Family of 4: 1toddler, 1infant and 2 adults

I’m a SAHM so I try my best to only eat at home and send my husband to work with dinner leftovers which he doesn’t seem to mind
I don’t cook on weekends though! Except Sunday nights cause works M-F

800 is on the low side for us. Family of 4 really about 1000.