I Want My Daughter to Know Her New Sibling: Should I Reach Out to My Ex or His New Partner?

QUESTION:

"I am unsure how to go about this situation; I have been separated from my daughter’s father for nine years; my daughter is 10. He’s been a minimal aspect of her life with phone calls here and there but nothing consistent.

I recently found out he has another child on the way; he has not told my daughter yet about it. I’m not 100% sure of the relationship status of him and the woman pregnant with his child. I do not feel like it is my responsibility to tell my daughter about the new baby, but I don’t want to hide it from her either, and her father is not the type of person to see this as an important thing to do.

Is it wrong for me to reach out to the woman and start to try and build a relationship for my child and her soon to be half-sibling?"

RELATED QUESTION: I found my little sister on Facebook and want to contact her: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Let sleeping dogs lie. He hasn’t been part of her life and her having a relationship with her sibling is likely to reopen that wound.”

“I personally would not do it as of now maybe in the future you really don’t want to get your daughter’s hopes up for a relationship that might never happen.”

“Being that kid whose split parents hid a sibling until I was 10, tell her. It should be his responsibility true and give him the opportunity to do so. But you’re just as responsible for her emotional well being. Lemme tell you, when I found out about my older sister and knew none of the adults in my bubble were mature enough to tell me the truth; not only was I sad, I was furious with them. OH and I blamed them both. You will not escape with “Well it was his responsibility to tell you, it was his call”. Oh no, that will not fly with a kid, especially when she trusts you most in the world. In fact, it’s a great way to make her question what else you’ll lie to her about or have lied to her about. I know some may not agree, however, I have been that kid. From experience tell her the truth. Best of luck with the situation however you decide to approach it.”

“YES, it would be wrong to go around the father of both girls despite who you are (the mom to one) and what your intentions are. You can talk to the father, ask him what he intends to do, explain your feelings but beyond that, it is really his call.”

“I personally wouldn’t. Just let it be. It’s not your business to tell. If he tells her that’s his business. He isn’t consenting to her life. What if he is to this new child. You’d cause her a whole lot of unnecessary pain.”

“Reach out with caution. You don’t know the story or what kind of woman she is, or what your ex told her about you. Maybe do some research first, a little Facebook stalking and such to know what you’re dealing with. And be prepared to back off in case she ends up being hostile or toxic.”

“Maybe wait until the child is a bit older before contacting this other woman. It seems like there’s a lot going on here and you don’t want to be involving your child in that right now or get her hopes up about a sibling. There are 9 years between them; they can’t exactly play together so she’s not going to miss out on much.”

“Honestly I would suggest waiting simply because 10 is a fragile age and the news that the absent father is having another child may incorporate feelings of not being good enough or wondering what she did wrong. That’s just my opinion and as a mother myself I would consider my daughter’s feelings over anything but also understand that some adult situations are hard for children to fully understand and sometimes may turn it inwards.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s wrong. She has the right to know her sibling!

Let sleeping dogs lie. He hasn’t been part of her life and her having a relationship with her sibling is likely to reopen that wound.

17 Likes

I personally would not. If he wanted y’all to know, he would contact y’all. Sounds like a dead beat to me

8 Likes

I personally would not do it as of now maybe in the future you really don’t want to get your daughter’s hopes up for a relationship that might never happen

7 Likes

Hell naw his problem not yours.
think of it this way what if he has a relationship with a new child and doesn’t with your daughter how’s that going to make her feel.

5 Likes

Honestly what if this makes her excited to have a sibling and desire that relationship and then he still has little to do with her, then she has the pain of no father and not knowing her sibling. I am good friends with my daughters brothers mother and we dont communicate through there father at all

1 Like

No she has a right to build a connection to this sibling

YES, it would be wrong to go around the father of both girls despite who you are (the mom to one) and what your intentions are. You can talk to the the father, ask him what he intends to do, explain your feelings but beyond that it is really his call.

3 Likes

I think that’s a lovely thing to do xxx

Absolutely reach out and try to build that relationship for your daughter!

I don’t see a problem with reaching out. It is not your child’s fault or this new baby’s fault that their father doesn’t act like a dad. The kids have a right to know each other.

Just wait and see what happens first

2 Likes

Stay out of it
How often is your daughter going to see the half sibling? That would also mean the father being involved in the other kids life. Also what’s to say the other woman knows anything about your kid at all.
Let the father tell the kid if he even talks to her. You opening a door of so much additional bullshit and stress.

That’s a double edged sword. Your daughter has a right to know her sibling, but her father is barely a part of her life to begin with. By going around the father and reaching out directly to the mother of his other child, you may drive a further wedge between him and your daughter/you causing unnecessary drama. I’ve seen situations like this cause the father to withdrawal completely and the other mother become spiteful (she may not even really know about your daughter). All that came from reaching out was anger and the end result was that the child ended up hurt with no relationship with the sibling.

Personally, this is something you need to discuss with the father and find out what his feelings are. If he doesn’t want you reaching out, then you may have to let it be and accept that your daughter isn’t going to know her sibling.

1 Like

Let it be. Leave well enough alone.

2 Likes

I’ve been there.
I did not feel it was my place to try and form a relationship with the other children of my sons sperm donor.
Just because YOU want your daughter to have a relationship with the other child, doesn’t mean that other mother wants the same for her child. You stated you don’t know the relationship between the other woman and him; maybe she doesn’t want him involved and by proxy that means your daughter as well.
I think you need to have a conversation with her father, and listen to what he would like, because at the end of the day; that other child is his- not yours.

1 Like

How did you find out? Did he tell you or did you find out through rumors? I’ve seen this kind of thing go multiple ways. A few times the mom’s became good friends & kept the siblings in each other’s lives. On the other hand I’ve also seen it go bad. Children are used to keep tabs on an ex or for control. I think first you have to find out if it’s true & who she is. Then I guess reaching out to her isn’t a bad thing as long as you’re doing it for the kids & you’re both ready to loose the relationship if it goes bad.

Does this other woman know about you and your child? If not then leave things alone. Your child doesn’t have her father in her life whatever the reasons are and it wouldn’t be healthy for her or the sibling to push for them to have a relationship.

1 Like

Maybe wait until the child is a bit older before contacting this other woman seems like theirs alot going on here and you don’t want to be involving your child in that right now or get her hopes up about a sibling theres 9 years between them they can’t exactly play together so not going to miss out on much

1 Like

No no no and no. That’s going to be his child and if he himself does not want a better relationship with his first child, your daughter, then what makes you think they will want her to have one with the new baby. It’s sad, yes. Very. But that’s my honest opinion. I do, however, suggest getting her into some form of therapy bc my father left when I was three and called like once a yr and my childhood and teenage yrs were very much s struggle for me bc I didn’t understand why I had to find out through others that my father chose a new family over me. Give her an unbiased ear to listen to help her cope when the time comes. Please. My sister and I were not given the chance to get our anger and frustrations out and I chose to binge eat my feelings. She chose drugs and alcohol. Just be vigilant that this will have some sort of effect on her psych whether not be big or small. :heart:

Let it be. Save yourself the drama.

1 Like

I say wait until baby is born and then make sure it is your daughter’s sibling. If so then try and make sure that they have bonding time!

1 Like

Is this child even born yet? You said “expecting” let this woman get through her pregnancy before you start planning events for your child and their half sibling.

With that said, I understand why you would be feeling a certain way. I also find speaking to your ex’s wife about getting together with the kids as a bit of an overstep. If your child’s father wanted to be in your child’s life, he would. So would she.

But I don’t think you’re wrong for feeling the way you do.

I think you should stay out if that situation. Like everyone else says. Let it be.

Yeah i would make contact with her. I maybe wouldn’t tell your daughter just yet, maybe wait until you have spoken to your ex and his partner. You never know, this might open up something really lovely and if it doesn’t then atleast you know you tried.

1 Like

Being that kid whos split parents hid a sibling until I was 10, tell her. It should be his responsibility true and give him the opportunity to do so. But you’re just as responsible for her emotional well being. Lemme tell you, when I found out about my older sister and knew none of the adults in my bubble were mature enough to tell me the truth; not only was I sad, I was furious with them. OH and I blamed them both. You will not escape with “Well it was his responsibility to tell you, it was his call”. Oh no that will not fly with a kid, especially when she trusts you most in the world. In fact, it’s a great way to make her question what else you’ll lie to her about or have lied to her about. I know some may not agree, however I have been that kid. From experience tell her the truth. Best of luck with the situation however you decide to approach it.

3 Likes

To me that’s strange only because the father is absent. If he was a part then I’d support this 100% and say thats awesome!
Overall id say leave it alone.

1 Like

Not your business to tell. If he’s not consistent in her life then why is he even an issue?

3 Likes

Reach out with caution. You don’t know the story or what kind of woman she is, or what your ex told her about you. Maybe do some research first, a little Facebook stalking and such to know what you’re dealing with. And be prepared to back off in case she ends up being hostile or toxic.

2 Likes

Honestly I would suggest waiting simply because 10 is a fragile age and the news that the absent father is having another child may incorporate feelings of not being good enough or wondering what she did wrong. That’s just my opinion and as a mother myself I would consider my daughters feelings over anything but also understand that some adult situations are hard for children to fully understand and sometimes may turn it inwards.

1 Like

Don’t get involved. Not your place. Your priority is your child.

4 Likes

I personally wouldn’t. Just let it be. It’s not your business to tell. If he tells her that’s his business. He isn’t a consent in her life. What if he is to this new child. Youd cause her a whole lot of unnecessary pain

3 Likes

100% your daughter should know & has the right to know that she has a sibling in the world! But I would speak to your ex 1st before you just go ahead & contact the woman

2 Likes

Leave it for now speak to your daughter then both of them and decide what to do from there

My soon to be ex husband has an almost 17 year old that he hasn’t seen since she was 4. Mostly because of the mom, but he isn’t completely blameless. I found her on tiktok and reached out. She talks to my kids (her siblings) every night.

I have 12 siblings too. This year I just found out that I have 12 siblings , my parents were separated for more that 3 decades and I haven’t see my father for 31yrs now we’ve just talked through phone last january and he told me then that I have siblings.

To be honest since I haven’t seen them for a long time I am not interested to get a long with them. Don’t judge me I am just being honest here I am not mad at them because I don’t have to I just believe that TIME WILL COME for me for them that we can talk and settle things we don’t need to rush things to get better. :slight_smile:

So what is your end goal. Is it just so she’ll know she has a sibling, or so they can get to know each other? And what would that look like? Your daughter going to girlfriends house to visit? You having child at your house? How will they get to know each other? If dad isn’t a constant in her life and you have to depend on him to take her to visit, seems like that isn’t going to happen. For now, I just don’t see anything coming from it for a few years since the sibling is so young. And your daughter may think he loves the baby more than her, in her mind, since he’s not with her he must be with the baby(even if he’s not)and if he’s with the baby why can’t he be with her (I’m saying that’s what she may think). She doesn’t need that at this age. If dad chooses to introduce them, let it happen but don’t put her in that situation unnecessarily at this point.

I would first gather as much information as you can get your hands on. You never know for sure if the child is his or not. Once you have that you can make a better decision. I will however say that if dad doesn’t tell her ( if baby is his) and she finds out that you knew about it, she may find you just as gletey as him. If I was sitting in her shoes I’d want to know. Ultimately it’s up to you if you decide to tell her. And there’s always therapist ect… that could help her deal with it all.

Not your place. The pregnant woman may not be aware of you or the child.

1 Like

The bio dad of my oldest 2 wanted to reconnect 9 years ago, but didn’t want his new kid having any contact. This hurt my kids, to be his shame. Disappeared for 9 years and tried to reconnect again, by sending my daughter fb messages. She showed me, upset. I told him to leave her alone (on her behalf). They are damn near grown and want nothing to do with him. Let it be up to him, and his new baby mama, and they can live with either knowing your wonderful child this whole time, or embracing the fact that she will likely reject them completely if they do it to her when she’s just a child.

Being that “other pregnant women” my self I was glad the ex reached out to me! I was in a shit situation and she knew exactly what I was going through, so it helped knowing what to expect with a absent father. My kids know who their older siblings are and know how to reach out to them if they need them. The ex doesn’t like it but it’s not about them it’s about the children. Absent father or not give the kids a chance to get to know each other

No it’s not. My only son has 5 half siblings and I have a relationship with both of those women. My child also has no relationship whatsoever with his bio father, but he was adopted by my current husband.

I can’t give advise really but I can tell you my experience. I have never had a relationship with my bio dad. I was adopted by my mom’s 2nd husband so there was really nothing lost there for me. When I was 18 my mom informed me that I had an older half sister and I found her on MySpace. My mom did not tell me sooner because my sister’s mom had passed when my mom was still with my bio and she knew our dad was raising her - as my bio had denied me my mom hadn’t wanted to complicate things by telling me sooner and I do not hold it against her. 15 years later and my sister is literally my best friend. We speak daily and she even lived with us for a few months when moving state. Now we also have a younger sister by our dad that neither one of us have gotten the chance to know because her mother has chosen to protect her from our bio and subsequently us and that’s okay. We understand, he’s a piece of shit.

I guess my point is you can either try to forge a relationship or not if it’s supposed to happen it will but honestly, it’s not really your place I don’t think. By your own admission you don’t know the status of their relationship. What happens to your daughter if he’s still close to this baby mama or if he ends up being 100% involved in the upbringing of the child whereas he’s already neglected your daughter. That’s going to sting. You can reach out to her and ask if she wants to get the kids together but don’t force a square peg in a round hole.

2 Likes

Nope. Don’t. It is not your place.

I have a sister I didn’t meet till I was about 12. We have a really strained relationship aswell now as adults. But wish I had of grown up with her as I am close with most of my siblings except her

I have a half brother that was raised across the country by his dad and I didnt meet him until I was about 10. I always knew he existed but he was an adult by the time we met. We talk on the phone a lot but I haven’t seen him in about 12 years. It’s still better than never knowing him at all.

I’ll start with I have 4 siblings I grew up knowing and 4 I have never known threw my biological father who passed when I was a teen. One of my sisters from my father found me this year on fb!! We have began to build a relationship but with the age gap and us all being grown theres no memories and things we shared growing up, 2 of my kids-9&11- have siblings from their biological father they had never met until this year- my kids being his 3rd and 4th child one of the 2 older kids reached out to me on fb shes 16! It’s been a much better experience for my kids getting to meet their sibling younger than it’s been for me being older. Definitely reach out and try to build that relationship, when parents are dead and gone- I know its harsh but it will happen- kids will always have their siblings as a support system. Life is tough Family is stronger.

I’m actually friends wit the mothers of my children’s other siblings and we all get along great. It doesn’t hurt to try. Your child has the right to know.

My son has 5 other siblings from his bio father. He is only 6, he doesn’t need to know but I’ll probably tell him when he’s around 12 or 13… we have a blended family as is now so he’ll probably understand by then.

1 Like

As someone who didn’t get to know an older half sister early in life, you might want to really think about reaching out to the mother. It’s honestly hard to talk to my sister because I guess neither of us feel that sibiling connection. I wish I could have gotten to know her a lot sooner.

I don’t think it would hurt to send a friendly message and just see how she responds to you and go from there.

2 Likes

My oldest 2 boys have half siblings that they will probably never met bc the girls that their mothered their half siblings say they don’t know who their byo father is (hes a low life piece of shit)

Reach out to the mother first and see how she feels about it.

2 Likes

My oldest has 6 siblings he doesnt know yet (he’s 9) i keep in contact with one of the moms (of 4) so when he gets older and I tell him who his father is (he thinks my ex-husband is and has never met his bio dad who didn’t want anything to do with him) then I can tell him where they are and they can meet and everything. We have talked about starting pen pals with the kids as they live in Florida and we are in Michigan so they can start to get to know each other that way

No .it would be too confusing . when she is older tell her then she can decide

Well tell her but it is not your responsibility to have your daughter be into a relationship with her new siblings, that will come when they are a certain age that they will make their decision to want to meet. Also let her know that it’s nothing agaist her or that any of the kids are to blame of because remember her other siblings don’t have anything to do with grown ups decisions.